Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, lookeyloo said:

My grand babies are two teenagers and a 10 year old.  I think they are gorgeous.  I will refrain from posting since they are so old.  Y'all who posted your grand babies, they are a very cute bunch of kiddos!!

My three are the same ages ( depending on the exact years of your teens) as yours and their parents request privacy, but trust me they are as cute as the dickens. 

I have grandchild baby fever. Y’all who have little ones keep those adorable baby photos coming. ?

• Love 7

Oh my GOOOOOOOODNESS, @zoomama, what a FACE!!   What a precious baby!!

Y’all, I’m going to vent.  I have this friend who lives far far away from me in Indiana.  I know she’s very jealous of my life - and truly, I do have a pretty good life.  We aren’t wealthy, but we are content.  We are very simple people.  I’ve been through real life.  I’ve cried real tears, I’ve counted my change in the grocery store.  I’ve taken my kids for cheap pizza and come up a quarter short.  Put .74 in a gas tank.   I did my time.  I’m smart enough, and stubborn enough, and determined enough to have lived through some stuff.  Been there, done that. I have real, genuine empathy.  And because I can, I’m good to her in subtle ways.  

In return, she’s very bossy and condescending and tells me what I “should” do in every situation.  She tells me I’m not cold when clearly  I feel cold.  She’s kind of a nag.  She has two grown boys that don’t spend much time with her (go figure).  She has a voice like Tony Soprano’s mother.  I love her, I truly do.  Or I’ve managed to keep this human pet longer than others.  (I’m a magnet for weirdness.  My husband tells me this all the time).  Couple times a year, she comes to see me.  She usually drives alone and I fret for her all the way down.  Love her, but am always worried my brain counting down minutes till her departure is actually audible.   

Here are some random conversations we had during her last visit a few weeks ago.

* She comes into my room while I’m folding underwear.  Happens to be my husbands, but yes, I’m an underwear folder.  It takes up less space, it fits neatly in the space allocated for underwear, and I just like the tidiness of opening a drawer and seeing it in its spot.  

“You’re folding underwear?????”  I look up totally taken aback.  So... you don’t fold underwear?  I start stammering around about why I DO, in fact, fold underwear, and she CACKLES out with a laugh and says “OMG, and you’re actually proud of this fact, that you fold underwear!!!”  ?  is this a “thing”?  Am I the only person in the free world who folds underwear?  (Furthermore, I unfold and refold towels that aren’t folded in 3 sections.  I think that may seriously be a defect.  Things must be folded correctly or maybe bad things will happen.)

* She comes to me one day and says “what’d you do with the comforter you used to have in the guest room?  I liked it better”. ?

* “Are you still working?  I thought it wasn’t going to take this long.”  (Ok, that one’s not fair, I was hiding in the basement part of that time).  ☺️

* Why don’t you tell him to _______?”

* I thought you made (husband) feed that dog downstairs?  Why don’t you make him DO that?   [Because the dog is ELEVEN and not a breed known for longevity and because at this point, the dog is WAY higher on my love meter than you.]  ?

*  when I tell her my DIL has asked me to keep the children for a few hours, “but you said NO, right, because I’m here to visit you and that would be rude right?” [Or because you’re too busy, or too tired, or too ______].   This advice rendered knowing that I always feel on shaky ground with the DIL, as I am silly and blunt but rarely serious, while said DIL is ALWAYS serious, never plays jokes or makes offhand comments and is easily wounded.  And if that DIL asked me for my right foot, I would probably hack it right off.  (DIL is the gatekeeper for my grands and my son, so...)  ?

Why am I telling this now?  I have no idea.  Bored I guess.

Today, FedEx came up my driveway to leave the first Christmas gift.  First time in MANY years I’m trying to take care of (at least some Christmas) by myself.  My other DIL looooves to shop and I do not.  I don’t mind shopping online, and am a frequent flier, but I hate the whole mega monster Christmas has become.  Normally, my DIL tells me what I need to do about Christmas, I give her the money and she makes it happen.  I’m a firm believer that everyone needs a DIL who loves to take care of Christmas.  She’s a champ.  I’ll get as far as I can, and dump the rest in her lap.  Has anyone else started?  Is anyone done?

and what about Thanksgiving?  Is it really here already?  What are some of your favorite things to cook?  Or maybe your family’s favorite to eat?   More randomness: I grew up with mayonnaise.  Never in a million years would I think a kitchen was complete without mayo.  Would you believe I have 3 children who would DIE before eating mayo or anything with mayo in it?  I don’t eat it straight from a jar, but mayo definitely has a place in tuna or chicken salad, or a properly made sandwich.  Or ranch dressing!  In the south, ranch dressing is as necessary as grits.  

I am just rambling like a nut tonight.  

• Love 16

My grandkids are ugly as sin, so I won’t inflict them on you.  Only kidding...they are all handsome and beautiful, but too old for me to post their pictures, too. Keep the adorable baby pictures coming....I so miss the precious baby stages. 

• Love 5

@Happyfatchick, I have a sister who sounds a lot like your friend. I'm the youngest of 3 siblings, my brother is the oldest, then my sister then 5 years later I came along.  When I was 23 a close relative died and us 3 siblings inherited  a good amount of money. It wasn't quit your job and move to an island money but to me it was a lot.   Before we received the money, I had always pictured how I wanted my life to be, I had an exact plan in mind, I would get my degree,  a job with the best retirement benefits i could find, work my ass off and retire to the country as soon as I could.   Within a year my brother and sister had spent almost all of their money and I hadn't touched mine yet.  A few years later I had a chance to buy 40 acres of property right in the area I'd planned to retire. I snatched it up fast. 

