Type keyword(s) to search

Super(girl) Media

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I have seen Eve Tessmacher in a lot of cast photos, I wonder why she is going to have such a big role this season?

Well, she has been promoted to a full regular. I'm guessing it will hinge off of the tease at the end of last season.

2 hours ago, MarkHB said:
7 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I have seen Eve Tessmacher in a lot of cast photos, I wonder why she is going to have such a big role this season?

Well, she has been promoted to a full regular. I'm guessing it will hinge off of the tease at the end of last season.

I hope it is not that thing where there were 50 of her running around, I can barely stand to see one on the screen. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I hope it is not that thing where there were 50 of her running around, I can barely stand to see one on the screen.  

No, it was the scene near the very end of the season finale where she was wearing a black wig...

I'll just be curious as to how they handle Andrea's real-life pregnancy, especially now that she's got a visible baby bump. As logical as it would be to expect Eve to be pregnant with Lex's child, it's almost too predictable for the writers to actually go there.

1 hour ago, legaleagle53 said:

I'll just be curious as to how they handle Andrea's real-life pregnancy, especially now that she's got a visible baby bump. As logical as it would be to expect Eve to be pregnant with Lex's child, it's almost too predictable for the writers to actually go there.

I’m pretty sure they said they wouldn’t be writing the pregnancy into the show. I always get a kick out of spotting the different ways productions film around pregnancy. I’m curious when she’s due and how that’ll affect the storyline.

Jesse and Katie look so serious in that picture.

1 hour ago, BaggythePanther said:

I’m pretty sure they said they wouldn’t be writing the pregnancy into the show. I always get a kick out of spotting the different ways productions film around pregnancy. I’m curious when she’s due and how that’ll affect the storyline.

Jesse and Katie look so serious in that picture.

Actresses usually wait until the baby bump appears (around the end of the first trimester) to announce the pregnancy publicly, which means that she should be due sometime around mid-late January, i.e., about halfway through the season. So we will probably see a lot of close-up shots and shots of her wearing overcoats and dark clothes to hide the pregnancy as it progresses, and very limited physical-action scenes that actually involve her.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 1

Matt's Inside Line:

Any chance that Season 5 of Supergirl might feature an appearance by Cat Grant — or at the very least, an update on what she’s up to? Last we knew she was Press Secretary to President Marsdin, and a lot’s changed at the White House since then. –Avery

Executive producer Jessica Queller assures us that “Calista [Flockhart] has always remained open to coming back to the show periodically, based on her schedule,” adding that she’s “hopeful that it’ll work out and Cat will make an appearance. It could happen.”

[moved to Spoiler thread]

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1

Season 5 info from TVLine's Fall Preview;              This seems less spoiler-y and more about the general arcs for the season, but I'll put it in a spoiler tag:

supergirl-fall-tv-preview-2019.jpg?w=620

Spoiler

SUPERGIRL

“We think of this as our ode to Black Mirror,” showrunner Robert Rovner says of Supergirl’s fifth season, which finds our heroes battling technology itself. “The hope is that people would be more engaged with what’s going on and wanting to make the world a better place, but they seem to be more engaged with technology. We explore how that affects our characters and how our villains try to exploit that.”

On a more human level, “the relationship between Kara and Lena is the emotional center of the season,” Jessica Queller avows. “Kara’s betrayal puts that friendship front and center.” Meanwhile, as Alex and Kelly are “getting to know each other better,” Nia and Brainy have a “slightly more challenging” romantic journey ahead of them. (“Brainy is… a little different,” the showrunners acknowledge.)

And forget everything you’ve heard about Julie Gonzalo’s character, media maven Andrea Rojas (aka the superhero Acrata). “We put our own Supergirl spin on Acrata,” Rovner says, “one that is unique to our show.” And on the Big Bad front, expect Leviathan’s “agenda for Earth” to play out as a season-long arc.

BONUS SPOILER!: Queller promises a big twist for Eve in Episode 2 — and it’s “not what fans might be expecting.”

Spoiler

I really hate that the only mention of Alex, Nia and Brainy is in relation to romance. I still find it baffling that the writers thought that a super domesticated, baby obsessed version of Alex was what we wanted to see.

• Love 1

It's nice to see a season poster with the cast instead of just Supergirl. Others usually only get a poster if they are a villain or new hero making their debut. I don't think J'onn or Alex have been on a poster in a long time. 

Edited by Oreo2234
  • Love 4

I just badly need them to drop the Alex and baby storyline.

Unfortunately they seem stubbornly committed to that story despite the fact that it hasn't done a single good thing for the character.

