Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 31 (2014-2015)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Although I did laugh out loud when Snidely answered, "What is a uterus?" since Jeopardy doesn't duplicate answers, especially not within the span of a couple of days. Although since he's a man, I figure he doesn't know what a uterus is. (See previous posts re: this subject.

I got a hearty chuckle out of this.  Alex asked Snidely if learning the new foreign language helped him with women.  If he had that unfortunate facial hair, it sure didn't.  But who knows what tastes are like abroad. 

• Love 3
I was rooting for the guy in the middle. He was cute and showed a personality

Same here, seemed like a real cool dude.

But if he couldn't win at least the champ won, thank goodness.  I'm loving the hysterical reactions to his facial hair.

• Love 1

Alex Jacob Twitter followers: 4,061.

Snidely Whiplash Twitter followers: 128.

I call unfair comparison. Alex had to have had some poker followers.

I was rooting for the woman writer from Hamtramck, MI (since I live in metro-Detroit) even after she missed the "Red" Army question which is important locally since a group of the Soviet hockey squad became Detroit Red Wings and I was screaming at my tv "get a question, prevent the runaway".  But she didn't hear me for some reason.

• Love 6

I'm not even a sports fan and I got FJ. I know the Chicago Cubs mainly as a punchline.

I wasn't rooting against "Snidely Whiplash," but I was happy the game wasn't another runaway. I don't see Andrew having a particularly long run, but he's pleasant to look at.

• Love 2

I lived in Oneida Hall for two years in college and once when I called to renew my Entertainment Weekly the customer service agent read my address back to me as "229 Oneeda Hall" and it occurred to me that names that I grew up with may not be as obvious to people who aren't from here (you should hear the way I've heard Onondaga pronounced). So I held my breath at how Oneida was going to be said, but I'll give Snidely credit.

I knew Jane Goodall was not going to be the answer to that one clue and I should have known Fossey.

I blurted out Chicago Bears but knew it would never be that obvious and came up with the Cubbies just at the time limit.

• Love 1

For once I knew the answer immediately as I'm a Cubs fan even though I don't live there anymore. Just wondering about the mascot's name though. Is he named Clark because Wrigley Field is near Clark St. Or is he named after Clark Griswold, a fictional character (National Lampoon) supposedly from the Chicago area who just can't seem to catch a break.

• Love 2

Am I crazy because I still love her, or was there a clue about Clark the mascot during Julia's run? I swear she had a Cubs FJ that was awesome because she lives there.

For once I knew the answer immediately as I'm a Cubs fan even though I don't live there anymore. Just wondering about the mascot's name though. Is he named Clark because Wrigley Field is near Clark St. Or is he named after Clark Griswold, a fictional character (National Lampoon) supposedly from the Chicago area who just can't seem to catch a break.

Wikipedia says its for the street.

Ding dong, Douchestache is gone!  (Yeah, I know I said I wasn't going to watch, but it's such an ingrained habit.)  I did pretty well overall, but did not get the FJ, not even close.  I got stuck on Da Bears, even though I knew that couldn't be the right answer, and never thought of baseball at all.  So apparently Mascots is not a good category for me.  (Now, if the answer had been "Gunnersaurus Rex" . . .)

• Love 2
(edited)

At the end of yesterday's show, I found myself clapping along with audience members. Then I went back to work and was so cheerful, I wondered what had happened to put me in such a good mood. Then I remembered the end of Snidely. I knew I did not like him but I didn't realize to what extent. Wow.

When I first saw FJ, I thought no way did I know that. Then a total and complete DUH! came over me. Of COURSE it was Chicago Cubs since Wrigleyville is at Clark and Addison. Then it became a no-brainer. But I do understand it being a TS since if you had never been to Wrigley Field or followed the Cubs (I've both been to games and used to listen to them on the radio until WGN radio lost the contract), there's no way one would know what street the field is on. Like no way would I know what street Fenway is on.

I was thinking that the person with the Cubs avatar here would have easily gotten that answer. Where are you?

