Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 31 (2014-2015)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I can't believe they kept running a banner across my Jeopardy! today announcing a press conference to announce that a college basketball coach is retiring in three years. Three separate times! And with a loud bussing sound that cut over the sound of Alex reading while the banner blocked the visual of the clues.

On Final, I said that Vladimir guy--who wrote the stuff you should think is Russian but is actually French. What's his name? So I can't count that as right, although I was at least thinking of the right guy. Just not his name.

I thought the Animal Titles category was going to be animals with titles in their names, like kingfisher. And then I was trying to think of other animals that have titles in their names. And then it was something entirely different!

Edited by Ailianna

I came up with Vladimir Nabokov because there aren't that many foreign-born authors who have written in English.

I'm irrationally pleased that sourpuss Andrea is gone. Yes, she smiled at the end of the show yesterday and at the beginning of today's, but the rest of the time she looked as though she just ate a bagful of lemons. I don't look for a long run by Gina, but she's pleasant enough.

• Love 4

I can't believe they kept running a banner across my Jeopardy! today announcing a press conference to announce that a college basketball coach is retiring in three years. Three separate times! And with a loud bussing sound that cut over the sound of Alex reading while the banner blocked the visual of the clues.

Ooh another Central New Yorker in the house?

I kept my promise and I've been immersed in hoops since noon, but from what I am reading here the chances of me getting FJ are the same as if *I* were to shoot a three to win the game and beat a 3 seed.

• Love 2

Ooh another Central New Yorker in the house?

I kept my promise and I've been immersed in hoops since noon, but from what I am reading here the chances of me getting FJ are the same as if *I* were to shoot a three to win the game and beat a 3 seed.

The 3 lost twice today, so I would give you a shot.

• Love 1

Interesting; Andrea didn't bother me at all, and Gina is the one who stood out to me for sounding bored about half the time.

I'm just glad to have finally caught an episode for the first time in a week or two.

I can't believe time-lapse [photography] was a triple stumper!

I didn't know FJ by anything presented in the clue, so I just concentrated on the letters of the character name; Nabakov came to me pretty quickly (I think the V and K jumped out), but then I couldn't remember his first name.  Going back over the letters and realizing there was another V made my brain kick in.

• Love 2

I had no idea for FJ. I tried to concentrate on the V's in the name, but that didn't get me far.

I thought the $2000 DD clue was too easy -- Christopher Marlowe -- but apparently not since Gina didn't know it.

I can't remember what the thing is that Brandon has where he can wiggle his eyes, but it wasn't very noticeable to me. I'll always remember Brooke Adams doing that in Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

• Love 2

I had no idea for FJ. I tried to concentrate on the V's in the name, but that didn't get me far.

I thought the $2000 DD clue was too easy -- Christopher Marlowe -- but apparently not since Gina didn't know it.

I can't remember what the thing is that Brandon has where he can wiggle his eyes, but it wasn't very noticeable to me. I'll always remember Brooke Adams doing that in Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

I thought of Ben Jonson rather than Marlowe.

I also thought Brandon's eye-wiggling was pretty feeble. Does anyone remember Alan Sues from Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In? He could roll his eyes in opposite directions simultaneously. He was a one trick pony, but it was a memorable trick!

• Love 2

Yesterday I totally blanked on Handel. I got Bach immediately and then the only other person I could even think of was Tellemann. Sad.

I think the eye thing is "controlled nystigmus." It doesn't look like much, but I tried to do it with my eyes and...yeah, it's a special talent. My eyes were like: WTF do you want from us? Stop!!

• Love 1

Controlled nystagmus.  Some folks have uncontrolled - Pruitt Taylor Vince (LaRoche on The Mentalist) and Frank Langella have it.  I think they both work pretty hard at keeping it as controlled as possible. Wikipedia says a drug for it is being developed and looks promising.  Pets can have it, too.

I got caught up last night. From Wedenesday's show, I totally whiffed it on FJ--I said Beethoven and Brahms! But, I redeemed myself on Thursday's ep, even though when I saw the category for FJ I despaired because my brain does not do well with anagrams. But, after reading the clue, I ended up concentrating on the year, 1955, and went with Nabakov. Only then did I go back and look at the character name and realized it would work with the two Vs in it.

• Love 1

Me too Sharpie. I'm not good with anagrams either so I just thought of foreign authors from the 50's with controversial books. I was thrilled I came up with the name and they didn't, although the returning champ struck me as good with words so I was surprised she missed it.

ETA: I couldn't recall time-lapse or Marlowe even though both were on the tip of my tongue. I knew it was someone name Christopher but Wren was all that I could remember and I knew he was an architect therefore incorrect. The other just wouldn't gel in my mush brain.

