Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E16: Live Playoffs 2

• Start Topic

I wanted Jean Kelly to be better than she was tonight. Not good. Wrecking ball (Ricky?) also disappointed me. I liked the cute as a button teenager from Gwen's team. I think she has potential. Luke has charisma, so much so that I actually wonder if he could break the Voice curse after the show. This was the first time I really liked Taylor (when in doubt this season, call someone Taylor). After a night of bad karaoke, I really enjoyed his performance.

Sugar and Elijah (sp) leaving would make me happy. I don't see Pharrell letting both of them go though. Eliajah as front runner? I hope not.

The judges were an absolute mess tonight. Adam and Gwen especially. Blake's final critique of the night made it all worth it though. Bake is the MVP of the coaches. ETA: Does anyone remember the commercial Blake was talking about? I don't think I do.

Edited by Dots And Stripes
  • Love 2

I really enjoyed Anita tremendously tonight, and I thought Luke was really good.

I did not enjoy Pharrell's performance.   I did like the behind the scenes work he did with his singers--It seems like that is his true strength.

The other singers honestly did not hold my attention at all.

I'm just . . . I have no words for Pharrell having Jean on his team after what she did at the blinds.  I cannot believe she is still here after that!  Hopefully, the truly smart voters pass right over her and vote for any of the other four on his team.

And I'm someone who actually, grudgingly, liked her performance tonight.

• Love 2

I think Bass is a horrible piece of trash whose supposedly positive message is convoluted by its idiotic lyrics, and Anita's performance of it did not make me like it any better.

Bryana is definitely my favorite so far, and I'll be so irritated if she gets beat out by a rendition of a blight on mankind.

• Love 1

I honestly didn't really care for most of them tonight. Mainly because only one of the songs I knew (and that was the face song which I can't stand). That being said I'd say the best performances was Bryana and Anita (even if I hated the song).

I love Pharrell - he was looking especially turtle-y tonight. 

I do hope he steps away from the oldies soon - they are so over done on these singing shows, aside from Joni Mitchell, I suppose.  Apropos of nothing, I realize that Joni is a folk legend, and I can appreciate that Help Me is a very complicated, creative melody, but damn if that song isn't just overwhelmingly unpleasant - the melody has always annoyed the shit outta me.

That Elyjuh (good lord) kid really does have such vocal precision - kind of impressive, really - if I listen to him without watching, he's about 10 times better.

• Love 2

Ok, Shakira is officially no longer the judge who picks the worst songs. WTF Pharrell? Those songs were horrible. The only one on his team who got a good song was Elijah. The rest were way too cheesy or boring for The Voice.

I think it is official that I am just not going to like this season of The Voice. Too many interchangeable guys, too many R&B contestants, and a boring coaching panel. I really had higher hopes for tonight and ended up only liking 3 performances - Elijah, Briana and Anita.

Sugar and Jean were horrendous. I'm glad that Adam and Gwen called out Jean's absurd dramatics for being inauthentic, but also a bit unfair because last week they loved it. Sugar butchered that song and Blake lied through his teeth when he said it was the performance of the night. I think he was just happy to know one of the songs Pharrell picked.

Anita was excellent. The song didn't give her much chance to show off her voice but in a night filled with midtempo snoozers, she was the winner by far.

My Wish List

Team Gwen - Anita, Briana, the kid who looks like Winona Ryder

Team Pharrell - Elijah and Luke and Taylor from Blake's team. No one else is worth keeping on his team.

My predictions:

Team Gwen - Anita, Winona Ryder, and Gwen saves the boring guy who sang 1st

Team Pharrell - Elijah, Luke and Pharrell saves Sugar for some inexplicable reason

So this was a really interesting episode. Vocals were on a much higher level overall compared to Monday night's.  But for some reason, I didn't find myself getting caught up in any of the performances.

The most entertaining part of the episode for me was Gwen's critique of Jean.  Gwen was clearly not prepared to comment yet. She couldn't quite gather her thoughts to hide her honest negative feelings so she just blurted them all out. Too funny. I couldn't stop laughing. Then when it was Adam's turn, he tried to cover for Gwen in a way, but he couldn't do that without emphasizing how problematic Jean's performance was. Hilarious. I do kind of feel bad for Jean though. The critique was honest and Gwen and Adam both meant well, but Jean was the only one to face this. The coaches were back to their bland ways with the rest of the contestant feedback.

