Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 10/20/14

Athena
  • Start Topic

Mo 10/20: Scott Foley, Clark Gregg
Tu 10/21: Terry Crews, Sarah Hyland, the latest castoffs from "Dancing with the Stars"
We 10/22: Ty Burrell, Fred Savage, Danica McKellar
Th 10/23: Tom Bergeron, Little Big Town
Fr 10/24: Edward Norton, Annie Lennox

New big table and chairs along with a bigger screen in the back like on the previous set incarnations at the old studio. I wonder if they weren't completely done with their set plans when the show went to air? I know they say these changes since the premiere have been spurred from viewer response and whatnot though.

Apparently that flash sale shit is coming back too. Whoopi made the announcement while Rosie O acted really surprised, said she had no idea that the flash sale items were making a return and that she wasn't really a fan of it before. It seems like she really is being shut out BTS goings on if this is any indication. Whoopi's response to Rosie O's displeasure was to basically say that things like the flash sale stuff allows them to make changes like they have to their set.

• Love 1

The show passed so quickly today because it was really good.  I was looking forward to Whoopi's "
piece" in New York, but was left feeling rather ill watching her talk through a mouth full of chicken.  Blech.  Other than that, a good show!!!

• Love 3

Weather was causing my tv to cut in and out today making it difficult to follow along, so I turned it off after hot topics.   I guess that speed sputtering of Whoopi was a "flash sale".   Maybe it was my tv, but I couldn't make out a word she said.  

The whole interview with Scott Foley was so on point, binge watching!  I just did a couple seasons of OINB this past weekend.  And the fact that there is a huge live tweeting community for Scandal is true, I don't engage but there are a couple of Twitter communities active in that.  Not me, but I note whilst checking on the college lass' tweets that it may not be live, but every week there is a tweet or four about the show.

Under the category of  Stupid Stuff Whoopi Says, was her saying that "poor people couldn't afford the patch".  WTH??  If you stop buying cigarettes & buy the patch, it's the same expense.  No?  (I quit a long time ago (here in Canada) & that was my rationalization at the time!!)

• Love 12

Interesting that with the new set, they don't walk out through the audience anymore.

Which I like.

The old way was too reminiscent of the "Bad View," with poor frail BaWa walking out so very carefully, trying to get with the program and high-fiving someone in the audience.  I watched every day with bated breath, hoping she didn't fall.

• Love 6

Once again, Whoopi demonstrates her lack of critical thinking. She thinks that people who aren't obese should be able to buy soda without warning labels? So is her solution to have two types of soda for sale? Soda with, and soda without warning labels? "I want the right to Coke that just says Coke!" No matter that I believe they were discussing the aging effect of soda, NOT obesity. I don't see how having extra verbiage on a product inhibits your rights. Then they segue into cigarettes. Whoopi rants about people having to step outside to smoke? I guess she is in favor of breathing in second hand smoke. And poor people can't afford patches? I guess it's cheaper to buy cigarettes and pay for future lung and heart diseases. I guess Whoopi either believes that cigarettes should not have any warning labels, or again, two kinds of cigarettes should be sold. Those with warnings, and those for ostriches. What the eff are YOU smoking, Whoopi?

• Love 10

Jeanius, I agree. Whoopi was a mess during that segment. Her thinking was irrational and all over the place. The other cohosts just kid of sat there like, "Huh?" There's no way to converse with crazy talk.

Also, her know-it-all attitude is so irritating. When she introduced the topic about the Breaking Bad doll, she was laughing and rolling her eyes like it was the most ridiculous thing ever, but then as soon as Rosie mentioned that it was for Comic Con nerds like herself who enjoy collecting memorabilia, Whoopi suddenly pulled a "me too," saying how she also collects all that stuff and totally gets it. It's throwing her, not being the only quasi-intelligent person on the panel anymore. She can't just bloviate and have people take her seriously anymore (although she sure does try, every chance she gets!!).

