Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E10: Christmas Through Your Eyes

With the holidays approaching, Bonnie attempts to replicate her favorite traditions, while reminiscing about happier times with her friends. Not able to return home to Mystic Falls for her favorite time of the year, Caroline is surprised when Sheriff Forbes brings the holidays to her at Whitmore College. Meanwhile, after discovering that Jo has gone missing, Alaric turns to Damon and Elena for help, while Liv and Luke find themselves at odds when Tyler approaches them with a risky plan. Elsewhere, Jeremy helps Matt carry out a plan to take down Enzo but grows concerned when Matt takes things too far. Lastly, Stefan is forced to break some devastating news to Caroline.

I'm so glad the anti-magic barrier is gone! 

Nothing better than that scene with Damon and Stefan at the Salvatore house - Damon's surprise at seeing his car, Stefan's joy at giving it back to him, the Defan hug - just Awesome!!

Back later with actual thoughts on the episode.  I think I liked it! :)

• Love 2

Oh dear. All I saw were previews of the next ep not the show, so now Kai is obsessed with Elena too? Some glittery hoo-ha bullshit she's got going on there.I guess Damon and the show will give up on getting BonBon now back huh? And I guess slayer2 will give up on the show *le sigh.

I started out with 7 shows to watch this season and now I only have about 2. I guess that's what I get for watching a show entrusted to a couple of fangirls who write out the show like the Julie Plec Diaries. Can't they give the series to LJ Smith? I hate you for leaving us Williamson. I just absolutely hate you. :(

Just watched it. Major letdown. The story itself was pretty clever if a character named Bonnie didn't exist. God do they shit on her character. Kai is great. If he tries to kill Elena, even better, very smart to suck the magic from the ground but only smart because they were all so stupid in not listening to Damon when he said "Kill him" like four times. Alaric would rather listen to a girl he met yesterday than his so-called best friend and when Damon mentioned Bonnie being trapped he basically shrugged it off. Gah! I bet Matt Davis is a real method actor because his character is also a total dick.

Finally, I like Sheriff whatever but I don't give a shit about Caroline's problems, Bonnie's dad and Grams are dead and her Mum doesn't give fucks about her AND she's trapped in the spirit world with no boyfriend or potential boyfriend trying to hang Christmas lights with her or console her or even get her out. I can't get into superficial shit when someone is trapped in a HELL DIMENSION. *sigh* I just....I mean..... Dries/Plec I hate thee. Strong burning fires of a thousand suns, may you experience many Malakais damn you. Gah!

Edited by slayer2
  • Love 3

Well at least the show didn't go the predictable route with the episode description implying that Liz would be killed in Matt-Enzo crossfire. But vampire blood can't cure cancer?

Nice move how they managed to get the anti-magic spell to go away. At least Kai is good for something.

• Love 1

Really loved that episode. It was really full of the unexpected. Kai you are bad to the bone, love ya. Still don't care one whit for Jo and she has no chemistry with Alaric. Poor guy finally gets a girlfriend who might stay and I hate her.

I kind of like Enzo and Matt's hate relationship, but the whole keep poking at Stefan thing is lame.

Great touch with Liz getting a real life medical problem in a supernatural enviornment. Glad she didn't die, there's still hope for some "magic" cure. Somehow Caroline and Stefan lost their mojo. I just don't feel them anymore.

As someone who likes Jeremy and Bonnie the tree connection was well done and sweet. Poor Bonnie.

Loved Delaric, Defan and Delena scenes. Glad Damon got his car back.

• Love 3

Stupid, damn show.

Can Matt ever have agency for any semi-extended period of time? I was so hopeful at the end of last week's episode. Then the writers ruined it - and ruined Jeremy - by calling Matt "intense" and having Matt now controlled by Enzo. Jeremy has been neutered too. I was so looking forward to the Bash Brothers. It's my fault for not expecting disappointment.

On the same topic of ruining characters - I've loved Kai and Chris Wood's acting. Now, out of the pickings of 7 billion people and/or witches and/or vampires and/or siblings, he's just going after Elena. Because Elena. Elena ruins everything.

Stupid, damn show.

• Love 4

Well, that episode was .... there.  I was dreading Liz's death all day and it's not that I am disappointed she is alive.  I was waiting for a death and no one died!  I guess that is the real twist on this show.  Did Caroline and Stefan forget that turning Liz would cure her cancer?  I guess they don't want every character to be a vampire, however, Caroline and Liz deserve to be a happy mother/daughter pair for the rest of eternity.  Stefan, make it so.  Kudos for having a real life disease instead of one more violent supernatural death.

Ric was stupid to let Kai live.  Ditto with Matt wanting Enzo to suffer for plot purposes.  Tyler didn't say it in so many words but he was arranging for Jo to die so that Liv could live.  That's some messed up former hybrid. 

