Type keyword(s) to search

Casting: News & Wishlist

Athena
  • Start Topic

Somebody just quoted this from Wikipedia about Rose Leslie (this is over in the Dowton Abbey thread when she just did a guest appearance.)

Leslie was born in Aberdeen and raised at Lickleyhead Castle in Aberdeenshire, her family's 15th century ancestral seat. Her father is Sebastian Arbuthnot-Leslie, the Aberdeenshire Chieftain of Clan Leslie, and her mother is Candida Mary Sibyl "Candy" Leslie (née Weld), great-granddaughter of Simon Fraser, 13th Lord Lovat (a descendant of Charles II). Her parents own the 12th century Warthill Castle in Aberdeenshire.

Wouldn't it be cool to have actual descendant of Lord Lovat playing a descendant of Lord Lovat?  And she has red hair.  But, alas, she's too short (only 5'6") and has the wrong accent (she's a Scot, ye ken), but wouldn't it be cool?

So, she'll have to do an accent, but both her "Mum" and "Da" play their roles in accents that are not their own so she'll be in good company.  I'm excited for her.  Another unknown (to me at least) actor is about to be catapulted into the world of crazy that is Outlander fandom.  She has just under 3000 twitter followers now.  Wanna guess how many she'll have by this time tomorrow?

https://twitter.com/Outlander_Starz/status/692772934939574273

Edited by WatchrTina

They could've chosen an "unknown" American actress. I just hoped that the one principle role that could go to an actor from the states could actually go to an actor from the states. I've gotten tired of all these Brits playing Americans. It's my personal pet peeve that I cannot be talked out of, I'm afraid. (And trust me, just for making that comment elsewhere, I'm already being slammed. LOL!)

• Love 1

I am not concerned with the accent personally. Yes Bree is raised in Boston, but has British parents. I have a good friend who is English but lives in Boston with her children, 1 of whom was born in America. All sound English to me. Although their English friends think the kids sound American, which cracks me up.

They could've chosen an "unknown" American actress. I just hoped that the one principle role that could go to an actor from the states could actually go to an actor from the states. I've gotten tired of all these Brits playing Americans. It's my personal pet peeve that I cannot be talked out of, I'm afraid. (And trust me, just for making that comment elsewhere, I'm already being slammed. LOL!)

In most cases, I would wholeheartedly agree but this particular production is based in the UK so I can't get too worked up about it.  

Not saying this is gonna happen, but ... I remember watching an older movie with Jean Simmons (the British actress) playing a Bostonian who is living in NYC. When the New Yorkers question her blatantly British accent, she says she's from Boston! I always thought it was a hoot. (I still like the movie, but her accent is so unbelievable, I have to "whistle pass it.")

And, I agree, the filming is in the UK -- for the time being -- but the production is American and the producers are based Los Angeles. It's definitely a multinational effort, in that regard.

I have no problem with a British actress.  Frankly Brianna having an American accent always bugged me a bit - I too know people raised in another country who still had their parent's accent, not the local accent where they were raised.  I researched it and it seems like it can go either way - language skills are developed largely at home early in a child's life, hence taking on parents' accents, but outside influences do affect speech development as well.  So Bree having an American accent isn't wrong, it just feels unnatural to me based on personal experience.  So if this actress does a perfect American accent, great, it's book accurate.  If it ends up being not quite perfect, somewhere between an American and a British accent, well, that's probably pretty accurate to what would have happened in real life, lol.  

I'm happy with an unknown.  The casting department hasn't gotten it wrong yet so I trust them.

• Love 6

I definitely agree with you there, CatMack. It even happens within the United States itself. My parents are both from the East Coast but I can't tell you how many times a twangy accented person has asked me when I moved to Houston, only for them to be totally thrown when I say I was born here. It really all depends on the individual, in the end, because conversely, my brother never gets asked that, because his accent is just as heavy as everyone else's.

Maybe it's because my brain wants to see it, but she does look like she has some features of both Cait and Sam. That, and chemistry with the rest with the other actors, is more important to me than nationality. And neither Sam nor Cait are American, so maybe it makes sense. I'm a little bummed about her height, but that's secondary, as well. The casting has been stellar, so I'm sure she's great.

The tweets between Sam, Richard, and Sophie are cracking me up. I hope that one of the casting scenes for Roger was when Roger shows up at the cabin after Jemmy's born. I'd love to see Sam and Richard take each other on, just like the scene between Cait and Sam by the river in Reckonings. It's all about the chemistry.