I agree the new champ might not last long, but I'm okay either way. I'm just looking forward to the new game today.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3

But I do understand it being a TS since if you had never been to Wrigley Field or followed the Cubs (I've both been to games and used to listen to them on the radio until WGN radio lost the contract), there's no way one would know what street the field is on. Like no way would I know what street Fenway is on.

This would be the case for me.  But I stupidly didn't even consider that MLB teams have mascots, despite having been raised an Orioles fan and knowing about the Oriole Bird (who may or may not have a name).  Had I considered that, the Cubs having a bear mascot might've occurred to me in time.  D'oh!

(edited)

I'm guessing ChicagoCita got FJ today.

Why, yes.  Yes, I did.  ;-)

Given that Jeopardy is on at 3:30pm here (right about the time the Cubs game ended), there wasn't a darn thing I could think of to say that wouldn't be considered a spoiler.

The Chicago paper had a little bit of fun with it.

And for the record, the Cubs don't need a mascot.  They need some good players.

ETA:  I thought it was a well-written clue, since it referenced "100 years" -- the distinction (shame? horror? embarrassment?) that most people know about the Cubs is that they haven't won a World Series in over 100 years.  It was a clever way to slip it in, referencing the longevity of the franchise, which is actually closer to 150 years (founded in 1870).

Edited by ChicagoCita
  • Love 7

Snidely's answer was somewhat understandable - the Bruins mascot is a bear and we're an Original Six team (91 years old) - but Andrew's answer was mind-bogglingly out of left field.

I'm sure he was thinking Lewis and Clark = Oregon.

• Love 1
(edited)

I thought it was a well-written clue, since it referenced "100 years"

One thing about Jeopardy, each answer is packed with clues and each word means something. But then again, one had to know how long the poor Cubbies have been in existence. Once I figured it out, it WAS a perfectly written answer.

And for the record, the Cubs don't need a mascot.  They need some good players.

This is too funny, although maybe a bit sad at the same time.

ETA: In the news today is a story about China uncovering more Terra Cotta Warriors. That DD still irks in its "easiness."

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2
(edited)
But then again, one had to know how long the poor Cubbies have been in existence.

I admit some bias, but long enough that my great-grandfather used to go to games prior to WWI.

I promise I won't turn this into a Cubs forum, but it's a nifty bit of trivia and people here do appreciate trivia:

The Cubs (then called the White Stockings) were founded in 1870.  Their first president was named William Hulbert, who founded the National League with eight teams (including teams that are now in the American League, like Cleveland and Boston).  He is buried in Graceland Cemetery, less than a half mile from Wrigley Field (on Clark!) and has a monument near his grave that is shaped like a baseball and has the original eight team names carved into it.  I was there with out-of-town guests one summer while the Cubs were playing a game and you could hear the cheering from the stadium when two players hit consecutive home runs.  I consider it a perfect site for him to rest in eternity.

Also, the cemetery is right down the street from the Steve Goodman Post Office, named for the man who wrote Go Cubs Go and A Dying Cubs Fan's Last Request.

Edited by ChicagoCita
  • Love 4

And for the record, the Cubs don't need a mascot.  They need some good players.

As a lifelong Phillies fan, I feel your pain. We have an awesome mascot. At this point I'd trade him for a player who isn't an AARP member.

I got FJ right away, although I had no idea what street Wrigley Field was on and know very little about the Cubbies. The mascot being a bear and the team being 100 years old made it easy for me. I could see how a non-baseball fan may have had trouble with it.

I am usually really sensitive to annoying players, but the champ doesn't bother me in the least. He picks clues quickly and doesn't hop all over the board. I know the mustache isn't popular, and I'm not a fan of it either, but his gameplay doesn't bother me. 

• Love 2

GREAT post, ChicagoCita. I wouldn't be surprised if some of what you told us appears down the road on the Jeopardy board. In which case, that category will be NBs ("No Brainers") for us here. So, thanks!

• Love 1

I am usually really sensitive to annoying players, but the champ doesn't bother me in the least. He picks clues quickly and doesn't hop all over the board. I know the mustache isn't popular, and I'm not a fan of it either, but his gameplay doesn't bother me.

