Type keyword(s) to search

Casting: News & Wishlist

Athena
  • Start Topic

I always kind of pictured a Neil Patrick Harris type, but again I have every confidence in the casting team because it's been so amazing so far.  I need to see him in something I think.  

28 minutes ago, morgan said:

I always kind of pictured a Neil Patrick Harris type, but again I have every confidence in the casting team because it's been so amazing so far.  I need to see him in something I think.  

What!  Uhm how do I phrase it , I don't find NPH aesthetically pleasing at all . His entire face is too close together leaving too much just head . 

I don't really picture characters and usually the actors then take over my imagination  but if I had to come up with my John version I'd go with a German actor nobody's ever heard of . A couple of years ago a German soap named "Unter Uns" had a guest character named Yannick and he looked like my interpretation of fine boned and beautiful without being too feminine .

• Love 1

Well he looks nothing like what I pictured or the actor I was hoping for, but I trust them. He'll be fine I'm sure. There's more to think about than just what he looks like.

I wonder when we'll hear about some of the other new characters! I hadn't thought about casting in awhile, but I guess it makes sense that they've got people, since they've started filming. Duh. :)

I watched the episode with young John today (Don't you love when afternoon work meetings are cancelled?) and I saw the resemblance between him and this guy. Or rather I didn't see any glaring differences that would take me out of the story. 

1 minute ago, katville said:

I watched the episode with young John today (Don't you love when afternoon work meetings are cancelled?) and I saw the resemblance between him and this guy. Or rather I didn't see any glaring differences that would take me out of the story. 

I guess it's akin to "in the eye of the beholder" because I saw more resemblance between actor who played Young John and Cousin Simon, than between the former and David, who will be playing Adult John.  And I suppose I'm harping on it because this show has done SO well in casting. Hello! Actor who played Alexander Randall? I recall reading many comments how he looked so much like Tobias Menzies. But, the important thing is if he can bring the character to life.

Oh, he's cute. I'm confident they made a good choice. Said as someone who never saw "Jamie" in Sam by just looking at pictures. It wasn't until he was onscreen in the character that I was glad for the choice TPTB made.

I always pictured the blonde redcoat captain Duncan from Last of the Mohicans as how LJG looked. That was never going to happen, I think that actor is way too old now, LOL.

• Love 3

If you have Netflix, you can catch his episode of Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries. It's the second episode of season one, Murder on the Ballarat Train. I can't remember which of the two college guys he plays, so I might have to rewatch to remind myself.

I'm sure he'll be good. I'm never really good at imagining faces anyway so I'm never really too bothered by that. It's usually too hard to find a really good physical match anyway so I try not to think too much about that. As long as the acting is good I guess.

2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I guess it's akin to "in the eye of the beholder" because I saw more resemblance between actor who played Young John and Cousin Simon, than between the former and David, who will be playing Adult John.  And I suppose I'm harping on it because this show has done SO well in casting. Hello! Actor who played Alexander Randall? I recall reading many comments how he looked so much like Tobias Menzies. But, the important thing is if he can bring the character to life.

You are right about Alexander Randall. It was almost eerie how much he looked and sounded like Tobias Menzies. They have knocked it out of the park with casting so often that even maybe slight missteps like Brianna (and TBH, I am not sure it was a misstep as much as it was just a tough role to tackle) seem larger than they are. But I am still optimistic that he will be able to convincingly inhabit Lord John.

• Love 3

I missed all the online wailing and gnashing of teeth that happened when Sam was first cast but I've heard enough about it to reserve judgement on this casting.  He's nice looking.  Some of his photos make him look very young (perhaps they are from a few years ago -- his face looks fuller with a bit more "baby fat" for lack of a better word) and that can be a good thing because John is supposed to be about ten years younger than Jamie.  His photo doesn't match my mental picture at all.  For some reason he's a blonde in my head -- I have no idea if he's a blonde in the book -- but he doesn't need to dye his hair.  If TVDougal can be bald then TVLordJohn can be a dark brunette.  The only people who's hair color matters are Jamie and Brianna -- and they've signed up to be bottle-gingers for the duration.  In my head Claire has always been more fair-haired than she is described in the book.  I have no idea why but there's no changing it now.  So Cait's dark brown hair still takes me a bit by surprise when those two versions of Claire collide in my brain.

