Type keyword(s) to search

Super(girl) Media

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

I didn't watch this season of Supergirl because I was so beyond sick of The Mon-El Show that Season 2 became, and also because the writing for Season 2 was just a hot, hot mess in general. Those of you who watched this season: assuming Mon-El stays gone (PLEASE PLEASE), has the writing improved enough relative to 2B to make trying out S4 worthwhile?

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

I didn't watch this season of Supergirl because I was so beyond sick of The Mon-El Show that Season 2 became, and also because the writing for Season 2 was just a hot, hot mess in general. Those of you who watched this season: assuming Mon-El stays gone (PLEASE PLEASE), has the writing improved enough relative to 2B to make trying out S4 worthwhile?

Season three was a vast improvement over season 2, for sure. It wasn't without its issues (Alex's entire storyline sucked ass; the big villain kind of whimpered out by the end), but season three did a lot to correct what was wrong in season two. Now, I can't speak for others, but I felt like they improved on Mon-El's character this season, to the point where I am actually going to miss him. Again, if I go back and re-read my season two comments, they were mostly negative toward Mon-El, so they turned him around this season for me. 

• Love 2

I thought the opposite - they took everything likeable about Mon El last season and turned him Into a depressing whine. 

Im actually shocked to hear them say that this was his planned arc as it was so badly done. 

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Chas411 said:

Im actually shocked to hear them say that this was his planned arc as it was so badly done. 

I'm not convinced that everything that happened was Mon-El's planned (from the beginning) arc. Not after they had to completely re-write his character in Season 3, and literally apologize for his behavior in Season 2. But whatever. These particular producers are always putting a spin on things to make themselves look better.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Trini said:

I'm not convinced that everything that happened was Mon-El's planned (from the beginning) arc. Not after they had to completely re-write his character in Season 3, and literally apologize for his behavior in Season 2. But whatever. These particular producers are always putting a spin on things to make themselves look better.

I can buy that they only signed him on for two seasons. What I don't buy is that this was his planned out arc. If the showrunners really did tease true Karamel fans all season and ripping it away from them, they're pretty damn cruel. If they REALLY only planned for Mon-El to be in two seasons and knew from the beginning of season 3, they should have kept the first half of Mon-El's arc this past season as him being moved on from Kara and their relationship this second half being purely platonic, working out their past issues, and Mon-El being more like a friend, rather than bringing back Mon-El's feelings for Kara. They had a perfect out there, with Mon-El stating in 3A that he was over Kara and he loved her once, but now it was different. He was with Imra; with him going back to the future here, it could have been him choosing Imra for good.

But now, they're either going to piss off Karamel fans by not having Mon-El return in a regular capacity again, though they could bring him back again and again and tease the fans more, or they'll eventually bring him back as a recurring/regular but the character being tainted once more with him continuing to leave. If they did plan for him to be gone, then they shouldn't have brought up Karamel's romance. That's on them for doing that and that'll be on them if the ratings drop next season. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

What I don't buy is that this was his planned out arc. If the showrunners really did tease true Karamel fans all season and ripping it away from them, they're pretty damn cruel.

I think it was more that they were putting Kara in the untenable "other woman" position to add to her buffet of personal moral dilemmas this year.  Or else they were planning the "Casablanca" ending, as they put it, all along.

(edited)

It's not a real Casablanca ending because Mon El isn't leaving to be with Imra so that she can keep on fighting the bad guys because she is so important.  He isn't even going to get back together with her as I understand it.  It feels like they're just using the allure of the movie to justify their (bad) writing decisions.

Edited by statsgirl
4 hours ago, statsgirl said:

It's not a real Casablanca ending because Mon El isn't leaving to be with Imra so that she can keep on fighting the bad guys because she is so important.  He isn't even going to get back together with her as I understand it.  It feels like they're just using the allure of the movie to justify their (bad) writing decisions.

At least they can get a proper divorce since they'll be in the same time period.

• Love 2

I am happy that Imra and Mon-El broke up. Regardless of what happened or didn't happen with Kara Imra deserved better than a husband who emotionally cheated on her for the entirety of 3B. And she had secrets of her own.

