Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E06: Romancing Mr. Bridgerton

• Start Topic

Servants and the so-called lower classes know all the gossip about the Ton, or so one can glean from reading a library full of regency romances.

None of the carriage drivers or footmen or the printers thought, "Lemme claim the 5000 pounds?"

This season is a little flat for me. Penelope is breathing way too hard in almost every scene. 

• Like 21

I was getting really tired of the endless Whistledown discussion--tell him, don't tell him, blah blah blah--so that ending was delicious and perfect. I haven't gone on to the next one, I'm still basking in the Drah-ma.

The best part of this one though was Ruth Gemmell's facial expressions in the scene where she encourages Francesca and Stirling to wait until the end of the season, and then when they told her they wanted her to speak to the queen. Hilarious.

• Like 3

Here I was thinking that the titular Mr. Bridgerton was just Colin, but it turns out its also about the elder Mr. Bridgerton and the couple that really want him to be their third. I was wondering if they would come back around to Benedict and his "bohemian" interests, and even though he pretty much panicked and ran for it there was definitely a vibe. 

Cressida is looking increasingly like a life sized origami art project, I guess that's what happens when she wants to stand out as the new Queen of Gossip. I love how lame her first attempt sounded and how unhappy her mom looked, it was like the Regency equivalent of starting your rap with "yo yo yo" it sounds as generic as possible. 

For a second there I swear that they were all dancing around a Dalek and this was about to be a wild crossover after Dr. Who just had their Bridgerton episode.  

• Like 3
  • Fire 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 14
8 hours ago, Pothunter32 said:

Servants and the so-called lower classes know all the gossip about the Ton, or so one can glean from reading a library full of regency romances.

None of the carriage drivers or footmen or the printers thought, "Lemme claim the 5000 pounds?"

Excellent point, although every time I started to think about the servants knowing more than any of the Bridgertons or Featheringtons or the Danburys or the Queen, some dialog or wardrobe or scenery was there to distract me, like the

3 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Dalek

…which I thought still looked like a Dalek after it opened its arms.

Maybe a couple of throwaway lines were considered in which some servants toy with the idea of getting the reward but then figure they'd wind up in a dungeon instead, and then the writers/Shonda decided that would not be on-point with the story.

• Like 4
9 hours ago, Pothunter32 said:

This season is a little flat for me

I’m very bored. I think Colin is a terrible leading man. Someone else said it… he has no charisma. 

• Like 12
  • Applause 1
(edited)

I love the fact that Pen isn't feeling well, evidenced by her paleness and sweating, and she still has to recuperate in full dress at all hours of the day. Give my girl a PJ set and a neck pillow tbh

ETA and I know her illness is anxiety but damn. Everyone deserves to lounge.

Edited by Kate47
  • Like 2
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Kate47 said:

I love the fact that Pen isn't feeling well, evidenced by her paleness and sweating, and she still has to recuperate in full dress at all hours of the day. Give my girl a PJ set and a neck pillow tbh

ETA and I know her illness is anxiety but damn. Everyone deserves to lounge.

At the very least, remove the dang corset! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I swear, when they were on the balcony and Paul was standing under the full moon, I shouted: he's a vampire!  They both are, Benedict thought Lady Arnold was inviting him upstairs for a bisexual threesome, when in actuality they were about to initiate him into vampirism! 

Really though, where is Lord Remington?  He was Lady Whistledown's biggest fan, if he hadn't correctly guessed that Cressida is a liar, he's surely have proposed marriage by now, unlike Colin I think he'd be very encouraging of LD. 

• Like 6
  • LOL 4

I am so glad to read that I was not the only person who watched that scene wondering when, precisely, the Dalek was going to attack.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
(edited)

Well, I suppose he had to find out. They couldn't drag it out much longer. And Penelope and Colin had some sweet moments in this episode first.

From the previous episode thread:

20 hours ago, Orcinus orca said:

OK, color me clueless with Cressida announcing that she is Whistledown.

