Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E04: Livin' La Vida Housewife

• Start Topic

At first I thought it was Gigi that got the DUI. I don't pay attention to names of Yo's daughters too much but do remember one went away to NY for school & modeling (Gigi). After reading the posts, I realized it was the younger daughter Bella that got DUI.

I know we don't know why Bella has a suspended license but have details of DUI been said and I missed it? Was she in accident? Was she swerving & cop saw her? Was she at a sobriety check point?

Seeing Vincent Van Patten grown up brought back memories of my teenage years too. I did Google him to remember what shows he was on & didn't realize he was a tennis star, as Eileen mentioned. Somewhat of a coincidence - my teenage idol was Willie Aames, who played the son of Dick Van Patten on the show Eight is Enough. I thought Vincent was on the show but he wasn't. I got mixed up since Dick is Vincent's dad in real life.

Here is an article that was written just after it happened. http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/yolanda-fosters-daughter-bella-hadid-arrested-for-dui-report-2014227

• Love 1
I agree... I think Yolanda is a narcissist and a desperate one, has turned Gigi into her ideal self, and Bella has suffered from the implicit rejection and lack of real, compassionate mothering.

I could almost understand if Bella's DUI arrest triggered something in Yo cuz her father died in a car accident.  Even if his death had nothing to do with a drunk driver being involved, maybe she's sensitive to this issue.  Hey. drinking & driving is a sensitive issue & an extremely important one.  Yo was right when she brings up in the email, Bella's careless & reckless behavior could have caused harm to herself & others.  But I still think she was really hard on her.  Way too hard on her, without showing any compassion or understanding.  A 17 year old girl who goes drinking & driving with a suspended license is a cry out for help.  Don't get me wrong, I think Yo should come down on her & she deserves to be punished, but she is still 17 & some empathy is called for.

• Love 2

Aurora296, thanks for the video link; sad to say, I remember both John Parr and that song. I gotta say, if a geezer* were groping my thigh, I'd hop out of the car, too.  But Lisa was really pretty; the lips are a little crazy, but I think she's aged well, whether naturally or by other means.

*Because I think he should have been in his 30s at the time, but he looks way older than that.  Unlike Ms. Rinna, John Parr did not age well. 

• Love 2

My previous post didn't mention the DUI or email, but it was also deleted. Weird. Anyway...

Because she [bella] flirted with lesbianism?

I thought that was David's daughter? (One dated LiLo's ex, I believe.)

Nice find, aurora296. Rinna really butchered her already full lips. Shame.

Huh.  They deleted the post where I dissed John Parr, too.  Maybe he's more powerful than I thought.....

Anyway, thank you, Aurora296, for the John Parr video.  Lisa Rinna was (and in my opinion still is, lips and all) very beautiful; but I still maintain that John Parr looks about 50, and he was in his 30s at the time. 

Hi guys, in the future if you have a question sending your mod a PM is the fastest/best way to get it answered. We hid the posts to discuss them and since your lovely mods all have other jobs and responsibilities those discussions were not instantaneous. The posts are all alive and kicking and have been moved over to Yolanda's topic since the only thing that actually happened in the actual episode was Yo finding out that there was a DUI. The email etc. is not on topic within the episode discussion because it did not happen in the episode. 

The posts questioning what happened to all the other posts have been deleted. Again, if you have questions PM a mod :). 

• Love 4

I think Kyle knew they were sick, but didn't know it was take-to-your-bed kind of sick.  Which is why she asked if throwing up was involved, and Kim only then admitted it.  

So I think she was prepared to risk a head cold, but that doesn't mean she wanted to jeopardize a dream vacation.  Though I have to give her Aunty credit for going in to say hi to her niece -- that was kind.  The day before flying overseas I'd probably just text her from the next room!

• Love 5

What's interesting to me is that both Kyle and Kim laughed off Kim's "tricking" Kyle into risking illness just to get her over to the house. It makes me think that this type of pathological narcissism is just par for the course within this family. Like, I would be seriously pissed if my sister did something like that to me, because my sister would never do anything like that to me. It would be so out of character for her that I would have to call her out on it.

