Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

Hey guys - hugs and hope to all, but I'm out of here. I've lost my taste for the snark. It's been really, really fun. Y'all are good, good people.

I wish you all the very best, I really do. I'll be observing now and again, but I think it's time to get my butt off the couch and start living my life instead of just commenting about it. You've been good friends - real friends, and I will miss you. Truly. 

Please take care. 

Will miss you Somepity1066.  enjoy yourself and do check in sometimes if that works for you.

• Love 2

I have a mystery.Someone at work bought a fundraising item I was selling for the feral cat group I am a member of.She told me she would leave the money in an envelope on a table in my work area for me.She was on a night shift and I was coming in for a day shift.I got busy right away then remembered it when I saw my initial on it sticking out from under our binders.I grabbed it on the run folded it up stuck it in my pocket and kept going not looking at it.Later I stuck it in my lunch bag and when I got home stuck it in my drawer I have a habit of sticking things I don't want to lose in.Then promptly forgot about it.Last evening I thought about it and thought I should go put that money in my change purse before I lose it.I searched the drawer and could not find it.I sometimes put things on a stack of dishes I never use so I looked there.Sure enough there was an envelope that had been folded and had my first and last name on it.I opened it up and found a $100 bill with a little slip of paper in there too, with you are amazing hand printed on it.I stared at it I am sure with my mouth hanging open.I knew this person was on a 12 hour night so I called work and asked her why she left me so much money and she said well you told me it was $15.i asked her if she had left anyone else money at the same time and if she did is it possible she mixed up the amounts.She sounded confused and said what are you talking about.I gave her the story and I said I don't know where this came from if she didn't make a mistake.She said I left you an envelope with to(my name) from(her name).That was not what was on this one.Just my name was on the front.I finished up our conversation saying I must go find hers.I went back to the drawer I thought I had remembered putting it in and opened it up and there was a folded envelope right on top plain as day in the same drawer I had just rifled through.I unfolded it and the wording was just as she said.Inside was the $15.Now where did that other one come from.I do not remember putting an unopened envelope in there.Yes it is a place I sometimes put things but the drawer is my usual place.The stack of dishes it was on is at eye level in a cupboard I use daily.Why had I not seen an envelope with one end sticking straight up sitting there when I put my lunch bag away on the shelf above it for the last several days?I am basically anti social and don't have people in.If I want to see people I will meet them outside of my home.The last time I had someone in was a plumber about 6 months ago.My doors are locked at all times because people here find it acceptable to walk right in and I will not risk my cats being let out.Where would I have picked up an envelope with just my name printed on it folded it and put it away without remembering I had it?Who would give you that amount of money without making sure it would get into your hand?I live in the boonies where snow plows kill mail boxes so I have a post office box.This did not go through the mail.I am just not wired to accept things without saying thank you.This is much too much to give.I think I am still in shock.I just cannot fathom an answer to this mystery.

• Love 7

looks like you got a pleasant blessing from someone that does not want to be discovered. let them be anonymous and just enjoy. thank everyone you see for just being good people....that way you are both happy.

• Love 4

I have a mystery. Snip...........This did not go through the mail.I am just not wired to accept things without saying thank you.This is much too much to give.I think I am still in shock.I just cannot fathom an answer to this mystery.

What a wonderful mystery. I suggest paying it forward in any way that will make you happy.

• Love 3

Chunky junky, I humbly admit...it was me. Go get yourself a mani-pedi, eat something really good and think how lucky you are to have a friend like me.

Or not.

Or I could have said I HAVE SEARCHED FOR THAT EVERYWHERE!!! How did it end up at your house???

Or not.

On an unrelated subject: you know there's that moment in December when you're looking around at all the gooey chocolatey deliciousness surrounding you, and you're thinking, "I have to get RID of this stuff!!!"

Then there's that other moment in January where you are searching like the FBI through the cupboards and under couch cushions looking for a stray (hidden or lost) m&m....

• Love 11

Oh Happy, you made me chuckle out loud again &you are so right. What I wouldn't give for the 2 pieces of homemade cheese Danish I tossed a few days after Xmas cuz I was tired of looking at them.

Chunky junky -that is sure a mystery & I agree with the others to enjoy it any way you see fit.

I'm off to work on a jigsaw puzzle I got for Xmas. I love puzzles & have since I was little. (My mother says I have the patience of Job for puzzles & other things in my life.) Are there any other puzzle junkies out there?