I am JUST now watching season five.  I loved Enzo when he first appeared, which to me was last week.  When he turned off his switch though he just became another psychotic cipher. There is nothing to distinguish him from any other psycho/sociopath. 

What was the point of watching Bonnie light a tree and then LIGHT a tree?  She is alone.  We know that.  Were the memories hers?  Will she make vampire pancakes for Xmas dinner?

When Damon was so excited to get his car back, I decided to put it down to the surprise of it coupled with the fact that his brother did that for him.  It was a little jarring to see him so happy over a lump of metal while his friend Bonnie is in PearlJamPrison.

Edited by Goldmoon

What was the point of watching Bonnie light a tree and then LIGHT a tree?  She is alone.  We know that.  Were the memories hers?  Will she make vampire pancakes for Xmas dinner?

I think the point of Bonnie's thing was to show her sad and missing her friends, and then maybe some of that sadness starting to turn into anger, nihilism, etc. Bout damn time, frankly. Kill 'em all, Bonbon.

• Love 3

Why, why, why didn't they kill Kai??? ( I mean, I get for show reasons that he wasn't going anywhere, and he is a good villain, but still... STUPID!!) They should have killed Kai and then focused on finding a way to get Liv and Luke out of the merge thing. I was actually wondering if Kai could somehow merge with Liv instead, since though they aren't twins with each other, Kai wasn't getting older in 1994, was he? He looks a lot more like 22 than he does however old Jo is supposed to be. But either way... they should have listened to Damon.

I do wonder, though, since Kai's stolen magic does seem to wear off... when it wears off, will it return to mystic falls, making the barrier come back? While that would make for exciting drama, I'd rather just have the barrier gone for good.

I don't think Damon has given up on rescuing Bonnie, but after such a really bad day, I think being able to walk into his house and then have Stefen show up with his car, it was a moment to pretend things were sort of okay, just for a moment.

I'm sad about Caroline's mom, but it was a different twist for it to be a human affliction instead of something supernatural, though who knows, maybe all the vervain or compelling or something caused her tumor. I'd think vampire blood could help some... but I guess that's up to the writers. They could turn her, but we've been down that road with Caro's dad and Bonnie's mom... I'm glad Stefen was there for Caroline, it was an important moment in their friendship... and something necessary for them to get anywhere close to where their friendship had been last season. I'm good if it turns romantic, since I want Stefen's interest in Elena to be gone forever...

Enzo can die or go away any time now... just sayin'...

And poor Bonnie!! I hope they find a way to rescue her right away when the second half of the season starts up! She needs to be the priority for once!

Edited by Jjrmt
  • Love 2

Poor much ignored Luke.  He seems to be the only person on the show who actually has a sense of morality that is not wholly relative to the people he cares about.

And yes, not killing people should be a good thing, but the reasons these idiots (who for the most part have no compunction about killing generally) chose not to kill were, to a man, ridiculous.  Kai is a homicidal maniac and Enzo is a capricious murdering dick.  It will also serve Liv right if her self-serving pep talk to Jo blows up in her face and Kai does win only to kill her (probably killing poor Luke in front of her first).

Fuck you show if you kill Liz.  And why didn't Stefan tell Damon about Liz?  Damon and Liz have always been friends and she is one of th few people he genuinely always liked.... making his treatment of Caroline even more gross, but still he likes Liz and Stefan should have told him.   Speaking of Caroline and Damon, I'm glad Caroline has dropped the full on Anti-Damon campaign just for the sake of monotony, but fuck if she needs to be more than civil and she definitely doesn't need to turn into bloody Delena shipper.

Anyway, for my bitching, I enjoyed this episode. And even if I hadn't, it was worth the whole show to see Kai knock out Elena.

Edited by RachelKM
  • Love 5

So guys, I'm gonna pretend the previews that indicate Kai says he 'sees what Damon sees in Elena' lead to him going on one of his epic truth-telling, asshole rants about how self-absorbed and narcissistic she is, I mean it does take one to know one. Soooo...if anyone would like to join me here at the denial table I do have wine.

Edited by slayer2
  • Love 5

I thought this episode had some decent elements.  I thought it was a clever way to get rid of the border spell.  So that was something I liked. 

I'm actually liking Luke.  He at least has some kind of conscious beyond his own well-being.  Poor Caroline.  I really wish Bonnie could be there for her, so I'm glad she at least has Stefan.  Enzo's drama is tiresome, but I guess it gives Matt (who I like) and Jeremy something to do, so there's that.

