Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E09: Two Sides To Every Story

hqtextbook

I actually like Rayna's shorter hair, it seems more controlled.  I can't stand Luke though, he's always in the shadows pouting about something (usually Deacon).  Does he not realize that even if/when he and Rayna get married (please no) Deacon will still be in the picture?  Ugh.  He's just icky mustache twirling villain, enough.

IMO the writers have pushed Rayna so out of touch with the fans that know matter what she says and does the fans (at least me) will never like or trust her again.

I'm willing to make a deal with the writers of this show: If they fix Rayna and turn her back into the cool, sassy, conflicted-about-her-life, decent human being she was in season one and most of season two, I will forget this trek into famewhore/asshole/"I have no soul" territory. We don't need a dream or any explanation whatsoever. I'm willing to pretend that all of the first half of this season never happened. Just frakkin CHANGE HER BACK. (Or kill her off Pig Blood Peggy-style. I'm also willing to follow the Juliet/Avery/Emily/Sadie Stone hour, even if I have no idea what the point of Sadie Stone is.)

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 5

I wasn't that interested in Terry's story line, but I like the idea of Scarlett as a manager. 

I just have a hard time seeing Scarlett manage anything apart from her own wardrobe, but then I remember that she's actually been pretty good to her relatives, so...

Jeff was actually not a jerk for once.  Who knew he had that in him?  

The writers love the redemption storylines, you know.

Well if the goal was to make the audience hate Rayna, they've succeeded with this viewer.

They've always written Rayna as an asshole and then they expect the viewers to like her anyway just because she's supposedly such a "strong woman". The issue here isn't the audience hating Rayna, the issue is the writers hating the audience, and men in general for that matter.

I liked Scarlet performing with the band, but someone really needs to help her with her, er, dancing? spontaneous movements?

I actually think she's extremely cute on stage and she has some mindblowing charisma.

I just want to burn all of Scarlett's clothes. I just want to set her entire closet on fire. Throw the wig in too.

*cough*... You do know that's not really a wig, though? :-D

Scarlett's gaunt face is distracting but seeing her back performing in the trio is the only time I enjoy her.

It seems almost everyone, including those who don't like the character, agrees with this. Scarlett happy on stage beats Scarlett moping around on the verge of a psychotic breakdown every day.

Clare Bowen rocked the scene on stage with Gunnar and Avery.  She was luminous!  Scarlett is so talented, she just had to get over her fears.

And I will be glad for Zoey to be gone.  She adds nothing and is in the way of Scarlett and Gunnar.

Co-signed, and co-signed. Though you know they will put other obstacles in the way of them, because according to Nashville's unwritten golden rule, no two characters who are truly in love may ever be happy together.

I thought they were ready to have a threesome on the stage with Scarlet. They all had such great chemistry.

Sheesh, I'd pay good money for that ;-D

For me, the show has a very different feel lately. It's the short scenes, which allow for more time with all the characters, and it's the zany moments that don't seem to fit with the Nashville I remember. And, again, I have to point out all the "y'all"s and twangs that seem to be coming from everyone's mouth that didn't seem to be there before. I think Gunnar and Scarlett always had an "accent", but it feels like everyone else is trying too hard.

That's because neither of them are even American so they've had to learn the Southern accent since the start of the show thus they have had more time to practice on it than anyone else, plus they have both got a very good ear for voices.

• Love 2

I think Jonathan Jackson and Sam Palladio are probably good friends and clearly just love singing together, and with Clare Bowen, and it shows.

They are, and Chaley is Sam's girlfriend in real life, which I guess should make things even better - but Sam and Clare are just so damn good at selling their love story on stage, it can hardly be beat by anything.

Or kill her off Pig Blood Peggy-style.

Is that an option?

I'm also willing to follow the Juliet/Avery/Emily/Sadie Stone hour, even if I have no idea what the point of Sadie Stone is.)

Still can't figure it out.  She drops in every once in a while to drop some cryptic shit about her life and then disappears for weeks. 

Edited by rachel1496
  • Love 1

IMO the writers have pushed Rayna so out of touch with the fans that know matter what she says and does the fans (at least me) will never like or trust her again.

She's going to have to apologize. I mean, really, really, REALLY apologize for everything she's done. I know the writers have to realize that she never says she's sorry (at least I HOPE they realize this). You can't expect empathy for a character who has no humility. 

I do think that she was good with the girls when Daphne burned her hand. That's really the only positive thing I can say.

Count me among those who don't think she even likes Luke. When he was talking about being the next Johnny and June, her response was just like, "yeah, whatever." But she did turn that mess on for the cameras! I think her life has become this huge act and for whatever reason, she is committed to seeing this out. 

I tried to extrapolate on the fact that she DID call Deacon numerous times to explain (and she DID go over to his house) as some sort of indication that she still cares/is still in love with him, but the problem is that I'm tired of coming up with explanations for her. 

