Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Episode 5

Ellie was actually not incompetent this episode. Having the foresight to have the idea that the "psychic" would do things like go to the media with an exclusive and then get a book deal on solving the Gracepoint murder case? Well done, Ellie.

I enjoyed Carver's self-deprecating humor during dinner at the Miller's. 

I'm assuming the show is heavily implying that there was some previous romantic and/or sexual entanglement between Beth and the priest.

The pedo hunt against Jack bothered me in Broadchurch just as much here. You see the statutory rape charge and don't look beyond that. Just let everybody leap to the idea that Jack is a diddler of little boys. If Jack's predilection was 12-year old boys, it would not be a statutory rape charge, but sexual assault against a minor child.

Susan with her "I know men who'd rape you." What in the everloving fuck? You say something like that to me, I will dig deeper into you because now I know there's something there you don't want getting out and pure vindictiveness and spite will have me dragging it out and hoping it strips you naked and nails you to the cross for all to witness. The only thing I would wish for is that I had a record of you threatening a sexual assault hit on me.

• Love 4

Yeah, have they even really gone into detail about Jack's crime and conviction?  They said it was statutory rape, but what was the gender?  How old were they?  I mean, it's illegal either way, but there is a difference if the victim was twelve and if he/she was sixteen. Hell, how long ago was this?  Was Jack in his 30s or 40s?  Or was he only 19 or 20?  No one, not even the cops or reporters, are bringing this up, and yet everyone is already freaking out.  Typical Gracepoint.  A town full of assholes and idiots, I see.

So, along with Jack, Reverend Paul is continuing to be a little shady, and seems to be on Carver's radar now.  And, there is good old Susan.  Apparently, that's not her real name, and if anyone asks questions, she just kindly asks them to stop, or she'll sick rapists on them.  Yeah, a lovely person right there.

Did love Beth waiting till the conference to inform Mark that she knows about his cheating ways.  I really do not like Mark.

So, Renee and Oliver hooked up, and Renee pretty much has gotten him wrapped around her finger.  I guess he really likes getting laid.  As expected, Renee has just opened a big can of worms, and is still trashing Carver.  She's going to continue to be a big problem.

The dinner was less awkward then expected.  Carver actually has some awareness over what he's like, and what Ellie thinks of him.  Liked him and Joe together.  Of course, he just had to follow that by collapsing in his hotel room.  Will he even make it to the end of this case?

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 4

Wow. 

At least there was the dinner at the Millers!  I did like the moment with Joe and Emmett. I had started a project earlier in the day and was still working on it while watching. How did Tom react, or was this just The Grown-ups?  I did like that we got a little more of Carver's history. Carver's palpable fear in the hospital was an interesting change. Unfortunately, he now has something Gemma can use. I hope she won't, but this town isn't as nice as it wants to think it is.

I am really not liking Renee.

Owen, I actually have a little empathy for. His mom is clearly unable to care for herself  consistently. Aunt Ellie is caught up in her case and Owen, for whatever reason, feels unable to do more than last week's scene. He realizes he invited a freaking vampire into his quiet town and she doesn't share. I hope Kathy, his boss, will lean on him some and he leans on her and they fight the turkeys off together. (Newsflash:Susan/Rita is creepy and needs to be stopped pronto! In other news, the sky is blue and water is wet.)

I understand that kids are a hot button for most folks.Still, while not excusing Jack's past, if he has not done anything criminal since his last trial/conviction/charges, he should be allowed to live his life. The previews made me sigh. Especially as it looked like Vince whipping up the crowd.

I need to give this episode one more watch. 

• Love 1

I really liked seeing Emmett at dinner at the Millers followed by his voice mail to his daughter. It humanized him just a bit.

Susan Wright and her rapist comment are way too over the top so she isn't the killer. Similarly, the focus on Jack's statutory rape conviction will set off a lynch mob but isn't relevant to Danny's death. There is clearly something off about Paul; I wonder if he is actually Danny's bio dad? It was mentioned that he left town in high school. Perhaps he got Beth pregnant and left? I liked how they brought the newspaper editor back into the show. I wonder if she is going to be more prominent in digging up clues? Renee can leave now. Still the most curious about what Tom was deleting from his computer and phone??

