Type keyword(s) to search

Casting: News & Wishlist

Athena
  • Start Topic

Hey everyone. It's fine to bring information and posts from other websites, but please don't denigrate or talk badly about people on other sites. We want to avoid flame wars and trolls. Thanks!

No one is ever going to be happy about casting.  There is infinite freedom in creating book characters, whereas casting for a visual medium is limited by a gazillion factors including location, skill, availability, etc.  In general, I'd much prefer they cast an actor who is able to bring the character to life with their skill and than cast an actor simply because they look like the character described in the book.  If a character's appearance is integral to aspects of their story, that's what the hair and make-up department is for.  

The only thing really important about Brianna's height in the books is that it made her striking, a standout.  It's like how Claire's wild hair makes her a standout.  These sorts of things can be achieved in other ways.  Claire's hair isn't wild and crazy, but it's often down which is very different to the other women around her.  Brianna can be made to be a standout in a gazillion ways even if the actress cast to play her is five feet tall.  

• Love 4

I think her tallness also serves to emphasize she's really Jamie's kid, but I suppose her red hair serves well enough for that. She should either be quite tall or red headed but imo she doesn't need to be both

(edited)

She should either be quite tall or red headed but imo she doesn't need to be both

Personally I hope she's tall because both her parents are tall (it will be odd if she's shorter than Claire) but I understand that what we really want is a talented young actress.  They can dye her hair.  And I've speculated before that the painting of Ellen MacKenzie will turn up in Season 2 and it will be the spitting image of whoever is cast, so THAT'S how the Lallybroch crowd will know she is Jamie's daughter -- that and the red hair and her having Ellen's pearls.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 1

If Bree is the spitting image of Ellen and we havne't yet seen Ellen, Ellen could be any height.  Jenny is short and I think the actor playing Bryan was at least as tall as Sam so Ellen could have easily been the short gene, which is passed down to Bree.  I suppose it would be ideal if the actress cast for Bree is a similar height with Roger, Claire, and Jamie simply because it maybe makes camera angles easier to work out.  I just don't think there is a compelling reason to specifically go after a tall actress when it's not really a necessary part of her character.  She merely needs to be able to be recognizable as a descendant of Ellen and must have some resemblance with Jamie.  The Ellen thing is taken care of because Ellen can look like whatever actress is cast.  The only major requirement for a resemblance with Jamie is fair skin, and even that has some leeway as make up can do a lot, though the fair skin makes it easier to pass off Jamie's shade of red hair.  

(edited)

I was thinking about Outlander at lunch today, as you do, and I have a new casting wish.  In season 3 I want Nell Hudson to play both 20-years-older Laoghaire AND Laoghaire's daughter Marsali (sp?).  Why not?  Ron knows how to do this.  He can borrow the fat suit he put James Edward Olmos in during the first season of Battlestar Galactica to make Nell look older and then slap a dark wig on her for when she plays the daughter.  They could also recruit the make-up artist who hid Peggy's secret pregnancy behind fat make-up on the first season of Mad Men (and did it again for January Jones when they needed to hide the actress' real pregnancy).  Hell, they can talk to the guys at Orphan Black, where they now have TWO actors playing multiple roles, though if there is anyone who can handle one actor playing multiple roles in the same scene -- it's Ron D. Moore of Battlestar Galactica.  So yeah -- after suffering through a season of being despised, I think Nell deserves the reward of a dual role in season 3.

And of COURSE Tobias should play Alex in season 2.  I want to see him have to switch back and forth between sadist and mild-mannered cleric in the same scene.  You know he could pull it off.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 1

Because WatchrTina reminded me of him in the other thread, I am wondering if there has been any casting news about Fergus? How old was he when Jamie found him, I can't remember?

Because WatchrTina reminded me of him in the other thread, I am wondering if there has been any casting news about Fergus? How old was he when Jamie found him, I can't remember?

No casting news.

He was between 9-11.

Someone just asked Ron Moore in a twitter Q&A if Tobias would be playing three roles in DIA and he responded:

No.  I don't think you get to play that gag twice.  We'll cast a new actor for Alex Randall.

