Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E09: Two Sides To Every Story

hqtextbook

Rayna continues to pull out all stops in self-promotion, this time by agreeing to do a televised Christmas special from her home for charity, with Luke and the children. But when she invites Deacon to join in, things get awkward fast. Her magazine cover story has reverberations for her personal life. Meantime, it’s Nashville’s Winterfest and Zoey, Gunnar and Avery have an opportunity to perform. With Scarlett’s coaching, Terry sings for the crowd and blows them away, but cannot handle the limelight. Will and Layla go to Winterfest and each find solace, but separately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8nND3i1YlE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8nND3i1YlE

I actually really enjoyed this episode, but then I had a really bad day. 

I wasn't that interested in Terry's story line, but I like the idea of Scarlett as a manager. 

I liked Scarlett and the boys together. 

I laughed at Juliette. It was a bad day. (for me)  I did think it was in character. Somehow I didn't think Juliette lost all her dignity like Will and ....

Deacon. I still love him though.

Rayna didn't bother me. I know it's traditional, but Baby It's Cold Outside goes with that slightly off vibe many people have have about Ruke or rather Layna. 

Jeff and Layla are cute together. I like Joni Mitchell before she was trendy.

• Love 4

Oh, Deacon...you're so pathetic. No pride at all, man, huh? (Psst! Call me.)

"Baby It's Cold Outside" was the perfect song for Luke and Rayna to sing. Ha! Someone on that writing staff has a sense of humor at least.

Juliette on the scooter with a scarf was hilarious.

Is Zoe really leaving?

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 7

Well if the goal was to make the audience hate Rayna, they've succeeded with this viewer. She's known for a while now that she sold out her relationship with Deacon to save Maddie, yet she can't be bothered to tell him until the day it hits the newstand?? And she very clearly doesn't want any of what Luke's selling for Xmas, yet she just goes along with it. And then rather than treating Deacon with even an ounce of warmth when he admits that he hasn't moved on, she just goes ahead and yells at him. I hope D tells her to take a long walk off a VERY short pier when she inevitably comes back around.

Loved crazy Juliette. I wish her scene with Deacon hadn't been cut, but she and Avery just light up around each other and I love them.

Glad to see Zoey moving on. And nice to see Scarlett back on stage where she belongs. She doesn't need to play arena tours to be a successful musician. Liked Terry's song, but I still feel like we're stuck with the magical negro storyline - this is how Scarlett gets her mojo back.

I actually liked Layla with Jeff and vice versa, they both seemed more real than they ever have before. Felt a bit badly for Will, taking coffee into her only to find that she hadn't been home. I think he's grown to genuinely care about her, even if he isn't in love with her.

Curious to see what next week brings and if Rayna really goes through with marrying the douchebag.

• Love 9

Damn. Oliver Hudson is hot when he's not being a smarmy sleazeball. I know it won't last, but I liked seeing this nicer side of him. I wonder how long it will be before Layla is boiling his bunny.

Will needs to stop trying to smooch random dudes. How many times is he going to get his ass kicked for grabbing some guy on the back of the head and trying to lay one on him? I'm ready for him to be out and dealing with the fallout (sadly) as an out gay country artist.

I liked Scarlet performing with the band, but someone really needs to help her with her, er, dancing? spontaneous movements? Just. so. bad. I don't care about the homeless guy, either. Maybe he can hop on the plane to LA with Zoey.

Gunnar's kid can exit stage left now. Forever.

Juliette made me laugh out loud with the scarf and sunglasses and the scooter. Girl lost her damn mind -- in a funny, not harming herself or anyone else for a change (except for some crappy art)-- way. Pregnancy hormones. It happens. I need Juliette and Avery to be together and happy and in love with a healthy baby. No more tragedy and drama for these two!

I don't trust Sadie at all. Something snakey about her, and the way she and LW were eye-screwing each other at the CMA's I figure it'll be no time before they're sleeping together. I can only hope he and Rayna are over first and it's not some stupid deal where she walks in on them so she can be a damn martyr. Like she needs anything else to be a sanctimonious hag about.

HATE. HATE. HATED Deacon acting like such a sad sack for Rayna. Again. Geesh. She just craps all over him time, after time, after time, and he keeps coming back for more. Grow a pair, man! She's an asshole and you deserve better.

Edited by ReadingZombie
  • Love 8

I think Zoe's done.

The Scarlett/Gunnar/Avery song was the best part. I don't think the others would be angry with Gunnar's choice, Avery would turn it down for the same reason and the last time Scarlett went on tour it traumatized her for life. She barely did the 1 performance, she should probably be eased in before going out on tours again like last time. 

The wedding date and honeymoon tour was Rayna's idea. (thank you Luke) why is she acting like it's wasn't and that it's now inconveniencing her? Each episode she seems to have a different mentality. One week she's all about doing just the RS interview at the expense of family time and being home, now the next when she came up with this honeymoon tour she's acting like the opposite. Like suddenly family time became important to her? 

Layla's song was great! 

• Love 4

Juliette zooming around in disguise was gold. More please!

