Type keyword(s) to search

Current Plots Discussion: Actually Today's Episode

Message added by scarynikki12

Spoilers are not allowed in this thread. Period. Any posts that include spoilers (and casting information qualifies) will be removed. There are several other threads that allow spoilers so take that discussion to one of them.

• Start Topic

I'm still chuckling about the conversation between Anne, Teresa and Marlena.  Marlena: "blah blah something"  Anne: "We'll just see about that!"  Teresa:  "I can speak for myself!  We'll...just see about that!"

That gave me the biggest laugh of the episode.  Anne and Theresa's timing is so good.

Um, I haven't seen today's yet.  Are you telling me JJ has Spank the Monkey sex?  I'm still traumatized by that movie.  Completely frustrate the young man then a mother steps in?

• Love 3

Loved, loved, loved Nicole's reaction when she found out Daniel and Kristen were in bed together.

Casey and Kassie's acting was the best part of today's show.

Theresa: "You're a sucky friend."

Anne: "And all you got."  Anne Milbauer, bringing it.

• Love 8

*small voice* I actually enjoyed the JJ/Eve scenes. I think it's the most actual characterization we've seen for either character, and especially Eve, in a long time. And, honestly, I think CM has more chemistry with KDP than he does with TO.

Does this make me a bad person? Probably, but I don't care. I would actually love a well-constructed (haha, yeah I know) storyline for JJ and Eve a la Joey and Dorian on OLTL back in the day. Imo there's more actual story potential there than in continuing to try to make JJ/Paige happen, as evidenced by the last however many months of their boring, contrived relationship . I realize the show is actually going to try to keep JJ/Paige happening, but where there's life there's hope.

Eve and JJ having a sexual relationship wouldn't be all that bad if the writing were better. Since it's not, we're going to have to deal with months of Lima Bean having a meltdown along with the Hortons getting in Eve's face everyday telling her what a Super Duper Evil person she is.

• Love 3

Grimace is Jordan - she's called that because of her constipated expression. Appalachian Meth Man must be Clyde - the hillbilly drug dealer. The problem with nicknames is when someone new comes onto the boards, they don't know who we are talking about. I remember wandering onto a TWoP board once and reading some posts and not knowing what the hell was going on. Same with smashup names for couples. It can get confusing.

And purplelady beat me to it!

Edited by sunnyheart
  • Love 2

I felt sorry for KdP and CM, watching the Eve/JJ scenes today. I felt like neither had any real idea how to make their coming together for sex make sense, though CM seemed more at a loss than the veteran. I love me some inappropriate sex, but that was just bad - completely inorganic and plot-driven. I didn't believe it for a minute. Worse yet, this guarantees Eve being stuck in the kiddie pool for months to come.

• Love 4

And here's to you, Mrs. Donovan,
JJ loves you more than you will know.
God bless you, please Mrs. Donovan.
Heaven holds a place for those who pray,
Hey, hey, hey
Hey, hey, hey

My apologies to The Graduate.....

Today' show was preempted here, so I'm hoping our affiliate airs it in the wee hours.  It sounds like an episode that's either great or gross, so can't miss, yes?

I think you should see it, most definitely.  JJ slipping and falling, his tongue making a direct hit down Eve's throat while she desperately fumbles his clothing - trying to guess his weight, I suspect, and then, through NO FAULT OF THEIR OWN, managing to hit the sheets and do the deed without Eve removing her bra - a Salem standard - and with JJ never drawing a full breath.  It reminded me of Bullwinkle trying to pull a rabbit out of that hat, saying "Nothing up my sleeve...Presto!" There wasn't much sexaaaay in any of it.  It looked more like a mutual mugging.

Meanwhile, in the town Square, Lima Bean had her Sad and MEAN face on, pouting it up big time because JJ had the NERVE to hold a plastic cup a foot or two away from ANOTHER GIRL or two.  I mean, the NERVE OF THE GUY, right??  She had everything but cartoon fumes coming out of her ears.  And while she's got major frowny face going on, up hops the biggest, cuddliest ol' bunny wabbit you evah did see!!  His name was Rory Rabbit, and he magically appeared to make Paige's frown turn upside down!   And here we really went down the rabbit hole, because all of a sudden Rory started talking absolute, total, unemotional ADULT common sense to Paige, in a normal tone of voice.  Now that rarely happens in Happy Land to begin with, and having Rory be the voice of reason was "Alice in Wonderland" time.  But he did, and Lima Bean magically grew a pair of ears, gained a brain and realized that she was being a major dick ( instead of just pouting it up because she couldn't get her hands on JJ's.....little realizing that JJ was currently having some special bonding time with Mommy).  Which leads me off on another tangent.....you all think Eve and JJ did some bondage?  Oh forget it.  Back to the story.