I believe that Mon-El wasn't meant to be permanent (even though I think they would have kept him on if he were less polarizing and at times problematic) but his arc was a mess. Maybe with Kreisberg being fired they felt like changing direction with the character but this whole thing just played out so stupidly. Basically Kara stops being sad at the exact same time the show starts to give Mon-El a POV and the audience finds out that he's still in love. She pines in 3A. He pines in 3B. Since the plan was to end Karamel, I agree that they should have done it after Kara's mourning period. The second half should have been about their friendship and partnership as superheroes.

I think with Winn working with the Legion in the future fans of Mon-El and fans of Imra can hope to see them again in a guest capacity in s4.

• Love 1
On 6/19/2018 at 2:50 AM, Chas411 said:

I thought the opposite - they took everything likeable about Mon El last season and turned him Into a depressing whine. 

Amen.  He was a funny, sweet guy in Season 2 and positively grim in Season 3 (oh, I'm sorry...he was "mature").  That tiny little scene in the van where he pretends to be a doofus and reverts to goofy Mon-El....I LOVED that.  

I call B.S. that this was his planned storyline.  But if so, how crappy can you get?

• Love 1
(edited)

Supergirl at San Diego Comic Con: http://comiccon.thewb.com/wbsdcc-2018/

SATURDAY, JULY 21

3:30–4:15 p.m. Supergirl Special Video Presentation and Q&A

—  Season three saw Supergirl stop Reign and the other Worldkillers’ threat to humanity and our planet, and in the process, Kara was shocked to find her mother Alura alive and living in a salvaged Argo City that survived the destruction of Krypton. Reconnecting with her past caused Kara to realize that her true home is now here on Earth, where big changes are taking place for her and all of her friends in National City – and also, it appears, for a doppelganger in Russia! Season four promises to be full of surprises, action, adventure and lots of big revelations for Supergirl, Alex, James, J’onn, Lena and Brainy.

Join the series’ cast, Melissa Benoist, Chyler Leigh, Mehcad Brooks, David Harewood, Katie McGrath and Jesse Rath and executive producers Robert Rovner, Jessica Queller and Sarah Schechter for a special video presentation, followed by a Q&A where they’ll discuss what’s to come and more! ...

Ballroom 20

Edited by Trini
59 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

Of course they would.  Considering that Alex and Sara Lance's one-night stand was inevitable during last year's crossover, I'd be more shocked if she and Batwoman didn't hook up during this year's!

Isn’t Batwoman Maggie’s ex in the comics? Would that crossover to the show?

Unless someone said something about it in San Diego, I don't know if they've even told us whether the Gotham and Batwoman in question are on Earth-1, Earth-38, or some other Earth entirely, and if it isn't Earth-38 then even if Kate is Maggie's ex it would have been a totally different Maggie.  The Bat Department has been alluded to on both Arrow and Supergirl so either is a possibility.

• Love 1

Supergirl writer Eric Carrasco co-hosted the latest 'Fatman on Batman' with Kevin Smith:

A little bit about Supergirl interspersed in the conversation. Kevin will be directing another episode in the upcoming season.

Any interest I might have had in the Batwoman series waned with that news. She is someone who I keep hearing people say "why is Hollywood trying to make her happen" about. 

Edited by Oreo2234
  • Love 3

Ruby Rose????  Why is this woman so prominent in the TV news? Yeah, she's a lesbian, so are a million other women. What makes her special? She comes off as aggressive as a character, is that what they are looking for?  I thoroughly agree, she's over exposed

1 hour ago, Oreo2234 said:

Any interest I might have had in the Batwoman series waned with that news. She is someone who I keep hearing people say "why is Hollywood trying to make her happen" about. 

I'll wait and see how she does onscreen as Batwoman before making any decision. I'm pretty indifferent on the casting. I didn't like her on Orange is the New Black, but that might have had to do with the character she plays. Will be interesting to see what the story for the crossover is.

17 hours ago, shantown said:

I'll wait and see how she does onscreen as Batwoman before making any decision. I'm pretty indifferent on the casting. I didn't like her on Orange is the New Black, but that might have had to do with the character she plays. Will be interesting to see what the story for the crossover is.

Someone posted on another website that "Legends of Tomorrow" will not be part of the Crossover event.  If not, the CW will be excluding one of their best series, LOT, from the event.  I think the Execs in charge of the Crossover should wait until all the new characters min each show get worked in. Last year's Crossover excluded Nate and Amaya. Will they exclude Ava from this year? How about Brainy. Just please, NO NAZIS!!!