• Love 12

Okay, that's it...I am ready for Whoopi to take a long walk off a short plank and be off my tv screen. In addition to not having critical thinking skills she is simply an idiot. I'm sorry, EGOT or not, this woman is NOT talented or smart enough to moderate this show. Particularly, now that dumb and dumber are no longer on the panel to make her look less crazy. And I think she knows it and that's why we saw the ridiculous display of ignorance and over-acting during the food label discussion. She doesn't give a rip about poor people not being able to afford patches, but at that point she had nowhere else to go. She knew how crazy her logic was sounding and the audience wasn't helping her as they often do. It's not the damn Whoopi show. Just SHUT THE FUCK UP already!

• Love 12

Honestly I was only half watching this morning.... but wasnt it at the end of the labeling conversation that Whoopi said "let's put this on the list so we can discuss it further" so maybe they will revisit the discussion and have it be a more informed discussion.

Here's to hoping... cheers

• Love 6

That was just embarrassing to watch. Whoopi is ignorant and for the audience and the other hosts to encourage her with laughter and applause just pisses me off more! AND when she introduces a new topic she needs to quit with the stupid laughter until she's done with her sentence.

• Love 9

That was just embarrassing to watch. Whoopi is ignorant and for the audience and the other hosts to encourage her with laughter and applause just pisses me off more! AND when she introduces a new topic she needs to quit with the stupid laughter until she's done with her sentence.

Oh my god, yes! That laugh as she introduces a new story, that she clearly thinks is stupid. That drives me crazy.

I have never understood Whoopi's nonsensical rants about smokers having to smoke outside. Does she really not get that most people do not want to smell/breathe cigarette smoke?

Edited by imjagain
  • Love 6

New big table and chairs along with a bigger screen in the back like on the previous set incarnations at the old studio. I wonder if they weren't completely done with their set plans when the show went to air? I know they say these changes since the premiere have been spurred from viewer response and whatnot though.

Maybe viewers didn't like it but I don't believe that set change was prompted by anyone but Whoopi and all her bitching about it.  Now the "new" set is basically the old set on a bigger stage.   I guess that's fitting because it seems to me she keeps trying to drive this fresh new show back into The Spew territory. 

Let's face it, Whoopi is filling Barbara's shoes right now, she's non-sensical, she brings the show to a screeching halt with her opinions, and I get a sense she's getting on the nerves of the other 3 hosts.

And mine as well, sugarbaker design.  I had Babs flashbacks last week when Whoopi questioned Nathan Lane about his experience doing a movie with Robin Williams TWENTY YEARS AGO!   That's an old Babs routine - asking the guest in front you about a more famous person he once worked with or knows.  Also, reminding everyone that she "knows" everyone from forever ago.  Today she even said she was "tight" with the Pope.  Sure Whoopi, sure you are.

Interesting that with the new set, they don't walk out through the audience anymore.

Which I like.

The old way was too reminiscent of the "Bad View," with poor frail BaWa walking out so very carefully, trying to get with the program and high-fiving someone in the audience.  I watched every day with bated breath, hoping she didn't fall.

But Babs is gone - the co-hosts are healthy and able to walk.   I liked the Oprah-style entrance and I liked the new (now gone) set too  because it helped demonstrate that this wasn't going to be the same old craptastic show I've been watching for years.

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 8

Oh my god, yes! That laugh as she introduces a new story, that she clearly thinks is stupid. That drives me crazy.

I have never understood Whoopi's nonsensical rants about smokers having to smoke outside. Does she really not get that most people do not want to smell/breathe cigarette smoke?

What I think Whoopi is missing is a dose of professionalism.... which is needed for a good moderator.

About smoking.... Smoking is legal.... it is an activity that should be allowed in public places without having to go outside in the weather...... The government wants to keep the revenue while at the same time regulating it out of business. I think it is insanity that smoking in a bar is against the rules..... especially a private club..... if smoking is really that bad.... why is it legal??

I haven't smoked in over 10 years.... but that doesn't change my opinion on the subject.

• Love 4

I think we can chalk the whole Whoopi rant up to Whoopi being Whoopi and getting her knickers in a knot with anyone trying to tell her anything. She doesn't take criticism well, whether it's from fashion critics or soda cans.

• Love 9

She was really being obnoxious with the yeah, mmhmm's while Rosie Perez was talking.  I was actually in a college class once where a student was doing that the first class and was kicked out of the course.

