Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

(edited)
54 minutes ago, emma675 said:

Ugh, my company is having layoffs. They did one round in June and they'll be another round every month until October. I don't know if I prefer to get a severance package or keep my job, constantly looking over my shoulder for the axe. It's a miserable environment to work in, everyone is freaked out. I'm working on my resume and putting out feelers. I forgot how much it sucks to look for a job and I'm a person that haaaates change, so this really stinks.

So sorry, Emma675. That job uncertainty is a constant for both my son and son-in law, so I know how stressful that can be. I think you are right to be pro-active and at least prepared if it happens. Hang in there, and good luck for whichever outcome is best for you.

ETA...When I was laid off from my teaching job years ago, I was devastated, but it led to a notice in the unemployment office and the best job I ever had.  When one door closes......

Edited by Love2dance
Addition
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, emma675 said:

Ugh, my company is having layoffs. They did one round in June and they'll be another round every month until October. I don't know if I prefer to get a severance package or keep my job, constantly looking over my shoulder for the axe. It's a miserable environment to work in, everyone is freaked out. I'm working on my resume and putting out feelers. I forgot how much it sucks to look for a job and I'm a person that haaaates change, so this really stinks.

I totally understand. Since I live in Houston and work in the oil and gas business, this has been my reality for two years already. Been laid off 3 times since Aug 2014. 

One of my friends still works at the same engineering company and they are down 2/3 of their original staff. She's grateful to still be there among the surviving third, but she describes every day she's still there the same way you did. She's suffering from episodes of depression just from the stress of watching everyone she knows and likes leave.  That sense of dread and foreboding is well known to me. I've often been relieved to finally be laid off, even though that wasn't my wish.

• Love 4

I've been thru 2 different company closings.  I was HR, so I was the last one out both times.  However, I was also the first to know, as well.  Both times, since they really needed me to stay until the lights went down to complete all the separation paperwork, clean out computers (and files)  and give references, they agreed to let me interview as necessary.  Both times, I landed on my feet and was able to go from one job to the other (one with a week of vacation, the other door to door).  I enjoyed both jobs and was hurt by both closings.  

@emma675, if you can manage to set up and go for some interviews, you should.  It helps your self esteem to get back in the playing field.  Interviewing is a strengthening exercise.  Plus, as much as you hate to leave a job you love, there is a tremendous sense of accomplishment and freedom in getting out from under the dark shadow hanging over your head.

Im a very homey girl, but I liked working and having a job to fulfill among my peers.  Especially the ones I'd gotten close to and had play times outside of work.  But life went on and I'm happy out of HR, so it worked out for me.  I highly recommend getting outta Dodge if you can, whether you know you'll eventually be laid off or not.

at any rate, I wish you the best.  It's sooooooo stressful to work with doom hanging over you.

• Love 6

Sorry to hear Emma675 & it's hard not knowing if or when the axe swings your way & sometimes it comes as a complete surprise, as was my case. Years ago my husband's job was on rocky ground but I ended up being the one that was canned during that time. Fast forward a few years & his position was finally done away with. What happened to the good old days when you started with one company & stayed there for life?  For the most part, you  didn't have to go to work each day wondering if it will be your last.

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

Sorry to hear Emma675 & it's hard not knowing if or when the axe swings your way & sometimes it comes as a complete surprise, as was my case. Years ago my husband's job was on rocky ground but I ended up being the one that was canned during that time. Fast forward a few years & his position was finally done away with. What happened to the good old days when you started with one company & stayed there for life?  For the most part, you  didn't have to go to work each day wondering if it will be your last.

I know what you mean.  It's like every day you actually get to come to work makes you feel like you're on Survivor (you get to stay on the island) or "you survive to cook another day" on Next Iron Chef.

• Love 2

So sorry, Emma675, the waiting is so stressful. You might check out askamanager.org for resume and interviewing tips. (Plus also it has awesome stories of bad bosses/coworkers/interns and people writing in about WTF situations. It's helpful, horrifying and amusing all at once!)

• Love 1

Yikes Emma675. Like the above posters are saying, the not knowing is tough. I'm not a fan of change either. Maybe this is a good thing though. Maybe there is something bigger & better out there just waiting for you.

