Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E09: Two Sides To Every Story

hqtextbook

Luke and Rayna's "X-mas Special" (good Lord, everything about this couple makes me want to barf) was the fakest fake that ever faked in the history of fakery! A gruesomely charmless version of "Baby, It's Fake In Here." They don't even harmonize well. They're icky. Please make them stop.

I think all of that was intentional, right down to the "off" harmony. Luke and Rayna's  relationship is increasingly fake, plastic and 

out of harmony.

• Love 1

"Luke and Rayna's Xmas Special" (good lord, evrything about this couple makes me want to barf) was the fakest fake that ever faked in the history of fakery! A gruesomely Charmless version of "Baby, It's Fake in Here." They don't even harmonize well. They're icky. Please make them stop.

Thanks Sandman I counted 5 times you used fake in different forms of describing that scene and I loved it. The best part of your comment was "They're icky. PLEASE MAKE THEM STOP...I second that request PLEASE MAKE THEM STOP. Looking at Rayna after the lights went out even she knew it was all a fake.

• Love 2

I'll be the lone voice that likes ZAG better than SAG.  I like Scarlett and Gunnar just fine, but I really loved (season 2) ZAG's vibe.  That "I Ain't Leaving Without Your Love" song is the only song that I've been compelled to buy from this show (that and "Boys and Buses").

I prefer ZAG too! Chaley and Clare both have lovely voices, but I think Chaley's holds up better in harmony with the two guys than Clare does. Her voice is got a bit more power and belt. She blends but doesn't fade into the background. Clare and Sam blend but by adding Jonathan's voice she just doesn't stand out. I guess that's the point, but I really preferred the ZAG sound. If we get more SAG songs, I could be swayed but I'll miss ZAG. Its really a shame they just didn't have Scarlett join ZAG and be like Little Big Town. Chaley already had the hair.

• Love 3

I prefer ZAG too! Chaley and Clare both have lovely voices, but I think Chaley's holds up better in harmony with the two guys than Clare does. Her voice is got a bit more power and belt. She blends but doesn't fade into the background. Clare and Sam blend but by adding Jonathan's voice she just doesn't stand out. I guess that's the point, but I really preferred the ZAG sound. If we get more SAG songs, I could be swayed but I'll miss ZAG. Its really a shame they just didn't have Scarlett join ZAG and be like Little Big Town. Chaley already had the hair.

Wow, I'm sorry but for my money that is just factually incorrect. Zoey does harmonize better with both the boys while Scarlett doesn't harmonize well at all with Avery; however Gunnar blends perfectly with both S/A and that makes him the glue in that trio. But Zoey most definitely fades into the background, she sings more or less as a backup singer - if you listen to all Z/A/G songs,  they are very dominated by the male vocals - and Scarlett has way more punch and character to her voice. That is exactly why she doesn't blend so well with Avery who also has a lot of character.

Another point to be made is that Scarlett has a lot more power and expression in the high register than Zoey does which gives her more tools to stand out harmonically. The S/A/G coupling has far more potential than the Z/A/G did but it will be a bit harder to arrange them for the reasons I stated.

• Love 3

At this point, watching Luke and Rayna smooch makes me gag. So tired of her sighs and protestations. This romance can't end soon enough but Rayna's character may be irreparably damaged.

Maybe I've been married too long, but do people really kiss as much as they do? Kiss before she puts the girls to bed, kiss when she arrives back in the bedroom, kiss before the song, kiss when the song ends, kiss when the cameras are off two seconds later......Argh. Makes me gaggy as well.

• Love 4

Luke and Rayna's "X-mas Special" (good Lord, everything about this couple makes me want to barf) was the fakest fake that ever faked in the history of fakery! A gruesomely charmless version of "Baby, It's Fake In Here." They don't even harmonize well. They're icky. Please make them stop.

I will say that both Connie Britton and Will Chase are very good at fake bad acting.

• Love 4

Wow, I'm sorry but for my money that is just factually incorrect. Zoey does harmonize better with both the boys while Scarlett doesn't harmonize well at all with Avery; however Gunnar blends perfectly with both S/A and that makes him the glue in that trio. But Zoey most definitely fades into the background, she sings more or less as a backup singer - if you listen to all Z/A/G songs,  they are very dominated by the male vocals - and Scarlett has way more punch and character to her voice. That is exactly why she doesn't blend so well with Avery who also has a lot of character.

