Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

19 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Is it just me or why is it that the people who’s job is to think of worst case scenario haven’t thought or planned for worse case scenario? Aren’t there teams of people who are in charge? Nobody thought what would happen to the state of Texas if temperatures drop?  I don’t understand.

I think one of the problems is record-breaking temps. I can't speak for Texas (and I know there are other factors at work), but I know here in Arkansas, it wasn't just a temperature drop. It was weather that has never before been recorded in the state. I've seen some days here that start out around 0, but I've lived here most of my 31 years and have never before experienced -20 windchills, let alone -15 weather. Even just accounting for worse than usual (-10) would not have factored in that sort of a temp. If you'd told me last year we'd have experienced that, I'd have raised an eyebrow. Granted, it's not my job to do contingency planning, but I do think it's more than just a matter of temperatures dropping. 

[I feel like a comparison is, according to our overlords at Wikipedia, Boston's record high is 104. If they suddenly reached 124, which I'm sure would seem unthinkable, would the infrastructure possibly not be able to handle something it was never designed to do?]

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7

SunnyBeBe, stay safe and don't forget to let all of your faucets drip overnight to prevent the pipes from freezing. My master bathroom tub and toilet finally thawed out yesterday and now I'm on the lookout for leaks. We had a high of 28 degrees today and it felt downright balmy. We might hit 32 tomorrow and then it's up from there, thank goodness. We're going to be cleaning up this mess for months, if not years. 

• Love 7

I’m sending lots of virtual warm hugs, along with hot beverages and snacks of choice to all of our small talk/prayer closet friends affected by the storms and icy cold weather.

Prayers offered up for a quick return to your usual February weather

• Love 16
32 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

2nd dose done.  I'm starting to feel a little chilled, and I doubt I will be going to Ash Wednesday service tonight.  My prayers are with everyone in the storm areas and those without power.  Stay safe.

Chills were one of the first things to hit me. Fortunately I was back to myself in about a day. Take care of yourself and take it easy. Just got back from Ash Wednesday service myself.  

• Love 12

@CalicoKitty:  My church did not have formal Ash Wednesday services this afternoon.  Instead, our pastor and one of the deacons took turns distributing ashes to parishioners using individual Q-tips.  Meditative music was played in the background, and social distancing was observed.  Individual pages of scripture readings were provided for personal prayer and meditation.

The parish even provided tiny bags of take home ashes, for those who did not feel comfortable in coming to church.  The ashes were available for pick up in the parish center.

• Love 7
45 minutes ago, marypat57 said:

@CalicoKitty:  My church did not have formal Ash Wednesday services this afternoon.  Instead, our pastor and one of the deacons took turns distributing ashes to parishioners using individual Q-tips.  Meditative music was played in the background, and social distancing was observed.  Individual pages of scripture readings were provided for personal prayer and meditation.

The parish even provided tiny bags of take home ashes, for those who did not feel comfortable in coming to church.  The ashes were available for pick up in the parish center.

What a nice idea.  I didn't get my ashes this year.  It's hard to believe it is already Lent!

• Love 5

We got another several inches of snow yesterday afternoon/overnight. I'm just glad it was snow this time, and not sleet or ice. Next week is my last week at my job here, and we've been remotely working this week. My replacement was able to get online yesterday, so we started working via Teams, which is a good time because you have to keep flipping screens to show what she should be seeing in a multi-screen setup. LOL. It's much better than nothing, and she seems like she's going to be a quick study. Yesterday is when my surgery was supposed to be, so I guess this is another reason it has to wait a bit.
Then...we're supposed to be in the 50s over the weekend. Got to love it.

• Love 7

A PSA : when you set your vehicle’s head lights on “auto”, your tail lights do not come on. Are there exceptions? I don’t know. So, start your car, lights on “auto” and walk to the back and check. 

Another  PSA: after driving in the snow, or slush, clean your wheel wells out.

Snowing here, (PA) it’s supposed to continue through tomorrow. ❄️ 

Edited by ginger90
  • Useful 5
  • Love 6

Whew. I was braced yesterday to experience a reaction to my second Moderna vaccine shot. And - nada. No chills, no fever, nothing unusual. 

