Type keyword(s) to search

Super(girl) Media

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

The DC Fandome schedule went live this morning (to view it, you have to create an account) - although I didn't see a Supergirl cast panel per se (the other DC TV shows have show-specific panels in the WatchVerse), there were some b-t-s Supergirl-related panels (I used EST times)...

Saturday, Aug. 22 (Hall of Heroes)*

2:15pm    Multiverse 101 - Panel

Get schooled in this engaging refresher course on the creation of the Multiverse with DC Chief Creative Officer/Publisher Jim Lee, Warner Bros. Pictures President of DC-Based Film Production Walter Hamada, and Berlanti Productions founder/DCTV mega-producer Greg Berlanti. 30 min

Saturday, Aug. 22 (WatchVerse)*

1:45pm    Truth, Justice, and the DC Comics Way - Panel

Who would have thought the “injustices of the world” first read in comic books and then acted out in some of today’s most popular DC Super Hero films and television series would intersect with today’s real-life civil, social and political unrest? Join us for a conversation with series stars David Harewood and Nicole Maines (Supergirl), Marvin “Krondon” Jones III (Black Lightning), Anna Diop (Titans) and executive producer/showrunner Eric Wallace (The Flash) as they discuss how the genesis of comic books has always been rooted in the search of truth and justice: it’s the DC Comics way! 45 min

Saturday, Aug. 22 (InsiderVerse)*

1:00pm    Supergirl - Pilot EPK

A truly exclusive opportunity as an insider to see the short sizzle reel created behind the scenes of the Supergirl pilot episode. 2 min On Demand

1:00pm    How Supergirl Celebrates Strong Women

Take a heartfelt and powerful DC InsiderVerse trip with the stars and producers of Supergirl as they celebrate the show’s title character and her embodiment of female power! 5 min On Demand

4:30pm    Behind the Scenes of the Arrowverse Crossover - Panel

Multi-hyphenate Marc Guggenheim joins The Flash first assistant director Phil Chipera, Batwoman costume designer Maya Mani, DC’s Legends of Tomorrow property master Lynda Chapple, and Batwoman/The Flash/Supergirl senior visual effects supervisor Armen Kevorkian to discuss the detailed and meticulous behind-the-scenes efforts that went into making the mega-crossover event “Crisis on Infinite Earths” happen. The talented group will offer exclusive and insider stories for fans that only those on working on set have been privy to. 15 min

5:30pm    The Super Designers Behind the Super Suits - Panel

From the golden hue of Wonder Woman’s armor to the laser-printed fabric that makes up Batwoman’s Batsuit and the electrifying wardrobe inside Harley Quinn’s closet, take a fashion deep dive into the unparalleled looks across DC films and television. Costume designer Trayce Gigi Field (2 Broke Girls) speaks with Lindy Hemming (Wonder Woman films, The Dark Knight films), Erin Benach (Birds of Prey) and four-time Academy Award®-winning costume designer Colleen Atwood as they explore their different creative processes and design techniques behind the styles of your favorite DC characters. 20 min

6:00pm    Propping Up a Set - Panel

Have you ever noticed props in films and television shows that put a finishing touch on a scene and think, “Hey, I had that,” “I want that,” or “What great detail?” It turns out there are talented men and women behind the scenes making sets model real life. Join us for a conversation with professionals from both film and television as they give us a behind-the-scenes look at being a prop master/set decorator, including the responsibilities and challenges they have faced during their careers. Join Lynda Chapple (DC’s Legends of Tomorrow), Matthew Wilson (Supergirl), Drew Petrotta (The Suicide Squad), Andy Siegel (Birds of Prey), and Anna Lynch-Robinson (Wonder Woman 1984) for an intimate conversation. Who knows, you might even want to join their ranks!  10 min

6:30pm    Heroes Behind the Action - Panel

This exclusive InsiderVerse panel features stunt coordinators and Gal Gadot’s Wonder Woman stunt double who divulge secrets from under the mask, sharing how some of the greatest stunt performances were created — from concept to execution, resulting in some of the biggest action moments in DC television series and films. Join stunt coordinators Danny Le Boyer from Black Lightning, Walter Garcia from DC’s Stargirl, Simon Burnett from Supergirl, Larnell Stovall from Titans, and Eunice Huthart from Justice League and the upcoming feature The Flash, along with Christiaan Bettridge, Gal Gadot’s stunt double on Wonder Woman 1984. 20 min

