Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E13: Jill's Wedding

Personally, I was not impressed with that wedding and I would not have wanted it televised. I actually kind of like the idea of her theme - the vintage, shabby chic thing. I liked the colors she chose, and I thought her dress was very pretty. One thing I thought was really cute - the chalkboards before and after the ceremony.

Some real cute ideas there. But it did not fit, at all, with the venue. It would have been much cuter if they did it outside, or in an old barn. There are so many cool locations they could have used that would have fit better with the theme. But standing up in that bland, impersonal megachurch, with the outdated carpet - it just looked tacky as hell. Just a horrible fit. And the running down the aisle? Ack, I cringed with embarrassment. 

I haven't watched this yet, but as much as I dislike the Roloffs, the son's wedding was rustic-done-right and probably the nicest wedding I've ever seen on TV....and it was ONE episode and it was aired a mere week and a half after the actual event. C'mon TLC....you can do it.

The 'little girls crying' is probably either about something else...or they tell them that Jill is going away forever to get the drama shots....and then she shows up every single day after the wedding to further confuse them. Probably scripted by JB and his cartoon-inspired plots.

So for my wine consumption....how drunk will I get with the word "bittersweet". Or should I go with "covenant" or "amazing"?

• Love 2

It's the same dress, but for some reason it doesn't look as God awful on Kelly as it did on Michelle. I'm not sure if Kelly's was tailored better or what, but you could see her shape, whereas Michelle just looked like a big sack of potatoes.

And, my goodness! I didn't know Whitney's mother wore a sleeveless dress to her daughter's wedding. That scandalous Jezebel!!!!

fesspoire, thanks for the pic, wow, Amy looked gorgeous!

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 3

One last point I'll make -- there are some who consider a church to be a very holy and sacred space -- you see it in the choice of words used to describe it.  Words like "sanctuary" and "nave" and other language.  But many Americans do not consider the physical space to be that particularly sacred - it is the people within it that are important, and you see that in their language - words like "worship center" or even "auditorium" are used.  There has ALWAYS been an American religious strain that has been informal, loud, and non-traditional in their worship -- even considered to be "profane" by the churches who practice high church "sacred" rites.  These are religions who are often accused of making a spectacle out of services in some way, who do not dress appropriately, who do not act the right way -- all things that Jill and her family are being accused of being here.  This goes back to frontier times, when Presbyterian and Episcopal ministers would be shocked by how people worshiped from the Appalachian mountains on.  It's the reason you see so many Baptist and Methodist churches in the south -- the churches that required formal worship styles and educated clergy simply couldn't keep up with the migration patterns and who the people they were being sent to serve were.

But in all honesty, they aren't doing anything other than being who they are and following their own religious traditions, including the lack of shoes in church.  Its honestly not that big of a deal.  I doubt that one in a hundred people there were surprised or shocked.  

• Love 4

Oh my, I'm still in shock about the popcorn and root beer float refreshments. It is one thing to be thrifty but the Duggars are beyond cheap not to serve food. They didn't even have tables and chairs for the guest who stood outside after the wedding.

Families came in from California and around the country to attend this wedding. Presumably they all gave gifts and probably quite a few gave cash. In return they get a bag of popcorn?

Couldn't JB have spent a few thousand on some food? They could rent tables, chairs and get something modest like finger sandwiches.

Punch and cake weddings are very rare nowadays. I don't believe in blowing the family fortune on a wedding but it seemed disrespectful to guests to serve nothing of substance.

The Duggars are millionaires. I was embarrassed for them.

I love to snark but there is something very endearing about Jill, Jana and Joyanna.

I have no interest in the Jessa engagement and will not watch much. I hope Jana finds a soulmate soon, she has so much love to give.

Cathy appeared to be quite ill, oxygen dependent. I have not read much about her illness but I'm worried.

I don't think people are making fun of Josie when they snark about the miracle child. Many of us got sick of hearing about precious Josie when the same parents seemed so indifferent to the other precious kids.