ABC picked up another panel daytime talk show, I mean how many panels do they need?

Edited by Morbs
  • Love 4

She was really being obnoxious with the yeah, mmhmm's while Rosie Perez was talking. ?

She really was. It was so annoying.

I hope beyond hope that Rosie continues to speak her mind and not be intimidated by Whoopi and her know-it-all-ism. I will be so sad if this new panel turns into the cowering scaredy cats like the last one,  and allow Whoopi to dominate with her questionable opinions without any pushback.

Whoopi gets very loud and animated when she is being challenged. Someone really needs to tell her to dial it back a bit.

• Love 8

She really was. It was so annoying.

I hope beyond hope that Rosie continues to speak her mind and not be intimidated by Whoopi and her know-it-all-ism. I will be so sad if this new panel turns into the cowering scaredy cats like the last one,  and allow Whoopi to dominate with her questionable opinions without any pushback.

Whoopi gets very loud and animated when she is being challenged. Someone really needs to tell her to dial it back a bit.

Someone needs to tell her to just back-off!!!  A bit wouldn't cover it.  She's getting out of control & needs to be set straight!!

• Love 9

Did Ro ever bring out her little girl? I know she said in the beginning after introducing her wife and mil that she was going to bring her out, but showing Whoopi chewing with her mouth full of chicken and her crazy ignorant rants today, I just couldn't go on, but I do think I made it through the show because that chicken part was the end, I believe.

Did Ro ever bring out her little girl? I know she said in the beginning after introducing her wife and mil that she was going to bring her out, but showing Whoopi chewing with her mouth full of chicken and her crazy ignorant rants today, I just couldn't go on, but I do think I made it through the show because that chicken part was the end, I believe.

RO said she was going to bring her out during the commercial break.

I came here to post about how off-putting Whoopi was today, but you all have stated each of my criticisms perfectly.  So, carry on.

• Love 4

I watched the show up until the Scott Foley interview (I heart Scandal)  so I'm not a the best person to answer here

but I thought she said she would bring the baby out on commercial break....

• Love 3

I tend to be sympathetic to smokers' reactions to these topics, since both my parents, 3 of my grandparents, and my sister are all smokers, so I understand how difficult it is to be addicted to something that costs so much (both for quality cigarettes and the extra cost of insurance) and only continues to rise in cost. I understand why smokers are resentful because they are treated more harshly (for now...) than people who drink and people who are overweight, and so they extend this same resentment towards other topics that relate to what's going on with them.

That said, Whoopi's opinion on soda LABELS was incredibly inane. I could understand if someone was trying to dictate what you can't drink/eat or what sizes are allowed, but a label doesn't hurt anyone and nobody has time to please someone that sensitive.

I'm conflicted about the set. I liked the other set's colors--silver, turquoise, with just small touches of orange. Not happy to see orange become the main color again, with almost no turquoise to be seen. I didn't mind the way they entered before, but I do like that they come from the side now.

• Love 6

I don't get why the logo is back to yellow/orange. they changed it for the new season to a blue, and now it's back to the old colors. Oh well whatever.

I like nichole but, as I've mentioned before, she sometimes speaks before she thinks. Today's faux pas was wondering if people who started out working for Disney ended up screwed up later in life. Did she not realize SHE works for Disney?

I have to admit I found this funny as anything. It was right up there with Rosie O making her comment about the flash sales, or whatever they are called.

• Love 3

I'm conflicted about the set. I liked the other set's colors--silver, turquoise, with just small touches of orange. Not happy to see orange become the main color again, with almost no turquoise to be seen. I didn't mind the way they entered before, but I do like that they come from the side now.

Me too. I cringed a bit when I first saw all the changes today. The chairs paired with the table look awkward to me even though I'd kinda like them by themselves. They should have tried to find chairs to match the turquoise color of the logo that's on the front of the table. Honestly both the table and chairs look cheap compared to ones the show has had in the past.  If I'm nitpicking so be it but I notice stuff like that because it bugs me.

• Love 5

What I think Whoopi is missing is a dose of professionalism.... which is needed for a good moderator.