• Love 1

Emma675 I was in the same boat as you last summer.  I searched for eight months before I found a fantastic job. I am so much happier now and my finances have improved.  The not knowing sucks.  What I did was made it my job to look for a job.  I also made sure I left the house once each day.  Sometimes I'd walk to the corner Dunkin Donuts, sometimes I would just walk the dog to the corner and back. Keep your spirits up and remember there will be something better!

• Love 5

I agree!  This is the second attack on Turkey in almost as many weeks and France is in mourning yet again.  The US is reeling from Orlando, Dallas, Lafayette....

The world economy is faltering due to oil prices...it feels as if the world has gone mad!!!

• Love 3

The world does seem suddenly to be a scary, dark place.  I miss those days when all of us were fat, dumb and happy.  When hyper-vigilance wasn't a word we ever used.  I feel like we're teetering on a balance beam.  I remember when I was a child, I found comfort in America being on this side of the big pond.  I always ought, "wow, we're lucky to be separated from everybody else".  I don't feel that big separation any more, really.  I felt real horror when the guy drove through the crowds last night.  Or the Turkish airport was attacked.  Because of the Internet, the pond has dried up and we're all one.  I remember when the Oklahoma federal building was bombed, and the first time the World Trade Center was bombed in the basement, I thought, "what is WRONG with these people???  We don't act like that over here!!!"  And then, we did act like that.  Right here.  Dallas broke my heart.

i know I give off vibes like I'm a hapnin' chick, all worldly and wise, all fashionable and chik, couture and polished...(ok, not so much...).  Mostly, I'm A WHOLE LOT more Aunt Bea than I care to admit.  I'm confused.  Plus, I'm a "fixer" of things in my heart.  I want to FIX the world.  I want things to be upright, and people to be happy and comfortable in their skin.

oh, and back briefly to the hair convo from earlier this week - as proof that the 2nd hairdresser (two appointments, 4 hours in a chair and many dollars later) got the hair right (FINALLY!!!):  I was in Joann's Fabric yesterday, and two different women stopped me and admired the hair.  Not sure it was worth it (hair grows, after all), but for the moment, I felt validated.  Woohoo! 

• Love 12

I'm holed up this Friday night, eating peanut M&M's, watching Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries and applying for jobs.

2016 can bite me. At least it's half over and 2017 can't be worse. Right? Right?!?

• Love 8
(edited)
4 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I'm holed up this Friday night, eating peanut M&M's, watching Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries and applying for jobs.

2016 can bite me. At least it's half over and 2017 can't be worse. Right? Right?!?

From your mouth  to God's  ear.

Edited by crazycatlady58
I need to look at what I write . Go's ear makes no sense .
  • Love 5
(edited)
On 11.7.2016 at 2:20 PM, Jynnan tonnix said:

My hair generally is a bit curlier than that as well This was the same day that I had put the stripper in it, and it dried slightly straighter (and looking slightly longer) than usual.

Actually, I have to rescind, my hair colour isn't THAT much lighter after all, I always seem to think my hair is lighter than it is.

Right now, it's kind of frizzy, don't know why, sigh. The weather's that humid it should be all lustrous.

Edit, yes, I too feel the world is a somewhat terrifying confusing place right now. I thought as much on New year's when we had those "happenings" all over german cities and a Bomb scare here. Sigh.

Another 5 months........

Edited by MunichNark
  • Love 2

I saw this on my facebook feed this morning:

I'd like to return 2016 to the library and check out another year, please.

Yes, please. We lose David Bowie and Alan Rickman and the whole world has gone to hell in a handbasket. I blame the Duggars.

I would like to give you all a small bit of happiness though: my brother is starting to turn things around. He's sober, he's regaining his health and strength. He goes to hopefully get his license on Monday. It had been suspended/revoked? because he passed out at the wheel. His illness has required so many trips to the hospital for blood transfusions, and the passing out was due to loss of blood. His blood work and other levels are finally where they need to be where he would be safe to drive. Also on the plus side, he hasn't lost his job, it's the same company Mr. Toast works for and they've held his job during his disability (it's a year now) and are hoping to get him back. The company has been excellent to not just my brother but Mr. Toast and all of its employees.

