Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Chapter Two

Jane's mom pressures her to sue her doctor. Meanwhile, Jane keeps crossing paths with Rafael; jealousy propels Michael to seek out Petra as an ally; and Jane's father wants to meet her, but Xiomara is not ready for this yet.

Another great episode

The snarky narrator and caption writer (way to make hugs and kisses [xoxo] triple X rated) is cracking me up and has driven me straight into telenovella territory.  I got to OMG Jane and Rafael may have the same father way before they did the Rafael's dad likes fishing to Jane's dad in a boat filming segue.  Thankfully, not true.

I wasn't sure about Jane's Dad in the pilot but he's hysterical.  His scream and dive after the leopard got free..  Too many phones, best way to reach him is twitter.  He's this weird combination of sweet, supportive egomaniac.

There is really too much to comment on.  Zaz impaled.

• Love 7

Dang, this really is a telenovela. That last scene...

"I'm happy to represent the male point of view."
"Ooh, I wouldn't lead with that, because that's not gonna go over well in our meetings." LMAO, I love Jane.

I'm not sure how I feel about the voiceovers, but I love the irreverent typing. "X! X! X! O! O! O!" Heh. 

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 9

Wow, that ending was dark! I wasn't expecting that at all, man. But thinking back on the narrator's comment that there would be "no later" for Petra and Saz... wow. I also wasn't expecting the twist with the sister's ex-lover being her stepmother but then again, I've never watched a telenovela, lol.

I love the snarky narrator, too. "Michael's not a virgin, an important note. Well, important to him. I don't really care." or something like that. Heh!

Really loving this show, I'm glad I decided to throw it on my DVR schedule.

• Love 11

I was both anticipating and dreading this episode tonight.  I was anticipating it because I really enjoyed the pilot and thought I could really love the show. I was dreading it out of fear that it'd be a let down.  The second ep was as strong, if not stronger, to me than the first so it looks like a show that I will end up loving.  I just hope the ratings stay strong. 

I think the voiceovers in the beginning of the episode border on too much.  They lessened as the episode wore on but I do think they could trim them by about 25%.  For instance, did we really need to hear "there would be no later...for them" when Petra left Zaz?  But other times, they are just right.  I pretty much universally love the titles/writing that appears on the screen, though. 

I'm glad to see that the show focused more on the heart than the camp in this episode. I don't mind camp but it's tiresome without genuine emotion.  I felt I got that from almost everyone tonight, including the characters who were rather one-dimensional last week.  I also liked the male characters better in this episode than the last. Rafael, especially, seemed to have more depth. I started to see Jane having chemistry with her romantic interests. 

I can't believe my favorite new show this year is on the CW. 

• Love 6

So anyone else thinking Michael killed Saz?

I loved this week's episode. The twist with the stepmom was great.

Loving Jane/Abuela/Xiomara's scenes.

I want to know how Michael and Petra know each other! And what happened to her mom.

• Love 2

I love this show. Its totally insane and I cant get enough of it. I feel like they should install a dundunDUN machine for all these dramatic revelations, they just keep coming!

I normally don't like narrators very much, but this guy cracks me up. The part about Michael not being a virgin just cracked me up.

Please keep it up, show!

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 4

I want to know how Michael and Petra know each other! And what happened to her mom.

Michael is doing police surveillance on Saz who is suspected of having ties to drug dealer, el Hombre sin Rostro. Michael saw Petra fooling around with Saz and the female cop was able to identify her this week. He told Petra that he spotted her with Saz at the hotel but didn't reveal the police investigation to her.

I know my telenovela's. Rafael's father was creepy as hell. He must be the drug dealer that the cops are looking for

• Love 5

Another great episode! Funny and adorable and fuzzy and CRAZY. Seriously, I don't remember the last time an hour of television could run through all those emotions.

The scene where Jane breaks down next to her mom was so great. A nice break in the midst of all the insanity. I love Jane, her mom and her grandma. They're awesome. And I'm glad Jane stood up to Michael, who is dangerously on the verge of becoming unlikeable.

