Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

Just now, doodlebug said:

JJ Watt is quite a guy.  He started this on Monday and has already raised over $3.5 million.

Yes, he is.  I've never met him, but by all accounts, he's genuinely a nice guy. It doesn't hurt that he's also very easy on the eyes.  I once met a lady who named her English bulldog after him.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Money is always welcome as it allows those providing aid to put it where it is most needed and avoid the huge expense of storing and transporting goods.  I am personally fond of the Salvation Army in these situations.  I once practiced at a SA hospital and a more dedicated group of people who live their faith in a very concrete way you will never find. I loved 'em. They've also got an excellent track record as far as minimizing their expenses/overhead and maximizing the services they provide.

http://www.salvationarmyusa.org/

We also donated to Salvation Army special fund for Harvey victims for all the reasons you stated, @doodlebug. It feels like such a small thing compared to the overwhelming need, but at least it is something.

@Crazycatlady, most of the local news channels in the Los Angeles area have spent quite a lot of time on Houston with updates, human interest stories, and telling viewers how they can help. 

Hoping things improve soon for the Texas area residents and that Louisiana folks are spared most of the new storm.

• Love 4

I actually had a friend whose religion was Salvation Army.  They called themselves "salvationists" and they went to church in a "citadel".  This was in the 80's and she wore a navy blue uniform to church.   The one and only person that I ever knew or heard of that actually was part of the religion. 

Agree, the Salvation Army has a good reputation!  

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Marigold said:

I actually had a friend whose religion was Salvation Army.  They called themselves "salvationists" and they went to church in a "citadel".  This was in the 80's and she wore a navy blue uniform to church.   The one and only person that I ever knew or heard of that actually was part of the religion. 

Unless you're LGBT 

• Love 2
Just now, latetotheparty said:

Unless you're LGBT 

I meant for disaster relief.  They don't discriminate with disaster relief, do they???? Oh, that would not be good.  :(

As for the religion, I have no idea. Never hear a thing about them. Are they anti-LGBT? 

Salvation Army info

Ok, down the rabbit hole I go...

Seems their religion does not support LGBT but they provide relief to everyone no matter who they are. 

I can live with that for the purposes of disaster relief... Right now people need immediate help and it seems the Salvation Army gets the job done better than most. 

And you learn something new every day! 

• Love 4

Here's an article I saw with some not always thought of charities that could help with flooding victims. I was especially struck by Portlight, an organization that focuses on helping out people with disabilities, which is also a particularly vulnerable group that needs additional assistance during disasters. And the Diaper Bank one. Organizations that I wouldn't sprung to mind but most definitely would they need assistance.

• Love 3

I would support the Salvation Army over the Red Cross any day. There was an article in our local paper that the Red Cross was sending 10 volunteers to Houston. 10? 10? Are they kidding? Some good news though, the celebrities are stepping up. Sandra Bullock donated  one million, and others on a smaller scale. Our area accepted 78 "Harvey" dogs who are being sent to foster homes. They all came with complete records so that eventually they can return home.

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, bythelake said:

I would support the Salvation Army over the Red Cross any day. There was an article in our local paper that the Red Cross was sending 10 volunteers to Houston. 10? 10? Are they kidding? Some good news though, the celebrities are stepping up. Sandra Bullock donated  one million, and others on a smaller scale. Our area accepted 78 "Harvey" dogs who are being sent to foster homes. They all came with complete records so that eventually they can return home.

Hells bells, for all their vapidity, the Kardashians gave $500 grand.  Wonder what the Duggars will give. Oh... no, I don't.

The Red Cross has a rather checkered  history with these things dating back to the Katrina scandals.  

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 8
11 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Hells bells, for all their vapidity, the Kardashians gave $500 grand.  Wonder what the Duggars will give. Oh... no, I don't.

The Red Cross has a rather checkered  history with these things dating back to the Katrina scandals.  

Lots of celebrities hail from Texas, McConaughey is proud of his roots. Let's see how many step up.

My family members who were in the military were never impressed by the Red Cross as well.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, bythelake said:

Lots of celebrities hail from Texas, McConaughey is proud of his roots. Let's see how many step up.

My family members who were in the military were never impressed by the Red Cross as well.

A friend who was in Vietnam told me the Red Cross charged them for coffee and donuts while the Salvation Army gave it away. He, too, felt the Red Cross was overrated.

• Love 5

My experience with charities during a devastating weather event is that the local charities step up and the national ones, not so much. However the Red Cross did come by once a day, for a week, to offer two slices of bologna between two slices of bread and a bottle of water. Which is rather comical because nearby stores not hit by the tornado were open. I know I sound unappreciative, but we didn't have a house to live in, we were going through debris and throwing away decades worth of belongings and memories. Local charities sent out volunteers to help with the clean up, offered gift cards to purchase clothing and toiletries, the city offered free replacements of birth certificates and SS cards, a local pharmacy offered free replacements of prescription medications, etc. So many little things that no one thinks of are needed in the weeks and months after finding shelter, I wish there was a way to get the help and money directly to the people.