Have the writers been reading the comments here about Jeff? Tonight, he was not the mustache-twirling villain that we have come to hate. However, it did make my skin did crawl a bit to see him in bed with Layla. He is a little too old and way too much of a snake. Seems like Layla just made another bad choice.

Loved the band with Scarlett, Gunnar and Avery but the "non-kid" is killing me. Why is he in this show?!

At this point, watching Luke and Rayna smooch makes me gag. So tired of her sighs and protestations. This romance can't end soon enough but Rayna's character may be irreparably damaged.

• Love 6

Enjoyed the episode. Nice we got more music again.

If we never see Zoey again, that might not be a loss. Storming out when she had this shot to perform with ZAG in front of a big name shows such immaturity, coupled with the attitude that she doesn't want to be "just a back-up singer" anymore, after how long in Nashville? Show better not have her hitting it big in L.A. straight away, ugh.

On the bright side, I knew that meant that Scarlett was going to step in for her, and they gave a good performance...so what is Gunnar thinking, saying no to a tour because he has a family to support. Ugh to him too. Now I'm not sure what he wants to do in the biz, in addition to writing songs.

I like how Layla and Jeff connected musically and like regular folks at the fest, which then was ruined by ending up in bed.

Juliette in a lame disguise (and then renting a scooter!) was so stupid, but I did have quite a laugh. Glad the misunderstanding got talked through and it worked out (for now, anyway).

• Love 5

Well if the goal was to make the audience hate Rayna, they've succeeded with this viewer. She's known for a while now that she sold out her relationship with Deacon to save Maddie, yet she can't be bothered to tell him until the day it hits the newstand?? And she very clearly doesn't want any of what Luke's selling for Xmas, yet she just goes along with it. And then rather than treating Deacon with even an ounce of warmth when he admits that he hasn't moved on, she just goes ahead and yells at him. I hope D tells her to take a long walk off a VERY short pier when she inevitably comes back around.

Loved crazy Juliette. I wish her scene with Deacon hadn't been cut, but she and Avery just light up around each other and I love them.

Glad to see Zoey moving on. And nice to see Scarlett back on stage where she belongs. She doesn't need to play arena tours to be a successful musician. Liked Terry's song, but I still feel like we're stuck with the magical negro storyline - this is how Scarlett gets her mojo back.

I actually liked Layla with Jeff and vice versa, they both seemed more real than they ever have before. Felt a bit badly for Will, taking coffee into her only to find that she hadn't been home. I think he's grown to genuinely care about her, even if he isn't in love with her.

Curious to see what next week brings and if Rayna really goes through with marrying the douchebag.

Was a Juliette and Deacon scene cut?  I hadn't heard about that.  Sometimes I wonder what the powers that be are smoking.  Why cut a scene featuring two characters that the audience adores?????

And to echo the words of ReadingZombie, I need everything to work out for Juliette and Avery.  Let them have love, marriage, and the baby carriage!  Spin them off into their own series and let them take Emily and Glenn along.  Watching them just makes me smile.

What is it that Rayna does to the men in her life???  Poor Deacon is pining away, and poor Teddy is dating a call girl.  Luke is not my favorite character, but I have sympathy even for him.  No matter what man Rayna is currently with, she seems to have a backup or two with whom she must remain entangled.

Scarlett has become far more tolerable.  I am actually rooting for Gunnar to reconnect with her.

• Love 6

Luke and Rayna's "X-mas Special" (good Lord, everything about this couple makes me want to barf) was the fakest fake that ever faked in the history of fakery! A gruesomely charmless version of "Baby, It's Fake In Here." They don't even harmonize well. They're icky. Please make them stop.

Avery and Juliet are kind of cute, even if Juliette's kind of lost her mind.

Still don't care about Jeff and Layla, even though he acted almost like a person.

Bye, Zoey!

• Love 8

SAG? GAS? I guess the band name is a moot point since Gunnar unilaterally said no to a tour.

I like Jeff's nice-guy side, and we'll probably never see it again.

I'm not digging the path Rayna has been walking. I hope Deacon can finally let go, and not by overdose.

Edited by KR Vermont
  • Love 3

At this point, I just have to accept that I'm going to be bouncing around each week on who I'm annoyed with the most, between Luke and Rayna.  Last time, it was Luke, the sore loser.  This time, it was Rayna and her complaining.  As Luke pointed out, pretty much everything she was bitching about, was her own doing.  Yeah, it sucks, but you made those calls, so live with it, and quit harping on it to everyone else.  And, really: if you really thought sacrificing Deacon's personal life to save Maddie's was necessary, I can go with it.  But, if you don't tell him until the last second, and he finds out on his own, of course he's going to be upset.  Then again, I guess it's in character: Rayna does love to keep things from Deacon, huh?

Of course, Deacon is still hung up on her.  You need to move on, my man.  Again, I want that random hook-up played by Charlotte Ross to come back.  Now, that is someone I want to see Deacon with.

Bye, Zoey!  I think she's gone for good.  I know she said LA, but I continue to believe she's just hanging out wherever Coleman, Judith, and Brent got sent off too.