• Love 2

Susan crossed the line from creepy into needs to die. What kind of a psycho goes around threatening people like that? That is one crazy biatch. But since it's only the fifth episode, she can't possibly be the one who killed Danny. She is just a loose cannon who happens to have Danny's skateboard and an alias.

ITA about everyone freaking out about Jack's statuatory conviction. At the very least, shouldn't Emmitt and Ellie, as police officers, be able to check the facts of the case like when it happened, how old Jack was, how old the minor was, if the minor was, you know, A GIRL OR A BOY? I'm not trying to defend a (fictional) sex offender, but these silly details make a big difference. If he was 18 and his girlfriend was 17 and her parents decided to press charges because they cound out that their little angel was having S-E-X, that is totally different from, say, 50 year old Jack raping a 15 year old (but it should be noted that since Owen has known Jack since he was a kid, Jack has been in Gracepoint for at least, what, 20 or 30 years? And that means his conviction is pretty old). But why would Emmitt and Ellie be bothered with getting information like that before questioning him? It's so much easier to say, "Hey, Rapey McPerverson, did you kill Danny?" How long ago did they say the other crime occurred?

• Love 1
Susan crossed the line from creepy into needs to die. What kind of a psycho goes around threatening people like that? That is one crazy biatch.

I have been baffled from the beginning why Carver seemed to be letting her slide with a lot of her cagey, almost stonewalling behavior. It's like he just doesn't seem to think she's of any interest to the case which is odd because he's the one who constantly harps on how just about everyone can be a suspect. But yeah that comment to the editor woman was a total "WTF" and the woman should have called the police and filed some kind of order because that is without question a direct threat. 

This episode was pretty good and probably one of my favorites so far. Carver's awkwardness at dinner with Ellie and her husband was funny and kind of endearing. I continue to dislike Gemma or whatever her name is.  As a huge introvert, I cannot stand pushy people and she seems like the worse type. And now she knows Carver's sick so she'll really not leave him alone. The Solano's continue to annoy. Beth speaks to the press after Carver and Ellie tell them not to and then Mark gets all psycho guy on a photog when the media they invited with the story, comes to the house. I also am annoyed by their continued attitude like nothing is being done by the police and that they're being wronged in some way. I get this is probably realistic on some level, as people deal with grief in very different ways but it really does not make it easy to root for them. 

In other news, Ellie's kid continues to be creepy. I am really fascinated to see when things come to a head and Ellie realizes that there was some big secret related to her kid and Danny, that he felt the need to delete a bunch of messages on his phone and his computer hard drive. It was interesting watching her at lunch with the Solano's because for all her eyerolling and sighing over Carver's cynicism, I got the feeling she was doing what he suggested she do at the church service - observe people, watch their reactions and see who seems nervous, guilty, etc.Maybe she's finally getting to the place of no longer thinking of these people as her friends, her town, etc. and realizing that one of them may very well be a murderer. 

I am now solidly on Vince as the likely killer. One, there is something shifty and slightly sinister about him all the while he doesn't seem to be anyone's radar, particularly the police. Two, I don't think that brief shot of what looked like blood in his van some episodes ago, was an accident. Three, that creepy moment when he closed the door while alone in the shed with Tom. Obviously he didn't kill Tom but I feel like the writers wanted to create that sense of fear for a reason and it's interesting it was Tom because we still don't know what he deleted off his computer and hard drive. Four, there is clearly some tension below the surface between him and Mark on account of his being promised some type of promotion. Five, I thought he was a little too eager to go inform Mark about the conversation with the old guy and Owen and place suspicion on him and the promos for next week show him leading the witch hunt against the guy.