Another point to be made is that Scarlett has a lot more power and expression in the high register than Zoey does which gives her more tools to stand out harmonically. The S/A/G coupling has far more potential than the Z/A/G did but it will be a bit harder to arrange them for the reasons I stated.

I know jack about singing, but my first impression too was that ZAG sounded better than SAG--perhaps that's the explanation. I wish we had gotten more songs from ZAG and I would have loved more stories revolving around the band too. Oh well.

Scarlett singing with her two exes was the highlight of the episode for me. I loved Avery showing concern for her when she looked nervous on stage.

Poor Terry. I really hope he gets back on track. (We don't know him that well, but if the whole point of his tragic story was just that Scarlett should sing again ... I'll be pissed.)

Oh Layla. Well, at least one half of this couple is trying to move this story along. It's like Will is on a hamster wheel.

Are we to believe Jeff's heart grew three sizes? Although he did make sure to get Layla in bed by the end of the episode...

The Juliette stuff was shockingly boring.

What exactly was Rayna expecting? Although I was a little surprised Deacon didn't seem to care that she did it to protect Maddie from more bad publicity. Rayna should have warned Deacon a lot earlier.

Deacon should call up Pam. Just for fun.

Bye Zoey! I'll miss your pretty hair and voice. Too bad they never gave you an actual story. Or personality.

Edited by SlovakPrincess
  • Love 1

Poor Terry. I really hope he gets back on track. (We don't know him that well, but if the whole point of his tragic story was just that Scarlett should sing again ... I'll be pissed.)  

I'm afraid Terry is the latest "magical negro", the (usually tragic) black guy whose whole purpose is to get the main guy/gal's life back on track. There's a long history in movies and TV. I liked Terry, but I'm afraid we probably won't be seeing him again.

All of that, and s/a/g was way HOTTER. That was some chemistry I never saw with zoey. 

Well, yeah, Clare and Sam have kinda been smoking out the television set all since the pilot, so  ;)

• Love 1
No one chooses to be an addict, anymore that's an anyone chooses to have, cancer. At least with cancer there are treatments that.can be a cure. Not so with addiction. It's a lifelong battle that.can be devastating do both the addict and those who love them.

I dont agree that being an addict is similar to having cancer, there is an element of choice in addiction, you cannot choose to not have cancer. And yes, there are cancer treatments but they don't always work and can cause life-changing side effects. There are also treatments for addiction and they require hard work and determination and making a choice every day. You cannot choose every day for your cancer to go away. People can have a genetic predisposition to be an addict, but many people make the choice to live a different life.

I do like the character of Deacon, but he is no saint. He is often petulant and whiny and has only recently been trying to get his life and career back under control. Even so, he struggles with his temper and with his desire to have everything be his way, which is not realistic. 

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Love 2

No, Deacon, of course is no Saint. No one on the show is. I don't thnk Saints make for good drama :-)

I think one of the reasons people have liked the Deacon character is that he does battle his demons, and it is a battle; he strives to be the best person he can, and he's probably harder on himself than anyone else is.

I don't know what you mean about only recently trying to get his life and career under control? He was sober every day, for 13 years, until the brief relapse after learning about Maddie. And that wasn't about Maddie, it was about being lied to, all those sober years, by both Rayna, and a Man that he considered a dear friend, as well as his AAsponsor, Coleman. He was Rayna's band leader and best friend, all those years, his career seemed well under control.

I do like the Rayna/Deacon dynamic, and assuming she's honest with herself and dumps Luke, it should be interesting to see where it goes, and how his relationship with Maddie continues to develop.

• Love 3

I was really surprised to see all the people here who enjoyed the slapstick bits with the wheelchair.  I found it painful to watch and was embarassed for the show.  They have taken the most interesting character in the show and turned her into a cartoon.  The wheelchair may as well have been waterskis.

• Love 4
He was sober every day, for 13 years, until the brief relapse after learning about Maddie. And that wasn't about Maddie, it was about being lied to, all those sober years, by both Rayna, and a Man that he considered a dear friend, as well as his AAsponsor, Coleman. He was Rayna's band leader and best friend, all those years, his career seemed well under control.

