Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E10: Isaac’s Wedding

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, possibilities said:

I also didn't understand how Patience was with Flower in the well but not there for the rescue. Did she want to stay in the dirt?

Maybe she's so unhinged, she no longer cares.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 1

Yeah, the whole Patience thing was weird.  She was attracted by Flower's screaming. OK, I guess that makes sense.  Even though nobody else heard her screaming.  And she had to hear it through dirt. And I can accept that after a century wandering blindly around in the dirt, she's gone a bit crazy.  But, how did finding Flower in the well, suddenly enable her to find her way back into the basement?  And can she now find her way around perfectly?  Why else risk dragging Isaac in far enough for him to become lost?

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
9 hours ago, DanaK said:

the stripper was back and almost died

Do people who have a serious food allergy just sample hors d'oeuvres without asking what’s in them beforehand? Just a thought. 

9 hours ago, phalange said:

So there are limitations to Pete’s ghost power. He can venture away from the mansion but not for too long or he starts disintegrating. He did have a nice time on vacation though, and even met someone. Good for you, Pete

“I’m here on vacation with my family.”  Are you sure, Pete?  Didn’t see you try to go to your family once.

Baxter may be peripheral, but doesn’t he sound like James Bond?

• Like 5
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

But, how did finding Flower in the well, suddenly enable her to find her way back into the basement?  And can she now find her way around perfectly?

Maybe she heard Pete tell Flower which direction to go when he was instructing her to go through the dirt to the basement (before they rescued Flower).  

Seemed like there was a lot going on in this episode.  All this buildup to the wedding, and then that didn't happen.  It was a little bit of a let-down because of the hype.  I was more interested in Pete's vacation!  

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

I gasped twice!  Isaac would be proud. First when Pete's hand disappeared and then of course when Isaac got pulled through the wall!  Our family lake cottage has a very similar basement to Woodstone's (way, way, way smaller but creepy, damp, low ceiling, stone walls).  I don't go down there often but when I do, I always wonder if I have basement ghosts, now I have to stay clear of the walls.

• Like 5
  • LOL 10

Ok, first, I hate cliffhangers. Hated them since "who shot JR?". I know Ghosts is coming back next season but I still hate them.

That being said.......Patience the feral puritan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like others have said, as soon as Flower mentioned her "friend" I knew Patience was gonna show up. Though how they did it was beyond expectations.

Glad Pete is back and I don't really care one way or another about carol so sticking her in the shed is fine.

And for anyone taking bets, I'm gonna guess Hetty is the first one to noticed Isaac is missing 😂

Not bad for a short season plus having two members of the cast pregnant.😎

• Like 17
2 hours ago, shura said:

Do people who have a serious food allergy just sample hors d'oeuvres without asking what’s in them beforehand? Just a thought. 

Also does nobody have an epi pen? First you'd think the striper would have one, being this deadly allergic. But as a hotel (that serves food), aren't Sam and Jay legally required to have one in a first aid kit? I'm not familiar with american laws, but that one seems pretty basic.

9 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Is Pete's disappearing act equivalent to getting sucked off?

It seems more like he'd cease to exist completely.

Better than going down on you, but worse than getting sucked off.

8 minutes ago, DanielleBowden said:

and then of course when Isaac got pulled through the wall! 

Saw that one coming from a mile away. I was just bewildered that the basement ghosts didn't. But then again, they don't watch that much TV as the upstairs ghosts, so wouldn't be genre savy.

• Like 5
  • Useful 2
7 hours ago, Skooma said:

The snobby snub from Nigel NOT inviting them to the wedding.  Basically he was saying they were mere peasants and yokels not worthy to attend the ceremony of such a high born person as himself.  Too crude to be seen upstairs.  A rather nasty Nigel there.  I'd be super pissed too.

And the way Nigel phased this snub was to include Isaac as agreeing with same so the basement ghosts would be pissed at him too.  Thus their "gift" to him at the end.

We don't know that the snub came only from Nigel.  It would be quite in character for Isaac, who in the past has shown nearly as much distaste for the basement ghosts as Hetty.  In fact, I'd bet he's more of a snob than Nigel because he's more insecure, and we know that snobbery and insecurity usually go hand in hand.  To me, it actually seems more uncharacteristic for Nigel, because he's generally prim and proper.  I'd assume he'd have thought it impolite to exclude them.  At the very least, breaking the news to Nancy the way he did was pretty unfeeling.  I'm sure if their exclusion was solely Nigel's idea and Isaac had a problem with it, he'd have said something.  Nigel's always seemed willing to compromise when it comes to making their relationship work.