Meanwhile, Scarlett steps up in her place, thanks to Terrence performing, melting down, getting drunk (how long did it take her to find him?  That was some strong alcohol!), and calling her a coward.  I guess that's one way to do it.  Good job, Terry!  You did your job well!  Somewhere, Bagger Vance, Uncle Remus, and 90% of Morgan Freeman characters, nod their heads in approval!

Hey, something happen, and Jeff and Layla acted like human beings tonight!  And, of course, that meant they hooked up!  Oh, Nashville!  Meanwhile, Will continues to be on a quest to get himself outed the worst way possible.

Avery and Juliette was borderline sitcom territory, but, as usual, Hayden and Jonathan sold it enough to make it work.

The Avery/Gunnar/Scarlett song and Layla's song were both great, but I was totally not feeling the "Ruke" melody.  Usually the final song each episode brings it home, but this one just didn't work for me.

• Love 9

Any Juliette that is not being dumped on by the show is a win. Hormonally unhinged Juliette Capote was adorable.

I love Emily.

I liked Scarlet performing with the band, but someone really needs to help her with her, er, dancing? spontaneous movements?

Electroshock induced spasms. I'm kinda twitchy just watching. Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 9

I didn't care for this one. Some positives:

My love for Emily continues to grow.

Zoey's hair was awesome this episode.

That said, the non-kid is officially on my nerves. Get him out of here, please. I felt sorry for Maddie and Daphne for having to deal with that fake, corny Christmas special. Deacon was so right when he said he didn't understand how Rayna could live like that. Ugh. And why the hell didn't Rayna call Deacon the night before the magazine came out and talked to him then? She waited and then called him obsessively the next day? That makes no sense.

There is nothing, NOTHING, that can be done to make me like Layla. Nothing. Stop trying to shove her down my throat, show. I have not a single damn for her. 

Will...wth, dude. Why must he be a manwhore? A stupid manwhore.

Terry got drunk faster than Jolene ever got high. Damn.

I just want to burn all of Scarlett's clothes. I just want to set her entire closet on fire. Throw the wig in too.

Juliette knocking the tent over was like something out of That's So Raven and it made me cringe and laugh at the same time. She and Avery were cute in their last scene together. I'm glad he's over holding grudges against her. It would be terribly difficult to accept that the person you love and whose child you are carrying is moving on with his life and dating other women. That would burn.

I tried so hard to hold out hope for Rayna, probably because of Connie. But y'all, after tonight...

• Love 2

Juliet "not stalking" in the wheelchair was all kinds of fantastic.  Everything about it was perfect.  I guess I'm sorry that she almost ruined Avery's meeting, but I loved the way she went about it.  Those two crazy kids just need to figure it out already.

Will made me sad.  I think they're doing a decent job of showing the struggle of a man who feels he needs to stay in the closet, despite wanting to be his true self.  

Stupid Jeff, why do you have to be everywhere?  Everyone hates you!  And stop sleeping with the vulnerable young women, please.  It's gross.

God, Scarlett, you were decent last week, and then this week you're right back to your usual terrible self.  I did sort of like their song though.  At least she helped get rid of Zoe.

Not a fan of the previews for next week.  Just in case, 

I really don't want to see more of "Deacon goes off the wagon and is in danger". Especially if it's about Rayna - we've already done that, show.

• Love 4

If we never see Zoey again, that might not be a loss. Storming out when she had this shot to perform with ZAG in front of a big name shows such immaturity, coupled with the attitude that she doesn't want to be "just a back-up singer" anymore, after how long in Nashville?

I'm iffy on this.  On one hand, she did have an audience expecting her to sing.  On the other, the whole gig was just a way to manipulate Zoey into coming back to Gunnar, and playing 'mama' to his child, under the pretense of getting her career hopes up. He had a lot of nerve accusing her of being selfish under those circumstances because she was absolutely right.  He had money and a career as a song writer that gave him the freedom to make those choices.  Avery has had some gigs as a producer so also had opportunities.  I don't blame her for taking the stance that Gunnar made his own bed. 

Juliette made me laugh.  It was so out there for this show but it worked. 

• Love 9

Layla's shocking hookup was Jeff?  It would have been more shocking if it really had been a drunken hook-up with Will.  Layla and Jeff hooking up at least once was basically a given.

I'm iffy on this.  On one hand, she did have an audience expecting her to sing.  On the other, the whole gig was just a way to manipulate Zoey into coming back to Gunnar, and playing 'mama' to his child, under the pretense of getting her career hopes up. He had a lot of nerve accusing her of being selfish under those circumstances because she was absolutely right.  He had money and a career as a song writer that gave him the freedom to make those choices.  Avery has had some gigs as a producer so also had opportunities.  I don't blame her for taking the stance that Gunnar made his own bed.

I couldn't really blame her for walking off.  She was willing to move past the awkwardness because it was good for her career but to find out that none of it matters because Gunnar made the decision to turn down the opportunity for everyone would piss me off too.  She could stay and sing and maybe impress the manager but unless Gunnar changes his mind it gets her absolutely nowhere.

So now that Scarlett can sing again Terry can go back to being a homeless drunk?  Well, that's nice.