Also, I think his pushing for the promotion and bringing it up is relevant in showing that he likely wanted more money and who knows what he's into to get more money. Which in turns may tie into why Danny had 500 dollars in his room and whatever Tom didn't want anyone to see. Finally, much as in real life I'm like Carver towards these so called psychics, I do think on the show we're supposed to believe he's genuine and the guy did say Danny was killed by someone he knew and the scene of Vince having lunch with the family in this episode, clearly shows that he knows the family very well.

Finally, did I miss a key scene between Chloe and her older boyfriend in last week's episode because the last thing I remember between them is her apologizing for having to tell the police the truth and him telling her it was okay and later her defending their relationship to Mark. Yet in last night's episode, when he shows up for the church service, they both sort of roll their eyes at each other and she gives him a pissed off stare before turning away from him. Weird...

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

Yeah, have they even really gone into detail about Jack's crime and conviction?  They said it was statutory rape, but what was the gender?  How old were they?  I mean, it's illegal either way, but there is a difference if the victim was twelve and if he/she was sixteen. Hell, how long ago was this?  Was Jack in his 30s or 40s?  Or was he only 19 or 20?  No one, not even the cops or reporters, are bringing this up, and yet everyone is already freaking out.  Typical Gracepoint.  A town full of assholes and idiots, I see.

So, along with Jack, Reverend Paul is continuing to be a little shady, and seems to be on Carver's radar now.  And, there is good old Susan.  Apparently, that's not her real name, and if anyone asks questions, she just kindly asks them to stop, or she'll sick rapists on them.  Yeah, a lovely person right there.

Did love Beth waiting till the conference to inform Mark that she knows about his cheating ways.  I really do not like Mark.

So, Renee and Oliver hooked up, and Renee pretty much has gotten him wrapped around her finger.  I guess he really likes getting laid.  As expected, Renee has just opened a big can of worms, and is still trashing Carver.  She's going to continue to be a big problem.

The dinner was less awkward then expected.  Carver actually has some awareness over what he's like, and what Ellie thinks of him.  Liked him and Joe together.  Of course, he just had to follow that by collapsing in his hotel room.  Will he even make it to the end of this case?

One reviewer joked that apparently laughing comes with a price in Gracepoint (ie Carver collapsing in the shower).

I thought Beth shouldn't have picked the news conference to tell Mark about his cheating.  Get through that first at least.

I thought Beth shouldn't have picked the news conference to tell Mark about his cheating.  Get through that first at least.

I agree. She had plenty of time to confront Mark about this, but she chooses the most inopportune time to do so. Both Beth and Mark are extremely immature, which tells me what their maturity level was when Chloe was born (I have a theory that wherever you are maturity-wise when the first kid comes along is where you're generally stuck at for your adult life because most people are not introspective enough to work on themselves and assume that having a kid automatically makes them mature and responsible. Having a responsibility does not make you responsible).

I understand that losing a child is a huge blow and most marriages don't survive the loss of a child, but these are problems that they've been having since before Danny died. Mark cheating, Beth hiding a pregnancy, their inability to communicate with each other, the passive-aggressiveness, etc. Danny's death and the resulting stress has just turned it all up to 11.

• Love 1
The Solano's continue to annoy. Beth speaks to the press after Carver and Ellie tell them not to and then Mark gets all psycho guy on a photog when the media they invited with the story, comes to the house. I also am annoyed by their continued attitude like nothing is being done by the police and that they're being wronged in some way. I get this is probably realistic on some level, as people deal with grief in very different ways but it really does not make it easy to root for them.

This continues to annoy me.  There are many, many people in this town to be suspicious of, but the Solanos act like the police killed their son and they're covering it up or something.  Their own family is a hotbed of secrets and lies, yet they trust psychics from out of nowhere more than the police.  I don't get it.

• Love 6

I was amused when a rather exasperated Gemma said "You could do worse!" when Carver looked uncomfortable after Gemma told him that she claimed to be his wife so she could accompany him to the hospital.

I don't think there were any details about his conviction, other than it was statutory rape and Jack admitting that he was in prison and that he was convicted.  Which was good to know.  I'd hate to think he was thrown in prison without being convicted.

Ellie also mentioned to Carver, that the police from some other town (in Oregon?) thought that one of their unsolved cases from years back was similar to Danny's murder, and that Jack once lived near that town.