"It's all about me even when it's not" Elena was annoying, but what else is new?  I did like her not being glued to Damon's hip the entire episode, so that's another plus.  I cheered Kai knocking Elena out at the end so he could kidnap her.   I don't think having to save Elena is going to make Damon stop looking for a way to bring Bonnie home.  I think he's shown that he's not all about her right now, and even though she's in danger again, I doubt expect her plight to totally consume him or alter his focus that much.   In fact, I really think that's one of the main reasons they've put her in danger.  Also, Kai can use her to force Jo to submit to the merging ceremony before she feels she's strong enough to have a chance against him. I like that this is going to cause the showdown to happen quickly and keep the momentum and pacing of this story moving.

I also liked the scene where Jeremy acknowledges that he misses Bonnie while she says that misses you guys.  That worked for me.  lol  And I'm just blown away at how strong Bonnie is.  I really think her time away from everyone is going to be beneficial to her character.  I wouldn't be surprised if she found a way to send herself back to the future when all's said and done although I wouldn't mind if it's Damon who goes back for her because of how single-minded he's been in not forgetting Bonnie and what's due to her.

I think this was pivotal episode setting up characters to go in some possibly unexpected directions for the second half of the season.

Edited by Reese
  • Love 2
Poor Caroline.  I really wish Bonnie could be there for her, so I'm glad she at least has Stefan.

I felt like this episode's flashbacks gave a subtle nod to an idea from earlier in the series; that Caroline has always felt sort of left out among the three girls. Bonnie and Elena were both closer to each other than to her. Stefan actually did/does treat her like someone who is his exclusive Best Friend. I'm shipping it, but I also really love that friendship.

• Love 6

So vampire blood can't cure cancer? I always thought it could cure everything, but maybe that was never specifically said on the show. Or maybe the writers just watched season 5 of Buffy and wanted to make Liz the Joyce Summers of Mystic Falls.

• Love 1

Can't they just feed Caroline's mother blood before she dies and she'll come back as a vampire? Why are they acting like she'll be gone forever. She'll only be gone forever if she chooses not to turn just like Caroline's dad.

The show needs less Damon/Elena interaction they're more tolerable with others.

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 3

I hope the barrier is gone for good, I want the show back in Mystic Falls. I really thought we would be done with Enzo, but no, Kai (and I am seriously sick of him too) has to chose that moment to drop the spell. When Damon realized Kai was up to something, why didn't he throw one of those rocks he was throwing & hit Kai in the head with it? I doubt unconscious Kai would be able to finish what he started. 

I wasn't a fan of Liv to begin with, but seeing how she didn't have a single moment's hesitation in throwing the sister who SAVED HER LIFE under the bus makes me hope she's a casualty, and soon.

I did chuckle at Enzo's meta, "What did we learn? Kill our enemies quickly!"

• Love 5

I love that the barrier is gone for good. I missed seeing them all hanging around the Salvatore house. Man, I love that front door. I want that front door so bad!

Poor Caroline. Well, actually poor Liz. But that sucks all round. I do wonder why none of them have mentioned the possibility of turning her, but I'm sure that'll come up in the coming episodes. I did love the SC hug. Very sweet and I like that Stefan's finally being there for her in a way that counts.

I also liked the SE scenes. I think theirs is such an important relationship that it's only right they are still in each other's orbit. Especially when one of their best friends' lives is going down the crapper. I was afraid Elena would just be stuck with Damon all episode, so I'm glad she was where she should be. Say what you want about Elena but she's always wanted to be there for her friends.

That said, I'm really confused about DE. Are the writers trying to say that now Elena has mushy feelings for him? Or fancies him? Because for me, I thought they'd essentially rewound her character to her S2E1 status of "I hate Damon, he's a monster" and I don't think that a few episodes of him being hot was enough to get Elena panting for him. Yeah, I remember she forgave him pretty quickly back then, but she did NOT fall in love with him. Is that what they're trying to imply? Because I don't buy it. If you want her to love him, give her back her memories. That's the only way I'll buy she loves him again. Anything else is fanfic-y and silly.

Loved the DS scene. I want more of that. I don't know why they can't be each other's default scene-buddies. Just always have them together unless one needs to be romancin' or bromancin' other characters.

Love Kai. He's creepy, deadly and fun. But please, know when to kill him off. It wasn't this episode, but it will be soon. Don't do a Klaus and keep him around cause he's a good villain. That's how good villains turn into pony-drawers.

This was the first episode all season that I thought "eh" when seeing Bonnie. I get it, it's sad and I also wish she was back in MF with her friends. But I also can't be arsed sitting through episode after episode where she'll be making sad faces on her pancakes. Either get her out or don't show her.

This is the first time in a few years where I'm actually annoyed I'll have to wait over Christmas to see new eps. I liked the twist with Elena, I'm dying to see what Kai wants her for and I can't wait to see Damon go after him. I'm so impressed the writers have clawed this show back to being fun.