About smoking.... Smoking is legal.... it is an activity that should be allowed in public places without having to go outside in the weather...... The government wants to keep the revenue while at the same time regulating it out of business. I think it is insanity that smoking in a bar is against the rules..... especially a private club..... if smoking is really that bad.... why is it legal??

I haven't smoked in over 10 years.... but that doesn't change my opinion on the subject.

The way I see it is this - it's been proven that second hand smoke has certain health risks. If bars, restaurants, bowling alleys etc allow smoking AFTER the findings that it can be hazardous, then the businesses could be liable for any possible smoking related illnesses. BUT businesses needs the government's help outlawing smoking. It's not about the other patrons, it's about the employees of the establishments. The government has rules about safety in the workplace. Laws protect factory employees from hazardous conditions, bartenders, servers, etc also need protection from any proven health hazards in their workplace.

I say this from the perspective of someone who is severely allergic to smoke and had to quit an office job in the 70's because of co-workers' smoking triggering my asthma.

• Love 11

And Whoopi's point that now shot glasses need warnings doesn't make sense, a lot of bottles and beer cases will have a "Drink Responsibly" warning or something similar already.  She picks the strangest stories to get worked up over.

• Love 7

Nicole is really growing on me and I never knew who she was before. Still can't take Rosie Perez because of her voice. Still gotta have Whoopi to snark on. The View still needs to be off the rails.

I say this from the perspective of someone who is severely allergic to smoke and had to quit an office job in the 70's because of co-workers' smoking triggering my asthma.

My son had pneumonia every year of his life from age 15mos to 12yrs when a miracle occurred.  His three-pack-a-day dad dumped us!  Never had pneumonia again.

I loved the aqua/turquoise color scheme and thought the OLD set had too much orange.  Disappointed!   Whoopi seemed to say she liked the set and the new chairs, but did you see how she sat on the edge of the seat?

• Love 7

Quote Former Nun:  I loved the aqua/turquoise color scheme and thought the OLD set had too much orange.  Disappointed!   Whoopi seemed to say she liked the set and the new chairs, but did you see how she sat on the edge of the seat?

I'm thinking that they've been bitchin' & complaining about their "set" & this is the third change (?), so what can they say now (if they don't like it).  To me, it doesn't look that comfortable, but .....

P.S. -- My quote function isn't working.

• Love 1

They definitely look more comfortable/relaxed on those chairs and at that table.  I think it's an improvement, because I could feel how awkward it must have been with the low table and the unnatural reach between it and those other chairs.  But there must be a way to accomplish that without it looking like someone broke into my dentist's office in the middle of the night and punked the chairs from the waiting room.  Whoopi remarked today how great everyone looks on the new set, so I'm guessing that she feels she looks best in the yellow/orange.  Well, The View's lighting has always been legendary.  So, it doesn't have to be just yellow/orange.  I found the blue to be cool and fresh looking, and I think they could have kept that and all of them would still look great. 

I (think I) caught a glimmer of Whoopi being aware of her domination/repulsive takeover of the conversation today.*  She *seemed* to express regret about having to go to commercial, when realizing no one else would be able to speak (this was regarding what was supposed to be the soda pop discussion - but Whoopi hijacked the topic, turning it into what she wanted to talk about).  She suggested they'd revisit the topic tomorrow (when does that ever happen?) and looked at Rosie O (who was not able to complete her thoughts on it) for validation, but Rosie was looking down.  At that point, I wouldn't have looked at Whoopi, either.

Yep, Nicolle's paycheck is signed by the Mouse.  But that was funny as hell.  She may be spoken to by the "ears", but I hope not (the Mouse isn't stupid).  When genuine spontaneity is reigned in, we lose those moments on live tv because people become too careful/guarded.  Nicolle began the show guarded and she's become more relaxed and that was fun.

* Not that it will matter if she's aware of it.  Her opinion is the only opinion that matters.  Her passion is the only passion.

Edited by Dreamboat Annie
  • Love 3
Whoopi remarked today how great everyone looks on the new set, so I'm guessing that she feels she looks best in the yellow/orange.  Well, The View's lighting has always been legendary.  So, it doesn't have to be just yellow/orange.  I found the blue to be cool and fresh looking, and I think they could have kept that and all of them would still look great.