I'm hoping we'll get more details in the next episode.

• Love 1

Ellie tells Carver he's wearing a suit when he comes to dinner. The heck? He just had a jacket on over a casual shirt, like I would expect any guest to wear. He's suppose to come to dinner in ripped up jeans and a t? I think not. Score one for Carver for having manners. And Ellie gets a minus one for pointing out what he is wearing. TRES bad manners and way to make him feel uncomfortable. A great hostess she is not.

Gemma going through Carver's wallet squeed me out. Like what else was she snooping for in there?

So my theory that Carver was implicated in his wife and/or daughter's murder got tossed out the window. I thought his dinner comment that they moved to Rosemont was important for down the road, when the reporter chick opens her can of worms, although it seemed like unnecessary TMI at the time.

I agree that everyone is going to form a lynch mob on Nick Nolte without even finding out what his conviction was for. And yeah, he's lived there a long, long time with no problems. I thought his bringing Danny's phone to the Solanos was revealing. If he were the murderer, he could have just tossed it into the ocean.

These guys don't watch TMZ. Mark busting out of the house (which had its shades/curtains open, BTW, how DUH is that) and attacking a pap and destroying his camera while a dozen others recorded it for posterity (and the next day's newspaper) was way over the top. And sets him up for a great lawsuit that the photog is going to win. And where was Pete while this was going on?

The scene where Beth asks Tommy for a hug brought tears to my eyes and made my stone-cold heart hurt a bit for the unlikeable Beth Solano.

Beth telling Mark she knew about his affair right before the press conference was not nice, but anyone who has been cheated on by a partner might agree it was perfect revenge timing. I actually gave Beth a "Yeah, Girl" when she said it.

Creepy Trailer Lady threatening newspaper owner was crazed on her part. Nothing a journalist likes more than digging around and snooping up peoples' pasts. Plus, she needs to fill Carver in on that right away, and buy herself a taser. I'm guessing Carver might be interested in CTL's pack of rapist guys.

• Love 2

One of the biggest problems I have with this show is the complete lack of charm/chemistry/personality of Mark, who even in his wedding picture was nowhere good looking enough to get to first base with track star Beth, much less impregnate her.  I guess I can fanwank that Beth was drunk or something, but that doesn't explain the inn-keeper.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
And sets him up for a great lawsuit that the photog is going to win.

Plus, she needs to fill Carver in on that right away, and buy herself a taser.

Where I come from the photog only wins a sentence for trespass.

And newspaper lady should buy a polymer frame .40 S&W, not a taser!

• Love 2

Ellie tells Carver he's wearing a suit when he comes to dinner. The heck? He just had a jacket on over a casual shirt, like I would expect any guest to wear.

I noticed that too. He certainly wasn't wearing a tie, but maybe the distinction is that he had on the same suit slacks and jacket he wears at work. He probably doesn't have any other clothes.

I'll be interested to see what the follow up is, if any, to Susan threatening Owen's boss. It seemed strange to me that they cut right to a commercial and then the next time we saw her she was walking down the street. Made me wonder if she'd murdered her.

My main problem with this show continues to be Carver. I don't know if it's David Tennant, or the way the character is written, or just what, but he's just so unlikable it's hard to follow a story where he's the main character. He's not a "love to hate" or quirky kind of character that intrigues me, he's just an abrasive asshole and I don't really care what his backstory is, he's unpleasant to follow around for an hour.

If this show had any chance at a second season I'd bale.

This town has so many creepy characters I'm surprised there haven't been more ghastly murders. I'm assuming one of them will end up being the murderer and that the writers aren't going to suddenly introduce someone we've never seen before. Every week I change my mind about who is the most likely. This week's candidate is Vince, spreading rumors about Jack to deflect attention from his own suspicious behavior.

Ellie remarking on his 'suit' was so rude and uncomfortable.  So was Joe wearing sweats or whatever.  

I agree this Mark is a loser.  

