Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E13: Beautiful Disaster

Hooray for Cig! I actually clapped my hands and cheered. I really would like to see Cig and Dina in the final 3, and I was so worried that Cig would get knocked out this week, what with the beauty challenge. But he created a beautiful fairy and a stunning set of wings and I am delighted to see a whole new side to his art.

• Love 2

Stelllllaaaa! Hated to see her go but it was the right choice. I was impressed with Cig and George. They were the two most out of their element and rose to the occasion. I enjoyed all five and hope we hear from them again.

• Love 2

Face Off: now with 100% less Sasha!

Cig and Dina really knocked it out of the park. I think I would have given her bonus points for having the more difficult concept, but his win was much deserved. I wasn't as in love with George's design as the judges were, but I thought he was a safe 3rd.

Drew's Carrie-at-the-Prom design left me cold, but I liked his wings and thought he should have gotten more credit for them.

As for the loser--it was no contest, as far as I was concerned. Poor Stella dressed like she knew she was going home. All she needed was a TV remote and a bag of Cheetos.

Edited by Portia
  • Love 6

I don't understand what the judges found so impressive about George's fairy. I didn't care for it, although that could just have been the green eyebrows.

I hated it! The face was just bland and dull with a witches' chin. The banana leaves looked cheap. It must have read something great in person because on my TV it looked terrible.

I hated the oil slick one too. Was just an ick. I understood why Stella went home though, although sad to see her go.

Edited by CherZ
  • Love 4

Poor Stella. I think she still had some good work in her, but tonight was definitely not her night. And two weeks before the finale is a bad time to have an off-night. The oil slick fairy just missed the mark, too. Lois's comment about putting black around the eyes was a great idea (it hadn't even crossed my mind until she mentioned it). The whole look left something to be desired.

Never thought I'd say it, but Cig won me over tonight. His ice fairy was a beautiful, fully-finished look, and the wings were fantastic. Good on both he and George for actually stepping outside of their horror comfort zones. I love it when the contestants try something so radically different from what they know or are used to, and come out with a wonderful makeup. Though George was lucky to pick Megan, she's the best model by far. And Dina as always did beautiful work, especially considering her color scheme was muddy brown.

Dina damn well better be in the finale, and I suspect Cig will be, too. Depending on how next week goes it could be a real toss-up for either George or Drew in the last spot.

• Love 2

Tonight would have been a good time to use the Save they wasted on Sasha.  Stella deserved to be eliminated based on tonight alone but she's done well all along.  I've thought that Cig and Dina would be final two since the early episodes and I'll be very surprised if that isn't the case.  I like both of them but I sort of lean toward Cig.  His fairy was lovely.

What in the heck did Cig have on his head at judging?  A cap with frog eyes?  And speaking of heads - I wondered if Stella and Dina had both overslept or something.  Both days their hair looked like they hadn't washed it in a week.

• Love 3

Stella was the obvious one to go home tonight, she just wasn't as good as everyone else this week. I couldn't decide between Cig & Dina, I liked both their fairies. Dina's model really sold it for her too, much more than the other models I thought.

It thrills me to no ends how many challenges this season have been monster and alien free. It's like they have been reading the message boards or something....

Stella wasnt a bad artist by any means, but she picked a bad time to do her worst look. Her concept was far from innovative but if she had been able to pull off a better paint job she might have been able to squeak past the oil slick fairy.

Although I preferred Dina's beautiful flood fairy, Cig's Avalanche fairy was pretty good too and a worthy winner. Those ice wings were very nifty and I wish they had shown how he did them in the first half of the ep.

• Love 6

I concur: Stella was the right pick to go. Even though Drew's had some problems, it was way better than Stella's, although did either of those two have wings? I know Stella's didn't, but I don't remember seeing wings on Drew's oil slick faerie either. Oil slick did have some cool components, though.

I'm team DINA!! all the way. I love her attitude and she's been consistently awesome. Cig has been consistently good, also, but he bugs me just a bit with his caps of tweeness. Having said that, his faerie last night was gorgeous. The wings alone made him a winner for me.

I'm pretty sure, unless George screws up next week, we're looking at a final 3 of Dina, Cig and George. I'd be okay with Drew too, if George implodes.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 1

I was so disappointed in Stella last night.  There was so much more she could have done with that concept.  Although she was the designated "oh no, my mold is (insert crisis here)" for the week, she ended up doing what she could.  I agree with the poster upthread that Sasha's save was wasted on her and that it should have been saved for Stella.