Edited by Moo
  • Love 2

Didn't we already do the whole mom dies of natural causes storyline on Buffy? It's going to be pretty hard to top that, even though I like Liz more than I liked Joyce. My guess as to why no one has brought up turning Liz into a vampire is that they know she wouldn't want that.

I really hated that Stefan insisted on telling Caroline about Liz. Gee, let's see, who should get to break the news to Caroline that her mom is dying? A guy she's known for a few years who recently cut her out of his life and refused to returned her phone calls or her (admittedly self centered) best friend Elena who has known both Caroline AND Liz for almost her entire life?

since Kai's stolen magic does seem to wear off... when it wears off, will it return to mystic falls, making the barrier come back?

When Damon said he was finally back at home, I started wondering if Kai's plan was to lull the Scoobies into returning to Mystic Falls and then putting the anti-magic barrier back up, thus killing them all at once. At this point, the only one with half a brain who might be able to come up with a plan to defeat Enzo is Damon, and that's only if he can convince the other dingalings to go along with his plan (you know, like KILLING Kai when they have the opportunity).

• Love 3

I'll admit, I'm tuning in nowadays for Kai, he is so entertaining and intelligent. Yes, psychotic, too. LOL I heart someone who thinks ahead, who plans ahead, who gets shit done, and he does; I never would have thought that he could leech the Travellers' magic from the ground, and he did! And I cheered when he knocked Elena out. I say this now, I doubt he will be affected by the magic cooter he just kidnapped. He's thinking and planning, I'm sure he knows just how much Elena means to Damon and will use her to get what he wants. Or to just fuck with Damon, that seems like a Kai-thing too.

I still don't care about Liv and Luke. Props to Jo for still trying to save her younger siblings but I can only hope that self-preservation will prevail and we'll be rid of those damn twins. As long as Alaric (who really needs to start taking Damon's advice even if the advice is "Kill. Him.) doesn't get hurt at the conclusion of this mess I'll be ok with it.

That's too bad about Sheriff Forbes, I've always liked her relationship with Caroline, I've been fearing for her these past couple seasons since she's the only parent of the Scoobies that's still around and alive. Good to see Stefan attempting to be there for Caroline. It's a start, I guess.

As much as I loved seeing Tripp's lovely vampire killing van again I am still pissed that Enzo got the upper hand on Matt. I was really looking forward to Matt and Jeremy vs vampires.

Also loved that the Salvatores returned to their home in MF, man, have I missed that place! Good to see them re-bond as brothers and Stefan even brought him a gift. :-)

• Love 1

I'm sure Caroline will try and convince her mom to turn, b/c Caroline LIKES being a vampire, but the rest of them would never have chosen it if they had the choice so that is why they haven't talked about it. Caroline is in shock right now I'm sure she will get to the right stage of grief soon to try and convince Liz to turn, but of course Liz won't I'm sure.

The Traveler's spell had many components to make the border, magic was only one piece, but like most things supernatural break one part and the rest falls apart. While Kai might lose the magic gradually I don't think losing it will cause the traveler's spell to reactivate. I think as Kai uses magic it is gone b/c he can't generate it himself, but the amount of magic used for the traveler's spell was so great he should have magic for a long time before he uses it all.

Getting Bonnie back will take time and effort. Damon and Elena have been shown working on a plan, they actually almost made it work and now working on another plan. Doing things like being happy his brother rebuilt his car or saving Jo, killing, Kai or saving Elena are short tasks that take a day or two. One does not preclude the other. Just b/c Damon does other things doesn't mean he isn't still worried about Bonnie and wants to save her, but fact is not an easy task.

Edited by Cattitude
  • Love 2

I don't think Kai is going to become an Elena disciple.  Mostly because I'm pretty sure the only person Kai gives a shit about in his life is Kai.  It's pretty clear to me he took Elena to piss Damon off and provoke him.  So his statement about how he sees what Damon sees in her in the preview is most likely a taunt. 

Chris Wood continues to knock it out of the park.  The looks on his face, how he uses his eyes....just amazing.  The minute he started asking about the Traveler's spell I knew what he was gonna do, conveyed in Wood's eyes perfectly.  Loved it.

He's gonna wreak havoc.

I would like it better if the show didn't turn Liz to cure her brain tumor.  While losing Liz would suck, it would be a good storyline for Caroline.  

• Love 3

Hey, Matt...you know why Tripp's dead? It's because he chose to keep Enzo alive, and then make him suffer, rather than just kill him. What did you learn from this? Nothing. Your best friend is a vampire hunter. You asked him to "help me kill Enzo." What do you do when the expert you brought in attempts to do just that and give his expert advice about *why* he should kill Enzo now? You blow him off. Matt, I like you. I really do, but you're bordering on "too stupid to live."