Why must they sacrifice Deacon at the altar of St Rayna?  Season 1 Deacon would never have been so sad and pathetic.

• Love 1

So glad the plot devices separating the trio are gone. Haven't cared about them individually since they separated--well, except for Avery because they gave him a believable storyline with Juliette. 

Jeff Fordham was newly hot this episode. The actor has filled out nicely after being very leanly built in all his past roles. Layla and Jeff have surprisingly good chemistry.

Scarlett's gaunt face is distracting but seeing her back performing in the trio is the only time I enjoy her. Hope it doesn't take too long to resolve the plot device of Gunnar's insta-kid.

Edited by anonymiss

Here's hoping Zoey is gone for good, she added nothing to the show.

I didn't like the Juliette-as-stalker stuff at all, I thought the whole thing was just stupid, and I don't watch this show for slapstick comedy. Instead of having Juliette acting like a hormonal idiot, why don't you let her do something good, like, I don't know, maybe sing?

Are they seriously trying to turn Jeff into a good guy now? What happened to him trying become BFFs with Teddy & signing the kids to his label? Now that's he's screwed Layla, is going to be all gung ho for her career?

How many times are we going to have to watch Will try to pick up strangers? Either have him come out or find a boyfriend who wants to be a secret, but I'm bored with him.

• Love 2

Layla's shocking hookup was Jeff?  It would have been more shocking if it really had been a drunken hook-up with Will.  Layla and Jeff hooking up at least once was basically a given.

I couldn't really blame her for walking off.  She was willing to move past the awkwardness because it was good for her career but to find out that none of it matters because Gunnar made the decision to turn down the opportunity for everyone would piss me off too.  She could stay and sing and maybe impress the manager but unless Gunnar changes his mind it gets her absolutely nowhere.

So now that Scarlett can sing again Terry can go back to being a homeless drunk?  Well, that's nice.

I think what will be interesting about Jeff and Layla will be the fall out.  Obviously, Will is the only person she ever slept with (according to her) and he turned out to be gay.  From what we've seen of Jeff he has hooked up with prostitutes and slept with Juliette one time and used it to blackmail her.  I suppose he could throw Layla away or use their new relationship to blackmail Will since Layla has options now.  Or maybe Layla will just leave Will all together.

I agree about Zoey.  She was under the impression the show was cancelled.  She only agreed to do it last minute because she thought there was a record deal.  It turns out that Gunnar wasn't willing to make those decisions so she was just stuck.  It was very unprofessional to leave right before a show.  Unrelated to that, Gunnar calling her selfish was way off base.  She was very direct with him.  She loved him but she is not at a point in her life where she wants to raise his sudden kid.  She wants to make music.  Being there for Gunnar and his new family life is not her responsibility.  I don't mind Gunnar making a decision for the group because Avery didn't seem that into it anyway and now he has another job lined up.  Plus, Scarlett joined like ten minutes before they performed so she might not be that invested either.

I actually liked the idea of manager Scarlett and that she was actually good at it.  I thought she could've gone that way a little longer but she does have that voice so she had to sing again eventually.

I was sad we didn't get to see the Juliette/Deacon scene.  I think they only talked once this season and they used to be really close.  I remember when the show started it seemed like Juliette was full on stalking Deacon.  She would show up wherever he was and would actually be waiting for him, she showed up at his house unannounced, got him gifts and would freak out if he went a few hours without calling her.  It seemed like she only got away with it because she was attractive and would have sex with him whenever they were alone.  I guess she doesn't feel she can play that card with Avery when stalking him.  Haha.  I did find it hilarious that she made a big show of rubbing her belly when Sadie walked up as if to remind her that Avery had a kid on the way.

I don't usually have a problem with Rayna but I really resented her complaining about situations she created.  She created the honeymoon tour.  She could've called Deacon or spoke to him about the Rolling Stone article before she read it, just to let him know she talked about him voluntarily.  I know maybe sometimes you just want to complain but still.

• Love 2

I don't trust Sadie at all. Something snakey about her, and the way she and LW were eye-screwing each other at the CMA's I figure it'll be no time before they're sleeping together. I can only hope he and Rayna are over first and it's not some stupid deal where she walks in on them so she can be a damn martyr. Like she needs anything else to be a sanctimonious hag about.

Calling Rayna a "sanctimonious hag" made me laugh out loud. Yes...yes, she is. And I agree - let's not have Rayna "discover them" and get self-righteous and weepy. I won't be throwing a pity party for her. Let's have her realize that Luke is wrong for her and dump his sorry ass. Then she needs to take responsibility for her actions.  

How many times are we going to have to watch Will try to pick up strangers? Either have him come out or find a boyfriend who wants to be a secret, but I'm bored with him.

They have a chance to present a meaningful story line here and they keep dodging it. 

What happened to Teddy and his hooker? Are they vacationing in St Barts for the holidays?