It's like they ramped up the ick factor on everyone for the American version.  Do they think Americans won't follow a mini-series with realistic characters?  

I don't see a court being sympathetic to a pap shooting up against a grieving family's window.  That's illegal, smashed camera or not.

It's legal to take photos of anyone and anything from a public venue, like the sidewalk in front of Solano's house; it is trespass being in their yard. However, I doubt the Solano beat down of the photog will be taken anywhere, it's not an integral part of the storyline so matters not. Although I hope the photos will appear in next day's newspaper, which will be lots of fun!

I'm guessing Father is the dad of Beth's daughter and Mark married Beth to save her from unwed mother shame when Father skipped town after finding out he was going to be a dad. I don't think that's all that relevant to the storyline, either. But would explain why track-star Beth would settle for plumber-going-nowhere Mark. And her being resentful of him since he's not the one she loves/loved. So she's turned into a cold fish and he's having an affair. Welcome to Everytown, USA, viewers.

And what's up with Vince, the plumber's employee who wants to be a partner not knowing how to unplug a drain? Please. Even I can pull a sponge out of a drain trap. Mark offering him $60 was so odd, like there are no plumbing jobs for Vince to do (or Mark, either) since Danny died? Like all the pipes in town suddenly run perfectly? I wish my kitchen pipes would follow Gracepoint's lead.

In a town where everyone knows your name, you'd think the admitting nurse/doctor/whomever at the hospital would know Gemma isn't Carver's wife. And what's with everyone walking everywhere? Carver bails out of the hospital and WALKS back to the inn? After he WALKED there after that dinner?

And speaking of the dinner, strike another blow for Ellie's being a snotty snot and rude hostess, commenting to her husband: "Oh look, our guest brought flowers, candy AND wine!" instead of just graciously saying, "Oh, thank you so much, you didn't need to bring anything. We are just glad to have you here." (While she's thinking: "In your wrong clothes with your wrong gifts. I hate you for taking my job.")

Edited by saber5055

My main problem with this show continues to be Carver. I don't know if it's David Tennant, or the way the character is written, or just what, but he's just so unlikable it's hard to follow a story where he's the main character. He's not a "love to hate" or quirky kind of character that intrigues me, he's just an abrasive asshole and I don't really care what his backstory is, he's unpleasant to follow around for an hour.

If this show had any chance at a second season I'd bale.

Carver is unpleasant but I could tolerate his "unpleasantness" if I was able to appreciate his detective work. We don't see him doing much beyond telling everyone else how incompetent they are. I'm not impressed by Ellie's detective skills either. I am watching this show because of the murder mystery not the weird, small town vibe. It's been such a slow build of suspense regarding the "who done it" aspect that I am losing interest.

The missing details on Jack's statutory rape charge is ridiculous in light of the town's mob mentality. The Solanos annoy me as well, particularly Mark who comes across as remarkably unsympathetic. I'm not interested in Owen and Renee. Jacki Weaver's character (whatever her real name is) is the creepiest one in the show and no one seems concerned about her even though she had a key to the abandoned house. I like the editor and hope we see more of her. 

Once this mystery is solved, I'm done with this show.

Edited by Ellaria Sand
  • Love 1

ELLARIA - "It's been such a slow build of suspense regarding the "who done it" aspect that I am losing interest."

This times a thousand! This shows is moving way too slowly and has way too many unlikable characters/suspects. I am really not a fan of the "It's him!", "No, it's him!", "No it's her!"' "No, maybe it is him, after all". Especially when we really don't know enough about any of these people to give a damn.

It also seems like we are seeing surprisingly little police work, despite the supposedly fantastic Carver. Why didn't the cops do a background check on Jack? Not to mention all the other weirdos in town. I'll bet Jack was on that list that Beth gave the cops. If he wasn't he should have been, based on looks alone. Same with trailer park lady. (Is she Vince's mother?)

If that newspaper editor doesn't go to the police, she is a damn fool.

Edited by Mittengirl
  • Love 2

So will we all, since that will be the end of the 10-part series.