• Love 3

Hey guys - hugs and hope to all, but I'm out of here. I've lost my taste for the snark. It's been really, really fun. Y'all are good, good people.

I wish you all the very best, I really do. I'll be observing now and again, but I think it's time to get my butt off the couch and start living my life instead of just commenting about it. You've been good friends - real friends, and I will miss you. Truly. 

Please take care. 

Right backatcha, Some... It's been a genuine pleasure. 

• Love 1

I am just going to take the advice given.Maybe make a donation to my cat charity through the donation ceramic cat in my vets office.I do believe donations should be made without expecting praise so a nameless one suits me fine.I am still puzzled but I am going to respect that it may have been from someone with the same thought.The rest of the money will go towards the winter tires I had to get but could not afford.HFC you made me chuckle with your comment.

• Love 2

I have a mystery.Someone at work bought a fundraising item I was selling for the feral cat group I am a member of.She told me she would leave the money in an envelope on a table in my work area for me.She was on a night shift and I was coming in for a day shift.I got busy right away then remembered it when I saw my initial on it sticking out from under our binders.I grabbed it on the run folded it up stuck it in my pocket and kept going not looking at it.Later I stuck it in my lunch bag and when I got home stuck it in my drawer I have a habit of sticking things I don't want to lose in.Then promptly forgot about it.Last evening I thought about it and thought I should go put that money in my change purse before I lose it.I searched the drawer and could not find it.I sometimes put things on a stack of dishes I never use so I looked there.Sure enough there was an envelope that had been folded and had my first and last name on it.I opened it up and found a $100 bill with a little slip of paper in there too, with you are amazing hand printed on it.I stared at it I am sure with my mouth hanging open.I knew this person was on a 12 hour night so I called work and asked her why she left me so much money and she said well you told me it was $15.i asked her if she had left anyone else money at the same time and if she did is it possible she mixed up the amounts.She sounded confused and said what are you talking about.I gave her the story and I said I don't know where this came from if she didn't make a mistake.She said I left you an envelope with to(my name) from(her name).That was not what was on this one.Just my name was on the front.I finished up our conversation saying I must go find hers.I went back to the drawer I thought I had remembered putting it in and opened it up and there was a folded envelope right on top plain as day in the same drawer I had just rifled through.I unfolded it and the wording was just as she said.Inside was the $15.Now where did that other one come from.I do not remember putting an unopened envelope in there.Yes it is a place I sometimes put things but the drawer is my usual place.The stack of dishes it was on is at eye level in a cupboard I use daily.Why had I not seen an envelope with one end sticking straight up sitting there when I put my lunch bag away on the shelf above it for the last several days?I am basically anti social and don't have people in.If I want to see people I will meet them outside of my home.The last time I had someone in was a plumber about 6 months ago.My doors are locked at all times because people here find it acceptable to walk right in and I will not risk my cats being let out.Where would I have picked up an envelope with just my name printed on it folded it and put it away without remembering I had it?Who would give you that amount of money without making sure it would get into your hand?I live in the boonies where snow plows kill mail boxes so I have a post office box.This did not go through the mail.I am just not wired to accept things without saying thank you.This is much too much to give.I think I am still in shock.I just cannot fathom an answer to this mystery.

There is an answer, but you're right. You just can't fathom what it is right now. If you ever DO find out, you might be shaking your head - or you might be amazed that it ever was a mystery to you. But one thing seems certain. You have a fairy godperson or a Christmas angel or something out there. Somewhere. Just be sure you have fun - or do something wonderful - with that money. 

• Love 4

Regarding the recent musician's deaths-- Mr Barb told me of another passing but I have never heard of the guy, the group or their songs. Maybe someone else has: the drummer Dale Griffin of the group Mott the Hoople died. One of their hits, All the Young Dudes, was ironically written & produced by David Bowie in 1972.

• Love 2

Regarding the recent musician's deaths-- Mr Barb told me of another passing but I have never heard of the guy, the group or their songs. Maybe someone else has: the drummer Dale Griffin of the group Mott the Hoople died. One of their hits, All the Young Dudes, was ironically written & produced by David Bowie in 1972.

Man.. I didn't recognize his name, but I know the band name and that song. So sad. I think I mostly remember the band name because I always thought it was really funny. I was very young when they were around - actually apparently I wasn't even born yet when this song came out, but I do remember it.  For some silly reason as a kid I used to think the song was "All the Racoons." 

