Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, Jeeves said:

Week before last I drove up to Fort Morgan to catch the arrival there of Amtrak's westbound California Zephyr. (It's #5 WB and #6 EB.) It's scheduled to arrive around 5AM, but is often late. I woke up extra early that day, checked the Amtrak train tracking page and saw #5 was running late, and decided since the weather was good and I wanted to take the new car on a ride - I'd make the 90 minute trek up there.

I was rewarded with the Zephyr arriving at the station along with the sun, and got this picture. A local guy gets there every morning and takes video of the train's arrival/departure, and posts the videos on his YouTube channel. I enjoy talking with him. I blame the pandemic for my train-watching hobby, mild as it is. I've done the Fort Morgan trip before. I drove home via the backroads. Just enjoyed the scenery, and didn't do photography. I was on state highways without shoulders and (heresy!) not in the mood to spend hours detouring off my route to take photos.

20230303-FortMorgan-20-a-2.thumb.jpg.72f5933941afd513aded68dee4d68ac2.jpg

I have a cousin here who is a train lover. He and his wife have planned entire vacations around various rail lines he wanted to see.   He even volunteers with the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad which runs through the nearby national park on day trips.  Beautiful scenery, especially in the fall.  

https://www.cvsr.org/

• Like 5
12 hours ago, awaken said:

@Jeeves, that’s great!  My son is a huge Amtrak fan and I’m sure will enjoy seeing this photo!  

Thanks. I hope he likes it.

12 hours ago, jcbrown said:

That is a great photo, @Jeeves. I saw Shark Tank last week included a pitch for this company and believe it or not, I thought of you. Their stuff is pricey but I thought you might be interested.

Thanks! That product is interesting. As you said, expensive. But could be worth it for some people. My issue with it, is its height off the floor. There's not a lot of headroom in the back of a minivan, and by the time I put my mattress + pads on top of a sleeping platform or cot, it can be so high I can't sit up in bed. A no-no for someone with a wonky neck (ask me how I know).  I've watched way too many YT videos about equipping the back of a minivan or SUV for sleeping. What cracks me up are the athletic 20-somethings who create elevated sleeping platforms in the back of their vehicles, where the bed is so high and close to the ceiling that you def can't sit up in it. And pretty much have to climb/crawl into and out of it.  More power to them, but that ain't for me. 🙂

That platform is IMO another indication that outfitting vehicles for overnight sleeping is a growth industry. Three years ago when I bought that old minivan, I had to make my own window covers for privacy when sleeping. It took awhile, and the total material cost wasn't dirt cheap. I had to make templates of each window, then cut out the Reflectix. And cover one side of each of the covers with black fabric or contact paper. The Reflectix is shiny silver, and I wanted the window covers as seen from outside to be more discreet. 

Now, three years later? Weathertech and Heatshield  sell custom sets of window covers for pretty much all vehicles. For IMO reasonable prices. I ordered a set from Weathertech for the new minivan; black on one side, silver on the other.  Sweet!

@BetyBee and @andromeda331, I'm sorry about your struggles with eczema. I hope you get relief!

• Like 7

@Jeeves We are outfitting our mini van for camping right now too. We go on our first trip next week. We’re staying within Florida just in case there are issues we haven’t anticipated. I’ve probably watched some of the same YouTube videos, it’s amazing what some folks build. We’re keeping it simple for now. We previously traveled in a Class B van and before that a teardrop camper and liked the camping experience, but are definitely trying to keep it easy and low maintenance.

• Like 8
6 hours ago, ozziemom said:

@Jeeves We are outfitting our mini van for camping right now too. We go on our first trip next week. We’re staying within Florida just in case there are issues we haven’t anticipated. I’ve probably watched some of the same YouTube videos, it’s amazing what some folks build. We’re keeping it simple for now. We previously traveled in a Class B van and before that a teardrop camper and liked the camping experience, but are definitely trying to keep it easy and low maintenance.

I hope you have a good time!

• Like 4

I cried at the dentist today.  Not because of pain, but because I was there for my first ever filling, at the age of 59.