I had a camper on my land and went up to stay every chance I got. My cousin and his husband are contractors and we started putting some plans together. I was in no hurry because I knew I couldn't live out there for a while yet so it took about ten years to build my cabin. No loans, no mortgage, we would figure out what needed to be done next and I would save until I had enough and they'd go build it.  I paid for all materials and all my cousins wanted in return was a few acres on the other side of my land. I gave them 6. 

I've been retired and I'm my house for a few years now (best years of my life!!) And my sister still seems to think I owe her part of my money and/or my land.  She seems to think that since I "gave" our cousin some property I should also give some to her, never mind the fact that they built my house. She's been on me for years and years.  I finally cut her out a while back. I love my sister but in my opinion I don't owe her a damn thing. If she was a nice person I would have helped her more. 

Love mayonnaise, hate mustard. I can't even stand the smell of it and I don't think I've ever bought any in my life.   Ranch dressing is the YUM!

Pardon any errors please.  I'm kicked back in front of the fire with a large glass of wine.  It's cold and windy tonight. Love it. 

Edited by Talky Tina
  • Love 22

@Happyfatchick you are 100% correct about folding towels. I fold them in half lengthwise and then in thirds. It's just the way they're supposed to be.

I grew up thinking I hated mayonnaise but it turns out that was because my parents only ever had Miracle Whip, which may be whipped but is no miracle.

(I have been done with Christmas shopping for a few weeks now but I am part Christmas elf and cannot help myself.)

And as of Friday evening, I was doing Thanksgiving for just my husband and me but 12 hours later and I'm doing Thanksgiving for eight and we had to buy another table. Fortunately, I love this stuff.

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

@Talky Tina your home sounds wonderful (and I’m a die hard city girl). 

Thanks. It basically a log cabin right in the middle of of the property.  I love the look and feel of log cabins.  It's a pretty simple place. Kitchen with big family type room my bedroom and a guest room and a couple of bathrooms. Nothing fancy but it's all mine and I watched it grow from a foundation to my house!  I like the city too, I lived and worked there for many years, I just knew I wanted the country when I retired. 

@jcbrown, I'm all finished with my Christmas shopping too. I'm waiting for a Roomba to arrive and then I'll start wrapping everything.  It's a great feeling to be done and to not have to stress isn't it?! 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Love2dance said:

My grandkids are ugly as sin, so I won’t inflict them on you.  

Said no grandmother EVER

i have to tell the story of the crossed arms pic.  This kid is the boss.  I mean it, she will BE President one day.  She’s 2.   They were at a birthday party.  She sees the mother setting up the table, and she sees cupcakes being set out.  “I want a cupcake!” She announces.  Her mom explains that she can have a cupcake when everybody has a cupcake.  The resulting stare down... hilarious!!!   

She is the kid I was talking about when I said to her daddy all those years ago “oh man, I hope you have a kid JUST LIKE YOU someday”.  

94366257-1D7B-4B0F-AE66-117C74515E49.jpeg

C95258F9-35B9-4EF3-BC05-F536F97217E8.jpeg

• Love 13
59 minutes ago, Happyfatchick said:

Said no grandmother EVER

i have to tell the story of the crossed arms pic.  This kid is the boss.  I mean it, she will BE President one day.  She’s 2.   They were at a birthday party.  She sees the mother setting up the table, and she sees cupcakes being set out.  “I want a cupcake!” She announces.  Her mom explains that she can have a cupcake when everybody has a cupcake.  The resulting stare down... hilarious!!!   

She is the kid I was talking about when I said to her daddy all those years ago “oh man, I hope you have a kid JUST LIKE YOU someday”.  

94366257-1D7B-4B0F-AE66-117C74515E49.jpeg

C95258F9-35B9-4EF3-BC05-F536F97217E8.jpeg

She ABSOLUTELY has the look, and WILL be president some day! 

Of course towels are folded in thirds. It’s the law.

I have huge Thanksgiving anxiety now as my family is going through all kinds of dumb drama, and now that I know some of you have started, or even are done with Christmas shopping, I have major Christmas anxiety, too. Sigh.

Edited by Love2dance
comma
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Happyfatchick said:

Y’all, I’m going to vent.  I have this friend who lives far far away from me in Indiana.  I know she’s very jealous of my life - and truly, I do have a pretty good life.  We aren’t wealthy, but we are content.  We are very simple people.  I’ve been through real life.  I’ve cried real tears, I’ve counted my change in the grocery store.  I’ve taken my kids for cheap pizza and come up a quarter short.  Put .74 in a gas tank.   I did my time.  I’m smart enough, and stubborn enough, and determined enough to have lived through some stuff.  Been there, done that. I have real, genuine empathy.  And because I can, I’m good to her in subtle ways.  

In return, she’s very bossy and condescending and tells me what I “should” do in every situation.  She tells me I’m not cold when clearly  I feel cold.  She’s kind of a nag.  She has two grown boys that don’t spend much time with her (go figure).  She has a voice like Tony Soprano’s mother.  I love her, I truly do.  Or I’ve managed to keep this human pet longer than others.  (I’m a magnet for weirdness.  My husband tells me this all the time).  Couple times a year, she comes to see me.  She usually drives alone and I fret for her all the way down.  Love her, but am always worried my brain counting down minutes till her departure is actually audible.   

Here are some random conversations we had during her last visit a few weeks ago.

