Type keyword(s) to search

Current Plots Discussion: Actually Today's Episode

Message added by scarynikki12

Spoilers are not allowed in this thread. Period. Any posts that include spoilers (and casting information qualifies) will be removed. There are several other threads that allow spoilers so take that discussion to one of them.

• Start Topic

annabel & Chippings:  I'm a recent returnee also.

I started watching just after the original Salem Strangler, when Carrie was little and Anna was still around.  So I got to see all the great couples and stories of the 80's and early 90's.  I stopped around the Marlena possession timeline and would only tune in on rare occasions.  So I missed a couple decades, as well.

Last July I started to watch again, and barely knew who anyone was.  If not for this forum, I probably would have quit again, but now I'm glad I stuck around because suddenly the show is fun to watch again.

• Love 2

It was lovely to see Steve again and as soon as he is in Kayla's orbit, she became about ten times more interesting and I want to know what they're both thinking--that's what happens when talented actors are allowed to do their thing :)

See what happens when Kayla is allowed to interact with someone other than that roach infested parasite terrorist piece of trash?

• Love 5

Exactly, it was really painful to see Kayla reduced to a prop for Abigail, it is really glaring when her big sister's daughter Theresa is in town and has yet to have any meaningful scenes with her..Tomsell used her to say that Theresa has been manipulative since the age of 5..I call bullshit on that one..Kayla has always been persistent to her detriment..It was her persistence that got Steve to admit his love for her...She would have been fighting tooth and nail to get through to Theresa..I hope the new writers fix this..The Brady family were always close..I hear that this year the show will be having holiday episodes, when was the last time that we had any of those...

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 2

Annabel, Rick, Buffy - I knew I could count on you guys !!  Daniel Cosgrove .. Bill Lewis - of course! 

As to how things looked to me after that long break -- very nostalgic.  It was fun to see how good the older actors look.  Hearing reference to Tom and Alice Horton - wow.  I think I was slowed down when Marlena and John Black (or was he really Roman Brady?)  seemed to be rekindling their romance - their previous marriages were mentioned, and I wondered how many re-marriages I have missed! 

Then there were the (to me) completely indistinguishable 20-somethings - who are all certainly children, nieces, or grandchildren of people I'd recognize - and I realized that I probably can't get sucked in to the new dramas. 

The dilemmas that stuck in my mind (e.g., Maggie was a farm girl, and crippled, when Mickey met and married her) .. are ancient history.  The characters have surely evolved since then (probably Maggie has been Mayor by now, or a State Senator?) - and I'd never catch up.  So I think I may tune past now & again to see how they look and hear a familiar name, but - too much water under the bridge.  Can't go back.

Thanks again for the quick update and ID of Daniel Cosgrove !

:-)

• Love 1

Chippings:  if you are ever going to tune in again, now is the time.  It's the show's 50th anniversary coming up in November and we are being promised lots of characters returning to Salem for the town's 200th anniversary. 

And Salem has a new serial killer!

And don't worry about catching up, the folks on this forum will patiently answer any and all your questions.  At least they did mine! :)

Maggie is married to Victor, btw.  Yes, Victor Kiriakis. That was hard to me to get my head around.

• Love 3

Stefano should've been killed a long time ago but if he's going to be reduced to propping Abifail and the worthless Chabby pairing then he really needs to be taken out back and shot. 

Uh, again? It didn't take the last time someone tried it.

• Love 1

Stefano is a perfect example of what is so wrong with soaps nowadays.  Adam Chandler on AMC, played by the awesome David Canary, was a great grey character.  Adam did a lot of bad things, but he also lost on occasion.  Adam had difficulties with his children, but he really loved them.  Stefano has become a pathetic cartoon.

I hope we get some great snark from Steve now that he is back in Salem.  One of Steve's best lines ever, "Is he dead?"  Bo, "No."  Steve, "Then you should know I didn't do it, I'm a better shot than that."