Not necessarily. Broadchurch was renewed for a 2nd season. If the ratings are strong enough, this show could be renewed as well. The "10 episode event" may be a hedge in case ratings aren't strong enough to warrant a second season. Networks rarely walk away from a successful show (even one with moderate success) unlike cable and premium stations.

Edit: apparently ratings keep slipping each week so this discussion may be unnecessary.

Edited by Ellaria Sand

In a town where everyone knows your name, you'd think the admitting nurse/doctor/whomever at the hospital would know Gemma isn't Carver's wife. And what's with everyone walking everywhere? Carver bails out of the hospital and WALKS back to the inn? After he WALKED there after that dinner?

And speaking of the dinner, strike another blow for Ellie's being a snotty snot and rude hostess, commenting to her husband: "Oh look, our guest brought flowers, candy AND wine!" instead of just graciously saying, "Oh, thank you so much, you didn't need to bring anything. We are just glad to have you here." (While she's thinking: "In your wrong clothes with your wrong gifts. I hate you for taking my job.")

I imagine he's walking because he blacks out sporadically. Would you really want someone like Carver driving on your streets if at any moment he might black out, veer onto the footpath and kill you and your kid? In fact, I'm pretty sure someone has been driving him anytime we see him in a car. Seems like a smart choice by Carver in my opinion.

And yeah Ellie was awkward. Rude, awkward. That seems to be Anna Gunn's take on the character though.

saber5055, on 01 Nov 2014 - 04:19 AM, said:

Ellie tells Carver he's wearing a suit when he comes to dinner. The heck? He just had a jacket on over a casual shirt, like I would expect any guest to wear. He's suppose to come to dinner in ripped up jeans and a t? I think not. Score one for Carver for having manners. And Ellie gets a minus one for pointing out what he is wearing. TRES bad manners and way to make him feel uncomfortable. A great hostess she is not.

Gemma going through Carver's wallet squeed me out. Like what else was she snooping for in there?

He was wearing a suit though wasn't he? "Suit" is apparently defined as: a set of outer clothes made of the same fabric and designed to be worn together, typically consisting of a jacket and trousers or a jacket and skirt. Losing the tie means he's not just wearing what he wore to work :P

That girl in the photo was wearing a pendant...so maybe not his daughter? Interesting if he really is carrying around some other child's photo.

I think there's a big difference between his character in the first episode and the man by the end of this week's episode. There's obviously a reason he is the way he is (and undoubtedly some of that is purely personality) but he was pretty much an average guy in the dinner scene with Joe. Inside jokes? Laughing? Definitely not the same man who cut Miller off with a "seriously?" on that first day!

• Love 1

I can't wait for them to look at Danny's phone and see that he had a zillion texts with that skeevy Tom (that kid gives me the willies). What a shock that will be to Ellie the Non-cop.

Is Joe a house husband? Sounded like he gave up working and stays home with the kids and cooks. I like him. Seems like the only marginally normal person in town.

• Love 1

Joe?  Do you mean the guy who quit his 1st responder job in a sleepy, coast village?  To do nothing but housework?  They don't appear to be a "trust-fund" couple so I guess money is a bit tight.  It seems to me that there is a back-story on Joe and why he "quit".  I give it 2 more episodes before the why is revealed.

• Love 2

I can't help but compare this show to Twin Peaks which had a somewhat similar premise and boy, does this show come up short in that comparison. The mystery of who killed Laura Palmer moved at a more glacial pace than Who Killed Danny but I was so invested in all the quirky, fascinating characters I didn't mind half as much. This story is just populated by idiots and assholes. Carver? I knew Special Agent Dale Cooper, and you, sir, are no Dale Cooper.

• Love 1

I'll be interested to see what the follow up is, if any, to Susan threatening Owen's boss. It seemed strange to me that they cut right to a commercial and then the next time we saw her she was walking down the street. Made me wonder if she'd murdered her.

But if Susan murdered Kathy, why the rape threat?  Also, no blood on Susan and her dog.

