Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 31 (2014-2015)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Oooh, Becky said "I'd like to make it a true daily double", a pet peeve of some around here.  But she had the appearance that would make her a fan favorite had she won and stayed around.

"Chapter titles in Moby Dick": Now there's a Jeopardy category.

On FJ, I got epsilon, and then drew a blank.

• Love 1

I don't know how it happened, but I am now finding contestant Alex to be charming.  Watching tonight (Wednesday), it seems that he is not bouncing around the board as much, but rather is being quite logical in seeking the doubles, and going for the high yield clues.

• Love 3

I've never heard the rhyme, at least not that I remember.  So I'm still a little impressed.  (I'm too young to have seen the miniseries when it originally ran, but have seen it since - I used to have a thing for Peter Strauss.)

Oh gosh, me too. I thought he was more attractive than Nick Nolte.

"Into Thin Air" is one of my favorite books so I think it's highly over-valued as a $2000 clue but I also know it's probably not well known to everyone.

I've read that book so many times, I can almost recite it (and I know a writer who worked with Jon Krakauer) from memory. I also think it was overvalued as a $2,000 clue since I've seen it on other quiz shows. It's pretty commonly known, I think, even for non-Everest students.

I missed today's (Wednesday) show and am bummed because I'm becoming a big Alex BackScratcher fan. Did he win?

• Love 1

Shouldn't Alex have had to say "Eleanor" Roosevelt? Or was Teddy not married in the White House?

TR was married to Edith Roosevelt at the time he was president. She was much more low-key than Eleanor, so I guess "Roosevelt" was sufficient to identify the statue. Weirdly, I thought of that hideous Lucille Ball statue that's been in the news.

I was rooting for Becky, and I didn't notice any "vocal fry." She was the first to give Alex a real run for his money. I groaned when I saw she had written "omega". Alex's deadpan and monotone are starting to get to me. The only moment he was really touching was when he talked about his fiancee when choosing "Women on a Pedestal." This is really catty of me, but I picture her like Amy on The Big Bang Theory.

• Love 3

Thanks for the New York Giants bone, Jeopardy!

Shouldn't Alex have had to say "Eleanor" Roosevelt? Or was Teddy not married in the White House?

TR was married while president and I thought the same thing.

I was so pulling for Becky to win. Alex Jacob is getting on my last nerve. He goes hunting for the DD's and then gets a disgusted look on his face when he finds it. What's up with that?

• Love 2

I was glad that Becky did not win because she had a bit of a vocal fry that was driving me crazy. She had a good showing, but so glad I do not have to listen to that voice.

I de notice any vocal fry and that's a huge pet peeve of mine. But even so, I'd rather listen to a frog croak than watch old Rocking Stoner Alex one more second.

I was rooting for Becky, and I didn't notice any "vocal fry." She was the first to give Alex a real run for his money. I groaned when I saw she had written "omega". Alex's deadpan and monotone are starting to get to me. The only moment he was really touching was when he talked about his fiancee when choosing "Women on a Pedestal." This is really catty of me, but I picture her like Amy on The Big Bang Theory.

He wasn't scratching today. Must be because he wore a sweater instead of the same shirt he wore three days in a row. He acted stoned again today.

I thought of unattractive Amy, too, when he mentioned his fiance.

I thought the same thing.  It's my pet peeve.  But I noticed that he has never said anyone's first name when the answer is a name. The Amelia Earhart answer, for example.  He just said Earhart.  It sounded strange because people almost always say her full name. 

Becky came so close.  I was really rooting for her.  

• Love 3

I'm with you. Doesn't matter to me that she wasn't as well known as Eleanor.

Happy dance as soon as I saw FJ - I always felt memorizing the greek alphabet in college would have to come in handy somewhere other than the NY Times crossword!

I find Alex much more tolerable and really enjoyed today's game. He's still not my favorite, but nowhere near as annoying to me as I found him during his first game. Today was exciting because it was close. I love that.

His mention of his fiancé was sweet. I'm seeing a sense of humor, which I like. As long as he doesn't slow play, I'm cool with him being the champ. I'm looking forward to seeing him compete in the TOC against the last champ, whose demeanor was so opposite of his.

