Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E01: Renaissance

You would think David Clarke's first move would be to let his daughter know he's alive. Just sayin'

Well this is the same guy that left his daughter a virtual road map to revenge (and her own destruction) while claiming to not want her to actually take such revenge.  I think the only innocent characters in this story will turn out to be Amanda age 9 and Jack age 10, poor dead Declan, and Sammy the dog....

• Love 8

Wouldn't he think Amanda was dead like almost everyone else who isn't Ems, Nolan, Jack, and Victoria?

Anyway, I've decided I don't really care anymore enough to watch this next season.  I always said bringing David back would be a dealbreaker and this on top of Victoria being the revenger now is just too much.  I'm done.  Done.

Sadly, I will probably watch the first few episodes to see how they explain David Clarke.  But him being alive is so over the top that I can't see it making any sense (not that this show has ever been big on that).  I love Nolan, I love the fashions, and I still like Amanda/Emily.  Since it's not up against The Mentalist (at least for now) I'll watch for a while. 

• Love 2

What on Earth has happened to Nolan's hair ?!? Being carried in on the white couch was funny, though.

Jack looks SO much better with short hair, and no facial hair. I laughed at Jack's disappointment that Emily's reason for staying in the Hamptons was Charlotte (not him).

Charlotte trying to be mini-Victoria? Puh-lease. And Gideon is gross. 

Victoria's escape was entertaining. 

• Love 3

I really enjoyed that premiere. I was skeptical about the revenge focus flip-flopping but it's more like Victoria and Emily in a revenge-race to the finish. I think what makes it work is Emily's vengeance scheme on someone else's behalf that clearly didn't want it and Emily realizing she's lost without it. Then the little smile at the end of the last scene with Victoria. At last, her life has purpose again!

I had a hard time concentrating on Victoria and Emily's phone conversation because Victoria was holding the iPhone upside down. That she got with Lisa Simpson's help! That was fun casting.

• Love 4

Charlotte has got to go, what she did with "her nephew" was too far.  Put her in rehab and off the show. I actually liked what they did with Emily and her revenge plot gone wrong.  Still don't care about Daniel.  Liked  Jack in his stripper...I mean cop uniform.

• Love 3

Karine Vanasse's new hair - ugh. Nolan's new hair - ugh. Gideon - ugh, ugh, UGH!

I was hoping - when Nolan was carried in announcing the throne - that we'd see the return of The Chair. Alas, not the case.

Edited by TomGirl
  • Love 2
Is Daniel suppose to actually be poor at this point?

I don't think he's what the average person would consider poor, just what a former millionaire would consider poor.  I want to know what the hell Charlotte's doing in a $7,000 a month apartment that she just expects Daniel to pay for.  Does she have a job?  Or do anything productive with her life?

It was super obvious Emily hit that car on purpose.  I just couldn't figure out why.  I like the idea that she can't not be all revenge-y and trying to use her skills to help others.  It was rather misguided, but interesting.

Are we only getting Victoria voice-overs from now on?

• Love 2

Victoria's escape was easily the highlight for me. I do think Joshua (Daniel) looks good with the scruff, just as good as Brett Dalton (Ward on Agents). I kinda hope that Daniel and Margaux get smart and enlist Nolan (with Ems covert "assistance")to help them bring down that little twerp Gideon. Hell, Emily won't be able to resist the opportunity to help her sister and feed her blood lust.

i just hope this season they find Nolan a steady boyfriend. The best part of the show for me is his relationship with Emily.

Edited by madhacker

I'm disappointed that the season didn't start off with a flashforward like the other seasons did.

When was Conrad's death reported?  Hasn't Victoria been in the asylum since before David killed him?

I see the asylum is still providing Victoria with makeup.

I'd find another daycare if any stranger can come in off the street and take my son.

Why does Emily still have Victoria's old phone number?

A cop's partner doesn't make him a commanding officer.

Why didn't Ems worry about the old Clarke house having a door wide open?