Anyway most monies donated to national charities will be for the next event, not the current one.

My thoughts of peace, warmth and healing go out to the folks effected by Harvey.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

A friend who was in Vietnam told me the Red Cross charged them for coffee and donuts while the Salvation Army gave it away. He, too, felt the Red Cross was overrated.

Wow!

My father was a WWII vet and he said the EXACT same thing.  10 cents for donuts and coffee. He hated the Red Cross. 

• Love 4

Does anyone know how health concerns are handled  in a hurricane/national disaster?  It got me & my grown son thinking since I came home from hospital with home oxygen. I have emergency cylinders & would probably be ok without it but what about dialysis patients, conditions that depend on medication, etc?  It was very scary to read  one of the posts about their major trauma center closing.  I live near Baltimore with John's Hopkins & University of Maryland Medical System which includes a national renowned shock trauma center close by. I can't imagine them being shut down even for an hour.

I don't mean to downplay the severity of it all, but when do the ALERT guys get sent in?  Or are they for fake emergencies?  Can you imagine the National Guard seeing ALERT rolling in & wondering who they are& why are they there?

Stay safe anyone.  It's amazing what water can do.

• Love 5
39 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

I just donated $$ to the Houston Food Bank - www.houstonfoodbank.org - and it was very easy.

This is a stupid question from someone who has never been to Texas and is trying to figure out the flood based on a map.

The Houston Food bank is not flooded?  I like the idea of a local charity so that's why I asked.  ;)

1 hour ago, Marigold said:

This is a stupid question from someone who has never been to Texas and is trying to figure out the flood based on a map.

The Houston Food bank is not flooded?  I like the idea of a local charity so that's why I asked.  ;)

I don't know if they are or aren't, but they are set up to receive monetary donations and distribute.  When Baton Rouge had the Great Flood of 2016 the Baton Rouge Food Bank flooded and lost a lot of food.  Even though I moved away from there I kept donating because I knew they knew what they were doing and recovered enough to get food to people who needed it.  

I know people mean well with wanting to donate things, but at this point from what I've read and personal experience is that reputable organizations need money more than anything to get what the folks need to them, vs. what donators with all good intentions think is a good idea at the time.

• Love 6

Team Rubicon is a good one to donate to, as well. They helped out in Louisiana during the 2016 flood and are already mobilized in Houston. I've donated to them as well as the Salvation Army. The Texas Diaper Bank is another good one.

If you want to help animals, Austin Pets Alive has been on the ground helping and the Houston SPCA could use donations.

Komen and Red Cross are two that I will not donate to anymore.

• Love 6

It looks like my county's search and rescue team and some sheriff deputies could be heading out to Texas to help out. Here we are in Montana with terrible and nasty wildfires and drought, and we have volunteer and paid emergency personnel ready and willing to help others across the country. Makes me proud.

8 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

My experience with charities during a devastating weather event is that the local charities step up and the national ones, not so much. However the Red Cross did come by once a day, for a week, to offer two slices of bologna between two slices of bread and a bottle of water. Which is rather comical because nearby stores not hit by the tornado were open. I know I sound unappreciative, but we didn't have a house to live in, we were going through debris and throwing away decades worth of belongings and memories. Local charities sent out volunteers to help with the clean up, offered gift cards to purchase clothing and toiletries, the city offered free replacements of birth certificates and SS cards, a local pharmacy offered free replacements of prescription medications, etc. So many little things that no one thinks of are needed in the weeks and months after finding shelter, I wish there was a way to get the help and money directly to the people.

Anyway most monies donated to national charities will be for the next event, not the current one.

My thoughts of peace, warmth and healing go out to the folks effected by Harvey.

My policy in life is that I only donate to local charities, be it human or animal. I took a college course in non-profit accounting and my mind was boggled at how little the big-name charities actually give to help people. Most of the money goes towards fundraising and overhead. I think Salvation Army was one of the few respectable ones, but others were a complete joke. 

• Love 8
51 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

My policy in life is that I only donate to local charities, be it human or animal. I took a college course in non-profit accounting and my mind was boggled at how little the big-name charities actually give to help people. Most of the money goes towards fundraising and overhead. I think Salvation Army was one of the few respectable ones, but others were a complete joke. 

The Salvos are anti gay rights, and give money to anti-LGBTQI groups, so I can't support them. Charity Watch rates charities and can help find a good one.  https://www.charitywatch.org/home

• Love 6

One of my friends just had a baby (she reminds a little of  Jill DD), but her mother posted about it like Michelle. It's grandchild #, (not which number for the parents), but which # for all her grandkids. Then she said a few things about how the baby and birth. And she ended with another  amazing blessing!!! Sigh. 