Just now saw a clip on "E News" on Jill's wedding. It actually sounded like a promotion for last night's episode.  E News stated that the wedding cost $200K. But I'll bet my retirement account that Boob didn't pay anything CLOSE to this personally. I can't even see how the value of the wedding could add up to this much. $30 bridesmaids dresses with free alterations courtesy Jana. Famous Footwear probably threw in all those shoes. No limos. Not even a lot of flowers. Probably a free or deeply-discounted wedding dress?  Volunteer labor? Borrowed dress for MeChelle? No real food, no booze? Just food as it would be served for a kiddie birthday party. Popcorn and cupcakes? Root beer floats? Powdered lemonade? How in the world does what they had - even if they'd paid for every last item - add up to $200K? It must have been Boob himself who provided that figure...

• Love 5

Ugh, I lost my quotes and there's no way I'm searching through four pages of posts to find them again . . . sorry!

The stage-style church is a modern trend, and I think it's typically found only in churches that have an exclusively modern worship style--you can correct me if you know otherwise. It's definitely not exclusively a Baptist or fundamentalist thing. Two days ago I visited a Presbyterian church with that sort of set-up. 

I appreciate whoever chimed in that it's unfair to say Michelle's unfeeling simply because she didn't cry. I've been known to cry at camera commercials and stop signs, but I didn't cry at the wedding of one of my daughters; I was super happy--every bit as happy as I'd been when her sister married--but it came out as a big dumb smile instead of tears. I also didn't cry at my mom's funeral; in that case, I was just all cried out. I do think Mechelle's got a screw loose, but it's unfair to other mothers to establish wedding tears as a barometer of material love.

My tolerance of children in weddings is directly linked to whether I know and love the kids involved. Sometimes when I'm getting annoyed at a child in a wedding, I'll try to remind myself of what that child must mean to the family involved. I also tend to be less exasperated with a child who's just wiggling than I am with a child who's purposely showing out and trying to attract attention away from the bridal party.

• Love 4

Just now saw a clip on "E News" on Jill's wedding. It actually sounded like a promotion for last night's episode. E News stated that the wedding cost $200K. But I'll bet my retirement account that Boob didn't pay anything CLOSE to this personally. I can't even see how the value of the wedding could add up to this much. $30 bridesmaids dresses with free alterations courtesy Jana. Famous Footwear probably threw in all those shoes. No limos. Not even a lot of flowers. Probably a free or deeply-discounted wedding dress? Volunteer labor? Borrowed dress for MeChelle? No real food, no booze? Just food as it would be served for a kiddie birthday party. Popcorn and cupcakes? Root beer floats? Powdered lemonade? How in the world does what they had - even if they'd paid for every last item - add up to $200K? It must have been Boob himself who provided that figure...

Bullshit. 200k for a cheap ass wedding like that. No way. Then they could've serve real damn food and didn't need volunteers. Just hire people to do it. Or course JB didn't pay for any of it

• Love 3

Just now saw a clip on "E News" on Jill's wedding. It actually sounded like a promotion for last night's episode.  E News stated that the wedding cost $200K. But I'll bet my retirement account that Boob didn't pay anything CLOSE to this personally. I can't even see how the value of the wedding could add up to this much. $30 bridesmaids dresses with free alterations courtesy Jana. Famous Footwear probably threw in all those shoes. No limos. Not even a lot of flowers. Probably a free or deeply-discounted wedding dress?  Volunteer labor? Borrowed dress for MeChelle? No real food, no booze? Just food as it would be served for a kiddie birthday party. Popcorn and cupcakes? Root beer floats? Powdered lemonade? How in the world does what they had - even if they'd paid for every last item - add up to $200K? It must have been Boob himself who provided that figure...

There is no way the wedding cost 200K. Maybe 2K if that. 

• Love 4

Just now saw a clip on "E News" on Jill's wedding. It actually sounded like a promotion for last night's episode.  E News stated that the wedding cost $200K. 

I'll up the ante and throw in my retirement account, house, right arm and first born child that that wedding didn't cost a fraction of 200k. No booze, no catering, no DJ, no limos, no high end bridal wear, no professional hair and makeup, no pricey venue, no cocktail hour, no wedding favors, DIY decor, where the hell did they get 200k from?