So Lima Bean hopped on home and shocked the crap out of Mommy and JJ who were in the midst of "What the hell happened" and "Where are my socks"? time.  Luckily, Eve headed Paige off at the pass while JJ lurked in Eve's bedroom wetting his pants.

And speaking of wetting his pants, over at the Kiriakis Home for the Feeble-Minded, Brady invited Daniel over so he could give him a taste of this special punch he just came up with.  It was a good punch, sent Dirty Dan right to the floor.  Of course he got up and slowly rubbed his face like he really loved touching himself, while Brady celebrated yet one more of his famous Pity Parties - you know, the ones where NOBODY TELLS ME THE TRUTH is playing in the background the whole time.  Nicole showed up, was properly horrified at the thought of Dan and Kirsten, and appropriately realized that Brady is dumb as a doorknob so she wasted no time talking sense to him and just left.  And then proceeded to laugh at and berate Daniel for his terrible taste.  

Good times, my friends, good times.

We also had some classic Anne Milbauer moments, telling Theresa some truths she needs to hear, while Theresa seemed to put all of her eggs in one ovary - I mean, basket, with the peanut she's carrying promising to bring her that big lug Brady.  As if that's a prize.

Oh!  Almost forgot!  Ollie hit Chad - again.  And Chad put one over on Ollie - again.  And Chad fooled Jar Jar - again.  It's like shooting morons in a barrel with those two.  

A good day in Salem!!

Edited by boes
  • Love 10

I forgot about Ben.  God.  Why Chad didn't fire him and have him charged with assault right there on the spot is beyond me. 

Because he's trying to hook up with Jordan and wants to look like a "good guy" to her?

• Love 2

So I kind of enjoyed JJ & Eve too as wrong as it was (and awkward at times) & weirdly enough I wasn't as grossed out by it as I thought I would be.

I did love Rory being the voice of reason & loved him pointing out that Paige should never listen to Bev

I do hope Chad fires Bollie - I just loved Chad pulling one over on both Bollie & Abifail (who looked really confused in all her scenes)

I did also enjoy Brady yelling at Dr. Tan & Nicole's face when she found out Dr. Tan & Kristen hooked up - I do wish they'd just hook up Nicole & Brady & be done with it - Brady has the best chemistry with her & they have a long history to play on.

I'd actually rather Theresa hook up with Chad - that could be an interesting combination

• Love 4

The problem with nicknames is when someone new comes onto the boards, they don't know who we are talking about. I remember wandering onto a TWoP board once and reading some posts and not knowing what the hell was going on. Same with smashup names for couples. It can get confusing.

I've already posted that I am newly back to DOOL and am watching semi-regularly, and still don't know all the actual character names or how they are connected to other characters, so the nicknames do tend to confuse me. (i.e. I thought Grimace was Hope) And of course it's harder still when you missed the episode, and don't even know which characters were on screen that day.   So to be honest, when I see a reply with mostly nicknames, I skip over it.

About yesterday's ep, has JJ shown that kind of interest in Eve before?  Is that why he wouldn't sleep with Paige? Or am I trying to find logic where there is none.

• Love 5

I did also enjoy Brady yelling at Dr. Tan & Nicole's face when she found out Dr. Tan & Kristen hooked up - I do wish they'd just hook up Nicole & Brady & be done with it - Brady has the best chemistry with her & they have a long history to play on.

I'd actually rather Theresa hook up with Chad - that could be an interesting combination

I've always liked Brady and Nicole, but I only want them together again if he loses some of the dumb.

Theresa and Chad would be AWESOME...Two bad seeds/misunderstood souls pairing up, what they could have done with EJ and Sami, .just no rapey-times.

JJ and Eve makes the Nick and Billie hookup look like the most natural thing in the world. 

• Love 3

BOllie looks like a cartoon character, he's tooooooo metro. Everything is too shaved and plucked.

ITA!  I looked at him hard yesterday and I finally put my finger on it...it looks like his entire face has been botoxed, there's absolutely no facial movement...and then there's that accent (which apparently I cannot overlook lol).

• Love 2

I've already posted that I am newly back to DOOL and am watching semi-regularly, and still don't know all the actual character names or how they are connected to other characters, so the nicknames do tend to confuse me. (i.e. I thought Grimace was Hope) And of course it's harder still when you missed the episode, and don't even know which characters were on screen that day.   So to be honest, when I see a reply with mostly nicknames, I skip over it.

About yesterday's ep, has JJ shown that kind of interest in Eve before?  Is that why he wouldn't sleep with Paige? Or am I trying to find logic where there is none.

My friend, do not look for logic anywhere on Days. It is an exercise in futility. Just sit back and enjoy the crazy.