• Love 2

Someone told me Amazon has a place where you can purchase items for the Harvey folks and the purchases will go directly to them - like a bridal registry of sorts. I haven't checked it out, nor do I know if its legit though.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

Someone told me Amazon has a place where you can purchase items for the Harvey folks and the purchases will go directly to them - like a bridal registry of sorts. I haven't checked it out, nor do I know if its legit though.

On their home page, Amazon has a link to the Red Cross and they've matched the first million in donations made.  There is also reference to donating via Wish List, but no info on how to do it.

ETA: Found the link.  The list allows you to donate basics like toothbrushes, shampoo, and diapers; but also goes all the way up to the big ticket items.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/ls/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_dEQPzb8GPX7S0?ie=UTF8&lid=1NN6LRHJZ0CC5&ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_dEQPzb8GPX7S0&ty=wishlist

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 4

Survive the first part of the periodontal disease cleaning on the left side of my mouth. The TMJ is acting up a little, and my mouth is a little sore because the numbness is starting wear off. The first numbing needle was not pleasant, and I am glad the hygienist did not need to go in with a numbing shot in the roof of my mouth because she said it would hurt big time. The hygienist is my new dentist's sister, and he is married to my eye doctor. I guess I am keeping it in the family. *lol*

34 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

Survive the first part of the periodontal disease cleaning on the left side of my mouth. The TMJ is acting up a little, and my mouth is a little sore because the numbness is starting wear off. The first numbing needle was not pleasant, and I am glad the hygienist did not need to go in with a numbing shot in the roof of my mouth because she said it would hurt big time. The hygienist is my new dentist's sister, and he is married to my eye doctor. I guess I am keeping it in the family. *lol*

I had the cleaning done 4 months ago. the whole mouth. They did it in stages, but each was over 1 1/2 hrs in the chair. Ugh. It wasn't a pleasant experience. Apparently, my problem stems from not flossing regularly so I'll have to be more diligent. At my age, I'm just happy I still have teeth.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, bigskygirl said:

My sister had it done years ago and had to carry scissors with her to cut the stitches out when they became loose. The mouth does healing amazingly fast though. Hang in there.

• Love 1
On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 9:31 PM, Marigold said:

I've used them for years because of their good reputation and tell people not to use Goodwill (research it). When I did a garage sale this spring my friend who was helping me asked that I not use them because they are not gay friendly. So I used Rescue Mission that also pick up and use their resources locally.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Almost 3000 said:

I've used them for years because of their good reputation and tell people not to use Goodwill (research it). When I did a garage sale this spring my friend who was helping me asked that I not use them because they are not gay friendly. So I used Rescue Mission that also pick up and use their resources locally.

All this info about the Army and their treatment of LGBTQ is interesting to me.  The first person I ever knew who died of AIDS was an officer in the SA.  He was a hospital administrator and wonderful person who had a secret life (30+ years ago, this was not unusual).  His wife, also an SA officer (actually ranked higher than him because she was born into it and he wasn't) and their teenage son cared for him with love and affection at home, never denied what he had (though certainly never discussed how he acquired it) and their fellow SA members were also extremely supportive and caring.  He had an SA funeral with full honors from the Salvation Army.  I suppose, like many religions, what the church says and what real people do can vary widely.  Being a Catholic, I get it.

Edited by doodlebug
very and vary are not the same word
  • Love 21
1 minute ago, doodlebug said:

All this info about the Army and their treatment of LGBTQ is interesting to me.  The first person I ever knew who died of AIDS was an officer in the SA.  He was a hospital administrator and wonderful person who had a secret life (30+ years ago, this was not unusual).  His wife, also an SA officer (actually ranked higher than him because she was born into it and he wasn't) and their teenage son cared for him with love and affection at home, never denied what he had (though certainly never discussed how he acquired it) and their fellow SA members were also extremely supportive and caring.  He had an SA funeral with full honors from the Salvation Army.  I suppose, like many religions, what the church says and what real people do can very widely.  Being a Catholic, I get it.

That's the sense I had but I also honored my friend's request. Giving shouldn't be complicated but it often is so the more information you can get the better and then give with an open heart. Because I was referring to donations of my unwanted but good stuff and not cash, I'm mercenary only use charities that pickup...

Giving a monetary donation in emergencies can be a whole other area of complications. Thanks to those that mentioned Amazon. I have some gift card $ I can use to send a few items!