I may not like the board jumping, but I can't fault him since he continues to win.

I've read some not-so-flattering stories about Toby Maguire's poker antics. I'm glad Host Alex didn't delve into that with contestant Alex.

• Love 2

I was surprised Reuben was a TS - although my parents were huge fans of the musical Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat so I learned the children of Israel (and all of the colours) from hearing the soundtrack ad nausem as a toddler :P

Alex definitely should have had to specify Eleanor - but then, Alex Trebek should have asked him to be more specific, and I'm sure he would have been able to provide the first name, so I'm not too upset about it.

For FJ I felt like every letter I was running through in my head was 5 letters. I got epsilon but couldn't come up with another.

I've said before that I enjoy contestants doing well, so the longer Alex stays on, the more I like him. Also he is exponentially less annoying than he was on Friday.

I, too, only got epsilon. I don't know the Greek alphabet.

I liked that Becky was doing so well. I felt bad for Doug, esp when Alex said something like "Believe it or not, Doug is still in the game."

One TS I was proud of getting was 'inversion.'

In the ube category, one answer/question was 'exuberant,' and then that word came up in another clue not too long afterwards.

I felt bad for Doug, esp when Alex said something like "Believe it or not, Doug is still in the game."

Alex was throwing all kinds of shade at Doug throughout the game. Maybe he thought he was being funny but it just came across as kind of mean at times.

• Love 3

Oh no Becky -- she was so very very close to possibly dethroning Alex the contestant.  I can't believe that she got epsilon but didn't think that upsilon was the same length . Arrgggh.

Maybe she's like me and had never heard of upsilon?  Although I did get omicron and epsilon.

He wasn't scratching today. Must be because he wore a sweater instead of the same shirt he wore three days in a row.

His games so far were probably all filmed the same day, so he wasn't really wearing the same shirt 3 days in a row, but when I was a contestant, the instructions packet specifically said to bring at least 3 different outfits for taping to give the appearance of it being different days.  Maybe Alex is one of those guys who buys multiples of the same shirt.

Alex was throwing all kinds of shade at Doug throughout the game. Maybe he thought he was being funny but it just came across as kind of mean at times.

Just one more example of why I dislike Alex Trebeck. He's rude and condescending and so pompous, like he's the smartest person in the room. I'd be the smartest person in the room too if I were given all the answers before the game. My dogs think every Jeopardy question is "Shut the F up, Alex" since that's what I shout at the tv the most.

• Love 9

Maybe she's like me and had never heard of upsilon?  Although I did get omicron and epsilon.

I had heard of upsilon, but I don't think I'd have remembered it if given all day. I got the other two. My husband, the mathematician, said "Math loves to use Greek letters, but I've never heard of upsilon."

I thought of epsilon and upsilon first, and wondered if you could just write the greek letters themselves, since the clue asked for the letters, not the spelling.  Then I realized the third was omicron, and wondered if I could have gotten away with the capitals and written "What are E and O?"

(I know a capital upsilon can look like a Y, but I tend to think of the form with the curved upper arms.)

I've never heard of omicron.

I used to have an Omicron watch. Had no idea it was a Greek letter.

Many decades ago, my brother was in a fraternity, Sigma (something) Upsilon. At the school there was another frat, Sigma (same something) Epsilon. With the rivalry between them, I remember clearly my brother stating "Upsilon, not Epsilon" - which is the ONLY reason I got FJ.

• Love 1

I thought of omicron right away (Omicron Ceti was a planetary system in the original Star Trek. Who says scifi isn't educational?) but couldn't come up with epsilon or upsilon, although once I saw the answers I did remember epsilon.

• Love 1

THURSDAY

The DD in the first round: I didn't know, but in the long pause, I guessed Venice. Alex had to guess it too.  That's when I figured he would win again.