Pharrell's song choices and the contestants' execution felt really odd to me.  Kind of 80s, kind of loungy. It was like I had tuned into an adult contemporary station. Jean and Danica especially.  Even Elyjuh sounded like he was from that era despite singing a current song. Then Pharrell went even more old-school with Luke and Sugar.  I really felt like I was watching one of those infomercials for the "best of oldies" videos. Anyway, I think there is a ton of vocal talent on Pharrell's team, but the performances have to be more than just showcasing their vocal abilities. They need to sing more interesting/newer songs and create "moments".

Gwen's team fared a bit better for me in that I wasn't as bored.  But I wasn't particularly impressed by most of her contestants.  Bryana showcased great vocals but her song/performance felt like it came from a Disney movie.  Anita did not come across as a natural performer and also had some flaws in her vocals. Ricky and Ryan were boring. Taylor John Williams was the highlight.  I enjoyed his performance and appreciate his artistry. 

Based on tonight's performances, I only care that Taylor John Williams advances.  I could pretty much take or leave everyone else.  

I'm just . . . I have no words for Pharrell having Jean on his team after what she did at the blinds.  I cannot believe she is still here after that!  Hopefully, the truly smart voters pass right over her and vote for any of the other four on his team.

If the critiques are any indication, I think she'll easily be tossed tomorrow night.

If the critiques are any indication, I think she'll easily be tossed tomorrow night.

I was mystified by Pharrell taking her but she has been praised over and over again for her over-the-top emotional performances so I thought it was a bit unfair to all of a sudden call her inauthentic. We never heard Gwen say that once about her previously and she was on her team.

I was mystified by Pharrell taking her but she has been praised over and over again for her over-the-top emotional performances so I thought it was a bit unfair to all of a sudden call her inauthentic. We never heard Gwen say that once about her previously and she was on her team.

True.  Personally, I think she's way too melodramatic, but on top of that, she took a crappy song, and made it into a totally unrecognizable, even crappier song.  

• Love 1

Much better than last night, I really dig the addition of Pharrell and Gwen.  Loved watching Pharrell coach and produce and  I think Gwen picks good songs for her artists.  I would also love Pharrell to be my life coach.  Teach me to be a hummingbird Pharrell.

As much as I love Sam Smith, 3 songs of his in the playoffs? (Latch included)  I love love his songs but that's enough for the season.  For me, none of them were able to match Sam's soulfulness and insane range.  Damien had the soulfulness, Elyjuh had a bit of the range, Ricky had neither.

Ryan-It was pretty good actually and the song choice was great for him.  Admirable job, but I don't think it was very memorable.  He's a keener though, so A for effort.

Jean- That was...weird.  The arrangement was odd, she was too theatrical (not in a good way).  When someone more than 10 years younger than you is more capable of selling emotion, I think that's a problem.

Elyjuh-I always liked him and he is definitely talented.  He has great musicality and I just think his runs work.  I didn't really like how he sang the chorus though.  The judges knocked the Tae Kwon Do guy in the blinds for his arrangement and not sticking to the melody, but not Elyjuh.

Bryana- She might be one of my faves, she's got something.  It was a smart song choice from Gwen.  It appeals the younger crowd (5SOS is apparently the rage with tweens) and I think older crowds as well.  I think the timing of Veterans day and her father will help with votes (not sure how I feel about that though).  I do fear that if she does not make it through with America's vote, that Gwen will choose Ryan over her.

Luke- He can sing anything and I'll be sold.  I just love his voice and he's got great charisma.  His new hair makes him look a bit like Conan O'Brien though, heh.

Sugar/Sophia-I liked the beginning...but then she started to screech and growl.  This is one of the instances where the bad mixing helped because it drowned out her voice a bit.  She needs to tone down that growl because some parts were so lovely.  I also prefer Sophia Louise to Sugar.

