Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E04: Blind Auditions (4)

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Thank goodness Blake turned for that returning 17-year-old kid who looked twelve. I can't take a bevy of people who can't sing AND young heartbreak on the same show.

Why aren't these singers getting any better? Has the talent pool for these singing shows dried up? Are the good singers not interested in this sort of thing anymore because they can build their own fanbase on youtube? I find it unbelievable that this is the best the talent scouts can find.

• Love 6

I love Pharrell; I love him even more because he has the mental quickness, spoken ability and stellar musical credentials to smack down Adam. That's worth me sitting through these awful singing performances. :)

• Love 12

It seems like there are so many 4 chair turns this season - in season's past it was like big deal and they'd even make comments about 'you were a 4 chair turn...'  This year it's more like...'bless his / her heart, they only got some of the judges to turn'.

• Love 4

I didn't think the first girl singer that Pharrell said he's been seeking for his label was all that great. I don't think he was being disingenious, but I guess he heard something that I can't hear over the teevee.

I still continue to be underwhelmed by the talent this year.

Also, I don't really understand how anyone could choose Adam over Pharrell and even Blake. Maybe it's because I think he's a colossal douchecanoe, but I would never pick him in a million years.

Gwen didn't bug me as much tonight as she usually does; maybe she needed a couple shows under her belt to calm down.

I'll continue to watch, but I'm not having that much fun... I'll be watching just to see my sweetie, Pharrell.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 2

I didn't know much about Pharrell before this but now I'm a big fan of his. What a genuine human being.

Most of the singers were just "meh" for me, especially the female singers. Because I have a high-frequency hearing loss, most of the times when they were are hitting or trying to hit their glory notes, it just sounded like screaming to me.

I did enjoy the man who sang Gravity but I wish he enunciated a bit better. I also enjoyed the guy Chad?  Wayne Boyd who sang "The Whiskey isn't working".

• Love 1

I didn't think the first girl singer that Pharrell said he's been seeking for his label was all that great. I don't think he was being disingenious, but I guess he heard something that I can't hear over the teevee.

She wasn't that great; however, her talent was present and she could be molded into the kind of music star most people like.  I saw her and said, "Yep, that is what you want at a label. Someone you can teach."

I am loving Pharrell right now. Even if she doesn't win this show, he would probably sign her to his label. 

• Love 3
Thank goodness Blake turned for that returning 17-year-old kid who looked twelve. I can't take a bevy of people who can't sing AND young heartbreak on the same show.

I felt bad for him because I thought no one was going to turn and he would be crushed, then I thought, aw no...they wouldn't have aired that because that would suck.   I still don't think he's ready and maybe it was nerves(plus his voice sounds like it's still changing) but I didn't think he sounded that good. Unless he has some kind of great future performance, I can see him getting crushed by anyone he battles against.  (watch...I'm totally wrong and he makes it to the finals! )

No one has really blown me away yet. (like a Tess Ann type talent)  

Has Adam and Blake both won three times?

Edited by Valny

Also, I don't really understand how anyone could choose Adam over Pharrell and even Blake. Maybe it's because I think he's a colossal douchecanoe, but I would never pick him in a million years.

The stink is really strong on him this season.   I think it's desperation, but Pharrell makes him look even worse without  trying.  To me there's always been something inherently fake about Adam's pitches, and Pharrell's sincerity in talking to the contestants really highlights that.

Gwen is Pharrell's Boo, and you can tell he and Blake are cool with each other, but I'm not seeing much of a bond with Pharrell and Adam.  Maybe I am completely wrong on that, but it's not coming through to me as much as with the other two.

I liked the guy who sang "Gravity".  I'm tempted to say he chose the wrong coach, but he has potential to be Adam's Bro of the season.

• Love 5

One thing that I have really hated is that sometimes the coaches don't turn until the last second. I feel like that is just really mean to the performer, they think no one is turning for them. They either turn at the last second or they only turn when someone else does because they are in stupid competition with one another to try to "steal" the performer away. They should think about the person standing on the stage waiting for someone to turn around, instead of playing these stupid games. It's fine if they did this once in awhile but I noticed tonight it happened a lot. So irritating.