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 3

I need to watch again, but I am thinking it may be Derrick's "stepdad". This guy was the older man with Derrick's mom.  Everytime he is shown he looks disgusted. He was first shown when Derrick arrived back from Nepal at the airport. In this episode he looked pissed when the Duggar's pushed infront of him while waiting for Derrick. He just glares at them.

I saw a man just outside the door with a blue polo, arms crossed and looked pissed.  Not sure if that is the same one.

Was MEchelle's dress Kelly Bates' dress at one time????

http://s189314.gridserver.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/IMG_1924.jpg

Wow!  It might be.  Kelly probably is much taller than MEchelle. 

Okay, speaking of dresses- I have been looking at the bridesmaids dresses.  I keep doing a freeze frame to see if I'm right, but to me, it appears that not all of the dresses have that piece added to the neckline.  I'm looking at one now of three of the girls just after the ceremony.  (Jana, Jinger and Joy).  You can clearly see that Joy's dress has it, but I can not for the life of me see it on Jana or Jingers dress.  Does anyone notice this?  Maybe since Joy has bigger boobs, her dress might plunge lower and they thought she must have it.  

Let me know what you think.

I also noticed that everyone was fixated on Jill and Derick having kids immediately, but I realized two things: one, she got pregnant riiiiiiiight after the wedding -- and the TH's were shot after the wedding, so the family probably already knew she was pregnant at that point and wanted to be just oh so precious and coy thinking they look like they "called it." Two, this family is all about breeding so it's the first thing they all think of.

Just once though, I wish someone would say "yay that they are married! I really hope they take some time together to travel/learn/have a hobby before they start a family." Never gonna happen. It would be interesting to see if the baby baby baby talk is the same around Jessa's wedding.

The THs were absolutely shot after the wedding.  But TLC hasn't heard about changing the wardobe when you're supposed to be shooting things at different times.  Um-day.

I haven't watched this yet, but as much as I dislike the Roloffs, the son's wedding was rustic-done-right and probably the nicest wedding I've ever seen on TV....and it was ONE episode and it was aired a mere week and a half after the actual event. C'mon TLC....you can do it.

I agree. I thought the Roloff was very nicely done and I enjoyed watching it. I did not think I was going to, but I did. I thought that wedding was very Jeremy and Audrey. That it fit their personalities. Jill and Derick's wedding seemed very generic with some Pinterest ideas thrown in. 

When Jim Bob was informing Michele about Derick's mother, did she have a Coach bag in her hand? Or was it one that looks like a Coach bag but really isn't? Of course I was half watching so I probably did not see it clearly at all.

Edited by Misslindsey
  • Love 1

Josh is just an ungrateful bitch

as well as a jealous one too. I bet Boob is working on a spin off for his Jilly Muffin were Josh is an afterthought now a days. Sucks to be you Josh.

Edited by Fuzzysox

The 200K is what Boob SAVED by going the cheapass route.

Here is my estimate:

Attendants dresses $20 x 6  = 120

Root beer floats 3,000 @ 50cents = $1,500

Pickles $300

Cupcakes (prob donated by some obsessed fan) $0

Wedding cake  $0 (BFF of the week donated it)

Music - free (family friend Erin)

Mother of the bride dress $61.20 (thanks to someone who posted the link above)

Grand total of $1,981.20. Boob probably wets himself every time he thinks of how much he saved.

Edited by NJRach
  • Love 7

When Jim Bob was informing Michele about Derick's mother, did she have a Coach bag in her hand? Or was it one that looks like a Coach bad but really isn't? Of course I was half watching so I probably did not see it clearly at all.

I saw that, it looked like a fake Coach bag.  The handles looked like plastic.

• Love 1

Jill should have called TFDW (I said this a while back too) at least no one is still talking about how cheap his wedding was. It was the opposite--very classy and put together. Even Prissy's bridemaid dresses screamed we did it right classy and modest.

I cringe for Jessa considering Boob wants to get rid of her ASAP how cringe worthy her dresses will be?