I think it was because I felt ashamed and embarrassed that during two years of enforced isolation and endless downtime when I could have flossed and brushed for hours on end, instead I neglected my teeth.  (My previous visit was just before the pandemic started.)  The dentist was very kind.

• Hugs 18
On 3/9/2023 at 6:57 AM, Ohiopirate02 said:

The appeal of Waffle House is the show that may or may not accompany your meal.  The odds increase exponentially for that show as the sun goes down.  And the late night staff at a Waffle House is a special group of people that you need to meet at least once in your life.  Those servers are the sweetest people who will call your drunk ass darlin, sweetie, sugar, honey, etc. until they are called upon, then they can cut a bitch and will.  

I found this on my FB feed today.  Immediately recalled the Waffle House discussion above. 

wafflehouse.thumb.jpg.3b60c084a94ef4aa4ece128cca61a1d6.jpg

On 3/17/2023 at 8:22 PM, Leeds said:

I cried at the dentist today.  Not because of pain, but because I was there for my first ever filling, at the age of 59.

I think it was because I felt ashamed and embarrassed that during two years of enforced isolation and endless downtime when I could have flossed and brushed for hours on end, instead I neglected my teeth.  (My previous visit was just before the pandemic started.)  The dentist was very kind.

I'm so sorry you felt so bad about the filling. Are you sure it was down to anything you did or failed to do? As we age, the changes in our teeth and gums increase the likelihood of cavities. It seems like your dental hygiene practices are fine. I'm truly awed by your not needing a filling until age 59. Gobsmacked, actually. My hat's off to your wonderful care of your teeth and gums. Not kidding. 

• Like 15
  • Hugs 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Jeeves said:

I'm so sorry you felt so bad about the filling. Are you sure it was down to anything you did or failed to do? As we age, the changes in our teeth and gums increase the likelihood of cavities. It seems like your dental hygiene practices are fine. I'm truly awed by your not needing a filling until age 59. Gobsmacked, actually. My hat's off to your wonderful care of your teeth and gums. Not kidding. 

Thank you for your kind words.  I'm sure the filling (and I have another scheduled for next week) is down to my bad Pandemic habits.  I've always been a bit haphazard about my routine - the only constant was brushing twice a day.  Flossing was intermittent - a couple of weeks after a visit to the dentist/hygienist because they are masters of guilt when it comes to flossing.  I know there have been a lot of nights over the last couple of years when I have gone to bed unbrushed, and morning breath is probably what has generally kept the morning routine going. Also, I've been blessed with strong, healthy gums and teeth, which makes me doubly angry with myself.

Anyway, what's done is done, onward and upward, or at least no more downward.  My situation is really so minor compared to what so many are going through, but I very much appreciate everyone's hugs and support.

• Like 6
  • Hugs 2

I've been so careful of walking outdoors this winter. Today, the last day of winter (on the calendar), I slipped on ice that shouldn't have been there. Well, some fool is draining their sump pump (or washing machine or whatever) across a public sidewalk. It looked like it was just wet, but it was ice and I fell and skinned my knee, which is aching. I complained about the water discharge to my association. They usually follow through. The new owner of that unit has a series of rinky dink looking plastic piping from the house and across the yard. It happens to drain right across the sidewalk where the high schoolers have a bus stop. We'll see if they do anything. I also complained to the city. I'm not quick to complain, but it was a nasty fall! 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 12
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, BetyBee said:

I've been so careful of walking outdoors this winter. Today, the last day of winter (on the calendar), I slipped on ice that shouldn't have been there. Well, some fool is draining their sump pump (or washing machine or whatever) across a public sidewalk. It looked like it was just wet, but it was ice and I fell and skinned my knee, which is aching. I complained about the water discharge to my association. They usually follow through. The new owner of that unit has a series of rinky dink looking plastic piping from the house and across the yard. It happens to drain right across the sidewalk where the high schoolers have a bus stop. We'll see if they do anything. I also complained to the city. I'm not quick to complain, but it was a nasty fall! 

You have my sympathy.  Nothing is more slippery than watery ice.

I'm happy as I've discovered the one show I've watched on HGTV in recent years, "Houses with History" will return for season 2 on Saturday April 8th!  They only had 6 episodes back in fall 2021, didn't announce it would return until April 2022, and fans have been anxiously waiting.

