Type keyword(s) to search

Super(girl) Media

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

CW president on Supergirl's status:

“We had a moment where they had some production issues,” he said — ones that predated and were independent of Andrew Kreisberg’s removal as co-showrunner, sources tell TVLine.

Pedowitz also cited his previous belief that The CW, for fear of “overload,” ideally doesn’t want all five superhero shows airing concurrently. (Black Lightning debuts Tuesday, Jan.16.)

“At the same time, we thought, ‘This is a good place put put Legends,’ knowing that iZombie would go behind it at the end of February,” he said. And with Supergirl‘s finale now airing outside of May sweeps, “It also allowed us to extend into the summer, to give us more original programming, which is actually a good thing for us.”

All told, Pedowitz maintained, “The fans of Supergirl should not be worried in any way, shape or form. We are big believers in the show, and big believers in [series lead] Melissa [Benoist] and the direction of the show.”

10 hours ago, Trini said:

Extended trailer with more Reign and the Legion of (3) Superheroes:

Seriously, why hasn't a single person asked them: 

1.) Who the other people in their 6 pods are? 
2.) Why they were 12.000 years in the past anyway, what the heck were they doing there? 

It's like, wtf, they basically live in the DEO's basement and nobody asked them who the other people in cryosleep are? They should at least have established the rules of timetravel like by having somebody asks whether they can leech off some future technology from the Legion or get some future knowledge and the Legion saying no. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, tofutan said:

Seriously, why hasn't a single person asked them: 

1.) Who the other people in their 6 pods are? 
2.) Why they were 12.000 years in the past anyway, what the heck were they doing there? 

It's like, wtf, they basically live in the DEO's basement and nobody asked them who the other people in cryosleep are? They should at least have established the rules of timetravel like by having somebody asks whether they can leech off some future technology from the Legion or get some future knowledge and the Legion saying no. 

But that just makes too much sense.

This season relies way too heavily on people acting like like plot devices rather than people. Like, we are supposed to buy that Sam suddenly has this meaningful friendship with Lena and Kara, one would think she would mention to her friends that she is having weird episodes. 

3 hours ago, tofutan said:

Mon-El did explain that.  They weren't actually supposed to be that far back into the past, but the temporal wormhole they encountered took them there anyway.  Since they had no way to get back to the 31st Century via time travel, they programmed the ship to put them in suspended animation for 13,000 years so they would re-awaken in their own time. An explosion caused Mon-El to wake up 1,000 years too early, and he in turn was forced to revive Imra (with Supergirl's help) when her pod started malfunctioning.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 1

DC in D.C. panels: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ6XraN8jGQ

========

Melissa Benoist addresses Andrew Kreisberg firing:

“That was a major disappointment, and the irony was not lost on me,” Benoist said following her panel for Paramount project Waco. “I have to say that the way our show has recovered as a cast and a crew together, we have an atmosphere on set now that I’m extremely proud of and there are a lot of amazing men that work on our show, and we have a lot of amazing women that are in powerful positions on our show as well — now one of our co-showrunners is a female, [Jessica Queller], and the executive producer Sarah Schechter. We’re all in the fight for equality and for a safer atmosphere in the working space.”

Asked how the business does better as a whole, Benoist says, “I think it’s a matter of empathy, and it’s a matter of listening to each other and maybe as standing in each other’s shoes for a day across genders, and across sexualities, across any platforms. I just think it’s a matter of listening to each other. It’s hard to talk about something when you’re still so in the thick of it, when you’re still so engulfed by sorting out the confusion, but I have a lot of hope. I think that people are better than the way things have been.”

Amy Jackson (Saturngirl) was a fan of the show and a Karamel shipper before being cast: 

“Can I be honest? I was a fan of the show before and I was also a Karamel [shipper] before I even signed the show,” Jackson told ComicBook.com. “So I am actually a fan of them also, but I think because I did my homework about the character itself, I knew I was getting into a sticky situation because it’s already formed a relationship beforehand with Mon-El and Kara, but I know that this character is going to be very appreciated and loved because she is a strong character in herself. 

http://comicbook.com/dc/2018/01/19/supergirl-saturn-girl-amy-jackson-was-a-karamel-shipper/

Poor James, really getting hammered by this article, I think every one of his couples gets namedropped: 

15 Arrowverse Couples Who Have Zero Chemistry Together
by Stephanie Holland   January 19, 2018
https://www.cbr.com/arrowverse-couples-no-chemistry/

15. JAMES AND LENA
14. IRIS AND EDDIE
13. MOIRA AND WALTER
12. OLIVER AND SUSAN
11. JAMES AND KARA
10. SHADO AND SLADE
9. WALLY AND JESSE
8. CAITLIN AND JULIAN
7. THEA AND ALEX
6. WINN AND LYRA
5. RAY AND KENDRA
4. BARRY AND PATTY
3. OLIVER AND HELENA
2. FELICITY AND RAY
1. OLIVER AND LAUREL

(I found this in the Arrow Mind Your Surroundings thread, tv echo collected the list)

I think Lyra was a pretty awfully written character, especially since they never bothered to redeem her, but was lack of chemistry really their big problem? 

