Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

6 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

I posted a rather long, and kind, post before I went to bed comparing our group here to what I found on FreeJinger yesterday. ( I found a lot of politics, bad language, and bad grammar (LOL)), and stated that it has changed a lot since I left there to come here.  I also praised our group for tolerance, kindness, and caring.  My post is nowhere to be found.

Its sad because we are all discussing how we would like to remain here and NOT go to other sites.

• Like 17
  • Love 1
33 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

I posted a rather long, and kind, post before I went to bed comparing our group here to what I found on FreeJinger yesterday. ( I found a lot of politics, bad language, and bad grammar (LOL)), and stated that it has changed a lot since I left there to come here.  I also praised our group for tolerance, kindness, and caring.  My post is nowhere to be found.

Well , I guess FreeJinger is not for me. While I could overlook bad grammar politics and bad language are a no for me. I come here to relax and it is stressful to read the political posts and the arguments that are sure to follow. The bad language...I just don’t want to read it. 

• Like 7
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

I looked over the site. You can avoid what you want to avoid. It is a lot and seems easier than Reddit.

@crazycatlady58

Yeah, everything is compartmentalized. There's plenty of cursing here, too (guilty). 😀

The demographics there are very similar to here, female, older, educated. They do have more younger posters, so there is actually more diversity. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
17 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Yeah, everything is compartmentalized. There's plenty of cursing here, too (guilty). 😀

The demographics there are very similar to here, female, older, educated. They do have more younger posters, so there is actually more diversity. 

I really have not noticed a lot of cursing here. I have known people who could not complete a sentence without a curse word ( and it was usually F*** . I hate that word .I did not stay around them) so that's what I was thinking.  If I can avoid the political talk I am good.  More diversity is good. I am old, 67, and just go to work and church  so hearing different viewpoints is welcome. see you there, probably. 

• Like 5

The fun thing about threads there is that they can off topic and fun chit chat occurs until something else topical happens. The vibe is really chill. And politics has its own separate forum, so it isn't in your face, but it's there if that's your jam. 

• Like 6
  • Useful 3
24 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

The fun thing about threads there is that they can off topic and fun chit chat occurs until something else topical happens. The vibe is really chill. And politics has its own separate forum, so it isn't in your face, but it's there if that's your jam. 

Fantastic!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

Well, I do find it hard to tolerate bad grammar 😆

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Well , I guess FreeJinger is not for me. While I could overlook bad grammar politics and bad language are a no for me. I come here to relax and it is stressful to read the political posts and the arguments that are sure to follow. The bad language...I just don’t want to read it. 

Was this intentional?  😉 ♥️

Edited by Ancaster
  • LOL 6
(edited)
2 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I  think some of the "bad grammar" you see comes from posters for whom English isn't their first language. There are a lot of international posters there, especially from Germany. 

Edited by Salacious Kitty
Autofill got me again!
  • Like 5
  • Useful 4
(edited)
18 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

50 mods down to 2? That's crazy. 

Have others read the Primetimer thread on Reddit? It's pretty elucidating 😉

Edited by graefin
  • Like 10
  • Useful 6

I remain confused and stumped as to why there is even a question about Counting On maybe being closed. I think we all are a great group of posters who have a wide spectrum on the subjects here. I have been here since 2014 and, yes, this is my private, guilty pleasure. I enjoy reading all points of view and different beliefs. We don't judge each other here for those differences. If this comes to be, I will miss all of you a great deal and since I am not very computer literate, I doubt that I will know how to follow some of you who choose to continue on to another site. It would be a very sad day for me. How do we make this not happen? 

• Like 10
  • Hugs 3
  • Love 6

If anyone wants to see a "green light" forum, to go Major Crimes.  The new person in charge made a congratulatory post and told them all the things they are doing correctly.  Apparently no complaints have been received about this forum.

• Useful 5
On 3/1/2024 at 5:27 PM, CalicoKitty said:

Something big is going on since the red light--and entire forum shutdown has happened all of a sudden.  I wonder if we will ever really find out what is going on.

Maybe the whole site got bought by fundamentalists of some kind? (that's the only thing that makes sense to me) hope I don't get dinged for saying this.🙄😝

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 10
2 minutes ago, zoomama said:

if you are all on FB, we could make a smalltalk group there?

I'm on FB! I am already so sad at the thought of us never "talking"to each other again! Breaks my heart. This forum has helped me so much through so many highs and lows of my life.

• Like 7
  • Hugs 6
1 hour ago, ChiCricket said:

Maybe the whole site got bought by fundamentalists of some kind? (that's the only thing that makes sense to me) hope I don't get dinged for saying this.🙄😝

It was not Jill R. Maybe JB Duggar lol.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
(edited)
27 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

🤣🤣🤣 JB  buys and breaks Primetimer trying to emulate Elon  breaking twitter.  🤣

Edited by crazy8s
  • LOL 15
4 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

🤣🤣🤣 JB  buys and breaks Primetimer trying to emulate Elon  breaking twitter.  🤣

I never liked Twitter, but I do like Primetimer!

• Like 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, zoomama said:

if you are all on FB, we could make a smalltalk group there?

I have never been on Facebook. 

1 hour ago, oliviabenson said:

I set up discord and Reddit for us to chat. Feel free to join, dm me for the links. 

I have tried very hard to do Discord to join in with a bunch of people I know, but for some reason that has never worked out well for me. 

Alas, this is probably my last refuge to chat. I would miss all of you dearly if this site went down. 

• Like 7
  • Hugs 7
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I just had a thought if TPB think we are a problem I guess they haven't checked out My 600 Pound Life.  I can't wait to see their response to that forum. 