• Love 1
On 8/30/2017 at 8:55 AM, doodlebug said:

My great-uncle was in the army during WWII, and he told much the same story, except with a kicker--when he and some fellow soldiers bought cigarettes from the Red Cross, tucked inside the packages were notes that said "Donated by__."  So the Red Cross SOLD stuff to the soldiers that was specifically DONATED to them.  Needless to say, our family does not support the Red Cross.

On another note, my great-grandfather's niece (whom I called "Aunt") was a major in the Salvation Army.  She was retired from it when I knew her, and later converted to Jehovah's Witness.  She was a strident old lady, rather like Momma from "Throw Momma from the Train," but she did a lot of good--she was a foster mother for many children with mental and physical disabilities over the span of 30 years.  I don't know what he views on LGBTQ were, but I remember being quite thoroughly scolded when I was 8 or 9 for telling her I'd pricked my finger on a rosebush.  She went bat-poop crazy because I'd used the word "prick."  Good times.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, magpye29 said:

My great-uncle was in the army during WWII, and he told much the same story, except with a kicker--when he and some fellow soldiers bought cigarettes from the Red Cross, tucked inside the packages were notes that said "Donated by__."  So the Red Cross SOLD stuff to the soldiers that was specifically DONATED to them.  Needless to say, our family does not support the Red Cross.

My grandfather served in WWII and I was brought up with the same bias. The truth, though, is that the Army required the Red Cross charge US soldiers overseas because British soldiers had to pay and it was causing conflict. 70 years of regret

The Red Cross is usually one of the first service organizations to set up during emergencies and there is never any charge for these services. I donate through Amazon Smile to them because I think their disaster relief efforts make them a worthy charity.

• Love 7

@Nysha I knew I had reservations about donating to the Red Cross so I checked and found that after 1/2 billion dollars had been donated for Haiti in 2010 after an earthquake only 6 permanent homes had been built and  as late as 2016 the people were living in rusty shacks with no access to safe, drinkable water, electricity or even sanitation.  When it rains and their homes flood they have to dig out the mud and water.  The Red Cross has never answered what happened to all the money.  When the  World Trade Center was destroyed in 2001 the Red Cross raised over 1 billion in donations.  The victims of this disaster never saw the money.  

• Love 7

@wilsie Thanks for the update. It's frustrating that the Red Cross has such a bad reputation because of their poor management. I volunteered at the local office for several years and was impressed with how fast our local people responded to hometown disasters and how many people in my tiny corner of Idaho were willing to drop everything and fly across the country to help people in need. 

Here is a twitter feed from a Houston local providing contacts for Houston area groups that are helping: Jia Tolentino

• Love 2

The Red Cross was sued here after a major wild fire.  People contributed a large amount of money thinking it would go to the families affected by the fire based on the TV ads that ran only to find that no cash assistance was given to them.  The Red Cross initial statement was the money was being saved for future disasters.  I don't think I ever found out the final solution, but how the local chapter operates was required to change.  I still won't give to them.  Mr. Absolom's uncle was a local director in a smallish city and he received a huge salary for what he did.  

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 7

The Red Cross has, on many, many occasions, claimed that, although they ostensibly were raising funds for a specific disaster; the money collected went to 'future needs' and there was no guarantee that money donated in good faith after a request for help for a specific tragedy actually went to that particular disaster.

Years ago, I had a friend who was on the board of the local Red Cross, had done a huge amount of volunteering and even went to help at multiple disaster sites.  She ended up resigning in disgust while Elizabeth Dole was director because she said that Ms. Dole was quite interested in advancing her own reputation and career; but not so interested in transparency or honesty and that a lot of the shenanigans, as well as massive increases in salaries and perks for the folks at the very top originated during this time.  

The Red Cross does handle most blood donations here in the US, though, and I definitely recommend making blood donations via them.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, MunichNark said:

Can't believe my two months stint in Ireland is over already. Been home since Thursday and am having quite a few adjustment problems.

16 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

How was Ireland? 

8 hours ago, MunichNark said:

Can't believe my two months stint in Ireland is over already. Been home since Thursday and am having quite a few adjustment problems. Want to go back NOW.....

I'm so jealous. Ireland is on my bucket list. My ancestors left during the "troubles", Lots of gaps in the family history, because my grandmother's family name is spelled so many different ways. I can't find anyone with her name left in Ireland, although I did find a couple in Australia when it was a penal colony. lol.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, bythelake said:

I'm so jealous. Ireland is on my bucket list. My ancestors left during the "troubles", Lots of gaps in the family history, because my grandmother's family name is spelled so many different ways. I can't find anyone with her name left in Ireland, although I did find a couple in Australia when it was a penal colony. lol.

All my first cousins are half Irish, and I envy them that heritage. My parents and their siblings all ended up settling in England (from Poland) after WWII, where they all found Irish spouses. Except for my parents who married each other. Being 100% Polish is not quite as interesting

• Love 2