I thought the first girl who sang was better than any 15 year that had ever previously been on the show. Could she unlearn some of that training like Gwen said? Sure. But she has great control over her runs, which not many 15 year olds have.

I did enjoy the kid who came back that looks more like he's 10 than 17. He has a nice tone.

It irritates me a lot when all 4 of them turn immediately for a mediocre singer but then by the end there are some truly fabulous singers (Hawaii guy? Why did no one turn for him?) and they take until the last second to turn and maybe they only get 1 or 2 chairs. Makes. No. Sense. I guess they turn right away for a good fodder contestant. Seriously I don't know how that awful girl who sang Problem got chair turns but the 15 year old who did At Last took forever to get a chair turn? It makes it more and more obvious to me that the coaches all have producers in their ears telling them which contestants to turn for. I'm sure that's why returning contestants "always" get picked (as Gwen said), because producers probably tell them to turn because otherwise it would be really embarrassing and humiliating for a returning contestant to get rejected twice. I have to wonder how many of these people they really want to turn for and the rest are producer driven.

Also don't feel like time should be wasted on those who don't go through, unless there is something really interesting about their audition. Why do some of them who get chosen get montaged while we waste 10 minutes going through a reject's story and audition? Why do we care if they aren't on the show? The rejects are the ones who should get montaged. The people who made it through worked just as hard to be on the show and even though they actually were good enough to make a team, they only get 90 seconds of airtime combined? Maybe some of us wanted to hear those auditions. And it could really hurt those contestants going into the later rounds if we were never introduced to them.

• Love 3

One thing that I have really hated is that sometimes the coaches don't turn until the last second. I feel like that is just really mean to the performer, they think no one is turning for them. They either turn at the last second or they only turn when someone else does because they are in stupid competition with one another to try to "steal" the performer away. They should think about the person standing on the stage waiting for someone to turn around, instead of playing these stupid games. It's fine if they did this once in awhile but I noticed tonight it happened a lot. So irritating.

Why? If these kids don't want to feel the sadness, maybe pick the right song that highlights their abilities at the beginning? (It's already "forgiving" enough that they get to sing until the end, versus a resume where your app will be tossed if you can't impress in the first 2-3 sentences). And I say kids, because adults should be able to handle rejection. In this industry! Heck, parents can encourage and praise their kids singing all they way, but they should also prepare them for the real world - "you are not going to get a yes every single time."

I have no idea how the singers pick their songs. Do they select from a list of "approved" songs, or can they sing whatever they want? To a certain extent, of course; no one is gonna be allowed to sing a song filled with inappropriate words. For the luckier ones who got a chair to turn despite their shitty song choice or shitty singing, maybe the judges didn't hear anything they cared for until a glory note toward the end, or an amazing run after the chorus, or a pity button press.

I know for me, that one girl who sang Jewel's Foolish Games - 5 notes in, I was saying to myself "wrong song, girl". She may be an amazing singer, but I'd never know because she picked the wrong song for her voice; plus there's nothing in her presentation+personality that made me want to go youtube her name. In fact, I found her bitch-face right after singing to be rather off putting.

And then there's shenanigans like Matthew Schuler, a 4 chair after like 8 seconds of singing.

• Love 1

Why? If these kids don't want to feel the sadness, maybe pick the right song that highlights their abilities at the beginning? (It's already "forgiving" enough that they get to sing until the end, versus a resume where your app will be tossed if you can't impress in the first 2-3 sentences). And I say kids, because adults should be able to handle rejection. In this industry! Heck, parents can encourage and praise their kids singing all they way, but they should also prepare them for the real world - "you are not going to get a yes every single time."

I have no idea how the singers pick their songs. Do they select from a list of "approved" songs, or can they sing whatever they want? To a certain extent, of course; no one is gonna be allowed to sing a song filled with inappropriate words. For the luckier ones who got a chair to turn despite their shitty song choice or shitty singing, maybe the judges didn't hear anything they cared for until a glory note toward the end, or an amazing run after the chorus, or a pity button press.