Edited by Oreo2234

Preview of the season from IGN, with producer quotes and a new photo from the premiere: 'Supergirl: Season 5 Introduces Dark New Threats'

"We always want the show to reflect back on the real world and tell stories that can relate to that," said Rovner. "We talk about this season as our Black Mirror season. We're really looking at the role of technology in our lives and how people can use technology to escape what's going on in their real lives instead of engaging with those aspects of their lives, and how our villains can take advantage of that."

One of those villains will be the secretive organization Leviathan. The original incarnation of that group was portrayed as an international terrorist cell run by Talia al Ghul, with a new version currently fueling a DC Comics miniseries called Event Leviathan. Neither Rovner nor Queller were able to comment on whether we might see characters like Talia or Jason Todd appear in Supergirl, but Rovner did say the Arrowverse version of Leviathan draws inspiration from both comic book incarnations.

"We're really using canon as our inspiration for our version of Leviathan, although some elements will tie into the latest incarnation of them," said Rovner. "We're really kind of inventing them in a way that serves our Supergirl storyline."

31 minutes ago, Chas411 said:

what are the Saturn awards? Are they televised? 

It's the biggest award for science fiction and fantasy on TV and in film. It's not televised, but the awards were available for streaming.

The full show is here:

...but the one we're all worried about can be found here.

• Useful 1

From TV Insider's Fall preview:

Supergirl

Sunday, Oct. 6, 9/8c, The CW

Dark days are coming for Kara/Supergirl (Melissa Benoist). While contending with vengeful DC Comics villain Midnight (Jennifer Cheon Garcia), the heroine will also face the deadly group Leviathan, the looming exit of buddy James Olsen (Mehcad Brooks) and whatever scorned bestie Lena Luthor (Katie McGrath) is planning now that she knows Kara's secret identity. "Their rift is going to be an essential part of Season 5," promises exec producer Jessica Queller.  

https://www.tvinsider.com/gallery/returning-tv-shows-fall-2019-network-preview/#26

6 hours ago, Trini said:

Extended trailer is out!

----

Hmm - who is Lena talking to at the start?

They must have cast someone to for J'onn's brother (or at least the voice); I wonder why they haven't announced that yet?

They’ve cast someone, but you’re never going to see him on screen. From the Arrowverse Entertainment Weekly issue (https://ew.com/comic-con/2019/07/17/supergirl-season-5-melissa-benoist-lena-kara-crisis-leviathan/)

Adds Rovner, “What’s fun about Mal is that since he’s a shapeshifter, he will shape-shift in every episode that he’s in, and [Phil LaMarr] will only voice the Martian version of him, so we won’t have a regular actor that embodies Mal. Whenever we see him human, it’ll be different.”

I like this, and no doubt a couple of the regulars will take a turn portraying him.

Edited by BaggythePanther
Mobile site sucks
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, BaggythePanther said:

They’ve cast someone, but you’re never going to see him on screen. From the Arrowverse Entertainment Weekly issue (https://ew.com/comic-con/2019/07/17/supergirl-season-5-melissa-benoist-lena-kara-crisis-leviathan/)

Adds Rovner, “What’s fun about Mal is that since he’s a shapeshifter, he will shape-shift in every episode that he’s in, and [Phil LaMarr] will only voice the Martian version of him, so we won’t have a regular actor that embodies Mal. Whenever we see him human, it’ll be different.”

I like this, and no doubt a couple of the regulars will take a turn portraying him.

Okay, thanks! I missed that bit of news.

42 minutes ago, Trini said:

*watches trailer for the 6th time*

Okay, but how did the suit materializing change Kara's hair and earrings??

Whenever Kara puts on the suit her hair always changes and she looks like she stepped right out of the salon. I have no answer for the earrings though.

• Love 1

Most of the time, they don't even show her change -- which is fine -- or it's super fast, so I can assume that she took her hair down, etc. even when I don't see it directly. But here, we're seeing the transformation happen at once, but we don't even see her put her hand up to take out her bun. Maybe it will look better in the episode, but it's noticeable that in one shot to the next, her head is totally different with no transition.  /nitpick

Edited by Trini

'Melissa Benoist and Chris Wood Join Greg Berlanti to Raise Money for Immigrants at Concert for America'

Fresh off their wedding earlier this month, Melissa Benoist and Chris Wood teamed up with Jane Lynch, Kate Flannery, Wayne Brady and more Saturday night to help raise money for low-income immigrants.

The star-studded group, which also included Yuri Sardarov, Gina Torres, Grant Gustin, and Caroline Rhea, were all on hand Saturday night for a host of musical and comedic performances and speeches at Seth Rudetsky and James Wesley’s Concert for America at UCLA’s Royce Hall, with all proceeds benefiting the National Immigration Law Center.