* She comes into my room while I’m folding underwear.  Happens to be my husbands, but yes, I’m an underwear folder.  It takes up less space, it fits neatly in the space allocated for underwear, and I just like the tidiness of opening a drawer and seeing it in its spot.  

“You’re folding underwear?????”  I look up totally taken aback.  So... you don’t fold underwear?  I start stammering around about why I DO, in fact, fold underwear, and she CACKLES out with a laugh and says “OMG, and you’re actually proud of this fact, that you fold underwear!!!”  ?  is this a “thing”?  Am I the only person in the free world who folds underwear?  (Furthermore, I unfold and refold towels that aren’t folded in 3 sections.  I think that may seriously be a defect.  Things must be folded correctly or maybe bad things will happen.)

* She comes to me one day and says “what’d you do with the comforter you used to have in the guest room?  I liked it better”. ?

* “Are you still working?  I thought it wasn’t going to take this long.”  (Ok, that one’s not fair, I was hiding in the basement part of that time).  ☺️

* I thought you made (husband) feed that dog downstairs?  Why don’t you make him DO that?   [Because the dog is ELEVEN and not a breed known for longevity and because at this point, the dog is WAY higher on my love meter than you.]  ?

*  when I tell her my DIL has asked me to keep the children for a few hours, “but you said NO, right, because I’m here to visit you and that would be rude right?” [Or because you’re too busy, or too tired, or too ______].   This advice rendered knowing that I always feel on shaky ground with the DIL, as I am silly and blunt but rarely serious, while said DIL is ALWAYS serious, never plays jokes or makes offhand comments and is easily wounded.  And if that DIL asked me for my right foot, I would probably hack it right off.  (DIL is the gatekeeper for my grands and my son, so...)  ?

Today, FedEx came up my driveway to leave the first Christmas gift.  First time in MANY years I’m trying to take care of (at least some Christmas) by myself.  My other DIL looooves to shop and I do not.  I don’t mind shopping online, and am a frequent flier, but I hate the whole mega monster Christmas has become.  Normally, my DIL tells me what I need to do about Christmas, I give her the money and she makes it happen.  I’m a firm believer that everyone needs a DIL who loves to take care of Christmas.  She’s a champ.  I’ll get as far as I can, and dump the rest in her lap.  Has anyone else started?  Is anyone done?

and what about Thanksgiving?  Is it really here already?  What are some of your favorite things to cook?  Or maybe your family’s favorite to eat?   More randomness: I grew up with mayonnaise.  Never in a million years would I think a kitchen was complete without mayo.  Would you believe I have 3 children who would DIE before eating mayo or anything with mayo in it?  I don’t eat it straight from a jar, but mayo definitely has a place in tuna or chicken salad, or a properly made sandwich.  Or ranch dressing!  In the south, ranch dressing is as necessary as grits.  

I just love opening a drawer of neatly folded underwear. How will you find your favorite pairs otherwise?

• Love 9
9 hours ago, Happyfatchick said:

I’ve managed to keep this human pet longer than others.  (I’m a magnet for weirdness.  My husband tells me this all the time).

I get told that about a few people that I still have in my life. I hate it when others feel free to tell me to dump them because they are sad puppies. A few of these people (who also gratefully live far away) really have nobody else in their lives to make them feel good about themselves or recognize any of their accomplishments. I tell all the other naysayers that I’m loyal and since they don’t have to deal with them, don’t bother me about my choice to be friends with them. 

• Love 7

I am not an underwear folderer because I am lazy AF. My kids are teens so no pics

I have a general idea of what I'm doing gift wise for Christmas. I have one gift finished and it's sitting upstairs. I don't think I will be able to finish another by Christmas but we won't be seeing them so I'm not fussed. The daughter is turning 13 Dec 21, so I've also been scouting out birthday stuff, too. But it's going to be a real quiet Christmas by us and I am quite happy with that.

Thanksgiving we changed things up a bit this year. First, I should note that Mr. Toast went to college in this area so when we moved here 14 years ago, we had a family friend that we spend a lot of time with. Their son is a year younger than ours, his mom calls Mr. Toast the good son. We go on vacation together sometimes. We spend Thanksgiving and Christmas together sometimes. I should also note that we have two goofy greyhounds and we can't bring them to friend's house AND Mr. Toast has celiac disease so we offer to host a lot. Also, the mom/nana has bad knees/back and stuff and we'd like to make it easier for her. She really wants to host Thanksgiving. Mr. Toast's family would really like him to travel to see them. So this year I suggested a change up. We are hosting a "Friendsgiving" on Sunday so we can all get together and Mr.Toast can get to see his family, my mom can work on Friday and adopted mom can host her own. My kids have taken the Friendsgiving part to heart and have invited some of their friends too. Instead of making a turkey and all the trimmings, we're going to do Swedish meatballs and we're tweaking a "Thanksgiving" meatball. On actual Thanksgiving I'm going to be snuggled on my couch with my doggos watching the parade and eating throughout the day. Adopted mom is all if you get lonely come over and I'm all, this is heaven.

• Love 12

Towels absolutely must be folded into thirds. Half fold length wise, then then half fold again, then into thirds.  And the decorative seam or band must be on the outside or I’ll refold it.  Same for washcloths, hand towels and dish towels... seam on the outisde.  I also fold underwear since I have like 45 pairs.  

No Christmas shopping this year.  We’re taking the fam to the Caribbean for Spring Break so they’re willing to forego gifts.  That’s been working since we took the first trip to Disney.  They already have everything anyway.