• Love 1

I don't even know what to say. I stopped watching this show faithfully after s1. I have dropped in every once in a while since then. David Clarke being alive made me curious. My mistake. This show is a clusterfuck. It's just rinse, lather, repeat. Emily hurt. Emily mad. Emily need revenge. Nolan say bad Emily. Nolan loves Em's. Nolan get out. Grayson's bad deserve revenge. Emily must crush them.

The moment that Victoria strolled out of her room, looking like Regina in Once Upon a Time I was through. When she grabbed that very convenient umbrella, (never mind that its supposed to be an asylum and the "guards/orderlies" would have taken it b/c you can put an eye out w/that) and started her diva stroll down the hall, I almost threw my phone at the tv. I was waiting for her to fly away like Mary Poppins, or clap her hands together and disappear in a cloud of purple smoke. Ri-dic-u-lous-ness.

This show must be stopped. It must go away. Far far away. Just dump all the episodes. No syndication for you. The DVD's burned. Just say no!. Did I mention this show is ri-dic-u-lous (-ness).

• Love 3

Jack is a cop now??? All of a sudden Jack is a cop? That is just so stupid, I don't even know what to say.

I found the episode boring, and I don't see how they're going to make the show interesting at this point. Victoria & Emily trying to get revenge on each other? That's pretty much the same thing that's been happening, nothing new there. I'm going to try & stick it out, but I don't know if I will be seeing this entire season. 

• Love 4

Well, I will say this much - the season premiere definitely brought the lulz.

As crappy as it was for Charlotte to just take Carl to scare Jack, I would also blame the crappy daycare place that let an unauthorized relative to pick up a kid. Even if they know she's Carl's aunt, they shouldn't let her take him without authorization or being on the list.

Speaking of Carl, I was offended on his behalf when Emily said that she stayed in the Hamptons because Charlotte is the only family she has left. So much for her stripper soul sister Fauxmanda and her many sacrifices. And isn't Emily Carl's godmother? That makes him family too!

And poor Nolan. She told him that the Graysons took everyone she loved and left her with nothing. What about Nolan? He has been such a good friend to her (I "awwwwed" when he brought in the couch for the new queen) and she acted like she considered him nothing more than an instrument in her revenge. I'm glad she called to apologize later. And she deliberately crashed his customized car - rude!

The guy who plays Jack's cop partner is such a terrible actor. I kind of hope he gets killed off soon because he is so bad.

Ha, I love that Daniel and Charlotte think that Victoria is off in Europe. As soon as I saw her roommate's trunk, I knew someone was leaving in it. As tiny as Yeardley Smith is, I can't believe that the guard didn't realize there was a body inside it.

Hey, Charlotte, instead of asking Daniel to pay your rent, why don't you get a fucking job? Oh, sorry, does that cut into your busy schedule of kidnapping babies in the afternoon? I hate her snotty attitude. No, Daniel, I don't want to move in with you. I want to keep living somewhere else while you pay my rent! Daniel's place doesn't look like it has two bedrooms so how did he think he was going to keep sleeping with models with his sister on the couch? $7000 for a month of rent? Good lord.

I know I'm probably supposed to think Daniel is this sweet guy for not wanting to involve Margaux in his Gideon/redhead situation and selling his car so he can afford Charlotte's rent, but whatever. That ship has sailed. Daniel is a jackass. Maybe try not living in a hotel penthouse. That ought to be a good start on cutting back on your expenses.

Part of me understands Emily buying Grayson Manor out of spite, but I can't imagine wanting to live in it. I would feel too creeped out.

How did Nancy get on the guest list for Emily's party if Emily didn't even ask her name after she hit her car? The person at the door was definitely checking names.

I don't like Margaux's new haircut or hair color. The bangs are too long and the color is too yellow. I also hated that reddish coral pantsuit they had her in during the photoshoot.

And what was with Nolan's crazy hair? I thought his party outfit was his normal level of Nolan-ness so of course it was awesome, but I was expecting him to kick it up a notch after he hyped it as being totally epic.

