Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E29: Finale Special: Check-Up with Dr. Drew — Part 1

JerseyGirl
  • Start Topic

Ryan Seacrest & Dr. Drew...two people who really should have just stayed on their local radio stations.

I really like Dr. Drew on his podcasts with Adam Carolla.  I just wish he'd ask the more hard-hitting questions and call them out on their bullshit.  Maybe they should just add Adam Carolla WITH Dr. Drew, like when they used to do Lovelines on MTV in the 90s.

• Love 6

On the subject of Ryan Seacrest, he should have stayed where he was when he was in high school (went to high school with him)-- on the football field and slightly overweight.

Anyway, about that video, Leah is SO OBVIOUSLY lying and being SUPER evasive!! "I dunno." (with eyes shifting back and forth)  Then she looks guilty and starts crying.  I interpreted that to mean she knows she's done something wrong.

And I disagree with doctor drew about physical therapy.  It should be done, and it will probably be very helpful.  You want Ali's muscles to remember how to move, after all!

• Love 5

I really like Dr. Drew on his podcasts with Adam Carolla.  I just wish he'd ask the more hard-hitting questions and call them out on their bullshit.  Maybe they should just add Adam Carolla WITH Dr. Drew, like when they used to do Lovelines on MTV in the 90s.

Exactly! He has always been legit on Southern California radio...then he rolls into the Teen Mom reunions all "Chelsea, why are you not with Adam? He's the equivalent to Jack Dawson from the film version of "Titanic"!! I don't get it.

I do not know who is dumber in that clip Leah and her Ali missed A LOT of therapy and school but it was reasonable or Dr Drew and physical therapy is not necessary.

Our DS has mild Muscle Dystrophy and his first form of treatment and most important was physical therapy to keep the muscles flexible and build strength. His therapist also has a much better idea of his physical development and it is her recommendations that the school and doctors work off. There were days that DS was tired at both school and during therapy but the teacher and his therapist adapted on those days and worked with him. For the first 2 years of school by the end of the week he would need to take an afternoon nap, so they set up a 'quiet' corner in his classroom, during lunch and recess if he was having a bad day he would go to the art room with a group of friends and refresh. Therapists are trained to adapt they are not some ogre that is going to force a child to do therapy if it causing pain.

If Ali had not had physical therapy from early on she probably would not have walked.

• Love 6

I do not know who is dumber in that clip Leah and her Ali missed A LOT of therapy and school but it was reasonable or Dr Drew and physical therapy is not necessary.

Our DS has mild Muscle Dystrophy and his first form of treatment and most important was physical therapy to keep the muscles flexible and build strength. His therapist also has a much better idea of his physical development and it is her recommendations that the school and doctors work off. There were days that DS was tired at both school and during therapy but the teacher and his therapist adapted on those days and worked with him. For the first 2 years of school by the end of the week he would need to take an afternoon nap, so they set up a 'quiet' corner in his classroom, during lunch and recess if he was having a bad day he would go to the art room with a group of friends and refresh. Therapists are trained to adapt they are not some ogre that is going to force a child to do therapy if it causing pain.

If Ali had not had physical therapy from early on she probably would not have walked.

YUP!!

Now my health issues are nowhere near as complicated as all of that ^^ or of Ali's issues, but I've had two sessions of physical therapy.  A few years ago, for example, I couldn't go up not one stair.  They still give me issues but I can go up and down them now, along with everything else I owe physical therapy to.

I had to watch the clip a couple of times to catch Leah say "A Lot" of missed appointments-- So she basically just admitted she was lying before about it being "2 appointments"

• Love 1

Exactly! He has always been legit on Southern California radio...then he rolls into the Teen Mom reunions all "Chelsea, why are you not with Adam? He's the equivalent to Jack Dawson from the film version of "Titanic"!! I don't get it.

I think MTV's direction has a lot to do with it. They don't want any hard-hitting questions.

• Love 1

I know this is about part one but part 2 for next week says Kail reveals a huge secret.  Javi said Isaac was telling people he was having a sister a few weeks ago on twitter.  You think?  Can't wait for tonight!

• Love 1

Can someone please explain to me why physical therapy "isn't necessary" for a child with a MUSCULAR disorder? Wouldn't consistent physical therapy play a primary role in helping maintain the child's health? I'm kind of thinking that the recommendations of Dr. Tsao trump Sad Panda's opinions in this arena.

