Type keyword(s) to search

Pet(s): Photos & Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Yeah, whenever I have a cat who might need some anti-inflammatory help for whatever reason, I first see if fish oil added to the food will do the trick.  Not any pet-specific formula, just the fish oil capsules you'd get for yourself at the drugstore -- I poke a hole in a capsule, squeeze the appropriate amount onto the food, and then hold my nose and swallow the capsule with some water.

Better to treat orally than topically with cats, since putting something on their skin is just going to make them want to lick it off.

Growing up, we had a cat who in her later years would get hot spots on her skin that she would scratch so badly she'd open the skin.  Even with lots of tests and rule-out/rule-in experimentation, we never could find the source, so we unfortunately couldn't eliminate it and had to give her steroids when it would flare up, as she needed a strong anti-inflammatory.

Thanks for this info.  One of my cats has a couple of sore spots.  His annual checkup was last week and the vet thinks it's either allergies or an autoimmune issue.  He's on steroids now which seem to be helping but I'll definitely look into getting him some fish oil too.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Bastet said:

Yeah, whenever I have a cat who might need some anti-inflammatory help for whatever reason, I first see if fish oil added to the food will do the trick. 

I wonder if it helps with asthma as well? I have seen a YouTube video with a vet who claims fish oil and honey help with asthma. At least a bit. Asthma medication is essentially a steroid, i.e. an anti-inflammatory, right? 

While our training with the inhaler is getting better and she inhales at least 3-4 times out of the prescribed 10 times, I'm starting to think about what to do when I'm away. I spend 3 weeks in the summer in Germany to visit my parents and now I need to figure out how to get her to accept it from someone else. I'm still hoping she will not need it during the summer.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, supposebly said:

I wonder if it helps with asthma as well? I have seen a YouTube video with a vet who claims fish oil and honey help with asthma. At least a bit. Asthma medication is essentially a steroid, i.e. an anti-inflammatory, right? 

While our training with the inhaler is getting better and she inhales at least 3-4 times out of the prescribed 10 times, I'm starting to think about what to do when I'm away. I spend 3 weeks in the summer in Germany to visit my parents and now I need to figure out how to get her to accept it from someone else. I'm still hoping she will not need it during the summer.

Maybe there's a local vet tech who is looking for a little extra cash and has professional training?  With a couple of introductory sessions at your home and with the vet for oversight before you leave perhaps that would be a good solution.

• Like 4
47 minutes ago, Leeds said:

With a couple of introductory sessions at your home and with the vet for oversight before you leave perhaps that would be a good solution.

Thanks for the tip. Sigh. Those cats sure cost me a lot of money. I don't mind, I'll spend whatever is needed. Just noticing.

• Like 3
  • Love 3
On 2/14/2023 at 7:14 AM, supposebly said:

Thanks for the tip. Sigh. Those cats sure cost me a lot of money. I don't mind, I'll spend whatever is needed. Just noticing.

We got a rabbit when our kids were little because that was the biggest outlay of time and money my spouse and I were willing to undertake.  No puppy or kitten for us at that point.  The bugger still cost us a fortune during its two short years on this mortal coil.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 2/13/2023 at 5:04 PM, supposebly said:

I know very little about asthma, but, yes, a steroid is what's given to reduce the inflammation.  Fish oil would presumably be no substitute for the medication in a case where steroids are needed, but I can see why a vet would say it could be a supplement to treatment.  It certainly shouldn't hurt anything.

I've never heard honey recommended for a cat, though; I'll have to see if there are any veterinary articles about that.

• Like 4

That other cat is here again. His name is Leo and he is beautiful. He's young and he looks part Siamese but he has eyes the color of a pale sea in moonlight. I want him!  I need to make a sign.

Is this your cat?

Not anymore!

• Like 3
  • LOL 7
41 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

That other cat is here again. His name is Leo and he is beautiful. He's young and he looks part Siamese but he has eyes the color of a pale sea in moonlight. I want him!  I need to make a sign.

Is this your cat?

Not anymore!

This cat is fated to be your cat.  I have no doubt about that!

• Like 1
  • Love 4
14 minutes ago, Suzn said:

This cat is fated to be your cat.  I have no doubt about that!

I think the owners would object, after going so far as putting a GPS tracker on his collar along with their number and address.

There's a cat in my parents' neighborhood with one of those GPS trackers, and the last time he came to visit, he just waltzed into the house behind my dad.  He checked out the living room inch by inch, crawled inside a vest of my mom's that was lying on the couch, inspected the fireplace, got petted, and then asked to go back out.