I think Kathy will get a restraining order as quietly as possible. I wonder if she didn't record the threat. Being in a sleepy little town can get your Big City reflexes rusty, but Kathy seems like a smart cookie. Maybe she got her phone to record?

And where was Pete while this was going on?

I think he was getting yelled at by Mark and Vince.

And speaking of the dinner, strike another blow for Ellie's being a snotty snot and rude hostess, commenting to her husband: "Oh look, our guest brought flowers, candy AND wine!"

Right? Don't invite him over if you can't be polite, Ellie. I know her tone was lightly teasing throughout, but it wasn't cute or funny.  Also, Joe, hon? When someone turns down alcohol? Maybe not because they are uptight prigs. They may have meds that would react badly. A recovering alcoholic who doesn't feel the need to overshare about his addiction. Maybe, I know this is insane, but maybe just doesn't want some.  Yes, Emmett drank some, but we've seen Carver push himself, healthwise, on this case.  After someone politely declines alcohol, take them at their word. Find some other way of getting him to chill some.

As for the Susan/Carver back-and-forth, I think Emmett is giving her enough rope to either trip herself up or hang herself. Or possibly get them going in a more likely direction. One of the ways to get info from a suspect is to give them space. Then again, I've watched hundreds of hours of TV cops; I may be wrong. ;)

• Love 2

Kathy was not murdered. She was shown later in the episode when everyone in town was shown reading the newspaper article with Beth's interview. There is a shot of her at what looks to be her house, at a table on a patio, in her robe. Also, I'm pretty certain there's a shot of her with Owen at the family press conference at the end of the episode.

This isn't Harper's Island, with everyone getting murdered. It's about one murder - Danny's.

And I really don't see how Mark's looks (which I think are fine, he's not movie star handsome, but he's hardly a troll) have anything to do with him attracting Beth as a teen. If you look at any group of popular kids, they aren't always all gorgeous. He could have been funny and charming and, as I said, it's not like he's hideous. And he has a great head of hair.

Mark and Beth now are clearly unhappy, which the death of your child can do to a person. I do take issue with the trope that everyone in small towns is miserable and bored, most people I know (in my small town) are quite content. If not, they'd move away.

• Love 5

Yeah, like everyone has already posted, we know she wasn't murderred but it was a strange time to cut to commercial and the murder thought crossed my mind as well. With Susan sneaking into the office -- how DID she get in? -- then the threat, then the cut to commercial ... the 10-minute commercial break gave my mind time to go there, a more interesting place for it to go than to watch those insufferable political commercials. Wondering something isn't the same as believing it happened.

Mark and Beth now are clearly unhappy, which the death of your child can do to a person. I do take issue with the trope that everyone in small towns is miserable and bored, most people I know (in my small town) are quite content. If not, they'd move away.

They were unhappy before Danny was killed. Why was Mark cheating? Why doesn't Beth joyously tell Mark she is pregnant? It doesn't take a small town to make couples miserable and bored, everyone and anyone everywhere can have that problem. And as for moving away .... good luck with that. Easy to say, not so easy to do. For some, impossible to do.

• Love 1

I think my biggest problems with the show are the casting and some of the poorly written lines. Mark is completely wooden and charmless, and barely seems to acknowledge that his son died just a few days ago. Beth looks practically the same age as her daughter. For the first few episodes, I assumed her daughter was her sister-in-law. Carver keeps having to deliver these clunky, exposition- heavy comments. None of the characters are likeable. I'm sure I should feel sorry for Beth and Mark, but I don't like them enough to care. Anna Gunn deserves better.

• Love 3

I was bothered by them being pointlessly coy about Jack's past. Who did he statutorily rape? The phase statutory rape makes me think a 16 year old girl, not a 12 year old boy. They were very careful to keep saying "a minor" without specifying further, which I thought was unrealistic. And if it was a girl, or even a boy who was 17 instead of 12, why wouldn't Jack himself point that out?

I was also bothered that the cops aren't treating the "psychic" as a possible suspect yet.

• Love 1

Does mark understand technology at all? He should have taken out the memory card and smashed that. What he did probably didn't break the memory card.

