Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E10: 2 Ava 2 Fest

• Start Topic

(edited)

WEDNESDAY, APRIL 17, 9:00-9:32 p.m. EDT 

Ava Fest is back, and with the help of the teachers, Ava's set on outdoing last year by any means necessary. After Janine accepts the offer for a full-time position at the district, she just has to check off one last thing to make it official. (

Edited by DanaK
Updated synopsis from TBA
  • Like 1

Love that the lunch people were JUST serving Mr. Johnson. And he thought it was trash! Love it.

"Have you ever tried just being hinged?" Ava was great tonight. Of course THIS TIME not only did the guest of honor show up, Quest backed up all of Ava's stories.

"I don't know who that's supposed to be, but he sounds responsible." Barbara's look of terror at Melissa's Austin Powers impression needs to be bottled.

Man, you could just feel the cold feet on Janine all episode. Yeah, Barbara's card got her over the hurdle, but the kids signing the card being the clincher was so sweet. Well, we knew that Janine was gonna come back to Abbott, but THIS soon? Well, it's a short season, after all.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

Woo, dance party :D! And Ava's claims actually panned out for a change! Nice. 

Not the way I thought Janine might return, but I'm also not the slightest bit surprised she would've come back after stressing out like she was. It was clear from the jump she wasn't fully comfortable in this new job, so yeah, nice to see her back with the gang again. I hope that she is still able to use any connections she made in her new job going forward, though, 'cause she had a lot of great ideas and put so much time and effort into everything she was fighting for, and it was great to see her gaining some confidence in her abilities as well. So I look forward to seeing how she'll apply everything she learned in this district job at Abbott. 

Also, the bit with the kids talking about what they put in the card Barbara sent her may or may not have gotten to me a bit :'). Awwwwwwwwww. That was so sweet. As was Barbara's message. 

In other topics, Melissa's impressions, so to speak, were amazing XD. I don't know what was funnier, her trying to impersonate people or Barbara just looking at her constantly like, "...please stop...". 

• Like 8
  • LOL 5
Just now, Annber03 said:

In other topics, Melissa's impressions, so to speak, were amazing XD. I don't know what was funnier, her trying to impersonate people or Barbara just looking at her constantly like, "...please stop...". 

I was living for Melissa's awful impressions, and how they managed to get worse.

• Like 5
  • LOL 7
38 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Barbara's look of terror at Melissa's Austin Powers impression needs to be bottled.

Funniest moment of the episode. Sheryl Lee Ralph is amazing.

• Like 8

I did feel like Janine's storyline was two steps forward, one step back.  She built up some confidence, but seemed too timid when she realized the new job wasn't just about her comfort zone of Abbott.        

I was also a little confused with all the onboarding they were doing with Janine.  Wasn't she already a district employee?  It's certainly a shift to go from teacher to administration, but I didn't understand why she was being treated as a totally new employee. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
7 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I was also a little confused with all the onboarding they were doing with Janine.  Wasn't she already a district employee?  It's certainly a shift to go from teacher to administration, but I didn't understand why she was being treated as a totally new employee. 

She was a fellow, so I assume her position wasn’t funded by the district. Kind of like being a temp made permanent - as a temp you’re employed and paid by the temp agency, not the place where you go to work. Once made permanent you’re employed by the place where you go to work, so you’d get all the employer’s benefits, perks, etc.

• Like 11

This episode had its moments, but it was probably the most predictable the show has ever been. Of course Janine wasn't going to quit Abbott. And when you have everyone screaming at Ava that "Questlove isn't coming!", it's not exactly a surprise when he shows up.

Also, I think they're overdoing it with the celebrity cameos. Is every famous person from Philly going to show up at this one elementary school?

• Like 11
1 hour ago, Empress1 said:

She was a fellow, so I assume her position wasn’t funded by the district. Kind of like being a temp made permanent - as a temp you’re employed and paid by the temp agency, not the place where you go to work. Once made permanent you’re employed by the place where you go to work, so you’d get all the employer’s benefits, perks, etc.

She already worked for the school district as a teacher.  She didn't quit her job as a teacher to become a fellow.  She already should have had a 401K and health care benefits through the district.

• Like 5
5 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

She already worked for the school district as a teacher.  She didn't quit her job as a teacher to become a fellow.  She already should have had a 401K and health care benefits through the district.

I don't know this for certain, but I'm assuming that the benefits Janine was already receiving would have been approved by the teachers' union contract. As district employees, I doubt those folks receive the same benefits. 

That cold open was hilarious. And it made me think of something I read post-Emmys when the Abbott cast and crew showed up the next day to film and someone supposedly yelled, "The Bear is not a comedy!" 