• Like 8
20 hours ago, sagittarius sue said:

You have my sympathy.  Nothing is more slippery than watery ice.

I'm happy as I've discovered the one show I've watched on HGTV in recent years, "Houses with History" will return for season 2 on Saturday April 8th!  They only had 6 episodes back in fall 2021, didn't announce it would return until April 2022, and fans have been anxiously waiting.

Oh good.  Maybe they are going back towards home and gardens.  I can’t take any more flipping shows   Teach me what to plant , where and when 

• Like 9

I got right back on the horse today. Well, the ground anyway. My knee was feeling better, so I went for a walk, steering clear of the stupid watery ice. Which has melted anyway. It's a beautiful first day of spring, so we also got the new car washed. It's red and it looks gorgeous all cleaned up! I got a 90 on my sleep number, so I'm definitely feeling better. I feel like I need to keep moving though, because my knee stiffens up. I'm sure there's arthritis there anyway. 

I get sick of the flipping shows too. Even when I like the work, the hosts seem to do pretty much the same thing in every house.

If you follow the Duggars/Bates on Reddit, some poster has been posting various parts of the episode where the Duggars helped the Bates by making a huge addition on their house. The videos have everything. JB thinking big, 55 people using one bathroom that is likely on a septic system, the kids when they were adorable, questionable looking meals, and a pregnant Kelly Jo. It's probably on YouTube, but I've been enjoying it in 12 minute increments, with funny comments!

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
19 minutes ago, dariafan said:

Oh good.  Maybe they are going back towards home and gardens.  I can’t take any more flipping shows   Teach me what to plant , where and when 

They have gotten away from the gardening part.  Although I don't garden myself I've noticed that area is covered mostly by segments on local channels.  

This show is about preserving historical elements in houses from the 1600s to about 1900 while blending in modern conveniences that home buyers require.  In the six episodes of the first season they did a beautiful job.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
3 minutes ago, sagittarius sue said:

They have gotten away from the gardening part.  Although I don't garden myself I've noticed that area is covered mostly by segments on local channels.  

This show is about preserving historical elements in houses from the 1600s to about 1900 while blending in modern conveniences that home buyers require.  In the six episodes of the first season they did a beautiful job.

That sounds really interesting, @sagittarius sue! I love old houses. I've lived in 2 of them and modern conveniences were always welcome!

• Love 3

Teevee life and real life are meeting up about 90 minutes northeast of me. Remember that train picture I posted the other day? That was taken in Fort Morgan, Colorado. Which has had one of those town takeover makeovers by HGTV. Results to be revealed on the show next month. If I'd known when I was there, I'd have cruised around town to look at whatever was visible. Missed my chance for my personal sneak preview. 

https://www.denverpost.com/2023/03/16/hgtvs-home-town-takes-fort-morgan-viral-in-april/

https://www.hgtv.com/shows/home-town-takeover/articles/season-2-location-announcement

• Like 2
  • Useful 4
42 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Teevee life and real life are meeting up about 90 minutes northeast of me. Remember that train picture I posted the other day? That was taken in Fort Morgan, Colorado. Which has had one of those town takeover makeovers by HGTV. Results to be revealed on the show next month. If I'd known when I was there, I'd have cruised around town to look at whatever was visible. Missed my chance for my personal sneak preview. 

https://www.denverpost.com/2023/03/16/hgtvs-home-town-takes-fort-morgan-viral-in-april/

https://www.hgtv.com/shows/home-town-takeover/articles/season-2-location-announcement

That is so interesting!

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Jeeves said:

Interesting. We watch Home Town and are close enough for a getaway to Laurel.  But I am afraid Ben and Erin are going all "Gaines" and doing to Laurel what the gainseses did to Waco. Books and other Merch too. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

Following up on my earlier post about crying at the dentist's, I'm happy to say that I managed yesterday's appointment without the tears.  In fact, I left laughing and kind of horrified because on her way out, the dentist told me about a patient who asked her for a pair of her shoes to keep under his bed!!!

