Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E10: Isaac’s Wedding

• Start Topic

“Isaac’s Wedding” – Isaac’s wedding day jitters are exacerbated by the arrival of a surprise guest. Season Finale May 2

WRITTEN BY: Lauren Bridges and John Timothy

DIRECTED BY: Christine Gernon

image.jpeg.39db93fc25dee3416845be9a8ba1c6cd.jpeg

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Oooooooh, I have a sneaking suspicion as to who the surprise guest might be. Hmmm. 

His wife?

• Like 3

Yep. Either she'll show up or there'll be some flashback to when he married her or something of that sort, as a compare/contrast sort of thing. 

11 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Yep. Either she'll show up or there'll be some flashback to when he married her or something of that sort, as a compare/contrast sort of thing. 

It would be nice if she could come down for the wedding and give them her blessing so that Isaac would know she truly forgave him and wants to see him happy.

• Like 4
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, PaulE said:

It would be nice if she could come down for the wedding and give them her blessing so that Isaac would know she truly forgave him and wants to see him happy.

That's what I'm theorizing might happen. I know he got some reassurance in the Christmas episode, when he learned she'd come to be with him in his final moments, but yeah, I think they deserve a chance to have a proper parting of the ways and a chance to say any remaining things to each other they were never able to say because of Isaac's untimely death and all that. That'd be a really nice moment to see. 

It'd also be a kick for her and Nigel to meet each other, see what they think of each other and how they could bond over their respective histories with Isaac and whatnot :D. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Interesting that Pete, who presumably arrives late, as he's not seen in wedding clips that seem to be set earlier in the ceremony, is seated on Nigel's side, in the back.  Has he been banished by Isaac?

Of course Alberta sings like she's on stage; perfect.  I also love her pointing out a lot of the vow language doesn't apply to two dead people.

• Like 5
7 hours ago, Neptune said:

Are the DJ and the Dino stripper the same guy?

I can't tell from that brief clip - where Nigel perpetuates the ridiculous fiction Isaac actually has money, let alone that he and Nigel are entitled to demand Sam and Jay spend it on such nonsense - as all I can see is dark hair and mustache, but that would make sense, in terms of Dinosaur Stripper Dude saying the money is all he needs to explain apparently stripping for one person and now that same guy being asked to roll with apparently playing that funky music for just two people; Sam and Jay can play it off as a rehearsal, if it's the same guy.

• Like 1

You know, that preview clip above really got me to thinking.  Nigel is so utterly certain about this wedding and their future together that I can't blame Isaac for getting cold feet--I think I'd be getting a case of the jitters if I were him.  I mean, if they were both nervous then they'd on an equal level, and each could reassure the other, but to see this guy you love absolutely brimming with confidence and optimism--and innocently trusting that you feel exactly the same--would scare the hell out of me because I'd be so afraid I'd fail him somehow, or that deep down I didn't really love him as much as he loved me.  Even without the addition of the stripper fantasies, it'd be a daunting prospect.  Whatever happens at the wedding, I really do hope the writers give those two a happy season finale and not a clliffhanger.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, PaulE said:

You know, that preview clip above really got me to thinking.  Nigel is so utterly certain about this wedding and their future together that I can't blame Isaac for getting cold feet--I think I'd be getting a case of the jitters if I were him.  I mean, if they were both nervous then they'd on an equal level, and each could reassure the other, but to see this guy you love absolutely brimming with confidence and optimism--and innocently trusting that you feel exactly the same--would scare the hell out of me because I'd be so afraid I'd fail him somehow, or that deep down I didn't really love him as much as he loved me.  Even without the addition of the stripper fantasies, it'd be a daunting prospect.  Whatever happens at the wedding, I really do hope the writers give those two a happy season finale and not a clliffhanger.

I honestly think they are both clearly very nervous. Nigel's just figured out how to hide it better, is all :p. But I think his absolute certainty/confidence is quite telling in its own way, regarding how nervous he might actually be deep down. 