• Love 1

Was MEchelle's dress Kelly Bates' dress at one time????

http://s189314.gridserver.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/IMG_1924.jpg

I think they are the same dress but Kelly's looks more purple to me. MEchelle's just looks like a tin can. Lordy! Only $61 spent on her dress I wouldn't want it for $5 toooooooo u.g.l.y.

And once again look at how pretty Famy looks. Her hair is up, she looks nice and clean and probably wore shoes! Go Famy! 

• Love 1

There is no way the wedding cost 200K. Maybe 2K if that. 

The 200K is what Boob SAVED by going the cheapass route.

Here is my estimate:

Attendants dresses $20 x 6  = 120

Root beer floats 3,000 @ 50cents = $1,500

Pickles $300

Cupcakes (prob donated by some obsessed fan) $0

Wedding cake  $0 (BFF of the week donated it)

Music - free (family friend Erin)

Mother of the bride dress $61.20 (thanks to someone who posted the link above)

Grand total of $1,981.20. Boob probably wets himself every time he thinks of how much he saved.

I could believe it would cost more than 2 thousand if they had paid for it. Like the retail price is much higher and the cost to throw yourself this wedding is valued at, but what they actually paid for was much less. Especially in terms of labor. They could have spent more if they had to pay all those volunteers.

I believe they paid  to rent a special freezer for the root beer floats. The freezer didn't look like it was already in the space, but custom built to hold individual cups.

I would add the money to buy suits for the men and boys and the outfits for the little girls. Plus those shoes! (:

Possibly they paid the officiant for his time.  Also the special marriage license might cost more.

But I agree 200,000 dollars cost a bit much. Unless they paid for everyone's airline fare, which I find very hard to believe. 

I'm a short, busty woman also and tried on that dress when it first came out.  It isn't quite as bad in other colors, but one glance in the mirror was enough for me to go looking for a less busy sleeker dress.  Seeing Michelle makes me so glad I settled on a skimming lace plum number.  It was perfectly modest with a high enough neckline, sleeves, and below the knee.  I think Michelle would have looked 100 times better in something like that. Mine was also for a daughter's wedding. Either she zero fashion sense or she wanted to look foolish.

• Love 2

I didn't get the impression Josh was jealous, I got the impression he wanted to kiss his wife because it was a happy day! I am sure many other guests kissed their sweeties too.

No wonder Brides get so stressed out nowadays. They can't please anyone. If they served steak, it was rubbery. Or they forgot they had vegan friends. Or, or, or... yikes.

• Love 5

One last point I'll make -- there are some who consider a church to be a very holy and sacred space -- you see it in the choice of words used to describe it.  Words like "sanctuary" and "nave" and other language.  But many Americans do not consider the physical space to be that particularly sacred - it is the people within it that are important, and you see that in their language - words like "worship center" or even "auditorium" are used.  There has ALWAYS been an American religious strain that has been informal, loud, and non-traditional in their worship -- even considered to be "profane" by the churches who practice high church "sacred" rites.  These are religions who are often accused of making a spectacle out of services in some way, who do not dress appropriately, who do not act the right way -- all things that Jill and her family are being accused of being here.  This goes back to frontier times, when Presbyterian and Episcopal ministers would be shocked by how people worshiped from the Appalachian mountains on.  It's the reason you see so many Baptist and Methodist churches in the south -- the churches that required formal worship styles and educated clergy simply couldn't keep up with the migration patterns and who the people they were being sent to serve were.

I recently went to church with a friend.  I felt so out of place!  The church bought an old elementary school and the auditorium is now the sanctuary.  They have keyboards, electric guitars and drums.  I grew up in a very traditional, stained glass, pipe organ church.  It felt wrong to see people in casual clothes, jeans, t-shirts and sandals in church.  In my day it was a really big deal when women were allowed to wear dress pants to church. Once I got used to it I kind of liked my friends church. It looked very much like the church Jill and Derek married in. 

