Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E01: Renaissance

Police academy takes 6 months to complete, right? They sort of got that right. Charlotte is still a bitch. Don't know how much longer I can last with this show- just waiting for Emily and David scenes, I guess. They shouldn't have brought him back to life- all the revenge seems so meaningless now.

Poor Nolan's hair....I don't think I can watch another show with it in it.

GAH, every time they show that Aiden death scene I simply laugh out loud, cringe, and will never take it seriously because of that horrible face freeze.  OMG, now that is traumatic - for the viewer and for Ems.

Emily's gone over the rails revenging for strangers.  When I look at her I see no character growth in either good or evil direction at all from season one.  She's never changed at all.  She never gets smarter, either. Maybe she got stupider.

I've no idea why they did that to Nolan's hair.  It looks so bad now.  Oddly enough, Cyrus from Scandal has a similar bad haircut.  

I think the character development with Emily is that she's become increasingly consumed by revenge and hatred as the show's progressed.  She went from just wanting to take down the Graysons to wanting to take down the Graysons a specific kind of way to now reigning as queen of the Hamptons and carrying out random revenge missions.  She's had multiple chances before to leave the Hamptons and to start a new life but she couldn't quit her revenge scheme and because of that she's lost Aiden, Amanda and her ability to have kids (though she never made an indication of having kids before, so idk how much that bothers her).  Not to mention the relationships she's damaged.  Imo, she's not a worse person, but she's become colder due to the cost of her revagenda.  I think she's just dealing with the fallout that she feels like there's nothing much left for her except for Nolan and possibly Charlotte.  

I want to say that I mostly don't have a problem with Emily's revenge schemes and I think the show at times judges her too harshly for them.  Society benefits from the fact that people like the Graysons and the crooked judge, writer, and psychologist that played a hand in her father's downfall are now either discredited or dead.  And it's good that everyone knows who's actually responsible for the death of the woman's fiancee.  Maybe justice will be served.  

The woman who's fiancee died, is she Lexie from the Vampire Diaries? 

Edited by lion10
  • Love 4

R.I.P scruffy Jack :(  Is his bar still open?  Cause it would just be kinda weird to live in a closed down bar.  I think it was kinda stupid that he let Charlotte get away with the coke.  She's a freaking addict and is obviously not in control.  With her name, I'm sure she'd end up in court appointed rehab, which she needs again.

Ah Nolan, you're the only character I still care about.  R.I.P Sammy, Amanda, and Declan.  By the looks of the preview, the family reunion is happening next week.  I can't wait to see what sort of ass pull the writers have about why David is still alive.  I really hope Conrad is DEAD dead.  His actor really deserves better.

• Love 1

No, Lexi is played by Arielle Kebbel.

The woman whose fiancé died was a character named Nancy and she was played by Alicia Lagano. She has guest starred on a bunch of shows (including Grimm, Agents of Shield, Castle, Bones, Dexter, Prison Break, Lie to Me, Ghost Whisperer, Without a Trace, and ER) so that may be why you recognized her.

• Love 1

Jacks' hot partner (I don't think his acting is bad- 80's hairstyle Gideon is much worse) looks really familiar too. I know I've seen him on something where he played a jock but I can't figure it out.

They really have nothing to do with Charlotte. It's like the writers always resort to out of control party girl as a back up instead of giving her substance.

Okay I will admit that upon rewatching this, most of the things I hated don't bother me anymore. Having watched it back, the opening dream sequence definitely feels on-par with the flash-forwards so I can accept the change now. And I guess Jack being a cop gives him more reason to interact with the characters than being a bartender. The takedown also came off as a lot more clever when I knew it was coming- in that way it was probably the most "true to Season 1" opener that we've seen.

I'd probably raise my grade from a C- to an A-. Kind of a 180 degree change in opinion but I suppose my expectations were just too set and I needed to loosen them up a little.

• Love 1

Jacks' hot partner (I don't think his acting is bad- 80's hairstyle Gideon is much worse) looks really familiar too. I know I've seen him on something where he played a jock but I can't figure it out.

He was in Mistresses. I had to look him up because I knew I had seen him in something before too.

No, Lexi is played by Arielle Kebbel.

The woman whose fiancé died was a character named Nancy and she was played by Alicia Lagano. She has guest starred on a bunch of shows (including Grimm, Agents of Shield, Castle, Bones, Dexter, Prison Break, Lie to Me, Ghost Whisperer, Without a Trace, and ER) so that may be why you recognized her.

Thanks! Alicia Lagano and Arielle Kebbel could be sisters, they look so much alike.

Is his bar still open?  Cause it would just be kinda weird to live in a closed down bar.

Jack mentioned this briefly, for like a second, that the bar is still open (I think) but it wasn't bringing in enough money for a college fund (for Carl I guess).  He was able to get into The Stowaway and so was Charlotte so not only is the bar open, its unlocked for anyone to waltz right in!  I don't know how he's gonna run a bar and be a cop.  Isn't being a cop a 24/7 thing?  And The Stowaway is suppose to open on Memorial Day...IDK. I think it would have been easier for the writers to simply say the bar closed.  To keep it open simply to have another location to shoot scenes is dumb.

