Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

He also thought the expression was, "Smoke like a fish." Because fish is smoked. Ooookaaay. He still isn't quite sure I'm right when I explain it's drink like a fish and smoke like a chimney. So I don't think I'll make much headway with his useless as an empty wallet.

reminds me of my sister's mother in law. She couldn't understand the phrase, "burners on, but the pilot light isn't working" meaning someone seems bright, but their brain isn't functioning. My sister had a moment when she momentarily forgot what she was talking about and her husband had said the phrase. They then spent the night trying to explain to MIL that there was nothing wrong with the stove, but had a moment of forgetfulness. It hadn't helped when they tried to explain by example of "porchlight is on; no one's home."

• Love 4

what goes around comes around....i say it a lot. also i say ' freakin' a lot too. i almost feel like calling my daughter and asking her because i can't think of anything. 

BTW -- i have been sort of absent for a few days. been dealing with cellulitis in my....lip!  i look like the loser in a fist fight and i gotta tell ya, it hurts bigtime.  going back to the dr again today; 3rd day in a row. strong antibiotics that should be making my tummy sick about any time now...its miserable.

Sorry to hear about the cellulitis. I've had great success by taking probiotics for the stomach/digestive issues when taking antibiotics, esp the strong ones.

• Love 2

I thought of friends of mine that has quirks in their speech patterns. One says at the end of every stinking sentence: ...and all. I went to Walmart yesterday....and all. [what does this MEAN??? How the heck did she pick up that crazy thought ender???].

My husband uses "and that" in a similar way. I'm putting it down to some sort of New Jersey thing.

Hello dear sweet friends! I haven't been around in a while, I'm STILL studying for the NCLEX, life will resume on March 4th, the day after I take the test :). I have lurked and read on here but I've been trying to stay off social media and what little time I'm here is getting eaten up bu shows that are on the air right now...lol.

I have a delimma, and I know lots of people here have had various medical issues so I'm taking a shot in the dark that somone may have a suggestion or advice for me...

So about a month ago, I broke one of my wisdom teeth (yes I'm 33 and still have them, they fit so I never really had to consider removal) but I haven't had insurance while I was in nursing school, I knew I had a cavity but I was holding out for having insurance in a few months but it broke while eating Cap'n Crunch. So I've been in pain for the last month and had difficulty eating. Since dental work is expensive even with insurance, and astronomical without, I did some research and I happen to live near one of the top dental schools in the nation (nova in ft lauderdale) so a student will work on me for a fraction of the price, I'm completely fine with a student, they are supervised and I myself have recently been a medical (nurse not Doctor) student so I understand the value of the training. So I have an appointment in the am where they will do and exam but since I know the tooth is broken the student says the exam is kinda a technicality, but they'll schedule me for oral surgery tomorrow.

A little background info, I live in ft lauderdale with my older sister and younger brother who is also autistic, our mom passed away last year, so that's when out brother moved in, we have been working to get him more independent (he was coddled to death being the youngest child with a disability) so he just got his drivers license last week.

This is where I need some help, I texted my sister earlier asking if when it came to a time and date of the oral surgery if there was a day/time that worked best or to avoid since I would most likely need her to drop me off pick me up... Her reply was "can't brother do it I'm busy I have lots on My calendar" my reply to her was " I'd much rather you do it, he just got his license last week, I'm not sure I'm comfortable having him drop off/pick up when I am sedated and its not really close (it's about 30 minutes away)" ... The thing is I completely understand if she has to work, BUT she does not have a typical 9-5 job, she has the ability to work remotely, and come late/leave early without being penalized, obviously if she has a meeting or something that may not be negotiable, but she leaves early goes in late all the time for chiropractor/massages/mani/pedies, I'm not asking her to stay home with my all day just to pick me up drop me off on a day that works best with her schedule. But she still said no.

