Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

On 2/25/2022 at 1:55 AM, CalicoKitty said:

It's cold outside tonight, and Lily found a nice warm place for herself.  Sometimes I wish I was a cat.IMG_0928.jpg.45e507b6adfa24bf3d4eca67d6af4c40.jpg

I would love to come back as a well loved rich persons house cat. They live the life. Sweet Lily!

Small talk friends, in entertainment news: I saw an ad today that Pachinko is going to be a series on Apple TV. Let me tell you all, Pachinko was my FAVORITE book of 2017, there was a point I was reading on my way home, and I GASPED OUT LOUD on the Chicago L red line (our public train). Yes. the AIR left my chest it was so juicy!

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

@GEEGOLLY in answer to your question as to how Christians keep their faith when their prayers are not answered all I can talk about is my faith and me. My faith is part of me is the best way to describe how I feel. I have always believed as far back as I can remember and losing that would be losing part of myself. I don't have better words to describe it. However there are as many answers to your question as there is Christians.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
47 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

@GEEGOLLY in answer to your question as to how Christians keep their faith when their prayers are not answered all I can talk about is my faith and me. My faith is part of me is the best way to describe how I feel. I have always believed as far back as I can remember and losing that would be losing part of myself. I don't have better words to describe it. However there are as many answers to your question as there is Christians.

Thank you for answering. Maybe my question was more naïve than I thought, because I was asking how one might keep their faith in prayers, rather than keep their faith. But maybe they are one and the same?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

I would love to come back as a well loved rich persons house cat. They live the live. Sweet Lily!

Small talk friends, in entertainment news: I saw an ad today that Pachinko is going to be a series on Apple TV. Let me tell you all, Pachinko was my FAVORITE book of 2017, there was a point I was reading on my way home, and I GASPED OUT LOUD on the Chicago L red line (our public train). Yes. the AIR left my chest it was so juicy!

That could be a very good show if done right. The book was excellent!

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, ozziemom said:

That could be a very good show if done right. The book was excellent!

Oh it was so good. I laughed, I cried, I gasped out loud on public transit. Y'all know I LOVE a family saga. Lee Minho is in it, and he is a very profilic Korean actor. So many handsome men from the previews. When we get a forum I will be OVER THERE to gush. 

I am glad they are doing a series and not a movie- its a family saga that spans 70years, a series is much better to tell that type of story.

22 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Thank you for answering. Maybe my question was more naïve than I thought, because I was asking how one might keep their faith in prayers, rather than keep their faith. But maybe they are one and the same?

I am agnostic, but as I have understood it, one may pray, but God may not "say yes" all the time. Just because you ask, doesn't mean you are guaranteed to get the answer you want. 

• Love 5

replying in regard to the comments in jill's thread about praying:

i am trying to not get political and get in trouble but this is history happening in front of our eyes so:

i can only speak for myself here but i believe that God hears my prayers and will honor them in the best way He sees fit. so, in fact, i did not share 'praying hands' or 'i will pray'. what i did do however, is legitimately pray and i literally  prayed on facebook via my written words.  if other folks know that we are concerned, that's what starts donations and volunteerism and makes change. my words asked for safety for the Ukrainian people and even for the Russian folks that are being targeted because they disagree with what their leader is doing. i asked for intervention on behalf of the innocent ones. 

i believe God himself hears our prayers and will intervene in our behalf, regardless of if we are Catholic, born again Christian or Jewish or whatever. He hears our cry. God loves and chooses each of us and wants to respond to us. God doesn't create the chaos, but sometimes He has to allow it to unfold to achieve the final victory. and that is wiping satan and his helpers from the face of the world. so yes, praying itself is helpful. just posting praying hands and doing nothing else is really just for show. 