That funky frog head hat that Cig was wearing, I do prefer it to the other one with the little demon guy hanging off of it.  He sells them on his website.  I love his fairy and couldn't decide between his and Dina's.  George's was great but the best part of it was that cracked shoulder.  I had to laugh when he and Cig were so dismayed that it was a beauty challenge.  The only thing i liked about Drew's was the wings.

Edited by Linderhill

I love Dina, she's by far my favorite, but props to Cig for stepping outside his comfort zone and doing so well. As Mr. W pointed out, however, if you take the label off, it's a basic design challenge.

I'm still beyond delighted at this season's focus on something other than monsters.

If there is ever a real all-star season (not a hybrid like that one season), I want Stella to come back.

• Love 5

Although she was the designated "oh no, my mold is (insert crisis here" for the week, she ended up doing what she could.

But it was also something like her this mold crisis in as many weeks.  Where I also thought she fell down was when her cowl turned into a disaster, she seemed to spend a lot of time bitching about it instead of scrambling to fix it.  She did a decent job with the repair, I understand her need to vent, and it was clear she was stressed because she knew she'd be on the chopping block, but she wasted a lot of energy on that.

I thought George was better than "safe" only because he picked Meghan as his model.  The makeup was fine, but it wasn't nearly as polished either Dina or Cig.

Also, why wouldn't they give them any male models to choose from?  When they all picked women, I freeze-framed a shot of the life cast shelf, and there were only women.  A male fairy could have been a lot more interesting.

• Love 1

I'm dying to know if the judges could smell the chocolate syrup Dina used for painting the head of her fairy!  *LOL*  That was a really creative move on her part. 

I'm Team Dina all the way, with Cig in 2nd.  That Avalanche Fairy was just amazing.  He & George should be really proud of the way they've expanded their skills.  

• Love 1

I agree George lucked out with his model-she made the work seem better than it was.  Also I think the judges probably thought the crack was intentional as part of the earthquake theme.

Even so, Stella and Drew were clearly the worst, and it is a shame there was no save left for Stella.

Cig's was stunning and he deserved the win for those wings, but I was truly impressed with what Dina accomplished with such a difficult concept.  A muddy palette could so easily have gone wrong but that fairy was just beautiful.  It's definitely her and Cig in the final three.  My guess is George beats Drew for the final spot, and in the end, I'm betting Dina wins the whole damn thing. 

• Love 2

What in the heck did Cig have on his head at judging?  A cap with frog eyes?

He's worn it more than once. I know I sound like a cranky old woman when I say this, I just don't understand why people make hair, makeup, and fashion choices that don't enhance their looks but instead seem deliberately off-putting. Last night I finally took a look at his actual face, and I realized that Cig would be a perfectly decent-looking guy if he'd lose the bizarre facial hair and the stupid hats. There are ways to look quirky and distinctive without looking like an idiot; George is a perfect example of that.  (Also, you kids get off my lawn!)

Even though Drew's had some problems, it was way better than Stella's, although did either of those two have wings?

Yes; I believe his were the wings fashioned out of some thin, filmy material and peacock feathers. I thought they looked great, but I guess he should have made them stand out more. Either the judges ignored them, or their comments on his wings were edited out.

• Love 4

I know his fairy wasn't the strongest but it was considerate of Drew to take into account how his model would be able to function once the make up was applied, and he, yet again, offered to help out when Stella found herself in trouble.  This is such a nice group of people (at least what we see of them) that I hate to see any of them dismissed (yes, I know that isn't a criteria for judging).   Dina once again pulled in her knowledge of food science in order to help create her make up (and what a perfect teacher she had in Anthony Kosar)--I appreciate her creativity.  George was smart to listen to his model about how to overcome the problem with the crack in his makeup...that wasn't even mentioned as a flaw by the judges.  Cig definitely broke out of his yuck box and did something that was beautiful for a change (his model was the perfect selection for this make up, I thought).   This just wasn't Stella's day.  She seemed to be struggling from the very beginning and I'm not sure why.  She is very talented and I'm sad to see her go (though surely she'll return as a helper in the finale).  I'd like to see Dina go through to the end because she has been so consistent (with the exception of that reindeer in Episode 8), but, truly, I'd be fine with any of them going on to the finale. At different stages of this contest, I believe they have all shown ability. Now it is down to who can work under the pressure of being so close to the end. 

• Love 4

Thank you, Portia!

I remember the wings now when he was fashioning them in the workroom. I liked them too, they just didn't stand out much at reveal and judging.

I am nearly always fine with the finalists on this show. They are all such nice people, I never have to root AGAINST anyone (I'm looking at you, Project Runway).