I know for me, that one girl who sang Jewel's Foolish Games - 5 notes in, I was saying to myself "wrong song, girl". She may be an amazing singer, but I'd never know because she picked the wrong song for her voice; plus there's nothing in her presentation+personality that made me want to go youtube her name. In fact, I found her bitch-face right after singing to be rather off putting.

And then there's shenanigans like Matthew Schuler, a 4 chair after like 8 seconds of singing.

But they don't do it because they are "waiting" for a certain thing or because the person didn't choose a good song. We see their facial expressions or see them toying with the idea pressing the button and then backing off. They purposely wait until the last second because they think it adds drama or something. We see them nodding, smiling, and making comments like "He's got a great voice!" and yet they don't turn around. If they think they are so great, why do they wait so long to turn?

They have to get their songs cleared for TV. So they can't exactly sing anything. They must have the rights to be able to sing it on the show and also record the song for iTunes.

As someone who tried out for The Voice this year and literally no one from my group of 10 people were chosen to go through for a callback, I know just how tough it is to even get on this show. I feel like some viewers are way too harsh on the singers when they probably can't even carry a tune in a bucket themselves. It is very hard to get up in front of people and sing, and get someone to turn for you. They are ALL going to be nervous in the first few seconds of their singing. I know the feeling all too well. Nobody's audition is going to be flawless. Even the coaches themselves get nervous when they have to perform- it happens to everyone, whether you've only been doing it for a few years or a few decades. I doubt any of the coaches would get a chair turn. Although knowing how hard it is to get on the show to begin with, I do have to wonder how some of the truly crappy singers (girl who sang Problem?) got on this show. What they told my group this year was that they had raised the bar very high for the next season, maybe it's because Season 7 seems underwhelming so far? Unless you have auditioned in front of people before or stood on a stage in front of people before, you don't even understand the feeling of what it's like to try to impress people or get some kind of positive feedback and they give you nothing. It's not an easy thing to do at all and the least the coaches could do is turn when they feel like they want to, not playing these dumb games and making the contestant nearly burst into tears thinking no one is turning for them. In my opinion it's stupid and mean.

• Love 4

Also don't feel like time should be wasted on those who don't go through, unless there is something really interesting about their audition. Why do some of them who get chosen get montaged while we waste 10 minutes going through a reject's story and audition? Why do we care if they aren't on the show? The rejects are the ones who should get montaged. The people who made it through worked just as hard to be on the show and even though they actually were good enough to make a team, they only get 90 seconds of airtime combined? Maybe some of us wanted to hear those auditions. And it could really hurt those contestants going into the later rounds if we were never introduced to them.

I don't know.  Kristen Merlin made it very far last season despite being montaged through both the blind auditions and the battle rounds and almost made the finale but for the B.S. last-minute Twitter Save so obviously used to save Christina.

• Love 2

Note to Gwen:  Shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up,shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up,shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up,shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up,shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up.  What is zero?  The number of fucks I give about who you think is "so cute".  Shut up.

• Love 4

The Voice has yet to make anybody a household name. The show is more about the star power of the judges. The contestants are almost an afterthought. So it's really no wonder that the talent pool has shrunk. Why go the trouble when the spector of elimination is always looming, and the thrill associated with a possible win soon gives way to a one way ticket back to obscurity.

Edited by Hpmec
  • Love 3

The Voice has yet to make anybody a household name. The show is more about the star power of the judges. The contestants are almost an afterthought. So it's really no wonder that the talent pool has shrunk. Why go the trouble when the spector of elimination is always looming, and the thrill associated with a possible win soon gives way to a one way ticket back to obscurity.

Because they can get exposure to millions of people?

Success is just a matter of thinking.  A lot of these people who have made the top 10 now are muscians full time.  They get to do something they love for a living and not the 9 to 5 rat race.  People always compare this to Kelly or Carrie or whoever from American Idol but you just can't.  The music business, hell the world is way different than it was back then.    They make their money playing live now.  Picking up fans across the country if you are on the show is WELL worth it.

Amy Whitcomb who was a montage person and a favorite of mine from The Sing Off has been very candid about her time on the show.  She said for the blind auditions they get a list of 100 songs and list them in order of what they would want to sing.  The producers pick the song they will sing and that's that.  You might get your top song or you might get number 99.  She's a good example of an awesome singer that people might have wondered why was on the show.  She killed it on The Sing Off but had bad nerves with this show.  Then again Adam sent her home and kept Caroline during knockouts when, in my opinion, she wiped the floor with Caroline.  That's Adam though. 