• Like 6
  • LOL 1

My phone runs pics up in the right hand corner. A pic of my Mom from her 90th birthday popped up and I was shocked to see how much her health has declined in the past 2.5 years. She was standing unassisted and holding flowers that were a gift to her. She can no longer stand or walk unassisted. It was a sad eye opener. She had a joyful smile in the picture and now she's mostly down. I took her to the doctor the other day. It was quite an ordeal getting her in and out of the car and around the building, and helping her to use the restroom. We used her wheelchair, but it was still difficult. We "kids" range from 57 to 70, so we're not getting any younger. She has insisted on staying in her own home. How I wish she had moved to assisted living years ago. Although, I have to admit that during Covid pre-vaccinations, I was grateful that she wasn't in a group setting. I guess there is no perfect answer. 😥 

• Hugs 11
  • Sad 4
8 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

How I wish she had moved to assisted living years ago. Although, I have to admit that during Covid pre-vaccinations, I was grateful that she wasn't in a group setting. I guess there is no perfect answer. 😥 

I'm sorry for your mother's situation (and yours in relation to it), and I agree, there isn't a perfect answer.

I've been thinking about the pandemic's impact on group facilities (nursing homes, assisted living, etc.) again today. Two years ago today one of my best friends died. She'd been under in-home hospice care so it wasn't a shock, but still a surprise. The hospice plan had specifically mentioned a review in a few months' time, not imminent death. 

We (me, her sister, and a mutual friend) had been knocking our heads against walls trying to help her as her health failed. And among all the specific issues of her situation - there was the brick wall of the pandemic. Sadly, my friend had received her two shots of the COVID vaccine (I drove her to get them) and was talking about getting out and about again as weak as she was, just before she died. But in the year before the vaccine, going into a nursing or assisted living facility was - IMO too high risk. And even getting anyone into her condo to help her, pre-vaccine, was risky. I swear, I've second-guessed myself too much. Thinking I coulda shoulda gone in and helped at least clean up the place, etc. Then I remember that in those pre-vaccine months, I could have brought the virus in with me, and she was so fragile I'm pretty sure it would have killed her.  She'd wisely self-quarantined, with InstaCart deliveries etc. to keep things going. I occasionally brought things to her but left them at her door and didn't go inside.

Yep, no perfect answers at all. BTW I'm much more at peace about my friend and the whole thing, after some time to process it all.

• Hugs 15
30 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

I'm sorry for your mother's situation (and yours in relation to it), and I agree, there isn't a perfect answer.

I've been thinking about the pandemic's impact on group facilities (nursing homes, assisted living, etc.) again today. Two years ago today one of my best friends died. She'd been under in-home hospice care so it wasn't a shock, but still a surprise. The hospice plan had specifically mentioned a review in a few months' time, not imminent death. 

We (me, her sister, and a mutual friend) had been knocking our heads against walls trying to help her as her health failed. And among all the specific issues of her situation - there was the brick wall of the pandemic. Sadly, my friend had received her two shots of the COVID vaccine (I drove her to get them) and was talking about getting out and about again as weak as she was, just before she died. But in the year before the vaccine, going into a nursing or assisted living facility was - IMO too high risk. And even getting anyone into her condo to help her, pre-vaccine, was risky. I swear, I've second-guessed myself too much. Thinking I coulda shoulda gone in and helped at least clean up the place, etc. Then I remember that in those pre-vaccine months, I could have brought the virus in with me, and she was so fragile I'm pretty sure it would have killed her.  She'd wisely self-quarantined, with InstaCart deliveries etc. to keep things going. I occasionally brought things to her but left them at her door and didn't go inside.

Yep, no perfect answers at all. BTW I'm much more at peace about my friend and the whole thing, after some time to process it all.

@Jeeves - the woulda coulda shouldas do nag at us, but clearly you did all you could under the circumstances. The pandemic has been so hard on everyone. I think of kids doing remote learning, parents trying to help and to keep their jobs, college kids missing graduations, postponed weddings and old people who are confused as to why they no longer had visitors. And of course all the untimely deaths and long term covid cases. It was all new for all of us and we plugged along as best we could! 