• Love 19

Frenchtoast - love the quote.  I felt the same way about 2015 & was so glad to leave it behind.  

I'm so happy  for your brother & your family. I'm glad the company has held his job for him.  One less (but very important) thing for him to have to worry about.  After our discussion about layoffs, it's nice to be reminded there are still companies out there that care for its employees. 

• Love 1

This year has sucked for a lot of reasons already.  Just looking at the list of what are now the most dangerous cities/places to visit is disconcerting enough:

Rio de Janeiro (Zika, pollution, sewage on beaches ,violent crime)...enough to make me beg off 

Kenya (terrorism, violence, unrest)

South Africa (tourist areas only are ok, but too much unrest for me to want to go now..was my safari alternative now that Kenya has been unsafe so long)

Parts of Thailand (civil and political unrest)

Acapulco (cartel violence) once the crown jewel of Pacific side of Mexico for tourism.

Turkey (terrorism, political unrest) a pity since Istanbul and some of the natural wonders and culture are magnificent. 

i guess I need to find myself some new bucket list spots until these places are cleaner and safer.  These are places where even following good sense and going on hotel/ tour company sanctioned outings may not guarantee safety,  

Plenty of other places to go see and enjoy, however the reasons for not being able to go to these other places I listed are upsetting as these are all man made disasters (except epidemic/pandemic). Even the great state of Texas has a lot of history and ecosystems and sights to enjoy. Iceland is my dream vacation for now. 

• Love 2
(edited)

very interesting that in Turkey, the military isn't controlled by the President.  As I understand it, the military's role (beyond defending their territory, obviously), is to defend their constitution.  Whenever they feel the president/prime minister have strayed from the secular intent of the constitution, there's a coup.  I have no opinion one way or another, I just found the setup interesting.  I had to do some reading last night to figure out what the fuss was all about, and that little factoid slid off my cracker and onto this page.

Since my hair has made an appearance in almost every post this week, i came back to add this: I have to go to an outside wedding this evening.  It's hot, it's humid, it's Georgia in July.  My hair!  Boo.  :(((

Edited by Happyfatchick
Add-on
  • Love 4
(edited)

What's going on in Turkey is pretty weird...it seems to me that a predominantly Islamic country that prides itself on being inclusive and having a largely secular government would have no tolerance for this.

i wept as ISIS destroyed the world heritage site of Palmyra and when the Taliban destroyed those Buddhas. All this unrest everywhere is going to destroy all the landmarks and sights that people came exclusively to see, to the detriment of the peoples whose lives were improved by tourism...there will either be nothing left to see or people will choose to go somewhere safer instead.

Edited by Arwen Evenstar
  • Love 4

Glad your brother is doing better @frenchtoast   I agree 2016 has not been a good year. Last week there was a shooting in Helena. An eighteen year old young man was shot and died, and a twenty year old was arrested for the shooting. A man was convicted this last week for beating a two year old to death. *Sigh*

Today is National Ice Cream Day, so I will drown my sorrows in some Vanilla Ice Cream tonight. And yes, I have been cheating on the no chocolate because of the Acid Reflux. I have been eating three Peanut M & M's on a daily basis, but I have been a good girl and taking my meds and wearing my CPAP mask everyday.

7 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Arwen, have you been to Texas's grand canyon? Palo Duro Park. It is near Amarillo so now is probably hotter than hells hinges, but then so is Houston.

Not yet...I think you're right that this ship has sailed until about October or November...I'll have to check out the online images..to scope out what I might expect to see....I'm something of a serious photographer...thanks!

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Not yet...I think you're right that this ship has sailed until about October or November...I'll have to check out the online images..to scope out what I might expect to see....I'm something of a serious photographer...thanks!

If you go, and you can ,  post pictures .  I have not been but I have seen pictures  and it is wonderful . 

(edited)
3 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

If you go, and you can ,  post pictures .  I have not been but I have seen pictures  and it is wonderful . 