I'm surprised they didn't at least invite Nancy.  After all, Nigel did invite her to his disastrous Welcome Tea, and she was the one giving him a tour of the mansion when they interrupted Hetty and Trevor in flagrante, so there's more of a relationship there.  Perhaps they felt they couldn't invite her without inviting all the others, but really, none of the upstairs ghosts have much to do with those in the basement except Nancy, and the cholera folks don't seem to be all that interested in mixing with those upstairs, so why would they expect to be invited?  I can understand Nancy feeling slighted but not so much the others.  I myself would have been torn between not wanting to be rude and hurt anyone's feelings, and the dismal prospect of celebrating my wedding in a beautifully decorated room with a bunch of ghosts with oozing sores clothed in filthy sacks. 

• Like 7
  • Useful 1

Oh wow at the end, cliffhanger!  Then the basement ghosts hiding the truth. 

I liked the wedding being cancelled and Jay's reaction. 

Nice Pete freaked out and came back home. Lol 

Shouldn't they have looked for an epi pen? If the stripper has such an allergy he should always have one.  Should have been the first thing anyone said.  

• Like 4
(edited)
12 hours ago, PurpleTentacle said:

Saw that one coming from a mile away. I was just bewildered that the basement ghosts didn't. But then again, they don't watch that much TV as the upstairs ghosts, so wouldn't be genre savy.

I figured Patience will show up but I was surprised she pulled Isaac into the wall. I thought he would turn around, get a jump scare, and the screen fade to black. I guess I watched too many horror movies unlike the basement ghosts since that's the cliche, LOL. But Patience probably figured that getting lost in the dirt is a fitting punishment/revenge since nothing she can do to him in the open air is as horrifying.

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Like 4
32 minutes ago, PaulE said:

We don't know that the snub came only from Nigel.  It would be quite in character for Isaac, who in the past has shown nearly as much distaste for the basement ghosts as Hetty.  In fact, I'd bet he's more of a snob than Nigel because he's more insecure, and we know that snobbery and insecurity usually go hand in hand.  To me, it actually seems more uncharacteristic for Nigel, because he's generally prim and proper.  I'd assume he'd have thought it impolite to exclude them.  At the very least, breaking the news to Nancy the way he did was pretty unfeeling.  I'm sure if their exclusion was solely Nigel's idea and Isaac had a problem with it, he'd have said something.  Nigel's always seemed willing to compromise when it comes to making their relationship work.

I'm surprised they didn't at least invite Nancy.  After all, Nigel did invite her to his disastrous Welcome Tea, and she was the one giving him a tour of the mansion when they interrupted Hetty and Trevor in flagrante, so there's more of a relationship there.  Perhaps they felt they couldn't invite her without inviting all the others, but really, none of the upstairs ghosts have much to do with those in the basement except Nancy, and the cholera folks don't seem to be all that interested in mixing with those upstairs, so why would they expect to be invited?  I can understand Nancy feeling slighted but not so much the others.  I myself would have been torn between not wanting to be rude and hurt anyone's feelings, and the dismal prospect of celebrating my wedding in a beautifully decorated room with a bunch of ghosts with oozing sores clothed in filthy sacks. 

Regarding the Basement Ghosts Snub and Nigel:
Consider that Nigel has been living in tool shed for centuries, and has only been invited into the Woodstone recently. Nigel likely sees his status as precarious; but I'm not clear on how he really thinks about it. 
Wasn't Nigel largely unimpressed with the Woodstone?
Do I have that right?
Or…?

• Like 1

I'm sort of glad Isaac and Nigel didn't get married in the end.  I like Nigel, but I think Isaac is a better character when paired up with the other regular ghosts.  Especially Hetty.  And Nigel took away from that. 

I thought it was weird that Pete would miss the wedding.  He didn't need to go to where ever that was to see his family, he could have traveled to where ever they lived in the US some other time.  So I'm glad they got him back in time, or at least in time to make it not happen.  I'm looking forward to Pete having little day trips around town, now that he knows the bus system.  Maybe Sam will buy him a bus pass so he doesn't feel guilty about not paying.  He was gone for at least 5 days, so that opens him up to a lot of travel possibilities.  If next season has a little time jump, I hope they include a "what I did on my summer vacation" montage for Pete.