I also loved how Leah's eyes where shifting all over the place when Sad Panda asked why Cory would seek full custody and what allegations came out in court.

• Love 7

I thought Dr. Drew said that he couldn't understand the whole insurance/wheelchair thing because they KNOW that the wheelchair is beneficial, but with the physical therapy they don't really know for sure if it is or if it isn't, but yet they busted balls about the wheelchair which they know preserves Ali's health.  Ali was too tired to go to physical therapy or school apparently. 

Can someone please explain to me why physical therapy "isn't necessary" for a child with a MUSCULAR disorder? Wouldn't consistent physical therapy play a primary role in helping maintain the child's health? I'm kind of thinking that the recommendations of Dr. Tsao trump Sad Panda's opinions in this arena.

It is a head scratcher for me as well. There is a line of thinking that muscles strength needs to be conserved and everyday living/movement is enough of a strain for a person with muscle dystrophy and to do anything further will damage the muscle fibres. But (and it is huge but) from our experience of physical therapy for DS it is not pushing him to keep up with his mates, it is more gentle strengthening over time using stretching, massage and gentle exercise (swimming, core strengthening on fit ball etc)  help with co ordination and both fine and gross motor skills. Most importantly it is about finding the balance between improvement without causing further damage and for DS to learn his limit so that he can limit his activities before he gets to tired and sore.

• Love 3

Javi also denied on Twitter that Kail was pregnant. However, there is Vee.

I dunno. He probably realized his slip up too late.  Then Kail went all Hulk on him and he had to try and cover. haha I don't know. She was working out heavily and posting pics and her calorie counter every time she did. Then it stopped right about the time he posted that. That would still be too soon to know if it would be a brother or sister though. It states Kail reveals a secret.  Hmmmm, Wonder what it could be....

I think Leah is definitely having some issues with pills.  Cory seemed like he was trying to not come out and say it but clearly he noticed that something was off with her.  I also couldn't believe all the BS about Ali's physical therapy.  The physical therapist would know what is the best thing to do for Ali if she was feeling tired and if the physical therapist felt that it was best to skip those days then they wouldn't be after Leah for missing so many appointments! 

• Love 7

Did anyone catch Chelsea's face when Dr. Drew asked her if she was working while the issue with her license was being looked over?  She opened her mouth and started to say "Well" and then very quickly changed it to "No" with a sly smile on her face.  Also I definitely believe Adam on the whole "2 months" thing.  Girlfriend, I live with my ex boyfriend, we have known each other for 11 years and dated for 6 years, and we are good friends and guess what-- we have not had sex in YEARS.  I think I'm going to start calling Adam "Magic Wand" from now on.  He must have one in his pants, because we all know he doesn't have the looks.

• Love 4

Did anyone catch Chelsea's face when Dr. Drew asked her if she was working while the issue with her license was being looked over?  She opened her mouth and started to say "Well" and then very quickly changed it to "No" with a sly smile on her face.  Also I definitely believe Adam on the whole "2 months" thing.  Girlfriend, I live with my ex boyfriend, we have known each other for 11 years and dated for 6 years, and we are good friends and guess what-- we have not had sex in YEARS.  I think I'm going to start calling Adam "Magic Wand" from now on.  He must have one in his pants, because we all know he doesn't have the looks.

I just spewed tea. Magic Wand and Nipples - the manly men of Teen Mom 2.

• Love 3

ghoulina, I bet it was a special treat for you to tune into the show and get a nice little dose of Lee!

Man, I like me some Corey.  I hope these people can work out the custody issue through mediation.  I think what Corey says makes sense.  Having the kids 50% of the time seems like it would be helpful to Leah.  If she's finding her anxiety is such that she resorts to these pills that seem to cause more problems for her than help, then I think this a great solution all the way around.

• Love 2

Dr. Drew: is there any moment you wish hadn't happened?

Kail: I feel bad for giving Jo shit about a perfectly normal haircut. I didn't mean to come off as such a racist pig. I'm also sorry for exposing the shirtless portrait of me & Javi to the home viewers....just kidding! I wish my mom hadn't visited.

