Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E08: Episode 8

• Start Topic

(edited)

PBS makes episodes available on Passport before they air on PBS. Discussion in this thread may contain plot information pertaining to the episode before it airs on PBS. Do not use spoiler tags.

Miss Higgins receives an unexpected visitor, and Sister Monica Joan ruffles feathers. Poplar votes for its Mother of the Year.

Season finale.

Edited by chitowngirl
(edited)

Finale already!!! : (

I haven’t cried with this show in a while, but that hug with Miss Higgins and her son broke me. Very emotional and very real story. Love her relationship with Phyllis too and I still hope a little bit, that Sgt Woolf can visit her again. They were sweet.

I didn't understand how Ms Higgin's knew about "Victor" when she thought of him as "John" or how they knew where she was or had a photo of her young. Was it explained and I missed it? I'll suspend reality either way because it was well done despite.

This synopsis didn't explain it either https://www.whattowatch.com/features/call-the-midwife-season-13-ending-explained-a-devastating-death-and-trixies-exit

The Mother's Day award twist was nice and well deserved but Reggie's planter was definitely sweet and would be much loved by his mom.

I'm glad May's story line was tied up in a bow and mercifully Trixie was put off to the US before she fell down the rabbit hole and was aloof or cold with any more patients. They ruined her character and it wasn't needed. Her brother was welcome respite. I'm also happy the blackmailer got his walking papers and was afraid that would go on longer and be a soap opera like side story. Maybe a divorce will be neatly done by next season.

Edited by debraran
  • Like 5
  • Applause 2
  • Love 3
On 4/6/2024 at 5:55 AM, debraran said:

I didn't understand how Ms Higgin's knew about "Victor" when she thought of him as "John" or how they knew where she was or had a photo of her young. Was it explained and I missed it? I'll suspend reality either way because it was well done despite.

It wasn't entirely clear, but my guess is she left some record with the agency that adopted him out?  I loved that Phyllis was a rock for her during the storyline.

The last twenty minutes was all tears.  I appreciated that Millicent's son's family took to Millicent instantly, and it was nice she got to be with her son prior to his death.  When she mentioned being there for his first and last breaths, I lost it a little bit. 

I also really liked Trixie's brother taking a hard line with her on her pill use, and that moment when she accidentally set herself on fire was legit scary.

The Mother of the Year contest was lovely as well from Reggie talking about his two mothers to the surprise ending where Sister Julienne was honored. 

Also, good for Joyce for standing up to her sleazebag of a husband.   

• Like 11
  • Love 8
5 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

It wasn't entirely clear, but my guess is she left some record with the agency that adopted him out?  I loved that Phyllis was a rock for her during the storyline.

The last twenty minutes was all tears.  I appreciated that Millicent's son's family took to Millicent instantly, and it was nice she got to be with her son prior to his death.  When she mentioned being there for his first and last breaths, I lost it a little bit. 

I also really liked Trixie's brother taking a hard line with her on her pill use, and that moment when she accidentally set herself on fire was legit scary.

The Mother of the Year contest was lovely as well from Reggie talking about his two mothers to the surprise ending where Sister Julienne was honored. 

Also, good for Joyce for standing up to her sleazebag of a husband.   

Yes, I wish they didn't rush finding her son and his death in one episode. I found my only complaint was the constant going back and forth with so many plots. Ms Higgins is talking about her son, a woman is screaming in labor and back and forth, it felt choppy to me this episode vs others. Maybe because one one was more emotional than others. I didn't feel anything bad was going to happen with May so I wasn't as invested.

I didn't know if you could leave something back then, but maybe in the that country you could. I wonder if Harry will make an appearance or at least have Ms Higgins say she is visiting him or going to graduation.

• Like 9
4 hours ago, debraran said:

I found my only complaint was the constant going back and forth with so many plots. Ms Higgins is talking about her son, a woman is screaming in labor and back and forth, it felt choppy to me this episode vs others. Maybe because one one was more emotional than others. I didn't feel anything bad was going to happen with May so I wasn't as invested.