Oh, and Jeremy? You are the expert. If you know better, DO better. Stake first, get van later.

Alaric...I just can't. Look, just...replace "Matt" with "Alaric" above. That should do it.

• Love 8

Fuck you show if you kill Liz.  And why didn't Stefan tell Damon about Liz?  Damon and Liz have always been friends and she is one of th few people he genuinely always liked.... making his treatment of Caroline even more gross, but still he likes Liz and Stefan should have told him.   Speaking of Caroline and Damon, I'm glad Caroline has dropped the full on Anti-Damon campaign just for the sake of monotony, but fuck if she needs to be more than civil and she definitely doesn't need to turn into bloody Delena shipper.

Your first question--Stefan didn't tell Damon because when he volunteered to tell Caroline, Elena said she would tell Damon. I think part of bringing the car over at that moment was to soften the blow that he knew was coming. He sort of made himself scarce right after. Your second question--I fully agree. I understand that the writers will never acknowledge that Damon raped Caroline, but they certainly don't need to make her his apologist. If they want her to stop fighting Elena about Damon, they can just leave it at that. 

I really hated that Stefan insisted on telling Caroline about Liz. Gee, let's see, who should get to break the news to Caroline that her mom is dying? A guy she's known for a few years who recently cut her out of his life and refused to returned her phone calls or her (admittedly self centered) best friend Elena who has known both Caroline AND Liz for almost her entire life?

I was glad Stefan stepped up as Caroline's best friend--which is what he was according to Caroline, prior to turning into a major dick for a few months--because Elena has never filled that position properly. She was dreading having to tell her, so Stefan volunteered because he realized that if he really wants to be Caroline's best friend again, then he's the one who needs to do the hard stuff. How long they've each known Caroline means nothing to me, because I don't think E/C were ever as close as S/C, even disregarding Caroline's romantic feelings. Even back in the days I liked Elena, their friendship was always a little...weird. That's a big issue for another thread though.

Edited by Carrie Ann
  • Love 2

I was glad Stefan stepped up as Caroline's best friend--which is what he was according to Caroline, prior to turning into a major dick for a few months--because Elena has never filled that position properly. She was dreading having to tell her, so Stefan volunteered because he realized that if he really wants to be Caroline's best friend again, then he's the one who needs to do the hard stuff. How long they've each known Caroline means nothing to me, because I don't think E/C were ever as close as S/C, even disregarding Caroline's romantic feelings. Even back in the days I liked Elena, their friendship was always a little...weird. That's a big issue for another thread though.

I thought the flashbacks were useful in a multi-purpose way because in addition to illustrating Bonnie's loneliness at Xmas, it showed how Caroline was always the odd one out. Stefan is Caroline's best friend, not Elena, that's why he had to be the one to break the bad news. Also? I loved how that as much as flashback Caroline complained about Stefan's lame snow globe keychain present, she still had it all those years later.

• Love 4

In 1994, Kai had a barely-there comment about Damon and Bonnie that came and went too quickly for me to quote it.  It was something like referencing Bamon UST (Unresolved Sexual Tension).  It would be fun if Kai chooses to accuse Damon and Bonnie of UST while he is taunting Damon in front of Elena.  Will Elena buy it or blow it off because she believes no man could possibly be attracted to any woman who isn't her. 

Bonnie is a tiny little thing, and doesn't have her witchy powers so she must have found a chainsaw, cut down that tree herself, cut the boards for its base, and nailed the boards on (nailing THROUGH wood is a lot harder than it looks). I wondered if the writers remembered that in Bonnie's world, it is actually May.  There are no ready-made Xmas trees.  Took me right out of the scene.

To those who are referencing Joyce Summers on Buffy, vampire blood on BTVS did not cure wounds.  There were no daylight rings except for the Ring of Amara so vampires lived in darkness.  No one wanted to be a vamp because they weren't really the same after death.  In BVTS, vampires were demons who took over dead bodies as if wearing a meatsuit.  They had the memories and personality of the person that they possessed, but the real person was dead. Vampirism was BAD.  In TVD, this is not the case.  In TVD, being a vampire is presented as having only one negative: drinking of blood is mandatory, and I guess two negatives for a witch who loses druid-like connections with nature.  Vamps have super strength and speed and can live forever. Has Liz not learned yet that her preconceptions about the undead were wrong?  Her own daughter proved how a vampire can keep her own thoughtful and sweet personality after acquiring fangs.

• Love 2

I thought the flashbacks were useful in a multi-purpose way because in addition to illustrating Bonnie's loneliness at Xmas, it showed how Caroline was always the odd one out. Stefan is Caroline's best friend, not Elena, that's why he had to be the one to break the bad news. Also? I loved how that as much as flashback Caroline complained about Stefan's lame snow globe keychain present, she still had it all those years later.

