Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: Why Is Jack’s Arm Bleeding

• Start Topic

(edited)

TUESDAY, MAY 7, 8:00-9:00 p.m. EDT 

After discovering the body of a missing girl 13 years later, Will and Faith reopen the case leading to Will experiencing frequent flashbacks as they uncover the truth. Meanwhile, Angie and Ormewood investigate the death of a veteran.

Edited by DanaK
On 5/5/2024 at 10:07 AM, Snazzy Daisy said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Just realized, Betty's eyebrows are similar to those of my childhood dog, who had no Chihuahua blood (AFAIK).  I determined (long after the fact) that she was a Doberman/Basenji mix.

Brownie copy.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wink 1

Has anyone ever told Will Trent “it wasn’t your fault” before?

Will’s Uncle better not be evil.  Will needs good people telling him it’s not his fault.   

• Like 10
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1

Local weather broke in just as Uncle Antonio started knocking on the door! 😩

Can someone recap please and thank you? So Will had the gun, what happened then? 🙏🏽

• Angry 1

Am glad the traumatic event that happened to 12yo Will is finally unlocked. It has started to feel draggy. And the flashbacks keep disrupting COTW, causing it to lose momentum.

Lily Watkins’ case invokes the same sadness that I had with a CSI Vegas’ case in S02 (The Promise). Young black girls had gone missing, their disappearances weren’t taken seriously and leads went cold over time.

The army buddies’ case is a good arc for Michael. We get to see another side of him. It’s also good to see Kurt Yaeger again.

• Like 12
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, Snazzy Daisy said:

Am glad the traumatic event that happened to 12yo Will is finally unlocked. It has started to feel draggy. And the flashbacks keep disrupting COTW, causing it to lose momentum.

This is exactly how I felt. I was getting bored with them and just wanted it over with. I was more interested in Ormewood's case in this one, and felt it didn't really get closure with the killer's other two friends.

• Like 8
14 hours ago, Badsamaritan said:

Local weather broke in just as Uncle Antonio started knocking on the door! 😩

Can someone recap please and thank you? So Will had the gun, what happened then? 🙏🏽

I think you missed half the episode? I'm not sure I can remember enough to give a recap of the entire thing, but the key issue with Will's flashbacks is that he was living with a foster family where the woman was nice to him but the man was beating her severely and he was drunk a lot, so WIll hid his gun. One night the guy was beating the woman so badly that Will was afraid she'd die, so he got the gun and pulled it on the man. The man got the gun away from Will and was threatening to shoot Will. The woman tried to wrestle the gun away but in the process her husband shot (and killed) her. Will feels like it's his fault, but Uncle tells him it's not, that he was trying to help, he was a kid, and the abusive man was the one who was at fault.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

Same feelings.  Glad Will unlocked this memory and that his uncle was there for him to tell him it wasn't his fault.  Hopefully, Will can keep his uncle in his life and maybe work through anymore trauma.

And yes, too many women of color disappear and aren't cared about unless it gets major attention.  Was glad that Lily Watkin's case got solved and loved Faith's disgust with the dad.

Ormewood and Angie's case looked interesting and it was a way to make Michael more interesting and a more interesting case than the whole Angie and Crystal thing.  Something says the roommate thing with Joey is a disaster waiting to happen and no more oxygen needs to be expended on that storyline.

• Like 6
(edited)

The thing about Will's trauma is that right now he's feeling guilt, but underneath that is the grief. The guilt is misplaced, but the grief is real, and real stuff ultimately hurts in a way you can't shrug off the way you can theoretically just deny a lie. 

Not only did the foster mom die, but he lost yet another mom-- his original mom, then Amanda, and now this one. 

It's really touching that instead of giving up, he's continued to commit to decency and he keeps trying to do the right thing, and to be open to love, instead of just withdrawing or becoming cynical and bitter.

He was quick to bond with Faith, for example.

He is still able to trust. He still cares. He doesn't protect himself from more pain by becoming callous.