I was tired, but I don't think that was because of the vaccination. I got up at oh-dark-thirty yesterday morning to attend a Zoom tour of an abandoned London Underground station. It was a civilized hour in London - but 4:30 AM here. Hey, it was my choice and my money, and I'm glad I did it. I indulged my inner London geek and she was very happy. 🙂  

So it seems that from now until Monday I'm not only not working, I have no excuse for not tackling some home projects. Mostly cleaning up and clearing out extra stuff. Not fun, but I know I'll be happier when it's all done and order is restored to the condo. 

I hope everyone affected by the awful winter storms is safe, and soon to have normal life restored. 

• Love 15
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

A PSA : when you set your vehicle’s head lights on “auto”, your tail lights do not come on. Are there exceptions? I don’t know. So, start your car, lights on “auto” and walk to the back and check. 

Another  PSA: after driving in the snow, or slush, clean your wheel wells out.

Snowing here, (PA) it’s supposed to continue through tomorrow. ❄️ 

This is correct about taillights. Auto is just driving lights. You've got to actually turn your lights on manually. I'm sure there are some fancy cars that will do it, but in general, you've got to do it manually. 

Snowing in the DC area today.  I'm over winter. 

• Love 3

This is snow is too much. I have been driving for 20yrs and have NEVER EVER been stuck in the snow until this year! (SUVs). I shoveled a beautiful path out of our garage for my Mom yesterday, and got out and in twice to assure that it would be okay (I had to block my own car in with the snow but whatever) and then this morning I was pulling her out of the garage and got SUCK in her Jeep Cheerokee mind you. I was NOT going to be vexed by the snow, I ended up getting back in the garage and then just pressing on the gas and the wheel in reverse to get out. She is at work okay.

In dog care news, I think I am going to change out Cosmo's food. I had been feeding my cats grain free Fromm (in various flavors) for 14yrs, AND I think it served them well, so I was going to head to my local pet boutique and talk to them about it- what do you guys feed your large dogs? I heard grain free was bad for dogs, but I would get the regular Fromm for him. Right now Cosmo is on a reduced kibble diet (just a little bit less) and getting more exercise. My goal by his vet appointment in May is for him to have lost 8lbs. Hes 8 and we have a lot of stairs here and I want him to be comfortable. 

• Love 10

I live in Michigan and it is breaking my heart to read posts from my friends in Texas, Arkansas, Mississippi, etc., who cannot leave their homes, are dealing with burst pipes, no heat for days, etc.  We frequently joke back and forth about how I can't handle humidity and they can't handle snow.  I will not joke about that ever again.  This weather system is unprecedented and they keep getting hit over and over with layers of snow and ice.  Here we can handle it, we're used to it, we have equipment to make it easier to drive and get places.  We don't run out of bread and milk when a snowstorm is forecasted.  In my town we have had three major storms pass just south of us.  It shakes me that my southern friends are actually going through worse snowstorms at the moment than I am.  Stay safe, everyone.

• Love 15

AACK. I just acquired a new home project, and it is not. fun. 

I've recently replaced both my desktop and laptop computers (Macs). 

The only downside for some reason, was migrating what was my iTunes music library to the new Music library on the new desktop. But, I got it done, and since I'm kind of old school I loaded my music onto an iPod touch for listening in the car, etc. I have a pretty big music (fka iTunes) library. Much of it was music I have on CDs and imported as mp3 files, and some of it is music I bought digitally from Amazon or the iTunes store.

Today I wanted to find my Dolly Parton music - and my ENTIRE MUSIC LIBRARY is missing. I had it on an external SSD (hard drive). And - poof- all gone! 😮  It's all still on the iPod, thank goodness.

I found another external hard drive which has my old iTunes library from a year or two ago. At the moment the Music app is importing all of that as the "new" music library. Onto a new external SSD that I am going to trust; I don't know if I can trust the other SSD that lost all my music, anymore.

Once the current import is done, I will have to figure out what I need to add to the library to catch it up with the last year or so of music, and how to use the iPod to do that. I've found instructions online. 

This isn't a tragedy in the big scheme of things - but it's annoying as heck. And, of course I'm going to back up my music library not only to the iPod but to another drive as well. Sigh.