Deacon. Stop, dude. Come on. You can love someone until you're just stupid with it and that's where he is right now. Stuck on stupid. Somebody (not Pam) slap some sense into him, please.

• Love 3

She's going to have to apologize. I mean, really, really, REALLY apologize for everything she's done. I know the writers have to realize that she never says she's sorry (at least I HOPE they realize this). You can't expect empathy for a character who has no humility. 

I would bet you a lot of money this will never ever happen.

Oh, and isn't amazing how she manages to turn another half-hearted apology into condescending patronizing?

Edited by Telepath
  • Love 6

Someone on the previous page noted that Rayna's hair and make-up person should be fired. I agree that she looked terrible in last night's episode but I assumed it was done purposely for the Christmas special. I think they were trying to show just how much make-up she needed for the show, just the way she explained to Deacon all those trees and decorations were for the show because it looked better on camera.

Also, it looks like Zoe is gone for good. I just checked Chaley Rose's Twiiter and she wrote: Left my @Nashville_ABC family but joined the United Talent Agency family yesterday! #GoodbyeZoey #OneDoorCloses #UTA #LetsGo

I just hope for the charity's sake that Ruke are still a couple until the Christmas special gets to air. It would sure suck for them if Ruke split before Christmas and their chance to reach donors is lost.

Since the Micah introduction I keep on waiting for someone to reference the very similar Deacon/Maddie situation. You'd think that Gunnar might have a range of complicated emotions about discovering he has a 9 year old son that his ex never told him about. And having a close acquaintance who only last year discovered he has a teenage daughter that his ex never told him was his, would actually be helpful for Gunnar.

• Love 2

Yeah, I don't think it's going to happen either. I think the show's position is that she's doing her best and finding her way, not that she's been soulless, hypocritical, and outright mean.

Don't forget to add that anyone who disagrees with that notion must obviously be a male chauvinist pig or a brainwashed, confused little girl.

I want to smack Gunnar upside the head and then attack his ridiculous hair with scissors, but damn if he, Avery, and Scarlett weren't absolutely enthusiastically adorable last night while singing. I didn't even like the song (and usually I love whatever they sing, either alone in combination) but they were just so darn cute!

Wow. I thought this episode hit a new low in making me care even less about these characters.

I'm concerned that Nashville is dangerously close to jumping the shark, as they say. The characters I liked and cared about initially (Rayna, Deacon, Gunner, and others) have been put through ridiculous plot devices which are destined to make them look bad. And with no consistency or character arc that makes you think they actually learned something from a previous experience. (As in Gunner, seriously, you don't think you should try just a little harder to research this kid's background-- maybe his blood type or DNA? Just look at him. He doesn't have your hair or features or anything.)

They bring to mind Roger Ebert's comments about "idiot plots"-- the only way you can believe what is happening is to assume everyone is an idiot. Like Rayna not bothering to tell Deacon about the Rolling Stone interview right after it happened. And the aforementioned Gunner.

If each of these characters just had IQ's that were about 20 points higher we might get interesting story lines and interesting character twists instead of plot devices that are telegraphed months ahead-- the coming "outing" of Will; the meltdown of Rayna and Luke--- and please don't tell me (based on the quick previews last night) that, once again, Deacon will hit the bottle due to Rayna. And again, the revealing of the true origins of Gunner's "son."

Do the writers really hate the characters that much? Because there are some really good actors on this show-- Connie, Chip, Hayden, Claire, etc. I think they are giving it their all. Do the writers think so little of their viewers? Because from what I can tell from reading everyone's posts on this site, some very smart people watch this show. So are they deliberately trying to turn off the remaining fans? Maybe they want off the show. Or maybe they've just run out of ideas. Lazy, lazy writing.

But it's brain and eye candy and I will be watching next week. And continuing to enjoy this blog and everyone's posts.  Oh and was it just me (I'm kind of old...) or did the SGA trio look a lot like a throwback to Peter, Paul & Mary-- all crowded around that single mic. :)

Edited by MadeleineElster
  • Love 10

How many times can this series beat a guy down before they give him back his self respect as the person we all know he is. Deacon Claybourne is a gentle man, has a big heart, helps anyone who asks him for help, is there for his friends, takes care of family, Maddie and Scarlett and has been working hard to make himself a better person.

Loved Juliette's little stalker scenes that's what we miss the little comedy that we use to see in some episodes in season 1,2 also the Deacon and Avery one. Those little sketches were fun to watch and it made us feel good to see them.

Yeah, I don't think it's going to happen either. I think the show's position is that she's doing her best and finding her way, not that she's been soulless, hypocritical, and outright mean.

Knowing her father Lamar in season 1, I would have to say that is a perfect description of what kind of a man he was. If that's the position of the show is that she trying to find her way, alright find it already, because us fans are sick and tired of seeing you in every episode with a happy face for the cameras and sad face when they are turned off. Example, last scene in episode #9, last scene when she chose LW, went to the party, smiled showing off her ring and then sad face before the scene ends. Series make up your mind, stop changing her character in every episode, pick one and stick with it.