He and his 'stache didn't bother me either.  I thought the mustache was more Poirot-esque than Snidely-like.  And while I am usually behind fellow Canadians 100%, Andrew's swaying back and forth was fairly annoying and made me just a little seasick.

• Love 2

I admit some bias, but long enough that my great-grandfather used to go to games prior to WWI.

I promise I won't turn this into a Cubs forum, but it's a nifty bit of trivia and people here do appreciate trivia:

The Cubs (then called the White Stockings) were founded in 1870.  Their first president was named William Hulbert, who founded the National League with eight teams (including teams that are now in the American League, like Cleveland and Boston).  He is buried in Graceland Cemetery, less than a half mile from Wrigley Field (on Clark!) and has a monument near his grave that is shaped like a baseball and has the original eight team names carved into it.  I was there with out-of-town guests one summer while the Cubs were playing a game and you could hear the cheering from the stadium when two players hit consecutive home runs.  I consider it a perfect site for him to rest in eternity.

Also, the cemetery is right down the street from the Steve Goodman Post Office, named for the man who wrote Go Cubs Go and A Dying Cubs Fan's Last Request.

Up next, the history of billy goats and Steve Bartman.

• Love 3

Swaying is the one contestant quirk that consistently bothers me. I get nauseated watching it. But I feel bad about my sensitivity, as I think it usually just means the person has back pain, or they're nervous. It's not a moral failing.

I used to live in Chicago, not far from Wrigley Field. I spent quite a bit of time in the neighborhood, and OF COURSE Clark Street and a bear-related mascot make sense. It was a well-written clue. I didn't even think of the Cubs, though, because I also linked "Clark" to "Lewis and" -- which shows I know more about history than sports, I guess.

But this conversation made me want to ask what categories you all would like to see on the show. I've been thinking about it a lot, ever since reading an article about how the show is written (it was linked upthread somewhere, I think). I thought it would be fun to think of clues, but it's actually a lot harder than I anticipated, especially when you need to think of more than one to make a category.

• Love 1

I LOL'd  when Louis did an "Oh, SNAP!" after his DD. And before that, when Alex T. backed off, almost afraid of Louis's enthusiastic description of Jane Fonda. Loved that. What an entertaining contestant. I was hoping to see more of him.

Yeah, the camera was having a hard time keeping Andrew (is that his name?) in frame, so had to back off to a long shot.

Here's an interesting article written by Rebecca, who was just on this week.

http://www.bustle.com/articles/81553-i-lost-on-jeopardy-but-i-finally-beat-my-fear-of-being-called-fat

• Love 5

I LOL'd  when Louis did an "Oh, SNAP!" after his DD. And before that, when Alex T. backed off, almost afraid of Louis's enthusiastic description of Jane Fonda. Loved that. What an entertaining contestant. I was hoping to see more of him.

It was like celeb jeopardy started early with Billy Eichner.

• Love 2
(edited)
I LOL'd  when Louis did an "Oh, SNAP!" after his DD.

Me too.  I heard it (was working on my laptop), looked up, didn't see anything that would have explained the noise, rewound, and laughed hysterically that it was followed by a Sneer of Victory. It was certainly the most "macho" OH SNAP I've ever seen.

When he did it during the intro, I thought I would hate him, but ended up quite disappointed he won't be back. Well-dressed, smart, and worships Jane Fonda.  A fun contestant.

Here's an interesting article written by Rebecca, who was just on this week.  

http://www.bustle.co...eing-called-fat

Wait.  She lost 300 pounds?  It was an interesting article, but I had to keep going back.  She lost 300 pounds?!  Did they cover that in the interview, which I usually FF though?

Edited by ChicagoCita
  • Love 3

See, as soon as I saw that, he was dead to me.  I didn't care if Andrew or Mary won.  Anyone but Louis.  (And for the record, Louis is one of the few names that I love so much, I'd name a human child either Louis or Louise.)  He wasn't darling enough (IMHO) to pull off both a quirky love of Jane (I hate her Vietnam stance but can get down with Jazzercise.) and trying to be a Wayans brother.

