Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Chapter Two

Dang, this really is a telenovela. That last scene...

"I'm happy to represent the male point of view."

"Ooh, I wouldn't lead with that, because that's not gonna go over well in our meetings." LMAO, I love Jane.

I'm not sure how I feel about the voiceovers, but I love the irreverent typing. "X! X! X! O! O! O!" Heh. 

Oh the voiceovers totally make the show, IMO.  On some shows a VO is just an intrusion.  Here its very much a way of setting a mood and reminding us of what this show is... I won't say "emulating", but "parodying" isn't 100% right either.  Drawing from but also gently mocking at the same time, maybe?

• Love 4

Ok, I thought I'd hate the voiceovers, but I LOVE them so much. I love the snark, and I love the foreshadows and blatant "Yeah, this is what's going to happen; this is what happened actually". It's surprisingly refreshing and it helps to make the voiceovers less frustrating.

I know Michael is frustrating, but I like that he has his own opinions, he's not afraid to share them but he's also willing to compromise. I'm aware something's going to happen between Michael and Jane that'll probably break them up, but I'm just going to enjoy him while I can. I like Rafael, but I like him as friends only with Jane. I'd actually be happy to see Rafael divorce his wife and stay single. 

Petra's mother is creepy. She's definitely up to something. I like Petra a little bit more now, mostly because of the narrator confirming that Petra actually might have feelings still for Rafael. 

Jane's dad cracks me up. I like Luisa and I like Rose as well, though the plot twist was....odd. 

• Love 1

I still really like it but I hate the predictable love triangle route it's going down. I know it's a televenova style but Jane taking her fiance he's nothing to worry about when she's eyefucking the baby daddy in seperate scenes makes me like her a little less.

Jane's dad is hilariously self-absorbed and in love with himself.

I love the voiceovers. They remind me of the narrator on Pushing Daisies but snarkier.

I thought that Petra's mom was played by Stifler's mom too so thanks to the people who figured out it's Terri from Three's Company!

I fully embrace the cheesy overdramatic stuff like Zaz being impaled by the marlin.

• Love 1

Disclaimer: Yup, I know that I'm responding to old posts but I'm catching up on this excellent show.

On 10/20/2014 at 7:01 PM, ParadoxLost said:

I wasn't sure about Jane's Dad in the pilot but he's hysterical.  His scream and dive after the leopard got free..  Too many phones, best way to reach him is twitter.  He's this weird combination of sweet, supportive egomaniac.

And he was so serious about his contact methods.

On 10/20/2014 at 8:38 PM, galax-arena said:

"I'm happy to represent the male point of view."

"Ooh, I wouldn't lead with that, because that's not gonna go over well in our meetings." LMAO, I love Jane.

That was funny, too.  Jane corrected his misstep and like a good ol' boy he straightened up and restated his goal: "Mostly here to watch and observe."

On 10/21/2014 at 2:48 AM, BooBear said:

Who played Petra's mom? It looked like one of the later roommates from threes company. Is that dating me?

On 10/21/2014 at 6:49 AM, Irlandesa said:

You're right.  It's Priscilla Barnes who played the last blonde roommate, Terry.  I liked Terry so I was thrilled to see Priscilla here.

When I saw the character in season 2 I thought she might have looked a little familiar but I certainly did not remember her with any certainty until I ran across these posts.  When I read Boobear's post I said, to myself, "Uhhh, yeah!  I think the character's name was Terry!"  Before that I hadn't even considered that I might have known that actress from anything.

Two of my other favorite scenes were: Xiomara rocking the mic at Jane's quinceañera with the embarrassing milkshake dance and the later revealed reason for it; Rogelio's "I want my daughter to have the pleasure of knowing me" and "I became an international star just a few years ago.  Imagine what a disservice it would have been to the world if I had given up."

• Love 2