But back to the new guy -- David Berry.  He's nice looking.  He's too tall but I'll get over that. Perhaps they were afraid a smaller man lusting after our hero would be viewed as comical and that's not the reaction they should be going for.  When Jamie rejects John's advances I will be firmly on Jamie's side but I HOPE I will also feel some sympathy for John rather than distain for his unrequited feelings.  Anyway I'll be reserving judgement until I see him act.  I just LOVE Lord John so I'm a bit surprised by my muted reaction to this casting.  I thought I would be more excited.

• Love 1

John is definitely a blonde. I do remember that much, and Diana always made a point of the color of his hair. It's Hal's she kept changing.  And she also described  Claire has being a brunette.

But fair point about if show!Dougal can be follicly challenged, then David Berry's Lord John can be a brunette.

Speaking of Brianna.  Last night I watched The Visit and the young actress (Olivia DeJonge) who played the 15yo character kept reminding me of Sophie Skelton as Bree.  Part of it was the hair but as the movie went on, every time she opened her mouth I thought of Skelton.  So I looked her up on IMDB and learned that she's Australian and is doing an American accent in the movie.  

I am now almost entirely convinced that the problem with Skelton is the accent, rather than her acting skills and I'm cautiously hopeful that as she gets better with the accent, her acting will improve. 

The actor looks more like how I've always pictured book Roger, but we'll see.  John is described in the books as blonde, shorter, and somewhat girlish or effeminate looking.  I'm not generally too much of a stickler for that sort of thing unless a character's physicality is one of their defining characteristics.  For example, book Dougal isn't a bald silver fox and book Gellis isn't a ginger but it doesn't really change anything about them to be portrayed as such.  Jamie and Brianna have to be redheads who physically resemble each other, just as if they get that far William will also have to resemble both characters, or it changes how they recognize and relate to each other. 

And nothing says the actor can't wear a wig if they decide to go that direction in a story set when many officers and upper class men did.  Tobias Menzies has certainly done so credibly.

Edited by nodorothyparker
  • Love 1
58 minutes ago, nodorothyparker said:

The actor looks more like how I've always pictured book Roger, but we'll see.  John is described in the books as blonde, shorter, and somewhat girlish or effeminate looking.  I'm not generally too much of a stickler for that sort of thing unless a character's physicality is one of their defining characteristics.  For example, book Dougal isn't a bald silver fox and book Gellis isn't a ginger but it doesn't really change anything about them to be portrayed as such.  Jaime and Brianna have to be redheads who physically resemble each other, just as if they get that far William will also have to resemble both characters, or it changes how they recognize and relate to each other. 

And nothing says the actor can't wear a wig if they decide to go that direction in a story set when many officers and upper class men did.  Tobias Menzies has certainly done so credibly.

Is Dougal not bald? Graham McTavish's portrayal is so pitch perfect that anytime Dougal is mentioned in the books, he is who I envision. He IS Dougal.

• Love 1

Good points on Dougal and Geillis.  Both Graham and Lotte simply are their characters, even though in the book they are so different.  I think Jenny had to be a brunette, loaghaire needed to be blonde, and of course Jamie and Bree readhead/Claire and Roger brunette.  But I think I will be fine with a tall brown haired LJG.  Just decided that.  Can't wait!

As someone who likes blond guys a lot, I was really hoping that they would cast a blond actor for Lord John. But maybe they will dye David's hair. Still, I'm trying to be optimistic about this casting news because so far the Outlander casting department has done such a great job. Also, as Grashka pointed out above, the chemistry between Jamie and Lord John is key and if David Berry manages to bring that across I'll be satisfied with his casting. Lord John is one of my favourite characters so I'm a bit anxious that the show gets him right. I'm beyond excited about seeing adult Lord John in season 3. I just reread Voyager and there are so many scenes with him that I cannot wait to see on screen. I wish season 3 would air sooner, Droughtlander really sucks.

• Love 2

I just finished watching the first three seasons of A Place to Call Home and David Berry was mesmerizing in his role on the show. For those who've never seen the show/his performance I can attest to the fact that he will knock it out of the park as Lord John Grey.