• Love 5

There has been so much discussion of streets and utilities in southern states unprepared for the cold, snow and ice and yesterday I got to thinking about another issue.  I doubt that everyone has heavy coats, gloves and snow boots, so it could be dangerous to even venture out.  A few days ago I went out to the end of my driveway to pick up the empty trash can and like usual for quick thing like that, didn't put on a coat or gloves.  I was shocked at how seriously cold I got in that brief outing - it would have taken very little more time to be in danger.  

• Love 10
39 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

This is correct about taillights. Auto is just driving lights. You've got to actually turn your lights on manually. I'm sure there are some fancy cars that will do it, but in general, you've got to do it manually. 

Snowing in the DC area today.  I'm over winter. 

Yeah I've got one of those fancy cars (though it was relatively cheap).  For me auto switches between running lights, headlights and high beams based on a combination of ambient light levels, driving speed and oncoming traffic.  If either of the later two modes are in operation, the taillights are on as well.  I don't use the setting much because the computer and I disagree about which mode should be in use most of the time.  I do love the auto-dimming mirrors though!

• Love 6
22 minutes ago, Suzn said:

There has been so much discussion of streets and utilities in southern states unprepared for the cold, snow and ice and yesterday I got to thinking about another issue.  I doubt that everyone has heavy coats, gloves and snow boots, so it could be dangerous to even venture out.  A few days ago I went out to the end of my driveway to pick up the empty trash can and like usual for quick thing like that, didn't put on a coat or gloves.  I was shocked at how seriously cold I got in that brief outing - it would have taken very little more time to be in danger.  

Yes this is true. Also these winter gear items aren't cheap. I posted yesterday how grateful I am that I have always been able to afford the best winter gear. My Columbia Coat with omni heat was $200 on clearance last march, and my boots died at the end of Jan and I had to order a pair from DSW last minute- Sorel, $160. I also have the knowledge on how to layer for winter weather. Not having a proper coat and boats is a health concern in Chicago- but at least I know that and have the funds to prepare.

The individuals hit right now have NO items, and may not have funds to acquire them AND how are they supposed to get to them in this condition?? its not like the Amazon Prime is running efficiently if there is no power in those areas!!!

• Love 8

I have a heavy ( heavy for Texas) coat. When I went out I wore that, a had and gloves and I was little cold. If I had been out longer I would have been very cold.I could not put a sweater under it because it would have been to tight. I do know to layer but you need the proper fitting clothing to do that. Yes money would be an issue for everyone I know and you really don't want to but a 200.00 coat that you will never need again. 

• Love 11
11 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I have a heavy ( heavy for Texas) coat. When I went out I wore that, a had and gloves and I was little cold. If I had been out longer I would have been very cold.I could not put a sweater under it because it would have been to tight. I do know to layer but you need the proper fitting clothing to do that. Yes money would be an issue for everyone I know and you really don't want to but a 200.00 coat that you will never need again. 

If you could get the coat you could always sell it on Poshmark or Mercari later and recover some of your money. 

• Useful 1

I’ve been standing on my porch with Apple support. Poor phone reception here.   For some reason I’m having intermittent issues with being able to use Google search on iPad. WiFi working. Google works on laptop and phone....so, hmmm.  Did updates...The keyboard doesn’t even pop up to type in search words.

Anyway, it’s freezing!  Heavy ice on trees. I’m very anxious over this.  If they snap...I am glad the power lines in the neighborhood are underground!  Thank goodness for that.  Trying to get work project completed.  It’s difficult to focus.  I can’t image how things are for those without power and water for days when it’s cold.  I lost power after hurricane Fran for 10 days, but it wasn’t cold.  

We continue to get the lake effect snow coming down from Lake Michigan!  Snow is piled about 5 feet on each side of our driveway.  I can't imagine all this snow melting!

Next week the temps are forecast to be in the upper 30's.

I went over to the grocery store yesterday for mostly essentials.  Parking lot was full and some shelves were getting low in items.

Trucks can't move in this snow and ice and they along with teachers are essential workers in my humble opinion!