For Kim and Kyle, it is just another harmless prank that a big sister pulled on her little sister. The layers of dysfunction in this family always startles me and for some reason, it's the things that they both seem to think of as no big deal that stand out to me the most.

• Love 7

I think Kyle knew they were sick, but didn't know it was take-to-your-bed kind of sick.  Which is why she asked if throwing up was involved, and Kim only then admitted it.  

So I think she was prepared to risk a head cold, but that doesn't mean she wanted to jeopardize a dream vacation.  Though I have to give her Aunty credit for going in to say hi to her niece -- that was kind.  The day before flying overseas I'd probably just text her from the next room!

Someone needs to inform Kyle that human hair covering your nose/mouth will not protect you in the least! LOL Talk about germs!

• Love 2

Someone needs to inform Kyle that human hair covering your nose/mouth will not protect you in the least! LOL Talk about germs!

There is a joke in there about Kyle hiding behind her hair or using it as a shield somewhere. My brain is just too overloaded to put it together.

• Love 3

"Mom's these days."  "Welcome to my world."  Oh please.  We know these things aren't really reality, but can we let the kid just be a kid and not be fed lines to be considered "precocious"?

To me it just sounded like a kid that watches too much Disney channel.  The kids on the live action shows are especially sassy and say crap like that all the time and the laugh track tells the kids at home that it is funny, so they end up repeating it.  My niece and nephew say one-liners like that all the time and whenever I ask my sister where they get she rattles off some Disney show.  

I still can't figure out why Yo thinks Bella is such a rebel.  Cuz she kept her brown hair in a town of bleached blondes?  Because she wears edgier clothes?  Because she flirted with lesbianism?   Yawn.

I don't think that Bella actually flirted with lesbianism, at least not from what was shown on the show.  Yo, ever the supportive mom, just called her a lesbian because she played sports.

• Love 5

To me it just sounded like a kid that watches too much Disney channel. The kids on the live action shows are especially sassy and say crap like that all the time and the laugh track tells the kids at home that it is funny, so they end up repeating it. My niece and nephew say one-liners like that all the time and whenever I ask my sister where they get she rattles off some Disney show.

I don't think that Bella actually flirted with lesbianism, at least not from what was shown on the show. Yo, ever the supportive mom, just called her a lesbian because she played sports.

Yeah Portia sassy in a very sitcom way. I remember back in the day (1980s & 90s) there were shows my parents wouldn't let us watch that were totally kid appropriate because they couldn't stand sassy back talk being cute. They were really big on manners. All four of us are nearly over the top polite. The fact that I have really good manners has saved my ass more than once.

As for Bella, while I do think Yo is a little homophobic in a weird women are ment to be sweet and not like all those aggressive lesbians way (I don't share that opinion of women and/or lesbians by the way) I can buy that Bella has been much more of a handful than Gigi. Gigi strikes me as being like Pandora. A kid that adopted her parents morals and world view wholesale and then set about diligently being the perfect daughter. Bella might have been like Max. Not a bad kid, but not a "came out of the box perfect" kid either. After a daughter that just naturally did exactly what was expected of her, Yo may have had trouble dealing with a kid that needed a heavier hand. She may have just assumed Bella would be an easy ride like Gigi and ignored some things. All that being said, I think her reaction to the DUI, from what I've seen on the show, has been pretty reasonable.

• Love 3
I don't think that Bella actually flirted with lesbianism, at least not from what was shown on the show.  Yo, ever the supportive mom, just called her a lesbian because she played sports.

Wait, I thought last season Yo made some sort of disparaging joke that Gigi was sorta butch or lesbian-ish cuz she was really into sports & it was making her body look sorta bulky in a way that wouldn't be good for a future modeling career.  Am I right about this?  Bella has hardly been mentioned by Yo at all, let alone refering to her as a lesbian.  Hey, btw, where the heck did this "Bella is a lesbian" stuff come from anyway?  I never heard this before.