Emily really needs to be a lot more careful about what she says. Yes, Victoria knows who she is but she still shouldn't admit to anything when talking to her because Victoria could be recording their conversation. Plus there were tons of staff people in the house when she called Nolan to apologize. She is getting too lax now that she thinks she has achieved her revenge.

Please tell me that David Clarke is going to torture Victoria. If he kidnapped her just so they can have sexy times, I am going to vomit.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 4

Won't somebody please send Emily to Revenge rehab? I'm surprised Nolan believed her when she insisted she wasn't planning anything revengy for the party and then crashed his car. IT WAS SO OBVIOUS, NOLAN. Still utterly bored by Charlotte and Jack, good god.

• Love 1

I definitely feel pretty meh about this premiere as a whole but there were some amazing moments in there.

I'm still hugely disappointed about them getting rid of the flashforwards. Each flashforward thus far has played a huge role in framing the tone and direction of each season and in connecting them all together in a way that makes the series feel whole.  Not to mention it's a fairly easy thing to add which automatically increases the intrigue of a premiere- not sure what they gain from excluding it.

Jack being a cop was a horrid plot decision and one which has completely tarnished his character going forward. I no longer can, in good conscience, ship him and Emily now that he has been turned into a bland cardboard cutout police officer. His scenes are completely cringeworthy and I'm not even going to start on his awful cop partner. Charlotte's scenes were also awful but what else is new?

There was far too much meaningless exposition. Sunil Nayar needs to learn that if you want to establish something that's happened over a time-jump, the organic way to do that is via a flashback (which virtually every other show does) rather than having characters cram as much plot information into their everyday dialogue as possible.

Getting all that out of the way, there was a lot of juicy stuff in this episode. Victoria's diva escape from the asylum was a standout moment which was completely genius and goes to show how clever this show can be when it tries. Emily's takedown was also nice, if a bit overly-expository. Anything involving David Clarke is exciting and packs a punch (although that is more to do with the character and less to do with the writing).

So, while I'm underwhelemed and downright angered by some of the writing decisions this season, I definitely think there's room for this season to pick up. I'm still going to support the hell out of this show, I'll just be cringing through a lot of scenes (mostly Jack and "Ben"'s).

• Love 2
Still utterly bored by Charlotte and Jack, good god.

I am so baffled by this Jack is a cop thing.  He says he wanted to be a cop since...Declan died but this is the first we ever hear of it?!  It just seems so out of the blue.  And how the whole him being arrested for Charlotte's kidnapping is just swept under the rug?  How convenient.

And what was with Nolan's crazy hair?

WORD!  Someone got crazy with the hair gel?  Glad he gave Emily a royal ass chewing for that STUPID stunt at the party.  I just wish Nolan would bitch slap her one time.  Something is wrong when I find myself rooting for the "villan" of the show Victoria instead of Emily.

Edited by Dirtybubble

How did Nancy get on the guest list for Emily's party if Emily didn't even ask her name after she hit her car? The person at the door was definitely checking names.

Emily already knew her name from her revengenda plot of the week. 

I can top everyone's befuddled reactions to Jack being a cop.  Here's how out of the blue it was for this completely unspoiled Revenge-watcher (been around since season 1).  Between the clean-shaven look and the new job, I didn't even recognize him.  I was all "who is that?" for the first few lines of dialogue until I realized it was Jack.  And his explanation about wanting to be a cop was...  convenient.

• Love 2

I didn't recognize Jack either! He looks completely different. I was texting with my friend during the show and we were just as confused that he was now a cop like everyone else. I also thought his partner was Patrick at first. All I can say about Margot's (or however it's spelled) hair is, "Mon Dieu!". And "Mon Dieu, Part Deux!" for Nolan's hair. I'm not a fan of beards, but it looked good on Daniel.

So Emily picks some random girl because she wanted said girl to have her own Revenge? What does this have to do with the show?

I will admit that I'm curious to see what happens with the David Clarke storyline, but I'm sad they offed Conrad (or did they?). I loved Conrad. I miss Conrad.