If Jill and Derek are happy and had the wedding they wanted then it's all good to me.  As to barefoot brides, look in any Romantic Cottage or Country decorating magazine and you will see lots of weddings with barefoot brides.  Not my thing, but to each their own.  When I got married years ago my dress was an off the rack Gunne Sax dress (showing my age!) and the bridesmaids from the sale rack at Mervyns.   We had a friends garage band play.  My parents couldn't afford alcohol and cold cuts so the groomsmen took up a collection at the reception and went out and brought back cheap beer.  It was so much fun!  

Just to show I can snark with the cool kids and stay on point.  Michelle looked like bride of the Tin Man in that dress!  

Edited by beagletime
  • Love 3

If I'm not mistaken and IIRC I thought I saw a pop-up that said it will cost JB $200K after all his daughters are married.

Ahh ok this makes way more sense. I was thinking there is NO way that wedding cost anywhere close to $200k, but I can see where they maybe got that figure for all the daughters and ET mistakenly used it just for Jill's wedding. Although really, do we think it's going to cost him $200k for all of his daughters to get married?  Even with inflation by the time Josie's old enough to marry, I seriously doubt it'll be anything close to $200k for all of them.

I only saw a glimpse of Michelle's dress and it looked more purple to me.  I was trying to figure out why everyone was talking about a grey dress lol

And I hate to defend her.. but I went "mother of the groom" dress shopping with my mom for my brother's wedding.  My brother got married in June, I think my mom bought her dress about a month before.. we went to so many stores... and my mom is like a freaking twig and can wear anything.  My brother's wedding colors were coral and grey. I wanted my mom in a nice springtime color but there was NOTHING.  She ended up in a grey dress (and she looked wonderful)  but I was shocked at how limited the options were coming into spring.  There's a lot of dresses out there and a lot are pretty hideous.  Add in Michelle's size and she likely has very limited options. 

Ever since my friends have been getting married after college, you always have a 'first look'.  Mainly because photos are now done before the wedding.

At my brother's wedding no one could watch it... and they did it outside.  We were all shoved to the very front of the building and had to turn out backs as my brother's now-wife walked outside so that no one would see her. It was ridiculous.

Josh is not my favorite person, but I want to defend him a little. I don't think he felt this wedding was much nicer and more lux than his. I thought what he was getting at was the difference in attitude from his parents. His parents seemed like they wanted to be rid of him, but they can't bear to let Jill go. To me, it was more about feelings and getting recognition from his parents. I felt Jim Bob especially seemed to be sadder about Jill getting married with his dragging out "I'm giving up my baby daughter."  (And boy did that annoy me. (One minute she's his baby and the next she's looking forward to her wedding night.)  If it's gender related, Michelle didn't have equally sentimental thoughts about Josh leaving. (Leave and cleave!)

Anyway Jim Bob and Michelle seemed sadder to "lose" Jill than Josh something I could see possibly being true. On the other hand, it may be affected by  how helpful she is and  their "new season of life".   On the other hand, they bounced back at the end of the episode and Jim Bobs "2 down, 17 to go" seemed keeping in the spirit with leave and cleave so maybe after seeing the episode Josh may feel better. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 5

I think Michelle is a stone cold bitch.

I'm not even talking about her lack of tears or emotion at her daughters wedding. She just seems to be really indifferent toward her children.

• Love 2

(Shamefaced) I will admit, at the last Fundy wedding my husband and I attended - which was about the same time as Jill's - the Bride and Groom did ask for all of the married couples to kiss as their names were called out. (A Pinterest game to "inspire the bride and groom" and obviously a much smaller wedding.)

Anyway, every single couple did a quick peck and my husband and I winked and said "we'd show them how it's done."

No doubt we looked like Josh and Anna, and I have no doubt a number of people made comments about how inappropriate we were, for all we've been married over 20 years!

I'm wondering if the wedding expenses included what looked like the real reception back at the Duggars home. That was probably 300 people (estimating from the episode of Josiah's graduation party) and that did look to include real food for their real friends who had travelled to see the family, not just fans and open church type guests.

That would have cost a pretty decent sum - that's the size of most weddings, after all.