• Love 1

Oh, and isn't amazing how she manages to turn another half-hearted apology into condescending patronizing?

So glad to see this moment brought up. She went to Deacon's to apologize and ended up insulting him again. Run, Deacon, run.

Edited by Ellaria Sand
  • Love 2

Juliette disguised as Truman Capote in order to follow Avery was made of win.  If this show is cancelled, I'd totally watch a spinoff of Juliette and Emily opening a private detective agency.

I laughed so hard I had a coughing fit.  At first she struck me as a senior citizen, then that unfortunate woman who's face was chewed off by a chimpanzee.

I actually liked Layla with Jeff and vice versa, they both seemed more real than they ever have before. Felt a bit badly for Will, taking coffee into her only to find that she hadn't been home. I think he's grown to genuinely care about her, even if he isn't in love with her.

I strangely liked Layla and Jeff together too, but I don't trust him.  Oliver's only 38, but he looks older and seems too old for her.  Layla's done a lot of growing up, and I feel a little affection for her now.  I love her voice.

My sympathy for Will decreases each time he assaults a disinterested male.  He asked the bartender how he lives openly gay.  Does he really not see a difference in their jobs?

Could not be more delighted that Zoey's gone.  How she thinks she will make it in LA when she couldn't in Nashville is a mystery.  Wonder who was taking care of the little snot rag while Sag was performing.

So not interested in Deacon falling off the wagon again.  He was sober for so long, and now has relapsed twice (or will it be thrice?).  He's crossed into pathetic in my eyes, and he's only alone because he pushes the good women in his life away.  I think Rayna has finally stopped with the push me, pull me act.  She's laid it on the line, and he's acting like a juvenile.

I'm understanding Rayna a little better as the years go by.  She's learned to settle for good because her life is more stable and her kids are safer that way.  That means men who love her and whom she cares for.  Of course she's got crazy chemistry with Deacon, but the turbulence of that relationship is harder, and maybe she isn't an adrenaline junkie.

When did Maddie get so tall?

Edited to spoiler tag preview info.

Edited by RedheadZombie
  • Love 7

Juliette is awesome. Loved her and Emily and Avery, and the SAG song from this episode. And the fact that Zoey's gone.  So enjoyed the SAG trio- because you could see just how much they love the music and singing/playing together. To me, the songs where multiple characters perform are the best musical moments on the show.

Rayna and Luke are sucking any life out of their scenes/this show. They both look tired. What's happened to Rayna? It's like Invasion of the Body Snatchers III.

Like others have posted, questioning the purpose of Sadie (other than it's the actress/singer LB who's great)- but am thinking that she and Juliette will become musical rivals despite being on the same label. Once Juliette has the baby (and show, don't kill that baby) and gets over all those hormones, you just know that sassy ambitious Juliette will re-emerge and she'll be totally focused on getting back to the top... Sadie will likely be in the way. 

Deacon- snap out of it! Rayna doesn't deserve you- hell, she doesn't deserve Luke.

My love continues for Javery. JJ and HP are adorable together, and JJ can do so much with those eyes of his. They better have Avery tell our girl he loves her and can't be without her or am gonna be seriously ticked. And that scene better be more than the 30-45 seconds which is what they usually have in their scenes as opposed to Ruke which often seem like 2 or 3 minutes (or hours).

Hoping in the second half of the season that we get more songs from Gunnar, Scarlett, Avery, and Juliette. Seems like they've had fewer thus far in S3.

Oliver Hudson is only 38?  Wow. Is the Ruke wedding supposed to be in this next show or in the show after the winter break?

• Love 3

Wow. I thought this episode hit a new low in making me care even less about these characters.

I'm concerned that Nashville is dangerously close to jumping the shark, as they say. [...]

They bring to mind Roger Ebert's comments about "idiot plots"-- the only way you can believe what is happening is to assume everyone is an idiot. Like Rayna not bothering to tell Deacon about the Rolling Stone interview right after it happened. And the aforementioned Gunner.

If each of these characters just had IQ's that were about 20 points higher we might get interesting story lines and interesting character twists instead of plot devices that are telegraphed months ahead-- the coming "outing" of Will; the meltdown of Rayna and Luke--- and please don't tell me (based on the quick previews last night) that, once again, Deacon will hit the bottle due to Rayna. And again, the revealing of the true origins of Gunner's "son."

First of all, the show jumped the shark, as I've mentioned before, right after Season 1 Episode 13, when they had both Scarlett and Gunnar perform a 180 and go completely OOC in order to create synthetic drama. That's when the show clearly decided that sappy soap writing was preferrable to consistent writing and characters actually doing what made the show a success in the first place, i.e. performing. Breaking up the best sounding duet on the show in such a contrived way and never relenting in putting one unbelievable roadblock after another in the way of their relationship, thus ensuring they could hardly occupy the same room together let alone sing, was absolutely unforgivable.