He's a mess, but he hasn't been fully broken as happens to a lot of people after less trauma than he's had.

I like that they make it seem realistic-- he's not a superhero, he's just a person who's still trying.

Edited by possibilities
  • Like 7
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, milkyaqua said:

And yes, too many women of color disappear and aren't cared about unless it gets major attention.  Was glad that Lily Watkin's case got solved and loved Faith's disgust with the dad.

The bit at the end with Amanda and Faith was touching when Amanda reminded Faith (& the audience too) of the disappearances of Monica Bennett (missing since 1989), Kemmia Pate (1998), Sonya Tukes (2004), Nikita Wingo (2006), & Athena Curry (2011).  Yes, I did need to google those dates.  

• Like 10
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Uncle Antonio was right about Will needing a vacation, he's had such a rough year. I'm glad that he's already figured out what he was repressing and I am extra glad that he had someone there to tell him that his foster moms death isn't on him. In a way, feeling guilty can be easier than feeling grief, and having so many mixed up emotions after so much trauma can be hard for anyone, let alone a kid, no wonder he blocked that out. 

Both cases of the week were good, even if I felt like they were both a bit incomplete, I would have liked more closure with the dead veterans friends and the addict son, but both stories were interesting and kept me guessing. Faith's cold disgust at the killer was great, what a total scumbag. I also thought it was a good episode for Ormewood, exploring that part of his past is way more interesting than his marital woes. 

Pretty heavy episode, but at least Betty got to go to the doggie beauty parlor and looked super cute in her scarf!

• Like 6

That was intense. My heart hurts for Will. I already have a jangled nervous system today, don't think watching this was a wise choice!

• Like 3
5 hours ago, fastiller said:

The bit at the end with Amanda and Faith was touching when Amanda reminded Faith (& the audience too) of the disappearances of Monica Bennett (missing since 1989), Kemmia Pate (1998), Sonya Tukes (2004), Nikita Wingo (2006), & Athena Curry (2011).  Yes, I did need to google those dates.  

Thanks for looking up those names. I assumed they were real. 

I've seen (and read about) plenty of stories explaining that women of color who go missing are not given the attention that missing blonde white women are, but I guess there are still many people who need to be told about this. I liked hearing Amanda say, "Their lives matter."

I'm so glad Will's traumatic backstory was revealed. But man, I will tell you, tears were rolling down my cheeks. 

Like others here, I really hope his uncle is a good guy. Part of me is suspicious. I hope I'm wrong.

I wish I could embrace the Angie and Ormewood storylines in the show, but I just get bored. I guess it is impossible for the writers to integrate those two characters in every Will case. I think I just need to get over my aversion to any story that doesn't involve Will.

I actually didn't hate Angie and Will together on the bench. 

Lots of Betty makes me happy.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, possibilities said:

They seem to have realized we love Betty. She had nothing to do with the plot this week, but they still managed to give her a lot of screen time.

My husband hates TV in general ( I know!) but only watches this show for Betty. So this was a good ep for him. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, fastiller said:

So did I.

I'm wondering if Ormewood remembered to pick up his gun as he was walking Wallace (was that his name?) out of the woods.  I think it's unlikely a cop would disarm themselves when approaching a distraught man who could have had a weapon.  You might end up getting a log smacked into your head, or worse.

How awful is the Atlanta PD; it seems like even a half-assed investigation would have led to Ethan (a kid Lily's age that she interacted with through her babysitting job) and then ultimately to the father.  Plus the layout of the home, with how easily she could sneak out of her room, should have been very apparent.  As well, it took Will about 12 seconds to see the drawing in Lily's room and to wonder if she drew it or if someone gave it to her.  

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

I love that Nico has figured out a way to get free* toys and possibly other supplies for Betty. 

My theory regarding why so many fans are a little obsessed with Betty is that in a show that can be rather dark and dealing with some of the worst aspects of humanity, the presence of a cute little dog is a breath of fresh air. 