• Love 4

Wait, I thought last season Yo made some sort of disparaging joke that Gigi was sorta butch or lesbian-ish cuz she was really into sports & it was making her body look sorta bulky in a way that wouldn't be good for a future modeling career.  Am I right about this?  Bella has hardly been mentioned by Yo at all, let alone refering to her as a lesbian.  Hey, btw, where the heck did this "Bella is a lesbian" stuff come from anyway?  I never heard this before.

Confusing Bella and Gigi.  Yolanda said the first season she was on that Gigi wore a jersey to school everyday and she was concerned she might be a lesbian. At least Yolanda acknowledged it was a stupid comment.  Her views on homosexuality being a choice fell pretty flat though. Hopefully her three children are more enlightened.

Edited by zoeysmom
  • Love 4

To me it just sounded like a kid that watches too much Disney channel.  The kids on the live action shows are especially sassy and say crap like that all the time and the laugh track tells the kids at home that it is funny, so they end up repeating it.  My niece and nephew say one-liners like that all the time and whenever I ask my sister where they get she rattles off some Disney show.  

It wasn't just what she said, but it sounded like she was fed the lines and acting them out.  Very unnatural.

• Love 1

Huh.  They deleted the post where I dissed John Parr, too.  Maybe he's more powerful than I thought.....

Anyway, thank you, Aurora296, for the John Parr video.  Lisa Rinna was (and in my opinion still is, lips and all) very beautiful; but I still maintain that John Parr looks about 50, and he was in his 30s at the time. 

What a creepy video that was!  I remember the song (and liking it).  Rinna is beautiful although I hate the lips.  

• Love 1

Yo's daughter did not flirt with lesbianism. YoFo mentioned how her daughter was wearing jerseys all the time, playing volleyball and other sports and connected that with lesbian-like behavior. YoFo is worried (no matter how much she tried to explain it away that season) that her daughter may end up being a lesbian. As if that is a choice.

This is irrelevant, but it gets on my nerves that Mauricio with all his $$$$ wears a plain white T-shirt when they were traveling & arriving at the yacht. I'm sure it's comfortable & it's probably a designer t-shirt, but to me it looks like it came out of a Fruit of the Loom 3 pack. He could at least wear a colored one.

What is the difference on the color? It is still a t-shirt. I think it doesn't make a difference since they were flying in a rented private jet, going from the airport straight to the yacht. Who the heck is he going to impress? Mauricio has shown many times he dresses appropriately for dinners, get-togethers, parties and other social gatherings. When it comes to a vacation, I think he wants to feel relaxed, which is what I do when I go on vacation. I get annoyed looking at people who can't just relax and feel the need to dress to the nines when they are on vacation at a beach, on a boat, etc.

I am having a flashback to the Newlyweds: Nick and Jessica show. Jessica always felt the need to wear these ridiculous high heels everywhere she went. When it came to poolside stuff, she had on these mile-high heels. When she was on a boat with Nick, she wore heels which made it difficult for her to get on the boat.

Edited by GreatKazu
  • Love 3

Funny how Rinna had pretty much the same hair in that vid (from 25 years ago?) as she does now.  Was thinkin, when I was watchin the Lisas lunchin', how both of those broads are so stuck in time with their hair.

True!  But at least Lisa R's looks healthy and not fried with frizzy ends. 

Yanno, the more I think about it... in a town where long hair is "in" and women spend thousands every year on weaves and extensions, I sort of applaud Lisa R for sticking with the shorter hair.   

• Love 4

Yo's daughter did not flirt with lesbianism. YoFo mentioned how her daughter was wearing jerseys all the time, playing volleyball and other sports and connected that with lesbian-like behavior. YoFo is worried (no matter how much she tried to explain it away that season) that her daughter may end up being a lesbian. As if that is a choice.

What is the difference on the color? It is still a t-shirt. I think it doesn't make a difference since they were flying in a rented private jet, going from the airport straight to the yacht. Who the heck is he going to impress? Mauricio has shown many times he dresses appropriately for dinners, get-togethers, parties and other social gatherings. When it comes to a vacation, I think he wants to feel relaxed, which is what I do when I go on vacation. I get annoyed looking at people who can't just relax and feel the need to dress to the nines when they are on vacation at a beach, on a boat, etc.