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I think the owners would object, after going so far as putting a GPS tracker on his collar along with their number and address.

There's a cat in my parents' neighborhood with one of those GPS trackers, and the last time he came to visit, he just waltzed into the house behind my dad.  He checked out the living room inch by inch, crawled inside a vest of my mom's that was lying on the couch, inspected the fireplace, got petted, and then asked to go back out.

I guess but I hate the fact that they let  him wander around at all. I looked up their address on Google maps and they live about four blocks away and we live on a very busy street. Oh, he's so cute. I call to him through the window, "Hi Leo! Who's a good boy?" and he rubs his face against the glass. I would never steal him but I love to have him in for play dates with Elizabeth. She was trying to claw her way through the glass to get to him. But no hissing or growling or any hostility at all.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
48 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I guess but I hate the fact that they let  him wander around at all. I looked up their address on Google maps and they live about four blocks away and we live on a very busy street. Oh, he's so cute. I call to him through the window, "Hi Leo! Who's a good boy?" and he rubs his face against the glass. I would never steal him but I love to have him in for play dates with Elizabeth. She was trying to claw her way through the glass to get to him. But no hissing or growling or any hostility at all.

I'm very concerned for Leo's wellbeing.  I can't/wouldn't tell you what to do but maybe something could be worked out.  I think he has selected you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I want to call his people but I'm afraid I'd read them out.

You never know.  When I was working on my house before moving in, a cat kept coming to visit.  I found out from my next door neighbors he visited them, too.  I called the number on his tag and she turned out to be a great owner doing the best she could with a cat who got so stressed out he got ill if she tried to keep him in during the day.  He always came home before dark and spent the night inside, and he'd spend much of the day on his own patio, but he also had about four houses he visited.

I used to let him come in the house with me while I was working (one time I had the door open, fell asleep in a chair after eating lunch, and woke up with him curled up at my hip), so he was bummed when I moved in and wouldn't let him in anymore since my cats lived there.  But I'd always go hang out with him in the backyard when he showed up.   He was a sweetheart.

Years later, when he had to be put to sleep, the owner called all of us he visited to let us know, so we wouldn't worry when he didn't show up.

(There was another cat who came around, sweet as pie to me, but would hiss and howl at my cats through the glass door.  Hello, dude, they live here.  I cuddled with him in the backyard, too.  His owners never called me back, so I didn't know his circumstances, but he lived a long time so I doubt he was outdoor-only.  I called him Jingle Kitty because his tag had no name on it and he wore a bell.  After many years, he stopped coming by, and I figured he was gone.  Then a few years after that, I heard a bell.  Thinking no way, I went out to look, and it was him!  I never saw him again after that day, so I think he came to say goodbye.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 1
  • Love 5
21 minutes ago, Bastet said:

You never know.  When I was working on my house before moving in, a cat kept coming to visit.  I found out from my next door neighbors he visited them, too.  I the number on his tag and she turned out to be a great owner doing the best she could with a cat who got so stressed out he got ill if she tried to keep him in during the day.  He always came home before dark and spent the night inside, and he'd spend much of the day on his own patio, but he also had about four houses he visited.

I used to let him come in the house with me while I was working (one time I had the door open, fell asleep in a chair after eating lunch, and woke up with him curled up at my hip), so he was bummed when I moved in and wouldn't let him in anymore since my cats lived there.  But I'd always go hang out with him in the backyard when he showed up.   He was a sweetheart.

Years later, when he had to be put to sleep, the owner called all of us he visited to let us know, so we wouldn't worry when he didn't show up.

(There was another cat who came around for years, sweet as pie to me, but would hiss and howl at my cats through the glass door.  Hello, dude, they live here.  I cuddled with him in the backyard, too.  His owners never called me back, so I never knew his story, but he lived a long time.  I called him Jingle Kitty because his tag had no name on it and he wore a bell.  After many years, he stopped coming by, and I figured he was gone.  Then a few years after that, I heard a bell.  Thinking no way, I went out to look, and it was him!  I never saw him again after that day, so I think he came to say goodbye.)

That's lovely. I'm glad to hear there is a possbility the owners are concientious. I'm going to let him in next time he comes but my DH will have to be here because I know if I open the door, she'll be out like a shot. I need someone to put her in the bedroom or something.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Like 3
16 hours ago, praeceptrix said:

This one made me cry ugly, but also laugh in recognition. 

Oh, holy shit, the part about only once she knew he was gone did she let out the raging river of loss?!  Yes, that's it.  Every pet parent who's summoned a power they didn't know they had to hold back and keep those final moments of awareness about love and gratitude and "It'll be okay", and then just exploded with the devastation after that final injection -- she speaks for us.