I think the ones we think are awful do some part of the song that shows the judges some kind of potential.  I'm not a muscian so I wouldn't be able to tell something like that.  The talent pool does seem to be rather shallow this year though, and it is sad when the country dude from last night is my favorite, considering I HATE country music.  My faith in the talent of this year really faltered with the last person singing last night.  I mean seriously that spot has always been held for the people that will blow us away.  That is the best they got this year?

Unlike a lot of others I really like Gwen on the show.  She beats Shakira by a pinch in the pitch department, and God anything is better than Christina.

• Love 5

I was glad that, to me, some of the auditionees were better than Monday's group. I wonder if since these are not live auditions, the clips are packaged by production. Maybe Monday's group was a lesser group, since Monday's viewership might be less, competing with DWTS and Big Bang.  Why waste the best talent on a night when people may not be watching?  I also think sometimes the judges wait to the last minute to turn so that no one else will jump in. There does seem to be a good bit of "Well, he turned his chair, so maybe I should, too."  Or, just the judges' drama. For me, that is about half the show - watching the shenanigans of the judges. In that regard, I miss Usher.  Thought he was a good foil for Blake.  The Blondes all run together.

• Love 1

Oh, see, I FLOVED Matthew Schuler's audition. IMHO, it was the only really good performance he did in his time on the show and I still love him to this day for it.

I know, I know, everyone went crazy over "Hallelujah" and he did a nice job with it, but it bugs me that he smiled all the way through it (even though he has a lovely smile) and it's so overdone anyway. It's not a song of praise, people, it's dark.

Having said that, Jeff Buckley's version is my all time favourite, followed by 4 European guys I found on youtube a few years ago; I think one of them won one of the European singing shows. A couple of them had stunning (TM Gordon Ramsay) voices.

Sorry, didn't mean to veer off topic... intended to jump in and defend Matthew's "Cough Syrup" but I got sidetracked.

Edited by PepperMonkey

I hate country music with the passion of a thousand flaming nuns (to resurrect a little TwOp-speak), but I'll be damned if I didn't like the country dude in the sweet fringe vest who sang that Travis Tritt song. I can't even explain it. He seemed professional but also like he was having a lot of fun, which is a combination that seems hard to come by on The Voice.

The last guy-- Cracker Barrel-- didn't strike me as being a very good singer, so I didn't understand all the chair turns. But a big guy shaking like a leaf while he holds a microphone is kind of endearing. 

• Love 2

I loved the "here we go again" reaction of Adam to the start of "Pretty Woman". I gather it's a standby he hears a lot in the auditions, but no one is able to do justice to it.

Is Tanner's retro haircut something coming back in style, or is his barber 80 years old? He looks like a kid who just stepped out of a classic TV show.

• Love 1

Two thoughts I had that are random while watching.

1. I wonder, since this is taped previously, if sometimes the hovering hand/pull back thing is something the judge did at one time and then gets re-used in the taped production, like it just gets spliced in to add drama. 

2. I think the sound quality through the tv is much different than a studio built specifically for the competition that most likely has a lot of sound specific stuff built in.  Because there are always multiple-chair turn arounds that I just don't get. 

• Love 1

A friend of mine was lucky enough to go last year? I think during the battle rounds.  After watching it live and then on TV she said everything is much better live.  She couldn't account for the montaged people which she said were so horrible they were downright embarrassing.  One of them was that little emo blonde girl everyone was freaking over after her blind audition and then didn't make it to the lives.  Holly I think it was?  She said it was just BAD.

• Love 1

I love how Adam is not getting most of the non-country four chair turns.  He has to work a lot harder this season.  With that being said, I can see why somebody would choose Adam over Pharrel.  You can tell when Pharrel really wants somebody like the first girl last night.  Sometimes, he turns around and his pitch is nice sounding but you can tell he's not that excited.  For the Gravity guy, I can see why he picked Adam.  Adam gave him specifc critque on how to improve.  Pharrel just said that he liked how he laid it on the line but he didn't really give that much feedback.  He didn't seem that excited to me.

