Type keyword(s) to search

Super(girl) Media

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

6 minutes ago, Starry said:

It's possible season 6 is going to have less episodes but I also think that they are going to have a short hiatus, film as much content as possible before Melissa starts showing too much and then take a long break around the time of the baby's birth.

Well, Melissa is also likely at least three-four months along anyway so, at the very least, Supergirl will be for midseason. That means it's incredibly likely that Superman & Lois is for fall and Supergirl's replacement for the time being.

The question I'm more wondering is about Chris' new pilot. I believe it's being filmed in New Jersey. Not that it's set to film in NJ if it gets picked up, but I do wonder how this will impact both of their jobs. It isn't likely that both will be flying back and forth from Vancouver to NJ.

• Love 3

Congrats!

----

Woo! Can't believe I called it!

And for the record, I don't think Melissa's pregnancy means the end of the show, either. (She's not the first lead to be pregnant.) The production company and network have been very accommodating; and I assume they want the show to continue as long as possible. 

2 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Well, Melissa is also likely at least three-four months along anyway so, at the very least, Supergirl will be for midseason. That means it's incredibly likely that Superman & Lois is for fall and Supergirl's replacement for the time being.

Oh, this sounds reasonable. Although everyone's going to miss SuperBat Sundays. :(

In addition to reduced screentime, reduced episodes, and a shifted filming and airing schedule, I'm going to throw out the possibility that they bring in another version of Supergirl to keep the title accurate.

Replacing a lead is a rare and tricky feat to pull off, but it's not impossible. [Filming spoiler:]

Spoiler

And it doesn't necessarily have to be a completely different actress; we've seen Alex in a supersuit. (Although, we don't know the context yet.) It's a comic book show; powers can be transferred.

(edited)
1 hour ago, Trini said:

Replacing a lead is a rare and tricky feat to pull off, but it's not impossible. [Filming spoiler:]

It's not impossible but shows that do that tend to only last a couple more years anyway: Stargate, The Office, OUAT, TVD etc. Arrow considered it before eventually deciding to end it with Oliver and try a spin off. This show already has another Superman show lined up for next season. Trying to limp on with Kara 2 or another character gaining her powers seems more trouble than it's worth when they have a whole 'Verse ongoing. 

I don't think it means Melissa will definitely leave the show when her current contract ends, there are plenty of lead actresses who had (several) babies whilst anchoring a show, but if Melissa leaves the show will almost certainly be over IMHO. 

Edited by Featherhat
  • Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, shantown said:

This is the perfect time for them to stop doing the gigantic crossovers and scale down to smaller crossovers just between 2 shows!

Guggenheim has said that since there’s no way to top Crisis, next season’s crossover will be smaller, just between two or three shows. Also, they had the intention to set up Kara and Kate as a new version of Barry and Oliver. Curious if this news will change any crossover plans.

I have a feeling that towards the end of next season Supergirl may end up in the Power Rangers version of the suit for big fight scenes while Kara does lots of laundry.

Congrats to the happy couple. I love that second picture in the Instagram post.

ETA:

4 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

@Lady Calypso why do you think Supergirl will be a mid season replacement? It seems like they will start filming for next season before anyone else.

Edited by BaggythePanther
(edited)
1 hour ago, BaggythePanther said:

@Lady Calypso why do you think Supergirl will be a mid season replacement? It seems like they will start filming for next season before anyone else.

Well, part of the reason why they're filming is for the possible writer's strike, right? So if the writer's strike happens, that means production will be delayed. Plus, if Melissa is due in the summer, it allows her to take a comfortable maternity leave without having to rush straight back into work. I also feel like it's easier to accommodate for Melissa's pregnancy if Supergirl airs midseason instead of the fall. They can essentially spread out production if they really wanted to. They wouldn't have to rush Melissa right back into filming so she didn't miss a whole bunch of episodes. 