Does she expect the Queen to pay HER the 5,000 pounds for fessing up?  I would imagine her parents will disown her, the old dude will certainly dump her and then what?  She's penniless and nobody is going to talk to her again lest she spill their secrets?

You were right! But I'm very disappointed. The show and Eloise seem to have thrown Cressida under the bus. She is screwed, and she's lucky to have her mother fighting her corner because she just lost her only friend for... reasons? Eloise is now happier to be friends with the woman who wrote all the poisonous stuff than with a woman who didn't write any of it but who is pretending she did. I'm confused.

I love Adjoa Andoh's voice. I wonder if she does any audiobook narration.

Edited by Kirsty
  • Like 6
  • Applause 1
45 minutes ago, Kirsty said:

You were right! But I'm very disappointed. The show and Eloise seem to have thrown Cressida under the bus. She is screwed, and she's lucky to have her mother fighting her corner because she just lost her only friend for... reasons? Eloise is now happier to be friends with the woman who wrote all the poisonous stuff than with a woman who didn't write any of it but who is pretending she did. I'm confused.

A couple possibilities occur to me:

1. Eloise is acting as though she is buying Cressidown. If Cressidown were real, Eloise should not want to be Cressida's friend because it would have meant that Cressida would have been guilty of all of LW's crimes against her family and worse, had the audacity to befriend her afterwards.

2. Eloise's central trait, to me, is truth-seeking and honesty. The fact that Cressida can a) take credit for something that she did not do publicly and b) not admit the truth privately to Eloise is probably a deal-breaker. I imagine if Cressida had enlisted Eloise in her confidence and said "Look, I'm obviously not Whistledown. But I claimed to be to get out of my marriage to Lord Oldie, and now I'm stuck. Can you help me?" Eloise would have been happy to.

3. Eloise at the end of everything loves Pen and is upset that Cressida is grabbing credit from Pen.

• Like 12
1 hour ago, Kirsty said:

I love Adjoa Andoh's voice. I wonder if she does any audiobook narration.

She does--

https://www.audible.com/search?searchNarrator=Adjoa+Andoh&ref_pageloadid=not_applicable&ref=a_pd_The-Po_c1_narrator_1&pf_rd_p=df6bf89c-ab0c-4323-993a-2a046c7399f9&pf_rd_r=97VYHBDM551VN9ZCGYHW&pageLoadId=cn5AE84fJJJopjoD&creativeId=16015ba4-2e2d-4ae3-93c5-e937781a25cd

Most of these titles are also available on other platforms like Libby.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 3

Did no one else notice the bruises on Cressida’s mother’s arm which she quickly covered with her glove? I imagine her angry husband blames her for everything. Don’t think Cressida knows what is going on with her parents.

• Like 7
  • Useful 5
(edited)
33 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

Did no one else notice the bruises on Cressida’s mother’s arm which she quickly covered with her glove? I imagine her angry husband blames her for everything. Don’t think Cressida knows what is going on with her parents.

I wondered what those marks were. My friend thought they were marks from ink to show us that Lady Cowper had done the writing.

Hands down my favorite scene was when Lady Danbury yelled at her brother and her real accent came out when he called her by her Sierra Leonean born name.

Edited by mrsbagnet
  • Like 5
  • Useful 4
17 minutes ago, mrsbagnet said:

I wondered what those marks were. My friend thought they were marks from ink to show us that Lady Cowper had done the writing.

Hands down my favorite scene was when Lady Danbury yelled at her brother and her real accent came out when he called her by her Sierra Leonean born name.

Maybe it was ink. Given how awful the husband is I just assumed it was bruising.

• Like 1

I thought it was ink and meant to communicate to the viewer that Lady Cowper had written the copy. She looks out at everyone reading the card, smiles to herself, gives a satisfied little glance toward her ink-covered arm, and then adjusts her glove. Nothing in how it was shot or acted indicates we’ve just been shown something as serious as confirmation that her husband beats her.

