Type keyword(s) to search

Pet(s): Photos & Discussion

• Start Topic

Selene has clearly out-grown this box, but still loves going in it

image.png.0e5ea6783a47d6befc0c7d8a5cfc22e1.png

She will be a year old April 6th, so almost a cat instead of kitten. But she loves rolling over and exposing her tummy.

Edited by luv2lurk
  • Like 8
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9
On 3/28/2023 at 4:47 PM, badhaggis said:

Princess Fuzzybutt felt I had slept long enough today. She sat on my chest and tapped my cheek with her paw this morning. That was a new one for us! 

Yesterday in a parking lot I heard a car horn honking.  I thought it was a car alarm and looked over.  Nope, it was a dog sitting in the driver's seat, rhythmically tapping the horn. She obviously felt her owner had been gone long enough!

• LOL 10
On 3/28/2023 at 4:47 PM, badhaggis said:

She sat on my chest and tapped my cheek with her paw this morning.

Riley does most of her eating overnight, getting up several times.  When it's cold, if she can't easily get back under the covers upon her return to bed, she will put a paw on my cheek and hold those cold paw pads there until I lift the blanket for her. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, Bastet said:

Riley does most of her eating overnight, getting up several times.  When it's cold, if she can't easily get back under the covers upon her return to bed, she will put a paw on my cheek and hold those cold paw pads there until I lift the blanket for her. 

That is so funny/adorable!

• Like 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, badhaggis said:

That is so funny/adorable!

It cracks me up, because it's not pawing at the covers or even tapping me, it's pressing and holding the coldest part of her to my face like "Feel!"

She also makes me laugh in the midst of my pain whenever I have to get up early; I work from home and start at 10:00, so don't get up until just before that -- unless I have to be in court or at a deposition, in which case it's usually an early morning for us.  When the alarm goes off at an unholy hour, she lets out this huge aggrieved sigh, like she's the one who has to get up, put on real clothes, and trudge downtown.

Edited by Bastet
  • LOL 14

My mom said that this past Saturday morning, our cat Lily woke her up at her usual feeding time, so my mom went out to get her some food...and then she said that Lily sat in the hallway and stared towards where I was sleeping, like she was waiting for me to get up soon, because on weekdays I get up not long after she gets fed to get ready for work.

But since it was Saturday, I didn't have to work, so after a while she apparently got bored waiting for me and just went and cuddled with my mom instead :D. 

• Like 2
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, secnarf said:

This is Ginny sleeping:

ScreenShot2023-04-02at8_47_40PM.thumb.png.6ab69bd9555147d90960a236d41044e0.png

And both Ginny and Luna yawning in unison:

ScreenShot2023-04-02at8_47_16PM.thumb.png.ce464670a6308b2cf46213a9ce5bb7da.png

They both love the waterproof cover I bought on Amazon to protect my bed from Ginny using it as a litterbox. It seems to have stopped the problem all on its own!

They look so comfortable and well adjusted!

• Like 3
  • Love 5

Daisy has really settled in. She gets her walks from my brother, hangs out with my step dad when he's working outside and spends night time with my mom. She loves getting her hair brushed and expects everyone to stop in and pet her when they come by my mom's room. The vet said she is in great health. 

Resized_20230331_133152.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Love 14
21 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

They look so comfortable and well adjusted!

Thank you! They have certainly come a long way from when I brought them home. Still skittish and sensitive, but we have made so much progress.

Tomorrow I will be bringing them to my parents' place for four days while my ceiling is being repaired (water leak from the balcony of the condo above mine). We'll see how that goes, and hopefully it doesn't undo the progress we have made.

Schitts Creek Reaction GIF by CBC

• Like 6
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I had a tabby cat called Daisy

So did I.  Somebody must have left her behind when they moved; she had a collar and ID tag, but the phone number had been disconnected.  She was the first of many abandoned cats to show up and announce "I live here now".

• Like 4
  • Love 5
53 minutes ago, Bastet said:

So did I.  Somebody must have left her behind when they moved; she had a collar and ID tag, but the phone number had been disconnected.  She was the first of many abandoned cats to show up and announce "I live here now".

I got mine when I worked at the vet. Some young girls brought her and her sister in and said their dad had threatened to drown them. I took Daisy and the younger vet took her sister.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1
(edited)

You know a cat has come to trust and accept you when you walk across the room and they stay put in your path so as to more effectively trip you, rather than dashing under the nearest piece of furniture for safety. 

IMG_1113.thumb.jpeg.1bc02ec8e5b3e642a7a8ce8b53980ba9.jpeg

Edited by SoMuchTV
Adding photographic evidence
  • Like 13
  • Wink 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 5

I just put a ham in the oven to heat up.  Both of my cats are on high alert because they know that there's a ham around here somewhere--they can smell it. They keep wandering around, sniffing.  I'm trying to watch TV, and they keep getting on the couch and in my lap--looking all around me and staring at me.  I guess they think I have it concealed on my person somewhere.  I keep telling them that they're going to have to be patient and that it's going to be a while.  I promised them that they will get ham soon, but I'm not sure they believe me.  Cats!

• LOL 16

My parents always have ham for Christmas dinner (Christmas Eve we usually have prime rib or beef tenderloin, but sometimes something different entirely, but Christmas is always ham) and I'm good with that, but also don't want to eat it more than that one time per year.  I'll bring a little bit of the leftovers home to make a stuffed pasta dish with, but when I had my late, great kitty Baxter, I had to bring home extra leftovers because he loved ham.  It's because he loved salt; he also wanted to share my olives (Kalamata were his favorite) and he'd lick peanut shells (no, they're not toxic to cats, even the peanuts themselves, never mind just licking the shell).  So, every once in a while, he got a sodium bomb treat.