I am having a flashback to the Newlyweds: Nick and Jessica show. Jessica always felt the need to wear these ridiculous high heels everywhere she went. When it came to poolside stuff, she had on these mile-high heels. When she was on a boat with Nick, she wore heels which made it difficult for her to get on the boat.

They flew private when they went to Palm Springs but I do not think they did that when they went to Spain though.  Mauricio's plain white T shirt and jeans were appropriate for vacation travel, comfort is the smart way to travel especially on a long flight.

• Love 3

True! But at least Lisa R's looks healthy and not fried with frizzy ends.

Yanno, the more I think about it... in a town where long hair is "in" and women spend thousands every year on weaves and extensions, I sort of applaud Lisa R for sticking with the shorter hair.

I think if you find a hairdo that works for you, keep it. Changing your hair constantly is a time-consuming effort. She has a family and a career, so she keeps that simple.

• Love 3

I like Rinna's hair a lot. She can keep it as is & still look OK. But kinda surprised she's never experimented with longer lengths. Now da Pump OTOH -- oy! Her hair looks like a draggy shitty mess. And it doesn't have to be.

I don't agree dat women should stick with one hairstyle their whole lives -- even if it has worked at some point. It gets boring & can start to look either ridiculous or just be plain unmanageable, due to changes in age or menopause or pregnancy.

I was just lookin' at pics of Jennifer Garner. My sis is the same age as her (42) & had Jen's current cheerleader 'do when she was in junior high 30 years ago. Now Jen looks really good, except for hair. Her hair makes her look kinda ridiculous. A slight change would be a huge improvement for her.

Same for da Pump. She has the same hair she had 30 years ago, when she was doing her music vids. It's time for a hair change, Pump -- cuz longer hair can be so much harder to maintain. For Rinna, with her always short, kicky 'do, it's a lot easier.

Hey, btw, wonder how many of these broads did music vids back in the '80's? Guess it was the thing to do for a struggling young gal back then, eh? And look what it could lead to. Hmmmm.

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 1

Yeah Portia sassy in a very sitcom way. I remember back in the day (1980s & 90s) there were shows my parents wouldn't let us watch that were totally kid appropriate because they couldn't stand sassy back talk being cute. They were really big on manners. All four of us are nearly over the top polite. The fact that I have really good manners has saved my ass more than once.

As for Bella, while I do think Yo is a little homophobic in a weird women are ment to be sweet and not like all those aggressive lesbians way (I don't share that opinion of women and/or lesbians by the way) I can buy that Bella has been much more of a handful than Gigi. Gigi strikes me as being like Pandora. A kid that adopted her parents morals and world view wholesale and then set about diligently being the perfect daughter. Bella might have been like Max. Not a bad kid, but not a "came out of the box perfect" kid either. After a daughter that just naturally did exactly what was expected of her, Yo may have had trouble dealing with a kid that needed a heavier hand. She may have just assumed Bella would be an easy ride like Gigi and ignored some things. All that being said, I think her reaction to the DUI, from what I've seen on the show, has been pretty reasonable.

I think Yolanda has a very heteronormative view of gender and sexuality. For her, there's a strict binary between male and female behaviors and spheres (men should not meddle in women's discussions and vice versa, etc.) and a woman's ideal vocation is to serve a man's desires and needs. An idealized and objectified femininity - serving chicken in lingerie - is concomitant with the ideal relationship between a man and a woman.

So, of course, lesbianism does not fit in with that basic set of beliefs.

Edited by vrocotamy
  • Love 8

Oh my lord, as much as I dislike Yolanda, when they scanned her body when she was walking to the yacht, I thought "DAMN! That's hot for 50!" She has amazing legs. All her cake avoidance seems to be working for her.

I had the same thought when I saw it today! Wow, she has something to be proud of in keeping herself in such great shape. On the other hand, I did note the "eh, who needs college when they could MODEL?" attitude and found it frustrating. "Mohammed wants the kids to go to college" so she, apparently reluctantly, will stand back and let them possibly pick up a little education. While I agree that it's ok to "strike while the iron is hot" in a career, I don't think the modeling world is even healthy for a young woman, so I just don't like Yo pushing her girls toward it.