Will do.  It looks really cool. It's n the list now. There's a meteor crater outside of Midland/Odessa area and the road between there and Marfa has lots of interesting diversions. Those adventures must also wait for cooler weather.

Edited by Arwen Evenstar
  • Love 1

I live in Cleveland. RNC is on the horizon. Like, tomorrow. Very nervous with all the police shootings happening all over the US. I would hate to finally win a world championship (GO CAVS!) and then have the city darkened. Please, good thoughts for a peaceful RNC week. Let's all get along.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Will do.  It looks really cool. It's n the list now. There's a meteor crater outside of Midland/Odessa area and the road between there and Marfa has lots of interesting diversions. Those adventures must also wait for cooler weather.

Maybe you will see the Marfa lights!

@Westiepeach, I'm packing all the good vibes I can find and sending them your way.  I'm thrilled I don't live there right now!  Your governor seems like a good man.  A good governor, from what I know.  I was surprised by his decision today.  And yes, GO CAVS!  My ex-Amish cousins who all live near me now are still excited about that.  And they still proudly wear the Ohio State jerseys from a couple years ago!  You can take the Amish away from the silo...

personally, I think the whole stinkin PLANET has lost its mind.  My anxiety meds gave up 2 weeks ago.  I'm not even kidding, I'm stressing, people!  It feels like a sci-fi movie.  Not a good one, either.

• Love 3

Just a couple of quick observations with everyone moaning the state of the world: Maybe when they discovered the terra cotta soldiers near the tomb of King Zheng of Qi, the old Chinese curse was enacted, "May you live in interesting times." That's a worse curse than any Pharaoh thought of. They only cursed the people who opened their tombs. 

Or a theory my sister and I am embracing: Animals are getting smarter; Human are getting dumber.  Think about it. Apes are using more advanced tools, crows can learn more than previously thought, we've all told stories here how our pets are smarter than we thought...   Face it, We is dumb. :)   

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

I've heard of them...I will have to see if I actually get to see them.

Whoo hoo...we got about an hour's worth of rain today in my part of town. 

Not a drop here, maybe  it will be our turn next.

• Love 2

no rain here but expecting very high temps. did i mention, once again, how much i hate summer in the desert!  so my DIL drove here from texas, stayed a few days and is now on the road with one less boy. she left my oldest grandson home with me. he is staying till Friday and  then he goes home to mama which is about a 40 minute drive so not far, and i need to pack my freakin' house. i have two weeks left to finish everything. i can do this!!!

• Love 3
5 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Not a drop here, maybe  it will be our turn next.

Few spotty showers on the Houston metro Doppler. Mostly overcast over chez moi. No rain on radar here, but I won't be greedy...I'm happy to let someone else have some sweet relief from the heat. I need to get my car washed badly.  We all know what happens after that.  I'll take one for the team if it means we all get a good soaking.

• Love 3

So i survived my colonoscopy and endoscopy and emerged with a diagnosis: Celiac.

What a rollercoaster of emotions THAT has been for the last week! I also have to go back for another colonoscopy in August to remove a couple polyps he didn't have time to get but not nervous this time as once I've gone through something,  it's not scary anymore! 

I'm actually relieved that I finally know what's going on with me and that my Dr had me written off work until after Aug 18 to give me time to heal and hopefully get my iron levels normal or close to normal. 

I got zero information from the Dr but have been researching on the internet non stop. So much information. .some of it scary,  but some really awesome communities of support out there! 

I'm mostly worried about how ppl will perceive me now as i was brought up to not be "difficult". Meaning, I have never sent a meal back in my life in a restaurant. 

I'm worried that people will see me as overly anxious or picky. .so that will be my huge hurdle at the start. 

Upside is I've already dropped weight..it's nice to know that all the symptoms i had been blaming on being pre- menopausal were not that but something else. 

So you all are stuck with me for another month at least until i get sent back to work! 

Thanks so much for your awesome support on my whiny day last week. ?

• Love 13
On 7/17/2016 at 2:02 PM, Westiepeach said:

I live in Cleveland. RNC is on the horizon. Like, tomorrow. Very nervous with all the police shootings happening all over the US. I would hate to finally win a world championship (GO CAVS!) and then have the city darkened. Please, good thoughts for a peaceful RNC week. Let's all get along.