Anita- I'm not a fan of the song, but I liked what she did with it.  The stage seemed so bare though when she was performing that it threw me off.  She's got the sass and flavour but I thinking in the next rounds (I do think she'll advance) she needs to show off her vocals more.  I was waiting for the "I'm bringing booty backkk" part of the song but she never sang it.  

Danica-Joni Mitchell is a goddess, I love her so much.  This was not a good choice for Danica but she the best she could.  She's a great singer, there's no doubt about it.  I just think she is a bit too "adult contemporary" for the show.  I have to keep reminding myself though that she is less than 2 years older than me.  

Ricky-He has some interesting aspects to his voice, he occasionally does some interesting runs.  But I don't think his voice itself is interesting or strong enough for that song or some other songs he's done.  

Taylor 3 names-I don't think he's as special of a unicorn as the coaches make him out to be but I do like him.  I like this bluesier side of him.  I'm interested in seeing more.

• Love 1

If I remember correctly, Pharrell looked like he was really enjoying Jean's performance tonight and gave her a standing ovation.  So maybe he didn't really agree with Gwen's and Adam's critique?

If you're talking about this Yahoo article (https://music.yahoo.com/blogs/reality-rocks/-the-voice--blind-auditions--pt--4--at-last-104130527.html), I don't know that I would judge anyone that harshly based on someone else's words. The reporter may not have interpreted that situation accurately. We all have awkward moments anyway. If Jean's personality was really that bad, the coaches probably would have not kept her around this long.  

Does anyone remember the commercial Blake was talking about? I don't think I do.

Vaguely, I think it was for Fruit of the Loom but I'm not sure.  Or maybe Secret Deodorant?  I don't know, it was some personal item.  The whole ad was just a string of laundry on a clothesline that was moving along a blue sky background.

Is it just me, or was Gwen completely unrecognizable tonight?  When Carson introduced her at the start of the show, I really thought that they had the wrong camera shot.  It's not any work she's had done, because last night she was her normal, gorgeous self.  I think it was her eyes, she looked like a cross between Julie Bowen and Joan Rivers (not a slam, just not Gwen's normal eyes).

Could just changing your hair to a center part make that much of a difference?  Maybe different eye makeup?

Edited by Sile

Gwen has definitely had work done between the blind auditions and the live shows. She is starting to have that generic Hollywood look that too many celebs have after plastic surgery removes all the interesting imperfections in your face. But, I think they got rid of about 70% of the make-up she was wearing last night which improved her looks. Like Christina Aguilera, Gwen looks much better when she loses the overdone hair and red lipstick. It's less garish.

• Love 2

My random thoughts:

The first shot I saw of Gwen, sitting in shadows as Ryan started singing, I thought, "Good Lord, she looks like Pamela Anderson!" Did she use lip fillers?

Why are the coaches telling all the singers to run around slapping hands with the audience? Is that the only way they can think of to make a connection? Smiling works, imo.

Luke Wade takes on Marvin Gaye and Marvin knocks his ass flat with one punch. I didn't think there was anything sexy at all in that performance (and the vaguely mutton-chop sideburns thing the stylists inflicted on him didn't help in that area, either.) The whole point of that song is blatant, unabashed seduction.  It needs to be intimate, intense, come-to-me-baby. Luke went around slapping hands with the audience.

Danica took on Joni Mitchell and Joni stuck her fingers in her ears and walked out. "Help Me" is one difficult song technically, but the message - Hey, I'm falling in love with you and I'm pretty scared about it because you have a bad rep and I'm afraid of getting in too deep, too fast - is totally relatable. Danica busied herself singing all the notes and missed the meaning. And she should never let the hair stylist who put that silly flower in her hair near her again. She needs bangs.

Speaking of bad styling, Sugar/Shirley  looked like she was wearing a Lanz of Austria floral bathrobe and she sang what sounded a lot more like the Dionne Warwick arrangement of "I Say A Little Prayer"  than the Aretha Franklin version. Did Pharrell just name check Aretha because he thought she'd be better known? In anay event, the back-up singers sang most of the melody while she wandered off to sing elaborate runs and occasional whoops and screeches that didn't add anything to the song, for me.