Someone was definitely chopping onions when Janine was reading Ms. Barbara's card. And the kids! Man, I've become such a softie in my old age. 

I absolutely cackled when Manny pulled out the "district chain" they had bought for Janine. Honey, no one wants that ugly thing. Take it back ASAP. 

• Like 9
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Also, the bit with the kids talking about what they put in the card Barbara sent her may or may not have gotten to me a bit :'). Awwwwwwwwww. That was so sweet. 

This was one of my favorite parts of the ep. Not just the sweetness of what they were saying, but also how they were jostling around for the camera.

3 hours ago, Blakeston said:

This episode had its moments, but it was probably the most predictable the show has ever been. Of course Janine wasn't going to quit Abbott. And when you have everyone screaming at Ava that "Questlove isn't coming!", it's not exactly a surprise when he shows up.

Yeah, I wish I wasn't bothered by all the predictability. I was holding out some hope that Questlove wouldn't show up, just so it wouldn't be predictable, but no. And we all knew that Janine would come back to Abbott. Frankly, I was getting annoyed at how she was reacting to every reminder that she was officially becoming a district employee. I know it was supposed to be funny, but it just bugged me. Maybe I wasn't in the right mood to watch.

I did enjoy the opening with The Bear scenes. And then later when the cafeteria chef (cook?) called out "Corner!" before Ava bumped into her. Then Ava saying, "Are we just yelling out things we see now? Walls! Floor! Huge mess of food!"

Jacob squeaking out "I did" when Ava asked who sent the new flyer out was great.

Another thing I liked was the different district employees. Funny, distinct characters. Esp the one from HR.

I always love hearing people say, "One of us. One of us," from Freaks.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

I also thought the avalanche of welcoming and perks was meant to show that for admins at district central, there is more money for parties and perks, whereas at Abbott, everything is bare bones and must be free. The gifts, the new computer, the party, etc-- they take care of themselves, and there's a double standard.

• Like 11
  • Useful 2
5 hours ago, Blakeston said:

Also, I think they're overdoing it with the celebrity cameos. Is every famous person from Philly going to show up at this one elementary school?

Where was the confident Janine from Library? Mr. Johnson is becoming an unlikable character. I've never seen the Bear so I hated the opening.

• Like 4

Shout out to the cafeteria workers! My mama was one, and she commonly brought food home after school.  Memories...

13 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I did feel like Janine's storyline was two steps forward, one step back.  She built up some confidence, but seemed too timid when she realized the new job wasn't just about her comfort zone of Abbott.

Agreed.  It was clear she missed Abbott before she was offered the district job. I would have liked to see her assert herself earlier. 

That said, I loved the kids' card scene - it was brief but my favorite.    

1 hour ago, possibilities said:

I also thought the avalanche of welcoming and perks was meant to show that for admins at district central, there is more money for parties and perks, whereas at Abbott, everything is bare bones and must be free. The gifts, the new computer, the party, etc-- they take care of themselves, and there's a double standard.

Good point that didn't occur to me when watching the episode. 

39 minutes ago, kathyk2 said:

Mr. Johnson is becoming an unlikable character.

I'm mostly neutral on him, but the meter definitely tipped into "ugh, shut up" during the opening.  But that's my bias showing - nobody insults the CWs! 

• Like 2

I hollered for a solid 2 minutes when the cafeteria woman got pissed at Mr. Johnson and cleared the whole lunch table! I haven't seen The Bear either but it reminded me of every food comp show ever, except of course for the table clearing lol!

I don't even care, I'm glad Janine is back at Abbott. Maybe in a few years she will decide she wants to do more but there is absolutely nothing wrong at all that she went back. She can keep her growth and still go back to teaching because that's where her heart is. And while she did great at the district fellowship, it was obvious through the messages from the children that she is an amazing teacher that these kids will remember for the rest of their lives. And that kind of impact in a child's life is priceless. So for me, her choice wasn't backwards and didn't erase any of her growth, I think it will make her an even better teacher. 

"She pregnant." "Look at her feet!" Never change, Ava and Mr. Johnson! 😂

And, I see you Gregory - that look of alarm that she might be carrying Tariq's baby. And then later during the dance party, they was doing some serious eye fucking. Gat damn, Quinta PULL THE FUCKING TRIGGER ALREADY. If there ain't some serious macking happening between them by the finale, Imma have some words. 😒

• Like 12
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3
18 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

"I don't know who that's supposed to be, but he sounds responsible." Barbara's look of terror at Melissa's Austin Powers impression needs to be bottled.