I always thought Brianna had a hybrid of an accent--kinda of a blend of British and upper-middle-class-1960s Boston. I think a British actress trying to do a 1960s American accent might actually work. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I do think she looks like she could be Sam and Cait's daughter, though. 

• Love 1

I always thought Brianna had a hybrid of an accent--kinda of a blend of British and upper-middle-class-1960s Boston. I think a British actress trying to do a 1960s American accent might actually work. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I'm of the same thinking and if Brianna were a millennial or more contemporary, I'd look askance. However, as a child of two very educated and upper middle class Brits, I think she'd retain some of the accent in the mid-20th century. The Mid Atlantic accent in the 1950s and 1960s (as seen in news reels back then) was not that far off from British Received Pronunciation.

Something I have noticed living on both sides of the Atlantic is that the native accent holders will tend to find something wrong in your accent. They spot the irregularity and inconsistency of the pronunciations since people tend to compare to their own upbringing or environmental accents around them.

• Love 1

Confused, is Brianna in season 2? or 3? and are they showing 20 years or cutting to older Bree?

Not quite finished with book 1 thought Bree is book 3.

ETA: though I like Americans to play American parts, maybe Americans price themselves out or deem TV still second rate entertainment.

Then again a Brit or white American playing Michael Jackson is way off base, comedy or no.

Edited by GrailKing

Book 2 starts in the late 1960s, 20 years after Claire returned to the 1940s, from the 1700s. Brianna mostly appears at the beginning and end, with the bulk of it being about Claire and Jamie in the 1740s. It seems the second season will begin differently than the book, not giving it away so soon that the story shows Claire in her fifties.

TV Bree possibly having a hybrid accent would make a lot of sense, even if it diverges from the books (much like Frank/Claire having a register office wedding in England rather than going to a church in the Scottish Highlands). The height issue was always going to be tricky, because what were the odds they'd find an actress who was the right age, had the right looks, could act, was available AND towered over Cait, who's already taller than Book Claire? Something was probably always going to have to give, be it hair color or nationality or height: IMO, better that she can act than look right, but not much else. In books, you only have to describe how Bree towers over all the other women of the story, and most men, but casting it in practice was always going to be much more difficult. Height was a major thing with Bree in the books, but there's more to the character than that.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 2

Yes, it would've been difficult to get someone so tall, although that is indeed a big factor regarding her appearance -- as well as being a red head and having blue eyes. Brianna was also raised in the U.S. and has an American accent -- even Davinia Porter tries to work that out, not always successfully ;-). So, *for me,* this actress is least like how the character is described and I'll be very interested in how they pull it off. Unless they just whistle pass all that description and just hope the audience accepts a different conception of the character, unlike the one we know in the book.

I wasn't paying any attention to Outlander at the time but when they first announced Sam Heughan as Jamie, people apparently went apeshit.  He was too small, he wasn't red-headed, his eye color isn't right, etc.  But now?  Folks love him.

Superficial differences are simply not important.  Yeah, in the books much is made of her being tall but is that necessary to the plot, to the bones of the story?  I don't think so.  

• Love 4

Swo, *for me,* this actress is least like how the character is described and I'll be very interested in how they pull it off. Unless they just whistle pass all that description and just hope the audience accepts a different conception of the character, unlike the one we know in the book.

I'm not worried about any physical appearances in the casting. If that were the case I would be fuming at the casting of Dougal. Besides all they have to say is that Bree resembles Ellen if they want to make her Fraser looks a part of the plot. Does Jenny in the show have the same eyes as Jamie? I honestly don't pay attention to eye colors. As for height they just don't have to mention it, it's not a huge plot point or something they need to stick to.

For the record though she looks pretty good to me but I really had no problem with Sam or Cait or anyone. I have the most problem with Roger as he does not seem like him but I'm sure he will be more than fine. No need to judge until we see them in action. The worst that can happen is they recast for 3rd season.

GrailKing they are currently still filming they recently started the last block of 2 episodes.

For the record though she looks pretty good to me but I really had no problem with Sam or Cait or anyone. I have the most problem with Roger as he does not seem like him but I'm sure he will be more than fine. No need to judge until we see them in action. The worst that can happen is they recast for 3rd season.

Oh my, I hope not. In my opinion, nothing is more disruptive than having another actor take over a role once someone's been established in a part -- unless they have some horrible unfortunate accident, medical issue, or pass away!