But yeah, I definitely agree that i can see where his certainty and confidence would intimidate Isaac a little. Especially if Isaaci s so caught up in his own nerves that he doesn't stop to realize or think about the fact that Nigel might actually feel the same way. I defintely agree that his lack of romantic experience in this arena and fear of failing Nigel are the biggest reasons why he's so anxious. Hopefully he and Nigel will manage to talk this stuff out at some point - once htey realize they are on the same page with their concerns, or at least acknowledge that they are both nervous, just perhaps for different reasons, that will certainly help. 

But yeah, whatever happens, I too just reallly hope they'll figure it out and work through it, so that they can go ahead and be properly happy together. I think they will, though :). They've managed to get through all the other bumpy aspects of their relationship thus far, so I think they'll be able to sort this out, too. 

I like the pictures up above. That last one of Isaac and Nigel is cute, and I love how similar Isaac and Hetty's reactions are in the first one, LOL :D. 

• Like 1

Could be, though I haven't really caught that vibe from Nigel.  But even if he is nervous, I don't think it's about himself.  I think he's perfectly certain about his feelings for Isaac but could be worried about Isaac's feelings for him, whereas Isaac is worried about his own feelings, not Nigel's, so there's a difference there.  At least, that's how I'm seeing it.  But, yes, it would be nice if all that gets resolved once they're standing up there taking their vows, and, like you, I think it will be (also, portions of the fan base might riot if this relationship goes south at the last minute!).

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
9 hours ago, PaulE said:

Could be, though I haven't really caught that vibe from Nigel.  But even if he is nervous, I don't think it's about himself.  I think he's perfectly certain about his feelings for Isaac but could be worried about Isaac's feelings for him, whereas Isaac is worried about his own feelings, not Nigel's, so there's a difference there.  At least, that's how I'm seeing it.  

That makes sense. I could see that. It would be an interesting twist if here we were led to believe Isaac's cold feet would cause issues on their wedding day, only to find out Nigel's the one whose worries wind up getting the better of him. I do think there could be some good stuff to explore with that, give us a little more insight into Nigel's perspective on things.

But, yes, it would be nice if all that gets resolved once they're standing up there taking their vows, and, like you, I think it will be (also, portions of the fan base might riot if this relationship goes south at the last minute!).

LOL, oh, for sure. I do think there's going to be some kind of chaos for these two, for sure, but yeah, whatever it is, I do think it will be something they can ultimately work out and resolve in the end :). Just another hurdle for them to go through, basically :p. 

• Like 1
(edited)

Disappointed that many of the videos are unavailable to me.   Someone doesn't like Canadians?!  😆😉 J/K

There have been thoughts that Isaac's former wife or the feral Patience turn up.  Either would be okay, but I just hope it's not Elias.  Oh what the heck, maybe the ghost of Alexander Hamilton shows up and gives his blessing for the happy couple's union!  

Edited by BMGepinniw
Got the feral ghost's name wrong. Thought I'd correct it, as she's a mean little one! ;-)
  • Like 4
  • LOL 5

What was Sam's response to "who's Baxter?" I couldn't tell what she said.

I'd call it a cliffhanger but Isaac being dragged into the earth is kind of the opposite...

• Like 7
  • LOL 11

I'm disappointed about the wedding. 

We knew Patience would show up someday but that ending....Yowza! Hopefully Nigel and Isaac get back together next season. Maybe Nigel saves him and they fall in love all over again.

• Like 6

Lots of stuff happening. Isaac called the wedding off, which I didn’t expect, Patience showed up and grabbed Isaac, Thor told Flower he didn’t want to be in a throuple and want to get married, the stripper was back and almost died and Pete’s back after a fling and almost disappearing. It was mostly a fun episode and an unexpected ending

• Like 9
  • Love 3

Now that’s a finale!