I agree they jammed a lot into the last episode.  If I had my way, I would have dropped the May storyline since it went nowhere. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1
On 4/6/2024 at 4:55 AM, debraran said:

She knew details of the couple adopting her son.  She said the woman was of Dutch extraction and the man was Hindu.  I think she knew their names.

• Like 4
  • Useful 4
On 4/6/2024 at 4:55 AM, debraran said:

I'm glad May's story line was tied up in a bow and mercifully Trixie was put off to the US before she fell down the rabbit hole and was aloof or cold with any more patients. They ruined her character and it wasn't needed. Her brother was welcome respite. I'm also happy the blackmailer got his walking papers and was afraid that would go on longer and be a soap opera like side story. Maybe a divorce will be neatly done by next season.

I hated the way they entirely wrecked Trixie's character.  For whatever reason they are appear to be writing out Trixie and/or Matthew, it couldn't have been done more clumsily.

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
3 hours ago, Suzn said:

She knew details of the couple adopting her son.  She said the woman was of Dutch extraction and the man was Hindu.  I think she knew their names.

She must have just seen the woman was Hindu and the name Victor didn't matter. I just thought it was odd back then that they would connect people. Some even today have a hard time

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, debraran said:

She must have just seen the woman was Hindu and the name Victor didn't matter. I just thought it was odd back then that they would connect people. Some even today have a hard time

I took it that they were a mixed couple and a good fit for her son.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
53 minutes ago, Suzn said:

I took it that they were a mixed couple and a good fit for her son.

Yes, that was nice. I wonder if they had him have a son (the up and coming dentist) to have him possibly be in the show again or at least have Ms Higgins mention him or go to his graduation etc.

• Like 4
51 minutes ago, debraran said:

Yes, that was nice. I wonder if they had him have a son (the up and coming dentist) to have him possibly be in the show again or at least have Ms Higgins mention him or go to his graduation etc.

I hope we see the grandson again.  That offers some fresh storylines.

• Like 9

Miss Higgins storyline almost broke me. I teared up when she and her son hugged each other. 

So glad Joyce told someone about her horrible husband, Nonnatus did not disappoint in their reaction.

I'm sorry to see Trixie go, but if this is the best they can write for the character then it's for the best.

So happy for Sister Julienne winning mother of the year.

• Like 15
  • Love 1

I think I read CTM has 2 more years. I keep thinking when I watch it, how wonderful to end it with a reunion of some of the old cast at possibly a funeral . Sister Monica Joan is the oldest and if she had a peaceful death and they honored her with a memorial/funeral, and word got out to old friends, how lovely to have them all come to see the woman, the Sister who interacted and loved them so much. Chummy, Jenny, Patsy, Delia etc.

Most have said they are open to a cameo or one time visit but I know negotiations and money etc would also be part of it. I think since wakes bring so many together who never see each other, it might be a mix of sadness and joy which is what the show is so good at.

• Like 2
  • Love 6
(edited)

Just binge-watched the last five episodes of the season tonight and I agree that this last one was a bit of a mixed bag episode with a lot going on.  My favourite storyline was the Miss Higgins one - I just assumed she was a childless spinster so it was quite a shock to discover that she had both a son and a grandson out there.  Such a shame they immediately had to kill off said son and that made my living room very dusty but I'm hoping Millicent gets to continue a relationship with the grandson, who seemed lovely.  This storyline appeared really rushed and so did the Joyce/stalking creep husband storyline.  I think the writers could have done a lot more with both of these arcs.  But the Matthew/Trixie arc has just been dreadful this season.  It's like they've both been replaced by pod persons or something.  Neither of them has really been acting in a way which is true to their character and it's quite disconcerting.  And apparently after all that...

Spoiler

I just read the character of Trixie is NOT leaving (even though they seemed to want us to think she is?)

The ending was lovely, though.  Sister Julienne rocks and deserves every bit of recognition for her contribution to the Poplar landscape. 