• Love 12
11 hours ago, Talky Tina said:

I've been retired and I'm my house for a few years now (best years of my life!!) And my sister still seems to think I owe her part of my money and/or my land.  She seems to think that since I "gave" our cousin some property I should also give some to her, never mind the fact that they built my house. She's been on me for years and years.  I finally cut her out a while back. I love my sister but in my opinion I don't owe her a damn thing. If she was a nice person I would have helped her more. 

I have a friend whose sister is 20 years older than her and owns a very nice condo in a retirement village. The sister is 83 and my friend frequently "reminds" her that when she dies, friend gets her condo. It drives her sister nuts because she worked all her adult life and didn't retire until she was 70. I love my friend, but she's 63, has been on SSI since her 30s because of migraines, resents people who are employed and have money, plus she thinks she's entitled to anything she wants. She has literally come to my house and taken garbage bags, food, and dishes because she was out or she liked them and "didn't think I'd mind". On the flip side, she listens when I whine and is the first person I call when my car won't start or I'm too depressed to get out of bed, so it evens out in the end for me. 

• Love 7

This year for Christmas I'm doing something new for me. I'm making wreaths made out of tied on pieces of hard candy like Jolly Ranchers, tootsie rolls, Werthers, etc. People can either undo the candy wrapper to get to the candy or I tie on a small pair of scissors when done. I've already  finished two- one going to my mom's assisted living & the other for son's office.  The next couple will be for my home nurses.  I made them when I was growing up & who doesn't like a piece of candy every now & then?  My sister,  who is my angel & helps me so much is getting a special one made up of Lindt chocolate bon bons.

I didn't know how my hands would be with my rheumatoid arthritis but have had no problems so far with all the tying. 

@Happyfatchick, my husband also loves his mayo.  When we have takeout subs, not only does he have the sub place put mayo on his but he adds it at home too.  He also folds our towels in thirds. 

Your granddaughter looks like she can take on the world. 

@Talky Tina, your cabin sounds great & what a joy it must give you knowing you did it yourself. 

• Love 6

This Christmas is silver based for my younger son so I have been buying silver dimes and quarters. As a result of buying what many consider "prepper money" I am now being stalked by ads for posters of well endowed young women wearing US flag bikinis holding giant weapons in front of classic muscle cars. Go figure. I like muscle cars but have no interest in the rest of it. My son would probably be interested but it wouldn't earn me any Brownie points with his wife!

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:I get told that about a few people that I still have in my life. I hate it when others feel free to tell me to dump them because they are sad puppies. 

Everybody always tells us to dump sad puppies.  I can deal with some pretty constant sadness, but if I let it, it overwhelms me.  I still, after all the years I’ve lived, think I have to save the world, one sad puppy at a time.  I worked a quick succession (about 2 yrs each) where the work was pulled and sent offshore (thank you, NAFTA!).  I was HR manager, so the last to leave each time, and also having the benefit of having a transferable career.  But.  I used to always say “you know, ? rolls downhill, and guess what’s at the bottom of the hill?  The door to the HR offices”.  Craaaaaaaaaay cray.  And you all know I’m up for a good laugh - sometimes I’d have these sad sacks crying about stuff (often outside of work issues) and I’d be sitting there looking all sympathetic while telling myself DO NOT THINK ABOUT THIS.  I wanted to fix everything, yes, but I also wanted to get the church giggles.  

[Crying over:  I think my fiancé is seeing my moms sisters daughters best friend behind my back (small town, LOTS of those tales).  Or I KNOW I’ve been late 55 times and you done gave me another chanst, but I neeeeeed my job!  Or (personal fave) I know that paperwork says I had drugs in my system, but I promise you I was not doin no drugs!!!  Somebody was smokin weed in my car, and that’s how I got that false positive.  Really!  I swar to Gawd that’s what happened!!  Once I had a guy test positive after attending an open air concert where someone in that crowd was smoking dope and that’s how he tested positive. Yyyyyyyyyyep.]

But also, for MY personality type, and obviously @Mindthinkr as well, my ability to empathize and see all sides makes me gather people who think somehow that I’m their new bestie.  Some of the characters , oh my goodness, I really COULD write a book.   I worked at Carters, the baby clothes company.  In that job, I attracted a woman who told me every day how much she loved me.  How she couldn’t live without me.  One day, several supervisors and myself were in a loose group and someone mentioned a friend I’d had there who’d left for another job.  Someone asked how she was doing, and I said, “I have GOT to call and check on her”.  About 20 minutes later, I happened to need the other “needy, clingy” one.  I asked someone if they’d seen her and she says “she left”.   Why?  “I dunno”, she says.  “Right after we was talkin, she said she needed to leave.  She was all red faced and looked upset.  I figured you knew”.   Welp.  Turns out she was upset because I mentioned calling my old friend.  GUH!!!  I couldn’t BELIEVE it.  How WEIRD!!!

and oh ma lawd, if you could have been around when I gave my notice.  I left that job, which I loved, because I could not peel that girl off.  (My husband used to say she was a malignant tumor).  Always depressed, always crying, always clinging.  So seriously, I’d been offered another job running more than HR, better $, closer commute and I took it to get away from her.  I’m trying to pack my things, she’s in my office crying her eyeballs out.  Keeps grabbing at my hands, trying to make me reconsider.  J,M AND J, let me OUT already!!!

and then guess what?  I went to the other company, a subsidiary of a bus manufacturer.   The CEO of my division said he believed he had the most talented people on the planet, but he wasn’t a leader, and knew it.  He wanted me to go in and manage the “people” and get them pulling the sled altogether as a cohesive work group. I did that, and it worked.  We turned our little sailboat around and got it heading in the right direction.  He really did have amazingly talented people, I just had to get them on the same team.  We were making money in our little division hand over fist.  But.  Six months or so in, the mother ship sank like a rock.  A big rock.  And we were lost as a result.  That was #3 for me in my plant closure history.