• Love 8

Stefano is classic days.  If people are going to mourn Belle and Shawn nonstop for countless years (sorry, FB Days, which is why I quit), Stefano is much more important and he will be missed.  I hope he gets the great sendoff he deserves.

If Phillip is coming back I'd love to see Vivian make an appearance big time.  I had to look up if Louise Sorel was alive on Wiki.  It says she appeared last in 2011? 

Gosh yes, I'm expecting great things from Steven and Kayla.  I don't look up interviews very often but they seem excited about their story. 

• Love 3

Chippings:  if you are ever going to tune in again, now is the time.  It's the show's 50th anniversary coming up in November and we are being promised lots of characters returning to Salem for the town's 200th anniversary. 

And Salem has a new serial killer!

And don't worry about catching up, the folks on this forum will patiently answer any and all your questions.  At least they did mine! :)

Maggie is married to Victor, btw.  Yes, Victor Kiriakis. That was hard to me to get my head around.

Especially since Victor put a hit out on her  daughter...

• Love 1

What is this I hear about Rafe being front and center.  Does that mean abifail will stalk him for sex.

That would be a new experience for her. She is used to chasing Dimera men or a man who is already in a relationship with someone else. Rafe is currently single. If he has any brains at all.....he would run!

• Love 2

Show has been getting better this past week or so, but Friday, now that was a show!  I liked it all - or at least I didn't utterly loathe any of it.  Abigail is still awful and always will be, but whoever was directing her tuned her down a bit.  That certainly helped.  I actually enjoyed her scenes with Ben and Clyde, when they were ready to hang Chad from the nearest tree and she balked at their crap.  It wasn't bad.  

But the scenes with Caroline, and Victor and even Maggie were superb.  Maggie's got a ways for me, considering what an obnoxious and judgemental harpie she's been, but on Friday's show, she was dialed back too.  And I'm a bit intrigued as to what it was she was thinking when Victor left.  I can't imagine Caroline being a threat to her marriage at this point.  

Best of all, though, for me, was Kayla.  Her conversation with mother, her worry and fury about Joey, and that LOOK she gave Patch.  That look alone would have made this a good episode for me.  What an absolute treat it will be to see good actors on screen instead of relegated to being supporting cast for a bunch of untalented newbies.

Billy Flynn just gets better and better IMO.  I wish he wasn't saddled with this Abigail storyline, but him being in it means I won't be ff'ding through it.  The guy is able to project emotion with a look, and he's got a subtlety that reminds me of older actors.  The guy is good.

Clyde, though, they might as well just hang on a sign around his neck that says BAD GUY.  The way he spoke to Marlena, the way he smirks at everyone is pretty baldfaced bad behavior.  He's not exactly playing from the sidelines and that's not too smart for somebody who thinks he is.

Adam Chandler on AMC, played by the awesome David Canary, was a great grey character.  Adam did a lot of bad things, but he also lost on occasion.  Adam had difficulties with his children, but he really loved them.  Stefano has become a pathetic cartoon.

This is off topic but I'll keep it short.  I was watching some YouTube clips, both Days and AMC, and I was once again struck by how good, how much more layered, the writing was for our shows back in the day.  I'm not saying there weren't some stinkeroo storylines, but even those were better than what we see now.  And there was also time for actual, day-to-day human feelings and interactions.  Days is still the best at that.  

What we've been seeing these past few days has me feeling we might just be going to see some of that subtlety on our screen again.

• Love 6

I have no problem admitting that I shouted yes! as Patch got off the elevator behind Joey.

The only thing that would make me happier is if they revealed that Patch had really been taking care of his hurt brother this whole time and, now that Jack was better, he was returning to Salem to prepare everyone for his return.

Could Aiden actually be ISA? Maybe the number he was texting is the number of his contact (like 007 is James Bond's number)? That way he could go on assignment or be killed in the line of duty? Doubtful but I love Daniel Cosgrove - was a huge GL Bill/Lizzie fan - and hate to see him leave.