Edited by katisha
  • Like 9
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2

Just stopping by to let you know I won't be doing a deleted scenes post for this episode.  I know there are websites that have the BBC version of the show available but I'm not sure what the rules are for posting those sites here.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 4
  • Thanks 2

This episode was so rushed!
I was shocked the oh so proper Miss Higgins had a baby out of wedlock but it was a lovely and heartbreaking story, too bad her son died but she has a grandson. Hope we see him in future episodes. 
I’m glad the Turners had a happy ending with Mae. 
Too bad they messed up Trixie and Matthews story. Hope they do better with Trixie next season. 

I'm glad Joyce got help with hopefully getting rid of her creepy, abusive husband. 
My favorite part of this episode was Sister Veronica beaming Sister MJ in the head with the wash rag. No, just kidding, it was Sister Julienne getting the Mothers Day award.  
I can’t wait until next year for the next season. 

• Like 11

Well that was a three hanky episode!

So Miss Higgins has a past!  Her family were so wonderful and her son gone too soon.  I hope we get to see more of her grandson in the future and he just doesn't disappear.  What a handsome lad.

Sr. J got richly deserved recognition.  Good for her.

They have really truly screwed up Trixie.  I can't see how this can turn out well.

Good riddance, Sylvester.

• Like 10

I wish they didn't rush finding her son and his death in one episode. I found my only complaint was the constant going back and forth with so many plots.

I'm not surprised that they used the final episode to tie up all the soap opera story lines (including the new one about Mrs. Higgins) they always end that way.  This hasn't been my favorite series.

They did introduce one new soap opera for the future. When Sister Julienne had to deal with Sister Monica Joan behaving like a child yet again, she exited the room holding her midsection.  They apparently haven't forgotten that she was badly injured in a train accident, and hope to put it to use. (again, only observation, not spoilers, I know nothing)

• Like 9

Could Sylvester holding up the pay packet from Nonnatus house in church be any more contrived? I mean, I’m glad it all came out and he was (presumably) arrested, but what a long way around to get there. First they had to show the Checkov’s pay packets being stamped, then we had to see Joyce hand it over, and then he had to hold it up in church (who does that?) as the other nurse just happened to peek in while on her quest to find a church. (Which also had to be established) Yowza!

As soon as Trixie spilled that alcohol on her dress, I started watching from behind my hands. Again, contrived much? Oh, we’re out of test strips. Really? Let’s let Trixie, who has been stumbling around like the walking dead, do something complicated with alcohol and fire. What could go wrong?

The Miss Higgins story line made up for it all, though. I hope she is able to keep in touch with her newly found grandson. 

Badger, why are you not able to provide the omitted scenes for us Yanks who miss out? Did you get in some kind of trouble from the powers that be? I’m sorry if you did, but thank you for doing it all season.

• Like 18
On 4/8/2024 at 3:40 PM, debraran said:

When he first appeared, I was struck by his resemblance to Millicent!

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Jodithgrace said:

As soon as Trixie spilled that alcohol on her dress, I started watching from behind my hands. Again, contrived much? Oh, we’re out of test strips. Really? Let’s let Trixie, who has been stumbling around like the walking dead, do something complicated with alcohol and fire. What could go wrong?

I assume she was wearing cotton or wool stockings.  If those had been polyester, she would have been in the ICU (or historical equivalent), not mincing around in her pajamas complaining about the burn ointment.

• Like 5
8 hours ago, Jodithgrace said:

Could Sylvester holding up the pay packet from Nonnatus house in church be any more contrived?

I really loved that! Just proved that he was so deluded by his need for self-aggrandizement he was too stupid to realize he was indicting himself by displaying “his” pay packet. As if the whole community wouldn’t recognize or read it. Pride (false as it was) goeth……

4 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I assume she was wearing cotton or wool stockings.  If those had been polyester, she would have been in the ICU (or historical equivalent), not mincing around in her pajamas complaining about the burn ointment.

Had to laugh at continuity, though. Minutes after seeing her pulling her pajama pant legs away from her sore wounds, she’s sitting comfortably with legs crossed having a heart to heart with her brother. 