• Love 5

There have been a couple of hints along the way. The most recent was that Eve tripped, fell, and hurt her wrist when JJ came over looking for Paige. JJ got her some ice and rubbed her wrist, and they had a moment, sort of both of them looking awkward in a wow-I-really-like-this way. Then for the next couple episodes JJ flashed back to it a few times, so you could tell it was on his mind.

The reason he wouldn't sleep with Paige was mostly because of his guilt over not telling her about Jack and Kayla. Paige always seemed to approach sex with all this talk about how JJ was perfect and how honest he is with her, etc etc, that would remind him he was keeping things from her and trigger the guilt. But this Eve thing was definitely in the mix at the same time.

I think there may have been a singing incident also a little while ago too, where people started wondering if they had chemistry and what the plan was, but I didn't see that episode and so I am not sure.

• Love 3

Grimace is Jordan - she's called that because of her constipated expression.

That was the best laugh I've had in days.  

I remember the first time I checked out the DAYS thread at TWOP and not knowing WTF was going on with all of the nicknames.  I'll have to check in here more often just to see who you're all talking about.  Probably more fun than the show is most days.  

• Love 3

Normally I dislike Brady's thuggish Hulk smash ways with both women and men, but when it brings me things like this:

23h9c2h.jpg

I'll allow it! If any scene deserved to be flashbacked to several times per episode, it is this one. Wish it had been shot at several different angles so the beauty of Dan getting his clock cleaned could be seen at every vantage point. Now whenever I feel a little bit exasperated and disgusted with the Dan worship on this show, I will just pull out this gif and smile.

Eric M was great in his scenes today as Brady. "Get thee behind me Satan" is one of my favorite sayings. LOL!

NIcole's latest hair cut is pretty terrible. I think her and Chad might have the same barber. She was working that dress though. She has probably the best figure.

That Theresa, Nicole, Anne scene was completely unrealistic to me because no one in the world would pick up their purse and fling their jacket over their shoulder and then proceed to leave their phone, which has become such a personal and sensitive item, behind right on the table. Conveniently, Nicole's phone isn't password protected. 

Rory had the Salem brain this episode. Funny that it takes the town jester/moron to break down to Miss Stanford.

JJ and Eve - funny because isn't KDP on record as denying and expressing disgust over this as a possible storyline when she 1st joined the show? I don't love it mainly because it hasn't been set up properly and won't be done well. I hate that this mirrors the Dan/Kristen impulse, near grief sex that happened just weeks ago. That being said I don't see another way this could have been done. Eve purposefully seducing her daughter's BF would have been beyond gross.

My main fear is that Eve will scream rape. If they go there I will turn off Days. 

Fall out is gonna be a mess. The Horton women's slapping hands are gonna get quite the workout on Eve's face. Their palms probably started itching as soon as JJ and Eve hit the sheets.

That sex scene wasn't hot. Felt like I was watching a Nova special about the mating ritual of the sea anemone but than again I can't think of the last time I watched a Days sex scene and thought it was smoking so par for the course I guess. 

Edited by islandgal140
  • Love 8

I'm sorry but I really didn't like the sex with Eve and JJ. 

You are all gonna think I'm a prude and shouldn't watch soaps if I can't take the heat.  But JJ is just about 18. He just graduated high school. Eve is mid 40s to mid 50s? Not to mention the girlfriend's mother/daughter's boyfriend.  

I realize it's technically consenting but I still don't like it. Maybe because I have teen sons. 

And the KdP is a better actress than this...she is reduced to having a romp with a teenage boy? Seriously? 

There have to be better plots than this. I think it shows a lack of creative writing and story telling. 

Or they ripped off the plot from the Real Housewives of NJ.  With Rino having sex with the twins mother! 

Edited by Marigold
  • Love 6

That was the best laugh I've had in days.  

I remember the first time I checked out the DAYS thread at TWOP and not knowing WTF was going on with all of the nicknames.  I'll have to check in here more often just to see who you're all talking about.  Probably more fun than the show is most days.  

You should!  One of the reasons I still watch Days is so I can participate here. It really is the best part. We have some very funny people here!

Normally I dislike Brady's thuggish Hulk smash ways with both women and men, but when it brings me things like this:

23h9c2h.jpg

I'll allow it! If any scene deserved to be flashbacked to several times per episode, it is this one. Wish it had been shot at several different angles so the beauty of Dan getting his clock cleaned could be seen at every vantage point. Now whenever I feel a little bit exasperated and disgusted with the Dan worship on this show, I will just pull out this gif and smile.

I agree.  I need more flashbacks like this one and the one where Theresa bashes John over the head with the fireplace poker. I'm living for the day when we can watch someone push Jennifer under a bus. Or Abigail. Either one of them, I'm easy.

• Love 2

You should!  One of the reasons I still watch Days is so I can participate here. It really is the best part. We have some very funny people here!