Second and when it comes to predictable storytelling, all my respect for the writers of this show vanished when I successfully predicted and spoiled an entire storyline in detail, well in advance, with no inside information. See this:

So in the tradition of Nashville storytelling I will now do my best to spoil the entire S/G storyline for the remainder of the show.

Step 1. Zoey is eliminated via Baby Contrivance #3 in the form of Kiley/Micah. Kiley is then eliminated via Mistaken Case Of Father Identity #2.

Step 2. As a result Scarlett and Gunnar are parked in the Friend Zone for People Who Dated Each Others' Besties but become BFFs and start writing music together again.

Step 3. The show introduces a new romantic interest for Scarlett in the form of Regular Guy With No Background In The Music Industry (hereby referred to as "Gunnar Distraction #3" or "Teddy Wannabe #1".) He may be a male nurse that Scarlett meets during her stay at the hospital taking tests for Deacon's liver transplant, loosely modelled after Peter Petrelli in "Heroes".

Step 4. Scarlett pursues the relationship and confides in Gunnar who is playing the Cyrano character being secretely jealous while insisting everything is fine.

Step 5. Gunnar Distraction #3 turns into Zoey Copycat #1 getting paranoid over Scarlett and Gunnar's songwriting connection and eventually calling her on it. Scarlett, in an angst-filled epiphany, realizes her true feelings do not lie with Teddy Wannabe #1 but with Gunnar, and breaks up.

Step 6. Gunnar and Scarlett marry and the series is cancelled.

I wonder if I called it?

And this:

http://tvline.com/2014/11/11/nashville-season-3-spoilers-new-doctor-juliette-avery/

Oliver Hudson is only 38?  Wow. Is the Ruke wedding supposed to be in this next show or in the show after the winter break?

I want to say next week, but can't swear to it. Maybe next week he's left standing at the alter and we don't learn why until after the winter break?

My thoughts on this episode are pretty brief:

Juliette and Avery continue to remain the most adorable things that ever adorabled and I feel like if their future baby takes after them in even the slightness percentage that it may destroy the universe with its cuteness.

As much as I liked Zoey singing with the boys (the only time I liked her, actually), I think that the Band Formerly Known as ZAG sound great together. And Clare Bowen looked genuinely happy performing, which considering how much of a sad sack Scarlett can be, was a welcome change.

AND Kate Hudson played a glorified extra. Phenomenal.  

• Love 2

Still don't hate Rayna, but find Luke to have the personality of a used car salesman. Rayna is trying to have what she thinks is a safe family life for her kids. And as much as I love Deacon, no one is obligated to be with someone or love someone just because the person wants it. I'm sure as Rayna becomes more and more sick of Luke, she will come around to finding true love with Deacon.

Loved seeing Claire and Sam sing again-they were wonderful. I don't care much for the guy who Scarlett is trying to save and agree with him that she should save herself first. Also, want Micah's mom to come and get him. He doesn't look like Gunnar at all (not that he would have to), and Gunnar can't seem to move forward now.

For the first time, I found Jeff oddly hot. SInce I don't trust him or Layla though, I don't know what is going to come out of their being sex buddies. I don't trust Sadie either, so now its four people I don't like or trust and thats too many.

• Love 5

And for him to have the absolute gall to call HER selfish? Dude, that's not her kid. It's not selfish that she doesn't want to give up her dreams and aspirations just because you have a kid now. If YOU want to be a responsible parent, then why were you constantly foisting various childrearing situations onto Zoe even when Kiley was still in town? Pick your own kid up from school! Find his shoes for him. Watch him yourself when you're at an awards show. I couldn't believe he yelled at her for being selfish and then had the nerve to be shocked that she wasn't going to stick around to sing with him.

I see both sides of this situation, and it was poorly written.  Every time Gunnar has asked Zoe to do something, she's been unemployed and laying on the bed doing nothing.  For a real conflict, it would have been better if he asked her to quit her job, and simply stop working.  He's busy, Zoe isn't, she's basically living off of him and in his house - help out with the kid.  I would feel exactly the same if it was Zoe's kid and she expected an unemployed Gunnar to help her with childcare.  It also would have helped if Zoe hadn't given a stink eye to the kid the first time she laid eyes on him.  She resented he was Gunnar's child, and that set the tone.  As dimwitted as Gunnar can be, she knows how desperate he is for family, and she never really supported him in the father role.

Juliette still carries the show, even when she provides some uncharacteristic slapstick comedy.  It was so silly, but I laughed anyway.   Maybe the heaviness of her plot line just needed a tiny bit of lightening up.   Comic relief can be a good thing.   Whoever's writing Rayna's story should realize that before the viewing audience irreparably hates her.