I also love Jane's dad. He's so full of himself yet he's really nice somehow. I loved his line about how the world would have been deprived of his talent if he hadn't started acting. Also how he has too many phones and the best way to reach him is on twitter.

Holy crap, that ENDING. I had barely caught my breath from the Rose-is-Luisa's stepmother (which, ew) reveal when Saz was murdered.

• Love 4

So, I watched the second ep. Holy shit they are really going for the telenovela vibe aren't they? They should've just gone all out and given Petra's mom an eye patch, lol. I really, really, really could've done without Rose being married to Luisa's dad, though. The ew factor was too high and I am sick of the apparently unavoidable trope of the man in the middle of pretty much every lesbian couple on mainstream tv and mainstream movies.

• Love 1

I know my telenovela's. Rafael's father was creepy as hell. He must be the drug dealer that the cops are looking for

I'm actually betting on Petra's mother. Her incident (scars, wheelchar) must be the reason she's not been heard from for a while.

• Love 6

So, I watched the second ep. Holy shit they are really going for the telenovela vibe aren't they? They should've just gone all out and given Petra's mom an eye patch, lol. I really, really, really could've done without Rose being married to Luisa's dad, though. The ew factor was too high and I am sick of the apparently unavoidable trope of the man in the middle of pretty much every lesbian couple on mainstream tv and mainstream movies.

Who played Petra's mom? It looked like one of the later roommates from threes company. Is that dating me?

Yes this episode was great. Not ever watching a telenovella before I like the thick plot (a lot happened) and snarky narrator.  I was glad they didn't let the law suit drop.

• Love 3

Who played Petra's mom? It looked like one of the later roommates from threes company. Is that dating me?

You're right.  It's Priscilla Barnes who played the last blonde roommate, Terry.  I liked Terry so I was thrilled to see Priscilla here.

• Love 3

Oh my God! I never thought of that but you are probably right. 

really, really, really could've done without Rose being married to Luisa's dad, though. The ew factor was too high and I am sick of the apparently unavoidable trope of the man in the middle of pretty much every lesbian couple on mainstream tv and mainstream movies.

You know I normally agree with you. It usually annoys me too but this was one instance where that reveal made me laugh out loud. This show really is going for the telenovela/soap opera shock value. This would have been a typical storyline on any soap. I guess it's good that they have given Rose another tie to another character which means she could possibly stick around longer. I like Rose and Luisa's chemistry. I'm rooting for them. I'm assuming that Rose and Luisa were involved prior to her marrying Luisa's father and that she married him for his money. That was certainly what Luisa implied in her office, which Rose felt insulted by but is probably the truth. There is no way that dad isn't Sin Rostro. 

I can't believe I almost passed on watching this show and dismissed it outright due to what channel it was on. This is my new favorite show of the season. Hopefully, every episode is as good as these two have been. 

Edited by Turkish
  • Love 1

This is my favorite show now. I liked this episode even more than the first one!

I'm shocked that Zaz was stabbed so soon. The plot is moving at a brisk pace. I love all the interwoven plots and connections and intrigues. It's what I love most about telenovelas and I'm glad to see that they are bringing that in and amping it up on this show.

I wasn't sure at first that I liked the idea of having a narrator, but that guy is a hoot. Loved his snark about Michael's non-virginity, and the comments and typeover in Luisa's and Rose's kissing scene.

Also loving Jane's dad. I've seen Jaime Camil act in many telenovelas, and he's always very funny. Can't wait to see more of him. His benign self-absorption is oddly endearing.

• Love 4

This is my favorite show now. I liked this episode even more than the first one!

This.

I haven't laughed out loud so much at a TV show in recent memory. And while I expected DaddyJane to be a villain, he is now pretty much my favorite character with his kindness, narcissism, and cowardice. MommyJane (Xiomara?) is my new hero.

• Love 3

So anyone else thinking Michael killed Saz?