So beyond being really hurt that she can't take a couple of hours to do something that will help me, I need to find a way to be picked up and dropped off. Yes my brother "can" drive, but like I said it's only been a week, I have no clue what kind of driver he is, and it's not even just him, other people are bad drivers, and even if he drives well, building up defensive driving and the ability to safely maneuver around bad drivers takes time too, and I don't know that me being sedated is the best time to find that out. Plus, I don't mean this meanly, but someone who lacks empathy, cannot easily read social cues, and has to be told to do every little thing/chore because he takes absolutely no initiative does not seem like the best candidate to take care of me post op... He can't even take a clue/initiative to unload the dishwasher without being asked, is that really who I want in charge of my pain medication!?

So this is my delimma, is there a such thing as a medical transportation that I could maybe call. My first thought was just call a cab/uber but I'm not sure that they are allowed to do that in the event that I am sedated. I know medical transport exists, but I don't know that oral surgery is an acceptable use for it, I obviously don't need an ambulance or anything. I don't have many friends here, and the ones I do have have jobs and I would never ask a non family member to take time off work for something like that.

I know it's a long shot especially because even if such transportation exists who knows if it exists where I live. I'm gonna research but I wanted to put it out there in the meantime I case anyone had some insight... Thanks!!

• Love 1

I had to research something similar for my brother--he was losing so much blood and was passing out he couldn't drive but still needed to get to appointments. Of course he lives in MA, so this may not apply to a service in FL. But there was a service to help get seniors without cars to get their appointments. Of course, there were forms to fill out, so I don't know how it would work for you in the here and now. I would maybe search under the public transportation and see if there is something like that.

Hello dear sweet friends! I haven't been around in a while, I'm STILL studying for the NCLEX, life will resume on March 4th, the day after I take the test :). I have lurked and read on here but I've been trying to stay off social media and what little time I'm here is getting eaten up bu shows that are on the air right now...lol.

I have a delimma, and I know lots of people here have had various medical issues so I'm taking a shot in the dark that somone may have a suggestion or advice for me...

So about a month ago, I broke one of my wisdom teeth (yes I'm 33 and still have them, they fit so I never really had to consider removal) but I haven't had insurance while I was in nursing school, I knew I had a cavity but I was holding out for having insurance in a few months but it broke while eating Cap'n Crunch. So I've been in pain for the last month and had difficulty eating. Since dental work is expensive even with insurance, and astronomical without, I did some research and I happen to live near one of the top dental schools in the nation (nova in ft lauderdale) so a student will work on me for a fraction of the price, I'm completely fine with a student, they are supervised and I myself have recently been a medical (nurse not Doctor) student so I understand the value of the training. So I have an appointment in the am where they will do and exam but since I know the tooth is broken the student says the exam is kinda a technicality, but they'll schedule me for oral surgery tomorrow.

A little background info, I live in ft lauderdale with my older sister and younger brother who is also autistic, our mom passed away last year, so that's when out brother moved in, we have been working to get him more independent (he was coddled to death being the youngest child with a disability) so he just got his drivers license last week.

This is where I need some help, I texted my sister earlier asking if when it came to a time and date of the oral surgery if there was a day/time that worked best or to avoid since I would most likely need her to drop me off pick me up... Her reply was "can't brother do it I'm busy I have lots on My calendar" my reply to her was " I'd much rather you do it, he just got his license last week, I'm not sure I'm comfortable having him drop off/pick up when I am sedated and its not really close (it's about 30 minutes away)" ... The thing is I completely understand if she has to work, BUT she does not have a typical 9-5 job, she has the ability to work remotely, and come late/leave early without being penalized, obviously if she has a meeting or something that may not be negotiable, but she leaves early goes in late all the time for chiropractor/massages/mani/pedies, I'm not asking her to stay home with my all day just to pick me up drop me off on a day that works best with her schedule. But she still said no.