• Like 9
  • Useful 2
On 6/13/2024 at 7:26 PM, Kate47 said:

ETA and I know her illness is anxiety but damn.

I just hope they don't go with the trope of her being pregnant.  (I haven't read the books, so please no.)  Speaking of, I keep wondering if her sisters really are pregnant or just wishful thinking.  I expect Pen to beat them to the punch somehow.

On 6/13/2024 at 9:34 AM, Pothunter32 said:

Other than Mrs Featherington's maid do any servants exist?  They are pretty invisible.  

I loved that Cressida showed up to the party in a red gown, just like Scarlet O'Hara.  She would be a great face for LW with her mom doing the actual writing.

I was surprised Benedict ran away from the 3some.  I bet he does indulge before the season is over.  

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Haleth said:

Other than Mrs Featherington's maid do any servants exist?  They are pretty invisible. 

There are servants in the background a lot, we see them in numerous scenes. But yes, they are pretty invisible - as they are supposed to be. And as they were meant to be in reality! They were supposed to blend into the background, serving unobstrusively without drawing attention to themselves, just part of the furniture. But they heard everything and knew everything that went on.

• Like 2

Am I supposed to be hoping that Cressida can somehow pull it off? Because I am. That's honestly the only story I care about at the moment. 

They've twisted Eloise's character so far this way and that to fit the plot, her motivations are completely nonsensical. She does continue to be a horrible friend, so yay consistency?

Colin just isn't magnetic enough to be a lead. The actor is okay, but the characterization is just awful. In the books, he's supposed to be witty and observant. And I know, these aren't the books and that's fine, but he's just a dullard. There's been a flashing neon sign over Pen and Eloise all season that Something Is Going On, and he just tips his head, parts his lips in a vacant smile, and accepts whatever they tell him. I don't know if it's a function of trying to be a more female-driven show, but he's wallpaper. Pointed collars and contouring makeup are not personality traits. Hopefully now that he *finally* is asking some questions, the actor will get some decent dialog to work with.

Why are the Mondriches still here? I was *way* more interested in them running the club than being nouveau ton. I guess the modiste is the only "normal" person now?

• Like 8
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Jane Tuesday said:

There's been a flashing neon sign over Pen and Eloise all season that Something Is Going On, and he just tips his head, parts his lips in a vacant smile, and accepts whatever they tell him. I don't know if it's a function of trying to be a more female-driven show, but he's wallpaper. 

Well, in the age where upper and middle class women couldn't study, travel alone or work (under class women of course had to work), women and men's worlds were wide apart. Therefore, a female friend was often much more closer than a lover and a husband. 

In the show, however, the writers could have written scenes between Pen and Colin. Now their friendship is more told that shown.

• Like 1
On 6/13/2024 at 4:34 PM, Pothunter32 said:

But gossip can be true or not, and it's always not only about facts but about interpretations. As outsiders always knew only parts of facts, their interpretation was greatly influenced by imagination or even malice. 

I thought again about the scene where Anthony finds Simon and Daphne kissing. Wasn't there only those present? If so, Daphne's reputation wasn't damaged. It was actually the duell that damaged it. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Roseanna said:

But gossip can be true or not, and it's always not only about facts but about interpretations. As outsiders always knew only parts of facts, their interpretation was greatly influenced by imagination or even malice. 

I thought again about the scene where Anthony finds Simon and Daphne kissing. Wasn't there only those present? If so, Daphne's reputation wasn't damaged. It was actually the duell that damaged it. 

Cressida saw them and made a comment to Daphne. Daphne realized it later and ran off to stop the duel.

I still wonder what happened to that necklace. Maybe a servant found it and quit his or her job immediately. 

• Like 3

I liked learning why Lady Danbury hated her brother. Also, her trying to foist him off on other women instead of Violet.

