Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

I identify! I had an early puberty, the only time in my life when I was as tall as my peers. By 8th grade, average was a thing of the past. I am sitting front and center in my middle school class picture. Not on the laptop to share, but I am flanked by skinny prepubescent boys. 😂

• Love 4

5’3 here, size 8 shoe, and I prefer wide width, although my feet are slim. I hate tight shoes. 

I’m so happy your husband is doing better, @jjane. I know you will find the right course of action for him.

I love your beanie baby story, @ChiCricket. How cool that your online group were all able to get together. Just like @Sew Sumi, I thought sure you were in the team jersey!

I’m learning so much from the conversations about aromantic and asexual feelings. Thank you all for sharing with us.

Edited to add: You think 5’6 is short, @galaxychaser? I WISH I was 5’6. LOL.

Edited by Love2dance
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, pinkie said:

*waving* @ everybody...I love how friendly & supportive everybody is here...I’d love to be friends w/ all y’all! : )

Hi there, @pinkie :)

That's my sister's nickname!

We have nicknames in our family that make no sense, nothing remotely like our given names. 

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, ginger90 said:

I wore a size 8 shoe for many years. I went up to a 9, during my first pregnancy. I went to a podiatrist about a year ago, because I’m old! She told me I should be wearing size 10 shoes. So, now I do, and it makes my feet happy to wear the correct size. 

THIS!!!  I read through alllll the posts so I could catch one I could work with, and this one wins!!!  Because

Truvie:  oh, those shoes are too CHA CHA for words!!!

Shelby:  you can take ‘em if you want, what size do you wear?

Truvie:  Well, I wear a 6 but a 7 feels so good I usually buy an 8

Shelby:  These are a 9

Truvie (taking the shoes):  PERFECT!!

About feet (and shoes):  I have small feet (5.5) and up until I gave birth to my daughter, the women in my family were all of the tiny feet variety.  My Granny, my mom, my aunt and my girl cousins on my mothers side have the little foot thing going on.  But when my daughter came along (and she is a little person, maybe 5’3), she had real feet.  Not huge, but 7-7.5 range.  When HER daughter came along, I actually said in the delivery room , “OMG, LOOK AT THOSE FEET!!!”  She was “L” shaped.  She had the biggest dang feet I’ve ever seen on a newborn.  Welp.  She’s almost 17 now.  She did get some height to go with those feet, but she’s still L shaped.  Plus, she has 2 younger sisters who are never going to be her height and they both have those feet.  Seems to me like the era of Aunt Pittypat has ended.

@ChiCricket, you’re in the middle of the United States on the floor line.  Bluejean dress.  

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Happyfatchick said:

@ChiCricket, you’re in the middle of the United States on the floor line.  Bluejean dress.  

Nah..not me.

I didn't mean for anyone to guess anyway.....I'll never tell.   I'm too shy (really.) I'm not even in the front, or holding the map, even though I know I accidentally made it sound that way. 😂

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Good lord, is there anyone here under 5'10" ? I am 5' on a good day. 😁

I’m 4’9”. I laugh because I’m past the age of being willing to wear pajamas that have Bambi on them (these days Elsa from Frozen). A step stool is my best friend. (JK). Funny thing is that when people see me they don’t consider me that short because I’m well proportioned. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Aaww one of my acquaintances is your size! She has trouble finding shoes in 5.5.

I pretty much only wear athletic type footwear or walking sandals.  I'm fortunate to live in the city with the "world's largest running shoe store" and they carry all the major brands in every size.  For dress shoes I have a couple of favorite brands and a store that will order them, but usually has a pair in stock.  My daughter wears the same size and has picked a brand that fits and orders online.  

• Love 2

@ChiCricket ahhhhhh beanie babies!!!! The nostalgia!!!! I was around ten when they were popular, just the perfect age to be all about them! My sister and I were absolutely crazy about them! We had a friend of our parents' who would always call us and tell us which ones were in the happy meals. Good times! I remember when my cousin got the Princess Diana beanie baby, and he was the most popular person that Christmas Day. Haha! The only "valuable" one we had was Libearty, but unfortunately, we got him before we knew about them, and cut the tag off. 

• Love 1

I always thought I was 5' 6". Then a couple of years ago I got measured at the doctor's office - and I came out at barely 5' 5" or maybe just under 5' 5" - I was too shocked to remember clearly. Either I was never 5' 6" at all or I've shrunk (I'm now 70 years old). However I don't have osteoporosis, nor has my posture slumped forward or anything. For some reason I really HATE the idea of not even being 5' 5" tall, just hate it. No, I am NOT five foot four. I am just NOT. Got it?