7:00pm    Capturing the Action in Still Frame - Panel

This panel features unit still photographers Clay Enos (Wonder Woman), Jessica Miglio (The Suicide Squad, Gotham), Katie Yu (The Flash, Supergirl, Batwoman) and Steve Wilkie (Titans, SHAZAM!), who capture the action through a still lens and celebrate the moments where what they have captured in a split second results in a timeless image. 15 min

7:30pm    The Magicians of VFX: Making Supergirl and SHAZAM! Fly - Panel

The visual effects teams behind both Supergirl and SHAZAM! unite for a behind-the-scenes conversation about how the folks on the ground get the stars in the air, both in-person and virtually. Get ready to lift off with Supergirl senior visual effects supervisor Armen Kevorkian, co-executive producer/director Jesse Warn and Melissa Benoist’s stunt double Jennifer Clarke, plus SHAZAM! visual effects producer Cari Thomas, visual effects supervisor Michael Wassel, visual effects co-producer Adam Lagattuta and visual effects production supervisor Wesley Barker. 20 min 

(* All of these panels have encores later the same day/night/next day - see schedule.)

Edited by tv echo
EDITED to add panel mentioned in post below.

According to TVLine David Harewood and Nicole Maines will be part of a panel called Truth, Justice and The DC Comics way. A few cast members from other DC shows and The Flash's showrunner are also taking part in the panel. 

Maybe with Melissa Benoist being unable to attend they decided not to do a major Supergirl panel?

Edited by Oreo2234
  • Useful 1
7 hours ago, Oreo2234 said:

Maybe with Melissa Benoist being unable to attend they decided not to do a major Supergirl panel?

It's still very odd that they didn't do one with the EPs and the rest of the cast. You can still have a panel without the lead actress.

• Love 1

DC Fandome has now been split into two days: "DC Fandome: Hall of Heroes" (mostly movies) is still scheduled for Aug. 22; however, "DC Fandome: Explore the Multiverse" (mostly TV shows in WatchVerse, both film & TV bts features in InsiderVerse) has been moved to Sep.12 (on demand for 24 hours) - here's the new schedule that pertains to Supergirl (all times listed are EST)...

DC FANDOME: HALL OF HEROES, Saturday, August 22 (Hall of Heroes)*

(* These panels have encores later the same day/night/next day - see schedule.)

2:15pm    Multiverse 101 - Panel
Get schooled in this engaging refresher course on the creation of the Multiverse with DC Chief Creative Officer/Publisher Jim Lee, Warner Bros. Pictures President of DC-Based Film Production Walter Hamada, and Berlanti Productions founder/DCTV mega-producer Greg Berlanti. 30 min

--------------------------------------------------------------------

DC FANDOME: EXPLORE THE MULTIVERSE, Saturday, September 12 (WatchVerse)

1:00pm (24 hours)    Truth, Justice, and the DC Comics Way - Panel
Who would have thought the “injustices of the world” first read in comic books and then acted out in some of today’s most popular DC Super Hero films and television series would intersect with today’s real-life civil, social and political unrest? Join us for a conversation with series stars David Harewood and Nicole Maines (Supergirl), Marvin “Krondon” Jones III (Black Lightning), Anna Diop (Titans) and executive producer/showrunner Eric Wallace (The Flash) as they discuss how the genesis of comic books has always been rooted in the search of truth and justice: it’s the DC Comics way! 45 min

DC FANDOME: EXPLORE THE MULTIVERSE, Saturday, September 12 (InsiderVerse)

1:00pm (24 hours)    Behind the Scenes of the Arrowverse Crossover - Panel
Multi-hyphenate Marc Guggenheim joins The Flash first assistant director Phil Chipera, Batwoman costume designer Maya Mani, DC’s Legends of Tomorrow property master Lynda Chapple, and Batwoman/The Flash/Supergirl senior visual effects supervisor Armen Kevorkian to discuss the detailed and meticulous behind-the-scenes efforts that went into making the mega-crossover event “Crisis on Infinite Earths” happen. The talented group will offer exclusive and insider stories for fans that only those on working on set have been privy to. 15 min

1:00pm (24 hours)    Capturing the Action in Still Frame - Panel
This panel features unit still photographers Clay Enos (Wonder Woman), Jessica Miglio (The Suicide Squad, Gotham), Katie Yu (The Flash, Supergirl, Batwoman) and Steve Wilkie (Titans, SHAZAM!), who capture the action through a still lens and celebrate the moments where what they have captured in a split second results in a timeless image. 15 min