So, my theory is that they do film the first two-three episodes of season six, or however many they can film, before Melissa goes on maternity leave. So, if she wants to take more than a couple of weeks of maternity leave, she can. And ordering Superman & Lois to series is kind of a perfect Supergirl replacement. I originally thought that they might just pair the two shows up...but maybe they'll have S&L air first and then Supergirl will replace it in January/February.

I could be wrong, but I think that it's possible that they put Superman and Lois in the fall, to accommodate for Melissa's pregnancy. So, if there IS a writer's strike, they at least have a couple of episodes filmed just in case. I don't know how many episodes they'll have filmed if the writer's strike happens, which is why I'm not entirely confident on my theory. I don't know all the facts.

Again, just a theory. With how odd The CW can sometimes schedule their shows, I wouldn't be surprised if I'm off base. But I feel like delaying Supergirl to midseason actually works better for Melissa's pregnancy. 

ETA: Plus, just thinking about it, it seems likely that they're starting some filming early because if they start in July, like usual, then Melissa should be fairly far along and it becomes harder to hide her pregnancy. This way, they can still somewhat hide her bump by filming a couple of months early.

Edited by Lady Calypso
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Well, part of the reason why they're filming is for the possible writer's strike, right? So if the writer's strike happens, that means production will be delayed.

I'm not an expert but - I don't think the possible writer's strike is a factor.

And from what I remember from the last writer's strike (or almost strike?), it doesn't necessarily have to stop production if scripts are stockpiled beforehand.

I know she's not the first lead to be pregnant, but I think there are some differences that make this kind of show harder to do when that happens. 1) It's an action show and they really can't hide it like they can with others, 2) it's the kind of show with a heavy shooting schedule that films 22 episodes a year with only a 10 week hiatus normally, and 3) it films in Vancouver.

I foresee issues. They'll almost certainly have to cut back on episodes and/or film without her for a while. And then, after the baby's born I predict she will not want this kind of filming schedule in another country with an infant at home (and Chris with another show of his own starting soon, right?). On other shows it's easier to hide pregnancies or work around them, and also easier for the actors to commute to work in LA, which isn't far from their homes.

I don't know- I'm guessing Supergirl will end sooner than later, esp with Superman and Lois on deck to replace it.

• Love 3

Melissa will probably out of comission for about 5 months. I am guessing she will maybe filmed tlll the she is in the 6th month. And then there is also the fact that she wont be able to just get into the Supergirl suit right away. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, ruby24 said:

I don't know- I'm guessing Supergirl will end sooner than later, esp with Superman and Lois on deck to replace it.

Back on IMDB boards, when they still had them, I wrote something similar that the show might end when Mel either gets pregnant or hits that mark when she can't physically be SG.

(edited)

Melissa will probably out of comission for about 5 months. I am guessing she will maybe filmed tlll the she is in the 6th month. And then there is also the fact that she wont be able to just get into the Supergirl suit right away. 

A 4-5 month break sounds likely to me. There have been actresses who've filmed quite close to their due date but the nature of this show and her role would make that harder. If they start early as rumored they might film some episodes, go on a long break, and then film the rest of the season. 

Six seasons is a good run though the combination of potentially cutting episodes, less Kara/Supergirl and a potential writers strike might not make for the most ideal final season. But I totally understand why Melissa Benoist would want to leave after next season. 

Edited by Oreo2234
  • Love 1

I don't think they will write it in. Mon-el isn't coming back as a regular and I don't think they will want her to have a kid with a guy she just got with. And I don't think the writers actually want babies on this show. It's probably why Alex doesn't have a kid yet. 

(edited)

TV Line's feature (inspired by Melissa's announcement) on how other TV shows have dealt with pregnant actresses. Lots of options. And as far as I can tell, none of the shows ended because of the real-life pregnancy.

Edited by Trini

I go back and forth on whether season 6 is the last. Today I think Melissa will renew her contract. Tomorrow I will change my mind again.

This may be a bit out there and I don't know if the network has ever done it but could they potentially film two short seasons as opposed to ending the show with a 20 episodes season? Especially when things like Melissa's pregnancy and a strike may have a negative impact on the writing/production for season 6?