Isaac... oh no!  I'll admit to not seeing that coming.  I have to assume he'll be found in 1 or 2 episodes, most likely by Nancy forgetting she wasn't supposed to say something.  I'm curious to see if Patience sticks around, who will play her, and if she'll reside in the basement.

This really is such a great show. 

• Like 10
  • Useful 1
9 hours ago, possibilities said:

I also didn't understand how Patience was with Flower in the well but not there for the rescue. Did she want to stay in the dirt?

Well, she is feral, so logic doesn't necessarily apply to her.

As for the rest, Isaac clearly wasn't ready for marriage.  As Hetty pointed out, it hasn't been that long since he accepted the truth about his orientation, so he's got a lot of things to figure out and that can't really happen while he's married.  Doesn't mean it might not happen eventually, but it was way too soon for him.

9 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I definitely agree there's still a few unresolved issues he's yet to work through about his life with her, and which will help him figure out some things when it comes to marrying Nigel. 

He absolutely needs to work through those issues before he gets married.

6 hours ago, PurpleTentacle said:

That basement seems not nearly deep enough to be on the same level as the bottom of the well. I mean it has windows and you usually don't build wells on top of hills.

She's been wandering in the dirt for a long time so maybe she's worked up a level or two.

3 hours ago, shura said:

“I’m here on vacation with my family.”  Are you sure, Pete?  Didn’t see you try to go to your family once.

I assumed he'd been there for awhile with his family before then.  We just didn't see it.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, PurpleTentacle said:

Also does nobody have an epi pen? First you'd think the striper would have one, being this deadly allergic. But as a hotel (that serves food), aren't Sam and Jay legally required to have one in a first aid kit? I'm not familiar with american laws, but that one seems pretty basic.

No, not legally required in the US.  Here's a link listing the various state laws permitting, but not requiring, public venues to have epinephrin injectors on hand.  Plus, in the US, you must have a prescription from your doctor in order to purchase epipens.  The general rule of thumb is that if you have allergies  you keep them witfh you.

Chris the stripper DJ should've had a pen with him, and not eaten something without verifying its ingredients, but that would've eliminated a hysterically funny scene, so I'll allow it.

Oops, forgot the link: https://www.foodallergy.org/our-initiatives/advocacy/know-your-rights/public-access-epinephrine

Edited by proserpina65
  • Like 4
  • Useful 2

I was glad that Carol admitted that Pete was good in bed, that probably explains why she didn't divorce him.

I didn't think Donna looked like Loni Anderson (or whoever they said), other than being pretty and blond. Her talk with Pete about staying seemed self serving.

Another cliffhanger, but at least we know who got pulled into the wall. I predict the first episode of next season will just be a conversation in a pitch black setting.

Thor and Flower don't deserve Nancy.

• Like 3

Oh snap, Patience the Puritan is here for revenge! I knew as soon as Flower started talking about the friend she made in the well that it was Patience, but then she dragged Isaac into the dirt with her, I thought they would wait until next season for her to show up! In honor of Isaac, I will let out a big "gasp!" of shock! I cant wait to see who they cast as Patience in the next season.

Nigel and Isaac really should have invited the Basement Ghosts to the wedding. "This isn't a great look for us." 

I'm sad that Isaac ended up saying no to marrying Nigel, especially after they pined away for each other for 300 years, but I can get why he isn't ready. I feel really bad for Nigel, getting dumped at the alter is bad enough, having to be trapped on a property with the person who dumped you is even worse. Although after Isaac gets back from the dirt, maybe he will decide to try again? Or at least take it slow? I feel like there is a good chance that they end up together at some point or another. 

Love Alberta still seeing At Last even after the wedding was called off, she is going to sing that song damn it! 

So now we know the limits of Pete's travel power, even if it was only for a bit I'm glad that he managed to have some fun with a nice ghost first. I loved Trevor's "Niiiice" expression when he said that he hooked up with a ghost who looks like Loni Anderson. 

I cant wait for next season.