• Love 3

^^^^ All the Racoons reminds me of how my little sister would walk around singing "Bringing in the Cheese" when we got home from church after singing "Bringing in the Sheaves".

And the time Steven Curtis Chapman had a song with much airtime called "God is God". My youngest was riding in the car one day with me, singing along. He was probably around 4. Suddenly he stops singing and says in all seriousness, "mommy, who is Bob?" I have no idea. Huh? He says "you know, like in the song just now, he says 'God is Bob".

And the last: my two oldest kids are bap and zap, born almost exactly 2 years apart. In those days (Oy, that causes me so much pain to say that), we had cassettes and actual vinyl records (!!!) that they would listen to alllllll day. There was one record of a grandmother telling a goodwill story to her granddaughter. Now, my kids LOVED this story. Loved, loved, LOVED. We listened to this waaaaay too much, and they'd memorized every single word, every pause, every chuckle. We had that sucker down perfect. One day, they are playing upstairs in a loft space and, of course, grandma was telling her story for probably the 10th time that day. In the telling, she mentions that her father was helping her to remember something. "You know what he did??? He made up a song!!!" Right then, at that moment, my son comes to the rail of the loft and calls down to me, "Mommy!!! What's a Besong?"

• Love 3

Some Pity, I will miss you! I hope you'll enjoy t all.

• Love 1

On an unrelated subject: you know there's that moment in December when you're looking around at all the gooey chocolatey deliciousness surrounding you, and you're thinking, "I have to get RID of this stuff!!!"

Then there's that other moment in January where you are searching like the FBI through the cupboards and under couch cushions looking for a stray (hidden or lost) m&m....

Know it, done it, getting a tee shirt with it written on it. :)  You really have to start writing that book, Happy!

ChunkyJunky, it's a mystery, but I would do exactly what you are planning to do. There are good people in the world, and some people take notice!

As for the misheard lyrics, I love hearing mondegreens!  I've been guilty of quite a few. My most memorable is when my sister and I were riding home from work one day talking. This song came on and I said, while I like the message, I don't get the lyrics. My sister looked at me strangely and asked what I thought the message was. I said women taking control of situations. She then asked my what I heard. "Sitting downtown in a railway station, a woman took over the line."  She then told me the real lyrics. Still can't hear "One toke over the line" without thinking about a woman getting so fed up with public transportation she just takes over. ;)

And the most important: Sorry to see you go Somepity. Hopefully, you'll be back if only to say hi in the prayer closet.

Edited by Catlyn
  • Love 4

Well it looks like we are paying for our warm December temperatures here in the Mid-Atlantic, Northeast area. Blizzard snow is supposed to start here in Maryland tomorrow afternoon or evening & last til Sunday morning with predictions of 1-2 feet. We're used to snow but not this amount all at once.

My Angel sister braved the grocery store last night to get some things for herself, our mom & me. She went to an out of the way store hoping it wouldn't be too busy but others had the same idea cuz it was. She got the last carton of eggs for me & mom to share. We go crazy in this area getting the staples of milk, bread & toilet paper when 2" of snow is predicted. I'm sure the shelves are empty today.

• Love 5

Well it looks like we are paying for our warm December temperatures here in the Mid-Atlantic, Northeast area. Blizzard snow is supposed to start here in Maryland tomorrow afternoon or evening & last til Sunday morning with predictions of 1-2 feet. We're used to snow but not this amount all at once.

My Angel sister braved the grocery store last night to get some things for herself, our mom & me. She went to an out of the way store hoping it wouldn't be too busy but others had the same idea cuz it was. She got the last carton of eggs for me & mom to share. We go crazy in this area getting the staples of milk, bread & toilet paper when 2" of snow is predicted. I'm sure the shelves are empty today.

Yeah, you're supposed to get it worst in MD than we are in NJ.  Though Lord knows it can shift and we'll get smacked.  I need to go after work for cat food and TP (and booze).  I think the cat very well might eat me if I don't get him food.  