IMHO

• Useful 3
  • Love 7

We got the snow, sleet and freezing rain. It was really bad here this morning. Now most roads have been treated, it’s a balmy 36°, and it sounds like it’s pouring outside, but it’s just everything melting. 😁

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, zoomama said:

replying in regard to the comments in jill's thread about praying:

i am trying to not get political and get in trouble but this is history happening in front of our eyes so:

i can only speak for myself here but i believe that God hears my prayers and will honor them in the best way He sees fit. so, in fact, i did not share 'praying hands' or 'i will pray'. what i did do however, is legitimately pray and i literally  prayed on facebook via my written words.  if other folks know that we are concerned, that's what starts donations and volunteerism and makes change. my words asked for safety for the Ukrainian people and even for the Russian folks that are being targeted because they disagree with what their leader is doing. i asked for intervention on behalf of the innocent ones. 

i believe God himself hears our prayers and will intervene in our behalf, regardless of if we are Catholic, born again Christian or Jewish or whatever. He hears our cry. God loves and chooses each of us and wants to respond to us. God doesn't create the chaos, but sometimes He has to allow it to unfold to achieve the final victory. and that is wiping satan and his helpers from the face of the world. so yes, praying itself is helpful. just posting praying hands and doing nothing else is really just for show. 

IMHO

What “final victory” are you referring to? 

• Love 1

On a less cosmic topic, I know there's a whole forum for dissing TV ads. But. This is small talk and I'm putting it out here.

You know those commercials for a kitty litter that feature Martha Stewart? She's standing behind a counter, stroking a lovely long-haired cat and talking about the litter.

BUT, the cat is lying in a FREAKING SERVING DISH of some kind. Seriously, if you mute the thing you might wonder if Martha's going to be cooking and serving up the kittycat. Most bizarre commercial optics I have seen in a long time. Maybe it's not really a serving dish that the cat is in, but it looks like that to me. And she's standing in the kitchen. SMH.

ETA, here's a screenshot:

1693312795_ScreenShot2022-02-25at10_54_32AM.png.f1ef1efda456c695abef19c9e5562e89.png

Edited by Jeeves
  • LOL 18
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

We got the snow, sleet and freezing rain. It was really bad here this morning. Now most roads have been treated, it’s a balmy 36°, and it sounds like it’s pouring outside, but it’s just everything melting. 😁

We got it all too, but no melting here at 26 degrees and we may have another round later today. 😟

Edited by GeeGolly
16 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

On a less cosmic topic, I know there's a whole forum for dissing TV ads. But. This is small talk and I'm putting it out here.

You know those commercials for a kitty litter that feature Martha Stewart? She's standing behind a counter, stroking a lovely long-haired cat and talking about the litter.

BUT, the cat is lying in a FREAKING SERVING DISH of some kind. Seriously, if you mute the thing you might wonder if Martha's going to be cooking and serving up the kittycat. Most bizarre commercial optics I have seen in a long time. Maybe it's not really a serving dish that the cat is in, but it looks like that to me. And she's standing in the kitchen. SMH.

1693312795_ScreenShot2022-02-25at10_54_32AM.png.f1ef1efda456c695abef19c9e5562e89.png

New catserole recipe? 

haha

• LOL 11
31 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

It looks to me like a planter not a serving dish.  I lost a mixing bowl to the cats.  They chose it as perfect for napping. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 4

I have a wide, shallow wooden bowl - the kind you might put fruit in - and I’ve been trying to get my cats to sit in it so I can take adorable pictures of them. But, since they are cats, they refuse to do it. Furry little jerks, I will never make money off their Instagram if they don’t start looking cute for the camera.

It snowed here this morning, enough to make me break out the snowblower. Now it’s sleeting, so I’m glad we cleaned up early. Today I was the first person on the block to start my snowblower, but within 15 minutes everyone else was out with theirs too. We take our snow blowing to a competitive level in this neighborhood.

@Ohiopirate02, that’s what it’s called! I have seen them but couldn’t remember the name, so thank you!

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • LOL 6
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

I have a wide, shallow wooden bowl - the kind you might put fruit in - and I’ve been trying to get my cats to sit in it so I can take adorable pictures of them. But, since they are cats, they refuse to do it. Furry little jerks, I will never make money off their Instagram if they don’t start looking cute for the camera.