This is a very simplified description.  Yes, Deacon was sober every day for 13 years, but there’s a lot more to that story.  I've been rewatching some of season 1 from the episode where he's fired from Rayna’s band after arguing with Teddy.  First he helps Jolene go to rehab and then sits up all night counting the 7 pills in the bottle she dropped before giving them  to Coleman.  Then he punches a guy who was heckling him a little at the Bluebird, went to jail and called Rayna to bail him out.  Rayna refused his call, and it was clear this had happened before.  Later Deacon gets a job with a band that doesn’t work out, both because the guy in the band was a jerk and but also because Deacon can't handle conflict in relationships.  So while he was sober, I think it’s safe to say Deacon still had problems that kept him from having a successful solo career and being in long-term relationships with anyone not named Rayna.

I also disagree Deacon's relapse was about the lie.  Though I haven’t seen those episodes in a while, Deacon says a lot of things both before and after the accident that indicate his relapse was more due to self-blame and self-hatred he still carried with him from his alcoholism.  I always thought Jolene’s death played into it as well, since as far as he knew she died of an overdose despite his efforts to help her.

• Love 2

Oh Layla. Well, at least one half of this couple is trying to move this story along. It's like Will is on a hamster wheel.

Are we to believe Jeff's heart grew three sizes? Although he did make sure to get Layla in bed by the end of the episode...

Not to mention that she is supposed to be 19 (or maybe 20 by now) and he is 40 if he's a day.  Plus he hires hookers on the regular.  So just ick all around.

• Love 2

Deacon gets a job with a band that doesn't work out, both because the guy in the band was a jerk and but also Deacon can't handle conflict in relationships.

First, in that so call conflict you stated was Deacon going after the jerk, was because he was trying to molest, rape Scarlett and Deacon just in time pushed himself past the guard who was guarding the room the jerk was in with Scarlett and punched him out and then said I quit taking Scarlett with him and going home.

I also disagree Deacon's relapse was about a lie.

Rayna kept Deacon from knowing that he had a daughter for 13 yrs, all those years he was sober. After the divorce from Teddy she started a sexual relationship with him still not telling him about his daughter, still keeping that lie from him. If it wasn't for Maddie finding the paternity test that said Teddy wasn't her father and coming to the conclusion that Deacon might be and going to see him and saying to him "I think you might be my father" shocking him beyond belief ever thinking it might be true. Going to Rayna the night of the CMA's asking her "Tell me that you haven't been lying to me every day for the past 13 yrs" tell me that wouldn't make any man hit the bottle. I'm not saying it was the right thing for him to do but he trusted her, loved her, never thought she could not tell him that he had a daughter. Just remember all those years she was married to Teddy (as Teddy once said to her, all those years we were married you had an emotional relationship with Deacon) she kept Deacon close as her band leader. Was it because she felt guilty about not telling him about Maddie which I think she did because she did tell him you saw her grow up or was it because she couldn't let him go she needed him by her side (IMO) as a back up guy. She once told Coleman when he finds out he will hate me. She couldn't let go of him, just like he couldn't let go of her.

I always thought Jolene's death played into it as well, since as far as he knew she died of an overdose despit his efforts to help her.

I'm sure he felt very sorry for Jolene but he knew that she committed suicide because she had just shot the man who wanted 10 million dollars from Juliette to keep that video he shot while they were having sex from going viral on youtube. She wanted to save her daughter from embarrasment, so she shot him and then knowing what the papers would do with that story took an overdose.

Deacon has (had) a lot of problems but he has shown he's become a better person since he found out he has a daughter. Maddie means more to him than he ever thought he could feel being a father. You can say what you want about Deacon, but he's come a long way on what he wants in his life and that's for him to be the best DAD to Maddie. Rayna hasn't come full circle yet, she still lying to herself about her feelings but I guess we will see just what she does of doesn't do about it.

• Love 1
I'm sure he felt very sorry for Jolene but he knew that she committed suicide because she had just shot the man who wanted 10 million dollars from Juliette to keep that video he shot while they were having sex from going viral on youtube. She wanted to save her daughter from embarrasment, so she shot him and then knowing what the papers would do with that story took an overdose.

But the only one who knew this was Juliette, and so far as we saw she hasn't told Deacon.  Everyone else thought it was a drug overdose/suicide thing.

Deacon has (had) a lot of problems but he has shown he's become a better person since he found out he has a daughter. Maddie means more to him than he ever thought he could feel being a father. You can say what you want about Deacon, but he's come a long way on what he wants in his life and that's for him to be the best DAD to Maddie.

I do like Deacon and think he has become a better person.  I just think he's ultimately caused a lot of his own problems, as have most of the characters, and making him seem like he's the victim makes it too simple.