I think I understand why the judges jumped on Jean Kelley for being too dramatic tonight, when they seemed to have been encouraging her in the past. She just made a sailing leap too far this time. It was totally overwrought and unmelodic and she added a whole lot of frenetic hand movements. There was nothing sincere about that over-calculated performance.

Anita Antoinette is adorable and whoever put her in those pants with the stripe should be barred from doing wardrobe work for anyone ever again.

• Love 4

Is Pharrell always going to unilaterally choose songs for them? That was just sad, all those oldies that didn't relate to the kinds of music they want to be identified with.

And what is the stylist doing to the guys' hair? That big poufy mess on Luke's head looked like a squirrel died there, and Ryan Still had the same kind of pouffed-up styling. In fact, in Gwen's care, he lost about 50% of his cuteness and freshness somehow. Face too thin and tense, that poufy hair and the ..leather? ... fitted pants with fitted Nehru-type white shirt...Gwen might have even worn that outfit herself and looked okay in it. Maybe he would have done better styling himself and choosing his own song.

I didn't like Anita's song, but I like what she's doing and hope they'll let her do more reggae versions all the way through. Elyjuh Rene surprised me. He has such a great tone, great range. I was happy when he told Pharrell people had been telling him he was too much, too exaggerated and over the top. (Because...yes...) He was looking for advice and all Pharrell had to say was the usual blather about "be who you are, your truth...blahblah..."  I think he dialed it down anyway--good for him--but it could come down even more. His runs were among the best, but so overdone! Way way too many. I really wish Blake was coaching him and would tell him to keep about 10% of that. Pharrell obviously never will.

Has Gwen lost weight? She looked so skinny n rehearsals, and (like the changes to her face during the break) not in a good way.

Has Gwen lost weight? She looked so skinny n rehearsals, and (like the changes to her face during the break) not in a good way.

Probably, but she's probably closer to her regular weight.  She had just had her baby a few weeks before the taped episodes were filmed.

Gwen's look tonight was distracting. The modish pink dress and light lipstick mde her look like she just stepped out of a Yardley commercial circa 1966. She should stick to the tried and true.

The performances tonight were mostly meh. I grabbed the remote and switched channels during Jean. i just couldn't watch. Anita was the most entertaining. If I was downing a shot every time Blake said something along the lines of "That was great, man" I'd have serious alcohol poisoning. His auto-pilot is showing.

Edited by Hpmec
  • Love 1

Blake barely spoke the entire night. He wasn't even shown on camera that much. I don't know if he was wasted the entire night or what, but it was one of the problems with the night. Blake is the funniest coach on the panel and has the best chemistry with the other coaches'. His absence was glaring.

• Love 2

Speaking of bad styling, Sugar/Shirley  looked like she was wearing a Lanz of Austria floral bathrobe and she sang what sounded a lot more like the Dionne Warwick arrangement of "I Say A Little Prayer"  than the Aretha Franklin version. Did Pharrell just name check Aretha because he thought she'd be better known? In anay event, the back-up singers sang most of the melody while she wandered off to sing elaborate runs and occasional whoops and screeches that didn't add anything to the song, for me.

I realized, as I was listening to her performance, that I was actually paying more attention to the background singers who were actually singing the song, than to all of her embellishments that didn't add anything to it.  It was like, "Whoops, I'm paying attention to the wrong singers."

• Love 3

Just finished watching this, and very little stood out. Best of the night were Anita and Taylor, and the worst that I can remember were Sugar and Jean. The rest were just meh.

I will say that whoever did Let's Get It On completely missed the point of the song. It is all about sexiness, intensity, pleading, and he missed it all. For the best singing competition show version of this song, see Pentatonix just kill it on The Sing-Off:

• Love 3

Ryan- This was the definition of generic.

Jean- This was just a hot mess.  One of those performances that makes you wonder how the hell did she make it this far. Also, judges, we got it, she's too dramatic. Move on.