• Love 7

Thinking of all on the East Coast and hoping for the best... Stay safe and warm, won't you? ;-)

And stay home too, everyone! There's been plenty of warning time for this one. We were hearing "damn good chance a monster storm is heading our way" at this time LAST week. The deluge is set to start in less than 24 hours. If you don't have something you need, there's a really good chance you won't be able to get it now anyway. Even if you DO go out. And especially if you sit smack-dab in "Jonas'" path. So hunker down with whatever you like during blizzards. Coffee, hot tea, hot chocolate. Popcorn, cookies, crockpot pulled pork. Reading, backgammon, sewing. Anything you like and don't usually get enough time to do. And may the Force be with you all ...❄️

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 9

And stay home too, everyone! There's been plenty of warning time for this one. We were hearing "damn good chance a monster storm is heading our way" at this time LAST week. The deluge is set to start in less than 24 hours. If you don't have something you need, there's a really good chance you won't be able to get it now anyway. Even if you DO go out. And especially if you sit smack-dab in "Jonas'" path. So hunker down with whatever you like during blizzards. Coffee, hot tea, hot chocolate. Popcorn, cookies, crockpot pulled pork. Reading, backgammon, sewing. Anything you like and don't usually get enough time to do. And may the Force be with you all ...❄️

Agree. Kind of like going through hurricanes except without the cold.  Just hope the power doesn't go out!!  We kept a sterno stove and cans of sterno for hurricane outages.  

• Love 4

Good luck ladies!  I was just chatting with a friend who was hoping to fly out of D.C. on Saturday.  Made the vacation plans 4 months ago.

Oh geez, I doubt they'll be going anywhere. That's too bad.

I'm worried most about power outages. We do have a generator & space heaters ready to go as well as flashlights & those Halo type cell phone chargers. I'm hoping by being prepared, we won't need them.

Wellfleet -Great advice about everyone staying put, esp since its a Saturday. But can't wait to hear about the idiot driving an old compact car getting stuck on the road for hours &blocking the plows. They'll say they didn't realize it was that bad out & were just going to the mall (which will probably be closed anyway) cuz they were bored. Like you suggested, we have the most important stuff - plenty of snack foods ready to go too. Hot chocolate sounds so good.

• Love 3

Well, we just got moved from the expected 12-18" inch snow zone to the 18-24" zone. Whee. Fortunately DH prepared by getting gas for the generator and baking some lovely chocolate chip cookies. You gotta love a guy with his priorities in order. :-)

Brief Personal Anecdote:

We live on what might, at best, be labeled a tertiary road; it's actually a dead end street with exactly three houses on it. We'd probably be dead last on the snow plow priority list, but as it happens one of the houses is occupied by the local Fire Chief. We have the plows coming through all night long when there's a snowstorm. Then the Chief goes out with his snowblower and does all our sidewalks. It's a beautiful thing. Thanks, Rob!

Good luck and be careful, everyone. Stay home, stay warm, eat cookies.

• Love 16

Years ago California had a series of brown outs to conserve energy.  I lived in Oakland a few blocks from the courthouse.  Ends up since there was a jail in the building and we were on the same grid, we had no brown outs.  If power failed, an emergency override kicked in.  Didn't want the jail cells popping open or the badge driven door locks failing.  

Before that I worked for the power company.  During the big quake, my house was one of the first to have the gas inspectors come out.  They checked out whole block and had the gas back on for everyone.  They also dropped off a few generators for us to share as needed.  The neighbors thought I was incredibly important.  I was an admin asst in employee assistance.  I was high on the list to get help because there was the thought they could call us in to help counsel employees in a disaster.  They never did.  Since we had power, we set up some outside lights and had a barbecue with our neighbors.  Gave generators to the people who needed them most.  We built some serious good will and finally met the people on our block.

So it really helps to have the right neighbors in an emergency.  

• Love 9

We are in almost but not quite north Georgia but do have some snow - Maybe a half inch on the ground. Roads are either icy or clear. Too dark out to tell. Plus the power went out this am. Estimates are it will be back on soon. No need to panic. No need to panic.

• Love 3

We are in almost but not quite north Georgia but do have some snow - Maybe a half inch on the ground. Roads are either icy or clear. Too dark out to tell. Plus the power went out this am. Estimates are it will be back on soon. No need to panic. No need to panic.

Hope it is back on, or at least very soon!!

• Love 2

Looking at news media this morning....what a scary storm. Sounds like you all are prepared, I hope you all weather the storm with no issues! Do you look at it as forced relaxation (although I guess there is a worry element to it right?)? Stay warm and safe.

Good luck East Coasters. Although I'm in New England, the prediction in my area is under 6".