Edited by Ellaria Sand
  • Love 4

Ha, as I predicted weeks ago ZAG has turned into SAG! Scarlett mostly sang ballads with Gunnar so hearing her do such an upbeat song with him and Avery was awesome. That was the most fun she ever looked like she had while performing, so I'm willing to overlook her spazziness. Kind of hilarious to think that we have gone from Avery's Exes to SAG. I loved that Scarlet was looking straight out at the audience while Avery and Gunnar were making eyes at each other during their song.

Also hilarious was Scarlett reverting back to her crazy homeless grandma outfits. Her dress looked like a nightgown and her coat looked like a robe.

I was totally on Zoe's side during her fight with Gunnar. He DID try to manipulate things in the hopes that everything would go back to the way it used to be, completely disregarding what she told him when they broke up: she doesn't want to be stuck at home with a kid at this time in her life. There is nothing wrong with that choice and it is really disrespectful of Gunnar to be so dismissive of the entire reason that she broke up with him.

And for him to have the absolute gall to call HER selfish? Dude, that's not her kid. It's not selfish that she doesn't want to give up her dreams and aspirations just because you have a kid now. If YOU want to be a responsible parent, then why were you constantly foisting various childrearing situations onto Zoe even when Kiley was still in town? Pick your own kid up from school! Find his shoes for him. Watch him yourself when you're at an awards show. I couldn't believe he yelled at her for being selfish and then had the nerve to be shocked that she wasn't going to stick around to sing with him.

Where Zoe lost me was mouthing off to Scarlett. I know Zoe was upset, but dude, some guy is missing. No need to lash out at Scarlett, who has nothing to do with this, refuse to help her look for this guy, get pissy and tell her that you don't have a home here, and then stomp off. The actress who plays Zoe is so pretty but this episode showed just what a terrible actress she is so I can't say I'm sad to see her go. I was hoping to get one more ZAG song, but c'est la vie. I was cracking up about how she doesn't want to be a backup singer anymore. So one whole job and you crossed that off the list?

Gunnar is an idiot. He jumped at the chance to meet a manager but when said manager offered him some opportunities, he was like, "Oh, playing somewhere outside of Nashville? That seems a bit extreme!" When he suggested recording an album, I thought dude, do you know what you have to do after you record an album? You have to travel and perform to promote said album, so traveling is going to come up sooner or later. Just for the sake of argument, let's just say that this new manager could get them Nashville adjacent shows. Who is going to be at home with Micah? You can't bring kids into bars and Micah needs to be in bed long before they will be done with even a local show. Is Gunnar going to set him up on sleepover playdates every time the band has a show? I am totally supportive of Gunnar wanting to be a responsible parent, but he is making stupid choices about wanting to get this manager if he has no plans to actually use said manager.

Juliette's hilariously bad spy skills and ridiculously conspicuous disguise were awesome. I would totally watch the Emily and Juliette Detective Agency Show!

Heh loved Layla sassing Jeff about being in a Dave Matthews cover band. With that hat on, she reminded me of Ashlee Simpson before her nose job.

One thing that I really liked this week from Connie Britton was how she showed what a good performer Rayna is. Before the cameras started rolling, she looked annoyed with Luke but once they called, "Action!" she played her part to perfection. That is the mark of a professional. Sometimes people forget that "the show must go on" is a real thing. I know so many performers who have had to go on when they were sick, tired, injured, dealing with personal issues, etc. but you would never know anything was wrong while they were onstage.

Who the hell writes these episode descriptions?

Rayna continues to pull out all stops in self-promotion, this time by agreeing to do a televised Christmas special from her home for charity, with Luke and the children. But when she invites Deacon to join in, things get awkward fast. Her magazine cover story has reverberations for her personal life. Meantime, it’s Nashville’s Winterfest and Zoey, Gunnar and Avery have an opportunity to perform. With Scarlett’s coaching, Terry sings for the crowd and blows them away, but cannot handle the limelight. Will and Layla go to Winterfest and each find solace, but separately.
  • Love 7

Juliette still carries the show, even when she provides some uncharacteristic slapstick comedy.  It was so silly, but I laughed anyway.   Maybe the heaviness of her plot line just needed a tiny bit of lightening up.   Comic relief can be a good thing.   Whoever's writing Rayna's story should realize that before the viewing audience irreparably hates her.

I liked this episode, though it would have been better if there had been less of Rayna and Luke and more of just about anyone else.   She's forgotten her earlier determination to keep her daughters' lives as normal as possible and has disrupted their home with a ridiculous, phony Christmas special and is ruining their own holidays in the process.   I don't know who's more annoying, Rayna or Luke, but at least the show is not trying to present Luke as a hero.   The plot-makers want viewers to like Rayna but to dislike Luke, but they're becoming a package deal.  

Luke is going to eventually end up in bed with Sadie, who's just as career-driven as he is.   Rayna's ambitions don't even come close to those two.  That's why she's always whining about the choices she's made while trying to keep up with Luke.  She doesn't like much about him at all, yet she's determined to marry him, as if she's made her decision, dogonnit,  and she's going to stick to it no matter what the consequences. 

Will's desperation for sex with any random hook-up is not making him a sympathetic character at all.  

Layla and Jeff had some nice chemistry together.  Who knew?  Wonder if she'll be the next preggers on the show.  Ha. 