I thought it was ink too but abuse makes much more sense especially since Cressida's mother has suddenly done a 180 since Greer and trying to help her daughter. I don't like Cressida pretending to Lady Whistledown but I love that red gown. 

I love Francesca and John the best. I love how easy they are falling in love and in their own way. Not dramatic or anything. I like her pointing out to her mother that not all marriages are like that. Most are in regency romance but it is nice to see a couple not going through all that. Their just happy. 

I don't understand Eloise suddenly dropping Cressida and suddenly friends with Penelope. It makes no sense. I did like Cressida being pissed at Eloise. Cressida is going through a real big problem being forced to marry Greer and trying to find any way out of it. And Eloise really doesn't care.  She really is a terrible friend.

Darn I was kind of hoping for a threesome. Somehow I thought Benedict would be up for that.

• Like 2
22 hours ago, Jane Tuesday said:

Colin just isn't magnetic enough to be a lead. The actor is okay, but the characterization is just awful. In the books, he's supposed to be witty and observant. And I know, these aren't the books and that's fine, but he's just a dullard.

While the actor who plays Colin is obviously very attractive, there's something about the way he's styled, combined with his facial features, that reminds me of the apes from the original Planet of the Apes movie. (And yes, I know how crazy that sounds.)

That aside...I think the character would be a lot more swoonworthy if he had a sense of humor. Anthony had a few amusing lines last year, which made him a lot more palatable.

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

While the actor who plays Colin is obviously very attractive, there's something about the way he's styled, combined with his facial features, that reminds me of the apes from the original Planet of the Apes movie. (And yes, I know how crazy that sounds.)

That aside...I think the character would be a lot more swoonworthy if he had a sense of humor. Anthony had a few amusing lines last year, which made him a lot more palatable.

The sad and frustrating thing is that your wish is actually how Colin is characterised in the book. He is someone who everyone likes, he always has just the right thing to say to make people laugh and feel at ease. His good looks and his charming smile are also a huge part of his popularity. To me, this hasn't been reflected in the series.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
On 6/14/2024 at 1:01 AM, Glade said:

I swear, when they were on the balcony and Paul was standing under the full moon, I shouted: he's a vampire! 

Glad I wasn't the only one thinking vampire!  The setting was just perfect.  Alas, no...

I side with ink vs. bruise for Cressida's mother.  I think it was clearly showing she was the author, not Cressida.  But damn, why can't anyone wash their hands in this place?

I loved the floral Dalek, but I wasn't as impressed as I think I was supposed to be.  Maybe there needed to be butterflies or doves flying out.  Damn, these balls get thrown together fast. 

I kept waiting for some big reveal as to who bought the Mondrich's club.  I don't know why, but the way they were talking about it made it seem like this was going to be some plot point.  Either the introduction of a new character, or finding out the Brigerton boys all bought it together, or something. 

• Like 3

It drove me to distraction trying to figure out who Mr. Threesome Dude was, and it turned out I didn't recognize the actor... but about an hour after I watched it, I thought, "Oh! He looks like Russell Brand!" 

Immediate ladyboner killer, that.

• LOL 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, AnnieBananie said:

It drove me to distraction trying to figure out who Mr. Threesome Dude was, and it turned out I didn't recognize the actor... but about an hour after I watched it, I thought, "Oh! He looks like Russell Brand!" 

Immediate ladyboner killer, that.

At first, I thought Paul (Mr. Threesome Dude) was being played by Nathan Parsons, who took over as Lafayette's boyfriend on True Blood Season 7...

Nelsan Ellis Nathan Parsons - True Blood 705-1 re resize.gif

Then I remembered his season of True Blood happened a decade ago in 2014, so unless Parsons was actually a vampire and not aging, it had to be someone else - which led to the discovery that Lucas Aurelio was the name of the actor playing Paul.

Edited by giovannif7
moved gif
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1