They have not been able to make up their minds on what sort of accumulation we will get over the past few days...We are in Southeastern CT, and early in the week the predictions were for about 5-8", then 10-12", after which it went to 3-5", then decided, for a couple of days, that it would be 1-3", until last night when they raised it to 5-8" again, and now this morning we are expecting blizzard conditions with up to 14".....Guess there's really no substitute for just looking out of the window.

Edited to add: Now it looks as though they have apparently backtracked to a total accumulation of 4-8"....Geez! Why do I even bother with weather forecasts??

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 5

Good luck East Coasters. Although I'm in New England, the prediction in my area is under 6".

Here on the southern shore of Lake Ontario we're getting Zippo too. A major change for us since we're usually the ones getting socked with snow. But I can totally relate to everyone in Jonas' path right now. Stay inside, stay warm. Stay nourished, hydrated, entertained and well-rested. After all, times like these are why God invented junk food and alcohol [just kidding]. Normal dull ordinary life will return before you know it - and isn't it nice to have things shaken up a bit every once in a while? A little shaken up, mind you. Nothing drastic or permanent or expensive, please God. ❄️

• Love 4

Are you along the coast? I live in Vegas now but grew up in a coastal MA town. My mother is freaking out because she's afraid they're going to lose power and she won't be able to watch the Patriots game tomorrow. I guess there's supposed to be a lot of wind.

• Love 1

Are you along the coast? I live in Vegas now but grew up in a coastal MA town. My mother is freaking out because she's afraid they're going to lose power and she won't be able to watch the Patriots game tomorrow. I guess there's supposed to be a lot of wind.

I'm inland. The wind is very crazy right now!

• Love 1

Is she on the south shore or cape?  The cape and the islands are supposed to get worst of it in MA with the wind and the snow.  I'm a bit north of Boston and there's only supposed to be an inch or two of snow here.

• Love 1

HFC my kids used to sing Bringing in the Sheeps.They were in the choir,couldn't carry a tune but they would belt the songs out as happy as clams.My kids had this Boney M tape they listened to over and over and my youngest used to love singing Night Night Penis I better say it should have been Night Flight to Venus.I guess they came by it honestly because my brother and i used to sing along with my dads old records(he also had a fantastic collection of 78s in mint condition.I wonder whatever happened to them).Okay I am showing my age here.There was an old song called the Lumberjack song and a line was boil up some tea in an old tin can(i think that was it)We would sing had to take a pee in an old tin can.

I decided today to take a run down to the nearist "city" to get a few groceries.It is 45 minutes away so I stopped at the only Timmies up here for a tea and a carrot orange muffin to sustain me.I plugged my mp3 player in and was happily listening to my tunes.I have a very varied liking in music and there is everything from classical to well, the foolish stuff like what I am writing about.Now my defence is I am extremely sleep deprived from being on a stretch of 12hr night shifts.I am also blaming all you nice folks for ignighting my spark of snark in the first place.Ray Stevens pops on singing Mississippi Squirrel Revival.I got picturing Bin leading everyone that thought they had religion or a demon then when it ran "all the way down to the amen pew where sat sister Bertha better than you" I was taking a bite of my muffin and equating Berth to Jessa and darn near choked on it.I had to pull over and try to catch my breath.A fella a couple of cars back pulled over to offer help because thats what folks around here do.I was waving him off hoping he wouldn't get out to see why I stopped.Thankfully he got my message and continued on.That started a tears rolling down the cheeks laugh fest.I wiped my face and got back on the road before someone else came to save me.

All you guys in the path of the storm I hope you are safe and at home.I do admit I am happy it is not supposed to impact us in my part of Atlantic Canada.

WELLFLEET when you were listing what you hope they all had I must have been reading quick because I saw porn.I said what and looked again.I apologise,you said popcorn.

• Love 4

Here in Maryland we've had a little bit of everything. I live south of Baltimore & north of Annapolis - "the I-95 corridor" as we are called. We will probably end up getting the 1-2 feet of snow as they predicted, depending on the wind & drifting snow. As for Ocean City,our beach town on the Eastern Shore, they got the typical Nor'Easter overnight with rain & bad flooding of the streets. Part of their main road thru town was shut down because of flooding & part of the fishing pier was gone. Their mayor said the rain is supposed to change to snow before it ends, giving them 3".