Every time Scarlett and Zoey were in a scene together, all I could see was a lot of bad hair.   It was hard to get past that visual, but I was glad Zoey finally made her exit and that singing Scarlett is back.   

Gunnar's little boy does not add to the plot in any interesting way. 

Juliette and Avery -- best relationship on the show.  Their chemistry together always lights it up.  It would be nice to have at least one solid, happy duo in the plot, so I hope they get back together before the story gets too drawn out the way some of the others on the show have gone.  

I used to want Deacon and Rayna to get back together and be that one happy couple, but no more.   It would be nice if Rayna and Luke just go away on their honeymoon tour forever while Deacon finds someone nice (no, NOT Pam), to be domestic with.

Edited by crocosmia
  • Love 3

Where Zoe lost me was mouthing off to Scarlett.

My take on that was different - possibly colored by the fact that Scarlett (and possibly the person who plays her) bugs the hell out of me.  Zoe's been down and her best friend knows it.  She's just had it out with Gunnar - which Scarlett did not know, but Zoe was clearly upset.  But Scarlett is all "ok, we'll talk about your little problems once you help me find my runaway artist".  I don't blame Zoe for bailing.

The girl who plays Zoe isn't the best actress, but she's been given the role of shallowly written plot device to play over and over again.  I think she's gorgeous and has a great voice.  I'm hoping Zoe is off to LA and not going to show up again with her Scarlett Hate-On because that is just another plot device.  And it would revolve around Scarlett.  And I just can't with that.

One thing that I really liked this week from Connie Britton was how she showed what a good performer Rayna is. Before the cameras started rolling, she looked annoyed with Luke but once they called, "Action!" she played her part to perfection.

I caught that too.  But they really are doing a poor job with Rayna's story.

• Love 3

Season 1 Deacon would never have been so sad and pathetic.

I was so hopeful there too. Back when he came to the house to give Maddie the guitar, I really thought I was seeing Season 1 Deacon back on my screen. He told her how much he didn't recognize her life anymore, flat out, just like he would have back then. I literally cheered. Then they had to go and ruin it with that final scene of him bowing yet again to her and Rayna lambasting him for it. It was awful. I want to write hate tweets to the writers awful.

• Love 4

So is ZAG going to be SAG now?

Or GAS.

I love Connie Britton, but she needs to fire hair, makeup AND lighting for what they did to her last night....whoof. Rough.

And speaking of hair, Scarlett takes the Low-Flow Shower Head crown for her scene with Terry. 

• Love 3

Clare Bowen rocked the scene on stage with Gunnar and Avery.  She was luminous!  Scarlett is so talented, she just had to get over her fears.

And I will be glad for Zoey to be gone.  She adds nothing and is in the way of Scarlett and Gunnar.

• Love 1

Finally they have something for Oliver Hudson other than taking over for Powers Booth's mustache twirling. Who knew I'd leave this episode wanting more Jeff and Layla. He won me over the minute he shared that he "might have done the occasional Satellite."

This episode will go into my top 5 favorite Nashvilles based solely on Juliette's terrible attempts at stalking. Who taught her how to go incognito? Liberace?

I don't know what to say about Rayna, Luke and Deacon because I'm so tired of the triangle.

Edited by CofCinci
  • Love 2

Honestly, at the moment I don't see Luke and Rayna as wrong for each other. I don't want to WATCH them, but as far as I can tell they're both workaholic famewhores with a constant need for the spotlight while patting themselves on the back for how great they are. They are perfect for each other... Just bad for my television set.

I was hoping Will would take the lesson that being gay is okay not sexually harassing a dude who was clearly in a relationship.

Layla's bedmate choice is overall a bad one but the little smile on her face implied that she at least enjoyed it.

Juliette and Avery need to rent a secluded cabin and TALK. They have the feels they just need to get on the same page.

Edited by shipperx
  • Love 6

The girl who plays Zoe isn't the best actress, but she's been given the role of shallowly written plot device to play over and over again.  I think she's gorgeous and has a great voice.  I'm hoping Zoe is off to LA and not going to show up again with her Scarlett Hate-On because that is just another plot device.

I agree; Zoe's interactions with everybody else seem calculated for maximum tears and minimum development. For what's it's worth, I thought that Gunnar was being naive (because ... he's Gunnar) about maybe getting back to the way things were with Zoe, but I don't think he was actually manipulating the situation (to keep her in the band only if she agreed to get back together with him, for example). I think Zoe's "new life" could implode pretty quickly. Unless I missed something, Zoe doesn't have friends or family in LA, and without an agent or prospects or experience as a solo artist or a support system, she could just turn back to Nashville once LA fails to fall instantly at her feet. Getting canned from her backup gig and then bailing on her last show in Nashville can't do her reputation much good.

I actually feel bad for Will, because I think Mr. Bourbon Stout Guy was attractive to him because of the intimacy and openness he represented, rather than as just some random hookup, whether Will is prepared to admit it or not. I think this might actually mark the beginning of Will's inching out of the closet, but I've been wrong about the plot of this show before.  Also, I agree that Avery and Gunnar were kind of making goo-goo eyes at each other during their song. (More Future Ex Drama?)