2 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

I don’t think the show will end because of the pregnancy. But. Having a baby might play into Melissa’s decision to re-sign or not. 

Basically. There are ways around her bump and maternity leave, even for an action show with her character's name on it but does she want to continue it when it shoots in a place she doesn't live with her husband potentially working in NY or NJ next season. And she herself might be ready to move on to different roles anyway after S6, like SA and EBR were and others also look like they might be. Then again she might be ready to stay for 10 seasons, we just don't know. I personally think the show should end when she calls it a day and not try to find a new Supergirl or carry on with the team but that's a different discussion. 

42 minutes ago, Starry said:

This may be a bit out there and I don't know if the network has ever done it but could they potentially film two short seasons as opposed to ending the show with a 20 episodes season? Especially when things like Melissa's pregnancy and a strike may have a negative impact on the writing/production for season 6?

Could do, mid season shows only have 13-17 episodes, it really depends on what she's thinking, how things are going with the rest of the Arrowverse and things like the writers' strike. 

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, Featherhat said:

... I personally think the show should end when she calls it a day and not try to find a new Supergirl or carry on with the team but that's a different discussion. 

For the record, when I suggested that they could bring in another Supergirl, I meant temporarily until Melissa is back.

7 hours ago, Oreo2234 said:

I don't think they will write it in. Mon-el isn't coming back as a regular and I don't think they will want her to have a kid with a guy she just got with. And I don't think the writers actually want babies on this show. It's probably why Alex doesn't have a kid yet. 

Plus, so far as I know, Mon-El is still married to Imra.

We talk about Melissa and action scenes, but when was the last time we saw her do some new wire work? I don't recall much real action from her in quite a while.

1 hour ago, Oreo2234 said:

According to TVline Supergirl, along with The Flash, has halted production. It was filming the finale and was set to wrap on Tuesday. 

Do you know how much the other arrowverse shows had left to film?

Probably at least a few weeks for The Flash and Batwoman. Supergirl had two less episodes this season than Batwoman and The Flash so it was close to being finished. Legends of Tomorrow is already done filming.

I don't know what they will do if the hiatus lasts a long time. Supergirl might have shot enough that they could edit it into a coherent finale but maybe The Flash and Batwoman will have to finish their storylines at the beginning of next season. 

Edited by Oreo2234
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Not to mention any plans to get a jump of season 6 filming to accommodate Melissa's pregnancy. Hope the cast and crew stays safe and well - I love watching Supergirl, but I respect their prudence.

• Love 2
On 3/13/2020 at 8:56 PM, Oreo2234 said:

Supergirl had two less episodes this season than

I've seen this mentioned elsewhere but has anyone from the show (or a major outlet) actually confirmed this?

That's odd. The TVline article said it completed 19 of 20 episodes earlier. I don't think the revision is correct. I think they were only filming the 20th episode when it shut down. 

Edited by Oreo2234
  • Love 2

Nicole Maines talked to Inverse about Nia at the end of Season 5 and the show shutting down production. Currently some of the cast are in Vancouver, others are in LA. The show was filming the season finale and had a few scenes left. I don't know if they could make a decent finale out of what they shot or not. Hopefully none of the remaining scenes were very important. They are still waiting to resume production but I doubt that will be happening soon. 

Edited by Oreo2234
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

According to Nicole Maines the producers have formulated a plan to finish the season finale with the completed footage they have. It sounds like there might be couple of things left up in the air but I assume they will probably be addressed in the season premiere. Having the season premiere pick up right after the finale would probably be the most satisfying way to do that. I would link the website but I'm having trouble with the site and I'm not sure its secure. 