So beyond being really hurt that she can't take a couple of hours to do something that will help me, I need to find a way to be picked up and dropped off. Yes my brother "can" drive, but like I said it's only been a week, I have no clue what kind of driver he is, and it's not even just him, other people are bad drivers, and even if he drives well, building up defensive driving and the ability to safely maneuver around bad drivers takes time too, and I don't know that me being sedated is the best time to find that out. Plus, I don't mean this meanly, but someone who lacks empathy, cannot easily read social cues, and has to be told to do every little thing/chore because he takes absolutely no initiative does not seem like the best candidate to take care of me post op... He can't even take a clue/initiative to unload the dishwasher without being asked, is that really who I want in charge of my pain medication!?

So this is my delimma, is there a such thing as a medical transportation that I could maybe call. My first thought was just call a cab/uber but I'm not sure that they are allowed to do that in the event that I am sedated. I know medical transport exists, but I don't know that oral surgery is an acceptable use for it, I obviously don't need an ambulance or anything. I don't have many friends here, and the ones I do have have jobs and I would never ask a non family member to take time off work for something like that.

I know it's a long shot especially because even if such transportation exists who knows if it exists where I live. I'm gonna research but I wanted to put it out there in the meantime I case anyone had some insight... Thanks!!

You're brother is obviously on the high end of the autism spectrum if he was able to get his license, however the oral surgeon's office may not deem him to be a suitable after-surgery transport. If this is true would your sister change her mind and be willing to accommodate you? Also I would call your dentist and ask if they know of any services.

Feel better soon zoomama.

I have a sister exactly like that.  Sweet, isn't it?

Brother will have to do.  And you don't need anybody to manage pain meds for you at home.  Take a pill yourself.  You're just really nervous.  Calm down and let brother drive.

Good luck to you.  I am terrified of the dentist.

LEIGHRODA, I'm not sure that any driver who has only had a driver's license for just one week is ready for such a responsibility. If you can't arrange medical transport home, you would be much better off with Uber or a cab, even with the added cost. (Call the dental school first and be sure it is allowed.) Good luck, and hope your surgery is easy and the recovery smooth. P.S. Shame on your sister!!

Yeah, he's high functioning, it's not necessarily that I don't think he can cognitively handle the task... But he's 30 and only driven the minimum required for driving school, literally the amount for lessons and the test, that's it. If I had more time I would just make it a point to drive me around now while I am well to get some practice under his belt...but I don't really have time for that. He got his license passed the test so he's minimally competent but he's not all I'm worried about, it's like what if someone pulls out in front of him, I'm not awake to react and he just doesn't have the experience you gain over time to know how to safely avoid them. Also he's not familiar with the area, so he would probably have to use a gps to get us home, I have trouble driving with a gps at times and I've been driving for 15+ years... Even as a passenger I've had him in the car with me I was visiting where him and my mom lived for 10yrs, but I never lived there, we got lost going to a local target because he didn't know how to get home... So even if he takes me that morning I don't trust him to get us home in the event I'm out of it.

I found a service when I googled so I emailed for a quote, and if I don't hear by tomorrow I'll call and talk to someone, plus I have a dentist appt in the morning so that's a good idea I'll ask them.

Thanks for your help!!

• Love 2

I would call the dentist office to see if they know of any services to help you. I start my teeth and gum cleaning appointments next Thursday. I probably will drive myself to the first appointment to see how I do. I am not looking forward to this since they will probably have to numbed my mouth to do the cleanings. The last appointment is in early March for almost two hours to finish up the cleanings and to fix a bad filling (leaking some nasty stuff from an old filling.) I am sure my jaw and ears will be hurting so I will come home and crawl under the covers to try to relax and nap and try attempting to eat something light after a few hours. I feel bad for my husband and two cats because I am not going to be in a good mood once the cleanings and the new filling appointments start.