I disagree that Rayna's professionalism carried her through that holiday travesty with Luke; I think it looked abundantly, awkwardly clear even when the cameras were rolling, that Rayna would rather have been elsewhere. Besides, how can they be taping a Christmas show in November or December? Isn't it standard in the industry to get holiday tv specials in the can by July? At this point, I'm not sure in Luke and Rayna even like each other. Will and Layla seem to be getting along better and I'm sure they have more in common than Rayna and Luke (including that whole liking-to-sleep-with-dudes thing.)

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 2

Also, I agree that Avery and Gunnar were kind of making goo-goo eyes at each other during their song. (More Future Ex Drama?)

I thought they were ready to have a threesome on the stage with Scarlet. They all had such great chemistry.

My take on the ZAG implosion is that if you're serious about being in the business, you've given thought about how you can get your talent seen/heard by people in positions to help you and go for it. Here, Gunnar had a golden opportunity fall in his lap in the form of an audience with Noel, and he and Zoey are airing their dirty laundry in front of him when they've just met, then he says he doesn't think touring is a good idea? Z and G were unprofessional and gave the appearance they didn't have much of a realistic handle on what they want as working musicians looking for their break. If I was Noel, I might give pause at putting my resources and reputation on the line until they get their act together--literally and figuratively, heh.

Zoey could've shined in the performance in the hopes of getting Noel's attention to the point she could go solo, knowing that ZAG likely didn't have a future with Gunnar's fumbling--unless she worked in private to change his mind about touring while holding ground on not being Micah's nanny (or G's girlfriend). Instead, she walked away not having sung a note and deciding on the fly to move to L.A.

• Love 3

For me, the show has a very different feel lately. It's the short scenes, which allow for more time with all the characters, and it's the zany moments that don't seem to fit with the Nashville I remember. And, again, I have to point out all the "y'all"s and twangs that seem to be coming from everyone's mouth that didn't seem to be there before. I think Gunnar and Scarlett always had an "accent", but it feels like everyone else is trying too hard.

The Terry story line gets an F from me. So, so bad. My fear is that Terry is here to replace Zoe, the way Zoe replaced Coleman. Anyone see a pattern here? The biggest problem is that if they only want one "major" Black character on the show, they should have stuck with Coleman. I think Zoe had potential, but she was written poorly, and as someone already mentioned, the actress wasn't great. But she wasn't the only mediocre actor on the show, and she was pretty and had a lovely voice. The show did not do right by her and I hope the actress is off to find a show that treats her better. Sadly, we have to deal with Terry now.

The Micah story line gets an F- from me. I didn't think anything could be worse than the Terry story line, but here it is.

While I do think Juliette driving around on that scooter was kind of funny, it didn't seem to belong on this show. That's what I mean by zany. Who suggested these silly moments with Juliette, Avery, Gunnar and Scarlett? Are they trying to reinvent this show right before our eyes?

As an early fan of Deacon and Rayna, I found that little moment in front of his house insulting. We've been through these Moments with the two of them every season and I'm just tired. Either move this couple forward and get on with their separate stories.  

I can't believe these writers still have jobs.

Edited by slade3
  • Love 2

Layla is actually bearable to me now. I've been mostly fine with her this season and I could see myself starting to like her if she doesn't kill herself first. I'm still annoyed that Will has been stuck in the same old storyline for a season and a half now and literally made zero progress. Why does he even need to be there if nothing is ever going to happen?

Scarlett and Gunnar are mysteries to me. I can never like both of them at the same time - at first I liked Scarlett, and then she went squirrel overdrive and Gunnar became surprisingly rational, but then Gunnar got sucked into daddy-drama and Scarlett became sort of snarky fun. Now, they're both bugging the absolute shit out of me. 

I can't stand Rayna. I like Sadie a lot more than I do Rayna, even though she's obviously shady. 

A spin-off with Juliette, Emily, Glenn and Avery would be the absolute best thing ever as they are the only reasons I'm watching this show. I'm especially glad that Emily has managed to stick around despite being borderline invisible in the first season, and that her friendship with Juliette is being highlighted a bit more.

• Love 3

I haven't warmed up to the Micah character at all. But he sure is upbeat, resilient and extroverted for a young kid who gets moved again to a new city and eventually is foisted upon a stranger, father or not, while Mom disappears from his life out of state. Apparently a drum kit and funnel cake solve everything. :p

• Love 8

For a while I thought Deacon was too good for Rayna. But the man has, like, zero self-respect. I'm really sick of it. It stopped being romantic for me quite a while ago. Go to therapy. Maybe one day you'll be good enough for someone like Emily. Until then, all I want to see from him is cool Dad/cool uncle/cool ex lover/ etc. 