Our world is like a jigsaw puzzle and every piece is needed for the big picture!

Praying for those without power, refrigeration, food to eat, warm clothing and burst pipes!

Please make this end and return us to our pandemic lifestyle!

• Love 15
1 minute ago, Jeanne222 said:

We continue to get the lake effect snow coming down from Lake Michigan!  Snow is piled about 5 feet on each side of our driveway.  I can't imagine all this snow melting!

The only good thing about this melt will be gorgeous tulips come spring. They will LOVE THIS.

• Love 13

My Covid vaccination appointment for tomorrow has been postponed (Duplin County...I don’t live in that county, but they had availability so I figured it’s better to drive a hour than go without) due to transportation issues. It’s rescheduled for next Friday. Since nothing is available in my county I'm not complaining. My friend got her first inoculation. She said other than soreness at the site she just had fatigue that came on pretty fast about 1.5 hours post injection. She was at the Costco parking lot and had to abandon shopping to get home and sleep. 
    My half sister lives in Texas. I’m grateful to know that she has a small wood stove that has prevented any issues of freezing. She and her roommate also garden and put up food so they have plenty of good stuff to eat. I foresee the sales of wood stoves and generators tripling this summer. 
  Sorry to hear that so many of you are dealing with snow and ice. When spring comes I will be absolutely joyous about it. 

• Love 13
31 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’ve been standing on my porch with Apple support. Poor phone reception here.   For some reason I’m having intermittent issues with being able to use Google search on iPad. WiFi working. Google works on laptop and phone....so, hmmm.  Did updates...The keyboard doesn’t even pop up to type in search words.

Anyway, it’s freezing!  Heavy ice on trees. I’m very anxious over this.  If they snap...I am glad the power lines in the neighborhood are underground!  Thank goodness for that.  Trying to get work project completed.  It’s difficult to focus.  I can’t image how things are for those without power and water for days when it’s cold.  I lost power after hurricane Fran for 10 days, but it wasn’t cold.  

I just ran into the exact same problem with Google and my keyboard! I was using Safari as my browser but switched to Chrome and had no problem using Google. I closed out Safari and tried again 5 minutes later and it was fine. Maybe restart your iPad to see if that solves it.

• Love 4
On 2/16/2021 at 11:09 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

Jeanne222, that was a close call. Man, so glad you checked the garage.  I agree about getting carbon monoxide detectors for the home if you have any gas appliances or an attached garage.  
I found that story I mentioned upthread.

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/state/texas/article249278475.html

I still think about that experience.  How it happened, my reaction, and mostly that strong something saying "check the garage"!

I googled car running in garage and found a YouTube video about a family in a condo leaving their car running for 12 hours then getting sick!

I still can't believe we didn't die!  Maybe it was fate and just not our time!  Does God protect us?  Was it a Guardian Angel?  Who whispered...check the garage?

I do check the garage every night before bed now!

• Love 9

I feel terrible for everyone who’s dealing with all of this weather nightmare and having their medical stuff postponed. I can’t imagine how those poor people in Texas are going to get by...I was living in Michigan in an older house during a three-day outage one February after a monster ice storm and by the time it was over, it was 39 degrees in my bedroom. We were incredibly fortunate not to have any pipes freeze up. Now we have a backup generator but it’s mostly because we’re on a well. I wish I could loan everyone a winter coat! I still have most of my Maine Winter Collection!

@Scarlett45, you’re right about grain-free not being good for dogs. They’re omnivores while cats are obligate carnivores. During the great “feed your dog raw and grainfree” hype era they discovered that causes cardiomyopathy in dogs. Yikes. I feed Griffey Fromm Gold, which the breeder recommended and he’s always done well on. Nervous Dog, who is 12 and, well, nervous, is now on Royal Canin Digestive something or other. They both get lots of vegetable and fruit scraps because we eat lots of both and it’s good for them, too. You might see if Cosmo enjoys cooked green beans or carrots...we used to recommend those for dieting dogs. I suspect he’s getting much more exercise now that he’s living with you, so it wouldn’t surprise me if he loses weight just from that. He’s one fortunate canine!

Hugs all around...sending warming thoughts to the south!