• Love 2

Ahh ok this makes way more sense. I was thinking there is NO way that wedding cost anywhere close to $200k, but I can see where they maybe got that figure for all the daughters and ET mistakenly used it just for Jill's wedding. Although really, do we think it's going to cost him $200k for all of his daughters to get married?  Even with inflation by the time Josie's old enough to marry, I seriously doubt it'll be anything close to $200k for all of them.

I was married 30+ years ago and can't fathom how much weddings cost nowadays but seeing how light fares are in the fundie world it may not cost JB that amount of money after and if all girls are married.

Josh is not my favorite person, but I want to defend him a little. I don't think he felt this wedding was much nicer and more lux than his. I thought what he was getting the difference in attitude from his parents. His parents  seemed  like they wanted to be rid of him, but they can't bear to let Jill go. To me, it was more about feelings and getting recognition from his parents. I felt Jim Bob especially seemed to be sadder about Jill getting married with his dragging out "I'm giving up my baby daughter."  (And boy did that annoy me. (One minute she's his baby and the next she's looking forward to her wedding night.)  If it's gender related, Michelle didn't have equally sentimental thoughts about Josh leaving. (Leave and cleave!)

Anyway Jim Bob and Michelle seemed sadder to "lose" Jill than Josh something I could see possibly being true. On the other hand, it may be affected by  how helpful she is and  their "new season of life".   On the other hand, they bounced back at the end of the episode and Jim Bobs "2 down, 17 to go" seemed keeping in the spirit with leave and cleave so maybe after seeing the episode Josh may feel better. 

I don''t think Josh felt that way either.  I actually liked Josh a little bit after his TH about how hard it must be for Derick to be happy (the wedding) and sad (his mother's illness) at the same time and he went on and said more but I thought what he said was very nice.

(Shamefaced) I will admit, at the last Fundy wedding my husband and I attended - which was about the same time as Jill's - the Bride and Groom did ask for all of the married couples to kiss as their names were called out. (A Pinterest game to "inspire the bride and groom" and obviously a much smaller wedding.)

Anyway, every single couple did a quick peck and my husband and I winked and said "we'd show them how it's done."

No doubt we looked like Josh and Anna, and I have no doubt a number of people made comments about how inappropriate we were, for all we've been married over 20 years!

I'm wondering if the wedding expenses included what looked like the real reception back at the Duggars home. That was probably 300 people (estimating from the episode of Josiah's graduation party) and that did look to include real food for their real friends who had travelled to see the family, not just fans and open church type guests.

That would have cost a pretty decent sum - that's the size of most weddings, after all.

Ahhhh, I forgot about the reception at the Duggar home.  Yes, that added to the expense and JB and Mechelle have another one coming up in a few days.

• Love 3

When I got married years ago my dress was an off the rack Gunne Sax dress (showing my age!) and the bridesmaids from the sale rack at Mervyns.  

Oh my gosh, I forgot all about Gunne Sax dresses... now I see boho adaptations. Gonna have to google and see if they're still around.

Pinterest shows the barefoot bride look. I can't escape wedding pins, they're in the general feed.

Ahhhh, I forgot about the reception at the Duggar home.  Yes, that added to the expense and JB and Mechelle have another one coming up in a few days.

Even so, it's not like they had the private party professionally catered or served expensive food. Jana probably threw some frozen Stouffer's lasagnas in the oven and called it a day. If they spent over $500 on the private reception, I'd be shocked.

In contrast, the food at the rehearsal dinner looked pretty decent, but Cathy was the one who footed the bill for that, so no big surprise.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 2

So much has already been said, but some things

1. The first Kiss...I think Derrick did the dip away from the camera deliberately so TLC and all of America couldn't actually see it on film. It was his FU to JIm Bob and Michelle and it made me respect him more. The Duggars go on so much about the damned side hugs and first kiss, he was probably sick of it..and I think secretly that

Jill was in on it too.

2. Glad there were only balloons and no trashing of Derrick's car.....was it his car or a rental? anyone know where they went on their honeymoon?