I thought it might be Petra. I mean, when she tried to break it off he attacked her and was choking her. She played it off like it turned her on and she liked that he "fought for her", but I'm pretty sure that was just to extricate herself from a dangerous situation. (Which: way to keep a cool head in a crisis!) As it looks like she'd genuinely preferred staying with Rafael over Saz, was in a situation where she had to make that choice, and Saz would kill her for the choice she wanted to make, well, thing to do is kill him?

Or, if Serena is right:

I'm actually betting on Petra's mother. Her incident (scars, wheelchar) must be the reason she's not been heard from for a while.

then it was almost certainly Petra's mother.

Edited by Anisky
  • Love 2

I thought it might be Petra.

I tend to think the explanation of the telenovela villain that wore a patch all the time even though she wasn't blind was pointing at Petra always in a wheelchair but not paralyzed.  Petra is a good candidate for killer or Zas's Mafioso drug dealer contact or whatever.  I'm just wondering if its too obvious.

• Love 1

Color me intrigued... I've always wanted an english speaking telenovela.. and I've gotten my wish :)

I like that along with the twists at the end (guaranteed to keep you tuning in next week) that there were some nice character moments even with Petra!

• Love 4
I normally don't like narrators very much, but this guy cracks me up. The part about Michael not being a virgin just cracked me up.

Love him! He may be my favorite part of the show.

... okay, I looked him up. Anthony Mendez. Hasn't done much acting-wise, but I think his line readings here are great.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 1

I tend to think the explanation of the telenovela villain that wore a patch all the time even though she wasn't blind was pointing at Petra always in a wheelchair but not paralyzed.  Petra is a good candidate for killer or Zas's Mafioso drug dealer contact or whatever.  I'm just wondering if its too obvious.

That's a good guess but Petra is the wife and she can walk.  The woman in the wheelchair is Magda, Petra's mother.  I definitely think she has secrets. 

• Love 2

So much to love about this show.  I'm so glad I checked it out.  A couple of things I don't think I've seen mentioned yet: the fact that the grandmother completely understands English but only speaks in Spanish.  And I don't know if it was intentional, but sometime after the eye patch talk, in the beginning of the scene with Petra and Zazo scheming, the way the camera panned around her and there was a plant in front of her, and with the angle of the shot, a petal was covering one of her eyes, making it look for a moment like she did have an eye patch.  I could be reading too much into it, but with the cleverness of this show, I just wanted to put it out there.

And I think "Luisa, you aren't drinking, are you?" is going to become a running line in the show.

Also, 

Jane: I Googled you.

Rafael: That couldn't have gone well.

Michael: Jane doesn't have a father 

his brother: There's a story there

Michael: There's no story

Narrator: OK, here's the story

OK, I'll stop now

• Love 4

I wasn't sure where to put this, but I thought I might as well put it here.

So, random comment: I was looking for a season promo and in the one I found I noticed that it looks like they shot the abuela dialogue in English and in Spanish, but decided to make her speak Spanish only. In the show the abuela only speaks Spanish, but in the commercial both of her speaking scenes, the flower one and when she admits that she told Xiomara to have an abortion, are in English.

Also, when I rewatched the first scene to make sure that the abuela speaks Spanish, I noticed that the abuela, Xiomara and Jane all have the same last name.

Alba Gloriana Villanueva

Xiomara Gloriana Villanueva.

Jane Gloriana Villanueva

Assuming that they put thought into this beyond the joke they were going for, I think this means that the Abuela too got pregnant out of wedlock and that's why she insisted so much that Jane learned the importance of virginity. In latino cultures married women don't take their husband's last names, so if  Xiomara's dad had recognized her as his daughter or had been married to Alba, then Alba's last name should have a different than Xiomara's (Gloriana is a female middle name). But it seems like history repeated itself twice and with no father in the picture both Alba and Xiomara gave their daughter their own last name. I bet they will bring this up at some point.

• Love 3

I wasn't sure where to put this, but I thought I might as well put it here.

So, random comment: I was looking for a season promo and in the one I found I noticed that it looks like they shot the abuela dialogue in English and in Spanish, but decided to make her speak Spanish only. In the show the abuela only speaks Spanish, but in the commercial both of her speaking scenes, the flower one and when she admits that she told Xiomara to have an abortion, are in English.