Leigh, you're probably off the thread for the night. i think you have to go back to the sister. (Micks is right, you're nervous). TELL the sister you are a little freaked out about this and that depending on your brother makes you even more nervous. Micks is also right that you probably won't need help once you get home and settled. You can take a pill and sleep it off without your brothers help. It would be nice to have him there just in case, though. Maybe he can take you there, and the sister can stretch her boundaries enough to pick you up. I'm sure the dentist-in-training can tell you how long you should expect to be there.

And there is this - if the brother HAS to be the one to pick you up, you probably won't care in that moment. You won't care if it takes 3 hours to get home from a 30 minute ride. See if you can arrange for videos. I love those!

• Love 1

Leigh - I'm sure the dental office, knowing the situation would probably be happy to call you a cab after and make sure the cab driver has the correct address to take you back to.  I know my daughter's dental office did that for their customers that needed rides after they'd had teeth pulled and similar services that required heavy pain meds.  Ask them.

I'm going to the parental units home today to do a grocery run and drop off/pick up laundry.  It's been two days without a call so far from them which has been rather nice.  I don't mind talking to my mom every day but the male parent calling and saying 'I need this, I need that' had me on my last nerve.  I blew up big time with them this past Tuesday, and it was pretty ugly.  Really really ugly.  A lot of it has to do with a house and property of my male parent's mother that they've held on to for no reason, despite my years of begging them to sell it.  If you asked for a logical reason why they couldn't provide you with one except they are waiting for the right buyer.  It's never been listed, I don't know if they don't want a sale showing up on taxes or what.  I know negative nothing about real estate so I can't say.  The house and out buildings are nasty and moldy, the house still has furniture in it for pete's sake.  Just typing about it raises my blood pressure.  One of the things I said during my rant to the two of them was that I was not dragging my daughter into this mess of theirs, and I wouldn't treat her the way I'd been treated over the years.  I know that had to hurt my mother at least but it's the truth.  Also said I could walk away and never look back.  My husband, bless him, was delighted to no end that I'd finally had the Krakatoa moment, he said it's been years in the making.  He was so happy he promised me a movie this weekend of my choice and he is more of an action-shoot 'em up dude.  What a guy! 

• Love 3

Leighroda, when I had my wisdom teeth out at once, I took a cab home with no problem. I was well sedated (all 4 were impacted) but was perfectly lucid to get home (20 minutes or so). In fact, I felt great afterwards. It wasn't until a few hours later than I had problems, but that was the fault of the vicodin - apparently opiates and I don't mix. If you had to take a cab or Uber, you might do just fine. But, I do think your sister should pick you up anyway. And, make sure your dentist writes down any instructions for medication afterwards, in case you can't remember what she or he said right after surgery.

Phrases I use nearly every day - What the f*ck did I do? (from The Wire); Who do we hate? People! (said under my breath or just in my head), and Bite Me. Oh, and I describe people as "too much candy for a nickel" which means that the person has too high an opinion of him/herself, or is generally crazy-making.

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 2

Ladies and gentlemen, I'm only sorry I can't hand the box of wine (or your beverage of choice) through the monitor. It's time to pull our chairs around the ol' Duraflame campfire: It's my latest FIRST WORLD PROBLEM! (Wooooooo! Pass the chocolate, won't you?)

Our cousin is marrying his fiancee in July. I am overjoyed for them. He is a sweetheart and she is perfect for him. (Throws confetti and cracks open the champagne.) I hope they will have a long and wonderful life together. In the meantime, we received the wedding invite today. (WHEEEEEE!) The wedding celebration is over a weekend. Yes, three days of sun and fun.

Our beloveds are getting married in a remote area in Eastern Washington. Those attending are encouraged to camp. If one cannot sleep outside, there is a variety of lodging options half an hour away. Considering the fact I would be in intensive care and/or traction if I attempted sleeping on the ground for two nights, we'll be pursuing the hotel option. Allegedly. We also have no idea how the food angle will be handled for this affair; we're guessing that it's going to be one big potluck. In other words, we will have to add the cost of food for 3 days to our lodging cost and boarding our dog, which is an estimated $90 for the weekend as well.