• Love 6

I really like Miranda and Cory. You can tell they only have the children 's interest and happiness in their hearts. Leah? Now that's a true example of a liar in complete denial! Why wouldn't she want a break from all that needs to be done to make sure those girls grow to be healthy and stable, especially a child with a disability. It clearly took it's total on her. It can't be easy at all, but my GOD! She needs to embrace their help and focus on that younger child at home and enjoy the girles being with their dad more . She is so fortunate to have A. A guy young as they were WANTING to take on this responsibility, with two , not one little girls PLUS the m.s.WOW! Good good man! And B.. The other woman (step mama). That's rare to find a woman like Miranda. willing to take all this on. GOD love her! And she's a lot more held back than I would be. Do you see how trashy those little girles look under Leah's care? Now it's back to the show. I haven't watched the part with Janelle or Kail yet. Those two make me sick! I will probably be too mad to comment . Oh and Chelsea? Yuck! Her and Adam being together as recently as a couple months. She has horrible taste in men (boys). And I wanted to smack his filthy mouth! Couldn't he show some manners and class by keeping the 'f' bomb out of every sentence? Fucking ass!

Edited by kathybgd
  • Love 3

I also loved how Leah's eyes where shifting all over the place when Sad Panda asked why Cory would seek full custody and what allegations came out in court.

Well in fairness I grew up with a very rare muscle disorder that required me to NOT have therapy. It was auto-immune and the more I worked my muscles the more my body tried to destroy my muscles. I missed a lot of appointments because when the disease flared/was active, my doctor said it would be harmful to me to work my muscles at all. However...that said... I don't think that's the case with Ali.

Leah's shady eyes were cracking me up except I kept remembering it would impact the girls.

• Love 1

Finally finished watching the whole episode and this show just made me sad!  My husband happened to walk by at one point and said "they're still teenagers?!?"  It was sort of embarrassing. 

I love all the kids. They're adorable and have so much promise!  I really liked Miranda talking about all of it.  She seems like the most mature person in the whole bunch, honestly. I was glad to see Corey talk about Ali's condition too. In the past I always thought he had doubts, but now I think he knows it's serious. I think he also values Ali's independence while she can.

It seems to me Leah's first reason for not wanting the girls to have more time at Corey's is because she won't have anything else to do. I don't doubt she loves her girls but she keeps saying "that's all I know" with regards to the girls.

It's certainly a scary thought to lose the main thing that garners all that sympathy and free babysitting. What will she whine about then? How great the girlses father is that he WANTS more time?

Dear lord, she might have to get a damn job and contribute to the bills she seems to generate.

• Love 4

According to Jenelle, the only moment she regretted was Nathan's DUI arrest being shown. Nope...no regrets about Jace. Its all good, there. *eye roll*

I'm glad Corey pretty much confirmed that Leah was visibly doped up while the girls were in her care, and thats one of the reasons he's seeking custody. Leah..you ARE an incompetent mom, and 2 missed appointments isn't why. Its been clear since you were a teen that you are lazy and the girlses are not properly cared for. And by her expressions tonight, I think she knows it.

I don't think Corey fully realized what a crap mom Leah was, until he saw the way it COULD be, when Miranda stepped in. Miranda really is a beautiful girl, inside and out, it seems.

It was funny to me, when Randy was talking about how it must be heard having two baby-mamas, and now you can't drive. He really painted a picture of what a loser Adam is, and when the camera panned to Adam he suddenly looked like a little boy, to me. His posture and demeanor seemed different.

When Dr. Douche was hounding Chelsea about her love life I couldn't help but hear ""Giggety giggety" in my head, like the skeevey neighbor from Family Guy (can't think of his name right now).

Edited by PlanetSassy
  • Love 4

Yep, teh contrast between Chelsea and Adam on the couch and Chelsea, Adam and Randy on the couch was astounding. Adam suddenly looked like a kid. I don't understand why he kept saying that all his criminal history was in the past. He was getting arrested weekly during the filming. He says he now gets it. I think not. He put s a 4 year old on a dirt bike with no helmet?  No wonder Chelsea is frustrated. I was frustrated just listening to him. 

I still think there's a lot that is not being discussed WRT leah and Corey. It isn't about a couple of missed appointments. I am guessing that it was about Leah's drug use and neglect, but there was an agreement not to talk about it on camera. When Sad Panda asked about her meds, The look on her face belied what was coming out of her mouth. 