Another time, we (hubs and I) had grown close with our owner in a small company. We bought out the back (repair) end of his business.  Got it stable and running - I saw the light and departed to do my embroidery thing.  Then the owner was diagnosed with inoperable pancreatic cancer.   Before he died, on his deathbed, he tells me he’s depending on me to take care of his wife.  She literally has no one else.   I’ve known her for a decade at this point, but I said I’d try.  She was a taller, skinnier, louder, drunker version of my pal from Carters.  I tried SOOOOO hard to hold her up.  To help her.  She wrecked her car once a week, switched to his truck and wrecked that too.  Her car was impounded.  She was arrested.  Her dog was confiscated.  Every.Single.Week I had to go rescue her from some disaster.  And the next and the next and the next.  Finally, I got her into a rehab program in Cali.  I SO  NEEDED her to get help.  I was willing to be there for her, but I NEEEEEEEEDED her to meet me halfway.  A quarter of the way.  A TENTH of the way.  I thought maybe as far as the west coast would work.  Nnnnnnnope.  She was a boomerang.  Two days later she’s calling, and she’s drunk.   [it is noteworthy that I was ALSO the primary caregiver for my mother, who had Alzheimer’s and was a type I diabetic at that time].  I can read that and know I should have walked away - and finally did because she would not get treatment - but it remains one of the hardest things I ever did and I still feel real guilt over that.  

• Love 5

@Happyfatchick You have nothing to feel guilty about. The reason that they can’t straighten their lives out is because they never want to accept their part in any failures or take on responsibility. I know a girl who constantly cries poverty. Yet she owns two falling down to the ground houses. One is on a prime beach and if she sold just that one she’d have enough money to fix her primary residence up. But no. Whine whine whine. Eventually I had to distance myself because it was a one way street. I’d introduce her to friends and they’d say just don’t invite me next time if Debbie Downer is coming. Now I still talk to her on occasion, but why should I feel the pressure of solving her problems when she clearly doesn’t want to herself. I’ve gone over plans of attack, budgets, ways she could find a full time job (oh yea, she is self employed because it’s too much for her to show up on time and she’s like the person you described above who has a million excuses) and find a social circle that she would fit more into. Even her family is exasperated. When I’ve invited her over to eat it’s not unheard of for her to just not show up (no call or text) after I made sure to confirm with it her in the am. I’d cook (from scratch) all this fabulous food just to be left with eating it all week because in her “shame” she’d do her disappearing act. Wow. That was a vent. I have 2 other friends from HS (many many moons ago). I think the one has an undiagnosed case of Aspergers and nobody else has the patience to listen to him talk about the one subject that he is a bon savant in except myself. He’s even become distanced from his brother so I feel guilty if I don’t do a little (emphasis on little because one year I tried to organize a small party for him and he told all of his pseudo friends that I was paying for dinner out so 6 users showed up) for him at Christmas or his birthday. Last time I went to visit him it was 95 degrees in the room I was staying in because he was too cheap to turn on the a/c. The other is a VN vet with disabilities and too angry to make friends or trust people he hasn’t known forever. 

I have to remain the better person and continue to mother these puppies, but I’ve weaned them and have begun to concentrate on a fuller life for myself. I’ve worked in Hospice care and just need something upbeat in my life at times. 

I’ll stop bending y’all’s ears now. Sorry for the rant. HFC...I get where you are coming from. It has to be worse for you because you are stuck with some of yours on a daily basis and even a move doesn’t afford you any relief. Be well. 

• Love 6

I read a book about how to fold and store clothes. I fold everything, even underwear.  My drawers and closet are picture-perfect neat, and have been ever since I started folding.  Now, I really wish the rest of my house was this neat.  I inherited some furniture, so I have much too much, and I like books and collections, and there are at least a million cat toys. My house is at least clean, if not actually neat.....sort of the lived-in look.  But my drawers and closet stay very neat and tidy with very little effort, thanks to folding.

• Love 5

I fold underwear and match up socks.  And like my towels folded a certain way because they fit on the shelf better.  I have "divorced" a friend or two if they make me too crazy to put up with that crap.  I give them lots of chances and try and understand where they are coming from, but, at some point, that is it.

We go to the PNW for Thanksgiving where the oldest son and family (and grands) live.  I make the turkey, the mashed potatoes and one of the desserts.  Daughter in law does many more desserts, and some sides, and her sister brings a recipe that their mother used to make.  No one seems to like it anymore, but, it is part of our holiday.  Daughter in law and sister's parents, son's inlaws, were wonderful, but sadly they have both passed.  We all miss them.  We always have the canned cranberry sauce, one of each.  

Re: Mayo, not a fan.  I can take a small amt. to hold together tuna or chicken salad, but don't put it on a sandwich and if any of those salads, or coleslaw or potato salad is "wet", I just can't do it.  I make potato salad with an oil and vinegar dressing.  Funny enough, when Mr. lookeyloo and I got together all those years ago, he said he didn't like mayo.  A match made in the oil and vinegar line!!

• Love 5

@Ijustwantsomechips, yes!  That is absolutely the correct fold method.  I’m guessing (don’t remember for sure) I once had a shelf that required towels to be that exact length and now they don’t look right unless they are.