My cousin lives in CLE and I was just there for a wedding in May.  The highlight was the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.  LOVED IT!  My cousin gets to work at home this week due to the RNC.  

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, MarysWetBar said:

So i survived my colonoscopy and endoscopy and emerged with a diagnosis: Celiac.

What a rollercoaster of emotions THAT has been for the last week! I also have to go back for another colonoscopy in August to remove a couple polyps he didn't have time to get but not nervous this time as once I've gone through something,  it's not scary anymore! 

I'm actually relieved that I finally know what's going on with me and that my Dr had me written off work until after Aug 18 to give me time to heal and hopefully get my iron levels normal or close to normal. 

I got zero information from the Dr but have been researching on the internet non stop. So much information. .some of it scary,  but some really awesome communities of support out there! 

I'm mostly worried about how ppl will perceive me now as i was brought up to not be "difficult". Meaning, I have never sent a meal back in my life in a restaurant. 

I'm worried that people will see me as overly anxious or picky. .so that will be my huge hurdle at the start. 

Upside is I've already dropped weight..it's nice to know that all the symptoms i had been blaming on being pre- menopausal were not that but something else. 

So you all are stuck with me for another month at least until i get sent back to work! 

Well I am going to call it good news because while celiac can be tricky sometimes, you know what you have and can work with it and now you are on the road to feeling better!!!!  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, MarysWetBar said:

i have celiac as well. there is a 'gluten free for dummies' book that i found helpful with basic info. also io have a site on my facebook page that shares recipes that is really great. its called 'glutenfree homemaker'.  baking is your biggest issue now and its not always easy to find a comparable recipe to what you normally bake. also try udi's' brand breads, frozen pizza etc. target and albertsons carry it here. feel free to pm me if i can help with anything.

• Love 2

@MarysWetBar

Glad you got to the bottom of your problem. Celiac is good news compared to a lot of bad things it could have been. It's not like my wheat allergy, where I cheat now and again. You can't cheat when you have celiac because you will continue destroying the villi in your small intestine... It's like scorched earth; they don't grow back.

But you'd be surprised how many things gluten is in. Thankfully, fruits, vegetables, nuts, dairy, eggs, meat are all GF and so are many grains.

Thankfully, there are many delicious GF products, once you get used to the difference in taste. Some are just, no how ...now way...some grow on you and some are really good.

Brands like Schar, Kinnikinick, Mary's Gone Crackers, Kind...you can get bread, cereals, cookies, snack bars and you won't miss the real versions...most of their products are good. Pamela's Whenever Bars are great.

Amy's and Cedar Lane and Helens Kitchen offer many GF choices...also you can get GF beers and soy sauce. Andean Dream and Ancient Grains make fantastic quinoa pastas. You can get good prices and choices online at Swanson health products...also they have great prices on Naturtint hair color...it's cruelty free and doesn't stink or strip your hair. 

You have lots of choices.  There's a mag called Living Without that caters to celiacs and people with food allergies for recipes and converting  wet and dry substitutions for flour and other allergens. 

Once I dropped wheat, I lost a lot of weight and a lot of issues went away. Gluten aggravates endometriosis, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus and many other conditions if one has an intolerance or sensitivity to gluten. Once I brought it back, I swelled up like a toad again.  I need to go cold turkey on it again. Just remember that just because it's gluten free doesn't mean it's diet food...calories...

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

@MarysWetBar

Glad you got to the bottom of your problem. Celiac is good news compared to a lot of bad things it could have been. It's not like my wheat allergy, where I cheat now and again. You can't cheat when you have celiac because you will continue destroying the villi in your small intestine... It's like scorched earth; they don't grow back.

But you'd be surprised how many things gluten is in. Thankfully, fruits, vegetables, nuts, dairy, eggs, meat are all GF and so are many grains.

Thankfully, there are many delicious GF products, once you get used to the difference in taste. Some are just, no how ...now way...some grow on you and some are really good.