Eliyuh- Shocked the hell out of me. That song did him no favors but he still did a great job. Though lol @ his being the one  to beat on Pharrell's team. That was definitely a bit of games man ship,

Bryana- I didn't hate the performance but at the same time, it seems like she's out of her depth in comparison to the other  singers left.

Luke- I'm shocked that they've shown him this early in the show.  This song's tailor made for him. It was an alright performance. He did make the song his own. I feel that we can see more from him but it should easily get him into the next round.

Anita- This was a fun performance. Perfect song choice , Gwen.  I do wish she would have stayed reggae with that song. But I still loved the performance.

Danica- This is the first time she legit looked her age. She sounds a lot better when she's not trying to belt. Id put her though. Is Joni dead why did Gwen use past tense verbs to  describe her?

Sugar- Sugar gets the pharrell pimp spot? I didn't  see that coming. Don't they normally alternate the  teams?  Very good performance. I'm glad that she stopped those silly growls.

Ricky- Gwen's first bad song choice of the night. He did nothing with the song but with two other generic performers preceding him he could sneak into the next round.

Taylor- His voice has a nice tone but eh. The pimp spot should get him through to the live shows.

In conclusion. I'm not really impressed with this season. Normally there's one or two knockout performances  in the playoffs. There were none here, however the favorites did separate themselves from the pretenders.

This was so bad, I turned off the DVR after Luke and will finish tomorrow, so I've yet to see any performances beyond that.

Jean I felt bad for; that's as harsh as I've seen the coaches get, and watching Adam or Gwen scramble to say *anything* nice must have been hard. But I think it's a crap song choice, and some really crappy singing choices. Just awful.

Elyjuh was tone perfect and still painful to watch. The Jim Carrey mugging is too much. He's ready for radio today, but unfortunately this show is televised. Oops!

Luke was unsexy and weird, Bryana was soulless and predictable, and the forgettable boy band-ish guy who opened the show likely ends up looking much better by the time I finish the episode.

Pharrell is an amazing producer as we saw tonight... but he's surprised me as a lousy coach. Poor song choices for people who struggled to even sing them.

If next week is this bad, I'm Audi 9000...

• Love 1

Watched Sugar 's segment with Pharrell twice. He gazes at her, talks to her and touches her like a man who is crushing on her and is in lust with her. Go re watch their rehearsal segment and you'll see what I mean. I was so stunned I had to re watch it a second time because I couldn't believe how blatant it was. She seems thrilled to be working with him, but, at least in the clips we saw, didn't seem to be flirting with him.

Edited by Cramps

Cramps, I definitely thought the same. Sugar was completely star-struck and acting kind of girlish, while Pharrell acted like he was totally into her. It was pretty funny.  

On a separate note, I thought that Sugar sounded awesome in rehearsals. But then all of a sudden, she was shouting throughout the live performance. The coaches seemed to love it, so maybe there was something wrong with my TV.

Cramps, I definitely thought the same. Sugar was completely star-struck and acting kind of girlish, while Pharrell acted like he was totally into her. It was pretty funny.  

On a separate note, I thought that Sugar sounded awesome in rehearsals. But then all of a sudden, she was shouting throughout the live performance. The coaches seemed to love it, so maybe there was something wrong with my TV.

The bodyfriend made the comment "Man his wife is going to be PISSED when she sees how he is acting around her!"

ITA, I thought she sounded way better in rehearsal.  I was shocked at how craptacular it sounded live compared to the package footage.  She's still not my cup of tea at all, and I do not understand the Pharrell love unless the boyfriend is right.

I am amazed at how completely awful Pharrell has turned out, and how good Gwen is.  Gwen's people all see to be doing better and even though I wasn't thrilled with the song choices last night I think she did way better.  I don't care if she had plastic surgery or whatever, that's her choice.  The thing about her is man she really seems invested and really, really cares about her people.  She is totally taking this on as her job and responsibility, and I think that is wicked awesome.

One thing that stuck out the most in my mind is how I wanted Adam's sweater because it is colder than all get out here in Chicago and that sweater looked so warm and cozy...lol

• Love 1

Yes, joining the list of people who suffered by the choices Pharrell made this week was Mrs. Pharrell.

