Type keyword(s) to search

Pet(s): Photos & Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

This is the cat who also once swallowed, whole, a four-inch strip of stretchy ribbon [it was an eight-inch piece, folded] that she climbed into a tote bag to get.  Thank goodness I came in the room just in time to see it disappear, so I was able to induce vomiting right away and get it back up intact; something stretchy in that size would have absolutely resulted in emergency surgery had it tried to pass through her intestines.

So you could wash it and use it as originally intended?  (Sorry, I'm in a silly mood.)

• LOL 1

I will likely end up talking to my vet about this sooner rather than later - there was a bit more blood spewing from her nose during her sneezes today. The next step is an antibiotic in case this is devolving back into a secondary bacterial infection, but if that doesn't work we will have to look at the next steps.

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

She also eats soft plastic, like bags or Saran wrap.  (I'd had cats who like to lick plastic, but never actually consume it.)  Thankfully, I don't have much of that in the house to begin with, but I have to make sure to keep it closed away.  (I discovered this lovely habit when I came home from the dentist with one of those little goodie bags in my purse, and when I went to empty it discovered she'd eaten one of the handle sections.)

Luna does this! First I noticed she has a weird obsession with licking it, but she actually will rip off pieces and try to eat it. No more plastic bags lining any open garbage cans. No more leaving a plastic container of tomatoes out on the kitchen counter.

Ginny licks the sticky tape pieces I put on the couch to deter Luna from scratching it, but otherwise leaves plastic alone.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5
(edited)
14 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Lol, thanks, but I have enough cats who are stupid in other ways. 

I was going to suggest a playdate, but I'm thinking it's probably not a good idea to let them surreptitiously whisper new sabotage ideas into each other's ears.

Edited by Leeds
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 8

The new place I'm looking at moving to is pet friendly and I'm thinking should I get a cat? I'm reluctant to and definitely not a kitten. I'll be on a fixed income from now on so I'm scared of large vet bills. It got into the thousands with previous cats and I won't be able to do that this time. 

This is the beauty the kitty in my avatar grew into. She was a sweetie and I miss her.

CAT002.jpg

• Like 4
  • Hugs 3
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, secnarf said:

I will likely end up talking to my vet about this sooner rather than later - there was a bit more blood spewing from her nose during her sneezes today.

Has the vet checked for a fungus? My vet did a swab and looked for a sign of fungus when my cat had a lot of nasal and sneezing issues.  Antibiotics won't affect a fungus of course, but a new course of treatment may help if it's a virus or fungus.

• Useful 3

I put some money away every month. This is what I use for unexpected vet expenses if my panthers get really sick. I used it when I had to have a few extra checks for Scully when she got sick last year.

Now that it turns out she has asthma that needs to be treated with an inhaler every day, those are regular costs every 2 months and are now in my regular budget.

When they get older, I expect to use more of that emergency fund.

I tell everyone, unless you have the means to spend the money, don't get a pet. I volunteer at a cat rescue and having cats be brought back is the second worst part. After finding cats and kittens thrown out on the street because people couldn't/wouldn't get them neutered/keep them inside and then can't afford the bills for even more cats.

PXL_20230511_153248741.jpg

• Like 14

I took Cosmo to Petco to receive his vaccinations and prescriptions, he had such a great time (we normally go to our vet, but I have a very packed May and this appointment was quicker). 

However he gained 4lbs/1.8kgs, my Mom takes full responsibility (she feeds him treats when she comes to visit while I am at work!) So he is back on his calorie plan of 800 cals a day, and the Three Dog Bakery biscuits that are 13 calories each.

IMG_8701.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Love 8
50 minutes ago, nokat said:

Has the vet checked for a fungus? My vet did a swab and looked for a sign of fungus when my cat had a lot of nasal and sneezing issues.  Antibiotics won't affect a fungus of course, but a new course of treatment may help if it's a virus or fungus.

Definitely been on my mind - it was something they were considering for my last cat also - but apparently the common disease-causing fungi are not so common in my neck of the woods. It does seem more like a viral with repeated secondary bacterial infections but I will definitely ask about it if/when we reach the next steps of further testing.