• Love 1

Lyndsey Parker attending the taping and has some interesting comments on a couple of the contestants: https://music.yahoo.com/blogs/reality-rocks/-the-voice--blind-auditions--pt--4--at-last-104130527.html

She said the reason why Adam didn't turn for the first girl is because his team was already full by then, so they are airing some of these out of order. The other thing she writes is about that girl with the dead mom who went on Gwen's team. She said she had a really obnoxious attitude and actually asked Gwen and Blake to have a dance off over her, which they declined, and the studio was filled with awkward silence. Funny.

• Love 2

I always wondered why they didn't have the judges change clothes periodically during the blinds so the episodes actually looked like separate episodes each week, but I guess that allows them to show them out of order for the sake of suspense or drama. Tricksters!

I was bummed no one turned for the Hawaiian guy. I wonder if they were all close to having full teams at that point, and are thus more picky. It seems like the people auditioning late get the short end of the stick.

• Love 2

Yeah I have never liked that. Unfortunately the people auditioning later have a harder time getting chosen, even though some of them are really great. I hate how the judges are too eager in the beginning and they pick up mediocre singers but then they start to get picky when their teams are closer to getting filled… Not fair to the singers that go later. 

In last night's episode the coaches were all talking backstage to each other and were saying stuff like "Today I hope we find great talent," or "Today is going to be great," implying it was another day they were filming, so that means they wore the same clothes twice? I always thought auditions took place throughout one day and that was why the coaches never changed their clothes. 

Does it seem quite a bit more evident this time around who is being picked for fodder?

Or am I jaded, and too wise to the ways of this show?

With some of those four-chair turns, there are a couple of coaches whose facial expressions say "I'm actually not interested in you at all."  Blake, especially, barely even tries to win some of the people he turns for.

I used to enjoy blinds, but this time I can't wait for them to end.

• Love 1

I think so. I think Lyndsay talked about this in one of her Reality Rocks videos where she noticed that some of the coaches turned too soon and then once they heard more of the song, realized they had made a mistake and you could see on their faces they didn't want this person anymore. I do think some of the fodder is obvious. That girl who sang Problem? Yikes. Menlik? He is an easy matchup for Anita in the battles. 

I started paying attention to The Voice in Season 4 and mostly kept up to date with blogs throughout seasons 4-6. I'd watch the videos that interested me. But Season 7 is the first season I am actively watching live. I said I wasn't going to get sucked into it, but I happened to turn it on on the first episode about 4 singers in and I was done. Damn it, I always enjoy watching new undiscovered talent and I'm a big fan of singing shows. They got me. So I didn't know if maybe me getting bored by the blinds was just because I hadn't watched the process before, or if they are really getting that boring. I find myself wishing we'd get to the battles already too. That is where it really gets exciting. 

I'm so glad that Pharrell came along to challenge Adam, king of the 4 chair turns. It's very entertaining to watch. I think what Adam does very well is make people feel like they really are special to him, like he truly cares. Adam acts like he'll just DIE if you don't pick him, and it's gotta be hard to resist that level of positive intensity and adoration (and dimples). Unless Pharrell starts speaking directly to your spirit, as he does.

I've got to say, I agree with the coaches in the vast majority of non-turns. Some of them are good but they're missing something, either in that particular performance or in general.

Edited by glitterpants
  • Love 1

I also think part of Adam's draw is that he has won twice. And I hear a lot of these contestants saying "I was going to pick [coach A] but [coach B] sold me." Maybe Adam's pitches sound irresistible in person? He does have a reputation for dumping good contestants though. I'm still mad at him for dumping Midas Whale in Season 4 for Amber Carrington. Not that she was bad, her performance in the Knockouts was stronger than theirs, but I thought they had a lot of potential on the show and they have managed to make great music outside of the show. Those guys could have gone all the way, in my opinion, so Adam really dropped the ball on that one. Especially since in that season he did not have any contestants in the finals. He got lucky with Tessanne.

A friend of mine was lucky enough to go last year? I think during the battle rounds.  After watching it live and then on TV she said everything is much better live. 