It snowed here this morning, enough to make me break out the snowblower. Now it’s sleeting, so I’m glad we cleaned up early. Today I was the first person on the block to start my snowblower, but within 15 minutes everyone else was out with theirs too. We take our snow blowing to a competitive level in this neighborhood.

@Ohiopirate02, that’s what it’s called! I have seen them but couldn’t remember the name, so thank you!

I had to look the spelling up.  I've only ever heard it spoken before.  

• Love 3

My cat Veruca (RIP) used to climb into anything and everything. I have pics somewhere of her sitting in a colander on the counter. She was such a cutie!

Current kitty Midnight (17 years old!) loves to sit atop my knitting basket, which thankfully has a cover, so he doesn't mess with my project. It gives him a good view of passing dogs (and wildlife) on the path behind our place. 

• Love 10

I have an apron with a picture of my cat Emma in a (empty) Pyrex baking dish. It’s my fault that I put on the table and then turned my back. The caption on the apron is “what’s for dinner?” Emma never met human food that she wouldn’t eat. She lived to be 22 and I miss her every day. 

• Love 15
1 hour ago, Jeeves said:

The cat is in a grinding bowl--part of a mortar and pestle to grind spices, corn, and other foods.  This commercial has always looked strange to me, too, especially because the cat is in a different position in the last part of the commercial.  My thoughts are that the cat did not want to be in the filming, and that was the only way to contain and restrain it.  A real cook would never allow their pets to sit in a utensil used for cooking. A real pet owner who loved their pet would not force it to be filmed by restraining and containing it.  In my humble opinion.

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

The cat is in a grinding bowl--part of a mortar and pestle to grind spices, corn, and other foods.  This commercial has always looked strange to me, too, especially because the cat is in a different position in the last part of the commercial.  My thoughts are that the cat did not want to be in the filming, and that was the only way to contain and restrain it.  A real cook would never allow their pets to sit in a utensil used for cooking. A real pet owner who loved their pet would not force it to be filmed by restraining and containing it.  In my humble opinion.

Yes. And, what's with making a commercial for kitty litter in a kitchen setting anyway? Eww.

• Love 9
24 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Yes. And, what's with making a commercial for kitty litter in a kitchen setting anyway? Eww.

And why is she selling kitty litter, anyway.  I don't see how that goes along with selling cookware, food, fashion, interior decorations, and all the other stuff she sells.

• Love 1

Does anyone know of a reputable charity to donate to for Ukraine?  I have never heard of some of the charities listed when I did a search.  The site that rates charities rated CARE very highly, and you can donate through PayPal.  I have not had any experience with them.  Any suggestions?

(FYI:  I have not seen Medicorps on any lists.  I wonder if they will be "on the scene".)

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

I don't know why, but snowy days make me hungry. Doesn't matter if I'm working, hanging in the house or playing in or cleaning up snow - I just feel nibblish all day long.

Is it just me?

Ummm….not just you. Excuse me while I hide all the chocolate wrappers I’ve accumulated today.

• LOL 10

5 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

It's a molcajete.  They are made from a porous stone and used to make guacamole.   I know a cat's motto is 'I, fit, I sit," but those cannot be properly sanitized.  

Note to self, never eat guacamole at Martha's house.  

Exactly.

3 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

Does anyone know of a reputable charity to donate to for Ukraine? 

World Central Kitchen (Jose Andres' organization) just mobilized in Poland to provide food relief for Ukraine. I also second the recommendation for Doctors Without Borders.

And I offer you Pixie's interpretation of "not on the counter."

IMG_20160320_125327.thumb.jpg.12acdcd37f6fa807b5f0bf1fb357fb53.jpg

• LOL 12
  • Love 11

Taking this over here, since the Girl Defined idiots aren't really Duggar related I believe. As a poster said, one of them is stuck in Ukraine and still refuses to leave by the looks of it. 3 weeks away from giving birth. It's been on my mind since yesterday, it kind of makes the whole horrible thing kind of tangible.

I'm shoving chocolate into my gob like there's no tomorrow but needs must. It's my way of coping with stress unfortunately. What times we do live in, eh?