• Love 3

Pretty smart of Chelsea to take Adam up on his offer to see the dirt bike video.  Even if he doesn't send it to her like she asked, airing that clip alone should go over well in the visitation battle.  Where are Adam's parents?  Aren't they supposed to host Aubrey visits?  How can they think the dirt bike is a good idea?  Adam seriously doesn't get it.  I completely understand Chelsea's fear about Aubrey's safety.

Leah is a mess.  I hope she gets some help and that her friends and parents stop enabling her victim mentality.  

edited because Audrey does not equal Aubrey

Edited by snarts
ghoulina, I bet it was a special treat for you to tune into the show and get a nice little dose of Lee!

Nooooo! I almost ran from the room when I saw him sitting there like a judgmental cherry tomato! Damn you, Germy. Why did you have to be on the road and make me suffer through that asshat? And I loved how Dr. Drew asked his opinion on Cory and Leah's situation and actually referred to him as "impartial". HA! 

Shit, even Dr. Drew can't remain impartial. He made some comment about how it was odd that Cory seemed to care more about Ali missing therapy, which (in his words) isn't really necessary, but wasn't on board with the chair that clearly IS necessary. What a load of BS, "doctor". First of all, who are you to say physical therapy isn't necessary? Why would Ali go if it were just for shits and giggles? And I still maintain she couldn't have missed just a few sessions with valid excuses, because I doubt she would be about to lose her spot if that were the case. And Cory NEVER said he was against the wheelchair. He just didn't want to see his daughter, who had made such strides, become completely dependent on it before she needed to be. 

They still kind of danced around the motivation behind the custody issue, but I liked that Cory did mention her drug use. If he saw her acting the way we saw on camera, I can see him being concerned. Miranda seems like such a loving and supportive wife and step-mom. He really lucked out with that one. What a breath of fresh air after dealing with Leah's ass for years. 

And I just can't with the whole Adumb-Chelsea thing. Adumb is one of the scummiest dudes we've ever seen on this show, and I'm not one to judge someone's taste in men. But how can you be so disgusted with how he treats your daughter, and still be attracted enough to lay down in bed with him? It just frustrates me because I was NOT a Chelsea supporter to begin with. Over time she made me change my mind and come to really like her, but now I am doubting myself. 

I am used to Sad Panda pussy-footing around the real issues, but last night Chelsea and Randy were both so weak it was embarrassing. It was like they were scared of Adumb, scared to really call him out. Randy insists that the car wreck must have changed Adumb....that's the thing, I don't think it HAS. I think that's just how fucked up that dude is. Because clearly he's STILL been breaking the law since then. And Chelsea has some VERY valid concerns about the safety of her daughter while she's in his care, but she just sits there and coyly laughs on the couch - like it aint no thing. What the fuck? 

I'm just over these reunions, because nothing is accomplished. If I wanted to read their pathetic cop-outs, I'd follow all of their dumbasses on Twitter. 

• Love 5

According to Jenelle, the only moment she regretted was Nathan's DUI arrest being shown. Nope...no regrets about Jace. Its all good, there. *eye roll*

Yeah, and the regret over the DUI isn't because it was horribly irresponsible, it's because it created too many "Nathan haterz!" Online.

• Love 6

Well in fairness I grew up with a very rare muscle disorder that required me to NOT have therapy. It was auto-immune and the more I worked my muscles the more my body tried to destroy my muscles. I missed a lot of appointments because when the disease flared/was active, my doctor said it would be harmful to me to work my muscles at all. However...that said... I don't think that's the case with Ali.

From what I understood about what Dr. Tsao's dx, Ali has a fairly-severe form of mitochondrial illness (part of the rare genetic illness she has) which is separate from her muscular dystrophy. Mitochondria are responsible for the function of almost every cell in the body, and since it's responsible for literally being able to create the energy necessary for cells to function, someone with mitochondrial illness is sort of like a car with a gas tank on reserve that cannot be refilled. Dr. Tsao went into it a bit in terms of how it is expected to affect her heart and brain due to inability for the cells to convert food to energy and the lack of oxygen created by the mitochondrial dysfunction. He also explained that, because her condition is so rare, he couldn't give a specific prognosis -- but it's serious for sure. There is no way to fix the mitochondrial problem other than to try to minimize the stress on the body (hence the wheelchair being the non-adjuvant therapy), but if a person with this problem is pushed, the body uses its reserves, kind of like how anorexics can die of heart failure because the heart is one of the largest muscles in the body and the last reserve after starvation that eventually gets used for energy. Hope that makes sense. It's about a balance though and following Ali's wellness in general; they have to attempt to have her stay conditioned as long as possible, but also never push beyond fatigue since Ali's body can't respond to fatigue by building more energy. 