I agree.  In season one it always seemed to me that Elena and Bonnie were best friends, Caroline and Bonnie were also close, possibly also best friends, and that Elena and Caroline were friends who'd known eachother since birth and both loved Bonnie.  I never actually felt Elena and Caroline were particularly close until after Caroline was turned. 

And even that seemed more a function of Elena being more Vamp centric than Bonnie causing the dynamic to shift.

At any rate, I would have had no issue with Elena being the one to tell Caroline since she's known both Caroline and Liz her whole life and is practically family.  But I'm glad it was Stefan.  I liked him dong the work to be a real friend.  It was him taking Caroline's words about him only doing the easy stuff, like hanging Christmas lights, to heart.  He was stepping up and doing the hard part of being a best friend.

I guess I missed Elena saying she'd tell Damon about Liz.  This annoys me, it should have been Stefan. Even if Elena hadn't compelled away their relationship and even if they were still a couple, it seems like a thing Stefan should do.  Elena and Damon's relationship, even when good(ish) has never really been about Elena being an emotional support for Damon, she leans on him.  I don't fault Elena for that, it's just that Damon doesn't turn to her for emotional support almost ever and less so since they actually got together.  Damon relies on Stefan for that stuff and sometimes Alaric.

Edited by RachelKM
  • Love 2

So, my thought on Kai taking Elena (sorry if this was addressed).  He took the Traveler's magic from the Mystic Falls barrier spell.  Maybe he figured out that Elena, with all her dopplelicious blood, would be a great source of ongoing power.  And, of course, he also did it to piss Damon off.  And Damon will be pissed.

Now, my S5 memory is rusty (cause it was horrible), but would Elena alone have any power to tap into, or would he need Stefan too?  And does their blood still offer anything power-wise (I can't recall how that ended!).  Stupid Travelers made next to zero sense to me anyway, so I handwaved a lot, but Kai with that kind of power would be interesting.

LOVING Kai.  Best villain in forever.

OH, totally forgot: brother scene?  Awesome!  Loved Stefan giving Damon the car back and I am loving where their relationship has gone.  Its so amazing, especially when re-watching season 1, that they are at the place they are together.

Edited by GeekGirlnb
  • Love 1

I hate Elena - she thinks ONLY of herself and the status of her love life.  So she can't be bothered to look for Bonnie and the Ascendent because she has to tell Damon that HIS looking for Bonnie is hot?  Whatever.  Please just die. I felt actual joy when Kai hit her - like that was my Christmas gift from TVD.  Alaric can suck it too.  While I don't mind having real concern for your new "girlfriend", how is Bonnie not your top priority when she is the only reason you're alive to begin with?  I wish somebody would hit him too.

Don't care about the rest of the main cast - as in too disinterested to even type their names individually.  The Liz storyline is not what I needed to see because in real life my best friend in the world has inoperable gioblastoma.  Go to hell TVD for this crap.  Also, Julie Plec is no Joss Whedon.  This was done before and MUCH better than this show could ever hope for.

The only thing I took note of in this episode - other than Kai's awesome Elena beat down - was the whole Gemini family.  I never liked Liv and I now like her even less.  The shocker for me was Luke.  I was like, EUREKA!  Somebody has some damn sense.  I personally think that the whole thing is a fake out, that HE is the stronger of the twins and that he KNOWS that and that he'll take over the merge and be the one to shut Kai down permanently.

I'm too old for this show.  These children seem silly and immature in my eyes and the vampires even more so for wrapping their lives around a bunch of teenagers who in one episode will worry about a friend who is in peril but then go to a homecoming dance or a "theme" kegger at the lake or some other juvenile nonsense.  The ONLY reason I am still watching is because they finally gave Kat something to do and I liked her with Damon - and HIM with her.  That and the unexpected joy that the actor playing Kai brings.  He's terrific - too good for this show.  I'll watch until he dies and then I'm out.

• Love 2

I don't think Kai is going to become an Elena disciple.  Mostly because I'm pretty sure the only person Kai gives a shit about in his life is Kai.  It's pretty clear to me he took Elena to piss Damon off and provoke him.  So his statement about how he sees what Damon sees in her in the preview is most likely a taunt. 

Chris Wood continues to knock it out of the park.  The looks on his face, how he uses his eyes....just amazing.  The minute he started asking about the Traveler's spell I knew what he was gonna do, conveyed in Wood's eyes perfectly.  Loved it.

He's gonna wreak havoc.

I would like it better if the show didn't turn Liz to cure her brain tumor.  While losing Liz would suck, it would be a good storyline for Caroline.  