48 minutes ago, supposebly said:

I put some money away every month. This is what I use for unexpected vet expenses if my panthers get really sick. I used it when I had to have a few extra checks for Scully when she got sick last year.

Now that it turns out she has asthma that needs to be treated with an inhaler every day, those are regular costs every 2 months and are now in my regular budget.

When they get older, I expect to use more of that emergency fund.

I tell everyone, unless you have the means to spend the money, don't get a pet. I volunteer at a cat rescue and having cats be brought back is the second worst part. After finding cats and kittens thrown out on the street because people couldn't/wouldn't get them neutered/keep them inside and then can't afford the bills for even more cats.

I have pet insurance for my girls. I wished I had had it for my last cat - not that I couldn't afford her care, because I could, but because of the impact on decision making. If insurance was covering the bill, I would have had more extensive testing done sooner rather than a step-wise approach starting with the most common things. Turns out she had lung cancer, which they kept telling me was very unlikely because primary lung cancer is quite rare in cats. I would have probably pushed for a CT sooner if cost wasn't a factor - I could pay $3600 if necessary, but was it *really* necessary?

I ended up consenting to a lung biopsy that carried a risk of pneumothorax and a very expensive hospitalization - I knew if I was in this situation, it would easily end up costing >$10000 which was getting a bit beyond the realm of what I can afford without taking out a line of credit. It was really this that made me end up getting insurance. I can put away a bit of money each month (which was my strategy with my last cat), but am I putting away the ~$90/month x 10 years that a major emergency would cost? In our trips to the veterinary college, I saw a number of animals in intensive care and that also drove home how much an emergency could cost.

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 2
(edited)

For most people who need to set money aside in a pet-specific reserve, the best thing to do is put the money they'd pay as an insurance premium each month into a dedicated account (bonus if it's interest bearing) so they accumulate a fund to draw from, but the money they don't ever wind up needing for pet care is theirs at the end of the pet's life, rather than having bankrolled an insurance company the whole time.

Of course, this indeed works out best "for most people" -- one can wind up being hit with an unexpected significant expense when the account is young.

Everyone needs to crunch the numbers (and look very, very hard at what insurance doesn't cover), make the decision they're most comfortable with, and understand there still may be an unexpected financial burden that will need to be worked out in a short period of time.  (Primary care vets with whom you have an existing relationship are generally still willing to create payment plans, but emergency/specialty vets who've just met you have often been burned so many times they won't do it anymore.)

5 hours ago, supposebly said:

I tell everyone, unless you have the means to spend the money, don't get a pet.

I agree, but it's a tough call as to how much money one should have in order to take on the responsibility of a pet's care. 

Millions of healthy, adoptable pets are euthanized in U.S. shelters each year because there are that many more of them than there are homes for them.  The biggest problem is people not spaying and neutering, and second is owner surrender/abandonment of adult pets.  Many of those are jackasses dumping their pets for selfish reasons.  But some are people who are out of options -- they can no longer afford to care for the pet because of a change in their circumstances or the pet's, and their own attempts to find a new home have been unsuccessful, so they surrender to the shelter in the hopes their pet will somehow beat the odds.

Should someone who cannot keep up with basic healthcare needs and a minor condition or emergency here and there get a pet?  That's an easy no.  But should someone who can do that but would not be able to cover a $5000 emergency should one hit not get one of those pets out of the shelter?  Or should they do it and hope for the best (meaning the pet is one of those lucky ones who never has a large, unexpected expense, or that if it happens somewhere down the road they'll be able figure something out then)?  That's a tougher one.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 9
(edited)
6 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

What if our neighbors don't agree to being crunched? I mean, they're nice and all, but there are limits.

😁

Okay, I have no idea how that happened; I was typing about neighbors elsewhere, but in a completely different document.  The mind is a mysterious thing.  Fixed, thank you!