I think the Community Survey led them here. I doubt they would have bothered a bunch of harmless middle aged ladies otherwise. 

• Like 10
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 5

I never liked Twitter, but I do like Primetimer!

The closest I've been to Twitter is hearing or seeing a tweet quoted.

33 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I have tried very hard to do Discord to join in with a bunch of people I know, but for some reason that has never worked out well for me. 

Alas, this is probably my last refuge to chat. I would miss all of you dearly if this site went down. 

I've never even heard of Discord, but it doesn't sound very inviting.

And "me too" to the bolded.  

• Like 3
  • Hugs 6
8 minutes ago, Love2dance said:

So, I bit the bullet and signed up on Free Jinger, just in case this forum gets shut down. It’s HUGE. Where do y’all hang out there?

Duggars, Bateses, and Rods all have their own forums. I try to keep up with them, but the Rod thread moves FAST! 😀

• Like 6
  • Useful 3
25 minutes ago, Ancaster said:

Discord is a server to chat on. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, Ancaster said:

It's just an app to chat on, that you can also use with your browser. You can have different forums on a server. You can make calls with it, and have group chats, if you want to. Or stick with text. 

• Thanks 2
  • Useful 1

Discord is a server to chat on. 

I downloaded the Discord App.  Please tell me what to do next when our site is set up.  I may need your help!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
49 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

Discord sounds like what we need--a place to meet and post.

I don't really think that we are being red-lighted because of anything we did in particular.  I think it was several people filing many complaints.  I get the feeling that the person in charge reacts instead of investigating, and complainers have figured that out.  We have not had the chance to explain the difference between a scripted show and a reality show.  We have not been given a chance to show how respectful and diverse this group is.  We have not been given any direction on how to "clean up our act".  The complainers have finally figured out how to shut us down.  Look at the Shopping Channel forum.  It disappeared literally right before our eyes.  On the Major Crimes forum, which is a green-light forum, NO COMPLAINTS was mentioned as one of the things that makes them a green forum. 

Our personal feelings do not appear to count for anything.  How is that following the guidelines or showing kindness to other posters?

If only the complainers would just go away. If they don’t like it here, they don’t have to stay 🤷‍♀️

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 4
  • Useful 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, oliviabenson said:
7 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

🙄😝

Are you telling me that Jillpm doesn't make forum buying money from her Plexus hustle? 😉🤣

Edited by ChiCricket
  • LOL 7
2 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

Discord sounds like what we need--a place to meet and post.

Is it posting in real time though? I don't think I'd like that. I just like to read and post when I get around to it in my own sweet time. (But I'm sure that for those who want to chat in real time it would be a good place for them.)

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, ChiCricket said:

Is it posting in real time though? I don't think I'd like that. I just like to read and post when I get around to it in my own sweet time. (But I'm sure that for those who want to chat in real time it would be a good place for them.)

I really have no idea.  I had never heard of the site until yesterday.  I would hope the posts are readable at any time, like this site.  But you have a good point, and we need to find out more.

• Like 3

I decided to ask for help with the titles for the locked threads.

I’m hoping it will be seen as a first step good faith gesture that we want to keep this forum and we’re willing to work towards turning it green.  💚

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
35 minutes ago, Joan of Argh said:

I decided to ask for help with the titles for the locked threads.

I’m hoping it will be seen as a first step good faith gesture that we want to keep this forum and we’re willing to work towards turning it green.  💚

Those titles have been around for years. If the new mods are so offended, they can change them into something dull. No need to put the thread under detention for something they have no control over.

I have no words for the fever dream guidelines. We are all now offenders, but have no ideal what we did and to whom.

But I will offer my views on this forum. I never liked the Duggars or that Jill Rodriques character and I enjoy reading the snark. But this forum often seems like a platform for Karens in training. Sometimes the level of relentless hounding of non important issues. makes folks appear unbalanced.

I would hope this site continues, but with the back to back shutdowns and incomprehensible new guidelines, who knows?

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

Good Monday Morning STers!

Lets hope our weekend spent in the red light zone, has been much ado about nothing.

This confusion and lockdown has, in a small way, reminded me of the confusion and lockdown during the early days and months of the pandemic. This thread, this community of STers, was a soft place to land to feel less confused, less alone and a place to have some normalcy in our days, when it seemed the whole world was figuring out what our lives would look like. And it still is that place.

Its my hope the Duggar threads (and PT) remain open and we can continue laughing, sharing, supporting and yes, snarking together, for many years to come.

Today is a good day to have a good day. 💚

• Like 12
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Duggars, Bateses, and Rods all have their own forums. I try to keep up with them, but the Rod thread moves FAST! 😀

Same with me. I occasionally pop over to a few of the other snark pages as well. 

• Like 2

I could care less about the duggers, I am here for the rods...and I wonder what caused the red danger zone...I have perused Free Jinger and am on reddit...

• Like 6
9 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

If you've ever used Slack, Discord is somewhat similar, although in my experience less user-friendly. You can post in real time, but also scroll back and catch up on conversations. 

It's also somewhat similar to Reddit, in that the quality/enjoyment of using any given Discord is heavily dependent on that particular Discord, the number of members, and the moderation. I've usually found little Discords (like ten people) to be ok, and larger discords (100 or more) to be virtually impossible for me to use.

That said I am not exactly the most tech-savvy person out there. I suspect people who are better with computers than I am (which, let's face it, is almost everyone) have a better time on Discord and/or find it easier to use.

• Like 2
  • Useful 4