Also, when I rewatched the first scene to make sure that the abuela speaks Spanish, I noticed that the abuela, Xiomara and Jane all have the same last name.

Alba Gloriana Villanueva

Xiomara Gloriana Villanueva.

Jane Gloriana Villanueva

Assuming that they put thought into this beyond the joke they were going for, I think this means that the Abuela too got pregnant out of wedlock and that's why she insisted so much that Jane learned the importance of virginity. In latino cultures married women don't take their husband's last names, so if  Xiomara's dad had recognized her as his daughter or had been married to Alba, then Alba's last name should have a different than Xiomara's (Gloriana is a female middle name). But it seems like history repeated itself twice and with no father in the picture both Alba and Xiomara gave their daughter their own last name. I bet they will bring this up at some point.

I was with you right up until "In Latino cultures married women don't take their husband's last names." In the US, where this show takes place, Latina women take their husbands' last names all the time, even in families that are largely Spanish-speaking, because that is the social and legal expectation here. Now, that doesn't necessarily mean you're wrong about Xiomara's father. In fact, the possibility that Alba got pregnant out of wedlock would go a long way toward explaining why she's so obsessive about preserving Jane's virginity. I just think it's too early to call this one.

Edited by La Tortuga
  • Love 2

That's definitely not true. I'm from South America and every woman in my family has taken her husband's last name. It also depends on a the status of the name. If they marry into a more prominent family, they usually drop their maiden name. If they come from a notable family they keep their own affixing it with the conjunction 'de' for example Ana Marquez de Castillo. Often times they keep accumulating all the noble names in their genealogy. If you looked at my mom's legal papers she has six names but since she lives in the US she goes by her first name and my father's last name just to simplify things. I'm not discounting the possibility that Alba also had Xiomara out of wedlock but I don't think them sharing a last name is indicative of that. It's probably just a convention they adopted because they live in Miami and that's how it's done in this country.

Edited by rho

That's definitely not true. I'm from South America and every woman in my family has taken her husband's last name. It also depends on a the status of the name. If they marry into a more prominent family, they usually drop their maiden name. If they come from a notable family they keep their own affixing it with the conjunction 'de' for example Ana Marquez de Castillo. Often times they keep accumulating all the noble names in their genealogy. If you looked at my mom's legal papers she has six names but since she lives in the US she goes by her first name and my father's last name just to simplify things. I'm discounting the possibility that Alba also had Xiomara out of wedlock but I don't think them sharing a last name is indicative of that. It's probably just a convention they adopted because they like in Miami and that's how it's done in this country.

Well, sorry for generalizing. I'm Caribbean (Puerto Rican) and I have never met a woman who took her husband's name after she married him. Not among the older women in my family, not among my contemporaries. Never. I thought it was like that in the other Latin American countries. I believe it's like that in Spain still.

• Love 2

I want to talk about why Rafael is essentially giving his blessing for Jane to sue his sister. It can't be solely because he likes Jane as a person and wants her to have compensation for having her life interrupted. I mean, yeah, he seems to like her and he hasn't once pressured her to do anything that would be detrimental to herself or the baby, but he could easily offer her an expense account or a direct payment and tell her it's the same as what he would offer a surrogate in a fertility arrangement. I think there's more going on here.

Facts as we know them:

• Rafael is aware that his shares in the hotel are the collateral for his sister's malpractice insurance, and that if the lawsuit is successful, he'll lose everything.
  • Rafael is also aware that his wife is trying to run down the clock on their prenuptial agreement so that she gets more of his assets in a divorce.
  • Rafael doesn't actually want to be married to Petra anymore.
  • Luisa is on Rafael's shit list.
  • Rafael believes that his father is coddling Luisa instead of requiring her to deal with the consequences of her professional negligence.
  • ETA: Prior to this incident, Rafael seems to have been the family screw-up.