We're up to a minimum of $300 before gas and a gift. And we will be driving three and a half hours each way in 100 degree heat to attend.

Here's my biggest issue with this event: I realize this is the bride's day, she gets whatever she wants, but does she not realize the vast number of family members have a variety of health issues that do not allow sleeping on the ground and dealing with 100 degree heat during the days, let alone hiking, swimming, etcetera? I realize I'm in grave danger of telling the kids to get off my lawn at this point, but if one wants to get married in the middle of nowhere, maybe it's best to post a registry and state there will be a gathering for those who have a tough time "roughing it" at a later date.

IMHO of course.

• Love 5

We're up to a minimum of $300 before gas and a gift. And we will be driving three and a half hours each way in 100 degree heat to attend.

Here's my biggest issue with this event: I realize this is the bride's day, she gets whatever she wants, but does she not realize the vast number of family members have a variety of health issues that do not allow sleeping on the ground and dealing with 100 degree heat during the days, let alone hiking, swimming, etcetera? I realize I'm in grave danger of telling the kids to get off my lawn at this point, but if one wants to get married in the middle of nowhere, maybe it's best to post a registry and state there will be a gathering for those who have a tough time "roughing it" at a later date.

IMHO of course.

I am so with you, MISSY VIXEN. We have been to several weddings the last few years where the couples insist on having their wedding, and even reception, out in the "beautiful" outdoors, knowing that it will be hot and humid. The poor guys are miserable in their suits, it's too hot to enjoy dancing, and whatever makeup the ladies start with is soon melted off. And these are couples who can easily afford lovely, indoor settings with air conditioning. And making a three day affair in an outdoor sauna sounds like torture.

If you HAVE to travel to the wedding, I think you should feel free to attend the ceremony/reception for sure, and then only the other events that you will be comfortable at. Maybe the nearby town has some nice air conditioned cafes, shops, or museums you can enjoy while the other guests try to hide from the sun outdoors. Anyway, you have my support, for sure.

• Love 4

I don't have many friends here, and the ones I do have have jobs and I would never ask a non family member to take time off work for something like that.

I would ask a friend before I took a cab/Uber. You never know what kind of schedules they have.

I am so with you, MISSY VIXEN. We have been to several weddings the last few years where the couples insist on having their wedding, and even reception, out in the "beautiful" outdoors, knowing that it will be hot and humid. The poor guys are miserable in their suits, it's too hot to enjoy dancing, and whatever makeup the ladies start with is soon melted off. And these are couples who can easily afford lovely, indoor settings with air conditioning. And making a three day affair in an outdoor sauna sounds like torture.

If you HAVE to travel to the wedding, I think you should feel free to attend the ceremony/reception for sure, and then only the other events that you will be comfortable at. Maybe the nearby town has some nice air conditioned cafes, shops, or museums you can enjoy while the other guests try to hide from the sun outdoors. Anyway, you have my support, for sure.

Is this something you really want to attend?  If not, can't you say no and send a gift?  Or just go for the ceremony, stay in a hotel, and then leave?  

• Love 4

I too am confused about when weddings became some 3-4 day event complete with costly hotel (or miserable tent) stays and multiple things to attend.  I'm used to ceremony and reception, plus a rehearsal if you're part of the ceremony.  Other than that why so many other things?  "Mandatory" hiking trips, etc. just seem nuts to me. So I guess I'll join you Missy Vixen in the get off my lawn club.

• Love 4

Destination weddings, weekend weddings. It all feels a little over the top and a tad selfish. But with that said, anyone invited has the option to attend in whatever fashion they see fit, or not attend at all. A few folks I know have had winter weddings here in the Northeast, silly if you ask me. We were invited to one last year in the Boston area. We backed out at the last minute because of a storm. The wedding couple totally understood though. But take my opinion with a grain of salt, because I actually get irritated with the craziness of some brides. I have an acquaintance, who years after her wedding is still bothered by her choice of chair covers. When she brings it up, (which is not often w/me) I say, well how's the marriage going?