It would Dreamboat.  The new table has a light strip in it so that the co-hosts are lit from below while sitting at the table ala the one they had for the last six or so years.  

I found Whoopi  ridiculous today and here's why: 

She doesn't want government mandated warning labels on Coke because she doesn't need them and thinks that individuals [not the corporations making billions]  should take responsibility for their own habits.  BUT she wants that same government [or tobacco companies?] to pay for nicotine patches for smokers who want to quit but can't afford them.  Whaaat?  Besides the fact that smoking affects far more people than just smokers (dozens of good studies on this) it doesn't make any sense that tax-hatin' Whoopi would want government intervention on one and not the other. 

I thought RO made an excellent comparison to growing up thinking smoking was glamorous but the generations that grew up with the warning labels helped change our society to where now everyone knows the dangers and more people choose not to smoke and maybe that might happen with soda too.    I'm about RO's age and I grew up thinking smoking was cool and adult.  I wish someone had told me the real dangers and how hard it was going to be to quit before I started.

Whoopi  thinks it's crazy for Toys-R-Us to sell adult collector toys except oh yeah, she has all of them.   Maybe she's just pissed the peons now have access to them?   I swear she is channeling Babs bad habits some days but unfortunately not her good ones like being able to read a teleprompter.   I'm not sure what that speed-reading demonstration announcing the return of the flash sale was for but I totally appreciated RO saying it made them like a home shopping show and that she didn't enjoy it. 

Each and every time RO said something during HT Whoopi cut her off with "Hey! How about this?"  Then she cut her off with a commercial break.

Finally, talking about her latest good deed [lending her name to a  Food Network sponsored fundraiser without bothering to mention The Food Network] while stuffing her piehole just pissed me off.  That's so The Spew.  .  

As much as I'm enjoying RosieP and Nicolle, I'm really only watching for RO and if it wasn't for her I would stop watching tomorrow because  even The Spew was more fun with all it's snark material than I'm finding The Whoopi Goldberg Hour  to be.    Ugh. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 7

Not a fan of todays show....and Whoopi's take over of it - let alone her opinions.

Not a fan of boxing.

Not a fan of the new set....let's see - how many colors are involved? Royal blue, red, turquoise, yellow, mustard, beige, light blue neon, rose, tan, purple, orange, and white. Plus the desk is light oak, turquoise white, black, and chrome. The chairs are chrome as well. Let's add the all the clothes colors and patterns into the mix as well!

Plus I hardly think RO would give away the ending of a movie, RP.

• Love 4

And mine as well, sugarbaker design.  I had Babs flashbacks last week when Whoopi questioned Nathan Lane about his experience doing a movie with Robin Williams TWENTY YEARS AGO!   That's an old Babs routine - asking the guest in front you about a more famous person he once worked with or knows.  Also, reminding everyone that she "knows" everyone from forever ago

I thought she was genuinely emotional about Robin and wanted to hear from somebody about working with him. I was more bothered that Nathan and Matthew mentioned that they met recording "The Lion King" and nobody mentioned that Whoopi was in it, too!

Edited by JakeyJokes
  • Love 2

Whoopi's argument against labels on pop cans is the craziest thing I've heard. Putting the labels hurts, no one. Whoopi said she didn't want the warning label on cigarette packs, huh? Why?

Whoopi also mentioned, when she wanted to quit smoking, she just did. Yeah, I'm sure it was just that easy. She is just so pompous.

Edited by imjagain
  • Love 4

Whoopi's argument against labels on pop cans is the craziest thing I've heard. Putting the labels hurts, no one. Whoopi said she didn't want the warning label on cigarette packs, huh? Why?

Whoopi also mentioned, when she wanted to quit smoking, she just did.

And she said it so triumphantly, like she's so above everyone and that SHE has will power so screw everyone else.

Though it makes me wonder:  If she quit because SHE wanted to, why? If smoking is so great, why did she quit?

Perhaps because it's not healthy?

Perhaps because it is not healthy for those around you?

Perhaps because it causes more problems in the long run?

Perhaps because it is too expensive a habit?

Perhaps because smoking is not so great?

