Type keyword(s) to search

Mr. Selfridge - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Unpopular opinion:

I was thrilled for Josie and Mr. Groves.  I know he's been perfectly awful to her from the very first, but I feel such strong chemistry between the two actors and Josie is clearly incurably in love with him.  I think it's steaming  hot the way she un-stuffs his stuffiness whenever she's around.  Now they can live in her mansion, keep on the nanny and other servants, both work in the store, and come home to long hot baths together.

I'm glad Victor just said no to Violette.  He has had enough of pushy, rich women who picked him out for his looks  and then expected him to respond. He hated it when he  was required to be Lady Mae's toy boy for the store restaurant.  He truly loved Agnes, I would like to see him find someone like her.

He's just not into you Violette, but that's no reason to marry someone you're not that into.  Give life time.

George and Kitty's sister.  A nice change for George to have a girl nervously knocking over merchandise when he's around.  He used to be the bumbling nervous one.  The war really did make a man out of him.

I found it so satisfying to watch Harry turn Nasty Nancy away.  I believe she did fall in love with him, but  she is a horrible person who has hurt many people before Harry. He could never trust her again.

I like Lord Loxley's evil little, hand rubbing schemer and now that he has that gigantic penguin as a partner he's even funnier. 

Mr. Crabb is back solidly behind Harry.  I hope he doesn't go down with the ship.

Overall I liked this season.  I'm more interested in the personal stories than I ever was in the history of retail. Oh, some things about it were interesting, but the stories where Agnes would  do something like turn the entire store into a music hall, overnight, seemed far fetched and a bit boring to me, so I don't miss any of that.

I'm really looking forward to story of The Dolly Sisters.   I've always wondered how a  trashy woman can manage to ruin an intelligent man, but it happens all the time, so I want to see how it plays out on the screen.

• Love 4
I'm really looking forward to story of The Dolly Sisters.   I've always wondered how a  trashy woman can manage to ruin an intelligent man, but it happens all the time, so I want to see how it plays out on the screen.

I think the key is probably that Harry makes it easy for them.  We have seen that his decision making process is often bold, but very rash, and he likes to spend extravagantly even when he really cannot afford to do so.  For someone looking to take advantage, that's an easy mark. 

• Love 2

Did NOT want to see Miss Mardle back with Mr. Grove.  She deserves better, and he deserves to stew in his juices.

I know! I adore Miss Mardle and think she's all kinds of awesome. She's my fave character on the show. Mr. Grove, really, really, really doesn't deserve her. Why did Florian have to die? At least she had a nice, young hottie who loved her for awhile.

I think next season is going to be a downer for sure. For those who know the history, did Gordon end up ever running the store after Harry was ruined?

• Love 1

Ugh, the ending of this episode was over the top, particularly Violette going to Paris (alone? at night?) and then the gambling scene, which had weird effects.

I'm mad that Ms. Mardle took Mr. Grove back. There was a crew member visible in the mirror during that scene, too, which was kind of funny.

• Love 1

Ugh, the ending of this episode was over the top, particularly Violette going to Paris (alone? at night?) and then the gambling scene, which had weird effects.

Haha, I forgot to comment about that in my post.  In the gambling scene at the end, there was some over the top rock music playing, signaling this is the beginning of the end for Harry, I guess.  

• Love 1

I've been binge-watching Mr. Selfridge for a couple of weeks and am THOROUGHLY enjoying it.  I'm just a few epis away from the end of season 3, but can't wait until season 4 begins.  :-)  While I was Googling around for more info on the Selfridge family, I stumbled upon this one. (see link)   It's a great interview with Harry Selfridge's great granddaughter.  She sheds a ton of light on the true Selfridge story…starting with Harry's beard.  Yep, his beard.  But I won't spoil the rest for you.  Check the story out in the Daily Mail.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2944115/Great-granddaughter-tycoon-Mr-Selfridge-says-wasn-t-womaniser.html

• Love 2

The actress that plays Violette is terrible. Her nasal fake American accent takes me out of every damn scene.

Nancy and her brother had such a creepy relationship. He seemed almost jealous about her relationship.

I love George and Gordon, and Grace. Next season is going to be depressing- don't know if I can stomach it.

I was kinda sorta rooting for Nancy and Harry to make it. I knew it had to be unlikely the real life story happened this way, but awww, she was going to abandon her scam! She really wanted to build those cottages! She really loved him!

Though the cynical part of me do wonder if she would be that interested in Harry if he has no money.

I saw the "Secrets of Selfridges" documentary on Netflix a while back, so I have some vague idea of what's coming next. I wonder if the show is going to end on elderly pauper Harry standing outside the store in his once fine clothes that have become shabby with age. How depressing would that be? Maybe they'll go slightly more uplifting and have some staff who still respected him buy him a cup of tea or something.