• Love 13

Oh, that reminds me... @Scarlett45, if you do change out Cosmo’s food, it’s best to do it over the course of at least 4 days (a week is even better), slowly reducing the amount of the old food and increasing the new. Sudden dietary changes can do a number on their digestive tracts and hustling him out in the snow every ten minutes while he works through a case of the runs would be zero fun. Negative fun, actually.

• Useful 3
  • Love 8
23 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

Oh, that reminds me... @Scarlett45, if you do change out Cosmo’s food, it’s best to do it over the course of at least 4 days (a week is even better), slowly reducing the amount of the old food and increasing the new. Sudden dietary changes can do a number on their digestive tracts and hustling him out in the snow every ten minutes while he works through a case of the runs would be zero fun. Negative fun, actually.

yup I knew that! I was going to buy a small bag (like a 4lb) and slowly mix it into his current food- also to make sure he likes it.

47 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

@Scarlett45, you’re right about grain-free not being good for dogs. They’re omnivores while cats are obligate carnivores. During the great “feed your dog raw and grainfree” hype era they discovered that causes cardiomyopathy in dogs. Yikes. I feed Griffey Fromm Gold, which the breeder recommended and he’s always done well on. Nervous Dog, who is 12 and, well, nervous, is now on Royal Canin Digestive something or other. They both get lots of vegetable and fruit scraps because we eat lots of both and it’s good for them, too. You might see if Cosmo enjoys cooked green beans or carrots...we used to recommend those for dieting dogs. I suspect he’s getting much more exercise now that he’s living with you, so it wouldn’t surprise me if he loses weight just from that. He’s one fortunate canine!

thanks so much for the info!

I feel so tired today.

• Love 6

Okay, Wise Women...does anyone know of an e-card site that isn’t too sappy, crude, or Jesusy?

My sister turns 60 next month and I have had her suitably rude card for months (“Happy Birthday to a wonderful sister. Keep that shit up.” Heartwarming, no?) I even ordered her a “60” tiara.

Then I realized she’s going to be in Florida all next month and I have no address there. So e-card it will have to be, but it’s hard to find anything I’ve liked. Suggestions?

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

It is above freezing here outside of Houston and looks like it will be that way all day!!

Congrats! Here in Dallas we've been sitting on 28 degrees most of the morning, but the sun is trying to come out. I walked around my house with a broom yesterday knocking down huge icicles so they don't come crashing down on me or the dog. I can't wait for all of this to melt and be gone, it's a chore to have to put on boots, gloves, a coat, and hat just to walk outside. We also haven't had mail since Saturday or UPS/FedEx/Amazon deliveries since Sunday. Our garbage and recycling haven't been picked up in over a week now either. But I have power, so I'm trying not to complain too much. 

• Love 12
15 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

Okay, Wise Women...does anyone know of an e-card site that isn’t too sappy, crude, or Jesusy?

My sister turns 60 next month and I have had her suitably rude card for months (“Happy Birthday to a wonderful sister. Keep that shit up.” Heartwarming, no?) I even ordered her a “60” tiara.

Then I realized she’s going to be in Florida all next month and I have no address there. So e-card it will have to be, but it’s hard to find anything I’ve liked. Suggestions?

I have used AmericanGreetings.com since 2003- I like it.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, emma675 said:

Congrats! Here in Dallas we've been sitting on 28 degrees most of the morning, but the sun is trying to come out. I walked around my house with a broom yesterday knocking down huge icicles so they don't come crashing down on me or the dog. I can't wait for all of this to melt and be gone, it's a chore to have to put on boots, gloves, a coat, and hat just to walk outside. We also haven't had mail since Saturday or UPS/FedEx/Amazon deliveries since Sunday. Our garbage and recycling haven't been picked up in over a week now either. But I have power, so I'm trying not to complain too much. 

When will you be above freezing? I ask my supervisor ( he lives in Dallas) and they said some of our stores may o open by Saturday. 