• Love 5

What I want to know is why a 17 year old (at the time) already had a suspended license, before the DUI? I'm sure David (with his history) LOVED bailing her out at 6am (she apparently got pulled at 4am, so say 2 hours later). I feel bad for him for that.  

I'd much rather watch Milania-although she's a hellion, she is a natural one. Portia is like a bad version of  Michelle Tanner.

Brandi is awful. So low rent.

Love the Lisa's.

Kim? Who cares?

Love Eileen's home. However, if her marriage is truly bicker-based...we will be watching a divorce next season with the way these things play out on these shows. Not sure on who is pulling in the $$$ for those two (Malibu-significantly more $ than BH)- a monogrammed stone outdoor fireplace isn't cheap, my neighbor has one and paid out the wazoo for it. 

Edited by lillypforme
  • Love 3

Love Eileen's home. However, if her marriage is truly bicker-based...we will be watching a divorce next season with the way these things play out on these shows. Not sure on who is pulling in the $$$ for those two- a monogrammed stone outdoor fireplace isn't cheap, my neighbor has one and paid out the wazoo for it. 

I think they're both paying for it -- Davidson is paid very well for Y&R, and Van Patten has some current acting credits, plus he does commentary on poker shows. I'd guess Davidson earns more, but they might be fine with it; Van Patten had his big days (as a teen idol), which he might be very happy to leave behind.

• Love 2

I am sure Davidson's Y&R contract is very sweet but can't locate the details.  VVP probably doesn't earn anywhere close to what she does, but he does 1) have something to do with his time; and 2) contribute to the household income.  

• Love 1

Why is it Pump looks sooooo much older than Rinna, when supposedly the age difference between them is a mere 3 years?

'Cause Lisa R ain't channeling Joan Collins-The Dynasty Years!

Seriously, I do think style has a lot to do with it. Lisa V's dated style ages her. I think she's very pretty. She just needs an extreme makeover.

• Love 7

'Cause Lisa R ain't channeling Joan Collins-The Dynasty Years!

Seriously, I do think style has a lot to do with it. Lisa V's dated style ages her. I think she's very pretty. She just needs an extreme makeover.

Amen, glad I'm not the only one. I think Lisa V. is very pretty, but she needs a softer layered hairstyle. Maybe something like Ken's, only on her head.

• Love 3

What Lisa V does well is having her clothing custom fit or made but what she does poorly is using the same patterns and styles that worked for her years ago. She would look great with a style similar to Jaclyn Smith that is more modern while still being age appropriate.

• Love 5

I do think of the 3 sisters that Kyle is the most balanced of them, the bar was set really low by their mother IMO, and that her saving grace was Mauricio's mother. I would not go so far as to describe Kyle as either "down to earth or well-adjusted" though! LOL

I think Kyle is the most needy/desperate for attention of all the HWs with the exception of Brandi. She has this aura of "see me, PLEASE see me" surrounding her all the time. She needs constant reinforcement, praise and recognition IMO and those needs stem from her mother pitting her and Kim against each other for her affection, attention, time and love. Although Kyle did have success in acting as a child/teen, she did not measure up to Kim's success or child star status and was reminded of that daily by their mother. Big Kathy really messed up her daughters but at least Kyle has Mauricio's mom to help her grow, the same, sadly/unfortunately, can not be said of either Kathy or Kim.

As one of three girls close in age in my family, I can accept Kyle's need for attention!  As hard as parents try not to create comparisons, they have no control over the outside world.  In Big Kathy's case, she obviously DID make comparisons!  I appreciate that Kyle seeks it in other ways than Brandi!

I just can't with Brandi's fucked up face and all the low plunge shirts are not her friend.  I've never been a fan, but didn't she used to be at least kind of attractive?  