1:00pm (24 hours)    Heroes Behind the Action - Panel
This exclusive InsiderVerse panel features stunt coordinators and Gal Gadot’s Wonder Woman stunt double who divulge secrets from under the mask, sharing how some of the greatest stunt performances were created — from concept to execution, resulting in some of the biggest action moments in DC television series and films. Join stunt coordinators Danny Le Boyer from Black Lightning, Walter Garcia from DC’s Stargirl, Simon Burnett from Supergirl, Larnell Stovall from Titans, and Eunice Huthart from Justice League and the upcoming feature The Flash, along with Christiaan Bettridge, Gal Gadot’s stunt double on Wonder Woman 1984. 20 min

1:00pm    How Supergirl Celebrates Strong Women
Take a heartfelt and powerful DC InsiderVerse trip with the stars and producers of Supergirl as they celebrate the show’s title character and her embodiment of female power! 5 min On Demand

1:00pm (24 hours)    Propping Up a Set - Panel
Have you ever noticed props in films and television shows that put a finishing touch on a scene and think, “Hey, I had that,” “I want that,” or “What great detail?” It turns out there are talented men and women behind the scenes making sets model real life. Join us for a conversation with professionals from both film and television as they give us a behind-the-scenes look at being a prop master/set decorator, including the responsibilities and challenges they have faced during their careers. Join Lynda Chapple (DC’s Legends of Tomorrow), Matthew Wilson (Supergirl), Drew Petrotta (The Suicide Squad), Andy Siegel (Birds of Prey), and Anna Lynch-Robinson (Wonder Woman 1984) for an intimate conversation. Who knows, you might even want to join their ranks!  10 min

1:00pm (24 hours)    Supergirl - A World Left Behind: Krypton
This documentary explores the history of the famous planet Krypton and its role and depiction in Supergirl. 15 min On Demand

1:00pm (24 hours)    Supergirl - Pilot EPK
A truly exclusive opportunity as an insider to see the short sizzle reel created behind the scenes of the Supergirl pilot episode. 2 min On Demand

1:00pm (24 hours)    The Magicians of VFX: Making Supergirl and SHAZAM! Fly - Panel
The visual effects teams behind both Supergirl and SHAZAM! unite for a behind-the-scenes conversation about how the folks on the ground get the stars in the air, both in-person and virtually. Get ready to lift off with Supergirl senior visual effects supervisor Armen Kevorkian, co-executive producer/director Jesse Warn and Melissa Benoist’s stunt double Jennifer Clarke, plus SHAZAM! visual effects producer Cari Thomas, visual effects supervisor Michael Wassel, visual effects co-producer Adam Lagattuta and visual effects production supervisor Wesley Barker. 20 min 

1:00pm (24 hours)    The Super Designers Behind the Super Suits - Panel
From the golden hue of Wonder Woman’s armor to the laser-printed fabric that makes up Batwoman’s Batsuit and the electrifying wardrobe inside Harley Quinn’s closet, take a fashion deep dive into the unparalleled looks across DC films and television. Costume designer Trayce Gigi Field (2 Broke Girls) speaks with Lindy Hemming (Wonder Woman films, The Dark Knight films), Erin Benach (Birds of Prey) and four-time Academy Award®-winning costume designer Colleen Atwood as they explore their different creative processes and design techniques behind the styles of your favorite DC characters. 20 min

DC FANDOME: EXPLORE THE MULTIVERSE, Saturday, September 12 (YouVerse)

1:00pm (24 hours)    Fan Q&A with Cast and Crew of WBTV DCTV Series
The cast and crew of more than a dozen WBTV DCTV series answer fan questions.

1:00pm (24 hours)    Greg Berlanti Reacts to Fan Art
"Arrowverse" and DCTV executive producer Greg Berlanti reacts to fan art inspired by some of DC's biggest moments and characters. 3 min On Demand.

Edited by tv echo
2 hours ago, Avabelle said:

I only really follow Supergirl so the whole multiverse just confuses me more than anything. All I really want to know is when they’ll be back filming..

My hunch is that it boils down to "when the British Columbia Health Dept. and Melissa all feel comfortable." She's presumably going to be bringing a newborn up there, and if she's as nice and humble and unassuming on set as people (I.e., Kevin Smith) say she is, I think she's earned the ability to throw her "#1 on the call sheet" weight around a little. 

I only really follow Supergirl so the whole multiverse just confuses me more than anything. All I really want to know is when they’ll be back filming..

Right now they are expected to film from September 28 to May 30th but that could easily change. 

Edited by Oreo2234
  • Love 1

The Hollywood North.Buzz website lists Supergirl's target dates as September 28-April 5th. If this is accurate than it looks like it will have a significantly shortened season. I wonder why the dates changed? I suppose it could have something to do with whether this is the final season. But if not then maybe its related to scheduling since the show isn't supposed to premiere until at least the spring. 