Yeah, I attended a taping last season and definitely agree with this. The sound you hear in the studio just doesn't always translate on film. Whichever episode it was that Christina Grimmie did the Drake song, and I was surprised at how good everyone sounded live vs. when I watched it back later that night. You could sort of tell who was going to be on the bottom, but that had less to do with lack of vocal prowess and more to do with some singers were less in command of the stage than others. Even Blake, whose music is not really my cup of tea, was taping a performance that they aired in another episode, and he sounded amazing live. His voice was so powerful and resonant. So I guess I'm not entirely shocked that the judges are turning around for people that we at home might be scratching our heads over. I'm sure quite a few of these singers are more impressive when you're watching them in person.

Edited by KFC
  • Love 2

Lyndsey Parker attending the taping and has some interesting comments on a couple of the contestants: https://music.yahoo.com/blogs/reality-rocks/-the-voice--blind-auditions--pt--4--at-last-104130527.html

She said the reason why Adam didn't turn for the first girl is because his team was already full by then, so they are airing some of these out of order. The other thing she writes is about that girl with the dead mom who went on Gwen's team. She said she had a really obnoxious attitude and actually asked Gwen and Blake to have a dance off over her, which they declined, and the studio was filled with awkward silence. Funny.

I am just too jaded for this show.  When they did the package about her mother dying all I could think was it was 17 years ago.  While it sounds horrible, at some point you do need to move on.  Enough with the sob stories.  

• Love 4

It's sad that, like last season, there are so many 4-chair turns.  Though I guess with this mostly lackluster pool, the coaches might feel like they can't be that selective.

Not sure why many think Adam has not been as successful in the 4-chair turn category.  So far this season, they have gone 5 for Adam, 1 for Gwen, 4 for Pharrell, and 1 for Blake.  If anything, Pharrell has been challenging Blake more.  (In season 6, four-chair turns went 4 for Adam, 1 for Shakira, 2 for Usher, and 4 for Blake.)

I always thought auditions took place throughout one day and that was why the coaches never changed their clothes.

Blind auditions are filmed over a few days.  The coaches wear the same outfits so the auditions can be shown out of order.  Same thing goes for the other pre-taped rounds.   

• Love 1

I am just too jaded for this show.  When they did the package about her mother dying all I could think was it was 17 years ago.  While it sounds horrible, at some point you do need to move on.  Enough with the sob stories.  

I'm more shaking my head at what she did out there on the stage than how long ago her mother's death was.  I mean, really?  How conceited is that to make them do that for her?  I'm glad they turned her entitled, haughty ass down.

Edited by Donny Ketchum

To me there's always been something inherently fake about Adam's pitches, and Pharrell's sincerity in talking to the contestants really highlights that.

You can say that A MILLION TIMES again.  He is just - - Arggh.  I can't think of a word - he's that horrible.  SOMEONE AT NBC - PLEASE GET ADAM OFF MY TELEVISION!

As someone who tried out for The Voice this year and literally no one from my group of 10 people were chosen to go through for a callback, I know just how tough it is to even get on this show. I feel like some viewers are way too harsh on the singers when they probably can't even carry a tune in a bucket themselves. It is very hard to get up in front of people and sing, and get someone to turn for you. They are ALL going to be nervous in the first few seconds of their singing. I know the feeling all too well. Nobody's audition is going to be flawless. Even the coaches themselves get nervous when they have to perform- it happens to everyone, whether you've only been doing it for a few years or a few decades.

ICAM.  ALmost no one with amazing chops who already knows how to use them would audition for this or any other show.  (I said - almost - )  I think the judges are looking for potential - not for omg the greatest singer I've ever heard.  Potential.  The greatest singer you've ever heard is not going to be on this show.  But I've heard some singers her e- not the the greatest singers I've ever heard - who I'd like to hear a lot more.

• Love 1

I've been enjoying watching to see which coach has subsequently decided, after turning his/her chair around and listening to the performance to the end, that they really don't want that person on their team and how they manage to dissuade the person from actually choosing him/her.