I agree.  I need more flashbacks like this one and the one where Theresa bashes John over the head with the fireplace poker. I'm living for the day when we can watch someone push Jennifer under a bus. Or Abigail. Either one of them, I'm easy.

When they show Nicole running up afterwards I was reminded of when of my fave scenes from the movie Friday. After some dude gets knocked out by Deeboo, Chris Tucker's character runs up, bends over him and screams: 

pNw6mNH.gif

I'm having way too much fun with this. LOL!

Edited by islandgal140
  • Love 3

The whole This-is-so-NOT-fucking-possible nature of the current Kristen/Theresa story has me thinking of the Sally Field/Kevin Kline classic, Soapdish. Tell me you can't hear Whoopi Goldberg screaming at Robert Downey Jr., "You know what that mean, it means he doesn't have a head. How am I suppose to write for a guy who doesn't have a head? He's got no lips, no vocal chords. What do you want me to do?"

On the other hand, I absolutely loved the interaction between Brady and Maggie.

• Love 4

You are all gonna think I'm a prude and shouldn't watch soaps if I can't take the heat.  But JJ is just about 18. He just graduated high school. Eve is mid 40s to mid 50s? Not to mention the girlfriend's mother/daughter's boyfriend.  

I realize it's technically consenting but I still don't like it. Maybe because I have teen sons. 

There have to be better plots than this. I think it shows a lack of creative writing and story telling. 

I don't think you're a prude. I'm a very liberal person but JJ and Eve are just ewww! I don't get Days' recent obsession with cougar storylines (JJ/Eve, Brady/Kristin, Rafe/Kate).  I quit watching but came back here for the comments after hearing about JJ and Eve. 

And you are spot on about the lack of creative writing. It's all for shock value now because the show can't retain their popular couples (actor/actresses). Apparently Corday thinks there is some value in mismatched couples that jump in bed out of the blue, but it just points to lazy storytelling to me. 

Plus, as a viewer back when CR originated the role of Eve, I must say that they have ruined the character with this recast. Eve might have been a teen prostitute but she wasn't some skank so I really can't picture the Eve we once knew doing JJ. Eve might have been sneaky and a schemer but she did not seem like the type (again going by CR's portrayal) to take advantage of her daughter's barely legal boyfriend, a guy she supposedly dislikes so much that she hires someone to set him up to keep them apart. 

Edited by Peanut6711
  • Love 5

I don't think you're a prude either. I agree that the whole thing is weird and inappropriate and completely out-of-character for both. AND I have this awful feeling that the "Jack was a rapist" thing is somehow going to play into this and JJ will be blamed for raping Eve and I am absolutely NOT okay with that.

• Love 6

BOllie please, "It's not gonna work." Look like it is working because you're always showing your frat boy caveman behavior. Are we sure BOllie isn't Nick Newman's child on Y&R? Their behavior is on point. So might have to look into that. Bollie has major attitude problem but he might have gotten a thumbs up from me if he had hurled that plastic flower at the back of AbiFail's head Dumb and Dumber style.

104605-lauren-holly-gif-snowball-dumb-7z

AbiFail you are a sucker, so have the word "sucker" printed on your forehead, have "insert here" written above your mouth, and "free vacancy" written on hour hooha. 

Maggie needs to do something with that Peg Bundy hairstyle she's sporting. So damn 80s. That's Maggie's nickname "Peg Bundy".

I'm really hoping that there's a medical issue that comes up and Kristen dies from it. Get an infection, get stabbed, I don't care as long as it happens. Character can't get off screen fast enough and sick to death of her.

Grimace back to grimacing, what else is new. SMDH. She's another that needs to leave ASAP and take BOllie with her.

Don't care for JJ and Eve's story. Just lame and disgusting.

Edited by ShadowSixx
  • Love 3

I don't think you're a prude either. I agree that the whole thing is weird and inappropriate and completely out-of-character for both. AND I have this awful feeling that the "Jack was a rapist" thing is somehow going to play into this and JJ will be blamed for raping Eve and I am absolutely NOT okay with that.

I'm right there with you. I was actually completely on board with a JJ/Eve relationship a few months ago when they teased it. I actually think it would be good, and very soapy, and create a lot of fallout all over the canvas; and I do think CM and KDP actually have good chemistry with one another. But (and it's a huge one considering DAYS' writing staff), it would have to be done well and not as a stunt. That, they are incapable of doing apparently. So we get another cheap plot point out of left field to try to inject angst into a relationship that they really need to retool or drop anyway because none of their attempted angst so far has worked.

I don't really care that they had sex. I think KDP's scenes the last few episodes were really good; and it's the most they've given her to work with since she started at DAYS; and I have zero investment in JJ/Paige, so I can't feel bad about it. What does really, really worry me is the possibility of a fake rape accusation. I have a really bad feeling, considering the bucket loads of anvils about Jack and whether JJ inherited his "rapist gene", that it's exactly what we are going to get. That is probably the misogynistic trope I hate the most; and it is the one thing that would likely make me turn the show off.