Edited by HelenBaby
  • Love 1

Controlled nystagmus.  Some folks have uncontrolled - Pruitt Taylor Vince (LaRoche on The Mentalist) and Frank Langella have it.  I think they both work pretty hard at keeping it as controlled as possible.

Interesting. I can't say I've noticed it with them. Reading this reminds me that flautist James Galway has it too.

... my brain does not do well with anagrams. But, after reading the clue, I ended up concentrating on the year, 1955, and went with Nabakov. Only then did I go back and look at the character name and realized it would work with the two Vs in it.

I'm impressed at the steps you took to work it out. I guess there were a few little hints in the clue to work with.

I'm not good with anagrams either so I just thought of foreign authors from the 50's with controversial books.

Was something about it being controversial in the clue?

ETA: I couldn't recall time-lapse or Marlowe even though both were on the tip of my tongue.

Time-lapse was the TS that I got. Too many times I have something on the tip of my tongue, but that one came out pretty easily.

• Love 1

I wonder if a misspelling would have been ruled incorrect for that FJ - Vladimir "Nabakov" would not fit the clue, right? Just idle curiosity since no one got it anyway. I'm generally good with anagrams, but I had a second of panic when I looked at that one - my brain just screamed "ahhh, so many letters!" but then Nabokov fell into place.

As for Marlowe, he was in Shakespeare in Love. I know that movie is a long time ago, but having actually had a pop culture reference for him made it easier.

Edited by Etta Place
I wonder if a misspelling would have been ruled incorrect for that FJ - Vladimir "Nabakov" would not fit the clue, right? Just idle curiosity since no one got it anyway. I'm generally good with anagrams, but I had a second of panic when I looked at that one - my brain just screamed "ahhh, so many letters!" but then Nabokov fell into place.

I was curious to see what happened if a contestant only put down "What is Nabokov ?" -- would that have been accepted ?

Her DD wager was horrible.

I agree.  She was only $200 ahead;  she had 13200 and the closest opponent had 13000.  Betting $2000 on the final question was foolish.  If she had got it, she still wouldn't have put herself so far ahead she couldn't be caught and she ending up losing her lead.  Either bet enough to make it meaningful, but don't risk your lead over a possible slightly bigger lead.

I was rather hoping she'd lose due to this foolishness but she lucked out.

One thing I've always wished Alex would stop saying is "No harm, no foul" whenever all three contestants are mistaken.  Losing the exact same amount of money is NOT the same consequences for each--it depends on the proportion lost.  Please stop saying that, Alex.

• Love 5

I was curious to see what happened if a contestant only put down "What is Nabokov ?" -- would that have been accepted ?

I was wondering the same thing.  Under most circumstances where he was the answer, the last name would suffice, but I wonder if they'd want the full name here since the anagram came from his first and last names together.

And since I always spell his name wrong, I wonder whether that would count as an error under these circumstances.  Again, not normally, because it's consistent enough with the pronunciation, but since here all the letters were there, I wonder if it would be different.

• Love 1

Andrea didn't bother me at all.  She was serious but didn't have any weird quirks.  That was a strange wager Gina made for the last clue.  I thought she would go with zero and keep her slight lead.  Well, it worked out for her, but I wouldn't have been upset if Andrea had stayed champion.  I'm glad the guy in the middle didn't win.

• Love 1

Wow, today's show was awful. (not sure what the rules are here since it airs at all different times in different markets.

Good time to ask. When do you guys get Jeopardy(and is it hooked up with Wheel of Fortune)? I'm 7pm on ABC affiliate(and yes, Wheel follows).

Edited by GaryE
  • Love 2

Wow, today's show was awful. (not sure what the rules are here since it airs at all different times in different markets) Low scoring, lots of mistakes and/or no responses. Hate those kinds of games.

In this forum, you can talk about the episode without spoilers after 7PM EST of the day it aired. It may air earlier in the day for some markets, but most people tend to watch it in the evening.

Wow, today's show was awful. (not sure what the rules are here since it airs at all different times in different markets) Low scoring, lots of mistakes and/or no responses. Hate those kinds of games.

So many TS and wrong answers that produced a relatively low scoring game.

Defending champ Gina tore out of the gate in the Jeopardy round and had $4800 by the first break, so I thought she might actually do better than yesterday's game but then only managed to make another $2400 total by the end of DJ.

ETA: Got the defending champ's name wrong, now corrected -- thanks @Ailianna for the reminder.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1

Defending champ Alex tore out of the gate in the Jeopardy round and had $4800 by the first break, so I thought she might actually do better than yesterday's game but then only managed to make another $2400 total by the end of DJ.

Do you mean Gina?

I had a bunch of right guesses, which sometimes I like better than things I *know* because I have to figure it out. I got Final too, but more as an educated guess then either a firm knowing or a regular guess.