I power watched this whole series on Netflix, so the varied tone of the series was really apparent.

Agnes and Henri were two of my favourite characters. Henri- in the first season, with his velvet waistcoats, continental panache and his stone cold foxness (seriously, that is a dashing man) and lovely, open faced Agnes's romance was very sweet. Until he left her. 

I liked them in the second season- his mysterious behaviour, his sad beard in the second episode. her maturity and great embroidered jacket. I thought Agnes and Victor were great friends, but it didn't quite work as a romance.

Agnes and Henri leaving the show made sense, and I appreciate that he was shell shocked, as many were. It was incredibly sad to watch and I thought Henri's last window was one of the most beautiful on the show. I just wish there was more about their creative partnership featured in the show- I think that was the key to their relationship- he opened up the world to her and in her, he found someone who corresponded to him creatively. They understood each other creatively.  I'll also miss Agnes' ability to cry- seriously, her eyes are faucets. She's a beautiful crier. (As for their money situation, I imagine Henri is from money. He describes his family home as large. I think his shabbiness in the second season was because he was on the run and sad, rather than genuinely poor.) 

In general, the issue I have is that I wish the show was more about the shop girls. Kitty, Agnes, Miss Mardle (Amanda Abbington is a great actress) and earlier ones like Miss Revillious and Miss Bunting, were way more interesting than the Selfridge family. 

Also, side note, who ever did the makeup and hair on the ladies in the third season needs to stop doing make up. There is no need to make any of these ladies jowl-y. 

• Love 1

In the Season 4 premiere, Harry has his hands full with a house full of kids, upstart wheeler-dealer Jimmy Dillon and a planned tribute to women, a statue called the Queen of Time. In other events, the Groves are at loose ends; and the Dolly sisters ruin Mae's fashion show.

Lady Mae is back!

• Love 2

Ugh...don't know if I can last through this final season. If the Dolly sisters are going to be a major story, I'm out. If I want to watch more OTT "acting" and famewhore sibling behavior, I could DVR the Kartrashian sisters show. All their annoying shenanigans were bad enough, then Violette showed up too. Piven chews enough scenery on his own. Do we need the no talent daughter and the boozy-floozy twins to suck up all the remaining oxygen on set?

I like the supporting characters so much. I like the new seamstress and the Groves & Edwards families. I like Mae and glad she's back. Maybe I will just FF through the insufferable scenes so I can see how the likeable characters end up.

• Love 1

I only saw about 15 minutes and then checked out.  I'm not looking forward to Harry's downward spiral, and I'm certainly not looking forward to the Dolly sisters.  I'll check in from time to time, but I'm over this show.

• Love 1

I know they're taking liberties with some aspects of Selfridge's real life in order to amp up the drama, but I wish they would do more to age Jeremy Piven somewhat properly. In 1928 Selfridge was 70. All they've done to Piven is add a little gray hair on the sides, and he looks exactly like he did in Season 1, which by the show's own timeline was 20 years earlier. There's not a wrinkle to be seen. It just bugs me.

I agree that I'm not looking forward to this season as his life goes into a downward spiral around this time and he ends up dying destitute. I don't know if they're going to go that far because it would really end the series on a depressing note.

• Love 4

I'm sure I missed it because my brain tunes out of most of this show, but how did Lady Mae Loxley become Madame Rennard?

I know they're taking liberties with some aspects of Selfridge's real life in order to amp up the drama, but I wish they would do more to age Jeremy Piven somewhat properly. In 1928 Selfridge was 70. All they've done to Piven is add a little gray hair on the sides, and he looks exactly like he did in Season 1, which by the show's own timeline was 20 years earlier. There's not a wrinkle to be seen. It just bugs me.

I'd say they did the same thing with all the other characters.  Nobody's aged except for the child characters who are now adults.  And I didn't see the scar on Kitty's cheek--I can't imagine that would ever have gone away.

• Love 1

I only saw about 15 minutes and then checked out.  I'm not looking forward to Harry's downward spiral, and I'm certainly not looking forward to the 

I agree that I'm not looking forward to this season as his life goes into a downward spiral around this time and he ends up dying destitute. I don't know if they're going to go that far because it would really end the series on a depressing note.

I hate it when shows don't bother aging their actors even when decades have passed, Occasionally the acting is so good it isn't needed--see Travis Fimmel on Vikings, about 15 or so years have passed, and he calls himself "old" (the character would be around 40) and Fimmel, without aging makeup I can see, sells the decade and a half because he acts the part of a man broken down by life--Piven, not so much.

I  agree Piven should be looking much older and I also wonder why they don't seem to be trying to make the Dolly sisters look at all like the originals?

dolly-sisters5.jpg

I wonder if they are trying to make the sisters look like the very blonde Betty Grable and June Havor in The Dolly Sisters (1945)?

the-dolly-sisters-from-left-betty-grable

• Love 2
I wonder if they are trying to make the sisters look like the very blonde Betty Grable and June Havor in The Dolly Sisters (1945)?