Well boo.  I was hoping they'd let Tobias do it.  But I get it.  Alex is supposed to be Jack's younger brother, not his twin.

• Love 1

Someone just asked Ron Moore in a twitter Q&A if Tobias would be playing three roles in DIA and he responded:

Well boo.  I was hoping they'd let Tobias do it.  But I get it.  Alex is supposed to be Jack's younger brother, not his twin.

Actually, I'm kinda relieved.  Even though I'm sure TM would do a good job, I think it would likely come off as stunt casting.

• Love 3

I'm thrilled they won't be doing that. It would be beyond ridiculous and besides, give another actor a chance to shine. Maybe someone who has fans who will follow them to the show!

• Love 3

Ha I've been calling LeComte Vicomte because I just saw that chateau in France. And while I was there I was very confused as to why there was no actual historical figure named Vicomte. Now I see!

And maybe he'll be less of a hottie with a powdered wig on? Although the headless horseman with his head on totally does it for me.

I don't remember now how he was described in the book but I think I pictured him to be more grotesque and not a hottie.

I read the Outlander novella "A Space Between" and he was definitely hot.

Highly recommended reading, btw.

And the historical/mythological figure Count de Saint-Germain has always been described as roguish, handsome, and full of charisma.

• Love 3

Well, Claire should love this:

Getting involved in the spirits trade should mean lots of drinking for Jamie and Parisian entertaining for Claire.

And, let me fix that statement: "Getting involved in the spirits trade should mean lots of drinking for Jamie and Claire and Parisian entertaining."

• Love 1

Well, Claire should love this:

Getting involved in the spirits trade should mean lots of drinking for Jamie and Parisian entertaining for Claire.

And, let me fix that statement: "Getting involved in the spirits trade should mean lots of drinking for Jamie and Claire and Parisian entertaining."

I LOVED Drunk!Jamie! So I hope we get LOTS of that next season!

• Love 1
(edited)

I pictured Jared and St Germain as older (40's at least) for some reason. When I re-read the book I'll pay more attention to how they are described.  I'm actually glad they are choosing low profile actors for most of the roles, despite my mental stunt casting of known and/or iconic actors for some of the secondary characters.

Edit: on second look I guess the actor for Jared is a bit older, the pic on access hollywood was quite a filtered soft image. he looks older in the pic on the hypeable page. And the actor for St Germain with the short hair looks like Jonathan Rhys Meyers.  Sorry if that squicks anyone out, LOL.

Edited by Glaze Crazy
  • Love 1

An actress has signed on to play Sister Angelique in Outlander's second season. I couldn't remember who the character was, but apparently she was in chapter 12 of Dragonfly in Amber. Please be aware that the article below does touch on plot developments in Season 2, in case you're trying to avoid that.

‘Outlander’ Scoop: Audrey Brisson Joins Cast As Sister Angelique

http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2015/06/outlander-scoop-audrey-brisson-joins-cast-as-sister-angelique/

• Love 1

An actress has signed on to play Sister Angelique in Outlander's second season. I couldn't remember who the character was, but apparently she was in chapter 12 of Dragonfly in Amber. Please be aware that the article below does touch on plot developments in Season 2, in case you're trying to avoid that.

‘Outlander’ Scoop: Audrey Brisson Joins Cast As Sister Angelique

http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2015/06/outlander-scoop-audrey-brisson-joins-cast-as-sister-angelique/

Wow, she's gorgeous.  I don't remember this character though.  Could she be a show invention?

I looked it up because I can't remember those kind of details, and I came across a page which lists all the religious characters in the Outlander novels. Sister Angelique is in chapter 12 of Dragonfly in Amber. Seeing as Outlander, the show, probably won't be able to give prominence to as many characters as the book does, perhaps she will stand in for the many and maybe that's why the actress may end up being more than a guest star.

http://outlanderlists.weebly.com/religious-figures.html

• Love 1

Someone posted this on another board about the character Sister Angelique in the book. I'm not spoiler tagging this since this is a book talk thread.