I do feel bad for Nigel, but it did always seem like he was more committed to the relationship than Isaac was. At least Isaac was honest with himself and Nigel about what he needs, and there’s always a chance they’ll get back together one day. Actual lol at Alberta still singing “At Last.” She’s gonna sing, successful wedding or no. 

So there are limitations to Pete’s ghost power. He can venture away from the mansion but not for too long or he starts disintegrating. He did have a nice time on vacation though, and even met someone. Good for you, Pete.

Aww, I’m so happy that Thor admitted to Flower that he just wants to be with her and they both said “I love you.” Way to be brave you two. ❤️

Carol and Baxter are getting married? Sure, why not. 
“Who’s Baxter?”
 “He’s very peripheral, it doesn’t matter.” Lmao.

Isaac and Nigel definitely fucked up not inviting the basement ghosts to the wedding cause now Isaac is going to feel Patience’s wrath. I love that the basement ghosts just decide not to tell anyone that Patience kidnapped Isaac into the dirt. 

• Like 19
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

Oh, wow, I really didn't think Isaac wouldn't go through with the wedding.  I'm very sad about that, though I guess it provides material for next season to explore whether they get back together.  Clearly I was wrong about the writers not daring to sabotage this relationship!  I felt so sorry for Nigel.  In fact, I think it seems a little unrealistic for him to be so understanding with Isaac (at least, that's what Isaac said) this soon.  He must be hurt, embarrassed, and disappointed, and I'd imagine it would take a little while for him to come around.  What makes it even worse is that he's now living in the house in close proximity to Isaac.  I mean, he can't go back to the shed and spend his days watching Carol and Baxter get it on.  But I'm not giving up on the Nisaac relationship yet.

Baxter finally speaks!  Although it's been a long time since he's appeared (except for the bachelor party) and he's now played by a different actor, I noticed they remembered to include the bayonet sticking out of his chest.  Hope he doesn't end up regretting his wedding.

Interesting twist on Pete's power.  And congrats to those who predicted Patience would be the unexpected intruder.

• Like 7

So Flower could have got to the cellar eventually with Patience.  Maybe Pete's ex wife will be sucked off after she gets married.  We know this took place during basketball season when it was beach season in New York.

• Like 6
1 minute ago, Snow Apple said:

I forgot to say in my above post that the stripper's dinosaur clicks are still awesome and hilarious. 

I love him and I am so glad the show brought him back like this :D. I loved all the running jokes about his abs - Hetty and Alberta scurrying off to see him with his shirt cut open made me laugh XD. 

18 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

I'm disappointed about the wedding. 

We knew Patience would show up someday but that ending....Yowza! Hopefully Nigel and Isaac get back together next season. Maybe Nigel saves him and they fall in love all over again.

Oh, I think they will, and I am VERY much hoping that we do get to see some of Nigel freaking out about Isaac going missing and doing his part to try and get him back. I think that'd be an excellent way to get more of his perspective on his feelings for Isaac and thier history together, and plus, I just really like the idea of him coming to save Isaac in and of itself :D. 

But WOW, yeah, that is a hell of a note to end on, for sure! When Flower mentioned her friend she talked to while in the well, I was like, "Oh, no..." and then that ending...my gasp would've made Isaac proud, LOL. I am VERY curious to see what the hell this means for Isaac, what Patience will do with/to him, and what he'l lbe like when he gets back, and in what ways he'll have changed. 

As for Isaac and Nigel, I mean, I'm not gonna deny that I was sad to see Isaac walk out on their wedding as he did, but I also figured that their wedding woud get postponed for one reason or another, so I'm also not all that surprised. I get why Isaac did what he did. I do think they both need to figure out and sort out a few more things about themselves and their relationship before they officially get married. That, and I think the show wants to make sure that when their wedding does actually happen ,it's during a regular season, when they can give it more of the time and attention it deserves, lIke an hour long episode or something :D. And if that's the case, then yeah, I'm fine with that, I can wait a little longer to see them tie the knot. So long as they ultimately do get married someday, I'll be happy. 