Two wrongs don't make a right. :)

From the little bit I've read about them, they were at least a little bit more exotic and less ditzy than the blondes we saw.  Their specialty seemed to be posing in mirror images that were sort of artistic:9a82eb2d3822000c55e26dd45aeb1423.jpg

I was expecting languid and sultry, rather than shrill and giggly. Mr. Selfridge had seen a lot of generic chorus girls by the time he met Jenny Dolly, so unless she had something really special, it's even harder to imagine why he would lose his fortune for her.

• Love 1

Horrified that the Dolly Sisters are going to be returning, or -- worse -- regulars. They were too extreme, too Kardashian, which is to say too vulgar and I didn't believe them and was actually startled with the "one" showed up later in his office for a passionate kiss -- I was guessing "high priced hookers" and more Selfridge bad judgment (expecting his customers to be amused by them). Difficult ... I've never warmed to either Piven or Selfridge, though Piven had improved a great deal but now seem back to playing Willy Wonka ... I just checked IMDB and had absolutely-no-idea Priven's resume was so long and went back so far ...He was even in things I'd seen and liked.

IMHO it will be quite a feat if (Piven) can make us care (much less shed tears) over Selfridge's future... so far it's got nothing much in the way competition ... 

• Love 1

I know they can't tell the true story of Selfridges downfall without the Dolly sisters so I don't mind them too much. 

What I've always minded is the anachronistic dialogue.  Gordon wouldn't have said, "Family is everything to me," he would have said "My family,"  or "You and the children," if he just meant  his wife and kids.  Meryl wouldn't have narrowed her eyes and said the things she did to her father, in those days, without getting her head slapped off her neck.  I truly can't stand anything about her and I was sorry to see that she was nice to the new seamstress in the end, because that would indicate that we're meant to like her.  Way too little too late, writers!  Conversely they wanted to make sure we hated the Dolly sisters by having one of them call the African-American boxer a negro.  Which actually was the proper thing to say at the time. 

The language bothers me every time but it seemed constant jarring in this episode.  And they do such a wonderful job on the  period clothes and sets!

• Love 2
Conversely they wanted to make sure we hated the Dolly sisters by having one of them call the African-American boxer a negro.  Which actually was the proper thing to say at the time.

We were supposed to hate them for saying that?  I just don't think they add much to the show, but calling someone a "negro" in a period piece isn't really going to make me dislike a character.  As you said, it was proper, polite terminology for the time. 

In 1928 Selfridge was 70. All they've done to Piven is add a little gray hair on the sides, and he looks exactly like he did in Season 1, which by the show's own timeline was 20 years earlier. There's not a wrinkle to be seen. It just bugs me.

I'm with you.  I understand this isn't a documentary, but you figure they would at least try to follow the general outlines of the guy's life, i.e. if he is supposed to be 70 in 1928, they don't have the character look like he is in his late 40s.  It certainly would add another dimension to his relationship with the Dolly sisters if he looks his age, rather than substantially younger.   

• Love 4

I found the time jump to be totally confusing for at least the first 15 minutes. Too many kids and too many main characters still looking like their youthful selves. I really needed a slower intro back into the show. It's been awhile since it's been on and I forgot who half those people are/were. I did enjoy Lady Mae; she was always one of my favorite characters. 

I was kind of over the show last season, but since there is only one left, I thought I might as well finish what I started. 

I read the Wikipedia page on the Dolly Sisters which is a pretty fascinating story in itself. Too bad they show chose to made them ditzy blondes; a cliche if there ever was one. The Dolly Sisters (real) story would actually make a good MPT production.

• Love 2

would add another dimension to his relationship with the Dolly sisters if he looks his age, rather than substantially younger.

and might make him more sympathetic ... that backward fall was horrific, but he bounced-right-back pretty much like the energizer bunny which has been one of my problems -- even if it's an accurate protrayal of Selfridge's overbearingly American personality in all it's positive-thinking can-do glory or Priven's "interpretation" ... it's  one-note. 

• Love 2

I'm trying to find something interesting to say about this episode and failing.

Jeremy Piven now looks the same age as his supposed children. Did I say last week they only added a touch of gray to his hair? I was wrong, this week I can see there is none. The character is supposed to be 70 years old at this point in time.

• Love 3

I had trouble with Mr. Grove -- with the brain tumor and neuropathy -- taking his children for a drive ... I kept expecting him to either have a seizure or drive the car off a cliff/into a wall ... just because, it was all so tragic and ... his driving was such an incredibly dangerous thing to do ... with a brain tumor and apparently progressive symptoms ... whatever. 