• Love 4

Destination weddings, weekend weddings. It all feels a little over the top and a tad selfish. But with that said, anyone invited has the option to attend in whatever fashion they see fit, or not attend at all. A few folks I know have had winter weddings here in the Northeast, silly if you ask me. We were invited to one last year in the Boston area. We backed out at the last minute because of a storm. The wedding couple totally understood though. But take my opinion with a grain of salt, because I actually get irritated with the craziness of some brides. I have an acquaintance, who years after her wedding is still bothered by her choice of chair covers. When she brings it up, (which is not often w/me) I say, well how's the marriage going?

I can understand having a winter wedding in the Northeast. Yes, the weather might really screw with plans, but from what I understand, lots of stuff is lots cheaper because it's not a popular time to get married. If the couple is looking to save money, I can see where they might take that gamble. It doesn't snow/storm every day and they might luck out.
  • Love 2

I got married in Conncticut in late January 31 years ago. Of course, I was almost 3 months pregnant and we sort of threw it together at the last moment. Plus we only had about 40 people there total. Five of them were cousins from England, and I was thrilled that they could make it, but then again air fares were probably far cheaper at that time of the year than any other.

It was a beautiful day, though it had, in fact, snowed the night before, so there were blankets of pristine snow covering the landscape. Very beautiful!

Probably not a date I would have picked if I'd had the whole year at my disposal, but it was definitely cheaper and easier to do as a rush job than something a few months later would have been. And it did all work out in the end!

• Love 5

Missy Vixen -where is the actual wedding ceremony being held? Is it in a nearby church or the common area of the campground? If it's at the campground or great outdoors, I can't imagine it being in anyway formal. Trying to get dressed in anything dressy (both wedding party & guests) in a public rest room doesn't sound like fun to me.

Pass the chocolates, I agree with the rest of you. Stay in a hotel, attend wedding & do whatever else fancies you in the area.

• Love 4

I'm in the 'stay for ceremony/reception and then get the hell out of Dodge' column myself.  They may be doing this outdoors extravaganza with the best of intentions to get the families together and have a good time, but not thinking about the cost this will incur for the people they invite.  Or that the outdoors is not for everyone.  I think you'll find there are more people that are thinking about just attend just the ceremony/reception than the whole three days.  Honestly, if they are the lovely people you say they are they may know all this already, that not everyone will show or be there for the camping and hiking portion.

Tomorrow Mr Malotte and I will be married 21 years, and it was not planned to be a Valentines wedding, nor was the Mini Malotte that I had just found out I was cooking internally.  The best things are often like that - unexpected.  A very Happy Valentines to all of you!

• Love 8

Destination weddings, weekend weddings. It all feels a little over the top and a tad selfish. But with that said, anyone invited has the option to attend in whatever fashion they see fit, or not attend at all.

Sort of.. it depends on if it's family, how bad you'll feel, and how much you'll have to put up with if you choose not to attend some or all of it.

Edited by NikSac
  • Love 4

True story: my anniversary (15) was also this week. I'm in the middle of a movie (seats). Although it's not specific to THESE people, they treat me like I'm a servant to them when I'm making these seats. I've learned which ones will listen, which ones truly appreciate the labor intensity involved. Their expectations are completely unreasonable, and yet I keep killing myself to meet their demands. It's insane. Happens every time - although there really are some worse than others.

Anyway, the day of my anniversary, I delivered a large set of seats. And I said very distinctly, "it's my 15th anniversary today. I'm going to NOT be sewing tonight." Before I even got back to my house, I had received not one, but 2 texts telling me they HAD to have two seats for morning call, so they needed me to do them that night. I was so mad!!! I was just as mad at myself for not replying, "yes, it's still today - still my anniversary". I didn't answer at all (because that makes it go away, right?)