I'm also kind of surprised the throuple thing ended as quickly as it began, I would've liked to see the show play with that a little longer. I legit thought Thor was going to propose to Flower right then and there, but I am glad he realized that that might not have been the right time and place to do such a thing. If only Carol and Baxter had that same realization :p. 

As for Pete, ooooooooh, that's an intriguing...and very creepy...limitation to his power, but I LIKE that. The longer he stayed with Donna the more I started to wonder if perhaps she was somehow aiding in him losing parts of his body, which would be spooky. But nah, I think that's just the limitation he has, and now he knows that, then that'll help make it easier for him to figure out any future travel plans :p. 

Okay! So. That was a hell of a note to end on - I can safely say all my predictions did not include THAT ending scene. Guess we'll find out where they go from here come fall - see you all for season four, everyone!

• Like 10

Maybe Pete could go see his girlfriend once a week or so, and only stay as long as he can before parts of him disappear.  He gets free airfare, after all. 

• Like 11
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Jodithgrace said:

Maybe Pete could go see his girlfriend once a week or so, and only stay as long as he can before parts of him disappear.  He gets free airfare, after all. 

But if planes back are cancelled due to storms, it might be too late.  I think he has to decrease his radius of travel and have a back up method of return.  She was really cute, though.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Like 8
  • Sad 2

Aaaaaah, Patience! I thought they might keep her in their pocket for a while longer but hey, it's a great cliffhanger. Homegirl finally made it back to the house after over a century of wandering and went right back in the dirt for some sweet revenge. Love that for her.

• Like 10
(edited)
51 minutes ago, incandescent said:

Aaaaaah, Patience! I thought they might keep her in their pocket for a while longer but hey, it's a great cliffhanger. Homegirl finally made it back to the house after over a century of wandering and went right back in the dirt for some sweet revenge. Love that for her.

Or she's just been hanging out in the dirt, in the dark, until she heard Flower calling out.  Because if she had known how to get out of the dirt, she could have taken Flower with her.

1 hour ago, Jodithgrace said:

He probably doesn't want to risk losing his genitalia again.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Like 4
  • LOL 7

Great ending.  I usually don't like cliff hangers but since it involves Patience, the feral Puritan, then I am okay with it.  They kept her face hidden even in this show so we don't know what she will look like until next fall.  What a tease for Season 4.

And so much was put into this episode it was action non-stop.  Thanks to all the cast, crew and writers for this short but fantastic season.  Keep up the good work!

• Like 16
  • Applause 2
(edited)
7 minutes ago, Skooma said:

Great ending.  I usually don't like cliff hangers but since it involves Patience, the feral Puritan, then I am okay with it.  They kept her face hidden even in this show so we don't know what she will look like until next fall.  What a tease for Season 4.

Yes, I wonder if they will cast a well-known actor if it's a limited role.  There must be actors eager to appear on the show.

I also wonder if her manner of death will correspond to Mary's from the UK version of the show (she wasn't a Puritan, or feral, but similar time period.)  Anyone who wants to find out what that was can look at the Ghosts UK Wikipedia article.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Like 3

I am curious to see who they cast for Patience. 

This was a fun episode.  I'm happy to see the stripper again.  And I'll go against the grain. I felt the Nigel and Isaac breakup wasn't just well done but it felt pretty final.  If they revisit them, I don't see it happening again for a few seasons.

Personally, I'll be okay if it's the end of them.  I kind of feel like they've mined everything they can mine from them.  Ironically, the stripper storyline that showed Isaac what he was missing ended up showing to me that I think something is missing comedically between Nigel and Isaac at this stage of their relationship. 

• Like 18
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1

Ugh on Flower and Thor, as always, but I enjoyed the rest of this (that which I saw, anyway, I wound up watching this via the CBS app rather than my satellite dish and, as is not uncommon, it decided to be an asshole a couple of brief times; I’ll watch properly on Paramount+ this weekend <grrr>). 