Riley, like Maddie before her, has no interest in ham.  But every time I make a salmon dish, I have to set a little aside with no sauce, seasonings, etc. for her because if she's not already with me she'll come running as soon as she smells it.

• Like 3
  • Love 7
(edited)
7 hours ago, BooksRule said:

I just put a ham in the oven to heat up.  Both of my cats are on high alert because they know that there's a ham around here somewhere--they can smell it. They keep wandering around, sniffing.  I'm trying to watch TV, and they keep getting on the couch and in my lap--looking all around me and staring at me.  I guess they think I have it concealed on my person somewhere.  I keep telling them that they're going to have to be patient and that it's going to be a while.  I promised them that they will get ham soon, but I'm not sure they believe me.  Cats!

I had a cat that would rub on the oven door, and sit and stare at the turkey cooking. I've also had ham lovers. 😻

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • LOL 12

When we had our first cat, if my mom was making something with tuna in it, she would always set aside a tiny bite and put it with the cat food, because our cat would go absolutely BANANAS at the smell of tuna :D. She'd follow my mom around and meow like crazy at her. 

Our current cats don't really seem to have any interest in human food in general. They might sniff at the air if there's a particular smell that catches their attention, but otherwise, they just couldn't care less. 

But if one of us is opening a package of some kind of snacks, and the rustling of the package sounds similar to that of the bags that hold kitty treats, that will get their attention sometimes :D. With our first cat, if I opened up a bag of chocolate-covered pretzels to eat, she'd come running over and stare at me, 'cause she thought I might be opening up some kitty treats :D*.

*She also, no joke, would come running out into the living room the moment she heard even just the opening music for those Temptations cat treats commercials. And then she'd just sit there and stare at the TV the entire time the commercial played. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 11

This isn't really about a pet per se but Murphy, the bald eagle was sitting on a rock for weeks, trying to hatch it. The rescue finally put a male eaglet into his enclosure, in a little cage to see if they would bond. Today I learned they have bonded and here is Murphy feeding "his" baby.

image.png.2391e32f034240564cdd11163b7608f5.png

• Like 6
  • Love 17

Well, we had an eventful Easter. Ginny has had a worsening upper resp infection - started likely viral, with clear nasal secretions, and a bit of open-mouth breathing (but not the emergency kind, just trying to breathe around her stuffed nose!). I called my vet and was told to call back in 2 weeks if it was not better. Well, we didn’t make it to two weeks - she progressively got worse and very snotty, lethargic, and having difficulty eating because she couldn’t breathe through her nose. She lost 10% of her body weight. I ended up taking her to the emergency vet on Easter Sunday after work (while I was also on call, which didn’t go very well). She now has some antibiotics and recovery food and is doing better, but still not 100%, and the antibiotics are causing a recurrence of her diarrhea issues. Poor girl can’t seem to catch a break. 
I’m sure me taking the cats to my parents’ place for the week ahead of Easter didn’t help much, either. Luna especially is scared every time she seems me getting ready to leave that I will be taking her somewhere, and the girls haven’t cuddled together since we have been back. 

• Hugs 7
  • Sad 8
On 4/14/2023 at 6:04 PM, secnarf said:

Well, we had an eventful Easter. Ginny has had a worsening upper resp infection - started likely viral, with clear nasal secretions, and a bit of open-mouth breathing (but not the emergency kind, just trying to breathe around her stuffed nose!). I called my vet and was told to call back in 2 weeks if it was not better. Well, we didn’t make it to two weeks - she progressively got worse and very snotty, lethargic, and having difficulty eating because she couldn’t breathe through her nose. She lost 10% of her body weight. I ended up taking her to the emergency vet on Easter Sunday after work (while I was also on call, which didn’t go very well). She now has some antibiotics and recovery food and is doing better, but still not 100%, and the antibiotics are causing a recurrence of her diarrhea issues. Poor girl can’t seem to catch a break. 

I sympathize.  Two years ago, I had to take one of mine to the emergency vet during Easter weekend.  She wasn't using the litter box, so they had to check her for blockage.  She ended up okay (I think I posted about the 'poo-plosion' she had in one of these forums), but why do these things always happen when the regular vet is closed (less expensive vs. really, really expensive)?  Oh, well, we do what we need to for the babies.  My other cat has those respiratory issues now and then.  She's getting over one now, but it's taking it's time to go away.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, BooksRule said:

I sympathize.  Two years ago, I had to take one of mine to the emergency vet during Easter weekend.  She wasn't using the litter box, so they had to check her for blockage.  She ended up okay (I think I posted about the 'poo-plosion' she had in one of these forums), but why do these things always happen when the regular vet is closed (less expensive vs. really, really expensive)?  Oh, well, we do what we need to for the babies.  My other cat has those respiratory issues now and then.  She's getting over one now, but it's taking it's time to go away.

We had to put our Nathan to sleep on a Saturday at another vet's office because the vet he'd been seeing his whole eighteen year old life is closed Saturdays.

• Hugs 5
  • Sad 8
20 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

We had to put our Nathan to sleep on a Saturday at another vet's office because the vet he'd been seeing his whole eighteen year old life is closed Saturdays.

I'm sorry.  I worry that I'll be faced with that as well.  My two are 19 years old (sisters) and are getting so frail. 

• Hugs 5
  • Sad 3