If the any or all the questions I posed above were reasons, can someone tell me then why she would be so pissy about a damn label?  Because I believe that labels are simply a reinforcement, a "hold on, these are some things you should know before you use this...." message. I don't see why she'd be opposed to something like that, particularly if she feels it's so inconsequential.

Or maybe it really is.

Does anyone remember when Whoopi first joined The View and they had running segments on her quitting smoking...? And then then they suddenly stopped?

Maybe just maybe she did not "just stop" like she is trying to sell. Maybe she incorporated a little bit of everything she learned over the years about quitting, along with the pitfalls of it smoking, the dangers and all that combined is what helped her in finally giving it up? Probably helps that she smokes marijuana - maybe that took a little of the edge off.

The craziest thing about Whoopi's rant on soda can labels is that she is the first one to piss and moan about high fructose corn syrup.

OOOOH Good point!

And where can one find mention of high fructose corn syrup...?

On the label!  (gasp!)

• Love 5

I seem to remember Whoopi saying she quit smoking cigarettes after she met a particular child. I'm thinking the child had a disease or disability that made breathing difficult. I don't recall the specifics.

• Love 5

I seem to remember Whoopi saying she quit smoking cigarettes after she met a particular child. I'm thinking the child had a disease or disability that made breathing difficult. I don't recall the specifics.

Whoopi, did say that.

The whole interview with Scott Foley was so on point, binge watching!

Actually, the binge watching topic was introduced so that Foley could bring up the new Bausch and Lomb (I'm not going to bother to look up how to spell that) product for dry eyes.  His interview was sponsored just like those Marilu Henner chats.

I don't mind when someone goes on a show to sell their book or their movie.  I get that. However, commercial breaks are getting longer and longer and putting more commercial content within the show itself is obnoxious.  You can cry poor, ABC, but this is the kind of crap that makes me fast forward or, when it persists, tune out.  Then where will your profits come from?

Knock it off.

• Love 10

I don't watch Scandal, nor do I need contact lens, but damn, that Scott Foley is one handsome, smooth, elegant man!  I don't mind in-house commercials, but then again I don't watch live so I can just ff through it.  With Michael Strahan and Marilu Henner I ff'ed, with Scott Foley I slo-moed!

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Love 2

Maybe I missed it - but what is the warning that they are trying to get placed on coke cans? Coke cans already have ingredients and calories listed so I don't really see a need for a warning label. A glass of coke in and of itself is not actually harmful (unlike a cigarette). People run into problems because they drink too much of it. But if you were going to put a warning label on a can of coke, wouldn't you also need to put them on every non-nutritious piece of food? (Too much coke is the same as too many chocolate bars).

Maybe people should lobby for healthy foods to be cheaper. You can buy 2L of coke for a dollar but milk is at least 4 times as expensive (at least where I am).

I think Nicolle was specifically talking about about actors getting their starts on children Disney shows/movies. I agree with her that it does seem like a lot of the young celebrities getting into trouble these days seemed to have had their start on those shows.

• Love 7

IIRC Whoopi didn't just stop smoking.  It took her awhile to give it up completely.  I think she said she was down to one cigarette a day and that lasted a long time.

I think there should be warning labels on anything that has high fructose corn syrup. That stuff is poison.  Any doctor will tell you how unhealthy it is for you.

• Love 4

I think I'm confused..... Monica Lewinsky is being labeled as the first person being bullied on the internet. .... as Whoopi would say... What the hell??

When Monica became "famous" there was no social media..... the internet was basically used for news. There wasn't a place for "bullying"

I don't really see how she is a victim either.... she was young yes... but she chased after a married man and "fell in love" then acted on those feelings.

2 consenting adults getting together really is no place for victimhood.

• Love 8

I think a label saying "Consuming to much of this product can lead to xyz" would be fine on all processed foods. It does not prevent a person from buying the chips, pop, candy, canned cheese but it warns them of what might happen.

Of course, whoopi thinks only fat people need the warnings not anyone else, smh. I didn't even try to understand that.

Having healthier food, of course is the most important. Trying to make sure that everybody has healthy food available to them is a big deal, that has to be made a top priority.

• Love 4