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 3
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
Just now, Mondrianyone said:

What if our neighbors don't agree to being crunched? I mean, they're nice and all, but there are limits.

😁

Thank you, I was trying to come up with an appropriately snarky comeback while still acknowledging all the very true stuff in @bastet ‘s comment. 

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
9 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Fixed, thank you!

I kind of wish you'd left it as is. Sometimes a typo is just a typo, but sometimes it's a genuine laugh. I can't stop picturing the neighbors being crunched.

• Like 7
29 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I agree, but it's a tough call as to how much money one should have in order to take on the responsibility of a pet's care. 

Millions of healthy, adoptable pets are euthanized in U.S. shelters each year because there are that many more of them than there are homes for them.  The biggest problem is people not spaying and neutering, and second is owner surrender/abandonment of adult pets.  Many of those are jackasses dumping their pets for selfish reasons.  But some are people who are out of options -- they can no longer afford to care for the pet because of a change in their circumstances or the pet's, and their own attempts to find a new home have been unsuccessful, so they surrender to the shelter in the hopes their pet will somehow beat the odds.

Should someone who cannot keep up with basic healthcare needs and a minor condition or emergency here and there get a pet?  That's an easy no.  But should someone who can do that but would not be able to cover a $5000 emergency should one hit not get one of those pets out of the shelter?  Or should they do it and hope for the best (meaning the pet is one of those lucky ones who never has a large, unexpected expense, or that if it happens somewhere down the road they'll be able figure something out then)?  That's a tougher one.

I agree with this. 

I am a single childfree professional woman with a high income. What I am able to afford (and willing) to spend on pet care is far different than what someone else in another situation could (or would) spend on pet care. I don’t think that means that a pet should end its life in a shelter with no one to love it, just because an otherwise loving home couldn’t afford an astronomical expense. Especially in the case of senior pets that have so much love to give in the time they have left and can be especially comforting to seniors etc. 

I think if someone can afford basic medical expenses and needs, has the desire and heart for a pet they should get one if their circumstances allow. 

I haven’t had pet insurance before- Cavendish will likely be my most expensive cat ever with his urinary blockage last year, which I paid for out of savings (previously I just put a little away each month for medical expenses for my pets). I may change my mind about that, but it’s worked for me so far. Here he is saying hi to everyone. IMG_8705.thumb.jpeg.83cda3f3bc057700824c3fce3ca68859.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Love 5
28 minutes ago, Bastet said:

This is a very tough one. There are a lot of people who would be furious to suggest they shouldn't have a pet if they can't afford it. For me the animal has priority once you take on their care, and that included the horses I've had. A lot of us I think will do without if we have to because our animals are our responsibility.

I go to the county shelter near me that euthanizes animals and I think, well, if I can give them love and care is that not better than dying at the shelter? I can afford care and food, it is the bills beyond that, and they are always a possibility.

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, nokat said:

I go to the county shelter near me that euthanizes animals and I think, well, if I can give them love and care is that not better than dying at the shelter? I can afford care and food, it is the bills beyond that, and they are always a possibility.

I understand, and I think that’s really up for you to decide. It’s personal, based on your circumstances, age and otherwise health of the pet etc. 

I know I wouldn’t have made the decisions I made for Cavendish (who was 7) that I made for Blake (who was 18). I also asked the vet if this was a fixable condition. I was also seriously emotional because I lost all of my other cats during the pandemic and two of my favorite humans in 2021 so NO ONE ELSE was dying on me. I don’t regret it at all, but I’d be lying if I said that it was a purely rational decision making process. 

• Hugs 3
  • Love 4

As I think I've said before, I'm hoping to retire sometime next year and cat-related expenses are worrying. Right now I have a good salary and can afford Madam's (astonishingly many) medications, food, litter, vet visits, and uberexpensive cat sitter on the rare occasions I go away for a few days. But when I'm no longer working, how much of my fixed income will there be for all that? Enough, I hope. I expect my IRA will be the slush fund for cat care.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
(edited)
11 minutes ago, ABay said:

As I think I've said before, I'm hoping to retire sometime next year and cat-related expenses are worrying. Right now I have a good salary and can afford Madam's (astonishingly many) medications, food, litter, vet visits, and uberexpensive cat sitter on the rare occasions I go away for a few days. But when I'm no longer working, how much of my fixed income will there be for all that? Enough, I hope. I expect my IRA will be the slush fund for cat care.