I've always watched this show for Juliette.  And as much as it seems she's never allowed to "win", I think that's what makes her so rootable.  She's a handful and she can be a raging bitch, so it's the constant slapping down and bouncing back that I find likeable.  She's a survivor.  I want more Juliette in general, but especially with Avery and Glen.  I guess it's always possible they've reduced scenes due to HP's pregnancy.

I really hated Rayna season one.  I thought they wrote her as too perfect, and I resented the way she treated Juliette.  As viewers have slowly turned on Rayna, I'm shocked to find myself really liking her.  She's so far from perfect now, but that's why I like her.  She's made so many mistakes, but I love her nurturing scenes with her girls, past scenes with Scarlett, and the way she now treats Juliette.  CB always shines in those scenes, as well as those with Tansy.  They should up those scenes, IMO, and decrease the Rayna/Luke scenes. 

I love Connie Britton, but she needs to fire hair, makeup AND lighting for what they did to her last night....whoof. Rough.

I've thought this for a long time.  I watched CB on AHS, and she was beautiful and sexy.  Here, they dress her in a way that gives her a boxy frame and flat butt.  She always seems in need of a better supporting bra, and her shiny blue eye shadow is horrific.  And I'm not shading CB's body, mine is very similar.

Honestly, at the moment I don't see Luke and Rayna as wrong for each other. I don't want to WATCH them, but as far as I can tell they're both workaholic famewhores with a constant need for the spotlight while patting themselves on the back for how great they are. They are perfect for each other... Just bad for my television set.

I'm going to agree with you.  To add to an earlier post, I think Rayna may be following the old adage - choose the one who loves you more than you love them.  That's a power imbalance that she had for years with Teddy, and seemed to be comfortable with it.  I do think that Luke loves her more than she loves him, and as long as he reins in the controlling attitude and treats her and her girls well, I think she's fine with him.  I can understand why he appeals to her.  He will never have the ability to hurt her as much as Deacon does, because she simply doesn't love him as deeply.  They also don't carry all the baggage of Rayna/Deacon.

• Love 3

I've thought this for a long time.  I watched CB on AHS, and she was beautiful and sexy.  Here, they dress her in a way that gives her a boxy frame and flat butt.  She always seems in need of a better supporting bra, and her shiny blue eye shadow is horrific.  And I'm not shading CB's body, mine is very similar.

My issue was with that scene at the Christmas tree where they've got her in red lipstick and she just looks....old. [i'm old, so I can say that]. The lighting was horrible. 

She needs to take a page from Cybill Shepherd in the Moonlighting days. (specifically that hilarious episode where she greets Rona Barrett and camera crew at the door, with a nylon stocking in front of her face)

• Love 1

I thought I was the only one who finds Oliver Hudson looking more and more like Steven Weber. It's like they've formed some sort of Smarmy Dude Collective ("We are the Uurggh; we will add your oleaginous distinctiveness to our collective.")

• Love 5

I really thought that, after he ran out, Terry over-emphasized his going-back-to-drink act in order to get Scarlett to not only get off his back, but to go and do what she was meant to do -- sing herself.  He gave a look over the bottle as she left that to me showed that he was sober and calculating.

Pretty soon, Scarlett's Rapunzel hair will grow so long that she will not need to wear granny clothes and can go out nekkid.  She looks very bohemian.

• Love 5

My issue was with that scene at the Christmas tree where they've got her in red lipstick and she just looks....old. [i'm old, so I can say that]. The lighting was horrible. 

I am also old, and I know that it's a big mistake to wear dark lipstick. Those more natural/pink shades that Rayna normally wears are so much more flattering. I can only assume it was heavy handed symbolism i.e. the situation she's in is awful and so she looks awful too. Her clothes for the TV thing were mostly terrible.

That being said, one of the things I really like about Connie Britton is that she looks the age she is, appears to be ageing naturally and still looks amazing. Respect for that. It is also partly why I am still watching this mess although I feel I should stop. It used to be that it was a show with occasional awesome parts which meant I could endure the bad parts. Not so much any more - there's much less awesome.

Anyway, in this episode I mostly liked the Juliette parts (as always), the Scarlett/homeless man story (didn't expect to but I did) and the SAG performance. The music was better this week.

Don't care about Gunner and his paternity issues, Zoe (bye bye) or Jeff/Layla. Or Will being the most non-clued up person ever about relationships.

I can't even talk about what they've done to Deacon and Rayna. She's written as though she doesn't even like him. He needs to move on, she's dead right.

• Love 2

I'm going to be the Cranky Contrarian here. Ready? Here we go...

I like Luke. At least I did when he and Rayna first got together. I thought the show had (and still has) a great opportunity to tell the ups and downs of combining two families and two high-powered careers in the same industry. Instead, they're making Luke all weird and Caveman over Rayna. Bring back the Luke that was sexy, secure, and self-assured. He didn't need to do anything underhanded to get Deacon out of the way. He was his own best weapon. Which brings me to...