That said, still hoping for a Dina win, but yes, would be okay with any one of them winning. They'll all work; they're all talented.

• Love 4

Last night I finally took a look at his actual face, and I realized that Cig would be a perfectly decent-looking guy if he'd lose the bizarre facial hair and the stupid hats. There are ways to look quirky and distinctive without looking like an idiot; George is a perfect example of that.  (Also, you kids get off my lawn!)

Don't send those kids over to my lawn! yelled the woman who just yesterday rather politely asked a neighbor-child to not ride his scooter on her patio.

Cig's facial hair makes him look older than 25 IMO, and that could be deliberate. The hats seem rather like h.s. or college affectations, however, negating the effect.

I am not in the "any of these people for the win" category. I want Dina to win, with Cig second. I think Dina is outstanding, one of the most talented designers in the history of the show. I also wonder if anyone smelled the chocolate in her make-up.

With Stella's broken points, I wondered if it might have been possible to spray paint them as they were or cut them down and paint them. It's not as if fire follows neat, clean lines, after all.

• Love 3

I have compassion for Cig wearing hats. His hair is thinning, despite his young age. For the most part, youth seems to be favored on the show. I think his affectation is quite effective. 

I have compassion for Cig wearing hats. His hair is thinning, despite his young age. For the most part, youth seems to be favored on the show. I think his affectation is quite effective. 

It's not hats per se that seem affected, it's the hats he chooses with the frog faces, etc. But good point about the thinning hair.

• Love 3

George was smart to listen to his model about how to overcome the problem with the crack in his makeup...that wasn't even mentioned as a flaw by the judges.

I was wondering why it took George's model to tell him to incorporate the crack into the make-up.  I guess he was just that stressed and pressured he didn't think of it.

• Love 1
Last night I finally took a look at his actual face, and I realized that Cig would be a perfectly decent-looking guy if he'd lose the bizarre facial hair and the stupid hats.

I've noticed that also, especially the week he had his hair slicked down and no hat.  Somehow, the hats and whiskers disguise how young he really looks.  I'm usually put off by affectations (Cig Neutron?!) and tattoos and so on but, for some reason, I like Cig a lot.

I know his fairy wasn't the strongest but it was considerate of Drew to take into account how his model would be able to function once the make up was applied, and he, yet again, offered to help out when Stella found herself in trouble.

I think that Drew is genuinely a nice person.  I've noticed every week that he never fails to thank his model as they step off the platform.

• Love 3

Overall, I'm loving everyone's work. I'd been thinking for a while that I was going to give up on the show and moving didn't help me in remembering that it was even on. However, letting this season drift from non-stop MONSTERS!! or GORE!! to some truly beautiful work has been a breath of fresh air.

Yes; I believe his were the wings fashioned out of some thin, filmy material and peacock feathers. I thought they looked great, but I guess he should have made them stand out more. Either the judges ignored them, or their comments on his wings were edited out.

Oh, now I remember seeing him work on those! If the judges ignored the wings, I blame Drew's model. She did nothing to sell the make-up.

• Love 1

I loved Dina's and thought it was definitely the best of the ones up there.. but it didn't deserve to win for one reason: It was last week's Aphrodite after going through a mudslide. It was great and well done and everything, but much of the forms and choices were incredible similar to her Aphrodite so I just had to ding her for that.

Cig's was very good, pretty and well put together. I'm surprised they didn't mention how bad some of his edges were, or how monotone his color schemes was outside the face, but it deserved the win.

I don't know what the heck they were talking about with George's, I thought it was horrible. The weird looking face with the big jarring flaw on it, the bizarre blinking thing in the shoulder, the children's craft show wings. I just really didn't like anything about it at all.

I actually really liked Drew's fairy. The edge was noticable, but not super noticable like Cig's last week, and at even a medium distance I found the paint job mostly hid it. But the paint on the skin was just fantastic, the oil looked great and she had a wonderful presence. He should have made the dress shorter though, so there wasn't so much unoiled negative space on the model.

Stella's was just a big fat no. Nothing worked right on it.

Drew's had problems, but I thought it was a lot better than George's. I understand why they put him in the bottom, but I thought it was overall a much more visually striking look.

I don't really like when they go for ice on this show, because it is NEVER going to look like actual ice (for that matter, fire is NEVER going to look like actual fire, either) but I was pretty impressed by Cig's work. Not because it looked like ice (it didn't) but because it was such a complete look. Everything came together really well, and he was smart to go for an extravagant and cartoony look because really, that is the only way to go with fake ice.