TBH, I'm starting to think "on-screen chemistry" has more to do with what the viewer is bringing to the show than the actors.  I bring zero interest in romantic pairings except for how they play out as plot devices and never see any chemistry, or lack thereof.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, MarkHB said:

TBH, I'm starting to think "on-screen chemistry" has more to do with what the viewer is bringing to the show than the actors.  I bring zero interest in romantic pairings except for how they play out as plot devices and never see any chemistry, or lack thereof.

While I do think some actors work together better than others, I think this is definitely true.

• Love 1

Melissa wrote an editorial of sorts for Motto.time.com

Supergirl Melissa Benoist: I’m ‘Unabashedly Hopeful’ a Year After the Women’s March

In retrospect, the picture I posted at the Women’s March and the supportive reaction I received gave me clarity in a way I hadn’t experienced before. From the moment I was cast as Supergirl, people have asked me what the responsibility of the job means to me and what the pressure must feel like to be a role model for young girls. I had never truly grasped the significance of my role until that moment. I was instantly tethered to a reality and a world where I would no longer tolerate or accept the things that aren’t fair, no longer be afraid to speak up. I would stop apologizing out of habit. I would join the army of countless other women calling out mistreatment by men who think they have some sort of higher power because of their anatomy.

A couple of interview's with Melissa Benoist about her role in Waco, also talks about Supergirl:

W Magazine:

Beyond the minor logistical challenges of time and space, Benoist also was the faced with the task of switching between an iconic alien superhero and real-life, mysterious figure. But somewhere in-between, some similarities emerged. “They are different, and obviously they have extremely different circumstances and they are in extremely different worlds. But Rachel is perhaps even stronger than Supergirl,” she said. “Supergirl is this unattainable, idealistic optimist of an alien, and all of us can escape into her world, and she always saves the day. Rachel is stronger because she is dealing with all of these circumstances that aren’t normal, for lack of a better term, and are sometimes not palatable to what you would call a quote unquote normal life. What she went through in the FBI siege is unimaginable."

Collider:

Was it more challenging to go back to playing Supergirl than it was to go into playing Rachel Koresh?

BENOIST:  Yes, absolutely! Supergirl was already familiar, so I knew what I was working towards. But where I had ended on Waco was so deeply emotional and sad, so it was definitely harder to go back to Supergirl.

Were there challenges in fitting Waco into your Supergirl schedule?

BENOIST:  Yes, there were a lot of logistical challenges. There was a finite amount of time, and somehow, it just fit. I was lucky that it worked out the way it did. It was a completely different meal to savor and wet my chops on, so to speak.

Interview (and photo shoot) with Melissa at Coveteur.:

And then there’s Supergirl! When it comes to everyday decisions, do you sometimes think back to your character and what she would do?

“Not necessarily, because I think she lives by a moral code and ideals that are unattainable. She’s such an optimist, and I just can’t be that all the time. But a lot of the strength it takes to play that part seeps into my daily life, in ways I don’t even realize. I wasn’t meek before the job, but certainly non-confrontational, and that has broken apart and disappeared. I also feel like this job has really pushed me to stand up for myself in ways that I never would have had the bravery to do before.”

Saw Benoist on Kimmel (aired mid January 2018).

If only that personality came across in her Supergirl portrayal.

It DID in season 1, but hasn't been seen since.

Ratings fell off drastically switching from CBS to the CW. Then they have been in a relatively steady decline since.

This 9 hiatus only two episodes after coming off the winter hiatus is a BAD idea.

People all too easily fall out of a habit. 

#RatingsPlummet

Edited by johnar
On 1/21/2018 at 2:38 AM, tinnefoil said:

Amy Jackson (Saturngirl) was a fan of the show and a Karamel shipper before being cast: 

http://comicbook.com/dc/2018/01/19/supergirl-saturn-girl-amy-jackson-was-a-karamel-shipper/

Poor James, really getting hammered by this article, I think every one of his couples gets namedropped: 

(I found this in the Arrow Mind Your Surroundings thread, tv echo collected the list)

I think Lyra was a pretty awfully written character, especially since they never bothered to redeem her, but was lack of chemistry really their big problem? 