I'm sort of getting tired of all the tales of woe and tragedy too.  I thought that woman's mother had just died recently, not 17 years ago, the way she was getting all choked up.  She was sort of the icing on the cake for my growing dislike over the stretches the producers are making to insert human interest elements into the backstories.  I mean, like I'm supposed to be in awe of a 16 year old who's wanted to be a singer all her life - all brief 16 years of it?  The majority of us, if we've lived long enough, have had tragedy in our lives and while I don't want to be cynical about people's real motives behind why they are pursuing a musical career, sometimes I just roll my eyes at the reasons they give.

I think that the older, more professional singers are usually at a disadvantage on this show.  It's probably very easy for the judges to tell who they are, without even seeing them, and I'm guessing that they probably think that there isn't going to be much of a chance of improving them beyond what they've already achieved on their own,  Perhaps it might be harder to wean them away from any singing idiosyncrasies that the coaches noticed.

There is some degree of inconsistency in what they say as opposed to who they choose.  For some classic songs, they seem to want a note-by-note duplication of the original artist's phrasing, yet in other instances, they chide the performer for not making the song their own and stayng too close to the original.  I can't quite figure out why some songs are apparently sacrosanct while others aren't.  Makes me wonder if they had listened to Clapton do the acoustic version of "Layla", would they have turned around because it was an entirely new interpretation of the song, or snubbed him because he changed it too much?  ;->

• Love 2
There is some degree of inconsistency in what they say as opposed to who they choose.  For some classic songs, they seem to want a note-by-note duplication of the original artist's phrasing, yet in other instances, they chide the performer for not making the song their own and stayng too close to the original.  I can't quite figure out why some songs are apparently sacrosanct while others aren't.

I think that if people are gonna make the songs their own, it has got to stand out from the original version; whether it's better, fresher, more interesting etc. Everyone's taste is different, so the definition of better/fresher/interesting differs. I love Tessanne's version of Bridge over Troubled Waters, but many find it too screamy or too gospel-y. On the flip side, Christian Porter's Sexy and I Know It.... the judges were like "omg so unique and different, imaginative arrangement, you take such big risk" blah blah blah, when it's a total copycat of Noah Guthrie's version.

Certain rendition of certain songs are untouchable to certain people, that includes the judges. Or cynically.... the whole thing is rigged, and half of each teams are pre-selected, the rest are fodders. As long as the pre-selected people don't poop on stage Avery style, they are guaranteed to make it to Lives.

I get it. Like that guy doing Pretty Woman- it was like hearing a tribute artist. If we want to hear the original, we'll listen to Roy. (Plus we've heard it a million times, so surprise us with a different but good version).

On the other hand, for Everybody Wants To Rule The World, it's a song that the coaches all probably grew up on and loved, (age-wise except Pharrell) one that no one ever usually covers and therefore one that they were excited to hear.

And then the guy mangled it. If the guy wanted to change it up, he could have done it a acoustic or country, but he needed to stick to the melody and not mess it up with weird flourishes--cause the Coaches loved the melody and were missing it.

Edited by Cramps
  • Love 2

I hate country music with the passion of a thousand flaming nuns (to resurrect a little TwOp-speak), but I'll be damned if I didn't like the country dude in the sweet fringe vest who sang that Travis Tritt song. I can't even explain it. He seemed professional but also like he was having a lot of fun, which is a combination that seems hard to come by on The Voice.

It was his package.  Not the one before he sang but the one in his tight fitting hip hugging jeans....Oh yeah.  I noticed the jacket half way through his song (only because it got in front of his package) and his really bad hair at the end when he hugged Blake.  I hope they fix it some how.  I don't mind it being long maybe it just needed a wash or some product I am not sure. 

I like Gwen's note on the 15-year-old's "At Last" audition: to make it sound less rehearsed and perfect, to strip it down. (Christina would have said the same thing I imagine, like she did to many versions of this girl.)

• Love 1

I'm enjoying Gwen & Pharrell, but I'm reserving judgement on how effective they will both be as mentors.  Both are extremely accomplished, but for Pharrell in particular, his ascent into the heavens and huge noteriety to the general public is fairly recent.  More so than Gwen, I think.  She's been a lead singer, pop pricess & fashion inspiration in front of the mass markets for a long time.  Pharrell has had a less visible, yet still incredibly effective role in popular music, unless you're an industry insider.   But people definitely know who he is now.