• Like 10
10 hours ago, possibilities said:

Patience never fell into the well, per "Holes are Bad." She fell into some hole elsewhere on the property with Nigel, Sass and Thor. So she's been wandering aimlessly all this time - until she apparently heard Flower in the well. Possibly she was somewhere near the well at the time and was able to follow the sound of Flower's voice. Once there, knowing the property, she might have been able to orient herself in the direction of the house.

4 hours ago, Chit Chat said:

Maybe she heard Pete tell Flower which direction to go when he was instructing her to go through the dirt to the basement (before they rescued Flower).  

Or that.

I'm not sure how I feel about the show upping the creep factor. First the scary DealMart ghosts, now this faceless Puritan ghost grabbing Isaac through the wall. 

This episode wasn't as funny as the last few, but I understand they had a lot to do for a season finale, and there was definitely a lot going on.

33 minutes ago, appositival said:

I didn't think Donna looked like Loni Anderson (or whoever they said), other than being pretty and blond. Her talk with Pete about staying seemed self serving.

The hair was hysterical. The actress plays Ingrid on "Upload" (Amazon original series) so I was naturally inclined to be suspicious of her. I wondered whether or not she was trying to lure Pete to his demise for some nefarious reason. 

• Like 5
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Consider that Nigel has been living in tool shed for centuries, and has only been invited into the Woodstone recently. Nigel likely sees his status as precarious; but I'm not clear on how he really thinks about it. 
Wasn't Nigel largely unimpressed with the Woodstone?
Do I have that right?
Or…?

No, he likes it.  Remember when he was having problems tolerating Thor and Isaac was trying to find out what was wrong, Isaac asked if Nigel had a problem with where he lived, and Nigel replied that, on the contrary, he loved the mansion (and when he first moved in, he was immediately attracted to the "comfy sofa" in the library).  It's probably similar to what he grew up in, and he seems to have fairly refined tastes, so I'd guess it would be a relief to move into the Woodstone after having spent over two centuries in that tumbledown shed.

But you raise an important point about Nigel's place at the mansion.  His moving in and his closer interaction with the other ghosts resulted only from his burgeoning romantic relationship with Isaac.  He seems to get on with the others well enough, except for that brief skirmish with Hetty, and they seem to like him or at least not mind him, so I can't imagine anyone would be cruel enough to ask him to leave.  Yet the best thing for both him and Isaac would be for them to give each other space so that emotions can calm down--not that they should hate each other but simply spend some time apart.  It's going to be awkward being in such close and constant proximity, and for Nigel maybe even painful, because I still think he had no qualms about his own feelings and was ready to put his heart and soul into their relationship as a married couple.  But I agree with those who've said that Isaac simply wasn't ready, and I give him credit for calling off the wedding rather than going through with it only to to cause bitterness and recriminations later (perhaps leading to a ghost divorce?).

And can you imagine going back to the shed now that Carol's moved in (not to mention Jenkins would probably be gloating over the cancelled wedding)?  Ugh--talk about being in hell.  It'll be interesting to see what the writers do with Nigel.  He's become too prominent simply to drift away and not be mentioned (like that famous story about a character in one of the soaps who went upstairs to get ready for a skiing trip and was never seen or heard from again), yet his relevance has always been connected to his relationship with Isaac.  If they still want him to show up from time to time they're going to have to provide some new story lines, which I'd actually welcome, since I basically like him as a character.

• Like 6
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

She's been wandering in the dirt for a long time so maybe she's worked up a level or two.

But she visited flower in the well like a week ago.

Also the other ghosts thought flower walking to the basement from the well could be a solution.

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, PurpleTentacle said:

Also the other ghosts thought flower walking to the basement from the well could be a solution.

Maybe there's some rock that forms a sloping floor or steps buried in the dirt...

• Like 1

Please tell me that I'm not the only horrible, awful person who was hoping that stripper DJ Chris would die right there on the couch and become one of the permanent cast members on Ghosts? In only a couple of appearances, we've already learned quite a bit about his character. I like him a lot and would enjoy having him added to the cast. A Nigel/Isaac/Chris triangle would be gold.

About the limitations on Pete's ghost power: We need to know if it's the distance from or the length of time he's away from Woodstone that triggers the disappearance of his extremities. 

• Like 8
  • LOL 8
3 hours ago, appositival said:

I was glad that Carol admitted that Pete was good in bed, that probably explains why she didn't divorce him.

Another cliffhanger, but at least we know who got pulled into the wall. I predict the first episode of next season will just be a conversation in a pitch black setting.