• Love 5

I don't mind the embryo napping as a story. It's the kind of classic crazy-ass, evil Dimera stuff that they used to do. It's disgusting, but I sort of miss the over the top things..

Edited by shesajar
  • Love 1

The fear of a false rape accusation being thrown around is the one thing that really has me dreading this whole storyline. All I wanted was to enjoy some good soapy ridiculousness even with an older woman and a barely legal young man because why the hell not? Why can't I have fun, ridiculous things since I know I can't have nice things?

Why must I always expect awful things with this writing team?

• Love 6

I know vile is part of the soap opera game but right now, I find pretty everything icky and vile.  

I don't mind (even as I don't care for them) one or two vile stories at a time but the whole show is mostly creepy stuff right now - for me, anyway.  Sleeping with your daughter's boyfriend? bleah - not fun soap stuff to me especially since the character is so distasteful all the time.

A father who is threatening his own daughter and telling her she caused her own mother's death? Yeah, icky too.  A father who kept his son (dim as he is) believing he almost killed him? Ick  

Stealing an embryo/fetus (whatever it is) and on and on and on.  

It's a motherlode of ick so I'll drop out for awhile until some of this stuff gets resolved and then dip back in at some point.  

• Love 7

Oh I wouldn't worry about JJ getting blamed. He has mommy dearest who thinks her children do no wrong. If Abby can throw herself at an engaged EJ Dimera and it's all his fault and she comes out smelling like roses then I can only imagine how much Jenn will spin this as all Eve's (her high school nemesis who really wasn't) fault even if JJ was a willing participant. Apparently the Horton's ho-ho's and ding-ding's don't stink in Salem no matter how much they get used. ;-) 

• Love 1

I know vile is part of the soap opera game but right now, I find pretty everything icky and vile.

This has been something of a discussion at the General Hospital board as well. It's been an ongoing problem for years now... there's no real balance to the shows anymore. And while I get that writing full on heroes is HARD to do without coming across as preachy or cloying the fact is that soap writers these days are flat out AWFUL at writing heroes... and heroes are needed.

They're needed just as villains and anti-heroes are but they're NEEDED and when you don't have good heroes the rest of it falls apart. Just as you need good villains because heroes are only as good as the villains they battle but, come on, a triumph has to happen. Who triumphed in this mess with Kristen, Brady and Eric? It seems that Kristen did... sure she ran out of town but Brady and Eric's relationship was in shambles and only her return allowed that to be fixed... for five minutes until Eric gave up his justice in order to save John which should have been a different kind of triumph except that Kristen was the one who supplied John's miracle cure so that's lame... then Theresa and John kept lying to Brady so he could find out and RUN back to Kristen... only to see her rolling around with Daniel... seriously what is the point of this story? What is the point of it?

What is the goal? What are the goals in any of this? Who the fuck am I supposed to be rooting for?

It makes me damn angry. I go home and I put on Star Wars or Lord of the Rings or the various Marvel movies because the storytelling is so much more clear there! I've got Obi-Wan or Leia or Luke or Frodo or Aragorn or Steve Rogers to be my heroes. I've got Darth Vader or Emperor Palpatine or Sauron or Saruman or the Red Skull or Loki to be my villains. I've got Han Solo or Lando or Boromir or Natasha Romanoff or Tony Stark to be my anti-heroes. I understand who I'm supposed to be rooting for and there's no waffling or hesitation about it all. Sure, movies are different from serials but I've also got comic books if I want serial storytelling that has a point. Which isn't to say that comics are brilliantly written because they have more in common with soaps than most might think but it's also pretty clear the point of things...

I just don't get this stuff... WHY should I be rooting for JJ/Paige? WHY should I be rooting for Jennifer or Abigail or Daniel? I mean the show clearly WANTS me to but they give me no incentive to actually DO it. And these writers are amazing at taking potential and not just wasting it but shitting all over it to where you want nothing to do with it. Seriously, what am I supposed to be rooting for with this Brady, Theresa, Kristen clusterfuck? I have no idea! I want Theresa to be okay but, at this point, I definitely DON'T want her to 'win' Brady... and I definitely don't want Kristen to win anything. I don't think I want Brady to do anything but maybe take a nap so he doesn't have to try to think so damn hard. It's giving me a headache.

Can Eve please interact with some grown ups already? They already sucked all of the soapy ridiculous fun that might have been Eve bedding Jennifer's son so just... ugh... give her someone else to do (not Daniel; not Daniel; not Daniel) and something else to do that isn't about her joyless daughter for a change.

I am honestly fearful of saying anything about Hope/Aiden because I like them but it's obvious that OBSTACLES have arrived and it's going to get awful fast.