• Like 5
  • Love 5

I really dislike the commercial that says "we promised Dad we would keep Mom at home".  Maybe that is not what is best for Mom.  My dad wanted us to promise to keep Mom out of a nusing home.  I promised I would make absolutely sure that that she was in a situation that was the very best for her.  In both their cases, it was assisted living.  Often, emotions get in the way of reality regarding care for our loved ones.  Neither my brother or I could be with our parents 24/7.  We hired in-home carers, and one of us checked in every day.  After a couple of falls, they were moved to a beautiful assisted living facility.  We were in a better situation than a lot of people because we knew a lot of the administrators and  staff, but one of us was there every day so our parents could make a better adjustment.  It actually cost much less than the in-home carers.  I realize everyone's situation is different, but this worked for us.  No one, including TV commercials, should make a grown child feel guilty for finding alternative care for their parents.  Everyone wants the very best for their elders.  Just because a parent "doesn't want to move" is not a reason for not having the best of care.  Jill's Ma would be so much better off if she could live somewhere without a hoard of uneducated, delusioned people around telling her what to do.

• Like 8
  • Applause 7

hey ya'll, i made it home!   boy was it a long 3 weeks but i enjoyed the time with my grandkids so much. my DIL is doing very well following a serious surgery and in fact is recovering very fast. i was able to come home much earlier than i expected. things i learned: 

1. i am not a 'camper' type of gal, although i did enjoy it while it lasted. the trailer i stayed in had a few issues (one being it kept blowing the circuit breaker at inopportune times that left me without heat for a literally 36degree overnight once) and it had apparently had a pipe break due to a freeze just before i took possession of it that caused a consistant leak that had me mopping the floor daily, multiple times a day. after a week, i gave up, moved to a hotel and when the owner came back to town, i handed it off to him.

2. i was introduced to a new coffee in the trailer that was THE BOMB! it is called Berres Brothers coffee roasters  ' cinnaman grogg'. omg, it was so smooth. i was able to bring the bag of ground coffee home with me and they gifted me another bag of a different flavor. i am going to research it online and see if it comes in k-cups otherwise i may have to break out my new keurig with both the k-cup and the brewer pot. it was just the best.

3. i dont do tornado/serious storm warning/watches/baseball size hail etc!  i was glued to a storm watcher web site and following some really bad weather for a long afternoon one day. my DIL and grandson nearly got caught up in it driving home from baseball practice. they were literally like 10 minutes ahead of the southern storm driving north east to home with a storm right due north of us!  they got home and it started to pour and wind and little bits of hail -- we did not get the big hail but the school they had just left most certainly did get the softball sized hail.

4. three weeks is a long time to not sleep in your own bed.

5. i can drive in snow!!!  never had to before but one day on the road, woke up to snow, lots of it, and continued to be in snowy/rainy/icky conditions for about 3 hours straight.  i was so internally stressed out.

i am so glad to be home now. my internet usage was little to none, they had no tv, so i feel like i have been away from the world for so long. thankful for hotels  along the way to hear nightly news and keep up with the crazy weather here at home.

i am tired. gonna take me a few days to get my energy back, i think.

• Like 7
  • Hugs 3
  • Love 5
On 3/22/2023 at 1:09 PM, CalicoKitty said:

I really dislike the commercial that says "we promised Dad we would keep Mom at home".  Maybe that is not what is best for Mom.  

I work at a non-profit whose mission is to "Provide volunteers to enable elders to live in their own home." We struggle with the balance between providing needed services and enabling people whose needs would be better served in a facility. Especially as our clients age and begin to show signs of dementia.

• Like 3
  • Love 6

A few weeks ago, I stumbled on a podcast called "Digging Up the Duggars". Not sure how I found out about it - here? reddit? - but anyway, it's really interesting. I've been doing a LOT of walking since January - my husband was in a bad accident on Jan 2nd, and I take him to rehab for 2 hours a day and I just walk while I wait for him - so I've been binge-listening. I think there are around 40 episodes so far, each one well over an hour, and I'm up to episode 23. Each podcast recaps a different tv episode. 