My poor young mind could barely deal with a new Darrin Stevens on Bewitched! ;-)

• Love 1

I think that was probably the hardest part of casting this: the role is basically a cameo right now, but they wanted to lock someone down with the promise that it will eventually be a big part. I'm sure not many people wanted to sign up for something not guaranteed. Her part isn't even that big in season 3 unless they drastically change things. 

I wasn't paying any attention to Outlander at the time but when they first announced Sam Heughan as Jamie, people apparently went apeshit.  He was too small, he wasn't red-headed, his eye color isn't right, etc.  But now?  Folks love him.

Superficial differences are simply not important.  Yeah, in the books much is made of her being tall but is that necessary to the plot, to the bones of the story?  I don't think so.  

This!

People (serious fans) get so tied up in all the physical attributes of the character that they miss the fact that it's more important that the actor gets the soul of the character correct then his total physical look.

Some folks here probably know over at the GOT forums people were up in arms because Dany T. didn't have purple eyes or her hair didn't burn away.

I'm not worried about any physical appearances in the casting. If that were the case I would be fuming at the casting of Dougal. Besides all they have to say is that Bree resembles Ellen if they want to make her Fraser looks a part of the plot. Does Jenny in the show have the same eyes as Jamie? I honestly don't pay attention to eye colors. As for height they just don't have to mention it, it's not a huge plot point or something they need to stick to.

GrailKing they are currently still filming they recently started the last block of 2 episodes.

Thank you

Oh my, I hope not. In my opinion, nothing is more disruptive than having another actor take over a role once someone's been established in a part -- unless they have some horrible unfortunate accident, medical issue, or pass away!

My poor young mind could barely deal with a new Darrin Stevens on Bewitched! ;-)

You were around that too :>)

Or more recent Donna Reed as Miss Elli ( though DR was my TV mom )

• Love 2

Richard and Sophie are trading "minister's cat" lines on Twitter, in reference to who is more witty:

Sophie Skelton: ‏@LindaMordan @RikRankin @Outlander_Starz Will do, but I can save you the anticipation - Bree wins the #wittisimwar!

Richard Rankin : @SkeltonSophie @LindaMordan @Outlander_Starz That seems like a stretch beyond the realms of reality. The ministers cat is an optimistic cat!

Sophie Skelton: ‏@RikRankin @LindaMordan @Outlander_Starz The minister's cat is a perfectly precise cat and you know it! #bringiton #Breewins

This is making me want more Bree and Roger in season 2.

Edited by Dust Bunny
  • Love 2

That's adorable.

I'm still holding out hope for starting the season the same way the book does.

I don't see any reason why they couldn't film all the Scotland stuff, then go to Prague, then do the 20th century stuff and piece it all together in editing. There's still no air date, so there's plenty of time to update the first episode. I know they're supposed to be filming the last episodes now, but it if was me I'd save the 20th C stuff and film it all together, no matter which episode it was going into, especially with the necessary casting search.

I have the same hope Petunia!  I had the same hope for book 6 of Harry Potter (the Half Blood Prince) which I thought had the best opening chapter ever  I was most disappointed when they didn't use it (and I still think it would have been a better opening lol).  I will take some consolation if they open season 2 the way Grashka said (don't know how to do spoiler tags) because that will still be a bit of a surprise for the show only fans, but I would prefer it to be exactly as written.

• Love 2

These were posted on Diana's Facebook as well.  They are NOT pictures from filming, so they are actually Rick and Sophie rather than Roger and Bree.  Diana also reminded people that it took many tries to get Jamie's hair color to a shade that would work for filming in all levels of light, so this is probably not the final color for Bree's hair.

• Love 1

These were posted on Diana's Facebook as well.  They are NOT pictures from filming, so they are actually Rick and Sophie rather than Roger and Bree.  Diana also reminded people that it took many tries to get Jamie's hair color to a shade that would work for filming in all levels of light, so this is probably not the final color for Bree's hair.

It's not from filming? I was thinking it was probably when Bree and Roger are digging through his garage and it got me thinking how much I want the rat satire bit included. 

Ah well. I'm sure they'll get the color right on-screen. Lighting and color timing can make a big difference.

Edited by DittyDotDot

So I thought with the introduction of the young John in the last episode it might be fun to renew speculation about casting for older John, as I think it's pretty safe to say they won't be asking a 16 year old to try to play 40+ in the later books/seasons.