I can't wait for him on Outlander and I highly recommend everyone find a way to watch A Place to Call Home. It's absolutely fantastic in every way possible.

• Love 2

Yes, David Berry will be fine.  I watched the episode of Miss Fisher's Murder Mystery that he is in and while he didn't get a ton of screen time, he got enough that I can easily see him being Lord John.  

The Starz press release says John Bell is 18. So I suspect he's for the long term. I'm also impressed with his acting resume.

John Bell, 18, has been acting professionally since winning a small part in Doctor Who at age 10 by entering a competition on BBC's Blue Peter. His career took off from there and he has been working in TV and film since that lucky start. He played Helius in "Wrath of the Titans" directed by Jonathan Liebesman and then went to New Zealand to play Bain in "The Hobbit - The Desolation of Smaug" and "The Hobbit - The Battle of the Five Armies" both directed by Peter Jackson.

Bell's TV career includes recurring roles in BBC Scotland's "Life of Riley" and CBBC's "Tracy Breaker Returns" as well as roles in "Midsomer Murders" and the TV mini-series "Hatfields & McCoys" for the History Channel.

• Love 1

He does look young, but at 18, he's the right age for Young Ian. If the show gets two or more seasons after this one, he'll need to train like Sam does. I've never pictured Young Ian as muscled, but more lean and toned. He still has to look like he can fight. I'm satisfied with this casting news.

• Love 1

It is a little surprising that he is 18, but then I look at my own 14 year old son and pictures of my husband at 18 and then I can believe it.  Lol.  I have definitely always seen Ian as lean and lithe.  Hope John Bell likes dogs.....

• Love 3

He looks like mini Sam Heughan. Damn. I thought it'd be impossible to find a William. Now I hope they can find another one to actually play William.

And he was the boy who played Creet in Doctor Who in the Utopia episode in 2007?! Geez, where do the years go.

• Love 1

I also like the look of both actors for their respective roles.

Young Ian is such a big role later that I'm glad they found a young man with a decent acting resume' so far. Seeing his name I immediately wondered if he was related to Jamie Bell, but his IMdB doesn't mention it, so I guess not.

I still had the episode on my DVR of "Inspector Lewis" that Wil Johnson was in last season so I watched it (bonus of Honeysuckle Weeks in the same episode!). He was pretty solid, he looks taller than I imagined BookJoe, but since Caitriona is taller too I think he's going to fit well in the role.

More good choices by the casting team, IMO.

• Love 1

Some more on John Bell. He will, in fact  be 19 in a month. Also noticed on his IMDb page that he was also in the film Battleship (2012). So he's worked with Sir Derek Jacobi, David Tennant, John Barrowman and Freema Agyeman, (Doctor Who "Utopia" 2007); Kevin Costner, Bill Paxton, Matt Barr, Tom Beringer, Powers Boothe (Hatfields & McCoys 2012);  Taylor Kitsch, Alexander Skarsgård, Liam Neeson, Rihanna (Battleship 2012), Sir Ian McKellen, Richard Armitage, Martin Freeman, Graham McTavish (a/k/a Dougal MacKenzie), James Nesbitt (The Hobbit 2013/2014) -- and that doesn't.include his various UK series and films not brought to the US as far as I know.

It's impressive for any actor, but one who worked with these folks before age 18 -- that's an impressive group. He. too, can sing. He was in a BBC promo for that competition aeries based on Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber's musicals (and in which John Barrowman was a judge). He has had a lot of experience.

Edited by theschnauzers
fix typos
  • Love 3

That is quite an impressive resume. I am again pleased with the casting, they are always pitch perfect. Even when they deviate from the novels, they capture the spirit of the character and I end up picturing the actor and his/her mannerisms when I read the books.  

• Love 1

I think he looks too young to play Hal, especially in comparison to the guy they cast as John.  Also he has almost no credits on IMDb so I think he's new to the acting world and was probably playing a random redcoat or Jacobite in the first episode.

Edited by WatchrTina

Yes but Hal would be young when we see him just after Culloden.  And I don't think we see him again for a couple of seasons, do we?  As for not much on IMDB, I don't think that would scare Outlander off from him.  Hopefully we will know within a year!!!!

Edited by morgan