• Love 7

I hope we get some great snark from Steve now that he is back in Salem.  One of Steve's best lines ever, "Is he dead?"  Bo, "No."  Steve, "Then you should know I didn't do it, I'm a better shot than that."

When did Steve say that line?

• Love 1

Friday was really a good show.  The last time I saw MBE and SN together was way back when on GH.  I'm excited to see Kayla and Steve together as a family, and actually to see Kayla as a fully formed character.  The entire time I've been watching Days she's been on the backburner. 

Clyde looked positively crazed when he was talking to Marlena.  His eyes were all big and bright when he was telling her he was cured and that he didn't care what she thought.  Dude makes my skin crawl.  Hopefully him and his poorly elocuting son will be gone soon.

Billy Flynn does indeed get better and better.

So I guess the person holding Bo is also the big bad boss of Aiden?  Whatever.  I'm still bitter over this.  Daniel Cosgrove adds a lot to the show and I love him and Hope together. 

The 100% less Daniel version of Days has been refreshing.  Now only if Abigail, Super Mommy, would go away, all would be (almost) right in Salem.

• Love 9

When did Steve say that line?

In 2007 when Bo was investigating who shot EJ at the church (it was Will, but Lucas took the blame).  Sami's a better shot than Will, Lucas, Marlena, Kate and Roman.  The only reason EJ didn't die when Sami shot him in the head is because Stefano is the devil.

Whatever the SL is going to be for Steve and Bo's return, I still think it would be better not making Aidan a bad guy.  Hope having moved on with a good man who is actual competition for Bo, and who Ciara is happy Hope is with would have added more layers to the SL.

• Love 5

Friday was really a good show.

It WAS! So soapy. Caroline is having prophetic dreams for christ's sake. Even Abby and her weird tan line top was semi-tolerable. Marlena sure attracts the crazies. 

The ISA must be desperate to want John back.

• Love 4

Billy Flynn was a real find. It's funny how some have "it". Rob Wilson is a good looking guy & a so-so actor but he doesn't have "it". You never know who is going to work or catch on. I find Kate Mansi more tolerable with Flynn than with Wilson which is good since Chad is the real father of Abby's baby, right? Just in one week the show feels so different & I'm really looking forward to what's gonna happen from now till November. I even thought Missy Reeves looked really pretty on Friday. Right now, Jenn doesn't have a love interest so I would like them to bring back Billy Warlock if TPTB refuse to bring back Matthew Ashford.

• Love 10

Well, they dropped the name Jeannie and that's mine.  Jeanne actually - not Jeannie - and I don't whine about how the show doesn't like her name anymore.  Vic loves Carolyn, that's what counts.

Yes I did scream & clap when Steve showed up on Friday - so happy he's back.

It's interesting that Caroline is having dreams of Bo being in trouble & I always enjoy seeing her with Victor.

Billy Flynn has really been awesome these last few days - they hit the jackpot when they cast him as Chad - I still wish they'd test him out with Theresa.

• Love 3

Abigail always comes across as a well-groomed bimbo to me, no matter who is writing for her. I can't take her seriously as a human being with actual feelings. It's like my day is not complete if I can't make fun of her.

Edited by bantering
  • Love 10

Well, Friday struck me as more than beyond obvious that they're setting up Chad/Abby as THE root for younger couple. *sigh* So be it. Hopefully, Billy Flynn can carry this. (I've been watching in a most sporadic manner so while it was fairly obvious that they were building up Chad/Abby before, Friday may as well had a parade down the street declaring it.)

I am here for Steve and Kayla. Look, I know they are a long lived super couple and I've seen stuff of them in those shows they used to do about the top couples and all that jazz. I've never actually seen them together in a story on the show. All that said, when he came off the elevator and Kayla was giving him The Eye and he called her 'Sweetness' -- it's a real pleasure to see two actors who have a long and storied history and you can see that history in just moments.