• Love 5

What are they going to do with that Nancy character, I wonder.

Bring on the David Clarke.  Just bring it on.  I'm guessing Victoria is going to tell him that Emily is only posing as Amanda so that the two Clarkes don't team up.  And also because it would allow Victoria to get revenge on Emily if Emily's own father doesn't believe she's his daughter.

When Charlotte asked for rent money, Daniel said "That's $5,000, right?"  And Charlotte said "no, it's $7,000."  My assumption is that she's asking for extra cash for coke.

I sort of remember Jack saying he was going to become a cop at the end of last season.  Sure happened fast, though.

Nolan's hair is so hilarious it's distracting me from how much I love his character.  The suit didn't help either.

Edited by FineWashables
  • Love 2

Jack has become a cop to atone for committing a felony kidnap. Absolutely.

Charlotte is now Weird Victoria.

Mostly I watch this show because I'm hoping one day to watch a scene where Emily goes to wherever it is that all her money grows to pick some.

• Love 2

Jack became an insta cop who doesn't even have to wear a uniform? He also knows Charlotte's loony and on drugs, he better be keeping her far from his son. She's outlived her character so long ago, she needs to get a job, stop asking Daniel for money or die already. 

The whole way they glossed over Conrad being dead makes me think he's not dead. May be David's got him in a shed or something? 

Nolan's the best part of this show.

Wow. I've never been so glad to have given up a show half a season earlier! What an unholy mess. Also, I have to say it (again): "Margaux" is still not a name for an actual French woman.

Is Claire Voyant supposed to be recently returned to the land of the living? Because that is one scary picture. Also: "Undad," hee.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 1

Last season I think I fell asleep during practically every episode so, granted, I think there's probably a lot to the plotline that I missed. But am I correct in thinking that a large portion of what's going on with this show TODAY has nothing to do with where we left off last episode? Too much happened off-screen in this time jump, right? I thought Daniel was dumped from Voulet because Margeux "gave" his portion to Conrad, but now there's some conspiracy with Giddeon setting him up with...what was that? I dozed off last night, too, and woke up to see a the cell phone photograph. Did Giddeon kill a hooker and make Daniel think HE did it?! Or maybe I'm filling in the blanks with an early plotline from Scandal. [ETA: Nevermind. I just read the last episode thread to refresh my memory, and I see that this did happen last season. Now I recall that I dozed off during the finale, too, but I didn't miss enough to warrant rewatching the episode.]

Conrad is REALLY dead?! So far was it ONLY Victoria who said "in the sixth months since my ex-husband died..."?! MAYBE it's possible that she THINKS he's dead but because she's been locked up, she wouldn't have actually been at his funeral to CONFIRM this. I'm grasping at straws here because I really like Conrad's character and "dead" doesn't always mean DEAD on this show (see David Clarke, Emily, Lydia, Victoria, Daniel).

I didn't think it was possible for Margeux to have a worse haircut than her previous one, but I stand corrected.

And if this season is going to be about Emily avenging on the behalf of OTHER people without their knowledge then, ugh, that's worse than David Clarke's return, Jack being a cop, AND Margeaux's hairstyle!

Edited by JenE4
  • Love 1

Don't know how Jack could be a cop, pretty much sure if you have any kind of arrest record, you cannot join the force.  Big surprise Victoria escaped, with the help of Lisa Simpson.  Guess that southern chic will be looking for revenge against Victoria for leaving her there.   Wonder if Conrad is really dead, I fully expect for him to return too, maybe these people should be on Resurrection?  Please Daniel just go away.

I really hope Conrad is not dead.  I miss him already. 

While I'm not a fan of Victoria at all, her escape was probably the highlight of the episode. 

I thought Margaux' hair was actually an improvement.  She looked like she had a dead animal on her head last season.  I hope Gideon and Charlotte overdose and fall off their penthouse balcony.  Daniel is still clueless.