Deacon. Oh goodness. I know he and Rayna are supossed to be the Great Star-Crossed Lovers of Nashville, but really. They had a moment when they were crazy teenagers, and then Rayna grew up. It doesn't seem Deacon has matured at all beyond that point. He's been nursing this great love for Rayna for all these years. Dude, move on already. Although I don't like the idea of hiding a man's child from him, Rayna was faced with the choice of raising her baby with a spolied, immature, self-destructive drug addict/alcoholic. Any wonder she chose to marry Teddy instead? And Deacon's still that guy. Rayna still loves him, but I can't blame any woman for deciding that he is not a good choice for a life partner. 

I hate to see Zoe go, but I feel her character was given a bad time. I can't imagine anyone in her position- ambitious 20-something trying to get a career going- who would easily give it up to be a sudden stepmother to a 9-year old. And let's face it- both Gunnar and his ex (sorry, I forgot her name) were taking advantage of her. And Gunnar was making it clear that wasn't likely to change. So painful as it was, it was time for Zoe to move on. I just wish they could have parted on better terms. 

Pleeeeese let Avery and Juliette find their way back to each other in time for their baby's birth. Those two have had the most character growth in the show, and they're just plain good for each other. And I love Glenn and Emily, who have become her surrogate family. 

• Love 6

That being said, one of the things I really like about Connie Britton is that she looks the age she is, appears to be ageing naturally and still looks amazing. Respect for that. 

Oh I am so with you here. I love that she usually looks her age AND gorgeous. Maybe you're right and it was intentional, but I'm not so sure.

• Love 3

AND Kate Hudson played a glorified extra. Phenomenal.  

Seconding the question: Was Kate Hudson in the episode? I ask because I thought I saw a flash of someone who looked like Kate Hudson, but didn't think of it again until I read your post. Now I'm curious if I imagined it.

Rayna and deacon didn't have a moment when they were crazy teenagers, they had an 11 year relationship. Then, Rayna went out of her way to keep him in her life, and have an emotional affair with him, during her marriage to Teddy.

No Deacon was in no place to be a Husband and Father, when Maddie was conceived, but lying to Deacon, everyday, while he was her best friend, confidant, and Band Leader, making him Uncle Deacon, for 13 sober years, that isn't just wrong, it's a huge betrayal!

Deacon isn't the only one who hasn't moved on. When Deacon was in a happy, stable relationship, with Stacey, he confessed he was still struggling with his feelings for Rayna. Did she encourage him to let go of the past and embrace this new chance?. No, she turned up on his door, confessing her love that had always been there, and became his lover, again, without telling him about their child.

I think Deacon had grown a great deal, I also think he's honest enough, with himself, to lay it all out there and admit, in spite of everything he still loves Rayna, and would try again with her. Is that healthy and wise? Maybe not, but, is it healthy and wise to hide in another relationship, when you know, if you'll let yourself be honest, that your heart is still with someone else? I don't think so.

Rayna and Luke are such different people, they have such different values, I can't imagine it ever working. And the actors lack of chemistry, for me, anyway, had always made it an impossible sell.

Maybe I'm a hopeless romantic, but, one of these days, I'd love to see Rayna and Deacon, give their relationship,a real try!

Edited by pattycat
  • Love 6

Seconding the question: Was Kate Hudson in the episode? I ask because I thought I saw a flash of someone who looked like Kate Hudson, but didn't think of it again until I read your post. Now I'm curious if I imagined it.

I am curious as well, if she appeared, was it at the music festival?  And if so, why wasn't there any publicity about it?

Pattaycat --  Thank you for your post it's everything I have just written down but your words were put together so much better than mine. Put me on that list of being a hopeless romantic because I am one. This show started out by giving us all hope that Deacon/Rayna were soul mates, in love with each other for years, but then they pulled the rug out from under us and gave us this big mess. I only hope they can fix it and get Nashville back to what it was in Season 1. There were problems but the writing was so much better and then there was the amazing music, bring all of that back soon....

I think Deacon had grown a great deal, I also think he's honest enough, with himself, to lay it all out there and admit, in spite of everything he still loves Rayna, and would try again with her. Is that healthy and wise? Maybe not, but, is it healthy and wise to hide in another relationship, when you know, if you'll let yourself be honest, that your heart is still with someone else? I don't think so.