Good on Isaac calling off a wedding that was, as odd as this sounds for two ghosts who’ve been knocking about for this long, far too soon if it ever should happen at all.  They can always reconnect him and Nigel in the future, but they don’t tie him down now.  Good writing choice.

Having decided to ignore her first episode and establish Carol as an unfeeling loon, her marrying Baxter is also a good writing choice, as she doesn’t need to be sucked off to explain why we only ever see her occasionally yet allowing us to indeed see her occasionally for laughs.

Puritan Patience’s revenge, combined with that of the basement ghosts not knowing it was coming but choosing not to tell about it, ha!  I look forward to seeing how Isaac gets out of it.  I was sure they’d revisit her horrible fate, but didn’t know it would come this soon until Flower mentioned someone talking to her in the well. 

Even though I’d already seen it, Isaac’s dream about the dinosaur-loving stripper made me laugh again.  As did Isaac learning the stripper had been born without a sense of smell and his later glee at the possibility of Chris (?) becoming a ghost.  (Also Hetty and Alberta going down to view his chest upon learning EMTs were doing compression; stripper dude does absolutely nothing for me clothed, but that is a nice set of abs.)

I also enjoyed the return of “We were on a respite!” and the stripper/DJ so thoroughly rolling with these bizarrely empty rooms for his Woodstone gigs.

Same with the return of Sass’s insistence he had sex 43 times and it’s not at all fake to know the specific number. 

Least successful season so far, but still a good watch and a solid finale; I'm looking forward to season four.

• Like 9
(edited)

No one has mentioned Jay's "Oh, my god".  Sam sees to say it in almost every episode.  Such a small moment, but so much fun.

Edited by Phebemarie
  • Like 8

I think they could have mined plenty from Nigel and Isaac together. How about Isaac having his sexual awakening with his husband? Somehow other shows manage to write both comedy and drama about married couples, but this show couldn't do it? 

I also didn't understand how Patience was with Flower in the well but not there for the rescue. Did she want to stay in the dirt?

• Like 5
  • Applause 2

I didn't like this episode as much as the last two. I'm not surprised Isaac was reluctant to get married they barely know each other. I also think he feels guilty about his marriage to Beatrice. I liked the Pete subplot and hated the downside to his power. What's the point of having an awesome power if you can't use it? I hope they don't add Patience to the cast we already have Carol who is useless. I don't understand why the basement ghosts were so angry with the upstairs ghosts. Nancy never spent time with Isaac and Nigel and Flower and Pete were nice to them.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Even though I’d already seen it, Isaac’s dream about the dinosaur-loving stripper made me laugh again.  As did Isaac learning the stripper had been born without a sense of smell and his later glee at the possibility of Chris (?) becoming a ghost.  

I just love how vivid Isaac's dreams always seem to be. There was that one from the Christmas episode, where Ben Franklin showed up and was mocking him alongside Beatrice, and now he's got this dream of the dino stripper crashing the wedding to entice him away with his sexy abs and they click at each other the whole time* XD. What even is going on in your head, Isaac, LOL. 

And god, yeah, the way that they kept revealing al the things that made Chris so perfect on paper for Isaac was hysterical. My favorite was Chris ranting about Hamilton, naturally :D. I also liked that scene because it was a great way for Isaac to learn that just because someone seems perfet for you on paper, that doesn't mean they're going to be the right person for you in reality. 

21 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I think they could have mined plenty from Nigel and Isaac together. How about Isaac having his sexual awakening with his husband? Somehow other shows manage to write both comedy and drama about married couples, but this show couldn't do it? 

This. There's plenty they could do with those two as a married couple, and I hope, if and when they do eventually get married, we get to see some of that. I feel like a lot of that will also depend on whether or not Nigel stays a recurring character or eventually becomes a main one, and that's a tough call, 'cause on the one hand, if he and Isaac are destined to be together, then it would make sense to have him have more of a regular presence on the show, but on the other hand, they've got so many characters to juggle as it is, so..