I hate gambling and I loathe stories where 'gambling problems' figure ... since they always end badly (rather like brain tumors) -- can't think of a single story with gambling with a happy ending... but whatever ... his kids are pretty much my favorite part of the story ... and I found myself wondering how Selfridge will let him down or screw him over.... 

• Love 3

I've always loved Gordon, the character and the actor. How awful to watch your domineering father gamble away your life's work. I don't feel bad for his daughters, they, along with Merle, all three talk to their fathers in such a disrespectful, snotty, 2015 style that I can't stand them. I'm a couple of generations after them but I wouldn't have dreamed of confronting my father about the female company he keeps, how late he stayed out or even his decisions about my mother's gravestone.

Poor Mr. Groves with his "vroom-vroom" automobile and his dire sentence. Thank goodness he has Mr. Crabb.

I'm glad they've developed the Dolly sisters beyond just ditzy dames. One of them actually was famous for her gambling successes and Jenny did suffer from depression.

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm getting confused with the episode ordering and titles. The one that was broadcast in the US on 4/3/16 was actually Episode 3. The premiere from the previous week was actually the first two episodes of season/series 4 joined together. Why is this topic headed "S04.E02: Part 2?" If we go by the US broadcasts, it's 4.02 (but not Part 2). If we go by the UK broadcasts, it's 4.03, and there should be a separate topic for 4.02 (AKA US 4.01, Part 2).

Edited by J-Man
  • Love 1

So glad this series is back along with Lady Mae!  I loved her in season 2 and was so disappointed she wasn't in season 3.

Anyway, I noticed that PBS had the first episode on at 10:00pm to 11 so I recorded it.  I looked ahead in the guide and the episode was repeated again at 02:00am until 4:00am so I recorded that too.  I watched the later recording first and it ran for about 128 minutes and it ended with Harry arriving home to find that his dear mother had passed away.  They then had a few scenes of the upcoming (2nd) episode.  The remaining 1/2 hour was filled with previews of upcoming PBS shows for the Summer.  It looks to be a good season on PBS!

After viewing that recording I scanned the first 1 hour recording then watched the last few minutes.  That ended abruptly with that young black girl getting in line to apply for the sewing job - that was it - nothing else so it was a good thing I happened to look ahead and get the full first episode.

If I recall when they begin a new season it is usually longer than the 'middle' episodes - not sure why they didn't broadcast the full first episode in the 10:00pm time slot.   I have yet to view the most recent (2nd) episode as I like to stack up several then watch a few back to back.

Now on to Lady Mae - she is absolutely delicious in her role.  She says so much while actually saying very little!  I read in an earlier post up thread that she is in all 10 episodes - certainly something to look forward to.

Overall I really enjoyed the start of the final season but since I've read up on Harry Gordon Selfridge (as I'm sure others have done too) I hope the finale isn't too depressing.

Mickiemac

I've always loved Gordon, the character and the actor. How awful to watch your domineering father gamble away your life's work.

I'm a little more mixed on this.  How much of Gordon's work only exists because of his father?  It wasn't clear to me if I was supposed to think Gordon was being spoiled about the whole thing, or if his beef was legitimate. 

Jeremy Piven now looks the same age as his supposed children. Did I say last week they only added a touch of gray to his hair? I was wrong, this week I can see there is none. The character is supposed to be 70 years old at this point in time.

It is true that he looks like he could almost be an older sibling to his children, than someone who would be anywhere close to Harry Selfridge's real age at the time.  It's a very strange choice for a show that at least has tried to stay somewhat true to the real person's life.   

Poor Mr. Grove and his children! Those kids are in store for more tragedy.

The actress who plays Violette gets on my last nerve with her atrocious "American" accent. Why couldn't they have just hired an American actress for the part?

• Love 2
I still can't figure out why the daughters "sound" American, and Gordon sounds 100% British.

I think Gordon was supposed to have been sent away to an English school at a young age, and he just picked up the accent.  The other children were older and didn't pick up the accent. 

How much of Gordon's work only exists because of his father?

Well of course none of Selfridges would exist without Gordon's father, but Gordon has spent most of his working life in "the colonies," managing and developing those 15 stores, so even though he wasn't the originator of the brand it's still his work that has made those stores thrive.  If his father is going to feel free to gamble away anything with the Selfridge name on it, Gordon might as well go work somewhere else and quit wasting his time.  He has never seemed spoiled to me, just eager to work hard and take on more responsibility.

• Love 1

I feel so sorry for Mr. Grove and his family. They lost their mother and now they are losing him. I don't like this story line. We don't need another depressing story line. If they stay anywere near Mr. Selfridge's true story, that part will be depressing enough.

• Love 5

Harry on the show seems to have accepted Gordon's marriage pretty well.

Anyone remember or have a link to the PBS special about the true story of Selfridges?

I remember the Gordon's children saying they had never met their Grandfather. I think they talked about Harry not knowing about their existance? I'd like to find their true story.