• Like 10
  • LOL 1
On 4/9/2024 at 10:04 AM, jah1986 said:

Miss Higgins storyline almost broke me. I teared up when she and her son hugged each other. 

So glad Joyce told someone about her horrible husband, Nonnatus did not disappoint in their reaction.

I'm sorry to see Trixie go, but if this is the best they can write for the character then it's for the best.

So happy for Sister Julienne winning mother of the year.

Conjecture: We’ll see Trixie back from NY the next time a new episode is aired. The next should be the Christmas special, no?

• Like 7

Finally, the first episode this entire season that I teared up at. The story line for Miss Higgins was beautiful and sad. Her line about being there for his first breath and his last... I just lost it. It was all handled so well, no resentment just love. And the end with Sr. Julianne was lovely. 

Trixie, come back when you are yourself again. 

I did like the scene of Sr. Veronica throwing the wash rag at Sr. MJ's head though! 

• Like 10
  • Love 3

When Miss Higgins was first introduced she was so stern and inflexible.  Her character has grown and changed so much since then.  Now she is a beaming grandma with the warmest smile.  She's one of my fav characters, especially when she and Phyllis are together.  My heart broke for her when she had so little time with her son when they clearly came to adore each other quickly.  First and last breath.

• Like 11
  • Love 12

Even though the "first and last breath" came straight out of Steel Magnolias, it still brought me to tears.  It was delightful to see Miss Higgins smiling so much as she got to know her son.

• Like 3
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, Jodithgrace said:

Could Sylvester holding up the pay packet from Nonnatus house in church be any more contrived? I mean, I’m glad it all came out and he was (presumably) arrested, but what a long way around to get there. First they had to show the Checkov’s pay packets being stamped, then we had to see Joyce hand it over, and then he had to hold it up in church (who does that?) as the other nurse just happened to peek in while on her quest to find a church. (Which also had to be established) Yowza!

The Miss Higgins story line made up for it all, though. I hope she is able to keep in touch with her newly found grandson. 

Badger, why are you not able to provide the omitted scenes for us Yanks who miss out? Did you get in some kind of trouble from the powers that be? I’m sorry if you did, but thank you for doing it all season.

No, I didn't get into any trouble.  My VPN is very haphazard when it comes to the BBC and right now it's not working there  The websites that have the BBC version of the show tend to buffer too much for me.  

• Sad 3
44 minutes ago, Orcinus orca said:

Even though the "first and last breath" came straight out of Steel Magnolias, it still brought me to tears.  It was delightful to see Miss Higgins smiling so much as she got to know her son.

Yes. Even though he was ill, all those years of not knowing…finally to find out he’d had a good life. Plus the added bonus of a daughter-in-law and a grandson. Best story of the lot.

• Like 14
  • Love 5

I agree this episode felt disjointed and choppy. Maybe the first time I was really aware of cuts being made. 

Miss Higgins' story was sweet. Something that I didn't think made sense though was when they were looking at the slides at the end. Presumably these were slides brought by her son and his wife for her to see, but somehow there was a slide of Miss Higgins in her youth thrown into the mix. How would they have gotten that?

I can't help feeling the Turners were being overly melodramatic about the situation with May. This was a foster arrangement from the start. I know they have grown very close to her and maybe even think of her as their own, but realistically they had to know there was always a chance she would leave them, and should have prepared themselves better. Plus it's not as if they don't have other children, there's Angela and their son (what's his name?) plus Timothy. They had a responsibility to prepare them of the possibility of May leaving them.

I feel like this season spent too much time on Rosalind and Joyce, at the expense of characters like Sister Julienne who was mostly a background character this season, and Sister Veronica and Nancy. And I still don't feel like I have a good handle on who Rosalind is, she's been sort of all over the place.

• Like 4
(edited)
46 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

there's Angela and their son (what's his name?) plus Timothy. They had a responsibility to prepare them of the possibility of May leaving them.

Teddy. I’d agree with that as long as they did the preparing privately, within their own hearts. The point was to give May a sense of stable, loving security, and not allow her to worry about the future (that’s the parent's responsibility). Developmentally, kids develop problems without that, and they manifest in all sorts of behavioral ways. Age wise, Timothy was the only sib old enough to handle the possible loss, and he’s been aware of it all along.