But yeah, there's lots of good stories they can tell with them. What is married life, so to speak, like for a ghost couple who has literally all of eternity to be together? That's a novel way to explore the typical marriage ups and downs. 

I also enjoyed the return of “We were on a respite!” and the stripper/DJ so thoroughly rolling with these bizarrely empty rooms for his Woodstone gigs.

I love how incredibly chill the stripper is with everything. He just does the work, doesn't ask questions, he's just there to have a good time :D. 

17 minutes ago, kathyk2 said:

I also think he feels guilty about his marriage to Beatrice.

Yeah, the fact he explicitly mentioned her by name when talking about his worries pretty well proves that. I definitely think that's another sign that she may show up at some point, either in flashbacks or for a visit, before Isaac even considers walking down the aisle again. I definitely agree there's still a few unresolved issues he's yet to work through about his life with her, and which will help him figure out some things when it comes to marrying Nigel. 

I liked the Pete subplot and hated the downside to his power. What's the point of having an awesome power if you can't use it? .

I think it's good all these ghosts have some downsides to their powers. They can't be too powerful, otherwise that would just make it far too easy to resolve things or do whatever they want. They need those limits. Plus, Pete's the sort of guy who would also be especially conscious about not abusing his power, and yet I can also see him getting so excited about it that he might go a little overboard accidentally, so having this limitation helps ensure he'll always be careful with it. 

I don't understand why the basement ghosts were so angry with the upstairs ghosts. Nancy never spent time with Isaac and Nigel and Flower and Pete were nice to them.

Those three were, yes, but even then, Nigel still made a point of stating that they weren't invited to the wedding, and Thor and Flower seemed pretty eager to go upstairs with the others instead of stayi in the basement with them. Plus, the main group of ghosts in general have always been really dismissive of and grossed out by them and always had some kind of snide comment for them whene they did show up. This tension bubbling over as it did was a long time coming, honesty. 

I do love, though, that their role in Patience stealing Isaac away was totally unintentional :p. The one cholera ghost being like, "We thought she was just going to yell at him" made me laugh. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Like 12
  • LOL 1
15 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I've certainly felt that way about couples I've liked but my gut instinct about Nigel and Isaac is that they intended for Nigel to be a conduit to Isaac's coming out but maybe didn't intend them to be forever or they may not have chosen to make them so similar.  There's only so much they can do with the opposite sides of the war stuff. 

But I'll admit it's also a matter of preference as the Isaac/stripper stuff has made me laugh more than I think I've ever laughed at anything with Nigel and Isaac. 

• Like 11
(edited)
1 hour ago, kathyk2 said:

I don't understand why the basement ghosts were so angry with the upstairs ghosts. Nancy never spent time with Isaac and Nigel and Flower and Pete were nice to them.

The snobby snub from Nigel NOT inviting them to the wedding.  Basically he was saying they were mere peasants and yokels not worthy to attend the ceremony of such a high born person as himself.  Too crude to be seen upstairs.  A rather nasty Nigel there.  I'd be super pissed too.

And the way Nigel phased this snub was to include Isaac as agreeing with same so the basement ghosts would be pissed at him too.  Thus their "gift" to him at the end.

Edited by Skooma
  • Like 12
  • Useful 1

I guess I was wrong about Pete getting teleported back. But parts of him were teleported away.

I like to think that he was contemplating fading away until his junk was gone, then the reality of the situation suddenly became very real to him and he took the next flight back.

That does make it pretty dangerous for him to roam too far from the mansion. Even though he should now have a good idea how long he can be gone. I mean what if flights are grounded for a day or two because of storms? That would screw him over.

-

That basement seems not nearly deep enough to be on the same level as the bottom of the well. I mean it has windows and you usually don't build wells on top of hills.

6 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I think she said, "He's peripheral."

"He's very peripheral. It doesn't matter." to be precise.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1