• Love 1

I agree, that was a terrible game. Gina acted bored.

I at least am smart enough to know that Bull Run and Bunker Hill weren't fought in the late 1800's in Montana. I was screaming Custer's Last Stand.

Off topic - my grandparents are buried at Custer National Cemetery at Little Bighorn Battlefield.

• Love 4

I at least am smart enough to know that Bull Run and Bunker Hill weren't fought in the late 1800's in Montana. I was screaming Custer's Last Stand.

Holy cow, that was bad. 

It took me a couple of seconds to get Lily Tomlin, but I got there in time. Also, the one with 'wrinkle' as the answer seemed way too easy and obvious to me, but, well, not to them.

A boring game.

• Love 5
Good time to ask. When do you guys get Jeopardy(and is it hooked up with Wheel of Fortune)?

In Chicago it comes on at 3:30; last year it came on at 2:30.  In Western Illinois, where I lived last year, it came on at noon, which may be the earliest time slot in the country.  In Chicago, it's shoehorned in between Inside Edition and the news.  WoF is on in the evenings at 6:30, after 2.5 hours of news.

Good time to ask. When do you guys get Jeopardy(and is it hooked up with Wheel of Fortune)? I'm 7pm on ABC affiliate(and yes, Wheel follows).

In Denver, it's on the Fox affiliate at 6:00 pm, followed by Wheel at 6:30.

In southwest Virginia, we get Wheel at 7 followed by J! at 7:30.  Except during the NCAA basketball tourney, when we get them at 10 and 10:30 am.

And Bull Run for Custer's Last Stand?  I was speechless.

Atlanta's NBC affiliate has a UHF sister-station, so that when something pre-empts J! (like an extended news show or the Prez coming to town & throwing darts at Manuel's Tavern, the local Dem hang-out), they still show it at 7:30 on the sister station.  For a while now, they've been doing Dr. Phil at 5, half-hour local news at 6, NBC Nightly News at 6:30, another silly local news show at 7, J! at 7:30, with Wheel on at 7 on the other channel.  I don't know what they did with Dr. Phil, but they've got an hour and half of local news now at 5, NBC news, and then Wheel/J! at 7/7:30.

Once before, when they wanted a news show at 7, they bumped Wheel to 7:30 & J! was on at 4:30.  I think the reasoning behind that was J! watchers know how to program VCRs (that's how long ago it was) and Wheel Watchers, probably not so much.  LOL.

It airs in Tucson at 3:30 but I don't get to see it until around 6, when I get home from work. Oddly , WOF comes on at 6:30 here. (Our prime time shows start here at 7, which, much like the NFL starting at 10 am on Sundays, is one of those things I'll never get used to! Every other place I've lived has aired Jeopardy and WOF together.

It airs in Tucson at 3:30 but I don't get to see it until around 6, when I get home from work. Oddly , WOF comes on at 6:30 here. Our prime time shows start here at 7, which, much like the NFL starting at 10 am on Sundays, is one of those things I'll never get used to!

Every other place I've lived has aired Jeopardy and WOF back-to-back during the 7 pm hour.

In my city, Jeopardy & Wheel are on different stations now but when they were on the same channel Jeopardy aired at 12:30 pm and Wheel was at 6:30 pm Central Time. The NBC affiliate just wouldn't give up the newscast at 6 pm. Now Jep's on at 6 and Wheel is on at 6:30.

About last night's game, I couldn't believe on the Custer's Last stand, and the clue included the year, that the two that buzzed in guess Bull Run (Civil War) and Bunker Hill ( Revolutionary War.) So sad.

Edited by HelenBaby

Even I knew those were terrible guesses for Battle of the Little Big Horn; I know quite well it was Custer's Last Stand but for some reason it wouldn't come to me when I needed it.

Jerusalem was another answer I thought was quite obvious but the guy on the end said Constantinople.  I forget if it was a DD or the two women just didn't ring in, but he was the only one who answered.

For FJ I said Jesuits, thinking 1523 was about the time they would have been in North America trying to convert the natives to Christianity.  Never thought of the Huguenots.

Edited by Trey

In this forum, you can talk about the episode without spoilers after 7PM EST of the day it aired. It may air earlier in the day for some markets, but most people tend to watch it in the evening.

Umm, you mean 7PM EDT (since 7PM EDT is 6PM EST), right ?  We have to be pedantic here, it's the Jeopardy! category...

• Love 1

Umm, you mean 7PM EDT (since 7PM EDT is 6PM EST), right ?  We have to be pedantic here, it's the Jeopardy! category...

I think that was posted prior to the time change. I think it just means 7 pm eastern time, regardless of standard or daylight savings time.

• Love 3