Edited by Daff
  • Like 6
14 hours ago, Jodithgrace said:

As soon as she was told to do it the "old fashioned way," I was expecting her to go out and kill a rabbit. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 8
56 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

How would they have gotten that?

I didn’t rewatch, but here’s what I think: Miss H met the young man while working together, became friends and met his family. They did things families do together and invited her along. More developed between them and it was his father’s family who insisted on adoption and found the adoptive family. When the boy became an adult, the adoptive family helped him to find his bio parents. I suspect that the biological paternal grandparents shared the slides with him and directed him to England and Miss H.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, Daff said:

I didn’t rewatch, but here’s what I think: Miss H met the young man while working together, became friends and met his family. They did things families do together and invited her along. More developed between them and it was his father’s family who insisted on adoption and found the adoptive family. When the boy became an adult, the adoptive family helped him to find his bio parents. I suspect that the biological paternal grandparents shared the slides with him and directed him to England and Miss H.

According to Miss Higgins, her partner's family were observant Hindus.  Culturally, there is no dating before marriage, let alone sex, and marriages are arranged by the parents for their children.  Even platonic boy/girl activities would be closely supervised, especially back in those days.  No way his parents would approve of his even having a friendship with a non-Hindu white woman from England; let alone think it was ok for them to pursue activities of any sort without a chaperone.  The pregnancy would've killed them..  His prospective bride's parents would've consider this sort of thing to be scandalous and the marriage might've been canceled because of it.

I think, most likely, Miss Higgins had some pictures of herself taken during that time by friends at various outings and added them to her son's photos so they could all enjoy them. Or, perhaps her former lover had some photos of her which he gave to his son before dying.

I must say, I have really enjoyed the character development of Miss Higgins over the years.

I worked with a Hindu Indian woman.  Her father was considered quite 'progressive' back when she got married in the late 70's.  First, he asked her if she was ready, most women were not asked their opinion. He asked what she was looking for in a husband.  She was in graduate school and mainly wanted a guy with the same level of education and maybe in a similar profession.  Her parents arranged things.  She asked if she could spend time alone with her future husband to talk before the wedding, this was not the usual thing, the engaged couple didn't get to be alone until after the wedding.  Her father agreed and she was allowed to talk to her fiance in her father's office, each sitting in separate chairs a few feet apart for about half an hour while one of her sisters stood in the open doorway to make sure they didn't get too close.  No way Miss Higgins' partner's family would've been ok with their relationship.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 3
  • Useful 9
17 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

Hope they do better with Trixie next season. 

I'd prefer she stay in New York and not come back at all.

On 4/8/2024 at 5:18 AM, debraran said:

Yes, I wish they didn't rush finding her son and his death in one episode. I found my only complaint was the constant going back and forth with so many plots.

I could've done without any of the women giving birth this episode.  It was just too much crammed it.  Some of the other stories needed more room to breath.

I loved Sister Veronica throwing the washrag back at Sister MJ.  And Sister Julienne making Sister MJ apologize.

57 minutes ago, Notabug said:

I think, most likely, Miss Higgins had some pictures of herself taken during that time by friends at various outings and added them to her son's photos so they could all enjoy them.

That was my take on it.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Daff said:

His family had nothing to do with it, and it wasn't clear he even knew of the pregnancy. Millicent told Phyllis that the widowed friend of her parents she lodged with sent her to "a place she knew" in Lahore, where adoption arrangements were made, and no one was the wiser.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Notabug said:

I think, most likely, Miss Higgins had some pictures of herself taken during that time by friends at various outings and added them to her son's photos so they could all enjoy them. Or, perhaps her former lover had some photos of her which he gave to his son before dying.

But they were watching slides. It isn't feasible that her son would have a slide of her in her youth. (Also, as pointed out above, the biological father most likely didn't even know about the pregnancy let alone have a relationship with him.)