IA with everything up there except Liz dying. There are so few characters I like on VD I would hate to lose even one (I'm this close to losing Alaric). Now, if we're just talking about Liz ending her human life and turning, I'm down for that. It would give Caroline a second chance to mentor a newbie vampire, plus we'll get to see that rare creature called a middle-aged vampire who is a woman. It might even lead to Liz getting more screen time.

I love Kai so much I am seriously man-crushing right now! Chris Wood is playing the hell out of the role! Even though I was screaming kill him every time Damon told Alaric to kill Kai, not so deep down I was happy to know there was no way VD would give up such a great villain this early.

I almost wish Bonnie hadn't appeared this episode, because I'm getting real tired of watching her sad and suffering.

Stupid, Matt. Really, really stupid. Kill your enemies with haste like the petty, vindictive vampire said.

Elena's in trouble? Am I supposed to care, or...

I am? Oh.

I wonder if anyone will tell Jeremy a psycho killer has abducted his sister for the hundredth time? Will Tyler aid and abet Kai again? What does Petty Vamp want with Matt?

I remember in 6x06 Enzo mentioned how he died of consumption and I thought "why didn't the vampire blood cure him" and I guess what they're implying is vampire blood can cure near-fatal wounds because vampires can heal from them but it can't fight a virus. I hope they further explore what vampire blood can actually do because it's never really been totally explained. I could go either way with this storyline depending on how they approach it. I'm also curious how they're going to address just turning Liz into a vampire. As far as what was in the episode I thought PW, CA and ND were all stellar in their scenes and I loved the interaction between the characters. I also didn't think it came off as a set-up for romance between Stefan and Caroline, this was about their friendship. Caroline told Stefan she needed him and he ran away, so Stefan knew it was his responsibility to be there for her this time. I actually thought Caroline was a little harsh in the scene with the lights because it was clear he was trying but I guess ultimately show was afraid to let him back into her life because if how abruptly he left it before. I do think it will be a good storyline for Caroline though and she really hasn't had much of one since S3.

Damon is no longer allowed to be incharge if hidding the mystical artifact, he's STILL learned nothing from the moonstone in the soapdish! I liked the Damon-Alaric stuff because like their friendship and I enjoy watching them at odds but I'm with Damon, should have just killed Kai when they had the chance. 

Speaking of Kai he's really become a fantastic villain. He has shows no remorse, Chris Wood delievers all his lines perfectly and he's always one step ahead of these bozos because he's always plotting. I totally dig him and I liked the twist of him absorbing the travelers spell to get super powerful because I was kind of over the whole magic bubble around Mystic Falls. Although that might have to do with just missing the Salvatore's boozing and plotting in their giant house...

...Speaking of the Damon/Stefan scene was excellent. The best part of this whole season has been the new bond these two have. They're SO much better when they're not both actively in love with the same woman.

Is Enzo going to compell Matt to basically spy on Stefan and help him to ruin his life, the only reason he didn't kill him is because he knows Caroline would never speak to him again. I still don't really "get" Enzo, I'm glad he flat out admitted that he was jealous of Stefan for having Damon and Caroline in his life but this isn't really the way to go about rectifying that. I need to see more interaction between him and Stefan, if they want to sell this animosity between them I need to see them facing off more.

The flashbacks were nice and sweet in an episode that was otherwise kind of depressing and I really enjoyed watching Bonnie put together the Christmas tree and then watching it burn, very symbolic. I'm REALLY hoping they get her back by 6x12 though otherwise it's just plain cruel and when Bonnie does come back I'd like to see a more badass version. It looks like that's what we're going to get.

I liked it, not the strongest of the season but still better than much of the prior 2 seasons.

Edited by kmariee
  • Love 2

I love Kai because he is an unrepentant psycho. When he asked if it would be funny or sad if he killed Liv with her own magic and then said he gets those emotions mixed up, I couldn't help but laugh. It also helps that he isn't a stupid villain.

I guess I should give Damon points for at least putting the ascendant in something instead of leaving it out in the open like the moonstone. Plus he is the only one who is advocating killing their enemies when they have the opportunity so he'a about 100 IQ points above everyone else.

• Love 4

Bonnie is a tiny little thing, and doesn't have her witchy powers so she must have found a chainsaw, cut down that tree herself, cut the boards for its base, and nailed the boards on (nailing THROUGH wood is a lot harder than it looks). I wondered if the writers remembered that in Bonnie's world, it is actually May.  There are no ready-made Xmas trees.  Took me right out of the scene.

What gets to me is (as it did with Thanksgiving also), does Bonnie have some kind of calendar where she x-es off the days so she knows what day it is back home? How else would she know this is Christmastime?

Eh, if I were stuck in some weird prison dimension, I'd probably count the days I was there. I don't understand whether the things they do "stick" though--they don't, right? Every day just starts fresh? So if she tried to write something down like that, it wouldn't work. So I think she can just track the passage of time in her head.