Thor and Flower don't deserve Nancy.

Pete was good in bed? I thought he told Sam they didn't have sex on their wedding night.

• Like 1

OMG! I loved Sam's reply when she told Jay that Baxter and Carol were getting married. He replied, "Who is Baxter?" to which she stated, "He is very peripheral and really does not matter." Too funny! It's kind of like all the basement ghosts. I also liked Pete's "good luck buddy" when their marriage was announced. So many fun lines along with all the drama. I just love this SHOW.

But WOW, that ending finally put the fright back into a show about ghosts! 😮

• Like 10

I really think despite their similar historical backgrounds, Isaac and Nigel are not that compatible.  Nigel has a Niles Crane vibe and dreams about cream tea. Isaac needs someone who will challenge and excite him.  Their relationship so far reminds me of an old married couple, already settled.  Unless Nigel broadens his scope a bit (like inviting the cholera ghosts to a wedding), I don’t anticipate a rekindling of their relationship.

• Like 7
13 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Thor and Flower seemed pretty eager to go upstairs with the others instead of stayi in the basement with them.

I thought that out of character of Flower.  When she supposedly got sucked off, the basement ghosts said she would come down and visit with them, she treated them like people.  Nancy, specifically, is part of their throuple.  Flower is all about equality and fairness, so it didn't make sense for her to switch gears to go along with Thor's ruse.

8 hours ago, shura said:

To be fair, no one is expecting crab stock in guacamole!

• Like 8
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, PurpleTentacle said:

Doesn't mean she couldn't have walked more upwards in that time.

1 hour ago, ProudMary said:

About the limitations on Pete's ghost power: We need to know if it's the distance from or the length of time he's away from Woodstone that triggers the disappearance of his extremities. 

Seemed to me he'd been at the resort for at least a few days, so I think it's the length of time more than the distance, but maybe we'll learn more next season.

9 minutes ago, Bastet said:

To be fair, no one is expecting crab stock in guacamole!

Was that what it was in?  I missed the exact item.  Wow, yeah, nobody would expect that, nor should they.  Guac should be avocado, olive oil, salt, lemon or lime and peppers.  Nothing else.  Certainly not nasty crab.

• Like 6
6 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Was that what it was in?  I missed the exact item. 

Yep.  Once he had a reaction, Stripper DJ asked Jay if there was crab in it.  Jay said yes, more precisely crab stock, as he finds a splash of it adds to the umami flavor of the guacamole.

It's hard to believe a chef could see the symptoms that guy was experiencing, hear him ask if the dish has crab in it, and NOT have the light bulb go on that this was an allergic reaction happening.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, PaulE said:

Yet the best thing for both him and Isaac would be for them to give each other space so that emotions can calm down--not that they should hate each other but simply spend some time apart.  It's going to be awkward being in such close and constant proximity, and for Nigel maybe even painful

Well, depending on the Puritan ghost’s intentions, that might not be a problem for the foreseeable future.

2 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Please tell me that I'm not the only horrible, awful person who was hoping that stripper DJ Chris would die right there on the couch and become one of the permanent cast members on Ghosts? In only a couple of appearances, we've already learned quite a bit about his character

Ah, right, the character…. But seriously, they did flesh him out (I swear, no pun intended) quite a bit.  Dinosaurs, history buff, no smell, boyfriend, even allergies.

2 hours ago, ProudMary said:

A Nigel/Isaac/Chris triangle would be gold.

Like a throuple?

37 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Yep.  Once he had a reaction, Stripper DJ asked Jay if there was crab in it.  Jay said yes, more precisely crab stock, as he finds a splash of it adds to the umami flavor of the guacamole.

It's hard to believe a chef could see the symptoms that guy was experiencing, hear him ask if the dish has crab in it, and NOT have the light bulb go on that this was an allergic reaction happening.

Ah, I did not catch that it was guacamole either.  What kind of chef uses an allergen where you wouldn’t expect it and does not warn people?  Jay is going to kill someone with that.

• Like 4

I didn't enjoy the episode as much as others. I chuckled a couple times but that was it. A lot happened, maybe that was the problem for me, none of the many plots really had a chance to breathe. And I do NOT want anybody else dying at the B&B, their guest bookings are slim already. The writers have established other ways for new ghosts to show up besides dying there (cars, poltergeists) so I'd rather see that. We don't even know if ghost powers are duplicated so there could be others who also aren't bound to a place like Pete, and they show up there. The ghost could even be more familiar with the power and is able to answer questions for Pete and us too. 