@lookeyloo, that mayo thing is so bizarre.  I don’t know how non-mayo eaters find each other.  I mentioned none of my kids eat mayo, and not one of their spouses do either.  Which ultimately means none of THEIR kids will eat it, because they’ll never be introduced to it.  That must have been a first date question.  Do you eat mayonnaise?  Ugh, NO!  (Immediately causing their infatuation meters to ping like crazy).   

Someone upthread mentioned Miracle Whip.  My granny, who lived with us until she died, was a HUGE fan.   I was not.  When I saw that earlier, I wondered, “do they even make that junk any more?”  They DO !!!  I just saw it at WM.  ha!

• Love 2

I do NOT like mayo. Never have. ?

I cannot remember who recommended the Lucky Champ litter box to me for my very senior kitty Mr Norris but thank you! It finally arrived (back order), it’s NICE!! Very big, the design looks well. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

I read a book about how to fold and store clothes. I fold everything, even underwear.  My drawers and closet are picture-perfect neat, and have been ever since I started folding.  Now, I really wish the rest of my house was this neat.  I inherited some furniture, so I have much too much, and I like books and collections, and there are at least a million cat toys. My house is at least clean, if not actually neat.....sort of the lived-in look.  But my drawers and closet stay very neat and tidy with very little effort, thanks to folding.

Mr. Dance is the same way. His drawers and closets are military perfect. Shoes perfectly lined up and polished.

But his man cave and bathroom look like a hoarder’s residence where a tornado hit. Stuff everywhere. He is clean, but not at all neat except in drawers or closets. The rest of our house would look the same, I’m sure, if I let it. But I need a certain semblance of order and neatness. 

I LOVE mayonnaise. Can hardly get enough of it on a tuna, turkey, chicken, BLT, or egg salad sandwich. I need to ask for extra on the side in a restaurant. I discovered it after I moved out of my mom’s home where Miricle Whip was used. Ugh.

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, Love2dance said:

I LOVE mayonnaise. Can hardly get enough of it on a tuna, turkey, chicken, BLT, or egg salad sandwich. I need to ask for extra on the side in a restaurant. I discovered it after I moved out of my mom’s home where Miricle Whip was used. Ugh.

Me, too! I never understood why anyone liked mayo until I moved out of my parents' house and realized that they only ever had Miracle Whip. Now I get aioli with my fries when I can and used to give a side-eye to the cafeteria people at my work who would just show the mayo container to your sandwich if you asked them to include it. 

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Westiepeach said:

Full disclosure. I have made my own mayo from scratch. It is unbelievable. 

I just knew you had.  

My mom made mayo only once.  I was too young at the time to remember much except the teasing that ensued after.  I do, however, remember the time she made ketchup.  The rule was, “you rotten kids are gonna EAT this ketchup.  I’m not buying any more until you eat up this batch.”  Consequently, that’s the first time I recall having a sense of community with my older brothers.  They were pretty sure either of them had the potential to die a slow and painful death if they got caught sabotaging the ketchup.  They decided it would be much, much safer if their baby sister took care of the ketchup.  About every other week, one of them would hand me a bottle of ketchup and give me a push.  I’d hide it until I could safely get out to play.  And I’d go to the edge of the woods and repeatedly throw the jar at a tree until it broke.  I never exactly got caught, although my Mama mentioned one night that she was confused...seemed to her like we had plenty of that ketchup left and now it seems to be getting low already.

Edited by Happyfatchick
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, Catfin said:

Make an aoli with truffle salt or essence. 

You can make a delicious vegan mayo with aquafaba (I think that's what it's called - the liquid in a can of chickpeas - it can be used in place of eggs/egg whites in a variety of things). My vegan cousin made some when she was visiting. It doesn't taste entirely like mayo, but it's very yummy and has a similar lush texture. Adding a few drops of truffle oil sounds as though it would make it really decadent tasting. The only thing is that it tends to want to separate after a few hours. But for immediate use it is great, and I'll definitely be making it again despite not being vegan or vegetarian.

As far as the folding thing, I fold Mr Jyn's underwear, but not my own. He has a lot more than I do, however. I mostly have the shapewear variety which are more expensive, thus I pretty much rotate between  five or six pairs and do a lot of hand-washing of them in between. Towels get folded in half lengthwise, then sort of flipped  into thirds like an accordion. Is that what others are describing? It's hard to tell.

I'm not a terribly neat or organized person, so it's not unusual to see some clutter around my house, but it stays within the realm of presentability insofar as I wouldn't think someone coming in would feel as though they needed a hazmat suit or anything. It's basically clean, anyway...though I probably don't vacuum quite as often as I might. I hope that people who might come in won't judge me too severely.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Happyfatchick said:

I just knew you had.  

My mom made mayo only once.  I was too young at the time to remember much except the teasing that ensued after.  I do, however, remember the time she made ketchup.  The rule was, “you rotten kids are gonna EAT this ketchup.  I’m not buying any more until you eat up this batch.”  Consequently, that’s the first time I recall having a sense of community with my older brothers.  They were pretty sure either of them had the potential to die a slow and painful death if they got caught sabotaging the ketchup.  They decided it would be much, much safer if their baby sister took care of the ketchup.  About every other week, one of them would hand me a bottle of ketchup and give me a push.  I’d hide it until I could safely get out to play.  And I’d go to the edge of the woods and repeatedly throw the jar at a tree until it broke.  I never exactly got caught, although my Mama mentioned one night that she was confused...seemed to her like we had plenty of that ketchup left and now it seems to be getting low already.

LOL!

I also make my own ketchup from our tomatoes. It is the BEST thing ever. Stupid easy, too, just takes time. I have a few containers in the freezer and I'll probably make some more soon!