Hoping that this crazy war will only be a few days thing:-(

• Love 11
7 hours ago, MunichNark said:

Taking this over here, since the Girl Defined idiots aren't really Duggar related I believe. As a poster said, one of them is stuck in Ukraine and still refuses to leave by the looks of it. 3 weeks away from giving birth. It's been on my mind since yesterday, it kind of makes the whole horrible thing kind of tangible.

I'm shoving chocolate into my gob like there's no tomorrow but needs must. It's my way of coping with stress unfortunately. What times we do live in, eh?

Hoping that this crazy war will only be a few days thing:-(

who are these people? i dont understand  - what is girl defined?

• Love 2

I am very proud of my mom.  She wasn't feeling very good so she called her doctor and told her to meet at the ER. found out that she has a bad blood infection so she is on heavy duty antibiotics.  This is the first time that I didn't have to force her to go to the hospital. 

• Love 13
6 minutes ago, Rabbittron said:

I am very proud of my mom.  She wasn't feeling very good so she called her doctor and told her to meet at the ER. found out that she has a bad blood infection so she is on heavy duty antibiotics.  This is the first time that I didn't have to force her to go to the hospital. 

Is she home, or was she admitted?

3 hours ago, zoomama said:

Girl Defined was these idiotic sisters who ministered their perfect Christian young womanhood to girls. One of the sisters married a Ukrainian guy maybe a year ago and moved to Ukraine despite not knowing the language or culture. I didn't know she was pregnant. Yikes. 

@Rabbittron, glad Mommy Rabbittron got to the hospital without any prodding. Hope she feels better soon. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
41 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Girl Defined was these idiotic sisters who ministered their perfect Christian young womanhood to girls. One of the sisters married a Ukrainian guy maybe a year ago and moved to Ukraine despite not knowing the language or culture. I didn't know she was pregnant. Yikes. 

@Rabbittron, glad Mommy Rabbittron got to the hospital without any prodding. Hope she feels better soon. 

Also, she and hubby were here in the states maybe a 1-2 months ago, and the general thought was that she would stay stateside, both because of the upcoming birth and the buildup of Russian troops that had already started.  But nope, she went back and as recently as a week ago said that God would take care of them (or something to that effect).  So, there you go.

• Useful 1
5 minutes ago, CouchTater said:

Also, she and hubby were here in the states maybe a 1-2 months ago, and the general thought was that she would stay stateside, both because of the upcoming birth and the buildup of Russian troops that had already started.  But nope, she went back and as recently as a week ago said that God would take care of them (or something to that effect).  So, there you go.

She's even more stupid than her Girl Defined persona. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, CouchTater said:

They were also openly posting and asking how to bribe border patrol today, so he can subvert Ukraine's mandate that men not leave. Regardless of one's thoughts on that decision, openly posting and asking about it just seems really foolish. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, zoomama said:

If you fancy a rabbit hole, you're in for a treat.

They are a family of total nitwits, completely incapable of being mature and adult sisters (and brothers) who have this "Ministry".

One of them keeps posting "spicy sexy" reels to pretend her husband (who is much younger AND shorter than her, the horror!) really loves her. (Bethany Beal). She's.........something.

One of them married a Ukrainian after meeting him about 2 or 3 times in total. They are now in a wild rabbit chase, trying to get across the border. It's a shitfest

• Useful 1
8 hours ago, MunichNark said:

If you fancy a rabbit hole, you're in for a treat.

They are a family of total nitwits, completely incapable of being mature and adult sisters (and brothers) who have this "Ministry".

One of them keeps posting "spicy sexy" reels to pretend her husband (who is much younger AND shorter than her, the horror!) really loves her. (Bethany Beal). She's.........something.

One of them married a Ukrainian after meeting him about 2 or 3 times in total. They are now in a wild rabbit chase, trying to get across the border. It's a shitfest

Are they as bad as the Rodrigues family?

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

I’m shocked that none of these fundie families go to Eastern Europe/Russia to convert people. Obviously not now but even last year. 

We know that Jill has stated Phillip wants to be a missionary to Hungary. Let's see if he ever gets out of the country. 

• Love 2