I have a good friend of many years who is shorter than me. Once when the subject of height came up, she was surprised when I said I was five foot six. She was sure that I was at least two inches taller than that. I've always paid attention to posture, standing and sitting straight. Maybe that's why she perceived me to be so tall, but whatever the reason, it cracked me up when I heard it. And of course I was secretly very pleased. 

Oh my poor old feets. I never had kids but over my adult life they grew from 8 to 8.5. A long time ago I was measured as 8.5C with a regular sized heel. Found out that at least at that time, it was the average women's shoe size in the US. The problem was that so few shoe companies made shoes that fit a normal sized heel and a wider forefoot. They seemed to assume that if your forefoot was the least bit wider than a B, you also had big wide heels too. Sigh. I wore a lot of 9Bs - a friend who sold shoes tipped me off that that was essentially the same last used for 8.5C (with normal heel) shoes by many manufacturers. This was all back in the 1990s and I don't know what the deal is now.

These days with the beginning of bunions and a couple of wonky toes and whatever, I just suck it up and spend serious coin for my shoes. Often 9W in walking shoes, and recently I bought a couple of pairs of SAS shoes where the 8.5C fits just fine [edited later to add, I looked and they are marked 8.5W, just to be precise].  My days of wearing cute fashionable cheap shoes have vanished in the rear view mirror. Sigh. But I don't miss pantyhose, so there's that.

Edited by Jeeves
shoe size
  • Love 5

@Scarlett45 I totally identify with you about walking into a room and being easily able to talk to everybody! My mom always says that I have never met a stranger! I really think these personality traits can be inherited. When I was 22, my grandmother died, and we had the funeral reception with her side of the family. They live in Wilmington (near Jenelle HAHA!), so I had grown up not seeing them a ton. There were only a few that we kept in regular contact with. I met 50 relatives at least for the first time that day, and I felt like I was...home. They were all just like me!!! I have a pretty unique personality, and my mom is like me to a degree, but I'm so much like them! It was weird seeing how similar I was to these people who share my genes, even though I had been raised separately from them. 

• Love 7

@Jeeves, for years I thought I was 5'3". That's what's on my DL. Then I went to the doctor one day in my mid-20s and was measured and was 5'4". I was gobsmacked. I don't think I grew in my 20s, so I can only assume I was just always badly measured on uneven floors. I'm about 5'4" 1/2, so I can't round up or down. LOL

My combat boots I found that I like add some inches. The first time I saw my stepmom in them, she was so unnerved. She's only 5'0". I'm obviously taller than her but not that much taller! She immediately blurted out, "Have you grown?!" 

• Love 4

I have been measured between 5"1 and a half and 5"2" over the years.  I do have osteoporosis but haven't lost height.  I think it relates to time of day, posture at the time, and the person measuring and how hard they push that bar down.  

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I took down my outdoor Xmas decorations today- this is the first year I’ve put up outdoor decorations. The take down went far smoother than I thought. Bye bye Xmas. 

Same here.  I was proud of myself for putting up lights.  I don't think my dad ever thought that one of his daughters would be doing this task,  but my brothers are worthless most of the time.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Same here.  I was proud of myself for putting up lights.  I don't think my dad ever thought that one of his daughters would be doing this task,  but my brothers are worthless most of the time.

When I was a kid my Mom hired someone to do this but I’m not ballin’ like that. She insisted on opening her living room windows to watch me (she lives in the downstairs unit). 

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I took down my outdoor Xmas decorations today- this is the first year I’ve put up outdoor decorations. The take down went far smoother than I thought. Bye bye Xmas. 

Doing that inside today, procrastinating doing work-work. Sundays  are ruined by dread of Monday. 

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I live with my mom, but I did the lights when she was at work.  If she had been there, all I would hear was how I was doing it wrong.  I try to only work on projects when she is not here.  

Aww I’m sorry. My Mom is very encouraging but she’s NO help at all. “You’re doing great sweetie.”.......the woman only carries her purse. Granted she does have mobility limitations so I’m not suggesting she’s lazy (far from it) but there are times being the only person without any sort of disability is exhausting. I only have two hands and a certain arm span! But I make do. 