Dear Writers:

DO BETTER!

Sincerely, 

The World

Edited by Dandesun
  • Love 19

It's been mentioned quite a bit that Kristen is cuckoo for cocoa puffs, and these two videos are of Kristen doing identical things, fifteen years apart, demonstrate just how nuts she has become over time.

This first clip is of Kristen kidnapping Sister Moira Banks in the mid-1990's. Notice how calculating and seemingly cool she appears in 1:38 when she tells Moira that the room is soundproof.

Fast forward to 2014, where she is kidnapping Daniel in this clip. Notice that she sounds like she is in need of medication at 1:55 all these years later when she tells Daniel that the room is soundproof.

Thoughts?

• Love 2

Kristen Dimera is such a disgusting character.  And that black skirt she's been wearing is really unflattering.  If she wanted Brady's baby so badly, then why didn't she undergo invitro fertilization or hire a surrogate years ago?  It's not like she didn't have the money to buy an egg (if that was the problem) or hire the best specialists, or that she couldn't get a sperm sample from blockhead Brady.  So instead she has to sexually violate another human being again?  Gross.  And yes, now we'll have to endure months of Theresa begging Brady to believe her and forgive her.  Gross again.

I don't think the Eve and JJ scenes were supposed to be sexy; I think they were meant to be awkward and weird and wrong.  How either character is supposed to recover from this is up in the air, but I'm desperately hoping they won't have Eve accuse JJ of rape.  I like both characters and think KdP and Casey Moss are doing a great job despite the huge age disparity.  KdP's current hairstyle (which I've hated as long as she's had it) ages her, IMO.  Even so, in real life she's 53 and he's 21.  Show ages are probably more like 45/46 and 18, which is less of a gap but more ewww because of JJ still being in his teens.  I'm younger than KdP and can't imagine sexing it up with someone that young, or even a man in his 20s.  Not that I ever would since dear ol' hubby would likely have a problem with it.  Still. 

Rory was delightful yesterday.  He's one of the most normal, truthful people on the show.  During the closeups between him and Paige, it struck me how very small her nose is, especially in relation to the rest of her face. 

I loved Nicole/Brady and Nicole/Dan yesterday and today.  AZ's hair is still not great but it's looking better than it was before, during, and immediately after the Rome trip.  She's a stunning woman.

• Love 6

This has been something of a discussion at the General Hospital board as well. It's been an ongoing problem for years now... there's no real balance to the shows anymore. And while I get that writing full on heroes is HARD to do without coming across as preachy or cloying the fact is that soap writers these days are flat out AWFUL at writing heroes... and heroes are needed.

They're needed just as villains and anti-heroes are but they're NEEDED and when you don't have good heroes the rest of it falls apart. Just as you need good villains because heroes are only as good as the villains they battle but, come on, a triumph has to happen. Who triumphed in this mess with Kristen, Brady and Eric? It seems that Kristen did... sure she ran out of town but Brady and Eric's relationship was in shambles and only her return allowed that to be fixed... for five minutes until Eric gave up his justice in order to save John which should have been a different kind of triumph except that Kristen was the one who supplied John's miracle cure so that's lame... then Theresa and John kept lying to Brady so he could find out and RUN back to Kristen... only to see her rolling around with Daniel... seriously what is the point of this story? What is the point of it?

What is the goal? What are the goals in any of this? Who the fuck am I supposed to be rooting for?

It makes me damn angry. I go home and I put on Star Wars or Lord of the Rings or the various Marvel movies because the storytelling is so much more clear there! I've got Obi-Wan or Leia or Luke or Frodo or Aragorn or Steve Rogers to be my heroes. I've got Darth Vader or Emperor Palpatine or Sauron or Saruman or the Red Skull or Loki to be my villains. I've got Han Solo or Lando or Boromir or Natasha Romanoff or Tony Stark to be my anti-heroes. I understand who I'm supposed to be rooting for and there's no waffling or hesitation about it all. Sure, movies are different from serials but I've also got comic books if I want serial storytelling that has a point. Which isn't to say that comics are brilliantly written because they have more in common with soaps than most might think but it's also pretty clear the point of things...

I just don't get this stuff... WHY should I be rooting for JJ/Paige? WHY should I be rooting for Jennifer or Abigail or Daniel? I mean the show clearly WANTS me to but they give me no incentive to actually DO it. And these writers are amazing at taking potential and not just wasting it but shitting all over it to where you want nothing to do with it. Seriously, what am I supposed to be rooting for with this Brady, Theresa, Kristen clusterfuck? I have no idea! I want Theresa to be okay but, at this point, I definitely DON'T want her to 'win' Brady... and I definitely don't want Kristen to win anything. I don't think I want Brady to do anything but maybe take a nap so he doesn't have to try to think so damn hard. It's giving me a headache.