Also is it just my imagination or are Betty and Angie getting along much better than they used to? 

*Free in the sense that Will and Nico do not have to pay for them. Strangers on the internet who think Betty is adorable pay for them. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Calvada said:

it took Will about 12 seconds to see the drawing in Lily's room and to wonder if she drew it or if someone gave it to her.  

I was kind of shocked that he pocketed it, though. Is it usual to steal things from the homes of families you're interviewing? 

I've definitely noticed Angie and Betty seem to be friends now.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, possibilities said:

I was kind of shocked that he pocketed it, though. Is it usual to steal things from the homes of families you're interviewing? 

Yeah, I would have expected him to ask the parent if he could take it. I'm currently watching Vera, and she always asks. ("May I take this, pet? Thanks, luv.")

• Like 2
6 hours ago, possibilities said:

He should have put it in an evidence bag.  And used gloves?  Over a decade later, is it still possible to get either fingerprints or touch DNA from a piece of paper?  

• Like 2
23 hours ago, milkyaqua said:

When I lived in the SF Bay Area in the late 80s/early 90s, there were a lot of little girls who went missing. My daughter fit the description of them, and I was pretty concerned. Then I read the SF Chronicle, and saw barely two inches (if that) on a missing little girl of color. I was really upset that she got so little press, compared to all the little white girls at the same time.

13 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

What's up with this rehabilitation of Ormewood?

I don't know, but I like it.

9 hours ago, possibilities said:

I was too. It seemed very unlike him, and totally contrary to police rules and regulations (as I understand them).

On a very different topic - Will's accent. Watching this I noticed that none (or most) of the other actors do a southern accent. His is merely to disguise that his normal accent (which isn't that strong, imo)

Will Trent on Kelly and Mark

• Love 1
57 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

On a very different topic - Will's accent. Watching this I noticed that none (or most) of the other actors do a southern accent.

I was just noticing this last night too. Ramon does kind of a refined Savannah accent for Will, but this was the first time I picked up that no one else has an accent.

Ever since Bon Bon mentioned it, I am obsessed with Amanda's fashion sense. She was wearing a jacket this episode that was plaid with random leather patches on it, and if I wore that, I'd look like a hobo circus clown, but she made it work.

• Like 1
On 5/6/2024 at 7:34 AM, transitfan said:

Just realized, Betty's eyebrows are similar to those of my childhood dog,

It's more common than I thought.  I had a dachshund mix with those eyebrows and I've seen them on other breeds too.

Betty commutes from Florida, according toe Ramon's misc interviews. She is apparently so good that they prefer to fly her in for every episode, rather than hire a local dog!

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Also is it just my imagination or are Betty and Angie getting along much better than they used to? 

Maybe Betty realizes that Angie saved her life by putting her in the hamper.

• Like 10

Hopefully Will’s trauma can be a minimum the rest of the season because some of those scenes really dragged the momentum of the main storyline. Also, why isn’t he seeing a therapist??

I also hope that Will’s uncle isn’t a bad guy. He seems so sweet and supportive. Will needs a win for once in his life.

• Like 10

I believe that was also a choice to highlight that investigations of these missing people of color are frequently incomplete and and not thorough. 

I am interested to see where they are going with the uncle 

I am still not interested in ormewood and wish he had died in the explosion instead of Cricket....is that too harsh???

The story with Angie and the girl is beyond boring, but I suspect that situation is what will lead to a permanent breakup with Will when he finds out all the ins and outs. 

39 minutes ago, catrice2 said:

I believe that was also a choice to highlight that investigations of these missing people of color are frequently incomplete and and not thorough. 

Yes.  I'm still mourning Alaska Daily, which had a running theme of investigating disappearances of Indigenous women.

40 minutes ago, catrice2 said:

I am still not interested in ormewood and wish he had died in the explosion instead of Cricket....is that too harsh???

Nope.  This show is so serious, we could have used a laugh.  Ormewood's recent work is more tolerable than the family drama though.

• Like 2