Edited by shron17
  • Love 1

I always thought Jolene's death played into it as well, since as far as he knew she died of an overdose despit his efforts to help her.

I don't think it was Jolene's death per se, but more Juliette's reaction that had him back on his heels before the paternity reveal. Juliette laid into him when he came to the door after he heard the news, she blamed him, and yelled at him for sticking his nose in everybody else's business trying to be the good guy. He didn't drink after this, it was the fact that both Rayna and Coleman hid this secret from him that pushed him into that bar. I think he felt like he'd lost everyone he was close to at that point. Had I been in his shoes I would have been hittin' the sauce too, but then I'm not an alcoholic ;)

It's been well established that Deacon does have a problem dealing with his anger, though to be fair he's been pushed around a lot. Teddy and Lamar at the fundraiser, and the jerk who tried to assault Scarlett on the tour to name two examples. Especially in the last instance, that hit was deserved, though he should have just picked up his guitar and left the fundraiser. He's done pretty well this season, not lashing out when Luke came to hit him behind the Bluebird, and no killing of inanimate objects that I can recall. 

As far as his career and relationships, I don't think he had much interest in a solo career. He enjoyed playing some nights at the Bluebird, but he was Rayna's bandleader and collaborator first and foremost. I don't think he wanted anything else at the time. And relationship-wise, I think his heart has always been with Rayna. He may have actively dated other women, even gotten involved with them, but none of them were her. I don't think it had anything to do with his day-to-day management of his addiction (which staying up all night and turning the pills over to Coleman was), rather it was his inability to give his heart fully to anyone else that was the problem.

Edited: because spelling is gud!

Edited by Clemgo3165
  • Love 1

No one chooses to be an addict, anymore that's an anyone chooses to have, cancer. At least with cancer there are treatments that.can be a cure. Not so with addiction.

As someone who was married to an addict which was one of the major reason's leading to the divorce and who had a cancer - addict parallel thrown at me (as in "you wouldn't be divorcing him if he had cancer" ie, an addiction = an illness as serious as cancer).  His addiction was a choice and one he made over and over again.  Did he have bad coping skills?  Surely, but the default to substance abuse wasn't just when he had a bad day.  There may be a genetic predisposition to addiction and I get to talk to my children about that on a semi-regular basis because it may be something that can impact them in the future.  But having the cancer=addict parallel thrown at me lit me on fire.

One of the aspects of the show that I really like is how Deacon handles, sometimes struggles, with substance abuse.  From what I understand, just because you successfully completed rehab doesn't mean your "cured".  The temptation continues and it takes an ongoing commitment to stay sober.  The show's success in handling that is both due to the writing and Charles Esten's acting IMO.  Addiction is not Deacon's only problem - even without addiction he would probably be that guy who is a sweetheart 80 - 90% of the time, but when he blows a fuse, he blows it big.

• Love 2

Yes, Deacon has caused a lot of his own problems and I not trying to say he's a victum but ever since he's known about Maddie he's worked on getting himself better at dealing with problems. I go back in season 1, when Coleman told him when he was dating Stacy, stay with her (Rayna only messes with your mind). Stacy and him had a little spat, he said to Rayna "Just when I think I'm over you, I slip back." (Not the exact words) that's the time Rayna was going with Liam to St. Barts decided instead to go over to Deacon's house to tell him that "I love you, that's never not been true." "I love you."  Tell me she can't let him go. Even now, how many time has she looked at her phone to see if Deacon text her back when she was not only texting him but leaving phone messages for him to call her. I know it was about the RS article but she was so determinded that she even went over to his house, she just needs to see him and to make sure he's okay. (I don't mean drinking) It's like she needs to speak to him constantly, needs to know what he's thinking on certain things, but keep your distance because I'm engaged. Make up your fr--gin mind already. Down deep she knows without a doubt how much he loves her, and down deep inside she knows how much she loves him, that they are soul mates but she can't let go of him either.

• Love 1

I sure hated to see Zoey leave.  She was crazy to just leave like that. She should have done whatever she had to to perform that night. Work out the details later.  

I can't stand Gunnar, Avery or Scarlet.  Think about it.  The show has provided a lot of redemption for these characters, but I'm not feeling it.  They all are cruel in their own way.  Maybe fatherhood will change the guys, but Scarlet will be a weeping willow, woe is me, forever.

And I preferred Zoey, much more than Scarlet, in her singing and many other ways.   I really wanted them to find her a place on the show.  Oh well...maybe she'll make it big in CA.  