Can Eve please interact with some grown ups already? They already sucked all of the soapy ridiculous fun that might have been Eve bedding Jennifer's son so just... ugh... give her someone else to do (not Daniel; not Daniel; not Daniel) and something else to do that isn't about her joyless daughter for a change.

I am honestly fearful of saying anything about Hope/Aiden because I like them but it's obvious that OBSTACLES have arrived and it's going to get awful fast.

Dear Writers:

DO BETTER!

Sincerely, 

The World

I would like to kiss this post. I read an article not too long ago (I apologize for not crediting the author, but I can't remember where I saw it), where the author stated that she wouldn't be writing about soaps anymore because they're no longer fun. And she's right. They aren't fun; by and large the people are horrible, the storylines are worse, and the only bright spots is the good acting of a few. I remember when ABC's tagline was "Love in the Afternoon." Romantic storylines (often times written well and in character - I know, crazy right) were obviously always a staple, but there were also actual friendships and family relationships that didn't all dissolve into evil shenanigans and a complete loss of trust. We were supposed to want to invite these characters into our homes; I wouldn't want any of these characters within a one-mile radius of my home.

The only characters I like at this point are Eve and Clyde, and that's only because KDP and JR are excellent at what they do. I also like Rory because he's the only one that ever makes any sense. I think KDP was excellent the last couple of episodes; she did a phenomenal job of exposing Eve's desperation and vulnerability. But that was 100% her and 0% anything worthwhile from the writers.

And the overabundance of villains is a major problem. Some of my all-time favorite characters were villains - Cesar Faison on GH and Carlo Hesser on OLTL, for example. They acted the hell out of their characters; but the fact that they were entertaining to watch didn't mean that the audience was rooting for them in any way and it was always clear that they would lose. Maybe more importantly, the writers understood that you have to cycle those characters on and off canvas because they aren't viable long-term. When you keep villains on-screen long-term, you end up with characters like Victor Newman on Y&R, whom everybody hates because he always wins and gets what he wants.

Am I supposed to be rooting for Paige and JJ? Because I'm not; the writers haven't given me any reason to. And, actually, they've spent the last few weeks making me actively wish they'd break up forever. Am I supposed to think Eve is evil and JJ is a poor innocent? Because I don't; JJ's of age and I saw complete consent from all parties. And I can only imagine the whole thing is about to get a lot worse. I imagine this Theresa storyline is designed to make me feel sympathy for her. But I don't, because the writers haven't told me anything about who she is. I feel sad that this storyline is just one in a long line that treats women as nothing but f*** toys or incubators. I guess we're supposed to think Kristen is "evil" but super entertaining, and therefore it's fine she gets away with rape? 

• Love 6

I don't think the Eve and JJ scenes were supposed to be sexy; I think they were meant to be awkward and weird and wrong.  How either character is supposed to recover from this is up in the air, but I'm desperately hoping they won't have Eve accuse JJ of rape.  I like both characters and think KdP and Casey Moss are doing a great job despite the huge age disparity. 

I loved Nicole/Brady and Nicole/Dan yesterday and today.  

I agree about Eve and JJ - I don't think there was supposed be any sexy in those scenes at all.  And if that was the intent, TIIC succeeded.  Eve looked panicked and disgusted with herself and scared as hell that Paige would find out.  And ditto all that for JJ as well.  I'm not a fan of this sort of thing, even though I know it's a soap staple.  And I know it's silly to say in regard to a soap that "this doesn't happen", because lots of crap on the shows aren't realistic.  But this kind of sex - DOES. NOT. HAPPEN.  At least not without conscious intent, and we didn't see any of that, not really.  

Now that it has happened, though, and on a completely shallow and snide note, can I just point out the positive in all this?  When Polly Pureheart aka Jenn finds out, her bloomers are going to explode.  There's going to be outrage and tears and stomping and crying and mascara running in the gutters and garters snapping like firecrackers on the 4th of July.  She'll be steaming through town saying "MYSON" in that reptilian way she has, shooting death rays from her eyes and crying acid rain.

See, there IS a positive to the whole thing!

I would like to kiss this post. I read an article not too long ago (I apologize for not crediting the author, but I can't remember where I saw it), where the author stated that she wouldn't be writing about soaps anymore because they're no longer fun. And she's right. They aren't fun; by and large the people are horrible, the storylines are worse, and the only bright spots is the good acting of a few. I remember when ABC's tagline was "Love in the Afternoon." Romantic storylines (often times written well and in character - I know, crazy right) were obviously always a staple, but there were also actual friendships and family relationships that didn't all dissolve into evil shenanigans and a complete loss of trust. We were supposed to want to invite these characters into our homes; I wouldn't want any of these characters within a one-mile radius of my home.