It's always better to be honest, and I think that if Rayna acted like she even liked Deacon at all or gave him any indication that she still cared for him, I might be on board, but she doesn't. She treats him like an irritant, which is fine...maybe he is an irritant to her at this point. Maybe the fact that she can't get over him bugs the crap out of her and we all have to suffer for it. But at some point, Deacon needs to be honest with and show some pride in himself and say, "You know what? She doesn't want me. Yes, I still love her and need to figure out a way to sort that out, but I also need to recognize my own self-worth and start letting this go and moving forward with my life." At this point, the Rayna/Deacon relationship is so incredibly unhealthy and ugly that I can't root for it at all. Rayna just sold him out to a national magazine, just another rotten thing she's done to him on a list that's now very long, and after a momentary sane, angry response, he basically just shrugged and said, "whatevs. I love you." All this woman does is hurt him, and all he does is let her do it and shrug it off. I don't find that romantic at all; I find it depressing. The pattern they're in together is so deeply unhealthy that I can't overlook it as TV anymore, and I really don't want them together, though I'm sure that at some eleventh hour they will be. If this were a better show and the writing were even remotely creative, I'd say it could be incredibly interesting to watch them claw their way back to some kind of healthy relationship, but because this is a lousy show and the writing is bad, I'm pretty sure they'll fall into each other again in some melodramatic fashion with Rayna as a flawless human being and Deacon as her lapdog. Ew.

• Love 2

Hi pattycat,

I suppose I should clarify what I meant when I said that Deacon and Rayna had a moment as crazy teenagers. I realize in reading my post that it sounds like I'm saying they hooked up under the bleachers at the senior prom. I meant that they were together at a young and irresponsible time in their lives. In fact, I'm not sure it's ever been expressly stated, but I always had the impression that at some level, let's just say that Deacon wasn't drinking and drugging alone during those years. and that Rayna mostly cleaned up her act when she got pregnant. And realizing that Deacon wasn't there yet, she chose Teddy.

Once again, I've never doubted that Rayna still loves Deacon. And I think she went back in Deacon's direction after her marriage tanked because of that. But ultimately, Deacon self-destructed again (!) And again. And, oh look at the previews from next week! Scarlett's found him passed out on the floor AGAIN. Unless he's out cold because Luke came over and hit him, in which case, I take back the snark, because that wouldn't be Deacon's fault. We'll know next week.

Rayna's relationship with Luke seems doomed to fail. I get it. But that doesn't make Deacon any better a match. He's a hot mess. Rayna can date him if she must, but do not tie your life to that train wreck!

Sorry, one more example of Deacon's recklessness. When Rayna told him that the Rolling Stone situation came up because the reporter caught Maddy and Luke's son kissing, Deacon's first response was to turn to start charging out the door. Where was he going? To beat up somebody? Who? Two teens, same age, caught kissing. Completely consensual. Embarassing, yes, but that's it. Deal with that later, Deacon. You asked Rayna for an explanation, remember? Rayna did what she thought was necessary to save the teens from an embarrassing spotlight in RS mag. I do agree with most of you, however, that she should have told Deacon as soon as that interview was over. Letting him be blindsided wasn't cool. 

Edited by TVForever
  • Love 2

Zoey could've shined in the performance in the hopes of getting Noel's attention to the point she could go solo, knowing that ZAG likely didn't have a future with Gunnar's fumbling--unless she worked in private to change his mind about touring while holding ground on not being Micah's nanny (or G's girlfriend). Instead, she walked away not having sung a note and deciding on the fly to move to L.A.

I'm also hoping that we find out later that somehow she got signed with the Noel offscreen.  Maybe her last scene could have been her meeting with Noel during the montage where we saw that Jeff and Layla in bed together, Will alone with the coffee, etc. At least it would have wrapped up her story a little better- a happy ending for Zoey.

This was an ok episode, but come on, show, give us something to talk about. Nothing is really happening. We're just getting the same stagnant storylines staying the same. Seriously how long are they going to drag out juliette/avery. 

I did like SAG a lot better than ZAG. Scarlett really can sing!! And the 3 of them were HOT together. I wish Avery and Juliette would make more music.

First of all, I'm going to go out on a limb, and say I don't think that Deacon drank, in that preview. In think we're going to find our, that he's seriously ill. Of course,i suppose it could be that he relapses, is taken to the hospital, and that's when he finds out he is ill. I hope not.

I don't think of Deacon as train wreck. I think he had shown himself to be a good, decent man, who loves deeply, and is incredibly loyal. Who is always trying to be the best person he.can. He also, suffers with alcoholism. No one chooses to be an addict, anymore that's an anyone chooses to have, cancer. At least with cancer there are treatments that.can be a cure. Not so with addiction. It's a lifelong battle that.can be devastating do both the addict and those who love them.

To the best of my memory, Deacon has relapsed, Once, since the show began, and that was after a little secret was revealed, that both the woman he loved and trusted, and his,AA sponsor and friend had kept from him.

I don't get any feeling that Deacon was angry with the kids, after Rayna told him. I think he was terribly hurt and angry with Rayna and just wanted out of there.

And who wouldn't be! I think he handled it a whole lot better than many people would have. Suddenly, with zero warning, your personal life, is splashed on the front cover of an international magazine, circulation millions!. And why did that happen? Rayna wanted the self promotion and exposed her family to scrutiny.