The thing about Alex is: he's not a dominant player as we have seen before where the dominant players know all the answers right away.  Alex is a very good player - above average for sure - but more importantly he plays intelligently.  I know viewers hate board hopping, but it is a good strategy.  He also rings in when he thinks he might know an answer even though it takes a couple seconds for him to come up with it.  His DD wagers are also thought out well.

• Love 9
The DD in the first round: I didn't know, but in the long pause, I guessed Venice. Alex had to guess it too.  That's when I figured he would win again.

The exact same thing happened to me, during the pause Venice came to me, the only place I could think of. For a few seconds, I thought Alex was going to lose it all though. My inside voice cried, "NO!" Heh.

Trebek so far has not made one snarky "HELL-low" when Alex bets it all (instead of betting a "True Daily Double") and isn't being snotty to him at all, nor making fun of when he only bets $100. What's up with that? It's so un-Trebek-like.

• Love 2

I didn't notice any scratching today, but I did feel like he was stalling almost the entire time. I don't know why he feels he should do that, but that's what it seemed like to me.

Although, it also took me a while to work out Venice, even with the Italian words in the clue. I blurted it out just before he did.

Damn, I said Ahmenijad too, because Qadafi just didn't come to me.

Solzhenitsyn should not have been a $2000 clue.

Ohhh noo boo hiss.

• Love 1

I didn't notice any scratching today, but I did feel like he was stalling almost the entire time. I don't know why he feels he should do that, but that's what it seemed like to me.

Although, it also took me a while to work out Venice, even with the Italian words in the clue. I blurted it out just before he did.

Damn, I said Ahmenijad too, because Qadafi just didn't come to me.

Solzhenitsyn should not have been a $2000 clue.

Ohhh noo boo hiss.

Yeah, boo hiss indeed. He didn't scratch today even though he wore his one blue shirt. Maybe Amy Farah Fowler washed it.

I can't figure out if he's stalling, stoned or bored out of his mind.

I was totally clueless on FJ.

• Love 1

I can't figure out if he's stalling, stoned or bored out of his mind.

My impression of this dude is that he truly believes that he's "the smartest guy in the room" , but that he's doing his fellow contestants the favor of letting them think they have a chance against him.  Granted, he knows his stuff, but his downplay strikes me as hugely annoying and condescending, both to his opponents as well as the viewing audience.  He's basically just transferred his poker face from the table to the podium.  And...if he's supposed to be such a good poker player, the Jeopardy! money must seem like "chump change" to him, although he'd like you to believe otherwise.

I vowed not to watch while he remained as champion, but my love of Jeopardy! has sucked me back in.  However, I can't warm to him and don't enjoy watching him at all.

Edited by Tunia
  • Love 7

I'm really sorry if it's inappropriate to point this out, but the comments speculating about the looks of Alex's girlfriend seem insanely out of line. Is this a high school locker room?

• Love 16

My impression of this dude is that he truly believes that he's "the smartest guy in the room" , but that he's doing his fellow contestants the favor of letting them think they have a chance against him.  Granted, he knows his stuff, but his downplay strikes me as hugely annoying and condescending, both to his opponents as well as the viewing audience.  He's basically just transferred his poker face from the table to the podium. 

You may be right. I don't think he's stalling, but I find his pauses before answers very perplexing. The Venice one, for instance, seemed very easy to me. I'd never heard of the Marriage of the Sea, or whatever that was, but I came up with Venice quickly because I figured it wasn't just a city on a coast. It was a special city.

Anyway, you might be right about his "downplaying" and also his using a poker face.

I thought the P's and Q's category was kind of dumb. "The answers begin with either of those two letters." 

I couldn't quite remember polenta. I knew it, but the word wouldn't come to mind.

Is the Rhine known for having steep banks or something?

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 1

Alex J. makes me wish Jeopardy would go back to the 5 wins and you're done rule. His stalling, monotone delivery, and don't give a shit attitude are grating. Reminds me of deadpan comic Steven Wright but without the humor. I hope he's replaced -and soon - by someone who's easier to take. He's insufferable.

• Love 8

My impression of this dude is that he truly believes that he's "the smartest guy in the room" ,

That title belongs to Alex Trebek. 