I don't think it was Jolene's death per se, but more Juliette's reaction that had him back on his heels before the paternity reveal. Juliette laid into him when he came to the door after he heard the news, she blamed him, and yelled at him for sticking his nose in everybody else's business trying to be the good guy. He didn't drink after this, it was the fact that both Rayna and Coleman hid this secret from him that pushed him into that bar.

I agree Juliette's reaction must have made Deacon stop and question his own hold on sobriety.  Part of what she said was "I tried to tell you but you had to drag me through it again. I knew she would never stay clean."  Even so, I think the apparent fact that she overdosed after he tried to help her had to have a huge affect on Deacon as well.  He got Jolene into rehab by sharing his own experiences and told Juliette he was no different than her mom.  It's not so unlikely that her overdose would make him question his own sobriety, at least enough so that when he found out about Maddie he went to a bar instead of calling Coleman.  And I might be wrong, but I thought he had every intention of going to the meeting like he told Coleman he would until Juliette called.  It had to be hard to promise to go to Juliette's service for her mom at the Bluebird and to risk seeing Rayna, so he drank some more.  One last thing, if you listen really close at the very beginning of the flashback right before the accident happens you can hear Deacon shout "I don't believe in the program okay--It didn't work for Jolene and it certainly didn't work for me--this is who I am!"

Yes, Deacon has caused a lot of his own problems and I not trying to say he's a victum but ever since he's known about Maddie he's worked on getting himself better at dealing with problems.

I do understand where you're coming from.  I think the difference is, as much as I loved some of the things Deacon said when he proposed, I really hate the way he did it.  Rayna had just accepted Luke's proposal and never indicated she didn't want to or couldn't move on from Deacon.  When she made her declaration to him in the first season, he brought it up first and she went and said her piece and then turned to go when he didn't respond.  And she did overreact this episode when he said his piece about loving her, but it could have been because of the tough spot he put her in when he proposed and when she answered him.  Yes, she still has feelings for him but there's no law that she can't move on with someone else.  People can love each other and still not be able to make it work in the long term.  Now, I know this isn't going to be the case and I will (hopefully) be as happy as anyone here when they finally work it out.  But until then, I will defend Rayna and/or Deacon's right to move on with someone else without the other person trying to convince her or him that they belong together.

Sharon17 - She was standing on stage in front of 50, 60 or was it 70 thousand people, did he give her a choice to say let me think about it, NO he cornered her on stage with the 500 ft plus screen behind him, got down on one knee and proposed, please give me a break that was a man who was determined to make sure she couldn't say NO, he's a weasel. Why didn't he ask her first in private and if she had said Yes then make that big proposal but he didn't.

Deacon went over and told her how he felt and gave her the choice. Private, intimate, no pressure in front of strangers, just a loving proposal.

• Love 2

The way that Luke proposed doesn't excuse what Deacon did--Rayna was in a relationship with Luke, not Deacon.  Luke had recently told Rayna he was very serious about her but wasn't sure she felt the same way and  she assured him she was.  He also said  on stage to  tell him if it was no and he could wrap his head around that too.  I'm not a fan of the public proposal either, but it was Rayna who said yes, and Rayna who thought over both proposals and stuck with yes to Luke.  This makes it sound like she's incapable of making up her own mind.  Last year she told Deacon she couldn't try with him again, that they both needed to save themselves and she's stuck by that.  Deacon did too, until the lawyer cheated on him.  I don't have a problem with Deacon going there  but he should have been respectful of the fact that she just told another man she would marry him, said his piece and told her to call him if she wanted to talk. 

I don't have a problem with Deacon going there  but he should have been respectful of the fact that she just told another man she would marry him, said his piece and told her to call him if she wanted to talk.

I absolutely agree with this. To show real growth in Deacon and in his relationship with Rayna, he should have told her the truth, which is something more like..."I love you. I believe you're still in love with me. I get why you're scared of that and why you want to move on, but please don't lock yourself up in another marriage before we sort this out." He could also have given her back her ring, not as a proposal but because it's hers and he loves her. That's all fine. If she didn't want it, either of them could have held on to it for Maddie. That's mature, evolved, responsible, respectful, and honest. But see...this show has devolved into a BS soap opera. They don't seem to do mature, evolved, responsible, respectful, and honest anymore. It's very sad for me, but I think it's true. They have types instead, and Deacon's "type" is lovesick Romeo with no pride. I HATE that type. (I also hate lovesick Juliet with no pride, just FYI.) So even though we all wish they'd write this relationship differently and more creatively, they aren't going to. And I think we are supposed to think that Deacon's proposal was super honest and romantic and mature. (I don't think it was, though it was hot and steamy for sure.) Plus, I mean, it's not like anyone really thinks this thing with Luke is an actual love triangle. It's obviously just a matter of time until Rayna leaves him (or he leaves her...I'm still holding out hope for that little twist). So Deacon's proposal clearly seems to be the one we're meant to fall for.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 2