Brands like Schar, Kinnikinick, Mary's Gone Crackers, Kind...you can get bread, cereals, cookies, snack bars and you won't miss the real versions...most of their products are good. Pamela's Whenever Bars are great.

Amy's and Cedar Lane and Helens Kitchen offer many GF choices...also you can get GF beers and soy sauce. Andean Dream and Ancient Grains make fantastic quinoa pastas. You can get good prices and choices online at Swanson health products...also they have great prices on Naturtint hair color...it's cruelty free and doesn't stink or strip your hair. 

You have lots of choices.  There's a mag called Living Without that caters to celiacs and people with food allergies for recipes and converting  wet and dry substitutions for flour and other allergens. 

Once I dropped wheat, I lost a lot of weight and a lot of issues went away. Gluten aggravates endometriosis, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus and many other conditions if one has an intolerance or sensitivity to gluten. Once I brought it back, I swelled up like a toad again.  I need to go cold turkey on it again. Just remember that just because it's gluten free doesn't mean it's diet food...calories...

At that CLE wedding reception there was THE BEST choc chip gluten free cookies (bride is gluten free due to allergies I guess).  I have been trying to get the recipe but no luck yet.  I did make some great gf sugar cookies.  I didn't realize that there is gluten free make up as well.

One of my student workers from the 90's was diagnosed as celiac as a very small child.  Poor guy had THE HARDEST time finding food products but managed (his mom must have been a real trooper).  Luckily there are plenty of options now.  Good luck!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, MarysWetBar said:

Good news, MARYSWETBAR! We all need support and a whiny day now and then. Glad you will be feeling much better now that you know what to do.

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

totally agree!

57 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Once I dropped wheat, I lost a lot of weight

in my case, nope. rice puts it on and g/f is a rice based diet. now if i just went low carb, no rice and ate meat, vegi's and fruits, yep, i lost it.  unfortunately, its back plus some.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, MarysWetBar said:

Welcome to Celiac.  It's been diagnosed in my family for over twenty-five years and since it is almost certainly a significant factor in my grandmother's multiple cancers, has been in my family for at least fifty years.  It's a difficult lifestyle change because of all the people who will think you are over-reacting - ignore their disapproval, and don't trust the food they give you (that commercial with the girl who ate the brownies that didn't have peanuts, only to find out that her dipshit hostess forgot that she added peanut butter? - you won't react that horribly, you'll just have massive discomfort for two days to two months...).  That's typically the hardest part, family that gets pissy because you are being special, friends who get bored with your restaurant issues, and missing the foods you used to eat.  I miss the hell out of all sorts of things, from saltines to sourdough bread to grabbing a quick bagel to southern style biscuits and gravy to getting ice cream in a waffle cone...  I don't crave any of these things, because I managed to go gluten-free long enough for gluten to now taste bad and smell much worse, but I miss the associations with those foods.  

A quick way to gauge how successfully gluten-free you are is to try to walk down the bread aisle in a grocery store.  If the odor of gluten slams you in the nose, then you are indeed gluten-free.  Don't let anyone tell you that you can pick croutons out of a salad, scrape crumbs off a burger or gravy off a steak, or that just a little taste won't hurt - gluten-free is zero tolerance, but having gut and bowels that behave as designed is well worth it.  Read labels compulsively, and reward the brands that label clearly.  

Say good-bye to beer and Kikkoman soy sauce.

And as for restaurants, explore the issue with the waiter, and if he is non-responsive, don't order, just leave.  It's not worth the risk, and you will collect a list of the good places.  (Low (or no - my ears aren't so good) carb burgers and other non-battered sandwiches at Burger King are gluten-free because they are prepared without a bun.  Red Brick Pizza has a gluten-free line of pizzas prepared on a different counter, cooked on its own stone, with its own ladle.  It's doable.)

I was diagnosed in 2005. I went gluten-free, and then decided to cheat just a little bit (as I have done with many other diets, bad bad me) with some fried mozzarella sticks.  Two days of acute gastrointestinal discomfort, two weeks of feeling like crap, and oh by the way, I no longer crave or miss fried mozzarella sticks.  Instead, in this house where two out of three are celiacs, and the third feels better when she doesn't eat gluten, we've built of a bunch of recipes, explored alternative flours, learned to love xanthum gum, and not one damn one of us has had a cancer diagnosis.