• Love 5

@Scarlett45 I'm not in your situation, but I know what you mean. Even as a kid and the youngest, to boot, I was usually more mature and functional than most of the adults in my life. There were addiction and mental health issues there rather than physical disabilities, but I know what it's like to be the person everyone depends on and expects to do everything, and it definitely can be exhausting. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Jeeves said:

I always thought I was 5' 6". Then a couple of years ago I got measured at the doctor's office - and I came out at barely 5' 5" or maybe just under 5' 5" - I was too shocked to remember clearly. Either I was never 5' 6" at all or I've shrunk (I'm now 70 years old). However I don't have osteoporosis, nor has my posture slumped forward or anything. For some reason I really HATE the idea of not even being 5' 5" tall, just hate it. No, I am NOT five foot four. I am just NOT. Got it?

I have a good friend of many years who is shorter than me. Once when the subject of height came up, she was surprised when I said I was five foot six. She was sure that I was at least two inches taller than that. I've always paid attention to posture, standing and sitting straight. Maybe that's why she perceived me to be so tall, but whatever the reason, it cracked me up when I heard it. And of course I was secretly very pleased. 

Oh my poor old feets. I never had kids but over my adult life they grew from 8 to 8.5. A long time ago I was measured as 8.5C with a regular sized heel. Found out that at least at that time, it was the average women's shoe size in the US. The problem was that so few shoe companies made shoes that fit a normal sized heel and a wider forefoot. They seemed to assume that if your forefoot was the least bit wider than a B, you also had big wide heels too. Sigh. I wore a lot of 9Bs - a friend who sold shoes tipped me off that that was essentially the same last used for 8.5C (with normal heel) shoes by many manufacturers. This was all back in the 1990s and I don't know what the deal is now.

These days with the beginning of bunions and a couple of wonky toes and whatever, I just suck it up and spend serious coin for my shoes. Often 9W in walking shoes, and recently I bought a couple of pairs of SAS shoes where the 8.5C fits just fine. My days of wearing cute fashionable cheap shoes have vanished in the rear view mirror. Sigh. But I don't miss pantyhose, so there's that.

I am glad you found SAS. That is where I work and we can fit a lot of people. I am not saying they are super cute although we have gotten better in the past few years.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Zella said:

@Jeeves, for years I thought I was 5'3". That's what's on my DL. Then I went to the doctor one day in my mid-20s and was measured and was 5'4". I was gobsmacked. I don't think I grew in my 20s, so I can only assume I was just always badly measured on uneven floors. I'm about 5'4" 1/2, so I can't round up or down. LOL

My combat boots I found that I like add some inches. The first time I saw my stepmom in them, she was so unnerved. She's only 5'0". I'm obviously taller than her but not that much taller! She immediately blurted out, "Have you grown?!" 

Same here, though I didn't get measured at anything over 5'3" until I was about 50, at which point they said I was about 5'3" 1/2. Got measured at the doctor's just a few weeks ago, at almost 60 years old, and they said I was 5'3" 3/4. So I have no idea what's going on.

For the record, I wore size 8.5 shoes back in the day, but tend to get 9.5 - 10 now. My feet are also wide and flat. Just like my dad's (from the peasant side of the family LOL) Not very pretty. 

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 4
55 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I took everything down today too, inside and out. My husband is Puerto Rican, so we always leave it all up until Jan. 6 (Three King's Day.)

I didn't feel like putting up my tree this year, for the first time ever (been sick), but then my daughter and her 3 kids decided to come in from Texas at the last minute.

They wanted to "experience Christmas" with the family (they're all Jewish.)

I said that I didn't have the oomph to decorate this year, so they said "oh! We'll do it, please let us do it!" (her kids had never decorated a Christmas tree before.)

Thank goodness I feel better and could take it all down though, because they went back home before undoing it all again.

I knew that would happen..lol

13 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I am glad you found SAS. That is where I work and we can fit a lot of people. I am not saying they are super cute although we have gotten better in the past few years.

OK, my Google skillz didn't help on this one. What is SAS, please?

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

I took everything down today too, inside and out. My husband is Puerto Rican, so we always leave it all up until Jan. 6 (Three King's Day.)

I didn't feel like putting up my tree this year, for the first time ever (been sick), but then my daughter and her 3 kids decided to come in from Texas at the last minute.

They wanted to "experience Christmas" with the family (they're all Jewish.)