I think the writers just thought this would be a nice family moment and didn't put much thought into it. Because when you try to picture the son and his family bringing out a bunch of slides and Miss Higgins saying "Oh, here is a slide I have of me, throw that in there too" it doesn't make a lot of sense.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I think the writers just thought this would be a nice family moment and didn't put much thought into it. Because when you try to picture the son and his family bringing out a bunch of slides and Miss Higgins saying "Oh, here is a slide I have of me, throw that in there too" it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Yeah, that whole story was a bit of a head scratcher.  Maybe there was more explanation in deleted scenes but I was flummoxed at the end as to how that whole thing played out.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

I will be the grumpy one but I thought the whole Miss HIggins story could have been missed, or at least put in another episode. So many other things were happening that could have been wrapped up better - running Sylvester out, settling May's story, and wrapping up Trixie and Matthew would been enough. Then you add in Mother of the Year, the mom with all the kids and her sister's kids on the bus and...that's way too much.

I was also pretty grumpy about Trixie's brother telling her to go back to Matthew, who suddenly will be back in a few months? That whole storyline was a mess. Along with everyone else, yes, ugh at the Spirit Fire of Doom.

The whole episode seemed like it was a series finale jerked back to a season finale, especially with the award for Sister Julienne (although that was great).

• Like 3

Millicent stole the show.Her somewhat  crusty exterior,  crumbled  when she met her son, and after that, her grandson. The love between  them , left me with  a very watery face. I've always  loved the friendship  between  Miss Higgins  and Nurse Crane.

I was so happy  little Mae got to stay with her foster parents,  I grabbed  another tissue.

Sister Julienne,  caught off guard,  for mother of the year, was the icing on a lovely episode.

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Orcinus orca said:

Yeah, that whole story was a bit of a head scratcher.  Maybe there was more explanation in deleted scenes but I was flummoxed at the end as to how that whole thing played out.

I wonder if someone who watches in UK can fill that in. Sometimes I see posts, I'll ask on FB. They really rushed that plot and

Spoiler

I wonder if when they decided not to renew Matthew they needed something else for what they had planned for them.

Who knows? I liked the story, it was just crammed with so much, you wanted to savor the emotions and feelings more without cuts to labor.

3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

But they were watching slides. It isn't feasible that her son would have a slide of her in her youth. (Also, as pointed out above, the biological father most likely didn't even know about the pregnancy let alone have a relationship with him.)

Back in the 60's, a lot of people put their old photos onto slides and having friends and family over to watch them was not unusual at all.  Where did the slide projector come from?  I doubt the son brought it from India or even that the grandson had one at college that he decided to lug down to London on the off chance there'd be slides to look at.  If Miss Higgins had a slide projector, there's every reason to think she also had slides to show on it.

• Like 5
(edited)
5 hours ago, caitmcg said:

His family had nothing to do with it, and it wasn't clear he even knew of the pregnancy. Millicent told Phyllis that the widowed friend of her parents she lodged with sent her to "a place she knew" in Lahore, where adoption arrangements were made, and no one was the wiser.

I thought she probably sent a picture of herself for the adoptive parents to give, at their choosing and appropriate time to her son.  She must have also made sure her information was available for him to find her in time.  And no way the natural father's family knew anything about the pregnancy.  Phyllis asked her if they dated, using a phrase from the past that I can't remember now. Miss Higgins said no, it would not be allowed.  I assume they saw each other in secret.  Miss Higgins, knowing his plight may not have even told him that she was with child. I can't remember if she did or not.  She may have just left to go to Lahore.

Phyllis may have had a slide projector. She's the photographer of the group.  If nothing else, let's just give artistic license that it made a lovely scene with the family.

Edited by howiveaddict
  • Like 4
41 minutes ago, howiveaddict said:

I thought she probably sent a picture of herself for the adoptive parents to give, at their choosing and appropriate time to her son.  She must have also made sure her information was available for him to find her in time.  And no way the natural father's family knew anything about the pregnancy.  Phyllis asked her if they dated, using a phrase from the past that I can't remember now. Miss Higgins said no, it would not be allowed.  I assume they saw each other in secret.  Miss Higgins, knowing his plight may not have even told him that she was with child. I can't remember if she did or not.  She may have just left to go to Lahore.