Also as we get older, we can have higher health expenses ourselves. What if we have an extended stay at the hospital? If you don't have family to take care of pets, then that's expensive, and if you're like me you'll worry they are not getting all of the pet's meds done correctly at the right time, etc.

Edited by nokat
  • Like 4
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

It's a tough decision in any case. What bugs me that often people get pets who never think much about even the basic costs that are involved or can't even afford the spay/neuter. That's why we have such an overpopulation of cats. Don't even get me started on all the pets that got returned after the pandemic. It's a difficult decision to have a pet and it should be carefully considered is all I'm saying.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, ABay said:

Is it possible your kitty is being over-medicated?  Sometimes, with humans as well as animals, more and more things keep being prescribed for more and more money in an attempt to fix the problem but with little effect?  Is a second opinion/revisit of her situation at all possible?

Are there any cheaper local resources for taking care of her when you go away?  A creditable vet/local vet shop that has a network of people who exchange help?

Sorry you're worrying, and I really really hope you don't need to use your IRA.

• Useful 1
On 5/19/2023 at 6:17 PM, bosawks said:

Happy belated 3rd birthday to this agent of chaos…..

IMG_2023-5-19-191623.jpeg

IMG_2023-5-19-191552.jpeg

Awwww he is so precious!

It’s a rare day in Chicagoland Cosmo and I are both happy to be outside. (It’s usually either too cold for me, or too hot for him!)

We went a different way on our walk this morning, heading west when we normally go north, East and south. And this elderly lady yelled at me out of her window to get my dog off her property. As I was bent over cleaning up after him. We were on the grassy area by the street. (I barely heard her as I had my earphones in and she was screaming)

I just said “yes ma’am I’m doing that right now.”

We won’t be down that block again. 

For the record Cosmo is ALWAYS on his leash if he isn’t in my own fenced back yard, and I do keep him off of people’s flower beds/decorated yards. But I consider the grassy spot past the side walk closest to the street an appropriate area for a dog to walk/use the bathroom. And yes I always clean up after him. 

• Like 14
5 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

But I consider the grassy spot past the side walk closest to the street an appropriate area for a dog to walk/use the bathroom.

Sometimes people on NextDoor complain about that (of course; NextDoor's entire existence is built on people complaining about every frakkin' thing their neighbors do), but most responses ask: Then where on Earth are the dogs supposed to go?  Only in their own yards?  And what if they don't have a yard?  I understand getting annoyed at people who don't pick up the poop, or if they have so many dogs peeing on that grass it burns and dies, but for the typical scenario where the occasional dog pees or poops on that curbside strip and the owner picks up the poop, I don't see an issue.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Applause 1
(edited)

So Daisy is very sensitive to things on her skin. After my mom washed her shirt and put it on her, she had a bad reaction to what they think is the detergent. After hand washing it, she was ok with it. They also removed her collar as that was irritating her. My mom also gave her a bit of a haircut as her hair is really thick due to the double coat. Luckily, she's easy going and didn't mind getting a haircut and loves being brushed.

Lately, I've been re-watching that show Too Cute..Puppies. So adorable.

20230521_211214.jpg

Edited by Writing Wrongs
  • Like 13
  • Love 8
On 5/25/2023 at 7:20 PM, Writing Wrongs said:

So Daisy is very sensitive to things on her skin. After my mom washed her shirt and put it on her, she had a bad reaction to what they think is the detergent. After hand washing it, she was ok with it. They also removed her collar as that was irritating her. My mom also gave her a bit of a haircut as her hair is really thick due to the double coat. Luckily, she's easy going and didn't mind getting a haircut and loves being brushed.

20230521_211214.jpg

I love Daisy’s face! She is so cute. 