Gwen does make note of things she would improve/change/eliminate when "pitching" to the various singers, while Pharrell sticks with the same "I'll make you a better you" for most performers.  I don't recall him getting into specifics with anybody, but I may not have heard it. 

As we all know, song choices are going to have a huge impact.  Those are the rounds I enjoy most, because the contestants haven't spent years dialing in that single song or genre to perfection the way they can often do with the auditions.  It can quickly separate the real talents from the gifted mimics.   

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 1

I don't think the judges (or the producers) give too much of a flip about who they can mold and mentor as a potential recording artist, or even into a better live singer/performer.  That might have been a big part of the original premise of the show, but it's an increasingly small part of it, imo.  It might have remained a more important piece had the show actually managed to produce a succesful winner.

The show is not trying to find a future successful recording artist, nor is it trying to find a great, undiscovered talent, imo.  It's trying to make a television show as entertaining as possible to increase ratings, so as to increase advertising dollars.  Given those assumptions, which I think are more than reasonable, it's the judges' jobs (with a LOT of producer input about who they want to make it to the live rounds) to entertain the viewers by putting through the contestants they think will be liked the most by viewers, and keep the viewers tuning in.   Which contestants are more likely to meet those objectives depends entirely on what demographic is tuning into the show. 

If the audience is skewing female, more mature, and more midwest or southern, the show isn't interested in finding the next Justin Bieber.   However, I predict the show is very interested in keeping around an older Travis Tritt-type country singer who wears tight jeans and resembles a heftier Bo Bice.   I'm calling it now, that guy (whose name I don't remember) is in the final 3, no matter whose auditions we have yet to see.

• Love 3

I thought the first girl who sang was better than any 15 year that had ever previously been on the show. Could she unlearn some of that training like Gwen said? Sure. But she has great control over her runs, which not many 15 year olds have.

I did enjoy the kid who came back that looks more like he's 10 than 17. He has a nice tone.

It irritates me a lot when all 4 of them turn immediately for a mediocre singer but then by the end there are some truly fabulous singers (Hawaii guy? Why did no one turn for him?) and they take until the last second to turn and maybe they only get 1 or 2 chairs. Makes. No. Sense. ven.

I wonder how big a disadvantage it is to go when there are only a few spots left. It often seems like people might have gotten a few chair turns if they'd only performed earlier.

re: 15 year old. I usually hate it when people do runs--also when they drastically change the melody--and she did both. But I liked her choices with both things because it seemed very mature and intentional.  She seems unusually poised, like a Danielle Bradbury, and if Pharrell is as sincere as he seems, he could do very well with her. I am really looking forward to watching him coach. (And love it that Adam seems to have lost his advantage in 3 and 4 chair turns).

I also enjoyed Tanner (young looking 17 year old)--such a heartfelt vocal--and was so glad Blake chose him. He's kind enough that when the competition gets him eliminated, he'll soften the blow for him.

Really enjoying Gwen and Pharrell who are both willing to fight for the singers they want (unlike Ceelo 100% of the time and Christina and Usher some of the time. Then there was Shakira who was so likeable but whose pitches were so ineffective. I think Gwen is an improvement over that. I'm not feeling embarrassed for her not getting people like I did for Shakira and, especially, CeeLo).

I think the singing is pretty much on par with past seasons (though I expect they're saving some of the "best for last"). The coaching might actually be good this year and maybe Pharrell will bring some of the imaginative staging that was CeeLo's specialty in S1.

Edited by Padma

I love Pharrell; I love him even more because he has the mental quickness, spoken ability and stellar musical credentials to smack down Adam. That's worth me sitting through these awful singing performances. :)

This is the exact same reason I'm enjoying this season so much. I used to be a huge fan of Maroon 5, but after watching Adam on 3 seasons of The Voice, the love I had for the band has diminished.

And has anyone else noticed that Behati (Adam's blushing new bride) is in a lot of the commercials they show? They have her on the VS ads and the Joe Fresh ads as well....or maybe that's just in the Canadian version?