Type keyword(s) to search

Pet(s): Photos & Discussion

• Start Topic

Well, it's finally happening. Our dog Mylie has finally gotten bad enough that my mother is having her put to sleep tomorrow. She seemed to be a bit better on Christmas Day and was up and about, but she was still stumbling around. My mother said she has stopped eating and has been urinating and having diarrhea everywhere. She's lost a lot of weight too. I know it will be especially hard for my mother as they are pretty inseparable at this point. She had Mylie for 16 years.

Her at Christmas:

mylie xmas.jpg

• Hugs 9
  • Sad 8

Our local Humane Society posted this in honor of National Peanut Butter Day. 😏

Honey Oat Peanut Butter No-Bake Dog treats from DogVills

The no-bake treats are perfect for the kids to help make.

Ingredients:

1 cup of oats

1/2 cup of peanut butter

1/3 cup of honey

1/3 cup of peanuts

Stir all the ingredients together in a large bowl, then chill for half an hour. Once chilled, roll into 1-inch balls. Store these treats in your fridge!

image.png.fc2750b9c62adad8fbc30e2b918a3ecd.png

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Like 2

This little guy, is a SNEAKY PETE! He keeps coming into my office area to sleep on Cosmo’s dog bed. You know if I got him one he wouldn’t use it. Cavendish and Cosmo get along pretty well but Cosmo’s possessive of his bed. 

E9588367-9AEF-41E2-ABE5-1CB69A08EC8B.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 7
15 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

This little guy, is a SNEAKY PETE! He keeps coming into my office area to sleep on Cosmo’s dog bed. You know if I got him one he wouldn’t use it. Cavendish and Cosmo get along pretty well but Cosmo’s possessive of his bed. 

I love how well he blends in.  He probably thinks you (and Cosmo) can't see him!

• LOL 11
21 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

He's the color of my Tawny girl. Miss her~ 🥺

• Hugs 11

Cosmo had loose stools all afternoon yesterday (he had me out about 6 times yesterday in the winter wonderland that is Chicago) and I took him out once in the middle of the night and woke up to a mess. He’s acting okay otherwise, I’m out of pumpkin, I think I’ll give him some plain chicken from my mom’s house and rice after we come back from morning walk. I don’t know what he ate, likely something off the ground that made him sick. He’s got such a sensitive stomach for a dog and when it’s snowing outside he grabs things I cannot see!

• Hugs 9
  • Sad 1

For breakfast Cosmo got some chicken breast and plain rice, for a treat a tiny broccoli stalk. We went for afternoon walk, and it seems the worst is past. He seems subdued but no vomiting or diarrhea. He did enjoy walk and now he’s napping. After afternoon walk he got one blueberry (I made myself a snack of Greek yogurt and berries so I gave him one). 

EA881D43-63E0-4FF3-9E07-F0F6DCB6D9D3.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Hugs 6
  • Love 8
5 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

For breakfast Cosmo got some chicken breast and plain rice, for a treat a tiny broccoli stalk. We went for afternoon walk, and it seems the worst is past. He seems subdued but no vomiting or diarrhea. He did enjoy walk and now he’s napping. After afternoon walk he got one blueberry (I made myself a snack of Greek yogurt and berries so I gave him one). 

Such a fluffy woofy! I just want to snuggle him.

• Love 8

Poor baby man, but it's good that dogs tend to work through intestinal distress pretty quickly (I'm a cat mama, but my best friend has dogs as well [in fact, right now she only has dogs], so I've heard lots of chicken and rice stories over the years).

• Like 5
10 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Such a sweet good boy.  It's so hard when they're sick and diarrhea/loose stools can be such a mess when they go inside.  You are a wonderful pet mom.  All your furry people are lucky to have you.  I hope Cosmo continues to feel better.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, wilsie said:

Such a sweet good boy.  It's so hard when they're sick and diarrhea/loose stools can be such a mess when they go inside.  You are a wonderful pet mom.  All your furry people are lucky to have you.  I hope Cosmo continues to feel better.