She was the most notable sister at L’Hopital.  She gets to watch Claire taste that patient's urine for sugar and she takes care of Claire when she comes in as a patient.

(edited)

Any word on how they will handle the Bree/Roger castings in a way that doesn't spoil anything for the non-book fans? S2 doesn't air until 2016 and in general, and casting news doesn't seem to stay secret very long.

Edited by Dejana

I think it's been noted here and elsewhere that some of the casting will be announced at Comic Con San Diego in July, so I would guess it depends on what a viewer knows already.  It sure seems like most of the cast will be known by then, if they have indeed been cast by end of July.  I'm wondering how many viewers watched the series, turned the channel and won't be thinking about it again until next year?  Those folks will probably not seek out any information about the next season anyway.  Lucky them. ;-)

If someone is completely unspoiled for DiA, just a character's name without context won't really be a spoiler.  As an example above, if you don't know who Fergus is in the story anyway, it's just a kid that's been cast.  That's how I would see it anyway.  Of course "Roger" has been seen already as a child but that might not mean anything either, to a completely unspoiled viewer.  The same for "Brianna" especially without a last name attached.  Or even if it's Randall or Fraser.  She could be any number of possible characters related to Frank, BJR, Claire or Jamie in Scotland, England or France in the past.

I think it's been noted here and elsewhere that some of the casting will be announced at Comic Con San Diego in July, so I would guess it depends on what a viewer knows already.  It sure seems like most of the cast will be known by then, if they have indeed been cast by end of July.  I'm wondering how many viewers watched the series, turned the channel and won't be thinking about it again until next year?  Those folks will probably not seek out any information about the next season anyway.  Lucky them. ;-)

If someone is completely unspoiled for DiA, just a character's name without context won't really be a spoiler.  As an example above, if you don't know who Fergus is in the story anyway, it's just a kid that's been cast.  That's how I would see it anyway.  Of course "Roger" has been seen already as a child but that might not mean anything either, to a completely unspoiled viewer.  The same for "Brianna" especially without a last name attached.  Or even if it's Randall or Fraser.  She could be any number of possible characters related to Frank, BJR, Claire or Jamie in Scotland, England or France in the past.

This all makes sense. I'm guessing that most folks who wait in line at Comic-Con are long-time fans who are already spoiled through Book 8. Those happy folks who have just moved on to the next premium cable series may not even recall there was a little kid named Roger, and even if they do, they won't know how he fits in the story. Those who, like myself, are suckers for spoilers will have to do a bit of digging to get answers. I watch Game of Thrones, and it's not that hard to stay unsullied if you avoid interviews, articles, and wikis.

Rosie Day; another "Friend of Sam" ?! Like Laura Donnelly, Rosie was in Sam's Norwegian movie,"Heart of Lightness".

Hey, speaking of that movie, does anyone know if it will be released in the U.S. , or is otherwise available to view?

(edited)

Maybe we should check out if he knows any

redheads who could play his daughter and has an American accent.

I am loving how they are generally trying to find actors who are the nationality (or close) to the characters they will play. I don't mind if an excellent actor of another nationality is chosen if they can pull off portraying the character, but looks like they're trying to be authentic.

Edited by Nidratime
  • Love 2

It just occurred to me after seeing someone's comment under an article introducing Rosie Day as one of the Outlander cast.... The comment said that the person was glad that Day was being cast as Mary rather than Brianna which was her first thought upon seeing the headline. And, immediately I thought, I bet she *did* audition for Brianna and ended up getting the Mary role, just as some of the actresses auditioned for Claire but ended up in other roles, like Jenny.

The Fergus actor is adorable. He looks like a little hobbit. Fergus is one of my favorite characters and I can't wait to see him in the show.

Agreed, except in my mind Fergus has always been Antoine Doinel and I am mourning a bit that that vision will be replaced. 

With these castings, I keep wondering how the French language is going to be approached. Will there be a lot of subtitles? Will we get some scenes like the un-subtitled one between Murtagh and Jamie in "Ransom"? I'm really excited to see what they decide to do. 

I'm really excited with all this casting news in general. Looks to be some great choices.