I'm sure we aren't the only area that has been having almost constant news coverage. It really gets out of hand because there is only so much the reporters can report on & plenty of time to do it. They think we are idiots & have never seen snow before no matter how big the storm is. They are on the side of the road picking up the snow & deciding amongst themselves if it's wet or dry snow & how deep it is. Yesterday morning they interviewed an ER doc, who told us that when we are outside & start shivering, it's time to come in. Early this morning, a reporter was asking a snow plow driver what he had just bought at the Mini Mart. His expression looked like he was ready to plow down the reporter. They had to show us how busy a store's parking lot was on Wednesday. It just goes on & on....

Stay safe & warm everyone !!

• Love 5

Is she on the south shore or cape? The cape and the islands are supposed to get worst of it in MA with the wind and the snow. I'm a bit north of Boston and there's only supposed to be an inch or two of snow here.

She's on the South Shore, so if the forecast stays accurate, I'm thinking she'll be okay. I hope everyone in the Northeast is staying safe. Go Pats!!!

Speaking of the right neighbors, there was a blizzard in Seattle in 1990 but we are much more prone to windstorms. We had a Cat 1 hurricane (conveniently termed a "windstorm") in Western Washington in 2006. Power was out for a week. Our hometown was on the national news; the Snoqualmie Valley acted as a wind tunnel and an intersection two miles or so from our house was covered in downed power lines. (Think spaghetti.) Forty-eight power poles on that stretch of road were snapped in half. The power outage combined with bone-chilling temps. The National Guard showed up here after a few days and went door to door pulling people with hypothermia out of their houses. The guy in charge of work crews for the local utility had retired a few months before and lives in our hometown. There were crews coming from all over the West Coast and Canada, but most were hanging out and not doing a lot of work.

The power company called him in a panic because they needed help motivating these folks to get to work. He agreed with one condition: Our hometown was first. I still remember driving home from the laundromat in another town with our freshly washed clothes after 5 days to see a power crew working on the pole a few blocks from our house. I pulled my car onto the shoulder, got out and approached. Cautiously. "Do you guys need coffee? How about food? I'll go get it." They assured me everything was fine and they would get the power back on. I don't think those guys paid for coffee or a meal for the three days they were in town. They were greeted like rock stars.

I am hoping the power stays on for all and you and your loved ones are safe, warm, and the neighbor comes over with his snow blower. ;-)

• Love 6

I will never get to leave my house to start shoveling. Every time the wind dies down, the snow increases and then the wind increases. We have about 21/2 feet on the ground but so far no power outages. I am amused by neighbors out shoveling in this wind only to turn around and have it all erased. I don't really get it.

• Love 7

I will never get to leave my house to start shoveling. Every time the wind dies down, the snow increases and then the wind increases. We have about 21/2 feet on the ground but so far no power outages. I am amused by neighbors out shoveling in this wind only to turn around and have it all erased. I don't really get it.

chicklet I grew up in New Jersey.  My father did not believe in doing any work relating to the house himself.  He "delegated" it (translate - forced) my brothers and me to shovel, rake whatever.  His theory was, that if we stayed out there while it was still snowing, it wouldn't accumulate and he would "win" against the neighbors.  Many a snowstorm we were out there during the snowfall, blizzard, shoveling, whining and crying.  Didn't matter to him. Same with leaves.  He said we should stand out there and catch the leaves as they fell so his lawn would look better than the neighbors.  So I get what you are saying.  

Our power came on after about 3 hours out.  Nothing to complain about.  We went to the son's house to shower and go to see the Book of Mormon.  I thought "how horrified would the Duggars be, if they even understood half of it".  Fun times.

• Love 6

I like to get out during a storm to get some of it, but when the wind is like this it does feel pointless. But, with that much snow, it does help to do it in bits. The snowblower only reaches so high.

I live in MA, but right outside Providence RI, so quite southern MA and we're getting a bit of snow. But after last year, this is manageable. The wind has been whipping since this morning. I'm just glad it was on a Saturday so they won't miss school. Undoubtedly the kids will have snow days, it's just nice to miss having one this time.

• Love 2

I'm getting a few days off from this blizzard so other than having to shovel ALL day tomorrow I don't mind it so much. I baked bread, I made soup, I'm being a bum but it's keeping me from seeing my best friend Monday. And my spouse and I haven't come close to murder so that's all good. I actually like winter most of the time.

• Love 4