And normally I love the way he dresses but please no- no- no! Do not try to bring back the sweatband as a style accessory! Hats good sweatbands bad!

I've always really liked that Brenda Russell song but Jean made the melody unrecognizable. Dramatics weren't the problem so much as burying the tune itself. Which is a pity, because I like her.

Edited by Cramps

I have so many questions…Why does Pharrell like Sugar so much? When will we be free of her? What is wrong with the name Sophia Louise? That name doesn’t make me involuntarily roll my eyes like “Sugar Joans” does.

I liked Danica’s performance but between that Joni Mitchell song, her Whitney Houston song, and the fact that The Voice stylists are making her look as matronly as they did Tessane Chin, Pharrell needs to be giving her more current songs, IMO.

I feel like the band and backup singers are overpowering the performers, as they’ve done on previous seasons. Sometimes I struggle to hear the contestant over the booming band.

Since I am terribly bored with the performers so far this season, let me hop into the shallow end of the pool:

Gwen looked fantastic last night (loved the outfit, accessories, and hair) but her face is no longer hers. She definitely did something to her face between the Blinds and the Lives. I agree that she has the generic Hollywood blond woman look going on, and that’s a shame.

The Voice stylists never disappoint. Baggy leather pants on Ryan? WTF was Sugar wearing? Why do the stylists insist on making Danica look like she’s 45? Why put those pants on Anita?

• Love 1

There always seems to be a singer in the season who ends up critiqued for smiling too much during their performance.  I believe Elyjuh has taken that spot for me in this season and I am just waiting to hear it out of a coach's mouth soon.  Smiling when the song doesn't call for it throws the meaning/emotion of the performance of the song for me completely.   

Here's what I saw on the iTunes top 200 chart at 9:30 Eastern:

31 God Only Knows (Matt McAndrew)
48 I’m Not the Only One (Damien)
59 Try (Reagan James)
63  Holding Out For a Hero (Jessie Pitts)
68 Some Kind of Wonderful (Craig Wayne Boyd)
70 All About That Bass (Anita Antoinette)
73 Stuck in the Middle With You (Taylor John Williams)
76 Let’s Get It On (Luke Wade)
92 Cool Kids (Taylor Phelan)
98 I Say a Little Prayer (Sugar Joans)
113 Latch (Elyjuh Rene)
116 Mad World (Taylor John Williams)
119 Young and Beautiful (Mia Pfirrman)
124 Help Me (DaNica Shirey)
135 Two of a Kind Workin’ On a Full House (James David Carter)
139 Amnesia (Bryana Salaz)
144 Lay Me Down (Ricky Manning)
169 Don’t (Chris Jamison)
170  Chandelier (Jean Kelley)
193 I Lived (Ryan Sill)

• Love 1

Here's what I saw on the iTunes top 200 chart at 9:30 Eastern:

31 God Only Knows (Matt McAndrew)

48 I’m Not the Only One (Damien)

59 Try (Reagan James)

63  Holding Out For a Hero (Jessie Pitts)

68 Some Kind of Wonderful (Craig Wayne Boyd)

70 All About That Bass (Anita Antoinette)

73 Stuck in the Middle With You (Taylor John Williams)

76 Let’s Get It On (Luke Wade)

92 Cool Kids (Taylor Phelan)

98 I Say a Little Prayer (Sugar Joans)

113 Latch (Elyjuh Rene)

116 Mad World (Taylor John Williams)

119 Young and Beautiful (Mia Pfirrman)

124 Help Me (DaNica Shirey)

135 Two of a Kind Workin’ On a Full House (James David Carter)

139 Amnesia (Bryana Salaz)

144 Lay Me Down (Ricky Manning)

169 Don’t (Chris Jamison)

170  Chandelier (Jean Kelley)

193 I Lived (Ryan Sill)

How in the hell is Sophia (Now that I know her name I don't have to call her by that ridiculous one) that high?  I mean she was terrible.  I know Bryana wasn't exactly inspired but she was a lot better IMHO.  Hell Ricky was way better than her.