On 11/13/2018 at 6:51 PM, Happyfatchick said:

Fellow mayo hater here!  Don't want to smell it, touch it, eat it.  But I buy it for the husband.  I have even made it for him a few times standing FAR away from the mixer so I didn't smell it. 

For the 1st time I have started my Xmas shopping early.  Got my supplies for making my cookies for my staff and the building operation staff plus all the boxes for them (in return, the ops staff usually give me enchiladas and tamales!).  I try to get my staff their goodies by Dead Week so they can munch while stressed.  Not sure how I am going to manage that with 7 straight days of late night events before DW but will figure it out.  Love my kids!  Well they belong to others but they are mine for up to 4 years!

I have a friend that is trying and I count down to the end of the visit.  I end up waiting on her and talking about her problems.  Lots of fun.  I have known her since we were kids and I love her but man she is exhausting.

We are doing a small Tday for just the 2 of us.  I am not a huge turkey fan so I am just buying him turkey drumsticks and we are making some sides.  What I am most looking forward to is the chocolate mousse we are having for dessert.  This is my least favorite holiday meal.  Luckily Sunday I am getting my eating on!  We are celebrating a 90th bday with brunch at the Biltmore and the pink champagne cake from Madonna Inn.  Xmas is Mexican food which I am REALLY looking forward to.  We are talking about doing chocolate as well as cheese fondue for New Years.    

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

Fellow mayo hater here!  Don't want to smell it, touch it, eat it.  But I buy it for the husband.  I have even made it for him a few times standing FAR away from the mixer so I didn't smell it. 

For the 1st time I have started my Xmas shopping early.  Got my supplies for making my cookies for my staff and the building operation staff plus all the boxes for them (in return, the ops staff usually give me enchiladas and tamales!).  I try to get my staff their goodies by Dead Week so they can munch while stressed.  Not sure how I am going to manage that with 7 straight days of late night events before DW but will figure it out.  Love my kids!  Well they belong to others but they are mine for up to 4 years!

I have a friend that is trying and I count down to the end of the visit.  I end up waiting on her and talking about her problems.  Lots of fun.  I have known her since we were kids and I love her but man she is exhausting.

We are doing a small Tday for just the 2 of us.  I am not a huge turkey fan so I am just buying him turkey drumsticks and we are making some sides.  What I am most looking forward to is the chocolate mousse we are having for dessert.  This is my least favorite holiday meal.  Luckily Sunday I am getting my eating on!  We are celebrating a 90th bday with brunch at the Biltmore and the pink champagne cake from Madonna Inn.  Xmas is Mexican food which I am REALLY looking forward to.  We are talking about doing chocolate as well as cheese fondue for New Years.    

madonna inn!!!!   if we are talking about the same place (up in central cali i believe) , what fun.

ps: mayo makes me gag!

Edited by zoomama
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, zoomama said:

madonna inn!!!!   if we are talking about the same place (up in central cali i believe) , what fun.

ps: mayo makes me gag!

It is that place (in San Luis Obispo)!  I grew up in Cambria so we went there for holidays sometimes and we would get this cake for some celebrations. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Natalie68 said:

I know you will enjoy your other meals.  Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday.  No religion, no presents, love the food!  I love the diversity of our group.  

• Love 9
18 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

I know you will enjoy your other meals.  Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday.  No religion, no presents, love the food!  I love the diversity of our group.  

Mine too!  It is truly inclusive and for everyone to enjoy.  Even for us vegetarians!

(Coming out of lurkerdom for Thanksgiving appreciation.)

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

It is that place (in San Luis Obispo)!  I grew up in Cambria so we went there for holidays sometimes and we would get this cake for some celebrations. 

Is it still pink? I loved that place when I visited back in the '80's.

21 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Is it still pink? I loved that place when I visited back in the '80's.

Yep!  It hasn't changed since I started going in the early 70's.  It always looked like Disney to me.  It was disappointing there were no rides :).

• Love 1
1 hour ago, lookeyloo said:

It is my husband's favorite as well.  So we are having it.  It makes him so happy!   I am looking forward to my family getting together Sunday as well as Xmas.  There aren't too many of us left and with 2 of them moving out of state I am not sure how often we will see each other in the future.  I really wish they would stay in the area.  

• Love 3

Ok guys...I know these problems aren't the worst in the world, but I have just had the worst. Freaking. Day. Ever. I just really need to vent. And I can't sleep because it's just been so awful!

First started the day with a horrible headache. Just felt terrible upon getting out of bed. It's been raining here all week and it SUCKS. It's been throbbing all across my head and the back of my neck allllll freaking day.

So about a month ago maybe, I decided I was finally emotionally ready to date again. I've been open to it for a while in real life, and was very disappointed when a guy I met IRL stood me up for a date and ghosted me a couple weeks ago. Anyway, that made me more determined to get back online. After all, I was feeling really positive and happy overall, finally over my ex, and excited about dating. I wanted to wait until it seemed like it wasn't a chore. I met this guy and we have been talking a lot. We haven't met in person yet for what seemed like legit reasons, and it's only been a couple weeks. Anyway, we have been talking on the phone every night, and texting all the time, and he just seems smitten with me!!! Like...infatuated, honestly. He thinks I'm gorgeous, but seems the most enthralled with my MIND! He claims to love hearing about me being s musician, as well as the things I write. It has just been so wonderful getting to know him! Now, of course I know i might have met him in person and not been interested, and that would have sucked a little, but we could maybe even still be friends, with our strong connection. Last night he was particularly emotional, saying he felt so close to me already, he couldn't wait to meet my friends, hoped to even meet my parents one day, was making plans to take me to the nutcracker, etc. He said a while ago that he wasn't talking to anybody else, because he felt so strongly this was likely to be a real relationship for him. He said he hoped things go well when we meet, and we get married one day, and all this stuff. Now...I have online dated for years, and been around the block a time or two. I know a lot of douchebags say this kind of stuff, and make over the moon promises. Since about 22, I have been smart enough not to believe any of that crap. This guy seemed so sincere, though, and we really were starting to know each other well. I had a great relationship that started really similarly to this one time, so even though this guy was being a little over the top, I thought it was headed somewhere. 