You’re so kind. I feel bad when they are sick. I don’t want him to suffer, and yes going out six times in one afternoon, having to put all the winter gear back on is no fun for me either. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
7 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I feel bad when they are sick.

When my cats are suffering in any way, I always think back on when I was sick as a kid and my mom would say she'd give anything for a magic wand to make me better, but I had X and it was going to take Y and then I'd feel good again, so just hang in there.  It's hard not being able to assure the cats with facts.  (And, really, they "understand" (make associations with) an impressive number of words, but "You have X condition and Y treatment will knock it out in Z days" isn't on the list.)

• Like 2
  • Love 4

I am still getting my Scully to breathe in the asthma medication more than on a superficial level. Once every few days, I manage to actually hold the inhaler to her face and she breathes in the medication a few times. But then the next time she remembers and squirms away. She's feeling much better than before and is much more active and annoying (waking me up at night) but it's very slow going. It's been over a month. She's supposed to breathe it in 10 times twice per day.

Only two coughing fits per week now instead of once per day. And much more energy.

This is what my vet recommended since you can see if you get a proper seal. 

https://www.trudellanimalhealth.com/cats/using-aerokat

• Like 2
  • Hugs 4
41 minutes ago, supposebly said:

I am still getting my Scully to breathe in the asthma medication more than on a superficial level. Once every few days, I manage to actually hold the inhaler to her face and she breathes in the medication a few times. But then the next time she remembers and squirms away. She's feeling much better than before and is much more active and annoying (waking me up at night) but it's very slow going. It's been over a month. She's supposed to breathe it in 10 times twice per day.

Only two coughing fits per week now instead of once per day. And much more energy.

This is what my vet recommended since you can see if you get a proper seal. 

https://www.trudellanimalhealth.com/cats/using-aerokat

Would somethng like this help? You could shoot the mist in through the holes and Scully would have to breathe it. Poor baby.

image.png.dc1f12cd683f98af04c156bf8861fd2d.png 

Edited by peacheslatour
forgot to paste picture
  • Like 3

I'll keep training her before I subject her to that helmet of shame twice a day for the rest of her life. This looks like it would be even more drama to get that thing on her head without immediate treat benefits. I have to think very long term, she's only 4 3/4 years old. Positive associations with the medication. 

But thanks for the suggestion. A friend of mine suggested something like an oxygen tent. 😊

• Like 3
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Aww, snuggle Cosmo for me! I hope he continues to feel better, poor baby!

• Like 7

Cavendish didn’t want to jump up onto the mantle to eat this morning. My mind went to the worst, I gave him an extra portion of food in the bathroom. (So Cosmo wouldn’t get it) Perhaps whatever stomach thing Cosmo had he had cause one of the cats threw up all their food last night. 

Tons of cats throw up for a variety of reasons and cats can be finicky, if this wasn’t a cat that had so many health issues I wouldn’t have thought twice about it. 

Everyone just stay healthy!

I’m laying in bed until the last possible moment, then putting on all these layers to walk Cosmo this morning. My mom and I are leaving out at 11:45am, for a follow up appointment (she was in the hospital end of last year). Again- everyone just stay healthy for me please. 

Cosmo had more chicken and rice for breakfast and he was very pleased with that. 

• Hugs 14

Cosmo continued to have an upset tummy, he was fine Monday during the day but when I got home he had me up all night (it was far too cold and dark for this!)- so he got NO FOOD on Tuesday, and if he wasn’t recovered he was going to the vet. 

I ordered more pumpkin and chicken breasts in the costco order and prepped enough for 3 days for him. He got that this morning, and Cosmo looks to have made a turn. He's still on his meal plan, but M (who walks him in the afternoons when I’m in office) said he seemed recovered today. 