I don't think Corey gets that aspect of her illness at all and that's why he thinks the wheelchair causes the problem or doesn't need to be used until she can no longer function, and Leah understands the severity more but can't communicate it well.

With concern to Leah's parenting, the (baby) elephant in the room was obviously that she had a 3rd child when she was completely struggling with the twins already, and she knew she had a child with health issues. It was hugely irresponsible and clearly some stupid attempt to cement her union with Germy. It's all fine and good to talk about how much the girls love the baby, but Leah bit off more than pretty much any parent could chew, and with a spouse who was never going to be there day-to-day. And now her overwhelm is clear to everyone and she can't really focus on doing just one thing well.

• Love 9

Nooooo! I almost ran from the room when I saw him sitting there like a judgmental cherry tomato!   . 

I laughed so hard that I snorted when I read this.   Is Lee really a nurse?  Is Germy really an engineer?   Neither one of them seems that smart or well educated to me.

• Love 5
I am used to Sad Panda pussy-footing around the real issues, but last night Chelsea and Randy were both so weak it was embarrassing. It was like they were scared of Adumb, scared to really call him out. Randy insists that the car wreck must have changed Adumb....that's the thing, I don't think it HAS. I think that's just how fucked up that dude is. Because clearly he's STILL been breaking the law since then. And Chelsea has some VERY valid concerns about the safety of her daughter while she's in his care, but she just sits there and coyly laughs on the couch - like it aint no thing. What the fuck?

I was also put off by Sad Panda harping about how much Aubree loves Adam. Again, and I will say it a million times, your child's love for you is not a measure of your good parenting!! Hell, children who are abused love their parents. 

Also, audience members at these tapings are usually brainless twit 18 year old girls and ask stupid questions, but I LOLed when one of them actually listed all Janelle's loser bfs and asked her if she ever considered going it alone. Of course she gave some stupid answer about how she was single for a hot second and it was really good for her. WTF? Why hasn't Sad Panda called her out on that topic? Clearly she has issues in that area. 

Nooooo! I almost ran from the room when I saw him sitting there like a judgmental cherry tomato!   .

I laughed so hard that I snorted when I read this.   Is Lee really a nurse?  Is Germy really an engineer?   Neither one of them seems that smart or well educated to me.

My best guess is Lee is an orderly. Germy can call himself an engineer, but an real engineer has a 4 year degree from an ABET accredited school. I don't see any diplomas hanging from Germy's wall. 

Speaking of occupations, WTF does Adumb do for a living? 

Edited by poeticlicensed
  • Love 4

I can't believe Adam showed that video of Aubree on his dirt bike as his defense. My heart leapt into my throat when I saw that clip. Holy crap, he let her ride around with him on that thing without a helmet???? Forget about the whole "You don't have a license" thing. License or not, why in the world would you let a four-year-old do that helmet-less? I wanted to clock him.

Why is Lee here? No, I know why he's here (Jeremy couldn't make it), but why is he here? Go away, no one wants to hear your "impartial" opinion. Regarding Leah, I feel bad for her but also don't. Even if Corey taking the girlses full-time, primary custody, is what's best for them and even if Leah herself admitted that to be true, it can't be an easy thing to do, or hear. Of course she doesn't want to lose her babies, or have it decided that she is not doing a good job as a mom or that she isn't taking care of them properly. That hurts. But ... maybe she really isn't doing the best job. I would have a bit more sympathy for her if that was the bulk of her sadness and frustration, but instead it's more about "The girls are my life, without them I have nothing because being a SAHM is all I know." So she needs the girlses with her to validate her existence? Okay. It also annoys me that she seems so fixated on the "two" missed appointments as the reasoning for her not doing a good job when it's obvious to everyone, including her, that there's more to it than that. Thank you to Corey for coming out and confirming what we've all suspected, that it's also because Leah is on the meds too much.