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, zoomama said:

totally agree!

in my case, nope. rice puts it on and g/f is a rice based diet. now if i just went low carb, no rice and ate meat, vegi's and fruits, yep, i lost it.  unfortunately, its back plus some.

I'm going to have to watch that too, as rice has been my go-to this past  week due it being pretty well the only thing that doesn't send me right to the bathroom immediately. 

I'm looking up bone broth recipes right now. 

7 minutes ago, kassygreene said:

Welcome to Celiac.  It's been diagnosed in my family for over twenty-five years and since it is almost certainly a significant factor in my grandmother's multiple cancers, has been in my family for at least fifty years.  It's a difficult lifestyle change because of all the people who will think you are over-reacting - ignore their disapproval, and don't trust the food they give you (that commercial with the girl who ate the brownies that didn't have peanuts, only to find out that her dipshit hostess forgot that she added peanut butter? - you won't react that horribly, you'll just have massive discomfort for two days to two months...).  That's typically the hardest part, family that gets pissy because you are being special, friends who get bored with your restaurant issues, and missing the foods you used to eat.  I miss the hell out of all sorts of things, from saltines to sourdough bread to grabbing a quick bagel to southern style biscuits and gravy to getting ice cream in a waffle cone...  I don't crave any of these things, because I managed to go gluten-free long enough for gluten to now taste bad and smell much worse, but I miss the associations with those foods.  

A quick way to gauge how successfully gluten-free you are is to try to walk down the bread aisle in a grocery store.  If the odor of gluten slams you in the nose, then you are indeed gluten-free.  Don't let anyone tell you that you can pick croutons out of a salad, scrape crumbs off a burger or gravy off a steak, or that just a little taste won't hurt - gluten-free is zero tolerance, but having gut and bowels that behave as designed is well worth it.  Read labels compulsively, and reward the brands that label clearly.  

Say good-bye to beer and Kikkoman soy sauce.

And as for restaurants, explore the issue with the waiter, and if he is non-responsive, don't order, just leave.  It's not worth the risk, and you will collect a list of the good places.  (Low (or no - my ears aren't so good) carb burgers and other non-battered sandwiches at Burger King are gluten-free because they are prepared without a bun.  Red Brick Pizza has a gluten-free line of pizzas prepared on a different counter, cooked on its own stone, with its own ladle.  It's doable.)

I was diagnosed in 2005. I went gluten-free, and then decided to cheat just a little bit (as I have done with many other diets, bad bad me) with some fried mozzarella sticks.  Two days of acute gastrointestinal discomfort, two weeks of feeling like crap, and oh by the way, I no longer crave or miss fried mozzarella sticks.  Instead, in this house where two out of three are celiacs, and the third feels better when she doesn't eat gluten, we've built of a bunch of recipes, explored alternative flours, learned to love xanthum gum, and not one damn one of us has had a cancer diagnosis.

Thanks so much! 

Funny story: I was out  on the weekend and a group of ppl i was with decided to order KFC. I said i was fine and not to worry about me. The one lady almost was angry with me. .like disgusted. .when she pulled the skin off her chicken and attempted to hand me the meat off HER OWN FORK SHE HAD JUST HAD IN HER MOUTH! ! 

I politely declined and said i wasn't even hungry ( i lied) and basically suffered through an hour of smells etc that literally turned my stomach. 

I explained that i am an adult and can do without. .made a joke about having a year of fat and stores inside me. .but it was like i was offending her in some way. 

I'm only sad that my impromptu and spontaneous lifestyle is going to be impacted but just need to have a plan for next time or just stay home. 

• Love 1

I'm glad you all have received the proper diagnosis so you can live your lives without discomfort/pain any longer. <3

I just got back from the dermatologist, who gave me the "official" 5 years cancer-free card. My actual surgery was 5 years last week (it came up as a memory on FB), but now it's confirmed. I may be white as a ghost, but I'm a healthy ghost. :D

• Love 18