I got home, he was happy to see me, we had a short evening walk and he got the prepped dinner. 

The cats seem much better too-Lady Reese is back in my face after a day of hanging in the cat tree. 

E2AC4D37-38A5-49F7-BF1D-5A356BACF5D3.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 12
2 hours ago, badhaggis said:

This is my baby Princess Fuzzybutt. We live out in the country some a**hole dropped her out here. We were able to convince her we were safe (she was so skittish). Now she is my nighttime snuggle bug and the sweetest kitty I have ever been lucky enough to know.

She is a notorious garland stealer. She prefers garland to any bed we ever bought for her.

Fuzzybutt!!!.jpg

Fuzzybutt tongue!.jpg

Oh she is so fluffy!!!! When did she arrive? Before the Christmas that just passed? Her coat looks so silky. 

• Like 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

Oh she is so fluffy!!!! When did she arrive? Before the Christmas that just passed? Her coat looks so silky. 

She chose us 6 years ago. I love her fluffy little tummy! We feed her Instinct Raw Boost Mixers for skin and coat. 

• Like 8
50 minutes ago, Rose Quartz said:

I keep coming back and looking at this picture of her so sound asleep with her little tongue sticking out.  🥰  Now that is a happy cat!  She's so lucky she found you guys.

I love that picture, too -- belly exposed, tongue escaping, that is one contented cat.

• Like 4
  • Love 5
14 hours ago, Bastet said:

I love that picture, too -- belly exposed, tongue escaping, that is one contented cat.

And a a cat that has total and complete trust that nobody is going to hurt her. Well done!

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Like 11
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Anda a cat that has total and complete trust that nobody is going to hurt her.

Yes, that's what I meant by noting the exposed belly.  It's lovely to see.

I thought "sleep with one eye open" was hyperbole until I adopted scaredy-cat Riley.  She was terrified for all five months she was in the shelter (her cage looked empty, as she was hiding in a box within it), and even though she took to me within just an hour, she'd still retreat under my office couch to sleep for the first week or two, and then when she started sleeping "above ground" as I called it, it was with one or even both eyes open at first.  So it was a big deal for her to start sleeping with her eyes closed.  She'd present her belly to me for rubbing, but to sleep with it exposed?  That was a HUGE deal, that showed she was well and truly comfortable in the house (I'd had to open it up to her one room at a time).

• Like 4
  • Love 6

I moved into a new place with an open floor plan. There is a ledge at the top of the stairs that overlooks the living room and I'm trying to figure out how to put up trellis or something to stop the cats from getting up there. I'm terrified one of them is going to jump down and get hurt. Or when my things show up jump down onto the TV on the wall and then down. I just spent the last 20 minutes getting one of them down from the shower door track. 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1
  • Useful 1
13 hours ago, Bastet said:

Oh, me too!  Her sweet personality shows brightly as well as her feeling safe and content.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Sadly, we had to put Nathan down this morning. At about 5:30 am he started howling and when we got up to check on him, he was dragging himself across the floor with his front legs. Our regular vet is closed on Saturdays so we took him to a different one. They said he had a blood clot in his back and was in a lot of pain. So long old pal.

• Hugs 21
  • Sad 7
6 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Sadly, we had to put Nathan down this morning. At about 5:30 am he started howling and when we got up to check on him, he was dragging himself across the floor with his front legs. Our regular vet is closed on Saturdays so we took him to a different one. They said he had a blood clot in his back and was in a lot of pain. So long old pal.

I’m sorry you lost your loyal companion 😿🌈💔

• Thanks 1
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Thank you friends. Elizabeth has been sitting, staring at the front door like she expects him to come back. 😥

Sweet girl. I'm so sorry. Sending you all virtual non-creepy hugs.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 5
12 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Thank you friends. Elizabeth has been sitting, staring at the front door like she expects him to come back. 😥

I'm so sorry.  And condolences to sweet Elizabeth for losing her friend.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 5