The Duggar's show is long over, and yet I'm still weirdly obsessed/fascinated/repulsed by them - so this podcast caught my attention. And I really like it! What I particularly enjoy about it is its premise: re-watching the series, but now knowing The Truth about them. The first time we saw their show, it was all "oh wow, how do they manage with all those kids!" But now, knowing how Michelle never actually mothered the kids, how they had a pervert in their midst, how hypocritical they were/are.... it's a different perspective. Also, the hostess got her newbie husband to join in - so he was watching the series for the first time. A virgin, if you will!

I also like that they do a "Deep Dive" at the end of each recording. It's deep research into a side character or concept from that episode. For example, all sorts of info about Anna's brother. The Gothard opinion on adoption. Etc etc. But the hostess thoroughly researches each topic - and, despite my 10+ year obsession with this awful family, I've learned a lot of new stuff! 

Anyway... just thought I'd mention it. Fascinating listening for Duggar-obsessed people who walk a lot or drive a lot. 

• Like 6
  • Useful 6
  • Love 1
On 3/22/2023 at 2:09 PM, CalicoKitty said:

I really dislike the commercial that says "we promised Dad we would keep Mom at home".  Maybe that is not what is best for Mom.  My dad wanted us to promise to keep Mom out of a nusing home.  I promised I would make absolutely sure that that she was in a situation that was the very best for her.  In both their cases, it was assisted living.  Often, emotions get in the way of reality regarding care for our loved ones.  Neither my brother or I could be with our parents 24/7.  We hired in-home carers, and one of us checked in every day.  After a couple of falls, they were moved to a beautiful assisted living facility.  We were in a better situation than a lot of people because we knew a lot of the administrators and  staff, but one of us was there every day so our parents could make a better adjustment.  It actually cost much less than the in-home carers.  I realize everyone's situation is different, but this worked for us.  No one, including TV commercials, should make a grown child feel guilty for finding alternative care for their parents.  Everyone wants the very best for their elders.  Just because a parent "doesn't want to move" is not a reason for not having the best of care.  Jill's Ma would be so much better off if she could live somewhere without a hoard of uneducated, delusioned people around telling her what to do.

You did the right thing. I hate that commercial for the same reason. It was really hard for my dad and his siblings to put their father in an assisted living facility.  He had Alzhemier's and couldn't take care of himself and my dad and his siblings couldn't take him in. He need more help then any of them could give him but they still feel really guilty about not being able to take care of him. But it was the right thing to do. There was a well trained staff 24/7, doctors and nurses that could give him the care he needed. He did really well there. He even joined in activities they had. Moving a love one into assisted living is hard enough without having a parent make you promise to keep your father or mother at home. 

• Like 7
  • Hugs 2
7 hours ago, skatelady said:

A few weeks ago, I stumbled on a podcast called "Digging Up the Duggars". Not sure how I found out about it - here? reddit? - but anyway, it's really interesting. I've been doing a LOT of walking since January - my husband was in a bad accident on Jan 2nd, and I take him to rehab for 2 hours a day and I just walk while I wait for him - so I've been binge-listening. I think there are around 40 episodes so far, each one well over an hour, and I'm up to episode 23. Each podcast recaps a different tv episode. 

The Duggar's show is long over, and yet I'm still weirdly obsessed/fascinated/repulsed by them - so this podcast caught my attention. And I really like it! What I particularly enjoy about it is its premise: re-watching the series, but now knowing The Truth about them. The first time we saw their show, it was all "oh wow, how do they manage with all those kids!" But now, knowing how Michelle never actually mothered the kids, how they had a pervert in their midst, how hypocritical they were/are.... it's a different perspective. Also, the hostess got her newbie husband to join in - so he was watching the series for the first time. A virgin, if you will!

I also like that they do a "Deep Dive" at the end of each recording. It's deep research into a side character or concept from that episode. For example, all sorts of info about Anna's brother. The Gothard opinion on adoption. Etc etc. But the hostess thoroughly researches each topic - and, despite my 10+ year obsession with this awful family, I've learned a lot of new stuff! 

Anyway... just thought I'd mention it. Fascinating listening for Duggar-obsessed people who walk a lot or drive a lot. 

I love that podcast! Now that I've listened to all of them, I re-listen to some as I wait for a new one to come out. It's fun, informative and very chill.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, BetyBee said:

I love that podcast! Now that I've listened to all of them, I re-listen to some as I wait for a new one to come out. It's fun, informative and very chill.