I suspect that one of the reasons he is more than okay with Jane suing his sister and taking his hotel shares is because it will give Petra a financial incentive to divorce him. I also believe that if Rafael's business is hurt by Luisa's actions and the hotel itself becomes the subject of bad publicity by association, their father be upset about losing money and will start taking a stern approach with Luisa instead of acting as though her wrongs don't matter because "at least she isn't drinking."

Thoughts?

Edited by La Tortuga
  • Love 3

I thought he is simply trying to be a better person now. He understands why Jane feels she should sue, and doesn't want her to  not do it just because Luisa is his sister. He's angry at Luisa, too, and feels she deserves it.

I haven't gotten the impression that he cares too much about his hotel, honestly. I don't see him crying if he loses it and at least it wouldn't have been his fault so his father couldn't blame him for it.

• Love 4

Would he lose ALL his shares in the hotel? I guess it would depend what the settlement came to. I can imagine a situation where Jane gets a bunch of the shares and he still owns some too, so they are co-owners of the hotel. I wouldn't mind if Jane got some ownership of the hotel; that would be awesome. Does Rafael's father own most of the hotel? Do we know how much of it Rafael owns? I'm sure a hotel like that is valued at WAY more than one would realisitically get in a malpractice case. Not that realistic necessarily has anything to do with a telenovela plot.

I'm glad Jane ended up NOT quitting her job like Michael wanted. Besides the fact that she's established there and likes it, and also that Michael should get over himself, she is now pretty much guaranteed to be treated very well there. If she got a job at another hotel, she'd be just another employee, and a pregnant one who is the newest also. It would make her situation tougher.

It would be kind of fun if Raf lost all his shares to Jane so Petra got nothing in their divorce, and then eventually he and Jane got together so he could manage the hotel again (she could be the owner, but focus on her writing while he does the business stuff).

• Love 3

I love everything about this show.  It's fun, over the top and yet the actors don't over act, they have committed themselves fully to the material and the result is fantastic.  Well done CW, Arrow, The Flash and Jane.  

• Love 5

I mean, yeah, he seems to like her and he hasn't once pressured her to do anything that would be detrimental to herself or the baby, but he could easily offer her an expense account or a direct payment and tell her it's the same as what he would offer a surrogate in a fertility arrangement. I think there's more going on here.

He kind of try to make that arrangement when he offered her oney earlier in the episode.  He did it badly and I think she overreacted. 

I'm not sure why he's letting her sue his sister.  When one child is favored, I don't think a lawsuit would suddenly make the dad look twice at Luisa.  He is already looking past her indiscretions so I think he may look past a lawsuit as well.  I also wonder whether or not all of Rafael's money is in the hotel. The show is also making it seem like Jane needs to sue to get Luisa to lose her license.  I think licensing is separate from malpractice suits, even though they sometimes go together.  (i.e. malpractice causes someone to lose their license).

• Love 2

After that flashback where Jane sees Xiomara looking at El Presidente and commenting that he's attractive, I'm just glad we've established that Jane's dad knows what she looks like now.

• Love 3

Would he lose ALL his shares in the hotel? I guess it would depend what the settlement came to. I can imagine a situation where Jane gets a bunch of the shares and he still owns some too, so they are co-owners of the hotel. I wouldn't mind if Jane got some ownership of the hotel; that would be awesome.

The hotel is collateral for the insurance company.  I don't think Jane would get any shares.  Jane would get money and the insurance company would take and sell the hotel to recoup the payout.

I am in love with this show. So nice to see Ivonne Coll, who plays the abuela. She played Daphne's grandmother on Switched at Birth and apparently disappeared from there to take this job.

Yelled out loud when Luisa's lover was revealed to be her stepmother. Loved the leopard running loose through the studio. Jane is just terrific.

• Love 1

I am in love with this show. So nice to see Ivonne Coll, who plays the abuela. She played Daphne's grandmother on Switched at Birth and apparently disappeared from there to take this job.

Yelled out loud when Luisa's lover was revealed to be her stepmother. Loved the leopard running loose through the studio. Jane is just terrific.

Lmao she was also Santana's abuela in Glee.