When I got home, I took stock and realized I could, in fact, just do names for those 2 seats because the logo was already completed. And they agreed to send someone to pick them up. I did the stupid seats.

This is the good part: when the girl from the set comes to get them, she happened to look over at the name on the last seat (it was up on my computer screen). She snorted a little, and says to me, "yeah, THAT seat. That name. That's the DIRECTOR's DOG".

And that's the crux of the whole matter. Not only do they not care if I work 100 hours per week, it didn't concern them in the LEAST that they told me to hurry and make a seat (on my anniversary, and after I'd already put in a 13 hour day) for a damn DOG. I'd like to say they aren't all that unreasonable or demanding, but I'd be lying. They're all bullies. I work for one guy (ONE!!!) who is jovial, reasonable, who calls me himself instead of going thru an assistant, and who encourages my creative suggestions. I love this guy, of course, and so he always goes to the top of the work load. But (and it's a BIIIIG BUTT), I hear from others that he's a bully. That he's unreasonable and demanding. That he's a yeller and a curser, that he can be very degrading and condescending when he chooses. He's always been good to me. Makes me feel valuable. It the consensus is that he's a bully just like the rest of them.

• Love 5

Happy Valentine's Day!! & Happy Anniversary, to those celebrating!!

My birthday is Feb 23 & my sister's is the 24th. I was her 5th Birthday present. Our Mom says she wished one of us would have been a Valentine's baby but I guess the stars didn't align right. She used to kid my sister when she got older that she would have named her Valentina if she was, (not really)which my sister hated.

Happy- I feel bad you had to do the extra chairs on your anniversary. But I would have done the same thing.

Edited by Barb23

Happy Valentine's everyone!

I am getting over the norovirus. Google it if you'd like to understand the fun I've been having since Thursday night. I've lost 7 pounds. It was brutal.

Oh, that is awful. I've never been so sick as when I had it several years ago. I hope you feel better soon.

• Love 1

Happy Valentine's everyone!

I am getting over the norovirus. Google it if you'd like to understand the fun I've been having since Thursday night. I've lost 7 pounds. It was brutal.

So sorry, EMMA675. Hope you feel better and appetite returns soon.

• Love 2

I'M GOING TO DISNEY!!!!!!!!!

It's winter break for the kids around here, and my son has annual passes, so they were going anyway. Sonny and I were talking about getting away for a few days to some place warmer (I know, I know...waaaaaaa said the girl in GEORGIA. BUT ITS COLD TO ME!!!!!). Anyway, somehow we managed to get hooked up to their wagon and off we go tomorrow morning! We went this time last year, and the "magic" cancelled out the freezing cold rain we stood in for fireworks. I wore 4 layers of clothes (as did everyone else), my feet were frozen, I was a Popsicle - and I loved every minute. I've said for the last few years that Peyton wanted me to go to Disney with his family after the Super Bowl... Maybe this is the year!

You know, if I had to plan the trip, or decide what we're doing and when, I wouldn't be doing this Disney thing at all. The beauty of these trips is my DIL. They have children 7 and 13, so she makes maps and schedules fast passes - and I don't have to do a thing but keep my eyes on her butt and she charges thru crowds. I never have a clue what's on the agenda, or where we're currently charging off to. I just have to follow Deena's butt. Sometimes my husband or someone else will say "which way is the _____?" What? I have no idea. No sense of direction, no sense of time, no need to remember ANYTHING. She tells me what to pack, what the weather will be, reminds me of things she knows I'll forget, then wiggles me around thru those parks so I never miss anything. When we get up in the mornings, she tells me what I need to dress for, and I do it and follow her out the door. It's a little like Disney for a retirement home (or with my own caregiver), but I don't care.