I think that was my favorite bit of the night. 

• Like 2
(edited)
On 4/18/2024 at 10:00 AM, txhorns79 said:

She already should have had a 401K and health care benefits through the district.

She doesn't need health benefits. She's healthy.

On 4/18/2024 at 10:13 AM, MicheleinPhilly said:

That cold open was hilarious. And it made me think of something I read post-Emmys when the Abbott cast and crew showed up the next day to film and someone supposedly yelled, "The Bear is not a comedy!" 

I'm sure you're right. As long as The Bear is in the same category at the Emmys, Abbott is probably not going to win. And the female star of The Bear (who played Janine's younger sister in an Abbott episode last year) recently won the Best Supporting Actress Comedy Emmy while Quinta won Best Actress. Next year, they'll both be in the Best Actress category if they are nominated.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Useful 1

Outside of the cold open and Melissa's impressions I thought this episode was terrible. It was so predictable. We knew Questlove was going to show up. We knew Janine would end up back at Abbott. I did not find the writing funny or even enjoyable. 

Janine looks like an idiot for her behaviour these past few episodes. She decides to go work for the district, doesn't understand that means doing projects with any and all of the schools, not just Abbott, behaves so erratically when she's being onboarded and then changes her mind during her welcome party. It makes me feel like all her progress this season at being more professional and confident was for nothing because she didn't behave that way at all dealing with this decision.

• Like 10
12 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

She might be healthy, but she (or any other "healthy" person) could have an accident, which could happen to someone young like her.  

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
3 hours ago, vibeology said:

Outside of the cold open and Melissa's impressions I thought this episode was terrible. It was so predictable. We knew Questlove was going to show up. We knew Janine would end up back at Abbott. I did not find the writing funny or even enjoyable. 

Janine looks like an idiot for her behaviour these past few episodes. She decides to go work for the district, doesn't understand that means doing projects with any and all of the schools, not just Abbott, behaves so erratically when she's being onboarded and then changes her mind during her welcome party. It makes me feel like all her progress this season at being more professional and confident was for nothing because she didn't behave that way at all dealing with this decision.

I get that, but for me it wasn't idiotic, it was Janine faced with 2 choices and once that became very clear to her, she kinda freaked about it. It was her 'Buridan's donkey' moment, one I've had myself, so I understood her conflicting feelings. 

• Like 8
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

She might be healthy, but she (or any other "healthy" person) could have an accident, which could happen to someone young like her.  

I was paraphrasing her words from this episode.

• Like 4
  • Wink 1
  • Useful 1
14 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I'm sure you're right. As long as The Bear is in the same category at the Emmys, Abbott is probably not going to win. And the female star of The Bear (who played Janine's younger sister in an Abbott episode last year) recently won the Best Supporting Actress Emmy while Quinta won Best Actress. Next year, they'll both be in the Best Actress category if they are nominated.

I have never seen The Bear. Is it funny? It doesn't seem like it would be. 

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I have never seen The Bear. Is it funny? It doesn't seem like it would be. 

I love The Bear.  But that shit is not a comedy. I believe it is put into comedy categories for awards because somebody decided that if something only ran for 30 minutes it was considered a comedy regardless if it was more dramatic than funny.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
5 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

I love The Bear.  But that shit is not a comedy. I believe it is put into comedy categories for awards because somebody decided that if something only ran for 30 minutes it was considered a comedy regardless if it was more dramatic than funny.

Thanks. From the small bits I have seen, it doesn't look funny. That is too bad because the actual comedies are losing out to it. 

• Like 3
(edited)

Big nitpick-PA public school employees don’t have 401K retirement plans. They have PSERS (Pennsylvania Public School Retirement System). And Janine would already be a part of that.

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Useful 2

Mr. Johnson has been grating on me for a while. It's just too much.

I was convinced we were going to find out that Questlove got briefed on exactly what Ava told everyone else--he'd be doing this as a favor to someone, or something like that.

• Like 4

Various mac 'n' cheeses. How many kinds are there?

The dip. That word has some questionable slang meanings. I would've gone with "signer's remorse" or something less potentially problematic.

Ava almost Yoko Ono'd The Roots.

Melissa's impressions all sounded alike to me.

Barbara proceeded to read Ava like she was the original King James Bible before it was translated into English. Then Questlove actually showed up.

Of course Janine returned to Abbott but all those great benefits she turned down though! She truly loves her Abbott kids.

22 hours ago, springbarb said:

I was convinced we were going to find out that Questlove got briefed on exactly what Ava told everyone else--he'd be doing this as a favor to someone, or something like that.