I like Rayna, I really do. But her lack of owning her own actions and mistakes, gets maddening!

Edited by pattycat
  • Love 7

It's becoming increasingly difficult to watch Luke try to get Rayna to love him. In some respect, Luke is worse than Deacon. He's also been pining for Rayna for years. He's been bitter about Deacon and Rayna's relationship for years. At least Deacon has a past relationship as a basis for his feelings. Rayna was just Luke's dream girl, and now he's bitter because she's not perfect, and she can't just erase her past and be head over heels for him.

Rayna's reaction to Deacon's "I love you" was way over the top. He wasn't asking to get back with her. He wasn't asking her to do anything. He was merely stating a fact. He does love her. Even if he "moved on," he would still love her. You don't just stop loving someone, even if you can't be with them. That person will always mean something to you.  I think she lashed out because she knows her heart hasn't moved on either.

I'm disturbed by the fact the both Layla and Juliette have slept with Jeff after he was so incredibly nasty to them. I realize that with Juliette it was hate sex, but what's Layla's reasoning? He hasn't said one kind word to her before today, and he tried to ruin her career. So now he pays her a compliment and plays the guitar, and all is forgiven?

• Love 4

I'm disturbed by the fact the both Layla and Juliette have slept with Jeff after he was so incredibly nasty to them. I realize that with Juliette it was hate sex, but what's Layla's reasoning? He hasn't said one kind word to her before today, and he tried to ruin her career. So now he pays her a compliment and plays the guitar, and all is forgiven?

It makes perfect sense since they are both sort of assholes that the writers now try to show as human beings (redemption soap meme #1.) Luke didn't actively try to ruin Layla's career, he just saw that she was tanking and decided not to support her. Layla on the other hand actively tried to ruin both Scarlett's and Juliette's career and was blackmailing Jeff into spending money on her.

Edited by Telepath
  • Love 1

I am curious as well, if she appeared, was it at the music festival?  And if so, why wasn't there any publicity about it?

She was standing next to Sadie's manager dude when SAG (how horrible would it be if they changed their name to that?) were playing. It's entirely possible it wasn't her and the producers were just trying to mess with us (and Oliver Hudson) and I fell for it hook, line and sinker. 

Seriously though, I'm guessing she was visiting her brother on set and stayed for filming.

She was standing next to Sadie's manager dude when SAG (how horrible would it be if they changed their name to that?) were playing. It's entirely possible it wasn't her and the producers were just trying to mess with us (and Oliver Hudson) and I fell for it hook, line and sinker. 

Seriously though, I'm guessing she was visiting her brother on set and stayed for filming.

The SAG band name will be revealed in 3x15, apparently.

I really liked this episode.  I'm very sick of Reacon, but the rest of the show was great.  To wit:

1. Juliette and Avery.  Normally slapstick humor on TV leaves me cold, but the stalking-and-being-busted scenes were quite funny.  Juliette looked like R2D2 with a scarf.  I'm quite worried about that baby however.  One of the show's main plot lines has been Juliette hooking up with various inappropriate or nearly-appropriate men.  The Law of PrimeTime TV says that after she's a mother, she can't do that stuff any more.  I just don't see her and Avery and a healthy baby together next year.  Though I do wish for it, show!

2. Layla full-on redemption arc and Jeff possible redemption arc.  I love what they're doing with Layla (and I loved her beanie boho look!)  She's gone through a lot of development, and even her worst reactions have been somewhat understandable given her circumstances.  I like it that she and Will have become friends and allies.  And NiceJeff!  What?!  I hope it works out for these two and that he doesn't do something sleazy to her.

3.  SAG performing together.  That was pretty damn good.  

4.  Zoey's new life, and the actress's.  I agree with those who wanted a happier ending for Zoey, like showing her on tour. But good for the actress to move on to a better part.  

What was NOT GREAT:

Luke and Rayna sing "Baby It's Cold Outside" for their new album "A Very Rapey Christmas"! Seriously, do no Nashville network execs read the internet?

Thank you John!  I couldn't believe my ears when they started singing that.  

• Love 2

I'll be the lone voice that likes ZAG better than SAG.  I like Scarlett and Gunnar just fine, but I really loved (season 2) ZAG's vibe.  That "I Ain't Leaving Without Your Love" song is the only song that I've been compelled to buy from this show (that and "Boys and Buses").

Rayna's reaction to Deacon's "I love you" was way over the top. He wasn't asking to get back with her. He wasn't asking her to do anything. He was merely stating a fact. He does love her. Even if he "moved on," he would still love her. You don't just stop loving someone, even if you can't be with them. That person will always mean something to you.  I think she lashed out because she knows her heart hasn't moved on either.

Correct. It's a classic case of heart vs. head. Rayna's head is with marrying Luke, but heart is with Deacon, and she doesn't want to acknowledge that.

• Love 1