I'm not saying I don't think Brandi is stupid, because I totally do, but it isn't wise to put a big down payment down on a lease.  It isn't like purchasing a car.  When purchasing, a large down payment might make sense depending on the interest rate even though a car in general is a depreciating asset.  When you lease a big down payment is just throwing your money away (as opponents of leasing will say a lease is in general, but I digress) as the only return you'll see on it are slightly lower lease payments, unless of course you're planning on paying the residual at the end of the lease and buying the car, but most are not.  Also, depending on how Brandi worked it, her lease payments might not be that bad.  I have a $65k car and my lease payment is ~$450, I worked the system to get a low cap cost, a high residual, and low money factor.  I might have put a couple hundred dollars down, but I don't think I did.  However, I don't see Brandi doing research on what programs and incentives to use, busting out spreadsheets to run the math on various scenarios, or negotiating well.  Maybe her money manager did?  Also, unlike Brandi, my finances are in order, I'm a homeowner, and I'm not claiming poverty.  I'm also not responsible for children, nor do I have an ex-husband that I'm fighting with over money.

She leases cars and rents houses.  Next week she'll have to get rid of the car and find another and I guess she'll blame that on Eddie and LeeAnn too.

Imagine Yolanda's reaction if a bikini clad Kyle straddled David to make a "sandwich".  Something tells me that wouldn't go over well. 

Oh Yolanda and her stories.  Don't forget that she sat at her dad's funeral (at the age of seven) and knew that she alone would have to now support this family.  I'm sorry, but that's a LOL moment.  So I'm guessing she had a paper route, babysat daily, and walked everyone's dogs - right.  And what a way to completely discredit her mother - a lazy slob who made her seven year old bear the burden of caring for the family.

Was Mauricio laying on top of Kyle?  I thought that's why she was saying sandwich.  It thought it was kind of funny.

• Love 2

BettyPoz

Yes, Mauricio was laying on Kyle.

I thought it was strange because well, Kyle and Yolanda are not close like that.

I had forgotten about Yo swimming up to Mauricio's crotch till some one mentioned it up thread, lol oh that Yo ;)

Edited by imjagain

Does Vince make much these days? Does hosting poker tournaments pay much? Have no idea. Seems like ED's Y&R dough supports their Malibu lifestyle. Didn't Eileen pretty much say dat?

He used to be a professional poker player besides act and that pays pretty well if you're good. I have a friend who made a couple hundred grand when he did poker for a year. Not bad for working a few days a month but the tourneys are grueling. In sure Vince winnings and income from multiple endorsements and acting shit are online.

• Love 1

I found myself more or less liking Kyle by the end of last year. She had clearly  been humbled by her experiences in Season 2 and was generally giving everyone a fair chance. I even felt a soft spot for her horrible jokes. But I have lost all respect her in the way that she has completely dropped all the issues she had with Lisa last season. Their restaurant "reconciliation" was ridiculous. Kyle had beef with Lisa last year - she was seriously pissed at the reunion - and now, it's just, "Okay, let's move on." Lisa never took responsibility for anything. And yet Kyle is so happy to just sweep it under the rug and go back to laughing like old friends? It just seems really superficial and disingenuous. I can't stand Brandi for the most part, but at least she is not pretending to move on with Lisa.

• Love 7

I found myself more or less liking Kyle by the end of last year. She had clearly  been humbled by her experiences in Season 2 and was generally giving everyone a fair chance. I even felt a soft spot for her horrible jokes. But I have lost all respect her in the way that she has completely dropped all the issues she had with Lisa last season. Their restaurant "reconciliation" was ridiculous. Kyle had beef with Lisa last year - she was seriously pissed at the reunion - and now, it's just, "Okay, let's move on." Lisa never took responsibility for anything. And yet Kyle is so happy to just sweep it under the rug and go back to laughing like old friends? It just seems really superficial and disingenuous. I can't stand Brandi for the most part, but at least she is not pretending to move on with Lisa.

I think this is them accepting each other for who they are. Neither of them are much for taking responsibility for things they may have said or done that were hurtful to the other. So, it would make sense that if they truly do want to move on, they have to stop demanding apologies from each other, because it would be an exercise is frustration and futility.

Lisa doesn't admit that she is wrong and neither does Kyle. So they have to decide what it is they truly hope to accomplish when dealing with each other. What they truly want to accomplish is for them to move on. Since neither is willing to give, their restaurant makeup session actually makes a great deal of sense to me.

• Love 7