And - I like their voices. And their camaraderie. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, skatelady said:

And - I like their voices. And their camaraderie. 

Yes, they are a cute couple and they remind me of a real life couple I know. When Whitney cries, so do I. She really seems to care about the Duggar kids and all they've been through. Well, cares about most of them, with one notable exception!

• Like 1
18 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Moving a love one into assisted living is hard enough without having a parent make you promise to keep your father or mother at home. 

That's why I've always been grateful that my mother advised my sister and me "I think I need assisted living.  Find me a place."  She toured three places, and picked out one that worked out fine for everyone.  She moved in July 2019 so she was set when the Covid shutdown hit.

• Like 9
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 1

We are supposed to get more rain/snow this week, but last week's rain storm did melt the snow piles on my lawn.  The ski resorts just announced that they will be open until July 4, so they have "mountains" of snow.  50 feet is the last I heard.  I think all the chain restrictions through the mountain passes were lifted yesterday, but I still don't want to drive in the mountains.  Avalanches are a real thing.  Temperatures are below normal, so flooding has been at a minimum so far.  The way this winter has been, snow all summer would not surprise me. This is the second all-time snow record, and we would need another 20 feet to pass the high record, so I will settle for coming in second.  The snow is pretty, but, my goodness, enough is enough already.

• Like 7
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Absolom said:

The next atmospheric river is due the middle of next week.  I will go out Monday or Tuesday to do the errands and buy some more food.  

We're getting hit Tuesday into Wednesday. So sick of this. Bring on the tee shirt weather!

• Like 6

Yep.  Snow/rain Tuesday and Wednesday here, too.  This really is getting more than tiresome.  Our temps are below normal, so I'm hoping we will hit the high 40's this week.  I thought there was about 50' of snow in the mountains, but the paper today said over 56' is on the ground.  We would need 10' more to break the all-time record (since they have been keeping records), and, while that is probably not going to happen, I actually wouldn't be totally shocked if it did.  The weather this year is just goofy.

Edited by CalicoKitty
forgot a word.
  • Like 7
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

If I ever get a dog I’m naming him:

Fig Newton or Charles Spurgeon lol

I'm glad to see that you wouldn't burden a poor dog with Spurge as a first name.

On the weather front, in the Twin Cities we're on flood watch in several locations but I'm fine where I live.  We've had just over 80 inches of snow, 30 more than the average, with rain, snow or other precipitation later this upcoming week.  We've had measurable snow cover since November 29, although we probably won't reach the maximum number of days.

• Mind Blown 4
  • Love 2

I hope everyone in the southern US is doing ok after the storms and tornados.  That's been a huge fear of mine for many years.  My grandma was struck by lightning as a child, and my aunt had damage to her mobile home from a tornado when I was older.  There is still a cut line in the ridge of the mountains from where it touched down.  For Baltimore, our official measurements are taken at BWI, which is south of the city.  We have managed to make it through the winter with no snow.  There are a few snow resorts out in the panhandle, and I can't imagine they did well.  

One last thing-if you are in the good thoughts/prayers area, there were two horrific accidents down here this week.  The first was on Wednesday on the Beltway (giant loop that surrounds the city).  The 'what' part is still being figured out, but a woman managed to flip her car into a construction zone and killed 6 workers, 4 men (including a father/son team), and 1 woman.  The driver was flown to Shock Trauma in critical condition.  The second was a tanker truck that exploded on another major route off of the beltway.  Thankfully, the driver was rescued and taken to ST in serious condition, but last I heard, he's supposed to survive.  There were no other injuries in that accident.  We lived here since 12/03; first an apartment, and we bought our house in 2006.  Traffic can be downright frightening.  The beltway is used as the Indy 500.  95 gets used to traffic drugs from Florida to New York.  We had a close call today with traffic randomly stopping, and I'm so grateful that my car was able to begin to apply the brakes before I did to slow us down faster.  Earleen earned a gold star today!

• Hugs 8
  • Love 5

It seems the US weather is headline news every day now. Hugs to all of you who have been impacted by it. Spring is trying hard here in New England, so fingers crossed it arrives before summer does.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Like 9