• Love 1

The Terry story line gets an F from me. So, so bad. My fear is that Terry is here to replace Zoe, the way Zoe replaced Coleman. Anyone see a pattern here? The biggest problem is that if they only want one "major" Black character on the show, they should have stuck with Coleman. I think Zoe had potential, but she was written poorly, and as someone already mentioned, the actress wasn't great. But she wasn't the only mediocre actor on the show, and she was pretty and had a lovely voice. The show did not do right by her and I hope the actress is off to find a show that treats her better. Sadly, we have to deal with Terry now.

If Zoe is gone her replacement is Terry (unless Juliet and Avery's baby comes out Black) because ABC is so very committed to diversity -- except that they never flesh out characters like Coleman, Zoe and now Terry. I was reported for being the first to call him the "Magical Negro" trope and apprehensive about bringing up whether he was Zoe's replacement.

• Love 2
I actually feel bad for Will, because I think Mr. Bourbon Stout Guy was attractive to him because of the openness he represented, rather than as just some random hookup, whether Will is prepared to admit it or not. I think this might actually mark the beginning of Will's inching out of the closet, but I've been wrong about the plot of this show before.

I hope they do something new with Will's story line.  If this is a step toward him realizing he needs out of the closet in order to have what he really wants - an authentic relationship - I hope they start moving the story a bit faster.  It's been 3 seasons now and Will is still miserable with no sign of doing anything to change anything for himself.

Speaking of dragging story lines, how long are they going to draw out the Micah story?   Are the writer really saying this is Gunnar's kid?  I've been waiting for some sign of a reveal that he isn't, but nothing.

• Love 3

I agree with KR Vermont that the Z and G parts of ZAG behaved unprofessionally in front of Agent Noel. It seems pretty fundamental to me (and I know nothing about the music industry) that you don't waste someone's time when he's come to hear you perform; you don't air your group dysfunction in front of someone who's about to offer you an opportunity, and (Gunnar) you don't decide you're not serious enough about your career to tour after Mr. Agent Man offers you a touring gig. Also, don't decide without notice to the others that you're (a) unilaterally refusing the touring opportunity or (b) quitting the band immediately before a gig.

Poor Avery; he's the only one not dumber than a ZAG of hammers. (... Sorry.)

• Love 4
Speaking of dragging story lines, how long are they going to draw out the Micah story?   Are the writer really saying this is Gunnar's kid?  I've been waiting for some sign of a reveal that he isn't, but nothing.

Gunnar seemed remarkably accepting of Micah's mother's explanation. How about a paternity test? I keep wondering what the long term plot implications are. If the sole purpose was to drive Zoe away so he could reunite with Scarlett...well, there may have been better ways to do that. Seems like its just more wheel-spinning for this show.

• Love 2

Bye Zoe, won't miss much about except your beautiful hair. Could you leave that for Scarlet please? She seriously needs some hair care.

I thought the band formerly known as ZAG was great. Too bad we won't hear them again because Gunner is an idiot. People with kids go on tour all the time, you aren't the first guy to be in a band and have a kid that may or may not even be yours.

Deacon, I have been holding out hope that Rayna and you finally get together, but now, I really want you to move on.

Seriously, is she really going to marry Luke??? Ugh.

When Jeff was playing guitar and he had that beautiful happy smile, my heart went pitter-pat. Then I hated myself for it.  Just like Layla is probably going to hate herself in the morning. Unless she just slept with him to further her career, which is most likely anyway. Although I did like her un-plugged song.

Juliette in disguise was so over the top, but also very funny. She and Avery are so cute together.

I didn't see Luke kids at the Christmas special?

• Love 4

I don't know if it was here or on NYMag site, but as someone else noted, Avery is about to be a first-time dad; he's not going on tour. Scarlett was "traumatized for life" during her last attempt to tour; she's not going anywhere either because she's not ready for that stress. Gunnar wants to provide some stability for his non-kid and can't go on the road. I'm okay with him making the call because he understands the people he's dealing with.

I loved stalker Juliette and she's really the only one who could have pulled that off. It added a few moments of much-needed levity to the episode. But, like another poster said, I need her and Avery to ultimately be together and happy with a healthy, happy baby.

• Love 3

Layla sounds like the love child of Brandi Carlile and Sharon Van Etten and it's a glorious thing.  All her songs have been terrific, particularly the folksy bent she's taken this season. I like her with Jeff, but I get distracted by how much Oliver Hudson has morphed into Steven Weber.  

The sooner Micah is revealed as Jason's bio-son, the better.  

ETA:

The worst thing Rayna's done might be allowing herself to be photographed like Miley Cyrus.  Ewww.

Edited by Lila82
  • Love 3

The series is out of their minds the way they wrote Rayna in this episode. She has fallen off the cliff, she was at one time a heart warming person, now a person with a cold, cold heart. Her constant calling Deacon to explain about the Rolling Stones article and then when she trys to tell him why she did it, it came off as a phoney excuse. As one poster posted "I can't with Rayna. I really cannot. She is terrible. She is terrible to Deacon, and she is terrible in general. I think I was suppose to feel bad that she's in over head in that final scene, when actually I wanted her to get caught up in those Christman Lights and get electrocuted."

IMO the writers have pushed Rayna so out of touch with the fans that know matter what she says and does the fans (at least me) will never like or trust her again.

• Love 4