Phyllis may have had a slide projector. She's the photographer of the group.  If nothing else, let's just give artistic license that it made a lovely scene with the family.

Adoption in 1930 or so, doesn't involve a picture of the birth mother to be given to the child when appropriate.  This is a much later practice.  There were closed adoptions in the 30's.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Doublemint said:

There were closed adoptions in the 30's.

In India?  I'm not sure there were even legal adoptions, kids were just handed off to whomever would take them.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2024 at 5:18 AM, debraran said:

I wonder if Harry will make an appearance or at least have Ms Higgins say she is visiting him or going to graduation.

Liverpool to London is a pretty long trip so it wouldn't be a simple visit, but he could visit her during school vacations. 

On 4/8/2024 at 10:27 AM, Good Queen Jane said:

Trixie’s brother is fast becoming my favorite character. I would watch a whole series about him.

I didn't even realize I wanted this until you suggested it. 

On 4/8/2024 at 4:32 PM, Suzn said:

I hope we see the grandson again.  That offers some fresh storylines.

Same here. I'm horrible at math. Is the grandson close in age to Timothy? If Harry is in London visiting his grandmother, would it be super awkward (in terms of age difference) for Timothy to invite Harry to do something with his friends? 

On 5/5/2024 at 9:08 PM, Straycat80 said:

I was shocked the oh so proper Miss Higgins had a baby out of wedlock but it was a lovely and heartbreaking story, too bad her son died but she has a grandson. Hope we see him in future episodes. 

I was surprised too, but I liked the way they handled it. I want to see Harry again as well. 

16 hours ago, Daff said:

I really loved that! Just proved that he was so deluded by his need for self-aggrandizement he was too stupid to realize he was indicting himself by displaying “his” pay packet. As if the whole community wouldn’t recognize or read it.

Would the people in the front row have been able to clearly read it? Do Nonnatus House pay packets look drastically different from other employers? Without being able to clearly read it, would people be able to recognize it as Nonnatus House? Rosalind recognized it because it looks exactly the same as hers, but I am not sure if anyone else would instantly know it's a Nonnatus House pay envelope. 

2 hours ago, howiveaddict said:

That makes sense to me.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, howiveaddict said:

The family brought an envelope of photographs.  I assumed Nurse Crane, who is a photographer, took shots of the photos on slide film to create the slides, and added in some contemporaneous ones of Miss Higgins that she (Miss H) provided. 

• Like 6
  • Useful 3

Heavy sigh, this is the first time I'm glad a season is finally over. 

The new midwives, the abused wife, Miss Higgins, Mae, I'm sure I'm missing stuff, everything got pushed aside for the TrixieMatthew drama. Which I hated! Ruined a good character AND ruined her (finally) happy ending from last season. 

Fingers crossed for next season being better

• Like 3
5 hours ago, mammaM said:

Heavy sigh, this is the first time I'm glad a season is finally over. 

The new midwives, the abused wife, Miss Higgins, Mae, I'm sure I'm missing stuff, everything got pushed aside for the TrixieMatthew drama. Which I hated! Ruined a good character AND ruined her (finally) happy ending from last season. 

Fingers crossed for next season being better

I didn't like the Trixie/Matthew storyline, but what I didn't like most is all the sudden cuts. It seemed like sometimes scenes within half a second of an actor finishing their lines. Very jolting. I enjoy this show and enjoyed the calm pace of it, now it just seems like it is rushing for too much. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I didn't like the Trixie/Matthew storyline, but what I didn't like most is all the sudden cuts. It seemed like sometimes scenes within half a second of an actor finishing their lines. Very jolting. I enjoy this show and enjoyed the calm pace of it, now it just seems like it is rushing for too much. 

I think part of that is due to the editing that PBS does. When I watch the show on Britbox, each episode is about 58 minutes long because nothing is edited out. I’m not sure how long the eps on PBS are, but they’re considerably shorter than 58 minutes.

• Like 4