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Oldernowiser said:

https://www.jacquielawson.com/?mrkgcl=1210&mrkgadid=3304576218&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=e greeting cards&adid=429714778021&addisttype=g&creative=429714778021&device=m&matchtype=e&network=g&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=Cj0KCQiAvbiBBhD-ARIsAGM48bysvS44EvBYQCS6cwGIBE0davokInYvzFzyUNRQaw2DYRdnTNbelz4aAqMSEALw_wcB

This is the one I use. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

ecards is free with a lot of choice.  I just sent a birthday card to a friend this week.  Jacquie Lawson has beautiful and unique cards.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

When will you be above freezing? I ask my supervisor ( he lives in Dallas) and they said some of our stores may o open by Saturday. 

We have another hard freeze tonight (I think it's going to be around 18 degrees) and then it's rising after that. I think for the next few days it will be days of melting and refreezing overnight over and over until we hit 70 degrees (!) next Wednesday. I'm hopeful the mail delivery and trash pick up resumes this weekend.

• Love 10
9 minutes ago, emma675 said:

We have another hard freeze tonight (I think it's going to be around 18 degrees) and then it's rising after that. I think for the next few days it will be days of melting and refreezing overnight over and over until we hit 70 degrees (!) next Wednesday. I'm hopeful the mail delivery and trash pick up resumes this weekend.

Please be careful with the thaw and the refreeze. I know you dont have ice melt and it will make walking outside VERY dangerous.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

My Covid vaccination appointment for tomorrow has been postponed (Duplin County...I don’t live in that county, but they had availability so I figured it’s better to drive a hour than go without) due to transportation issues. It’s rescheduled for next Friday. Since nothing is available in my county I'm not complaining. My friend got her first inoculation. She said other than soreness at the site she just had fatigue that came on pretty fast about 1.5 hours post injection. She was at the Costco parking lot and had to abandon shopping to get home and sleep. 
    My half sister lives in Texas. I’m grateful to know that she has a small wood stove that has prevented any issues of freezing. She and her roommate also garden and put up food so they have plenty of good stuff to eat. I foresee the sales of wood stoves and generators tripling this summer. 
  Sorry to hear that so many of you are dealing with snow and ice. When spring comes I will be absolutely joyous about it. 

My husband was due to get his second shot Tuesday; it was rescheduled for Wednesday due to inclement weather and then pushed to Friday.  They just called and said the shipment is stuck in Kentucky (we're in Washington state).  He's been rescheduled for next Tuesday, a whole week behind schedule!

The poor receptionist was so breathless.  She must have so many calls to make and so many unhappy people.  She did thank me for being so understanding.

As a listener of Dr. Fauci, I know that being a week late is no big deal and may even be better.

• Love 14
4 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

Try Blue mountain e-cards. Lots of options. There are some great musical personal ones that contain the person’s first name. A list to pick from. Makes it very special. I like the one with musical video of 3 women in the hair salon.  They are jamming about getting pretty no matter their age.  Pretty funny.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

There’s also a great personal birthday song sung to tune of 9 to 5 from Dolly Parton! People love that one.  Their name appears in lights. If their name isn’t available, you can put sister, friend, mom, etc.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6

So since we're having a snow and ice storm here in the DC area, the school district actually gave us a snow day yesterday. Which was great! And they didn't want to originally, but for some reason, decided to. But today, nothing has changed weather wise. And we're all back to virtual learning. Which is annoying enough. But I lost 6 of my tiny humans just now because their power went out. Ugh. Can we just get to spring already?  This is nothing compared to what Texas is going through, but it's still ridiculous. 

• Love 4
19 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

You could mail the card you already have to her current address with a note on the outside telling her not to open it until her actual birthday.

Otherwise, Jib Jab can be fun:

https://www.jibjab.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA4L2BBhCvARIsAO0SBdZZROdezN4sVGiuC6j6dLouxUAKfpTd3w94A78D75FTZosCSABRHvQaAqz5EALw_wcB

Edited by doodlebug
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

The grandkids have been offered the option to go to hybrid learning.  The parents were leaning toward it and last night asked the kids if they wanted two days a week in a classroom with all the fun stuff removed, wearing masks the whole time, with desks six feet apart surrounded by plexiglass and the kids jumped at the option.  They both said just to see their teacher in person would be enough, but to get to talk in person to another kid would be fantastic.  

• Love 18