So, yeah, I'm doubling down on that. Bring it.

• Love 9

I am very happy that the vets are coming back, I wish that they had develop the next generation like the vets were, when they were their age..They could have given Wilson an adventure story that would have made them stronger and better..Instead we got a stupid infidelity story that did nothing, but hurt them in the long run...

I love Steve and Kayla...They still have it..I am afraid that Rafe will become the new Daniel..Speaking of that orange doctor, he has been marginalized by the new regime..I hope it sticks...Abigail strident defense of Chad is only going to push Ben over the edge..Ben is like a volcano waiting to explode..I think when he finds out that his dad tinkered with the paternity test, he will lose it...

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 2

I actually HATE "sweetness" and was never a fan of Patch and Kayla. I have unexpectedly liked Kayla whenever she has shown up in the past year or so, though I don't know how/why/when she became a doctor.

• Love 1

There's a dog at a local winery I frequent whose name is 'Cuteness' and I often slip and call her 'Sweetness' just because I know that nickname.

To be fair, she is a super sweet winery dog and also super cute with her lop-sided ears.

• Love 2

Abigail's smug did seem a little more toned down, but I could still see it peeking through when she said why Chad got kicked out of the Dimera mansion. Either a new set of directors is working with her or KM knows Abigail is really getting Chad in the end so she doesn't need to act all weird. Or maybe BF told her to cut down the smug. Or maybe the whole murder thing had to put a damper on the smugness...

Anyway, I guess I could see a bit of difference...not really in the writing itself because Abigail's dialogue was still snoopy, but her demeanor didn't seem quite as put-off that no one was answering her questions...I don't know if Ben would have gotten the benefit of the doubt....Abigail seemed so snooty with Ben when she kept asking him why he likes working in a bar...

Edited by bantering
  • Love 2

I am here for Steve and Kayla. Look, I know they are a long lived super couple and I've seen stuff of them in those shows they used to do about the top couples and all that jazz. I've never actually seen them together in a story on the show. All that said, when he came off the elevator and Kayla was giving him The Eye and he called her 'Sweetness' -- it's a real pleasure to see two actors who have a long and storied history and you can see that history in just moments.

I actually liked the scene between Steve and Hope; he just slides back into bantering with her like no time has passed, and Hope's not really having it. She's not angry at him specifically, but she's not going to pretend that last X number of years (however many years it is in elastic Salem-time) never happened. There's clearly a history -- and affection -- between these actors which is nice for them to play from. But I really hate the fact that both Bo and Patch have been retconned/dumbed down into such lousy clueless deadbeat dads. Yes, people change, but it seems out of character for these men who were both principled and devoted when they were younger.

I'm not entirely convinced that Billy Flynn can carry the entire Abby-Chad story by himself. I am perfectly certain that he shouldn't have to. He has more ability and charisma than anyone he's playing against in this story, including Mansi and Joe Mascolo both. Having to do the heavy lifting with Galen Gering is one thing (and sadly inevitable), but with Mansi and Wilson, too? Mascolo's not scary anymore, he's just a creepy over-invested parent, like the Bradys or the Hortons. Feh.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 5

Ben does know who his father is right? Is he stupid enough to think his father is all sunshine and rainbows? He's instead attacking Chad because of his "Dimera-ness." That his "Dimera" came out. Clyde a ton worse than any Dimera. 

Loved seeing Steve and all his scenes, interacting with Hope and Kayla. Surprised he doesn't know of Bo's ISA underground mission.

• Love 4

He should; that, too, just makes him look like he's not paying attention.

I've given up trying to fathom how Ben wants a relationship with the disgusting rapist who abused both him and his sister to the point that they fled in fear for their lives and adopted new identities.

I've also given up trying to understand how Sonny could ask someone to marry him who was neither out nor in an above-board relationship with him, nor giving any sign of ever being so, at the time. Of course, Sonny also simultaneously apparently did not want to pressure Will into returning any romantic feelings too soon after his coming out and decided to make Will fall in love with him, so maybe I'm the crazy person here?