Nolan to Emily:  "You're a snowflake...."  Really?!  I wish the writers would stop giving Nolan such dopey dialogue!  A man with an I.Q. of 170 should not be speaking this way.

Well, he could hire someone to run the bar. Not that I care, but shows like this need a central hangout place where characters meet and scheme and randomly overhear conversations they're not supposed to and get into fist fights.

I'm okay with all the campiness because this show is a soap, and nothing more. Crazy storylines, characters coming back from the dead, shifting alliances... it's a soap.

Nolan's hair doesn't bother me, it goes with the nutty clothes. And I find it funny that most people are okay with his crazy multi-coloured, patterned suits, but draw the line at spiky gelled hair.

And speaking of hair, egads, Margaux's new do was horrible. It looked like a three year old got ahold of scissors, followed by a twelve year old trying out her first cheap blond box dye. I liked her hair just fine last season, sometimes she had the down swept bangs, sometimes they were curled up. She rocked the pixie cut, and now wants to grow it out, but this is not the way.

Never mind Victoria still wearing makeup in the loony bin, what's with the perfectly done hair? Like mental patients are going to have access to flat irons and curling irons? Okay.

I miss Victoria's word chair and thought Nolan was bringing one back for the new Queen of the Hamptons. Oh well. I saw an actual chair like that recently and wanted to buy it, just because.

I predict the show will end with Emily and Victoria as the last survivors, sitting on that magnificent balcony together, realizing they're better allies than enemies because they're so much alike. They will discuss this, smiling, holding their wine glasses - rueing all the casualties left in their wake. They'll smile like they're besties saying, "no more revenge". Thecamera will pull back, showing both of them looking slightly strained, side-eyeing the other, because you just can never trust completely.

• Love 2

I predict the show will end with Emily and Victoria as the last survivors, sitting on that magnificent balcony together, realizing they're better allies than enemies because they're so much alike. They will discuss this, smiling, holding their wine glasses - rueing all the casualties left in their wake. They'll smile like they're besties saying, "no more revenge". Thecamera will pull back, showing both of them looking slightly strained, side-eyeing the other, because you just can never trust completely.

i think it's the opposite.  i think the show will end with both of them dead.

Nolan to Emily:  "You're a snowflake...."  Really?!  I wish the writers would stop giving Nolan such dopey dialogue!  A man with an I.Q. of 170 should not be speaking this way.

I took the snowflake thing as a Fight Club reference. I have to admit I chuckled at "bloodthirsty snowflake". If I had a band that would be its name!

Victoria's escape felt like a Batman villain escaping from Arkham Asylum. And Emily becomes more and more like a bizarro world Batman with every episode.

I like the idea that she can't not be all revenge-y and trying to use her skills to help others.

I know! But I wish she can somehow use her powers to help Charlotte become less annoying. Getting rid of Gideon would probably be a good start.

every time they show that Aiden death scene I simply laugh out loud

Me too. I know it was supposed to be sad, but that actor's "dead face" was more of a slack-jawed yokel face. Unintentionally hilarious!

Thinking back, they really should have killed off Daniel in the first season at the engagement party. He would have been an innocent then, and it would have had an impact. Now if they kill him off it would be more like "meh, good riddance!"

I was entertained, but I have never expected this show to make any semblance of sense.

• Love 1

I was entertained, but I have never expected this show to make any semblance of sense.

Yep.

The fashion is either batshit crazy or fabulous (Emily's fit 'n flare?? GIVE IT TO ME NOW); I never tire of lolzing at Josh Bowman's mouthful-'o-peanut butter accent; the career moves... it's TV to play Words with Friends by. Love it.

Hooray! The original show that started my naming scheme of calling everything Assholes is back.

It's refreshing being able to watch unbelievable things without having to purchase drugs or alcohol to do so.

Welcome back, Assholes!

• Love 2

Re: Gideon. As someone once said about Prince, 'He looks like he fell into a vat of pubic hair.' He is amazingly uncompelling as, well, anything. Other than a nonentity.

And Charlotte seems to be in perpetual rebellion against life. That's not going to work out well for her, I think.

• Love 2

I've always enjoyed watching the fashion on this show, especially Emily's but I cringed over the "flowery" dress she wore at her Memorial Day/debut party.  What could be a message behind it, my first thought is "are they trying to turn her into someone as a cross over between Charlotte and Victoria?".  Sorry to say but the dress was hideous - it doesn't matter if it's designer or not, yuuucckkk.  It made her look matronly rather than classy.