I said that I didn't have the oomph to decorate this year, so they said "oh! We'll do it, please let us do it!" (her kids had never decorated a Christmas tree before.)

Thank goodness I feel better and could take it all down though, because they went back home before taking it all down. I knew that would happen..lol

OK, my Google skillz didn't help on this one. What is SAS, please?

San Antonio Shoemakers. We are one of the few shoe companys that makes their shoes here is the U.S.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

That was me! I recalled you stating in another thread that you’d never been “in love” but were lucky to have Mr Jyn, and you were still partnered with him. I was wondering what motivated you to marry? (We were talking about why some Duggar couple was together, I cannot remember which one.....)Was it a social expectation/partnered sex/sharing resources/ companionship type motivation?

I am different from you in that I am very extroverted and love chatting with new people (I’m the person that can go to a party where I don’t know a soul and find people to talk to and have fun), and I do experience familial and platonic love quite strongly (I love my Mom and my best friend for example) but romantic love seems like so much emotional energy like WOOSH. Some of my childhood friends have said when we were younger they thought I just hadn’t met the right guy (or I was being an unfeeling asshole) but as we get older they are like “no Scarlett just doesn’t have the feelings most of us have.”

Which is why I think I’m aromantic (or at least on that spectrum). Very thankful I live in the 21st century and I am not required to partner to survive economically. 

Answered via PM. 

24 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

i love SAS shoes!  i have a couple pairs and want a couple more in different colors. otherwise, its 100% sketchers tennies for me all day, everyday. have had two surgeries on my feet (bunions) and have sadly gained 100 pounds so my feet really pay the price!

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, zoomama said:

i love SAS shoes!  i have a couple pairs and want a couple more in different colors. otherwise, its 100% sketchers tennies for me all day, everyday. have had two surgeries on my feet (bunions) and have sadly gained 100 pounds so my feet really pay the price!

They will spoil you.

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

San Antonio Shoemakers. We are one of the few shoe companys that makes their shoes here is the U.S.

Here's a comparison between shoes I bought at Wal-Mart and the similar (to me) shoes I see on the SAS website.  No way, José! 🙃

Of course, I'm retired, and usually just walk around in my socks all day.

When I do go out, my cheap Wal-Mart shoes work just fine.

But even back when I was a pharmacy tech, and on my feet all day, I wouldn't have been able to justify ( or afford) shoes that costly!

Screenshot_20190106-140337.jpg

Screenshot_20190106-140522.jpg

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 1

I’m 5’7 and wear between a 9-10 and a M width to a W depending on the shoe and the season. My feet tend to swell in summer and I wear a larger size in boots than heels. 

My favorite brands are Clark’s, Softwalk, Nike, Fit Flop....I was addicted to Cole Haan when they partnered with Nike but the quality has decline and the price has not. I will spend GOOD money on shoes because they will fall a part on me. 

• Love 3

Saw this thread was "hot" and came to check things out. I'm 5' 4" and wear size 6 adults, 4 in kids. If I'm buying a name brand I always buy kids because they're cheaper. My problem is boots: anything higher or lower than my calf look crazy silly on my stick legs. I really could pack the boots with my cellphone, water bottle and keys. Calf height boots are still wide, however not enough to look like I'm playing dress-up.

I prefer being barefoot. The first thing I do when I walk in the door after work is remove my shoes and my bra. Every once in a while I'll be home prior to my husband coming home. He'll call to check-in and if I'm cranky he'll be like, do you still have your bra on? I hate bras that much.

• Love 16
23 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Anyone watched big mouth and f for family on Netflix?

both highly recommended.

I put these on my “take a look list.” This weekend’s binge was “You” on Netflix. It is pretty intense in parts and may make any of our dating Small Talkers curl up and forget about dating.  Essentially, a seemingly normal guy syber stalks a woman after a chance meeting and interjects himself inter her life. Crazy, suspenseful, graphic in parts. 

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, Catfin said:

I put these on my “take a look list.” This weekend’s binge was “You” on Netflix. It is pretty intense in parts and may make any of our dating Small Talkers curl up and forget about dating.  Essentially, a seemingly normal guy syber stalks a woman after a chance meeting and interjects himself inter her life. Crazy, suspenseful, graphic in parts. 

I love The Marvelous Mrs Maisel on Amazon Prime.

I have watched and rewatched episodes over and over.

FYI, it  has some swearing, if that bothers you. 😊

But the clothes/costumes are to die for!