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 3

I'm not entirely convinced that Billy Flynn can carry the entire Abby-Chad story by himself. I am perfectly certain that he shouldn't have to. He has more ability and charisma and ability than anyone he's playing against in this story, including Mansi and Joe Mascolo both. Having to do the heavy lifting with Galen Gering is one thing (and sadly inevitable), but with Mansi and Wilson, too? Mascolo's not scary anymore, he's just a creepy over-invested parent, like the Bradys or the Hortons. Feh.

I don't think he can, either, and am also sure he shouldn't have to.  It's sad that Stefano has been reduced to a cartoon.  Maybe the new writers will bring on a successor for him that is scary but still compelling (i.e., not another skeevy Clyde-type).

The writers' infatuation with Kate Mansi and the character of Abigail is truly baffling.  She's a horrible actress playing an entitled, unsympathetic, and boring character.  Billy Flynn definitely needs someone better.  If it's not going to be Theresa, I hope they bring on someone new.

• Love 4

I'm not entirely convinced that Billy Flynn can carry the entire Abby-Chad story by himself. I am perfectly certain that he shouldn't have to. He has more ability and charisma and ability than anyone he's playing against in this story, including Mansi and Joe Mascolo both. Having to do the heavy lifting with Galen Gering is one thing (and sadly inevitable), but with Mansi and Wilson, too? Mascolo's not scary anymore, he's just a creepy over-invested parent, like the Bradys or the Hortons. Feh.

I don't think Billy Flynn can carry the Chad/Abifail pairing either, but it's not because I think he doesn't have any talent. Kate Mansi is AWFUL and any pairing involving her will be AWFUL automatically. There's nothing BF or any other actor can do to make Abifail likeable and KM has proven several times now that she isn't capable of stepping up her game for even brief moments when in the presence of more skillful actors. 

• Love 6

Abigail's smug did seem a little more toned down, but I could still see it peeking through when she said why Chad got kicked out of the Dimera mansion. Either a new set of directors is working with her or KM knows Abigail is really getting Chad in the end so she doesn't need to act all weird. Or maybe BF told her to cut down the smug. Or maybe the whole murder thing had to put a damper on the smugness...

Anyway, I guess I could see a bit of difference...not really in the writing itself because Abigail's dialogue was still snoopy, but her demeanor didn't seem quite as put-off that no one was answering her questions...I don't know if Ben would have gotten the benefit of the doubt....Abigail seemed so snooty with Ben when she kept asking him why he likes working in a bar...

Maybe her boyfriend is no longer working on the writing staff and she actually has to use talent to keep her job.

Ben does know who his father is right? Is he stupid enough to think his father is all sunshine and rainbows? He's instead attacking Chad because of his "Dimera-ness." That his "Dimera" came out. Clyde a ton worse than any Dimera. 

Apparently Ben has no clue.  Well, about his father, anyway, as well as other things.

• Love 2

Hope and Aiden are so good together.  It's been great to see two 40-somethngs in a love story that is rootable and believable, and now it's.going to be ruined  Bo had other pairings.  Why can't Hope?

I'm already loving Kayla and Steve.  Is SN on contract or is he short-term like some of the other returning vets?

It's not necessarily that I want Abigail to suffer (KM couldn't play it anyway); it's just that I want her to go away.  The time that is spent on KM and her shitty character would be better spent on an interesting character played by a good actor.  It's actually pretty annoying.  There are so many talented actors out there in her age range who could do a much better job than she ever could.

• Love 2

"Don't give me tips on parenting."  Ooh! Quite the tension between Steve and Kayla. And great acting from both of them. I wonder why Steve went to Hope first and not to Jennifer? No mentions of Stephanie?

Steve calls Joey "Joe".  Poor Joey sounds very sad.