I was just thinking how much I've been liking Luke Roberts as a British officer type on Black Sails (not actually an officer but has that air) and there are rumors that show's 4th season will be it's last since it's a prequel and they're approaching a logical end point for setting up Treasure Island.  Since they just finished filming it would free Luke up if that's the case.  Sadly I looked and he's 3 years older than Sam, and I don't think he can pull off looking significantly younger.  A pity since I think he could embody both the serious side and the humorous side of John very well.  I still think Dan Stevens is the closest to what I have in my head, but I don't feel too strongly I think, as long as the acting is good. 

Since this board successfully predicted Roger's casting I'm curious what everyone thinks.  

• Love 2

Ooooh, I like this challenge (especially since I predicted the correct Roger.)  And I love your idea of Dan Stevens. He's 6'0" according to IMDB and I think ideally the actor should be taller than Cait but shorter than Sam so that works.  He's even in the age range I predict (I think it has to be an actor in his early-to-mid 30s who, like Sam, can play 10 years younger in his first scenes at the prison and can play 10 years older in the later books.)  Dan is two years younger than Sam, so that works.  But Dan left a terrific show at the height of its fame because he didn't want to be locked into a long series so that makes him a lot less likely.  Also when you consider the cross-over audience from Downton Abby to Outlander (I'm betting the majority of viewers watched both) that can create a problem because he is so identified in our minds with his role there.  I'm going to give this some more thought and I can't wait to see what other people propose.

I did think about his apparent lack of desire to commit long term.  John is a tricky character, contract wise, because he's very important and you want to make sure you get an actor who's going to be available when you need him, but he also tends to disappear for long periods of time.  Between flashbacks and the island there's probably enough John material to make an actor a series regular in season 3, especially if they beef up his role a bit which we know they're not afraid to do (Frank).  But he's only around briefly in book 4 that I can recall.  He and Jamie and Claire write but he doesn't really come back into the picture as a major player again until...what, book 6? 7?  I can't remember now, closer to the revolution.  He pops back up a few times, like his brief "engagement" to Bree, but not for an extended period until the war is really getting going (unless I'm completely misremembering).  So it'll be interesting how the handle retaining the actor and making sure he's available to them.  

Watching the episode again, the young actor reminds me of someone, and I can't put my finger on it (not young Simon, like some people), and I'm gonna have to figure it out now and maybe who he reminds me of will be a 6 foot tall British actor in his 30s, lol.

That's my image, too.  Shorter, like 5'9" or so.  fine boned.  I think sort of Jude Law like. I don't know if it matters if he is taller or shorter than Claire, at least not that I remember.  

I think the hardest to cast will be young Ian because he actually ages from a 14 year old to adulthood in front of us in a way . So you need an actor who can play teenager (not like Dawson please)  but also young adult . Oh and I just realized , Marsali  is in the same boat as Ian here (but maybe they won't mention her being 15 when she marries a 30 year old )

My choice for Lord John is Allen Leech. I think he looks a lot like Oscar Kennedy, who played young Lord John.

Also Allen Leech has remarkable blue eyes, which are his best feature and I always imagined Lord John not being overly pretty, but with very pretty eyes. He's 5'10 which is pretty much Cait's height and (as I've seen in recent pictures) back to his old shape of season 1-3 of Downton (he got chubby in the last two seasons of Downton) which IMO would match Lord John's description in the book. 

Yeah, I always thought short, fair complexion, fine boned. I did get the impression of a pretty man. Therefore I still vote for Toby Regbo. Perfect size and age compared to Cait and Sam, British, and a good, actor in my opinion. He's even already off the show he was on when I started rooting for him as LJG a couple years ago. He does not though, look anything like the kid they had to play LJG this week, but I guess people change as they grow up, right?

12 hours ago, CatMack said:

Watching the episode again, the young actor reminds me of someone, and I can't put my finger on it (not young Simon, like some people), and I'm gonna have to figure it out now and maybe who he reminds me of will be a 6 foot tall British actor in his 30s, lol.

The actor playing young John Grey reminded me of Thackery Binx from Hocus Pocus but the casting there so wouldn't work because Sean Murray is A, American and B, way too old for the part. 

(edited)

For some reason, I have the image of Lord John being shorter in the books, with Jamie towering over him, maybe Claire's height, but Book Claire is 5'6''.