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

I love The Marvelous Mrs Maisel on Amazon Prime.

I have watched and rewatched episodes over and over.

FYI, it  has some swearing, if that bothers you. 😊

But the clothes/costumes are to die for!

We love the Marvelous Mrs. Maisel too. I saw Rachel Brosnahan on some talk shows and wow, she is nothing like the character, so, Good Acting! Also a niece to the late Kate Spade.

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, Catfin said:

Speaking of stalkers, I just recently found out that the song 

"Every Breath You Take" by The Police, is about an obsessive stalker. 

I thought it was a love song.

I guess  some people even used it as their wedding song.

Who knew?  Not me. 😂

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

Here's a comparison between shoes I bought at Wal-Mart and the similar (to me) shoes I see on the SAS website.  No way, José! 🙃

Of course, I'm retired, and usually just walk around in my socks all day.

When I do go out, my cheap Wal-Mart shoes work just fine.

But even back when I was a pharmacy tech, and on my feet all day, I wouldn't have been able to justify ( or afford) shoes that costly!

Screenshot_20190106-140337.jpg

Screenshot_20190106-140522.jpg

I hope you will forgive me if I defend our product. They are a hand crafted leather shoe made here in the U.S., they do cost a lot of money but if you have foot pain they are worth it. Again I hope I have not offended you we all have different needs and not everyone needs this level of comfort.

• Love 11
13 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

Speaking of stalkers, I just recently found out that the song 

"Every Breath You Take" by The Police, is about an obsessive stalker. 

I thought it was a love song.

I guess  some people even used it as their wedding song.

Who knew?  Not me. 😂

Interesting twist to the stalker song -- it's about a female student who was aggressively crushing on teacher, Sting. Not the other way round, as is so often assumed, to his detriment. 

• Love 1
18 hours ago, emma675 said:

5'8", size 8. What's weird is that I'm a fairly normal size overall but I always have to get wide calf boots. "Normal " width boots are almost always too snug.

This is me, 100%!  I found a pair of black riding boots at Burlington a few years ago, and they fit so well.  I tried on a pair last Saturday, and they were so dang uncomfortable but so stinkin' cute.

jjane , I'm so happy to hear your hubby is doing better.  Good luck with the second opinion.  It's always a wise decision in this situation.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I’m 5’7 and wear between a 9-10 and a M width to a W depending on the shoe and the season. My feet tend to swell in summer and I wear a larger size in boots than heels. 

My favorite brands are Clark’s, Softwalk, Nike, Fit Flop....I was addicted to Cole Haan when they partnered with Nike but the quality has decline and the price has not. I will spend GOOD money on shoes because they will fall a part on me. 

@Scarlett45, we are the same height and shoe size, with the same taste in shoes. I have 6 pairs of the Cole Haan Nike wedges and treat them like the precious commodity they are. I will be so sad when they die. 

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I hope you will forgive me if I defend our product. They are a hand crafted leather shoe made here in the U.S., they do cost a lot of money but if you have foot pain they are worth it. Again I hope I have not offended you we all have different needs and not everyone needs this level of comfort.

Nah..not offended at ALL..I know I'm cheap!

And you do get what you pay for.

Shoes just aren't important to me. I'm sure your shoes are a million times better.

I'm just missing that "woman" gene (that's supposed to love shoes) I guess.

(have never worn makeup either..can't stand the feel of it)

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 7
19 hours ago, Absolom said:

5'1" with size 5.5 feet.  I'm sure there are some more shorties lurking about.

I haven't posted here much (not for a while, anyway), but I had to add to the shorties brigade. 5'2"-ish with size 5.5 feet. Use to be a 5. 

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

Nah..not offended at ALL..I know I'm cheap!

And you do get what you pay for.

Shoes just aren't important to me. I'm sure your shoes are a million times better.

I'm just missing that "woman" gene (that's supposed to love shoes) I guess.

(have never worn makeup either..can't stand the feel of it)

I know the feeling,I hate shopping and do not wear makeup either. The best thing about not having a car is I "found" Amazon. I have almost everything delivered,I use Shipt for food Amazon and Walmart for everything else.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I know the feeling,I hate shopping and do not wear makeup either. The best thing about not having a car is I "found" Amazon. I have almost everything delivered,I use Shipt for food Amazon and Walmart for everything else.

I never, ever thought I'd shop online for food..but I do it now. Love it.

• Love 2