I was doing a little impulse shopping at TJMaxx, got some things for my friend’s bday BUT I found this for ME and had to have it. I need more mugs like I need a hole in my head, but it was so adorable🤩.

IMG_8748.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Love 5
On 5/25/2023 at 5:20 PM, Writing Wrongs said:

20230521_211214.jpg

Adorable!  But please don't leave her collar off.  If she gets out, it's her first line of defense, so to speak.

• Like 2

My younger cat has discovered the cat inside the mirror. He usually just sits in the sink and ignores the mirror,  but lately he's noticed and he's determined to get to the interloper.  I can't convince him that the cat in the mirror is him!

• LOL 12
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, beckie said:

My younger cat has discovered the cat inside the mirror. He usually just sits in the sink and ignores the mirror,  but lately he's noticed and he's determined to get to the interloper.  I can't convince him that the cat in the mirror is him!

I haven't had a cat who did the mirror thing since then, but 30 years ago I had one who started every.single.morning by responding to the alarm going off by getting up and boxing that cat who looked just like her above the vanity.

• LOL 11

A Carolina Wren has been singing outside my window all morning. Sometimes he goes down the street but he always comes back. It's getting a little annoying. I don't know if he's marking territory or trying to find a mate but hope whatever it is is over soon.

• LOL 3
(edited)
On 5/10/2023 at 8:26 PM, Bastet said:

She also eats soft plastic, like bags or Saran wrap.

Many years ago, my cat Maggie May (I still have her. She's 19) started licking plastic grocery bags.  Just right out of the blue.  She later progressed to eating the handles off of them.  So, since then I've had to either immediately unpack all groceries when i get home or put up the cold stuff and leave the other bags in the laundry room where she can't get at them until I have a chance to put everything up.  If she can't get to plastic bags, she would nibble the ends of the toilet paper on the roll, so now the roll has to be put in the bathroom cabinet out of her reach.  Every once in a while, she'll get to a bag or some toilet paper in spite of my best efforts and I have to be on 'poop watch' until I see evidence that it's passed.

Speaking of poop, her sister Alice has been under the weather.  I thought it was because her upper respiratory problem (aka her 'herpes') has flared up (which I think is part of her feeling bad).  She has a little goop around the eyes and has been blessing me with snot rockets.  I'm going to see about taking her to the vet as soon as I can next week for a shot.  She used to get a flareup about every year or so, but as she's gotten elderly, it's happening more often.  I also worried about her being constipated (she had that problem last year) because I hadn't seen near enough evidence in the litter boxes that two cats were doing what they should be doing and I did witness her getting in the box a couple of times and then jumping out without doing anything.  So, I had some of the medicine she got last year (I was told to keep it and use it again if she had the same problem) and have been giving it to her for the last couple of days.  I had to laugh, though, because only another 'cat parent' would understand why I let out a cheer and yelled 'yay, poop!' when I found some on the living room floor a few minutes ago. (In her old senile years, Miss Alice sometimes deposits a little outside of the litter box, but I'm just happy that she does anything at all these days)

Edited by BooksRule
  • Like 5
  • Hugs 5
23 minutes ago, BooksRule said:

I had to laugh, though, because only another 'cat parent' would understand why I let out a cheer and yelled 'yay, poop!' when I found some on the living room floor a few minutes ago.

More than once over the years I have called my parents to happily report "Poopies!"  (We used to say "Baby made a poo-poo" from that old Bill Cosby routine, but of course now that's ruined.)

And when Riley was really sick three years ago, with absolutely nothing helping her constipation unless it was to cause explosive diarrhea, and putting her on Cisapride (what's commonly given for megacolon, which she thankfully did not have, but her mystery ailment [a huge number of tests at the primary vet's and then the specialist told me all sorts of things she didn't have, just not what she did] involved a motility issue, so that drug got things moving again) finally did the trick, I even took a picture of that perfect, perfect poop and emailed it to her vet, who was thrilled.