She was standing next to Sadie's manager dude when SAG (how horrible would it be if they changed their name to that?) were playing. It's entirely possible it wasn't her and the producers were just trying to mess with us (and Oliver Hudson) and I fell for it hook, line and sinker. 

Seriously though, I'm guessing she was visiting her brother on set and stayed for filming.

So it was probably Kate Hudson. Cool.

I think in Deacon's proposal, there was an element of, "What will we regret most, at the end of our lives, the things we did, or the things we didn't even try"?

I suspect, he was remembering losing her once, in marriage, to another man. Then he was in no position to offer an alternative. This time he felt he was, and went for it.

A better option might have been to wait a couple of days and go and talk to her, but, he knew she had been surprised by that proposal. Maybe, he felt if he waited, what he said wouldn't have the same impact.

Good idea or not, it sure was sexy!

• Love 2
They don't seem to do mature, evolved, responsible, respectful, and honest anymore. It's very sad for me, but I think it's true. They have types instead, and Deacon's "type" is lovesick Romeo with no pride.

Well, I could be wrong but I really think that's what they're working towards.  Deacon's been shown since the beginning to be impulsive, hot-headed and stubborn, and these things have probably contributed to the unhealthy patterns in their relationship along with Rayna's less desirable attributes. I wouldn't call him a lovesick Romeo but I do think he feels a kind of desperation about being with Rayna, even when they were together in season 1.  Maybe aside from the bond they've always had it represents a type of redemption for him?  The part of what Deacon said when he proposed that I liked the most was when he said he'd tried to move on but realized he was just lying to himself and he didn't want to do that any more. That definitely shows growth and honesty, he just needs to accept that he has to let Rayna find her own truth.

I think that both Rayna and Deacon come across as badly affected by messed up childhoods which is maybe partly why they are drawn to each other. They could show them making sensible relationship choices which probably wouldn't be each other but that wouldn't make for good TV. If they put them back together there would be potential for lots of compelling drama as clearly both have issues to work through. The problem is that I am not sure the writers are good enough to do this well.

I was going to suggest that each of R and D have already tried sensible partners but then I remembered that Teddy appears to be conservative but was an embezzler (not to mention his more recent misdemeanours), Luke is a pathological fame whore and Megan had sex with Teddy. So maybe Deacon should have stuck it out with the vet.

• Love 1

MasterS  - Agree with your post except the last sentence. Maybe if Rayna hadn't gone to him that night he might have worked it out with Stacy but even she knew that Deacon's heart was with Rayna. She did go back and tried to talk to him about it but he had already gone back to Rayna. And we know how that all turned out...

I'm with you on the writers, they have so much potential drama but I don't think that they are good enought to take it on and do it well. I don't know if it's Callie, Dee or whoever has the authority to set up a full season of episodes of, who get killed, who gets pregnant, who gets married, but these last two seasons they were all over the place. Somebody needs to go back and review what they have written see what mistakes they made and try to get this series back on track. (IMO)

• Love 1

MasterS  - Agree with your post except the last sentence. Maybe if Rayna hadn't gone to him that night he might have worked it out with Stacy but even she knew that Deacon's heart was with Rayna. She did go back and tried to talk to him about it but he had already gone back to Rayna. And we know how that all turned out...

Joking about the vet - obviously that would have made for very dull and frustrating TV and Deacon belongs with Rayna, however messed up they both are. Fingers x'ed the writers get it right this time.

Oh, God, show. The speedy exit of Zoe and the "magical Negro" all to push Scarlett back on stage? Layla and Jeff? Ugh. The age difference was creepy enough with Will especially with the character rewrite they did after her evil pageant girl/reality show wannabe introduction. I would buy devious Layla hooking up with Jeff but this is all kinds of wrong. Will chasing everything in pants? Not putting Avery and Juliette back together already!?! 

Go home, Nashville. You're drunk.

• Love 1