“It’s such an important cause and it’s something that deserves attention,” Wood told reporters. “Anytime we as artists can lend whatever abilities we do have, or at least interests we have to do something that’s impactful, I think it’s necessary and something we should do.”

Although Wood revealed that he and Benoist didn’t know what song they were singing together ahead of the concert, they went on to fittingly (and flawlessly) sing Irving Berlin’s “Old Fashioned Wedding” as if they had practiced together for months and the Supergirl star also kicked off the show with a solo performance of Carole King’s “Beautiful”.

Before the event began, their good friend Gustin, who performed “Running Home to You” from his TV show “The Flash”, told reporters the couple’s wedding was “amazing” and that he saw the duo’s coupledom first spark during a special episode of their shows. “When we were shooting our musical episode, we all realized that they liked each other,” he said.

• Love 1

Arrowverse Extravaganza: What To Expect From Batwoman, Supergirl, The Flash, and Arrow

"Season Five is our Black Mirror season—we will be exploring how technology is changing the fabric of human life as people hide behind their devices and escape into virtual worlds rather than facing issues head on. We're very excited to introduce two new characters who will shake up CATCO and be foils for Kara —Andrea Rojas played by Julie Gonzalo and William Day played by Staz Nair," they told us. "The true heart of the season will be the fractured relationship between Kara and Lena in the wake of Lena discovering Kara's true identity. The journey of whether their friendship can recover will be compelling and deeply emotional."

On 9/21/2019 at 11:37 PM, Trini said:

the looming exit of buddy James Olsen (Mehcad Brooks) and whatever scorned bestie Lena Luthor (Katie McGrath) is planning now that she knows Kara's secret identity. "Their rift is going to be an essential part of Season 5," promises exec producer Jessica Queller.  

Seriously???  They're going to devote an entire season to some silly tiff between two best friends? Please!  They're both grown women, they're not 12 yr old kids. Best friends don't fight over stupid shit. Manufactured unnecessary melodrama.

On 10/6/2019 at 3:22 AM, Jacks-Son said:

Seriously???  They're going to devote an entire season to some silly tiff between two best friends? Please!  They're both grown women, they're not 12 yr old kids. Best friends don't fight over stupid shit. Manufactured unnecessary melodrama.

Have you met people? There are places where you can get shot for something as dumb as looking at someone the wrong way. People can be petty and hold onto grudges for way too long.

23 hours ago, BaggythePanther said:

Have you met people? There are places where you can get shot for something as dumb as looking at someone the wrong way. People can be petty and hold onto grudges for way too long.

Yes, there are places where that happens, And yes, people can be Petty and hold on to grudges way too long,  but not between two best friends. Both Kara and Lena have cared too much for each other and protected each other many times. To hate someone because they didn't tell you their most important secret and one that's withheld for your own safety is stupid fabricated drama.  Part of the reason Kara withheld that information is because it could bring harm to Lena, AND Lena's brother, the world's most dangerous person, wants Kara dead.  Look at what her own brother started in her, a dangerous hate towards her best friend.

• Love 1

Interview with Azie Tesfai, discusses Kelly's arcs and working with Sean Astin:

It seemed like Kelly was developing a little bit of a superpower at the end of the episode. Can you tease what that might mean in the future?

Kelly doesn’t quite understand the world [of Supergirl]. She cares about people in this universe, in this world – Alex and James and Kara and Lena and Nia and all of them. But she doesn’t get the scope of it. And I think that in the next episode you’ll see her start to realize what she’s involved in and start to understand that world better.

Another Azie interview;

Moving on to Kelly's relationship with her brother, how does she feel about James' job opportunities this season? And how is she going to handle his upcoming departure?

Kelly has always believed James has more potential than he has. She sees her brother in the best light and thinks he can truly change the world. Him leaving his job with this new character coming in wasn't a bad thing in Kelly's eyes. She thought, "Now you can go on and grow and help people in other ways."

The departure is hard. I can't say how or when, but it was hard for Kelly. It's hard for me as an actress because I love Mehcad. It was hard for the whole cast. He is very close to every single person on this show. It was very personal for everyone. When that episode airs, you'll see there's a lot of sadness from every single character and every single actor with that departure. You really feel it. It was heartbreaking to do.

Casting news:

Nick Sagar, better known to Shadowhunters fans as the duplicitous Victor Aldertree, will recur in Supergirl‘s fifth season as Rip Roar, “a multi-armed, technologically enhanced villain who goes toe to toe with [Kara],” TVLine has learned exclusively. He’ll make his first appearance during Sunday’s episode.