I was really hoping we'd see the grand opening of the restaurant. After The Owl episode, it just kinda got dropped. I agree that it felt out of character for Flower to ditch the basement ghosts. I feel like she would have been trying to talk to Isaac and Nigel about why they should be included, like they shouldnt start their marriage on a negative note because it was hurtful to the basement ghosts, it's not costing them anything extra because nothing is actually real, etc. The ending of the throuple was rushed as well. 

Unless the actor who plays Isaac will be out at the beginning of filming next season, I can't see Isaac gone more than half an episode. Because they're gonna want us to see Patience and her showdown with Isaac, and they can't film that through the dirt. 🤷🏽‍♀️

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
4 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Maybe there's some rock that forms a sloping floor or steps buried in the dirt...

We don't know how level the property is. It's possible the well was dug on higher ground than where the manor stands so the bottom of the well could easily be more or less the same depth as the basement.

2 hours ago, Bastet said:

I thought that out of character of Flower.  When she supposedly got sucked off, the basement ghosts said she would come down and visit with them, she treated them like people.  Nancy, specifically, is part of their throuple.  Flower is all about equality and fairness, so it didn't make sense for her to switch gears to go along with Thor's ruse.

I think Flower just really wanted to go to the wedding. Just because she's been nice to the basement ghosts doesn't mean she wouldn't be torn about not attending Isaac's wedding.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

I called it!  Patience the Feral Puritan showed up.  (Although I guess the DJ/Stripper also counts as a surprise guest)  So she came and went to visit Flower.  I guess she could hear Flower screaming if she wandered close enough.  I can see why she came and went, after wandering through the dirt for 130 years, why not take another shot?  Maybe she was able to Orient herself better and find the manor.  I can also see Flower telling her about Isaac's upcoming wedding (what else is she gonna do at the bottom of the well?), and I can see that giving Patience motivation to go back and take some kind of revenge on Isaac.  Although next season I hope we get a flashback of Isaac, Thor, Sassapis and Patience in the hole.

I do kinda wonder if all Floor is the same level without steps, if so could they walk through the dirt from the well into the basement?  Or depending on when the well was built compared to the manor, the water table could have changed, so the depths would match, maybe?

Pete's story was interesting, and it's so cool how they tied it into Isaac.  Pete met someone who excited him and made him feel for lack of a better world "alive", and his story drove home to Isaac how Nigel did not make him feel that way.  I could see Isaac and Nigel eventually finding their way back to each other, but I think they need to both grow first.  And he could start by not being such a jerk to Sass every chance he got.  And of course, being nicer to the basement ghosts.

I personally like Thor and Flower, and I like that they admitted their love for each other.  I can see Thor not wanting to miss the wedding or stay with the basement ghosts and Flower chose to be with Thor (and I noticed they compromised by sitting in the middle).  And I also liked how they didn't want to get married then and there out of respect to Isaac.  Then comes Carol and Baxter.  As for Carol, I don't want to see her get sucked off before Pete, so I'm fine with her becoming one of the background ghosts like Crash.  We can hear about her occasionally and see her in an episode or two, but that's it.

I can't wait to see where we go next season.

• Like 10
21 minutes ago, Badsamaritan said:

I was really hoping we'd see the grand opening of the restaurant. After The Owl episode, it just kinda got dropped. 

Eh, it takes some time for a restaurant to get up and going, and they're still working on getting it built. If this had been a full 20 plus episode season, we probably would've gotten that, but with the shorter season,  it makes sense they're not at that point yet. I think that'll be something we'll see next sesaon.

2 hours ago, Phebemarie said:

I really think despite their similar historical backgrounds, Isaac and Nigel are not that compatible.  Nigel has a Niles Crane vibe and dreams about cream tea. Isaac needs someone who will challenge and excite him.  Their relationship so far reminds me of an old married couple, already settled.  Unless Nigel broadens his scope a bit (like inviting the cholera ghosts to a wedding), I don’t anticipate a rekindling of their relationship.