Edited by Oreo2234
7 hours ago, Avabelle said:

How long is maternity leave in America/Canada? Or more specifically do actresses Decide whether or not the return earlier or later to set?

In Canada, it is 1 year but can be extended to 18 months (you get roughly the same amount of money, can just choose to have it over 12 or 18 months). I don't think the Canadian rules apply to MB though, unless she is paying into the Canadian EI system.

7 hours ago, secnarf said:

In Canada, it is 1 year but can be extended to 18 months (you get roughly the same amount of money, can just choose to have it over 12 or 18 months). I don't think the Canadian rules apply to MB though, unless she is paying into the Canadian EI system.

The US law is that you get 90 days of unpaid leave. Now, that's for us ordinary working stiffs; Melissa, as Number One on the call sheet and known as an all around nice person, may well have all kinds of good karma points built up with Berlanti and company and get special handling.

Upcoming DC TV Shows: Full List Of 2020-2021 Premieres So Far
JASON WIESE      PUBLISHED: SEP. 6. 2020
https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2553922/upcoming-dc-tv-shows-full-list-of-2020-2021-premieres-so-far

Supergirl, Season 6 - The CW (TBD 2021)
Originally debuting on CBS before it joined her Arrowverse family at their home on The CW, Melissa Benoist’s run as the tough as nails Kara Danvers (Clark Kent’s cousin) has been a success of Kryptonian proportions. There is no confirmation for when Supergirl, and Benoist’s improved costume from Season 5, will return for its sixth season, but it is expected to premiere sometime in early 2021.

Edited by tv echo

DC promo focusing on the minorities/diversity at FanDome; I think most of the clips are from the BAWSE panel and the Truth, Justice, and the DC Comics Way panel (clips of Nicole Maines and David Harewood):

In the Truth Justice and the DC Comics Way panel at FanDome, David Harewood talked about what he wants to see for J'onn Jonzz. He said he'd like to see him comfortable in his own green, Martian skin instead of always appearing as a human; that actually sounds interesting as a story, it just sucks that it would be dependent on the VFX budget.

This Sep. 19th Supergirl panel included Jeremy Jordan, Jesse Rath, Nicole Maines and Helen Slater, with GalaxyCon moderator Patty Hawkins - I only transcribed a few tidbits below...

Galaxycon Live Panel cast of Supergirl 9-19-2020
Galaxycon Alternative1   Sep 20, 2020

-- Jesse: "We're in Vancouver and we're - we're, uh, poised to strike on the new season and, uh, yeah, things are - are exciting, you know. Uh, the ball has just started rolling and we're about ready to start rolling next week. And, uh, that means I'm going to have to shave this manly beard. And so I'm, uh - it's bittersweet."

-- When asked how they got involved in the Arrowverse, Helen said that she received a phone call asking her to appear on Supergirl, adding that a similar thing happened to her with Smallville. She noted that it's become a "trope" to have actors in older superhero shows appear in the newer superhero shows ("legacy casting").

-- When Jeremy auditioned for the Supergirl pilot in 2015, he was initially rejected by the network (CBS), but "Berlanti and folks" convinced the network to let them bring Jeremy on as a guest star for the pilot "as a trial run" and then after the pilot, he was promoted to series regular. He got to do a chemistry read with Melissa Benoist.

-- Jesse was brought in to audition for a character named "Ralph Richards" to appear in one episode. He was already a fan of the Arrowverse shows and was very excited. It wasn't until three or four days before shooting started that he was told he was playing Brainiac-5 and would be painted blue. He found out during his costume fitting and was introduced to the costume fitter as Brainiac-5. He was supposed to be told before then, but they forgot.

-- Nicole auditioned off a self tape. She paid "a kid" $70 to film and edit her audition tape. She didn't hear for awhile, but then she was asked for another self tape, she met the EPs, and then was asked to fly to Vancouver.

-- Jeremy talked about how difficult it was to do the emotional scenes when he left the show. He also praised the Supergirl cast as being "wonderful human beings" and having "no big divas."

-- When asked who messes up their lines the most, Jeremy: "I want to say, a lot of people, but David is really bad at it, Chyler can be pretty epic, and Melissa is notorious for not being able to do act outs. But I think I would say David. Right? Wouldn't it be David?" Jesse: "Maybe. Yeah. I think he features a lot in the blooper reels." Jeremy: "But the thing is, like, he will mess up his line and not even realize he did it."