Emma, wow, I googled that virus. Yuck!!! I hope you're feeling better. Nasty stuff!

• Love 6

I'M GOING TO DISNEY!!!!!!!!!

It's winter break for the kids around here, and my son has annual passes, so they were going anyway. Sonny and I were talking about getting away for a few days to some place warmer (I know, I know...waaaaaaa said the girl in GEORGIA. BUT ITS COLD TO ME!!!!!). Anyway, somehow we managed to get hooked up to their wagon and off we go tomorrow morning! We went this time last year, and the "magic" cancelled out the freezing cold rain we stood in for fireworks. I wore 4 layers of clothes (as did everyone else), my feet were frozen, I was a Popsicle - and I loved every minute. I've said for the last few years that Peyton wanted me to go to Disney with his family after the Super Bowl... Maybe this is the year!

Oh so jealous. I've only been once to Disnyworld (cause we live so close to Disneyland) and I LOVED it. Especially Epcot and Animal kingdom. How nice that you don't have to do the planning and arranging. You have certainly earned it. Nice Karma for doing the seat sewing on your anniversary. Enjoy!

• Love 1

Happy - I'm jealous too. You are so lucky that DIL takes care of things. Have a great time !!

We're having record heat.  I'm not exactly thrilled.

I'll trade your heat with my 2-3" of fresh snow that's being topped off with freezing rain : )
  • Love 2

Well everyone needs to come to Houston Tx, Low tonight 49, high tomorrow about 80 with low humidity . However you do not want to visit in august when we will have a low at night of 79 and high of 97 with about 75% humidity . We can all go visit someone who lives in the north then, maybe Alaska .

• Love 1

Sound bites & phrases. What is one that you guys say over & over? One that your friends and family know you're going to say before you say it?

"Bite me." Picked it up from a friend in law school 20 + years ago, and I say it to everyone. My mom, my daughter... It just pops out. Also have really never managed to get the F-bomb under control.

I'm looking this over and wow, I sound pretty disreputable!

• Love 6

Checking in from Disney just to make sure you're all still jealous. We're at the Yacht Club resort (ridiculously expensive, but gorgeous and lots of extra touches and the scene from our balcony is stunning.). QqqqqqqaàqWe're all staying together in the same room, and it's just amazing. I love this place. Saw the new castle light show tonight (not much difference). Watched the fireworks with awe and wonder... I turn into a six year old with good fireworks. I plan to park my butt right in line with them all week. Tomorrow is Epcot.

• Love 11

Checking in from Disney just to make sure you're all still jealous. We're at the Yacht Club resort (ridiculously expensive, but gorgeous and lots of extra touches and the scene from our balcony is stunning.). QqqqqqqaàqWe're all staying together in the same room, and it's just amazing. I love this place. Saw the new castle light show tonight (not much difference). Watched the fireworks with awe and wonder... I turn into a six year old with good fireworks. I plan to park my butt right in line with them all week. Tomorrow is Epcot.

You succeeded......ohhhh soooooo jealous. But also so happy for you. Please send updates if you have time.

• Love 1

I ran into someone from my hometown last night in front of the castle. Couldn't believe it! My DIL knew she was here but didn't expect to see her. I've known this girl her entire life. I didn't even know she was here - we just stopped and stared at each other for a second... So bizarre!

• Love 3

I ran into someone from my hometown last night in front of the castle. Couldn't believe it! My DIL knew she was here but didn't expect to see her. I've known this girl her entire life. I didn't even know she was here - we just stopped and stared at each other for a second... So bizarre!

That has happened to us twice at WDW and I'm convinced it's some kind of Disney magic. We ran into my kids' teammates (from Canada) on the bridge to Tomorrowland and a friend of mine (from New York) in a shop at Downtown Disney. 

There are no words to describe how jealous I am, by the way. Staying at the Yacht Club is on my bucket list. Say hi to that pool for me.

• Love 2