• Love 3
I took the snowflake thing as a Fight Club reference. I have to admit I chuckled at "bloodthirsty snowflake"

Ohhhh ok, I never saw Fight Club so I guess I didn't get the joke.  Maybe I too would enjoy this show more if I didn't take it so seriously--as in didn't take it as I did during season 1.  ABC has long since billed it as a night time soap so IDK I guess I just need to face facts and accept the fact that it won't ever return to its original glory but do ok as a soap opera. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I loved this crazy, shitastic episode. I mean, I feel like the producers and writers are basically in on the joke, right?

"Revenge" has me for as long as ABC lets it happen.

• Love 4

Okay, so for a finale, if Victoria and Emily both die, then let's assume it's the result of a knock-down, drag out screaming fight on that glorious balcony that culminates with both of them falling over the railing to the rocks below. (I assume there are rocks below) the camera slow pans to their broken bodies lying artfully on the rocks, best side to the camera, with a perfect drop of blood dripping down somewhere on their faces. Fade out.

Is this the last season?

• Love 1

I've always enjoyed watching the fashion on this show, especially Emily's but I cringed over the "flowery" dress she wore at her Memorial Day/debut party.  What could be a message behind it, my first thought is "are they trying to turn her into someone as a cross over between Charlotte and Victoria?".  Sorry to say but the dress was hideous - it doesn't matter if it's designer or not, yuuucckkk.  It made her look matronly rather than classy.

Huh.  I saw a facebook posting raving about it today and asking where it came from.  Apparently it's Carolina Herrera.

• Love 1

I thought it was enjoyable in parts but I can't help thinking that this season needs to be the last one really.

David being alive, I still think is a bad idea but the last scene with him and Victoria was interesting enough.

All of Victoria's scenes in Claremont were interesting. Not surprised that she was able to get Louise and Phyllis to help her escape from the place.

Her vowing revenge on Emily is both comical and unjustified though.

Emily trying to help Nancy get revenge - I'm glad Nolan called her out on it and that she saw some sense in the end though.

Two delightfully camp moments - Nolan arriving with the throne with some hunky sailors and Victoria's power walk with the umbrella out of Claremont for good measure.

Does anyone care about Charlotte, Daniel and Gideon? Apart from the writers, I'm pretty sure audiences are long past giving a toss. All three can go.

Margaux's hair is utterly horrible. Still like the character though.

Jack as a cop, I'm having a hard time believing (even with his motives detailed onscreen) but I kind of like Ben though, 7/10

Edited by darkestboy
  • Love 1
Is this the last season?

Every season I hear rumors that this is the last but as of right now I haven't read anything saying it was so I would say no.  Plus they usually announce before the season begins that this will be the last. 

Jack is a cop now??? All of a sudden Jack is a cop? That is just so stupid, I don't even know what to say.

It's like he was an eight-year-old on Days of Our Lives who disappeared for a few months and then suddenly reappeared in town with his college degree and some terrible secrets. Honestly, I love when stupid things happen on daytime soaps and I really don't mind when they happen on nighttime soaps.

Apparently it's Carolina Herrera.

I was going to guess it was Oscar de la Renta, but in either case it's a choice that one would actually see in the Hamptons. I suppose it was the most realistic thing about the whole episode.

I finally caught the episode.  As someone who watches mainly for the scenery and fashion, I'd like to nominate whatever interior designer Emily hired to redecorate Grayson Manor as her next Revenge victim.  Woof.

Huh.  I saw a facebook posting raving about it today and asking where it came from.  Apparently it's Carolina Herrera.

I remembered seeing Lucy Liu wear the ball gown version well over a year ago, so I was surprised that someone in Emily's position would wear something a few seasons old.

http://www.redcarpet-fashionawards.com/2013/01/14/lucy-liu-in-carolina-herrera-2013-golden-globe-awards/

• Love 1

Yep.

The fashion is either batshit crazy or fabulous (Emily's fit 'n flare?? GIVE IT TO ME NOW); I never tire of lolzing at Josh Bowman's mouthful-'o-peanut butter accent; the career moves... it's TV to play Words with Friends by. Love it.

The fashion!  She and Victoria can wear a dress.  I'm happy to have Victoria back just to see the fashion portion of the Revenge competition.

• Love 1

I finally caught the episode.  As someone who watches mainly for the scenery and fashion, I'd like to nominate whatever interior designer Emily hired to redecorate Grayson Manor as her next Revenge victim.  Woof.

I remembered seeing Lucy Liu wear the ball gown version well over a year ago, so I was surprised that someone in Emily's position would wear something a few seasons old.

http://www.redcarpet-fashionawards.com/2013/01/14/lucy-liu-in-carolina-herrera-2013-golden-globe-awards/

I thought the flower print looked really familiar, but frankly the addition of the deep burgundy on top really made the dress for me. I loved it.

• Love 1

I'm pretty sure she also starred in The Client List with JLH who coincidentally had her baby with

Jack's hot partner who also coincidentally starred with them both in The Client List.

• Love 1

I remember him as the actor who played Will, the hot neighbor, on the show Privileged.

Edited by Arya