Huh, Elijuhwhatever is up there too.  I took this boards advice and didn't watch the TeeVee while he performed, and man it did make a huge difference in my opinion of his voice.  The thing is though we are past the turning of the chair so they need to be able to be not nails-on-a-chalkboard annoying now.  I almost felt a little bad when he said he was reading stuff about himself, but then Pharrell didn't even coach him on "yeah bro, turn it down a notch".  WTF.

I wish we had more Jean like comentary on the show.  It was honest.  I know they all praised her performance last week, but this week was so over the top and over dramatic that you could barely make out a meldoy while she was singing the verses.  She deserved that critique, and the others deserved to here a bit more honesty too.  How do they expect people to get better if they just sugar coat everything?

• Love 1

Doesn't look like Jean charted either.  Chandelier is her knockout song.  

I wish we had more Jean like comentary on the show.  It was honest.  I know they all praised her performance last week, but this week was so over the top and over dramatic that you could barely make out a meldoy while she was singing the verses.  She deserved that critique, and the others deserved to here a bit more honesty too.  How do they expect people to get better if they just sugar coat everything?

Yes, I agree.  I hope producers take note.  The Voice is a "nice" show but it's more entertaining when there's actual constructive criticism. Adam and Blake have already shown in past seasons they're capable of doing that in a diplomatic way.  I bet Gwen and Pharrell could do the same.  

Elijuh was doing his over-mugging stuff during the slow bits of the song, but the second it kicked up a notch the mugging stopped. Then, he was actually not embarrassing to watch. Pharrell should give him more upbeat songs so he can dance instead of mug.

As much as I am finding Gwen completely worthless on the panel this season, she has consistently given her contestants good songs to sing and seems invested. I can actually watch her coaching sessions without rolling my eyes now since I don't have to listen to her talking about her "talented" husband. That helps as well.

If Gwen comes back, she needs to be on a panel with a coach with more personality like Shakira or Christina. She's just not interesting enough on her own and combined with Pharrell and Blake's not being fully engaged, the panel has been a snooze.

Pharrell, Pharrell. I had such high hopes for you, but what a crock of crap those song choices were. I love me some oldies, but not those that have already been done to death. So much great music to choose from, so little imagination.

[Let's get it on] is all about sexiness, intensity, pleading, and he missed it all. For the best singing competition show version of this song, see Pentatonix just kill it

Luke has a good voice, but that was NOT remotely seductive, even if you just listen and don't watch. (I agree just listening really makes Elyjuh tons better though.) I don't care for the Pentatonix version either (too wedding band). Cole Vosbury, however.....

It doesn't hurt that I like the arrangement and he's a kick-ass guitarist (one of the few Voice contestants not using an instrument as a prop). Not that he really shows off his skills here, but knowing is enough to make it more seductive. (Check out his covers of 'I don't need no doctor', 'Voodoo Chile' or 'Dirty Diana' to see what he can do. Helluva talented family.)

I've already forgotten everyone else and I only watched the performances on Youtube less than twelve hours ago. How sad it is when the best thing I can say about S7 is that I'll probably have watched the whole season in under four hours given my current average of 10 mins per show. I've totally lost patience with uninspired song choices and mediocre performances. I spend more time reading the snark on here than watching the show!

ETA: I think this Marvin Gaye performance is even better than the one Ketzel posted. Not because of the partial strip tease :),but because it seems more effortless.

Edited by Minim
One Forum poster said yesterday that Taylor P. was a Joel McHale's younger doppel-ganger. Yes, and I think Ricky Manning is Joaquin Phoenix's younger doppel-ganger! Does anyone else see that?

I think Adam said that a few weeks back.

He is a good looking young man.

• Love 1

Yes, I thought she was overly dramatic in Chandelier.  It came off as too theatrical and not authentic in emotion.  But she received such high praise for it and it got really good reviews here.  I thought it was just me.

• Love 1

One Forum poster said yesterday that Taylor P. was a Joel McHale's younger doppel-ganger. Yes, and I think Ricky Manning is Joaquin Phoenix's younger doppel-ganger! Does anyone else see that?

Not to toot my own horn, but that was me. And yes, Ricky Manning does look like Joaquin Phoenix.

• Love 1