Kassie de Paiva and Michael Fairman were snarking about that huge ring Aiden has for Hope, and Kassie said, "Maybe it's one of Kristian Alfonso's real jewels."  Eek, shade!

You would think that Chad would be aware that all of the people at the bar would tell the cops that Serena had slapped him.

I like that the plaque in the center of Horton Town Square with Alice and Tom's pictures on it has wear on it, like people keep rubbing their hands on it.

• Love 5

Today's episode was spectacular.  It's been a long, long time since I've enjoyed an entire episode of any soap the way I did today's show.  

I could swear I never much liked Patch but I sure did enjoy him today.  Maybe it's because he was less sure of himself, less full of himself.  Or maybe it was because Kayla finally got the chance to be something more than a cheerleader for Abigail, or the apologist to the family of the man who raped her, or just a glorified day player.  But in any case, I loved them on their own, and I loved them together.  Joey, I'm not sure about how he'll hold up on his own, but he fit in fine in his scenes with Kayla.

Kayla in mom mode was good.  She came across realistically in her attitude to her son, and it was also easy to see how a young guy would be squirming a bit under all that attention.  Show didn't hit us over the head with the obvious, but instead let us see the subtle between mother and son, and between Kayla and Patch.  Isn't it refreshing how much seasoned actors can communicate with a look, a raised eyebrow, a pursed lip?  You could see and feel the hurt and distrust Kayla feels for Patch, and you could feel the uncertainty, the almost-sadness Patch feels around her.  All good, very good.

And Hope had exactly the right reaction to seeing Patch.  Maybe he thought he'd get an open-armed welcome, but instead he got a more appropriate reaction.  Sure, she was glad to see him, but she's also wary of him, and angry, both on Kayla's behalf, but also because of what has happened between Bo and her.  Again, all good.

If this was all Show had given us today, it would have been more than enough.  But it wasn't.

We also got see Rafe in his complete asshole mode, "interviewing" Chad.  It's just one small step for Rafe to go from a big blank to a smarmy shithead.  He's got an attitude with Chad that's pretty much based on how badly things turned out between Chad and Gabi.  Which was mostly all due to Gabi.  But Rafe is NEVER fair with anyone who said no to any of his precious family, so he tarrs Chad with the "Dimera" crap and treats him like that.  I don't like Rafe much, most of the time.  Show might want me to see him differently but I don't and that's mostly due to Galen Gering, I think.  The guy has two settings - Off and Annoying.

Aiden and Hope are just fine together, I think.  I know it's doomed and it pisses me off but I'm going to enjoy it while I can.  Alfonso hasn't had a scene partner as good as Cosgrove in ages.  That ring, though......it looked more like a doorknob to one of Liberace's bathrooms, IMO.  

So does Aiden have a gambling problem?  

Of course, we also had Our HEROINE, Abigail, and her trusty sidekick, Gumby aka Ben.  It felt so jarring when Show went from scenes with the pros like Patch and Kayla to those two.  Show, we're just not that in to Abigail and Ben - because they suck.

So Show wants us to think that pregnancy has Abigail craving sunshine, lollipops and rainbows, huh?  We all know that if Abigail does have cravings, she's far more likely to want to nosh on  baby brains, dead bats and the entrails of puppies and kittens.  Cuz that's what you feed whatever it is can gestate inside that horror.  

And leave it to Abigail to want to upstage Christmas!  Yep, everyone is going to have to put aside their own celebrations so they can bow down to the Amazing Abigail as she makes herself the center of attention at the holiday season.  

Abigail mentioned the Horton ball hanging tradition.....does Ben realize that she means that literally?  He better do a selfie of his nether regions, because he won't be seeing his balls again, unless he happens to be near the Horton tree.

Oh - Ben might just want to stop with his "Well, Chad is a DiMera" crap.  He doesn't have a clue what that even means, and besides, he's the spawn of Clem Kadiddlehopper and that's nothing to brag about.

Edited by boes
  • Love 12