Emily revenging other people now is kind of funny.  I'm pretty sure Nancy was just the revenge of the week and she won't be back.  I actually think that might make for a good show, having Emily right wrongs, kind of like Leverage (ha ha).

• Love 2
Nolan's hair is so hilarious it's distracting me from how much I love his character.  The suit didn't help either.

I think Nolan is a prime example of somebody having too much money.  Gah these suits are just atrocious.  And I bet he spent at least 10K on it and will never wear it again. 

Wouldn't it be nice if Gideon and Charlotte overdosed and fell to their death off the penthouse balcony onto Daniel, killing him in the process?

And while were at it can Margaux be standing next to Daniel and have her flatten too?  LoL--that would be perfect.

• Love 4

And if this season is going to be about Emily avenging on the behalf of OTHER people without their knowledge then, ugh, that's worse than David Clarke's return, Jack being a cop, AND Margeaux's hairstyle!

I don't think so. It seemed to be about A) Emily realizing that not everybody wants revenge like her bloodthirsty, unique, snowflake self and B) with Victoria back on the playing field, Emily now has an antagonist to occupy her previously free time.

• Love 1

Charlotte has got to go, what she did with "her nephew" was too far.

I actually thought it was appropo given that they kidnapped her and held her hostage. I can only blame the daycare :). However, I am always irritated by the 'weakness' of Charlotte's character. She needs to be given a more meaningful storyline that that of a spineless, drug addicted, relation will little to offer.

But then again I actually think Emanda is a horrible person and she and Nolan have done horrible things in the name of 'vengeance' that they think they shouldn't be accountable for because the 'bad guys' deserve it. All casualties be damned! 

Given that I LOVE Madeleine Stowe - I think she's the best actor on the show - I am rooting for a Victoria comeback and take down Emily plot line.

I can't wait to see the look on Emanda's face when she discovers all this revenge was for a father who is still very much alive. No to mention the writers might actually retcon the story line to make David responsible for the terrorist act. Now, that would fill me with glee . . .

Really, at this point what else is there to look forward to. I do hope this is the last season.

• Love 1

I can't believe Victoria told Emily that things would've been alright if she had told the Graysons who she was when she met them.  They would've slit her throat and gone about their lives like she never showed up.  I'm interested in what David has planned for Victoria and Emily as well as where Charlotte and Jack go.  I'm hopeful this season is a good one, I really liked this episode.  I'm glad to see the writers sticking to the theme of a cycle of revenge and how hatred and pain beget more hatred and pain.

• Love 2

Taking the baby out of daycare to get back at Jack shows what a disaster of a human being Charlotte is at this point. I get that she's angry she was kidnapped, but who uses a toddler to hurt/scare someone? Even if she wasn't literally high at the time, it certainly proves she's unstable. As evil as some think Emily is, she's never used a baby/young child in such a way. Charlotte really is her mother's daughter.

• Love 3

Wow, for a show that could not wait to watch in season one, to watching it on DVR. And then only because of Nolan. Still love his outfits, but not the new hair.

So, Emily/Amanda wanted revenge on the Graysons so she could ....take over their  life?? What??

Conrad really is dead? I miss his sleazy charm already.

Daniel and Charlotte are so awful, why couldn't they have died instead of Conrad. At least he was a great villain, and not just a spoiled brat like his prodigy

Victoria's escape was entertaining, but I don't want this show to be all about her getting her groove back.

Jack as a cop -WTH? Who is running his bar?

Not sure how I feel about undad. Wait and see on that one.

Daniel and Charlotte are so awful, why couldn't they have died instead of Conrad. At least he was a great villain, and not just a spoiled brat like his prodigy

Josh Bowman actually told the producers to kill Daniel off at the end of last season. Even he can't stand himself.

Forgot, if you want to see something weird, look up Josh speaking in an interview. Very strange to hear him speaking with the accent.