And see, I think NIgel does challenge and excite Isaac. There's a reason they're always constantly debating about this and that - Isaac loves a good debate, he was in politics and was also a lawyer, so I think he likes that, in Nigel, he has someone with whom he can have those kinds of passionate debates. And I think the fact that Nigel does have a little more experience and history relationship-wise compared to Isaac makes for an interesting challenge for Isaac, too, given his own lack of experience. We saw how flustered he often got by Nigel in the early days of their interactions, before they got together, and I think he likes that Nigel can kinda throw him off balance like that sometimes. And I think Nigel likes being able to do that to him in turn :D. Beside that, Isaac is often such an excitable, awkward, nervous ball of energy. I think Nigel's more patient, proper, reserved personality is a good counterpart to that. They balance each other out in that way, and I think that's a large part of why they're good together. 

I do agree that there have been times in their relationship where they did give off that "comfortably settled" vibe, but I also think there's still so much they've yet to learn and explore about and with each other, even after knowing each other for two centuries, and I can see them still finding new things to experience even after they get married, whenever that might be. 

But yeah, as noted above, man, poor Nigel really is in kind of an uncomfortable spot at the moment. The shed's getting awful crowded, with Carol there and hooking up with Baxter, and he can either stay there with his ex-boyfriend, Jenkins, or he can stay in the mansion with his ex-fiance, Isaac. So...oof. But that's also part of why I think they'll figure things out with Isaac and Nigel, because that would be a tough limbo to leave him in for too long a time without making a decision one way or another. 

In the meantime, though, I do agree that this would be a great opportunity to flesh out and explore Nigel as an individual character further, and to see him interact with the ghosts in general, so yeah, I hope we do get some of that. I would love to learn more about him as a person, what his life was like before he came here, and to see more of his perspective on his history with Isaac as well.

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

Woah. I just had a thought. What if they cast one of the UK cast as Patience? 

You probably are thinking of the one who played Mary I bet.  Same time period and Mary, though innocent, was even burned like a witch.  Something Puritans did themselves.

1 hour ago, shura said:

Ah, I did not catch that it was guacamole either.  What kind of chef uses an allergen where you wouldn’t expect it and does not warn people?  Jay is going to kill someone with that.

He was preparing the food for ghosts to smell.  Not for people to eat.

43 minutes ago, Badsamaritan said:

I agree that it felt out of character for Flower to ditch the basement ghosts.

Eh, Flower is a tad forgetful of what happens a few seconds previously.  She was off to stick it to the man on their behalf then forgot why she was up there and then remembered there was a nice wedding to attend.

• Like 11
(edited)
1 hour ago, shura said:

What kind of chef uses an allergen where you wouldn’t expect it and does not warn people?  Jay is going to kill someone with that.

I'd say a chef that was cooking for himself and his wife, neither of whom apparently have crab allergies.  It's not like Jay was making a meal for actual wedding guests.  Any food there was for him and Sam.  He offered food to Chris only because they were trying to get more info out of him. 

Edited to add... @skooma and I were apparently typing away at the same time!  😁

Edited by chaifan
  • Like 5
  • Useful 1
10 minutes ago, Skooma said:

Something Puritans did themselves.

The convicted "witches" in Salem were hanged, not burned (except Giles Corey who was pressed to death with heavy stones).

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
16 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I just love how vivid Isaac's dreams always seem to be.

Can Sass get into his dreams? Would he reveal to the others what they were about?

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
11 minutes ago, chaifan said:

I'd say a chef that was cooking for himself and his wife, neither of whom apparently have crab allergies.  It's not like Jay was making a meal for actual wedding guests.  Any food there was for him and Sam.  He offered food to Chris only because they were trying to get more info out of him. 

Edited to add... @skooma and I were apparently typing away at the same time!  😁

Well, he invited a real person to DJ though.  Gotta be careful.

1 hour ago, Badsamaritan said:

she would have been trying to talk to Isaac and Nigel about why they should be included, like they shouldnt start their marriage on a negative note because it was hurtful to the basement ghosts, it's not costing them anything extra because nothing is actually real, etc.

Now there’s a thought for someone’s wedding!

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
Just now, eel2178 said:

Can Sass get into his dreams? Would he reveal to the others what they were about?

We have no idea if Sasappis' power would work on Isaac or the other ghosts (though it does make the fact that Isaac opened up to Sasappis, of all the ghosts, about his dreams in this episode all the more interesting and appropriate), but that question does bring up something I've always been curious about and would love to see the show explore - what would happen if one of the ghosts used their power on another ghost? Would it make either ghost's power stronger? Weaker? Would it make for some kind of weird melding situation? That could make for some potentially intriguing ghost lore and be a really fun thing for the show to play with. 