And then "You puked on everything I ever loved -- little shit"?  Ha!!

The part about not believing he could be dying, when he still did X, Y, and Z, and then realizing he was hanging on for her and she couldn't let him do that anymore -- that was me with Maddie.  I burst into big ugly tears again.

Some things are dog- or cat-specific, but that Pickle was a dog and all my departed beloveds were cats made not a whit of difference in this (hey, we all put their shit in bags).  Thanks for posting it, and I recommend everyone watch it.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
21 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Oh, holy shit, the part about only once she knew he was gone did she let out the raging river of loss?!  Yes, that's it.  Every pet parent who's summoned a power they didn't know they had to hold back and keep those final moments of awareness about love and gratitude and "It'll be okay", and then just exploded with the devastation after that final injection -- she speaks for us.

And then "You puked on everything I ever loved -- little shit"?  Ha!!

The part about not believing he could be dying, when he still did X, Y, and Z, and then realizing he was hanging on for her and she couldn't let him do that anymore -- that was me with Maddie.  I burst into big ugly tears again.

Some things are dog- or cat-specific, but that Pickle was a dog and all my departed beloveds were cats made not a whit of difference in this (hey, we all put their shit in bags).  Thanks for posting it, and I recommend everyone watch it.

Too soon for me. 

• Hugs 9
6 hours ago, EighteenTwelve said:

Never trust a smiling cat, even if she's asleep.  And definitely never trust two simultaneously smiling cats.

smiling.jpg

I love those smiling faces! 😸  Is the kitty on the left a dark ginger?

• Like 3
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, EighteenTwelve said:

@Suzn, she's actually a very dark orange tuxedo tabby with four white feet. 

She's a beautiful girl, as is her companion.  Such a beautiful color.

• Like 7

I'm still not really ready to talk much. I've vented to friends, and panicked for days. I was already in a deep depression, and then a few weeks ago, my vet said that my youngest cat might have FIP. Might. They didn't tell me anything else, and I had to wait for test results to be emailed to me, to know that he has impaired kidney function. I really think they back some things, because she hesitated to run more tests, after the bill was up a few hundred. My dad told her we needed the tests done, so she did, but she only prescribed pain medicine for mouth sores, and didn't say anything else. She didn't say much in our dog's case, either, and I've wondered if she didn't give us more options, because she assumed we wouldn't be able to afford them (or wouldn't try - but we absolutely would have tried).

My little one went downhill over the weekend, and I followed through on information about a group called FIP warriors. We might be getting pills to get him started on a potential treatment. It's legal for me to give it to him, but not for vets to use it, because the company hasn't opened it up for use on animals. A lot of cats have been helped, apparently, but it isn't 100% (things rarely are). So, I'm hoping I haven't waited too long. My contact (I feel like I've joined the CIA - they're all business, and straight to the point) has a cat who was cured with the treatment. I panicked over the idea of injections, just because I can't hold him for long - he loves me, but won't let me pick him up. The vet had to sedate him, in order to check him out at all, and they forgot to weigh him, so guess what got me and my dad scratched up this afternoon? Yeah. We didn't get an exact weight, I have a pet scale arriving tomorrow night. If I'd known about all of this, I would have ordered it a few weeks ago, instead of some seeds for my garden. It's always something, and I'm moving between denial and extreme anxiety. They realized I couldn't handle injections with him (or maybe at all), so we're trying to the pills. I think. If she can locate some. 

I didn't know if I would be allowed to talk about this here, and I also just haven't felt up to it. Just not up to feeling exposed in any way, saving my energy for him. the treatments are expensive, but they try to find a way to help, so I don't know how much exactly, but we'll see how it goes. I was terrified of injections, but willing to try to learn for him. Now I get to figure out how to get this down him. The pill can't be crushed. Vet appointment is Saturday - that's the closest time she had available, which has been driving me crazy, but they are busy. 

UC Davis is apparently doing a study on treatments for FIP, and the first cat cured by FIP, has a website. 

I'm also wondering if Pushy had dry FIP, and that's what took him from us suddenly, last July. :(

• Hugs 15
8 minutes ago, Anela said:

I'm still not really ready to talk much. I've vented to friends, and panicked for days. I was already in a deep depression, and then a few weeks ago, my vet said that my youngest cat might have FIP. Might. They didn't tell me anything else, and I had to wait for test results to be emailed to me, to know that he has impaired kidney function. I really think they back some things, because she hesitated to run more tests, after the bill was up a few hundred. My dad told her we needed the tests done, so she did, but she only prescribed pain medicine for mouth sores, and didn't say anything else. She didn't say much in our dog's case, either, and I've wondered if she didn't give us more options, because she assumed we wouldn't be able to afford them (or wouldn't try - but we absolutely would have tried).