-- Helen mentioned that she was 18 years old when she played Supergirl in the Supergirl film and that now being brought in to play Supergirl's mom was like "aging gracefully" in this "pretend and play" superhero world.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, tv echo said:

-- When asked who messes up their lines the most, Jeremy: "I want to say, a lot of people, but David is really bad at it, Chyler can be pretty epic, and Melissa is notorious for not being able to do act outs. But I think I would say David. Right? Wouldn't it be David?" Jesse: "Maybe. Yeah. I think he features a lot in the blooper reels." Jeremy: "But the thing is, like, he will mess up his line and not even realize he did it."

Can someone help me out with what an "act out" is?

• Love 1
5 hours ago, shantown said:

Can someone help me out with what an "act out" is?

In stand-up comedy an "act-out" is physically acting out a joke instead of just delivering it into the mic. I'd assume that he's saying Melissa flubs lines a lot when she has to deliver them while doing something physical.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

Just saw that.  It sounds like it was decision by all the main players (the network, the studio, the producers, and even Melissa Benoist herself.)  I wonder if they were always leaning towards this being the last one or if all of the COVID-19 stuff helped speed things up.  I also wonder if the upcoming Superman/Lois show played any part in it.

Curious to see how they end all of this.  And if any of the other D.C. shows follow suite.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

Just saw that.  It sounds like it was decision by all the main players (the network, the studio, the producers, and even Melissa Benoist herself.)  I wonder if they were always leaning towards this being the last one or if all of the COVID-19 stuff helped speed things up.  I also wonder if the upcoming Superman/Lois show played any part in it.

Curious to see how they end all of this.  And if any of the other D.C. shows follow suite.

I'm not surprised at this at all. I think that it's very likely that it was going to head in this direction (if not this season, then definitely next season as the last). I think that it's a smart move as well. As much as I'll miss many of the characters, I think that it's better to end on a high note (despite the fact that I do believe that last season was a total mess). 

• Love 3

Not at all surprised. In fact, the minute I heard that Melissa Benoist was pregnant I betted that this next season would be the last.

It's just too hard for female stars of action shows to continue with a series like this once you have a kid. It's unfair (because if a male lead has a wife who's pregnant I'm sure it wouldn't impact his same show in any way), but this is the way it goes for women. I remember the last season of Alias when Jennifer Garner was pregnant too, knowing it would end.

Meh.  I've always thought Supergirl was by far the weakest of the Arrowverse shows and Benoist by far the weakest lead (give or take a Ruby Rose).  I'll probably watch the last season just because I've stuck with it this long, but not really a big loss IMO. 

I'm not surprised. We were discussing this before COVID, especially due to a combination of her baby and the fact that she seemed to want to do other roles. 

It is better to end with a plan and before it becomes a complete shadow of itself and of course with Melissa and not try and figure out a way they can work around a star that isn't there half the time or bring in a new character. 

• Love 1

Deadline has a little more info concerning the start date and that Melissa was going to join the production "later" 

https://deadline.com/2020/09/supergirl-end-season-6-the-cw-melissa-benoist-1234582197/?fbclid=IwAR0ptnndWIjQf5Y9-sVFvE2tBlu_LzNlZIkdUfmkQWA94oH4LjzsrFpvq6Y

The ratings were already in free fall for a while and I suspected that Melissa wants to be a mom for a while so it's not surprising.  (It also may diminish the need for any explanations with Kate going "missing" on Batwoman and her friendship with Kara.)  But not sure how a longer final season is the best way to go...that's dragging out the inevitable. 

The CW is at a turning point with the Arrow verse shows.  I feel with Stargirl and Superman and Lois (with no pilot shot) coming in, the Flash is probably the next to go even though it's currently the highest rated show on the network. 

• Useful 1
5 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

the Flash is probably the next to go even though it's currently the highest rated show on the network. 

I think they’ll keep The Flash as long as Grant Gustin wants to do it.  But his contract is up after this season, so....🤷🏻‍♀️  

Not too surprising - actors usually start to get antsy after 5+years on a series like this, especially if their contract wraps up. 

The big question will be what happens to Kara.  Does she travel into the future to be with Mon-El (ugh), which would explain why she never stops by to help Superman?  I don't think Argo City came back after Crisis but if it did then she could always head there for awhile too. 

I think Grant is very 50/50 but he'll likely do 1 season at a time contracts. At least with Legends, they've shed majority of the people that cost serious money with either pay or special effects, Batwoman just got a brand new actress so that already cut costs to a degree. Now with Supergirl ending, TheCW is looking pretty good from a budgeting standpoint. 

😥  Aw, this is sad. I had issues with the writing, but I still enjoyed the cast; and I thought they'd at least have a seventh season. Besides Benoist's motherhood, I'm guessing this whole Covid mess was a big factor.

A statement from Melissa:

• Love 4