Both of these posts are just excellent.  Excellent.  Like a lot of you, I've been watching soaps for a loooooooooooooong time, and if the genre had been like this when I started out, I just wouldn't have stuck with it.  I liked the villains, sure, but mostly the grey characters, the ones who had both good and bad in them, the ones who sometimes did boneheaded things, even terrible things, but usually came from a distorted place that wasn't devoid of good.  And while they might "win", they rarely won for long, and always faced consequences.  

We had the vain, selfish characters, too, with little good in them - usually women in those days.  And even those characters, especially the long term ones who became the mainstay of a show grew as characters beyond the complete selfishness of youth.

And we had characters who were simply good people, characters who stood up for what was right and were interesting enough to carry storylines, interesting enough to make them people we were invested in.  

Sometimes I watch old scenes of DOOL and AMC and OLTL on YouTube and SEE that all this actually DID happen, just like we remember it did.  And I'm watching Ryan's Hope in sequence now on YouTube and seeing all of this, enjoying some superb writing and characterizations, just as was true with all our shows at one time.  

It seemed to really start changing on ABC when Disney bought the network back around 2000.  AMC and GH were devoured by a favored few characters with no discernible moral code, while complex characters and characterizations were pushed to the side, and fantastical plots were favored over characters.  I think it was about that same time things changed for the worse with DOOL, too.  And Y&R.  (B&B always sucked IMO).

Yep, good writing is difficult but surely not impossible.  The standards of soap storylines changed and always for the worse.  IMO, DOOL is still the best of the bunch, as sorry a statement as that may be.  

And there's absolutely NO reason why it all shouldn't be better, if the showrunners had an interest in seeing it so.  There is talent out there, just as good as what we had when the genre was at its zenith.  But instead the same hacks are recycled from show to show to show.

• Love 7

Comparing those clips was interesting, jsm1125.  I wasn't watching Days back then so most of what I know of Kristen comes from her last return and this one.  She does seem more unhinged now than in that earlier clip, though no less vile. 

Was ED not as animated back then when she played Kristen?  Currently she does a lot of head waggling, body swaying, and smug lip pursing ... and sometimes it's very distracting.  Just wondering if maybe now that she's not having to play so many different characters, she's incorporated some of their mannerisms into this one character to really ramp up the crazy?  IDK.

ETA:

But instead the same hacks are recycled from show to show to show.

This has to be a big reason soaps have become so crappy.  Producers and head writers utterly destroy one soap and then get hired at another ... and it's gone on for years.  I don't get it at all.  It must be one big incestuous industry that isn't doing anything to cultivate new talent that might want to write about something other than rape, gangsters, back-from-dead ridiculousness, etc. 

Edited by Kitty Redstone
  • Love 1

I only know Kristin from this time around, but she can't be gone fast enough for me. I was never a fan of ED on Y&R and grew to hate her when she was horribly miscast as the last Kelly Capwell on SB. (really, Robin Wright=Eileen Davidson? I don't think so.) And after seeing her these past few months I hope she never shows up on my TV screen again.

Also to whoever posted about KdP's hair, I will come sit at your table. She's been wearing that feathered-back look for what seems like years now and I just hate it. I'm not sure what she should do though, shoulder length blunt cut? Does her hair have any natural curl or wave? She definitely needs a new 'do.

Edited by annabel
  • Love 4

Ok I just saw the Old Ben in a new Old Navy commercial and why does he look better now than he did on the show. If he showed up in Salem looking like that, we might be able to get somewhere with the character than this metro cartoon character we're forced to look at. It's like when they recast they take the character in a completely different direction. If Old Ben was still playing Ben, I don't think he would be so hot headed cause the actor isn't loaded with muscles. Sometimes for the most part a recast will always make miss the old actor, especially when it comes to the character of BOllie.

• Love 1

The old Ben was quite good looking.  I was sad he was recast with this new one, but then I wouldn't have wanted to watch him be paired with KM/Abigail, so it works out.  Metro cartoon character is a great descriptor for the current Ben.  So he has an accent?  Honestly, I thought he had a speech impediment and never said anything because I didn't want to sound like a total asshole.

Also to whoever posted about KdP's hair, I will come sit at your table. She's been wearing that feathered-back look for what seems like years now and I just hate it. I'm not sure what she should do though, shoulder length blunt cut? Does her hair have any natural curl or wave? She definitely needs a new 'do.

That was me!  Please, come sit.  She has been wearing this look for a couple of years now, which is a couple of years too long.  She normally has beautiful hair and has had some great styles over the years -- long and wavy, shoulder length and wavy, medium length and straight, a beautiful sleek bob .... this current 'do is almost as bad as the short, spiky thing she had for awhile years ago.  Not sure what her natural color is, but on OLTL her color ranged from medium brown to light blonde.

• Love 3