• Love 1

Alaric to Damon, "Why are you still alive?"

Me, "Because Kai is a psychopath who wants to torture and torment people before he kills them which is why you should have killed Kai when you had the chance."

Also, the Alaric can't kill Kai because then Liv/Luc will have to merge, and one of them will die so they have to wait until Jo is strong enough to merge with Kai without it killing her so Kai will die instead is beyond dumb.  No Liv/Luc do not have to merge.  News flash you brain dead idiots.  The Gemini Coven are insane.  Their Coven has been lead for years by people who were willing to murder their twin sibling so they could be the leader.  These are the fools who consider Kai a bad guy for killing his siblings.  See the inconsistency here?

Here is an idea of what they should have done before Kai absorbed all the Traveler magic that was surrounding MF - Jo, Luc, and Liv work together to kill Kai.  They figure out a way to bring Bonnie home.  They get Lucy to come join them.  Then if the Gemini coven show up, they have their own group of witches.

• Love 6

Also, the Alaric can't kill Kai because then Liv/Luc will have to merge, and one of them will die so they have to wait until Jo is strong enough to merge with Kai without it killing her so Kai will die instead is beyond dumb.  No Liv/Luc do not have to merge.  News flash you brain dead idiots.  The Gemini Coven are insane.  Their Coven has been lead for years by people who were willing to murder their twin sibling so they could be the leader.  These are the fools who consider Kai a bad guy for killing his siblings.  See the inconsistency here?

I have been wondering about this.  Has anyone said what exactly happens if no one does the merge?  I mean, it's been two full generations since the last gemini merge seeing how Kai and and Jo were already 22ish 18 years ago.  At least with the Harvest Girls bullshit on The Originals we were told there were some actual consequences to not going through the ceremony, i.e. the coven would lose their powers.  Sure slitting the throats of 4 teenagers was fucked up, but they came back and, again, actual consequences.  Here it just seems like a thing they do to determine a leader.... why is that worth the life of a 22 year old every generation?

Edited by RachelKM

Liv is the absolute worst. Kai will probably kill hundreds of people, including her, but she doesn't care because she doesn't want to be a martyr. Elena may be self-centered much of the time, but at least she is willing to die to save the world. 

• Love 1

My main problem with this episode is that the twin merge is the motivation; and from what I can tell the blond wonder twins betrayed their sister because they want to avoid their duty.  The thing is, what are the consequences of that?  It seems like it ranges from nothing to their coven trying to force the issue.  So really no justification for their actions at all.

I would add one thing to all the reasons the show acknowledged on why it was stupid to force a brunette wonder twin merge  Its very likely someone is going to force that blond twin merge anyway to try to get someone powerful enough to fight Kai.

On Liz, I can buy Liz not wanting to be turned.  I can buy vampire blood not curing cancer.  I won't buy vampire blood not shrinking or slowing cancer enough to give chemo a chance to work.  Or something like needing a monthly dose of vampire blood to keep the cancer under control.

I don't dislike Elena. Really I don't. She doesn't bother me.  But I laughed, a lot, when Kai whacked her in the face.

• Love 2

DIdn't Elena's father once cure cancer with vampire blood?   In the episode where they find out that he was involved with the torture experiments I thought Elena said that he cured a kid.   

DIdn't Elena's father once cure cancer with vampire blood?   In the episode where they find out that he was involved with the torture experiments I thought Elena said that he cured a kid.   

It wasn't cancer it was some kind of heart defect or heart condition.

• Love 2
I don't dislike Elena. Really I don't. She doesn't bother me.  But I laughed, a lot, when Kai whacked her in the face.

I was thinking 'get her Kai!' lol  I can't stand Elena these days.

• Love 3

My understanding about the whole vampire healing thing is that blood can heal someone but once they do it means they now have vampire blood in them and should they die after that of any cause, they start to transition as a vampire and become one once they drink blood. At least that's how it worked with Caroline. Damon's blood saved her during her surgery and she was still human and fine. Then Katherine murdered her and from that moment she started transitioning as a vampire.

So my guess with Enzo for example is that he already had vampire blood in him before he later died of consumption and so when he did die of the latter, he transitioned as a vampire. Because if he didn't have the blood in him at some point, he would have just died like a normal human being. And that's pretty much how it played out with the back story we got of Damon and Stefan. Katherine had been feeding them her blood for months, so when they got shot, they started transitioning. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

My understanding about the whole vampire healing thing is that blood can heal someone but once they do it means they now have vampire blood in them and should they die after that of any cause, they start to transition as a vampire and become one once they drink blood.

Isn't there a time limit on that?  I vaguely recall an episode where someone was healed with vamp blood and it was only because they died in 24 hours that they turned.