Does every winner get ranked on here? Wrong clothes, looks are not how I think they should be, too short, too tall, doesn't smile, smiles too much, too wooden, don't like your hair, blah blah blah. Has there ever been a winner that anyone here likes? Heaven help those of us who pass the test and get on this show. This is one tough room to play.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 15
Heaven help those of us who pass the test and get on this show. This is one tough room to play.

I doubt there's a universally liked player (or a universally disliked one, either).  If I'm ever on the show, which I sincerely doubt will happen (esp. since I took the at-home quiz this week), I will start talking about it here the moment I get home from taping, in hopes for a warm hometown reception. ;-)

Edited by ChicagoCita
  • Love 4

Does every winner get ranked on here? Wrong clothes, looks are not how I think they should be, too short, too tall, doesn't smile, smiles too much, too wooden, don't like your hair, blah blah blah. Has there ever been a winner that anyone here likes? Heaven help those of us who pass the test and get on this show. This is one tough room to play.

Just, as the saying goes, laugh all the way to the bank.

• Love 4

I missed tonight's and last night's episodes, but I've just (mostly) caught up with the latter via the archive. 

No one knew carhop?  I knew wheelhouse, too, in the same category, but that one being a TS didn't stand out to me.  Carhop did. 

I didn't know Jennifer Lopez inspired Baby Got Back, but it was a fairly easy guess, so that was a bit surprising as a TS, too.  Maybe the ethnicity tripped them up?  Because I would have expected someone to offer her up as a guess.

I think the carpetbagger clue was over-valued as a DD, since I knew it instantly even without the visual aid.

I know very little about the Greek alphabet, so I could have sat there until the cows came home and not come up with two of those three.

• Love 1
Is the Rhine known for having steep banks or something?

I don't know if it's especially famous for steep banks, but it's famous for the legend of the Lorelei, a beautiful mermaid-like creature who sings to sailors and makes them crash on the rocks. According to Wikipedia, the Lorelei is also a large cliff. That was the giveaway in the clue for me.

• Love 4

I didn't know Jennifer Lopez inspired Baby Got Back, but it was a fairly easy guess, so that was a bit surprising as a TS, too.  Maybe the ethnicity tripped them up?  Because I would have expected someone to offer her up as a guess.

Me too. It really was an instaget for me not because I knew it, but because it was easy to figure out. Like you said, maybe the contestants were trying to think of a black singer/actress, or they couldn't get Kim Kardashian out of their minds.

That title belongs to Alex Trebek.

I like this board and spend a lot of time here, but if I'm ever fortunate enough to make the show I won't give a damn what any of you think of me! Hell, I'm sure I'd do some of the very things I complain about... I still won't care. But discussing the contestants theselves, their mannerisms, their demeanors, their clothing, etc., is fair game. I tend to stay away from discussing their looks. However, this is still a message board. Anyone too sensitive probably shouldn't ego surf to find out what's being said about them anyway.

For me, Jeopardy is a show one should dress up for. So I notice when someone looks like they just rolled out of bed. It's a serious, fast-paced show. So I notice when someone editorializes or plays slowly. It's a show in which the best way to understand a category is to start from the top. So I notice when someone starts every category from the fourth box. I watch because I enjoy playing along, which is hard to do when there's a contestant who drives me nuts. Should they care what I think? Absolutely not. But I'm still allowed to think and discuss how I feel.

If we know a boardie is on the show, we are kind to them. They may still drive us nuts, but we won't say it. I'd rather worry about making the show than worry about what anyone here may say about me when/if I do. As I said, I couldn't care less. I'm sure Alex the contestant doesn't care either. Like Arthur, Colby, and others that haven't been exactly popular, the money they make is still green. I'd take winning 100 grand and bragging rights while being disliked over winning nothing while sitting on my couch any day of the week.

Edited by teebax
  • Love 14

I didn't know Jennifer Lopez inspired Baby Got Back, but it was a fairly easy guess, so that was a bit surprising as a TS, too.

More like claimed on Twitter that JLo inspired Baby Got Back 25 years after the fact.  I don't think many people believed him.

• Love 4