...so I wake up to a text that he can't attend our date Saturday, and he'll "let me know when he's available again."

this set off red flags, so I went and did something semi-fun to keep my mind busy. Then I get an email IMMEDIATELY that says I'm basically not even being considered for this job I really wanted! I'm very qualified and have connections with that company. A friend of mine who is way less qualified got an offer there (though at a different location)...but I wasn't even considered! I was sure I'd at least get an interview! So i was majorly down about this alllll day. I couldn't even think about anything else. I decided to give myself the afternoon off from job searching and just relax, but it was a major blow. The reality is sooner rather than later, I need to find a job. The thought started to creep in...what if I never do?

So I tried to keep busy, but just felt so depressed about the job, and somewhat annoyed at the guy. Sooooo...I had dinner, and then got a panic attack after dinner!!! I felt so much anxiety, and like I was going to die. I very occasionally get them, usually after some trigger like aspirin or caffeine. No real trigger this time...stress doesn't usually do it, but I suppose it does now! I felt HORRIBLE for like two hours, just sitting on the couch, focusing on my pet birds just to try to bring myself back to reality. You just reeeeally feel like you're gonna die, and yeah, the headache got way worse.

So then I realize the guy should be off work. I go to our text stream, and realized neither of my texts from today have been delivered. Weird! I reasoned that maybe he had his phone off at work, but as it got later, I got more suspicious. I called him and it went straight to voicemail, so I had a friend call and it rang three times. He f****** blocked me!!!!! Wtf?! After he poured his heart out to me last night, about how close he felt to me and all that...I just feel like the stupidest person on earth! I thought this relationship had a real shot! And I am the first person to say I usually take it really slow in online relationships as far as sharing a lot of info and getting attached, and usually meet the person really soon to avoid conversing too long if we're not a match. I'm not some dumb schoolgirl who believes every promise under the moon. I really, really thought this guy was sincere! He put so much time and effort into getting to know me, and seemed happy with everything I said. It's just like going out onto an empty road and being hit by a semi truck! Maybe he scared himself off with the intensity of his feelings, or maybe he was just f***** with me the whole time! I don't know, and both situations make me feel like crap.

like...I know people are dying of cancer and going through a lot worse stuff than this, but it's just been the most horrible day in the world!!! It's sucked big time from beginning to end. I just really feel like there's no point in dating, but I want to be a wife and mother so bad! I've also dated enough that I'm smart enough not to say stuff like that to guys, lol. To make it even worse, I talked to a guy friend, and he just assumed I was making mistakes like texting him back right away and acting too eager. That is never me, though. The GUYS I talk to ALWAYS act embarrassingly eager, while i'm the cooler one. I'm no dating rookie, making easily avoided mistakes! I just feel like there is something horrible about me that everyone sees but me, my friends, and my family. I see awful, rude, easily angered girls who aren't attractive physically getting married to great guys left and right, and it just doesn't make sense. Everyone tells me that I'm one of the kindest / sweetest / smartest people they know, and objectively I'm attractive (not supermodel looks, but I used to place in beauty pageants and I really try as far as my appearance goes). I have a lot of hobbies and am very responsible too; I keep my apartment spotless, I take care of my body and health, and i'm great with things like money / alcohol / etc that other people are irresponsible with. I just don't get it. I'm 31 and so tired of playing this stupid little middle school dating game, when everyone else has what I want. My friends have called me a future soccer mom since I was like thirteen! Now all the party girls have great husbands and I don't.  And as far as getting a job, I don't feel like anyone sees my potential there either. I'm qualified to teach, and it seems like not much else. What are all these people leaving teaching for high paying jobs doing? Most days I am content, and don't feel this bad about myself. Most days, I can keep perspective, have a positive attitude, and see the big picture. I usually have pretty healthy self-esteem, and if someone rejects me, I just think of it as a bullet dodged. Not today, though. today has just sucked!

/end rant. Just feels good to rant when you're still awake in the middle of the night because you're hurt / pissed off and your head is throbbing. Tomorrow HAS TO BE BETTER. I thought about watching gone with the wind tonight just to hear Scarlett say, "tomorrow is another day."

Edited by Christina87
  • Love 24

My MIL is a shrieking shrew. We have had it with her antics. Unfortunately for us, we still have to deliver her toiletries (she lives in an assisted living studio) and take her to go doctor shopping. She doesn't understand that the doctor we are seeing on Monday can't heal her bedsore. He's an orthopedist, not a GP. I hope he explains this to her. She doesn't listen to anyone related to her. We had reservations in the dining room at her residence for Thanksgiving (she can't climb the steps to our place), but a think I 'm going to cancel them. Shit is too rocky, and I have to take her to two doctor's appointments next week so she can delusionally doctor shop. 

This woman used to be a totally different person. Now, she's just bitter and angry. And she'll outlive my husband and me; the women in her family live into triple digits. She's 86.

Edited by Sew Sumi
Autocorrect strikes again
  • Love 10