• LOL 7
10 minutes ago, Bastet said:

More than once over the years I have called my parents to happily report "Poopies!"

Yes, I've been known to praise one of my cats and say 'That's a nice big poop.  Good girl!'

• Like 3
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, BooksRule said:

Many years ago, my cat Maggie May (I still have her. She's 19) started licking plastic grocery bags. 

Speaking of poop, her sister Alice has been under the weather. 

Awww, I hope both your kitties are okay.  But I have to ask.  Do you ever sing to the first one, "Wake up Maggie!" then tell her to "Go Ask Alice"?

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Awww, I hope both your kitties are okay.  But I have to ask.  Do you ever sing to the first one, "Wake up Maggie!" then tell her to "Go Ask Alice"?

Thanks!  

I have been known to sing 'Wake up Maggie' but I don't think I ever thought about the 'go ask Alice' line (and now I have that tune stuck in my head :) ).

• Like 7
25 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

59CB7727-7FE7-4B06-BB05-282E99EFABE6.thumb.jpeg.23c66f62059b760a7b9f080b18e49d0a.jpeg

The Grand dog Buckley was here for the weekend. He’s so good natured and always on the go. 

Oh I love Buckley’s coat! Looks so soft and shinny and silky. What did Buckley think of the cats?

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
(edited)
16 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Oh I love Buckley’s coat! Looks so soft and shinny and silky. What did Buckley think of the cats?

We didn’t give them a chance to meet. When I came to bed they weren’t fond of my doggy smells either 😹

Edited by Mindthinkr
Fond not found.
  • Like 5
  • LOL 2
22 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

When I came to bed they weren’t found of my doggy smells either 😹

During Maddie's life, whenever I came home from my friend's house smelling like her dogs, I pretty much had to strip as soon as I entered the house and go change clothes.  Baxter didn't care, but Maddie found it quite the betrayal.

Another friend of mine didn't have any pets for the first several years I had Maddie, and when she'd come over Baxter would sit on her lap, but Maddie would just sort of say hi and then stick to me.  Once my friend got a cat, Maddie adored her.  Maddie had to know you were a cat person to trust you.  Like mother, like daughter. 🙂

• Like 6
  • Love 3

My poor Ginny is unwell yet again. After our Easter adventure, she got better, then slowly started to get worse again, but in a different way - having sneezing fits (including bloody snot flying everywhere) that were getting distressing for her, and having these multiple times a day. She then got ten days of doxycycline - like the clavulin, it caused diarrhea, but unlike the clavulin, the diarrhea didn't resolve when the doxycycline stopped, so we have been dealing with that ever since. But, her sneezing lessened to one-off sneezes maybe once a day.

Over the last few days she has worsened back to how she was before, with lots of sneezing and snorting fits and bloody snot, audible breathing, etc. May or may not have been triggered by the stress of having someone come in and paint my bathroom *sigh*.

At our last vet visit, the vet raised the possibility of a nasopharyngeal polyp and putting her under general anaesthesia to check, so we may end up doing that. I will call them tomorrow.

Poor girl.

Screen Shot 2023-06-05 at 10.08.30 PM.png

• Hugs 19
(edited)
52 minutes ago, secnarf said:

At our last vet visit, the vet raised the possibility of a nasopharyngeal polyp and putting her under general anaesthesia to check, so we may end up doing that.

FWIW, I think I'd do that at this point (so long as there's nothing in her blood tests or otherwise to suggest anethesia poses an unreasonable risk unless it's absolutely necessary, of course -- standard disclaimer applies).  I'd have to go back and read the old posts to refresh my memory, but from what's still floating around in my brain it seems clear something beyond the usual suspects is causing her symptoms, and I think it would be wise to get a real good look in there (especially if it's a vet who, if they find something and it's removable, would be able to do so right then [as opposed to needing to refer you to a specialist surgeon to do it at a later date]).

Best wishes for Ginny to feel better soon -- and for you to learn what this is, and that it's something easy to permanently fix.

Which one is she?  (They're both adorable, just curious whose paws are whose in that cute picture.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 6