That's my image, too.  Shorter, like 5'9" or so.  fine boned.  I think sort of Jude Law like. I don't know if it matters if he is taller or shorter than Claire, at least not that I remember.  

I think you both may be right and in a book it doesn't matter.  But visually I think we'd find it jarring if John was a "short" man and markedly shorter than Claire (who he will meet at the end of Voyager).  So I'd say 5'9" (Claire's height) is the lower limit.  And I LOVE the idea of Jude Law but of course he's too big a star.  We need a "poor man's Jude Law."  (That's how I heard Evangeline Lilly described when she was cast on "Lost" -- as a "poor man's Kate Beckinsale.")

Edited by WatchrTina

But I always thought that was part of what was remarkable about him...he was a small, delicate, pretty man, but he didn't feel like that when you were around him. I always thought he was the kind of person who's so stately and self-assured that he became larger than life. To see him physically standing shorter than Jamie and Claire, but still going head to head with them would demonstrate what a strong man he is.

• Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, Clawdette said:

This list has several potential candidates for Lord William John Gray that I think would be great options.

Who should play Lord John?

Tom Felton? The wrong physical type, compared to the book, maybe a smidgen too young (or not, I think he's 29 this year), and maybe he's had his fill of crazy fandom for a lifetime already.  But it would be a nice change of pace for him, since he's often typecast as a sneering, simpering snob of some sort.

Edited by Dejana

Hmmm, Looking at that list I would say my votes go to Tom Felton, Dan Stevens and Neil Jackson with first choice being DS. I think Felton looks a little too young for revolutionary war-era LJG. Neil Jackson's period costume picture in the tv line article is as close as they're going to get to Book 7 Lord John in my head, but I can't see him pulling off the ardsmuir era. Dan Stevens comes the closet to that could be 20, could be 40 look. 

I would like to see Alan Leech or Toby Regbo for grown up Fergus. Toby Regbo looks a lot like wee Fergus, but Leech could pull off the tough life, but still dashing, thing.

No clue where to go for young Ian. The gangly, all angles image I have of him at 15 isn't something that too many 20 something actors are going to be able to pull off. 

The only one of those I could see would be Tom Felton. The others are too old/manly looking.

I don't see the resemblance between Romann (young Fergus) and Regbo...

I keep thinking I know I've seen the perfect actor to play young Ian somewhere once, but when I try to think about where I saw him I realize that I'm just thinking of my mental image of him from reading. He's such a vivid character!

It's always interesting to see how different everyone's mental images are of characters when we've all read the exact same materials.

Ian is going to be another tricky casting call, because the age thing rears it's head again.  He's, what, 14 when he appears?  Even younger than young John, but has to believably play Ian into his 20s (30s? I can't remember how much time has passed since Claire went back).  Unless they try to recast him to age him up when he ends up with the Native tribe, but I don't think he's gone long enough for a recast to feel natural, like it will for John.  So their best bet is probably going to be to look for someone in their early 20s, who can kind of play a teenager (maybe they'll age wee Ian up a couple years so it strains credulity less), but can also be costumed and styled to look older as the years go by.  Actual teenagers just don't look right in ageing makeup (see: the finale Harry Potter movie epilogue).  I was thinking someone like Robert Sheehan, but then remembered how long ago Misfits was and realized he's actually 28 now and looks it.  But maybe someone who looks like Robert Sheehan did back when he was in his early 20s, when he had that in between quality where he could look younger or older depending on what clothes you put him in and how you combed his hair.  

(edited)

This list has several potential candidates for Lord William John Gray that I think would be great options.

I agree with Dejana that Tom Felton is all wrong and I have to say no to Ryan Kwanten (from True Blood) and Charlie Hunnam (from Sons of Anarchy) because they are, in my mind, so uber-heterosexual (due to those roles) that I'd have a hard time accepting them as gay.  I don't know who Tom Mison is (I've only seen Sleepy Hollow once or twice) but he fits pretty well into my mental picture.  I'm not keen on the idea of Laurence Fox, who I know from "Inspector Lewis" (he's too tall and not handsome enough) but that's given me an idea.  Does anyone else watch the Inspector Morse / Inspector Lewis prequel, "Endeavor"?  It stars a young British actor named Shaun Evans.  He's the same age as Sam so that that's not ideal and only a 1/2 inch taller than Cait but we can totally put him in the running because he has an interesting combination of tough and pretty to his look.  But Dan Stevens (of Dowton Abby) is still the best idea I've heard so far.  

Edited by WatchrTina