Edited by GaT
  • Love 3

The moment that Victoria strolled out of her room, looking like Regina in Once Upon a Time I was through. When she grabbed that very convenient umbrella, (never mind that its supposed to be an asylum and the "guards/orderlies" would have taken it b/c you can put an eye out w/that) and started her diva stroll down the hall, I almost threw my phone at the tv. I was waiting for her to fly away like Mary Poppins, or clap her hands together and disappear in a cloud of purple smoke.

I think all of the psych ward scenes came off campy. I didn't expect MS to stop using botox, but she should have at least looked less lady of the manor.  Her hair could have been in a ponytail, and her makeup more minimal.  The new girl being allowed to bring her gigantic trunk telegraphed what was going to happen.  Does anyone really travel with trunks anymore?  And Victoria calling Louise "poppet" was so stupid.  I've never in my life heard anyone use that endearment.

Agree that Margaux and Nolan's new hairstyles are horrible.  I prefer laughing with Nolan, not at him.

Charlotte has got to go, what she did with "her nephew" was too far.  Put her in rehab and off the show. I actually liked what they did with Emily and her revenge plot gone wrong.  Still don't care about Daniel.  Liked  Jack in his stripper...I mean cop uniform.

I thought Charlotte came off very sinister in the seen with Carl.  I felt they were going to take her down a psycho path.  It might have simply been the poor acting of the actress that gave me that impression.

And Victoria calling Louise "poppet" was so stupid. I've never in my life heard anyone use that endearment.

That is something that I think of as a British term if endearment for children, not something an American would say in 2014 (or whatever year it's supposed to be on this show now).

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

Conrad really is dead? I miss his sleazy charm already.

So do I!  Dead does not always mean dead on a soap, so I'll keep hoping he's not!

I think all of the psych ward scenes came off campy.

I hated that part, I thought it was way too cartoonish.

I see a lot of comments regarding Nolan's hair.  I have to be honest, I didn't notice that it looked any different!

Calling it now: winter finale Emily and David meet, summer finale we find out Conrad's not really dead.

I wish there were some kind of plausible way to resurrect Aiden. Because he was pretty and I loved him.

Did Jack take an InstaCop online course (not a real thing) or something? Because if so, fastest police academy ever. He looks weird without facial hair.

Charlotte still has a hate boner for Emily, because reasons. I have no idea what they are.

• Love 1

To be honest, I don't care why Charlotte is mad at Emily. I am so tired of Charlotte pretending that she is the next coming of Victoria when she doesn't have a fraction of the wit, charm, cunning, intelligence, or subtlety of young Victoria or S1 Victoria. Charlotte still comes off as a huffy pouty stomping high school student.

Did Conrad cut her out of his will or were the Graysons broke when he died? Or were his assets frozen? I actually don't care why Charlotte is broke. I wish Daniel would tell her to get a job and pay her own rent like everyone else.

• Love 2

Jack became an insta cop who doesn't even have to wear a uniform?

??? He wore a uniform.

What are they going to do with that Nancy character, I wonder.

I'm thinking we'll never see her again.

I thought Daniel was dumped from Voulet because Margeux "gave" his portion to Conrad, but now there's some conspiracy with Giddeon setting him up with...what was that?

That was from last season.  Gideon and Daniel went out drinking, the girl died, Gideon took a photo of her dead next to Daniel, and forced him out of the magazine.

• Love 1

Conrad with the blue steel eyes being missing really messed up the episode, it felt off balance.

Jack only became a cop because he would have to get the hair cut and omg, look like a grown up, kind of good looking guy.

Poor Nolan's hair....I don't think I can watch another show with it in it.

GAH, every time they show that Aiden death scene I simply laugh out loud, cringe, and will never take it seriously because of that horrible face freeze.  OMG, now that is traumatic - for the viewer and for Ems.

Emily's gone over the rails revenging for strangers.  When I look at her I see no character growth in either good or evil direction at all from season one.  She's never changed at all.  She never gets smarter, either. Maybe she got stupider.

Victoria's looking a lot like Morticia Adams.  In a bad way.

Edited by Jlina
  • Love 3