I'm getting slightly annoyed with Dina. We've seen plenty of beauty makeups on this show that had a bright, gorgeous faces with colorful cowls with a bulbous, almost alien-esque silhouette. It was great last week, it was great this week, but it's been done so many times and it's starting to get really predictable. Get creative, people.

Edited by Xazeal

I think that Drew is genuinely a nice person.  I've noticed every week that he never fails to thank his model as they step off the platform.

I also noticed the model gave him a hug (and a kiss?) when they left the center stage.  I think he has such a good rapport with other people he is working with....if I were on a work project, I would want him on it because he has talent, a good work ethic, and he is a nice guy.

• Love 2

I blame Drew's model. She did nothing to sell the make-up.

I love it when the models go all out to sell the look - George's model, in particular, last night, and Dina's too.  I really think that Drew's model and Stella's model were particularly lack-luster.  I still wish the show give a prize to the model that most impacted a judge's decision!

• Love 2

I'm team DINA!! all the way. I love her attitude and she's been consistently awesome. Cig has been consistently good, also, but he bugs me just a bit with his caps of tweeness.

Yes! Dina's elegant and aesthetically-balanced makeups remind me of Laura's work, and Anthony's too. I'm definitely pulling for her to win this season. I'll begrudgingly admit Cig is talented (his fairy really impressed me) but the aforementioned affectations (clothing, hats, etc) just irk me. Also, Caps of Tweeness is an awesome phrase. Thank you for that. ;)

Overall, I'm loving everyone's work. I'd been thinking for a while that I was going to give up on the show and moving didn't help me in remembering that it was even on. However, letting this season drift from non-stop MONSTERS!! or GORE!! to some truly beautiful work has been a breath of fresh air.

So true! It's been such a welcome change to have truly creative challenges that haven't all been centered around monsters and gore. It's made this season the first I've unequivocally enjoyed in a long while.

Oh, now I remember seeing him work on those! If the judges ignored the wings, I blame Drew's model. She did nothing to sell the make-up.

I noticed that, too. She just stood there looking bored. I seem to recall seeing her do that before, though I don't believe she's been used as frequently as some of the others - and no wonder. Sometimes the model can make or break a makeup. Would I still remember RJ's bellhop from season 2 if Landon the model hadn't gotten so into ringing the bell on his hat and decorated Ve with lingerie? Doubtful. (Also - hee. The memory of that still makes me laugh).

• Love 8

I love it when the models go all out to sell the look - George's model, in particular, last night, and Dina's too.  I really think that Drew's model and Stella's model were particularly lack-luster.  I still wish the show give a prize to the model that most impacted a judge's decision!

Those two models are my favorites.  Meghan has been around for a couple of years and ALWAYS sells the make up.    I think Meghan was the model for the candy monster that ate through her belly years ago which I still feel made the make up win.  She is adorable. And the other girl is newer but also plays the part, she does not just stand there. She is quite lovely also.  I am not sure that Dina's makeup would have have been as pretty on another model.  That one is just so pretty, with those big white teeth.

• Love 1

This episode made me realize I'm rooting for Cig. I've liked him all season, and he's been consistently good, but there's just something about the guy that I like despite the Caps of Tweeness and bonkers facial hair. Maybe it's just because he seems like he's nice, fun, and would be cool to hang with.

That said, I'd be happy if any of the final four wins. They're all talented, and seem like genuinely good people, and it's a rare occasion when I get a FF like this on a reality show I watch.

• Love 2

I loved Dina's and thought it was definitely the best of the ones up there.. but it didn't deserve to win for one reason: It was last week's Aphrodite after going through a mudslide. It was great and well done and everything, but much of the forms and choices were incredible similar to her Aphrodite so I just had to ding her for that.

yes, that!  When she was sculpting, I went WHAT!  she is doing the same scallops molds as last week.  Yes, they turned out a little different, but I agree Aphrodite.  And, there was something about the model's smile and posturing that just threw me off of her.

I liked Cig's a lot - good for him.

I liked George's shoulder's separation - made it look like an earthquake divide.

Poor Drew - good concept but the make up looked poorly done (on the face - it looked like he put a mask on and then make up over top of it) and I agree should have taken the oil spill and let it drip from the top down. 

Edited by tobysmom

Don't throw me into an oil slick for saying this, but I'd have loved to see what Sasha could do with this challenge. She's good at the pretty.

I think Cig's ice fairy was fabulous. Also liked Dina's. Like some others of you, I didn't like George's earthquake fairy at all. And I wanted the model to stop doing that odd jerky thing she was doing. Was that supposed to signify "aftershocks"? If so, okay. Maybe George's work looked better in person. In fairy?

edited to say, Sorry! I confusingly typed avalanche when I meant earthquake. I got my disasters mixed up.