• Love 5

Thank you, Andrew, for yet again saving me from a contestant I could hardly stand to watch. Louis was insufferable to me. I much preferred Mary, the mild mannered biker lady.

Good enjoyable game.

My friend laughed at me when I yelled out the correct FJ answer. I had the last laugh. ;-)

• Love 6

Louis' answer of Auschwitz was just weird.

Something about the clue made me think Auschwitz for some reason, even though it didn't make sense that a Nazi spy would be executed there and the date also didn't make sense. So although I knew Auschwitz was definitely wrong, it still popped into my head upon reading the clue :P

• Love 1

Reading that article about Rebecca made me think about my own experience on the show. Maybe because I was in my 40's that I went into it hoping I would win, but I knew that a lot of things would have had to go my way for it to happen. After the show, I was just glad I had the experience because fewer people win than lose. It's probably the most exciting thing that ever happened to me.

• Love 6
(edited)

I missed last night's game, but I quite enjoyed tonight's -- it was so well balanced, with the contestants all having a fairly broad base of knowledge and heading into FJ with similar dollar amounts.

The Tower of London popped into my head quickly for FJ, and while I couldn't specifically remember learning that during my visit there, it made sense given the clue, so I stuck with it.

I guess the snap is Luis' signature move, because he did it in his intro, too.  That was a pretty fierce one for the DD victory.  I skip the interviews, so I didn't hear what he said about Jane Fonda, but I admire her, so he gets bonus points for liking her.  But I liked all three contestants.  (It's pretty rare for me to be bothered by one, but they're largely non-entities to me as I'm just watching to quiz myself; the combination of these three, though, I found enjoyable.)

Edited by Bastet
(edited)

Thank god Louis lost, as I'm sure he would have had a heart attack on stage had he won a few games. What a hyper, "need-to-win-badly" vibe he seemed to be giving off!

ETA: Just read his Twitter page: He's quite the lad! LOL

Edited by just prin
  • Love 3
(edited)

And for the record, the Cubs don't need a mascot.  They need some good players.

ETA:  I thought it was a well-written clue, since it referenced "100 years" -- ...

Maybe a black cat mascot would help the Cubs. Hey, it worked in 1969 right? Seriously, though, the clue was way too easy. Ain't too many teams around with a 100 year drought.

Edited by Tabasco Cat
  • Love 1

Maybe a black cat mascot would help the Cubs. Hey, it worked in 1969 right? Seriously, though, the clue was way too easy. Ain't too many teams around with a 100 year drought.

No drought was mentioned:

MASCOTS

For the first time in almost 100 years, this pro team has an official mascot, a bear named Clark

I LOL'd  when Louis did an "Oh, SNAP!" after his DD. And before that, when Alex T. backed off, almost afraid of Louis's enthusiastic description of Jane Fonda. Loved that. What an entertaining contestant. I was hoping to see more of him.

It's funny how something can strike different people different ways, because THIS just made me pray he wouldn't win the game.  Admittedly, his voice and his hair had already bugged me to the point where I didn't want to see any more of him, but still.

I thought FJ was easy but I could probably name just about everyone killed at the Tower.

I'm rather embarrassed to have missed it.  I said Alcatraz.

• Love 3

I'm rather embarrassed to have missed it. I said Alcatraz.

As did I. However, I am not embarrassed by it because I was certain I was correct! Ha ha! 

Alex Jacob's Twitter account has some hilarious retweets, including this gem: "Just as @louisvirtel 's snap told the world he was out and proud, @whoisalexjacob 's ill-fitting shirts shouted out "not gay."

And this one: "Alex Trebek just called contestants that select categories out of order on Jeopardy "Dickweeds" on @sternshow"

Mr. Jacob is looking for audio of Trebek saying that so he can use it for his ringtone.

• Love 2
(edited)

When I first saw Louis I thought for a split second Celeb J! had started and a young Morrissey was playing.

I knew it wasn't him when after three answers he didn't walk off the stage in a tizzy, never to return. 

Edited by suedehead
  • Love 1