I thought Kara and Winn had real chemistry. I was really pulling for them (by pulling I mean pitching the Producers who ignored me). 

Edited by johnar

Mehcad interview: 'Supergirl star previews hour tackling race in America' -

Were you able to offer some perspective to the writers for this story?

The writers and I got together, and we kinda broke the story together in some ways. I was able to tell my first experience with racism, when I was 7 years old. The freedom that they gave me to be able to tell that story, it was beyond what I thought writers were capable of. Allowing an actor to infiltrate the character in that way. I honestly have never experienced a television show, or a film, that spoke about race so eloquently. Not just the frustration or the bitterness that it can cause, but the sadness and confusion that it can cause to a 7-year-old kid. We don’t frame the debate this way, but we should. Racism, just like sexism, is one of the earliest forms of bullying, right? It’s just becoming acceptable because it’s ingrained in our culture. To have something that’s so superheroic happening, and then all of a sudden, “Oh no, he might to have to unmask,” then to bring it back to this really grounded place, was incredible for me. It was one of the highlights of my career.

• Love 2

DVD/Blu-ray info: http://www.kryptonsite.com/supergirl-season-3-blu-ray-art-extras-revealed/

Just in time for the fourth season premiere on The CW, catch up with the most courageous Super Heroine on TV, who flies into danger to save her city as Warner Bros. Home Entertainment brings you Supergirl: The Complete Third Season on Blu-ray and DVD on September 18, 2018. In Season Three, Supergirl reached almost 3.2M Total Viewers for each original episode.⃰ Fans can purchase the set which, in addition to all 23 super-powered episodes, contains the DC Crossover, the show’s 2017 Comic-Con panel, featurettes, and more! Supergirl: The Complete Third Season is priced to own at $44.98 SRP for the DVD and $49.99 SRP for the Blu-ray, which includes a Digital Copy. Supergirl: The Complete Third Season is also available to own on Digital via purchase from digital retailers.

BLU-RAY & DVD FEATURES

The Best of DC TV’s Comic-Con Panels San Diego 2017
Inside the Crossover: Crisis on Earth-X
She Will Reign! featurette
Gag Reel
Deleted Scenes

• Love 1

Sad that Jeremy Jordan is getting less time; but Winn had kinda already been demoted since Season 2. And Brainy will be replacing him - but at least it will make more sense for him to be doing all that sci-fi/alien/mumbo-jumbo than Winn.

Brainy had only one trait of personality this season, being like a machine who talks in statistics and doesn't understand humans emotions or jokes. They'll need to change a lot about him because I can't imagine Jonn, Alex or even Kara putting up with him for long before they try to kill him

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm assuming this means Jeremy Jordan is going back to Broadway, which is awesome for him, but not as cool for the rest of us.  I like Brainy, but we'll see if that holds with him as a full regular.

Hopefully he'll recur more than Cat Grant/Calista Flockhart.

Edited by Lugal
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, Trini said:

Sad that Jeremy Jordan is getting less time; but Winn had kinda already been demoted since Season 2. And Brainy will be replacing him - but at least it will make more sense for him to be doing all that sci-fi/alien/mumbo-jumbo than Winn.

To say nothing of the fact that he's Kara's canon boyfriend in the comics, although even there, that was more of an off again/on again thing, since she really wasn't that fond of the 1,000-year commute through time.

• Love 1

Chris Wood ends his planned two season arc; won't be returning for season 4 (for now)

“The plan for Chris was always to have him on the show for two years,” executive producer Robert Rovner explains to TVLine. “We’ve loved telling Mon-El’s story, as well as the story we’ve told for him and Kara. We hope the fans felt that it was a satisfying conclusion.”

Adds executive producer Jessica Queller, “They both have destinies in different times as heroes. What they did was the sort-of Casablanca decision of putting what’s most important to them — which is saving the world — first. It’s a little bittersweet that one destiny is to be a hero in this time and one’s destiny is to run the Legion in another time, but I think they grew a lot from knowing one another. They have respect for one another, and they have a respect for the decisions they respectively made.”

I'm surprised they came out and blatantly stated that they had no plans for him to return like they do for JJ; I'm more impressed that they stuck with their two season plan. I mean, that COULD change, as they left the door open for him, and we know JJ is recurring so CW could return as well. 

• Love 1