2 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

Someone posted on another website that "Legends of Tomorrow" will not be part of the Crossover event.  If not, the CW will be excluding one of their best series, LOT, from the event.  I think the Execs in charge of the Crossover should wait until all the new characters min each show get worked in. Last year's Crossover excluded Nate and Amaya. Will they exclude Ava from this year? How about Brainy. Just please, NO NAZIS!!!

LOT opted not to be a part of the crossover because aside from Sara, the LOT characters never have much to do. So they loose an episode from their season and don’t gain anything because none of their characters appear on the other shows. And now that Sara’s in a relationship and Alex will probably be connecting with Batwoman, it’s easier to exclude them. 

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, BaggythePanther said:

And now that Sara’s in a relationship and Alex will probably be connecting with Batwoman, it’s easier to exclude them. 

Sara and Alex had a one night stand. Sara is with Ava. Please don't put Alex in a relationship with Batwoman. Just because the two characters are bisexual, that doesn't mean that they automatically have a relationship of a sexual nature. I didn't like Alex and Sara together although I love each of them individually. Sex shouldn't be a or device.

Edited by Jacks-Son
11 minutes ago, Jacks-Son said:

Sara and Alex had a one night stand, they are not in a relationship. Sara is with Ava. Please don't put Alex in a relationship with Batwoman. Just because the two characters are bisexual, that doesn't mean that they automatically have a relationship of a sexual nature. I didn't like Alex and Sara together although I love each of them individually. Sex shouldn't be a or device.

I know that Sara and Alex only had a ONS. Not sure where you got the impression I thought Sara was dating Alex.

Also, Alex is a lesbian and as I understand it, so is Batwoman. They’re not bisexual. And you’re right, they shouldn’t hook up just because they both like women. But these writers aren’t very creative so I’m expecting them to write that plot. 

I misread your post and thought you said. Alex was with Sara. When I reread your post I realized that I had totally misunderstood. That's my fault. I tried to rewrite my post but all the attempts failed. I kind of thought Alex was not a lesbian but that she just realized that she loved the detective; not the same thing. The Alex Sara hookup, to me, was her just missing her ex. I don't think of her as being a lesbian or even bisexual, like Sara. 

36 minutes ago, Cranberry said:

It's been stated on the show (and in many, many interviews) that Alex is gay.

I'm not contesting what they "say", they could say that Alex is whatever they say she is, but that to ME, doesn't make it what they say.  Don't get me wrong, if they want to label Alex as Gay, than that's what they want her character to be.  And I have no ulterior motive for believing what I think.  It's just that Alex has never had any reltionships on the show.  Kara went through 2-3 relationships on the show and Alex never had a single one.  Winn had two (if you count his feelings for Kara), James had two, also. Alex, ZERO.  A super cute, tough as nails DEO agent (who could be a lesbian as none of those attributes exclude the other).  However, Alex has never even been shown to even glance at a guy OR woman and check them out.  For me, there's no history or track record, unlike Sara, who had Ollie, than Nyssa, then a series of ONS.  Then they introduced Maggie and now Alex is Gay, NOT bisexual, Not Asexual, not Pansexual (Whatever the heck that is, as I still don't know).  The actress who played Maggie, wanted to move on and to give a reason for a breakup, Alex feels SO strongly that she wants kids that she and Maggie break up.  I know, I'm revisiting what we all know and followed on the show and I hate to speak about the chronology, but with regards to relationships, specifically, Alex's, I just don't see her as solely a lesbian as I have never seen her with anybody.  If she were introduced as a lesbian character, then thast's quite different, but if she's never shown any sexual interests at all, and to say she's Gay or lesbian I'm just not feeling it.  Now, if I come across as insensitive or stupid or ignorant, sorry.  This all started with my wish to not have Alex paired with Batwoman.  To me, it just strikes me as a contrivance, done to attract male viewers who are hesitant to watch 'Supergirl'.  Surprisingly, there are male superhero viewers who don't want to watch "Supergirl" just because she's a woman Superhero.  Yet those same guys will salivate just at the thought of watching Wonder Woman.  If they introduced Power Girl, with her full costume (big boobs and all), those same guys will be all over Supergirl.