• Like 1
(edited)
10 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

The convicted "witches" in Salem were hanged, not burned (except Giles Corey who was pressed to death with heavy stones).

Thanks but I just meant that Puritans had put suspected witches to death.  Didn't think to match details about Mary's but fair enough. 

Just thought it would be interesting if Patience's death involved the same charges and the same actress could play both ghosts as a nice shout-out to fans of both series.  They already had the Thomas ghost guest star in an episode over here albeit as a "living" this time.

Edited by Skooma
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1
7 minutes ago, eel2178 said:

Can Sass get into his dreams?

When Sass described his power, he said "livings" not "people" so it sounds like he cannot do with to other ghosts, just livings.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
14 minutes ago, Skooma said:

Thanks but I just meant that Puritans had put suspected witches to death.  Didn't think to match details about Mary's but fair enough. 

Ah, okay, I read it as burning at the stake specifically. That was more of a European Catholic heretic thing, I think. But, yes, the Puritans did indeed execute people for witchcraft.

I only saw the first couple episodes of the British version when they were running it last year (or earlier this year?). I couldn't get into it for some reason.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Badsamaritan said:

A lot happened, maybe that was the problem for me, none of the many plots really had a chance to breathe.

That's how I feel.  There was a lot going on!  I could've watched a whole episode about Pete's vacation adventure!!  The ghost grabbing Isaac freaked me out a little bit!  

• Like 4
30 minutes ago, Chit Chat said:

The ghost grabbing Isaac freaked me out a little bit!  

I loved the way they introduced Patience, wihere we didn't see her face, just her standing there, head down, her hat so prominent. For a show that isn't known for being creepy, it's kinda fun and interesting seeing them lean into that a bit here and there.

I remember there was an interview once with Brandon Scott Jones where he talked about how fun it'd be for the ghosts to deal with a ghost that was actually genuinely scary and there to cause some kind of danger/trouble. Well, it looks like he (and his character, for that matter :p) is about to get his wish :D!

• Like 9

"How is anyone gonna dance a quadrille to this?" - This is why Hetty's my favourite ghost, and Rebecca Wisocky's delivery is on point.

Regarding  the Patience issue - it seemed to me that Patience was attracted to the house by the vibrations of the DJ's set, and she possibly didn't stay with Flower in the well because she didn't see any point in it. She's been roaming the ground for over a century, she probably figured nobody'd find Flower there anyway and she could always find her way back by Flower's screaming if she felt like company, so she wasn't present when rescue came.

Donna's reaction when Peter said his hand had disappeared before she realised it had actually disappeared cracked me up - you can see her being taken aback by the weird addition to the roleplay scenario and then rallying and going along with it. "Did a piranha get it?"

I thought Thor and Flower lying to Nancy and ditching her to go join the wedding was rather cruel, though as somebody upstream noted Flower possibly just forgot about it.

• Like 11
  • Useful 1

The Puritan ghost's name Patience disappoints me a bit, since it would not be a particularly unusual name now. Puritans often named babies for what they considered virtues; girls' names included Silence and Obedience. The writers could at least have named her Prudence.

• Useful 1
17 hours ago, Bastet said:

When Sass described his power, he said "livings" not "people" so it sounds like he cannot do with to other ghosts, just livings.

Also, the reason he was able to influence Jay was because Jay didn't know who he was. As soon as he figured out who he was it stopped working. The ghosts would recognize him immediately.

15 hours ago, silverstream said:

Regarding  the Patience issue - it seemed to me that Patience was attracted to the house by the vibrations of the DJ's set

Hey, that's a real possibility. Although the music was pretty loud during the Halloween party too, but maybe she was further away at the time. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
On 5/2/2024 at 8:22 PM, phalange said:

“Who’s Baxter?”
 “He’s very peripheral, it doesn’t matter.” Lmao.

And from Browncoat:"I think she said, "He's peripheral."

Thank you Browncoat and phalange for filling in what Sam was telling Jay.  I rewatched the episode last night, and your comments helped me figure it out without replaying it a couple of times.  But I'll blame it on my ears rather than Sam's mumbled whisper.  😉

• Like 4