The newspaper editor needs to report that threat to the cops. But I bet she won't, for stupid tv reasons.

I don't think the priest can be Chloe's father, because she looks half-Hispanic. But there could still be backstory there, like maybe Beth was dating the priest first and then got with mark on the rebound.

• Love 1

Does mark understand technology at all? He should have taken out the memory card and smashed that. What he did probably didn't break the memory card.

I know, my thought exactly. Or pocket the card since they can't be smashed that easily. Now he'll have to buy that photog a new camera and answer to an assault charge. Plus there were a dozen other memory cards recording that event, which made the entire scene ridiculous IMO. So they were photographing through the window, so what? Those photos were meaningless, but the photo of Mark giving a beat down ... priceless. And not in his best interest being he's a suspect in his son's murder and all.

• Love 1

Did love Beth waiting till the conference to inform Mark that she knows about his cheating ways.

Tee hee - that earned a "go, girl!" from me.

Are we supposed to know what Carver's medical issue is by now? Maybe I missed something in the hospital scene.

I feel like they're still spending a lot of time on red herrings - maybe by the next episode the show will start moving more quickly.

• Love 1

Tee hee - that earned a "go, girl!" from me.

Are we supposed to know what Carver's medical issue is by now? Maybe I missed something in the hospital scene.

I feel like they're still spending a lot of time on red herrings - maybe by the next episode the show will start moving more quickly.

Doesn't he have diabetes?

Carver, I think, has some sort of heart condition. It looks like ventricular aneurysm caused by silent heart attack, maybe?

That would be pretty damned major.  Wouldn't that have shown up in his physical exam?  I mean, he's just started a new job, which surely would have required he get a physical?  Especially being a policeman, the test would be fairly rigorous.

• Love 1

This is the Gracepoint PD. They were probably so happy to have a competent cop that they could hire before Ellie got back from vacation (so they'd have a perfect reason to not give her that promotion), that they would have hired Carver even if he was half dead. Which it kind of looks like he is.

• Love 3

This episode was better but there are quite a few inconsistencies/nonsense that still bother.

I agree that the statutory rape versus the "he likes little kids" is absurd and once again the PD fails to investigate. 

The cell phone: if the other kid has to delete messages from his cell, and the show is telling us that the two boys were onto something together, why there is nothing on Danny's cell?

The photographer trespassed and deserved the punches and having his camera broken. 

That trailer lady is ridiculous, as a character. I can't stand when shows do that, one character that acts suspiciously and really does not have any clout goes around harassing people and controlling their lives. I know she is supposed to be a good actress, although I have no idea of who she is, but so far I am unimpressed by the acting and annoyed by the character.

The family still acts so entitled. They don't cooperate and then are convinced by a low grade reporter that the police is not doing anything?

And sorry, but every grain of sand needs to be combed through, every nail, every hair - ON THE BEACH? I am still laughing. They should have, at least, put those words on the lady cop's mouth. 

I thought Nick Nolte finally had some material to work with

• Love 1
The cell phone: if the other kid has to delete messages from his cell, and the show is telling us that the two boys were onto something together, why there is nothing on Danny's cell?

I'm not sure but I don't think they've fully searched the phone yet.  It was almost the end of the episode when the old guy brought the phone for the  Solano's and Ellie took it from him presumably to bring it into evidence. And then it was the next day and they were having a press conference. Assuming the phone needs to be unlocked or whatever, it might take a day or two for some tech to do it and fully search through it. I imagine, or hope, that it will come up more in the next episode. Because something has to eventually happen to direct Carver and Ellie back to Ellie's kid and this week's episode is already Episode 6 with the series only having ten episodes.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 3

Ellie also mentioned to Carver, that the police from some other town (in Oregon?) thought that one of their unsolved cases from years back was similar to Danny's murder, and that Jack once lived near that town.

Ellie told Carver that there was a murder of a boy that had similar aspects to that of Danny's murder in Cannon Beach, OR.  She said that Jack lived in Arch Cape at that time.  Arch Cape is 7 miles south of Cannon Beach.

• Love 1