Yes, it sounded to me like Ava paid Questlove to appear, or she blackmailed him. He was citing all their connections word for word like she had coached him on exactly what to say.

• Like 2
(edited)

I was surprised that Janine was able to get her job back at Abbott so easily. I thought Ava had already hired her replacement? And Ava is no fan of hers either, so it would have helped if they’d explained the plot convenience here better. 

I agree with those who weren’t fans of how this played out in order for Janine to return. I liked seeing her blossom at the District and earn respect and get recognition and praise from her colleagues there that is sometimes met with an eyeroll by the Abbott staff. So I wish they’d found a different way for her to find her way back. 

But if this was how she comes back (and I am happy about that) then I can still go with it. Even if predictable, it hit the right emotional beats for me, and they’ve been planting the seeds for a while that she’s been feeling conflicted about staying on at the District. So for what it is, it works. 

Edited by bamlou
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1
12 hours ago, bamlou said:

I was surprised that Janine was able to get her job back at Abbott so easily. I thought Ava had already hired her replacement? And Ava is no fan of hers either, so it would have helped if they’d explained the plot convenience here better. 

If I am not mistaken, Janine never signed anything.  Everything was verbal.  Her job was always hers to come back to once her fellowship was over, hence the revolving door of subs.  And let's face it Ava's 'hiring' practices were a joke.

I admit, I liked her storyline at the district. I thought the way the district characters were written, for such small parts, were excellent.  Each person was a distinct and interesting character and they made the most of the little screen time they had.  I especially liked how they just really liked Janine, like Jacob level liked her. But I admit is was also very nice seeing how really genuinely happy everyone (except Ava) was to have her back.

I liked everything about this episode except the Questlove joke.  It was as obvious as Janine coming back.  And I do think Janine's return was rushed and a skosh clumsily handled, but that might have been a by-product of the truncated season. 

But everything else, was great.  The cold open was brilliant.  The individual characters all had really funny moments, especially Melissa's terrible accents and Barb's reactions to them.  The cafeteria workers are always a fun time. 

And I love that the district HR person is basically the Ava of the District who just hates Janine and thirsts over Gregory.

• Like 6

I appreciated that the district people weren't revealed to be secretly evil just to facilitate/justify Janine's decision to return to Abbott. She just wants to be in the classroom, at least for now.

• Like 13

I'm also glad Janine is back where her heart is, in the classroom. 

And I hope they let her maintain the increased self-confidence and updated clothing style they've let her move into.  She's assuming a more sophisticated but still fun look, so I hope they let her keep it. 

Now we just need to get her & Gregory on track. 

• Like 6
On 4/18/2024 at 10:25 AM, peeayebee said:

This was one of my favorite parts of the ep. Not just the sweetness of what they were saying, but also how they were jostling around for the camera.

The kids on this show are exceptional! I don't know if it is because they are used as students and we don't get deep dives into their personal lives, none seem to be main characters for more than one episode, or what, but they do such a great job just being kids. I loved seeing them bounce around at the end too. It was like they were talking about their real teacher. 

• Like 8
On 4/18/2024 at 10:13 AM, MicheleinPhilly said:

I don't know this for certain, but I'm assuming that the benefits Janine was already receiving would have been approved by the teachers' union contract. As district employees, I doubt those folks receive the same benefits. 

Someone was definitely chopping onions when Janine was reading Ms. Barbara's card. And the kids! Man, I've become such a softie in my old age. 

I absolutely cackled when Manny pulled out the "district chain" they had bought for Janine. Honey, no one wants that ugly thing. Take it back ASAP. 

No union in my state but non-school based employees receive the same as school based employees. We all work for the district. It confused me greatly. The only difference would be is if they were contract employees such as long term sub or a supply. There was no change in my benefits when I went from a school based to district based. 

Despite that, I enjoyed the episode.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I just watched this and the best part for me was seeing the cafeteria workers again.  I'd like to see more of them in future episodes.  

I also liked the district people, and while I can understand Janine wanting to return to Abbott, I'd like to see that group make occasional appearances.

• Like 5
(edited)
On 4/24/2024 at 2:13 PM, sara416 said:

The kids on this show are exceptional! I don't know if it is because they are used as students and we don't get deep dives into their personal lives, none seem to be main characters for more than one episode, or what, but they do such a great job just being kids. I loved seeing them bounce around at the end too. It was like they were talking about their real teacher. 

‘Abbott Elementary’ Teaches Reading, Writing and Roll Camera https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/26/arts/television/abbott-elementary.html?unlocked_article_code=1.n00.75vz.Ha0c-9UsvT5v

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Like 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2