3. The wedding planner must have been pretty inexperienced if she let the ice cream melt. Also, I agree with everyone else a snack and punch reception

just looks cheap. But since they can't do any dancing, and no booze is served, I guess the reception is just an hour long affair after the ceremony. Still, no tables and chairs looks cheap.

4. I choked up seeing Cathy in the wheelchair with oxygen, but glad she made it to the wedding. I think we heard she is now in remission and it was announced only recently? I have a feeling Cathy's health may very well have led to Derrick and Jill getting pregnant right away, so Cathy could be there for her grandchild.

5. Jim Bob was over the top in his love and affection for Jill but I do think his feelings are real. You can never tell with Michelle.

6. I think Jana is quietly observing her sisters' courtships and marriages and will hold out until Jim Bob finds her a really spectacular guy. She isn't going to settle for the first one who shows interest, probably has actually turned down one or two already, off -camera.

• Love 5

I didn't get the impression Josh was jealous, I got the impression he wanted to kiss his wife because it was a happy day! I am sure many other guests kissed their sweeties too.

No wonder Brides get so stressed out nowadays. They can't please anyone. If they served steak, it was rubbery. Or they forgot they had vegan friends. Or, or, or... yikes.

Hee, so true. I remember having my parents and new in-laws over to open wedding presents and decided to serve the top of the cake and coffee. One person didn't want the cake because it was chocolate, one wanted decaf but I only had favored and they didn't want flavored, I had raw sugar and stevia but one wanted the blue packet stuff, the coffee was from Starbucks but someone didn't like that brand because it has a burnt taste. I cracked open a bottle of champagne and gave up. I couldn't make 6 people happy so props to Jill and her just letting it all just happen and staying as stress free as possible.

• Love 4

Barefoot brides are fine as long as the setting suggests it.  This was not the venue for bare feet.  A tac, a pin, a rock, should could have stepped on anything and ruined the entire day.  I can't imagine she left her wedding and the first thing she did at the "honeymoon suite" was soak her feet and scrub the bottoms.  Black and dirty feet sound nasty on your first night of marriage.

But in a church - absolutely not. NO shoes and NO sunglasses (Josh) is a big NO-NO.

• Love 3

In contrast, the food at the rehearsal dinner looked pretty decent, but Cathy was the one who footed the bill for that, so no big surprise.

Agree.  I loved that they included Derick's dad's favorite bbq recipe.

• Love 9

Michelle's dress WAS hideous, but I do think that the Navy blue was too dark for a June wedding. Just my two cents.

I'm wondering if she wore something that was already in her closet. Given her illness, I'm guessing she wouldn't have been able to go shopping for a dress.

Absolom, good points. Michelle is what, 5'2" or 5'3" at most? The dress was way too busy and overwhelmed her, she looked lost in it. She would have done much better with something simpler.

• Love 2
And that was Erin Bates beating the living daylights out of that piano...  Something definitely went wrong between these two families at some point

Okay, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I thought the piano playing was atrocious. I wondered if maybe it was a bad sound system, or the acoustics.....but maybe it was just revenge music. 

Jordyn is Jessa's buddy.

Oh yea, I know. But Jill has definitely been involved in all of their lives, I'm sure. Jordyn looked hopelessly miserable that Jill was leaving the nest.

-Why did he have to be up there to announce 'you may now kiss your bride?' The creepiness will never end.

It's like JB has to make sure people know he's in charge of his daughters' virtues. I wouldn't be surprised if he stood in the bedroom and told Derick, "You may now deflower my daughter". He is unnaturally all up in their Koolaid. 

• Love 15

I was rather shocked at Jill's lack of emotion, other than apparently feeling like she just won the lottery.  Thought she was supposed to be "so compassionate," yet she evidenced no empathy whatsoever toward the tears of her sisters nor father nor her future mother-in-law's plight nor her future husband's feelings in announcing that the MIL may not be with them much longer.  Joy weeps: Jill grins.  Pops wells up: Jill grins.  Kathy sits in wheelchair with oxygen prongs looking frail: Jill grins...  Just like the cat that swallowed the canary, that one...

• Love 4