• Love 2

With concern to Leah's parenting, the (baby) elephant in the room was obviously that she had a 3rd child when she was completely struggling with the twins already,

Add to that the fact that Jeremy is only home on Saturdays! So one day a week she has a co-parent.  Oh but he's home "more" now so it's great.  I loved when Dr. Drew asked her if he gets to come home for long stretches and she was like "YES! I mean, when he gets laid off" and you could tell Dr. Drew was like "What? No.  That isn't what I... moving on"

ETA: Not to say that there aren't tons of single parents around the world who handle three kids on their own, without even a single day of co-parenting.  But Leah has shown that these numbers and situations overwhelm her.  Why wouldn't she accept the shared time with Corey?  Because of money.  She doesn't want to have to pay him child support.  It is just so transparent. 

Edited by MelineB13
  • Love 2
edited because Audrey does not equal Aubrey

You may have to edit it again because it is spelled "Aubree".

I don't think Corey gets that aspect of her illness at all and that's why he thinks the wheelchair causes the problem or doesn't need to be used until she can no longer function

I wholeheartedly believe Cory, by the time this show was filmed, knew the need for the wheelchair. He really got it during that scene when Cory first mentioned to his dad how Leah had missed therapy appointments and the discussion of the chair came up.  His dad explained it to him during that conversation when Cory expressed his fears that the chair would be more of a novelty.

"YES! I mean, when he gets laid off"

This is the thing that I have in the back of my head about the issues with finances. Jeremy's job may not be a job that he has throughout the year. 

Edited by GreatKazu
  • Love 1

I gave that the serious side eye, too. Germy's title might include something like engineer, but like more sanitation engineer, not nuclear, mechanical or anything that requires a college degree. Lee is probably a nursing assistant. Leah is definitely a big fat liar. How do they go to couples therapy when he's home one day a week?

Dr. Drew is such an asshat. I did like how he pressed Adumb about the driving and Aubrey on the dirt bike, but hated the way he kept pushing Corey instead of Leah. And why didn't he mention how the wheelchair isn't a toy to be shared? He sucks. Having Adam C there would be great to add a snarky dose of reality.

• Love 1

I am so disappointed in some of the choices these girls have made, beyond having a baby as a teen. MTV has basically handed them a gift that they would be able to spin into financial security, an education, career, etc. Chelsea is the exception. Although it took her FOREVER to get her GED and her cosmetology school diploma, she now has a decent career and  a house. She didn't decided to pop out another baby, whch would have made getting anywhere career wise many times harder.

I really thought Kail was on the right track, but she decided that it was a great time to get married and pop out another one. At least she did finish school, so she could theoretically go back once the MTV money is gone. At least she bought a house. But the amt of money they waste on stupid shit like cars, is ridic.  

janelle has done nothing, zero, except hook up with losers, have another baby and use her MTV money for cars and drugs. What's she gonna do when the cameras go away and Nathan is gone too? How will she support her kids, or will it become Barb's problem?

Leah, don't get me started. She had twins, one with special needs and decided to have another on top of it with a husband who is gone 90% of the time. And she admits they have money problems and that's with the MTV money. She's only 22 and being a SAHM is all she has ever known. I'm not knocking SAHMs, but it's going to be super hard for her to go back in the workforce anyway, with 3 kids, compounded by the fact that she has no education, so skills, 

• Love 3

You may have to edit it again because it is spelled "Aubree".

I wholeheartedly believe Cory, by the time this show was filmed, knew the need for the wheelchair. He really got it during that scene when Cory first mentioned to his dad how Leah had missed therapy appointments and the discussion of the chair came up.  His dad explained it to him during that conversation when Cory expressed his fears that the chair would be more of a novelty.

I also think that by now Corey understands why Ali needs the wheel chair, though he was in denial at first. He showed he'd come around when he asked to take the loaner chair with them on the trip to the zoo. Of by then the sucker was "broke" as Leah would say. Which reminds me, did these people go to school? Leah's command of English grammar is shockingly poor. Corey has his slips but seems to be trying to be more articulate and has improved, which is maybe whey we hear him speaking a bit more these days.

• Love 1