Edited by Oreo2234
  • Love 2
(edited)

HomeCon (Virtual Event), April 10-11, 2020 (Twitch Streaming)
Arrow: Ben Lewis, Anna Hopkins and Kris Holden-Ried 
Supergirl: Nicole Maines, Azie Tesfai and Andrea Brooks
Batwoman: Camrus Johnson and Rachel Skarsten
https://homeconofficial.com/ 

HomeCon connects individuals who are respectfully staying at home to an online event community that’s bringing a brand new face to the world of pop culture conventions. Attendees will have the opportunity to attend live virtual panels with the stars of their favorite shows—and they will be able to book video chats with celebs in intimate one-on-one video settings. HomeCon is the ultimate virtual fan experience.

Edited by tv echo
On 4/8/2020 at 8:21 AM, tv echo said:

HomeCon (Virtual Event), April 10-11, 2020 (Twitch Streaming)
Arrow: Ben Lewis, Anna Hopkins and Kris Holden-Ried 
Supergirl: Nicole Maines, Azie Tesfai and Andrea Brooks
Batwoman: Camrus Johnson and Rachel Skarsten
https://homeconofficial.com/ 

Was going to post about this, and Katrina Law has been added to the Arrow Panel.

Melissa Benoist interview about directing the next episode at EW: https://ew.com/tv/supergirl-melissa-benoist-directing-lex-luthor/

What jumped out at you from a directing perspective when you read the script for the first time? 

MELISSA BENOIST: Considering it was the first time in the director's chair for me, I think I'd be remiss if I didn't say how terrified I was. That just went without saying, that I was scared, but reading it also had this thrilling aspect to it because I was going to get to be the one to visualize it and make sure the tone was coming across. I guess only since season 4, we've had these episodes that were a departure from the story and took a step back and gave us Lex Luthor's point of view, and this is one of those episodes. So, I couldn't believe how lucky I was that I got to be the teller of that particular story for our season, where we recap the entire season from Lex Luthor, Jon Cryer's eyes. And I was very excited to get to work with him closely in an actor-director relationship. Aside from the initial terror, and wondering whether or not I was capable of doing it, I was so excited and immediately just imagining what I wanted to do and thinking of shots.

(edited)

New feature at DC's website: 'The Hope and Watchability of Supergirl'

DC Binge is a new series of articles letting you know what #DCTV shows are available for streaming, where you can find them and why they’re worth your time. In this installment, Amelia Emberwing makes a powerful case for Supergirl.

Edited by Trini
9 hours ago, Trini said:

Considering it was the first time in the director's chair for me, I think I'd be remiss if I didn't say how terrified I was.

• LOL 2

Another interview with Melissa: https://www.eonline.com/news/1147033/supergirl-s-melissa-benoist-talks-the-sheer-terror-of-directing-and-how-she-dressed-the-part

"I wanted to just logically be able to understand how it fit into the rest of the season, because it follows Lex Luthor [from] the day after Crisis on Earth Prime, and you see his entire perspective for the entire season up to this point," she says. "There was a lot of ground to cover, and where it fell in with what our super friends have been doing and what's going on with Lena and Kara and what's been going on with Leviathan, and there was just a lot to unpack."

Luckily, Benoist says, Jon Cryer is such a pro who knew all the ins and outs of Lex Luthor, and she's got a fantastic crew. Plus she knows quite a bit about the show already. 

"I've been so lucky that I've been there from the beginning and I know this show like the back of my hand," she says. "It almost feels like a second skin to me now. But it was a lot of support from a lot of people coming up with ideas, because we're all over the place in this episode. We go to space, we're all over the world, we're in a million different places at once. Keeping that straight, it took a circus of people." 

• Love 1

Interview with Melissa at TV Insider: https://www.tvinsider.com/933161/melissa-benoist-directs-supergirl-season-5-episode-17/

It's a great episode. It's got all the heart that Supergirl has always had. It's got the adventure. It's so cool to be watching it and thinking, "Oh, this is actually through the eyes of Supergirl."

And that was really important to me to convey. I'm so lucky that I've had this experience and that for five years now, which a big chunk of my life, it's been so meaningful to me. It's almost like a second skin to me now, these characters. And because this episode doesn't really focus on the characters that I play, I didn't want to lose the sense that it was an episode of Supergirl. It just was a different hero for this episode. And I still wanted that tone.