My little one went downhill over the weekend, and I followed through on information about a group called FIP warriors. We might be getting pills to get him started on a potential treatment. It's legal for me to give it to him, but not for vets to use it, because the company hasn't opened it up for use on animals. A lot of cats have been helped, apparently, but it isn't 100% (things rarely are). So, I'm hoping I haven't waited too long. My contact (I feel like I've joined the CIA - they're all business, and straight to the point) has a cat who was cured with the treatment. I panicked over the idea of injections, just because I can't hold him for long - he loves me, but won't let me pick him up. The vet had to sedate him, in order to check him out at all, and they forgot to weigh him, so guess what got me and my dad scratched up this afternoon? Yeah. We didn't get an exact weight, I have a pet scale arriving tomorrow night. If I'd known about all of this, I would have ordered it a few weeks ago, instead of some seeds for my garden. It's always something, and I'm moving between denial and extreme anxiety. They realized I couldn't handle injections with him (or maybe at all), so we're trying to the pills. I think. If she can locate some. 

I didn't know if I would be allowed to talk about this here, and I also just haven't felt up to it. Just not up to feeling exposed in any way, saving my energy for him. the treatments are expensive, but they try to find a way to help, so I don't know how much exactly, but we'll see how it goes. I was terrified of injections, but willing to try to learn for him. Now I get to figure out how to get this down him. The pill can't be crushed. Vet appointment is Saturday - that's the closest time she had available, which has been driving me crazy, but they are busy. 

UC Davis is apparently doing a study on treatments for FIP, and the first cat cured by FIP, has a website. 

I'm also wondering if Pushy had dry FIP, and that's what took him from us suddenly, last July. :(

I'm so sorry you and your little one  going through this. Please accept internet hugs from a friend who cares.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
16 minutes ago, Anela said:

my vet said that my youngest cat might have FIP. Might.

That's because none of the available tests give a 100% definitive result.

I'm very sorry to hear this, but I'm at least glad it's happening when there is a possible treatment (which was not the case until recently).  Is your cat thought to have the "wet" (effusive) or "dry" (non-effusive) form of FIP?  I've read very little about the treatment since it hasn't yet been approved and I am - <knock on wood> - not personally affected at this time, but my understanding is there is definitely cause for cautious optimism, especially with the wet version.

I'm glad you've found a community of owners and are getting good information there, and I hope you're able to have a good conversation with your vet based on what you've learned.

Most of all, best wishes to your cat!  And to you, as I know this is so overwhelming as to drain your very soul. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 7
On 2/4/2023 at 12:22 PM, peacheslatour said:

Thank you friends. Elizabeth has been sitting, staring at the front door like she expects him to come back. 😥

Oh, that's so hard when that happens.  I'm just catching up with this now. 

• Hugs 1
  • Sad 3
  • Thanks 2

Really sorry @Anela, to read about your troubles with the pets. I'm no help as I know nothing about FIV, but please know that I'm focusing good mojo in your direction. 

You can only do what you can do, so try not to destroy your own life over it.  I'm saying this with all empathy and kindness, but I truly do believe that there are far worse things than ending the suffering of our beloved 4-legged (and even 2-legged) family. Not saying that your kitty is there, or should be there yet.

I truly hope it all works out for the best.

• Love 7

Thank you, but he died in my arms at around 3am. I fell asleep for a little while, and woke up when he was dying. I should have had him PTS. We were at the emergency vet last night, and I wanted them to run tests and do x-rays. The doctor said we could also do it through our vet, this morning since it would be a bit cheaper. We should have just stayed, and let her do it. I wanted to. But $$$. I don't know what was wrong with him. He had blood in his stool, and then he pooped blood. I didn't know, until we were leaving, that he'd pooped *more* blood when they had him in the back. So they gave him a little bath. WTF. 

I knew I might have to put him to sleep, on Monday. I'm pissed at myself for not getting him to the ER, when our vet didn't give us a fucking appointment until Saturday, when she knew he wasn't eating, and was only drinking water. I just left a message telling her he died, and swore. I need to know what it was, I asked about an autopsy, which I've never done before. 

I can't believe my little baby is gone. He climbed into my lap, before we left for the ER. before I took a nap, he seemed to be comfortable in the carrier. I had him next to my quilts, on the floor. The others would go off and do their own thing, but he was always snuggled with me. 

• Hugs 17
  • Sad 7