Edited by picklesprite
  • Love 1

Poor Stella. I really liked her work over the course of the show. I get why she was sent home but I was rooting for her. Sculpted flames never really work for me. I didn't like them on the Apollo last week either. The thing about fire is that it's alive. It moves. Sculpted flames just look like a mask.

• Love 2

I agree Stella's was the worst this week.  But over all I don't get why the petroleum spill fairy dude is still around.  I haven't liked anything I can remember that he has done.  Hope he doesn't end up in the final three.

Yeah, this week was really obvious, as far as the results went : Cig & Dina were clearly at the top, Stella at the bottom, Drew's self-proclaimed "high fashion" oil spill was a mess, and George's was just as rough & average, sculpt-wise, as usual (which means I didn't really understand the judges overenthusiastic reactions to his work, this week).

On another note, Syfy's Face Off page more or less spoils who'll be doing what during next week's creature feature challenge, and let's just say I'm afraid of some sort of upset win and/or loss from the contestants... (some of those monsters can only lead to disaster)

Edited by Kaoteek

On another note, Syfy's Face Off page more or less spoils who'll be doing what during next week's creature feature challenge, and let's just say I'm afraid of some sort of upset win and/or loss from the contestants... (some of those monsters can only lead to disaster)

Yeah, I agree. Not looking forward to this one. We shall see.

I'm dying to know if the judges could smell the chocolate syrup Dina used for painting the head of her fairy!  *LOL*  That was a really creative move on her part. 

Hot fudge is my secret weapon for fake blood and FX makeup. There are so many smells in the latex and silicone paints that the chocolate offsets it nicely.

On a separate note, I think I'm the only one who hasn't been impressed with Stella this entire season. She's constantly clinging to her spot, having gotten lucky each week until now. She's creative and I have nothing against her but she's clearly under qualified to be on this show. I think she could have used a few more months of practical work before auditioning and she may have been able to take it all. Dare I say, even Sasha, as obnoxious as I found her, had more technical skill than Stella.

Drew's wasn't impressive this week either. I thought the technique was smart but the 'dress' would have been better cut short with some of the oil dripping off onto her legs. It could have been fine kept long but super saturated at the bottom as if she's rising from it. I loved his paint job but in no way was that look high fashion.

Loved Cig's. I've been rooting for him since Day 1 and Dina is brilliant as always! Of course a cake decorator would think to look for chocolate!

• Love 1

The advantage Dina has is that she is used to look for food solutions to her problems....remember her veining in the first episode?  Flexibility in using materials in original ways has to be an asset.  (I actually do know chocolate has been used to substitute for blood before, but Dina wasn't creating blood...she wanted a wet mud look and she took an experimental approach to figure out how to achieve the effect...it's not that she was completely original, but she was creative in using what she had on hand in the workshop.)

Looking at the preview for next week, I'm only going to say there are some animals that are not particularly frightening no matter how large they are.  Anyone ever see "Attack of the Lupus?"  Giant bunnies are just not scary.  It looks as if Drew got the of challenge of making a not very scary creature look threatening (anything I can outrun is not frightening to me), which makes me worry for him.  As for why is Drew still in the competition, how soon we forget his emo faun which was a win for him (and a nice little nod to one of the judges).  He got a top look, though not a win, in the Serpent Soldiers challenge.  Not without talent, but perhaps not as consistent as some of the others.

One reason I have some doubts about George is that he said this episode that he still thought his Zeus from last episode was great.  It is one thing to have confidence in your design; it is another to be blind to its imperfections (and that Zeus was a bit weak).   On the other hand, he did follow Mr. Westmore's suggestions for the fairy and I think that helped him push his character up a level.

And I think that George's faery with the green eyebrows was an homage to Keaghlan.

I hope that's true. That would just reaffirm what I like about this show....the camaraderie of the group.

Edited by dialyn
  • Love 2
Would I still remember RJ's bellhop from season 2 if Landon the model hadn't gotten so into ringing the bell on his hat and decorated Ve with lingerie? Doubtful. (Also - hee. The memory of that still makes me laugh).

Thank you, Maelstrom! That bell-hop make-up is still my favorite!!

• Love 1

Dina wasn't the first to use chocolate as a substitute.  I have read that Alfred Hitchcock used chocolate syrup for blood in the shower scene of Psycho.  He found that it looked more realistic in black and white that fake blood. 

Perhaps this proves that whether you eat it or not, everybody needs chocolate (see what I did there?)

Edited by needschocolate
  • Love 4